Advised by Mahaparsva to take charge of Sita by force, Ravana expresses his inability to do so, because of a curse pronounced against him by Brahma (lord of creation) in the past. Ravana then boasts of his own prowess.
rāvaṇam kruddhamājñāya mahāpārśvo mahābalaḥ |
muhūrta manusaṃcintya prāñjalirvākya mabravīt || 6-13-1
1. aaG^yaaya = noticing; raavaNam = Ravana; kruddham = enraged; mahaabalaaH = a very strong; mahaapaarshvaH = Mahaparsva; anusanchintya = thought; muhuurtam = for a while; praaNjaliH = and with joined palms; abraviit = spoke; vaakyam = these words:
Perceiving Ravana enraged, a very strong demon named Mahaparsva thought for a while and with joined palms, spoke as follows:
yaḥ khalvapi vanam prāpya mṛgavyālaniṣevitam |
na pibenmadhu samprāpya sa naro bāliśo dhruvam || 6-13-2
2. khaluapi = besides indeed; yaH naraH = which man; praapya = after reaching; vanam = a forest; mR^igavyaala nishhevitam = inhabited by wild beasts and vicious elephants; sampraapya = obtained; madhu = honey; na pibet = does not drink; saH = he; dhruvam = surely; baalishaH = is a fool."
"That man indeed is a fool, who after reaching a forest inhabited by wild beasts and vicious elephants and having duly found honey, does not drink it."
īśvarasyeśvaraḥ ko.asti tava śatrunibarhaṇa |
ramasva saha vaidehyā śatrūnākramya mūrdhasu || 6-13-3
3. shatrunibarhaNa = O; annihilator of enemies! KaH = who; asti = is; iishvaraH = a lord; tava = to you; iishvarsya = who are a lord of all? aakramya = stepping upon; muurdhasu = the heads; shatruun = of your enemies; ramasva = you take pleasure; vaidehyaa saha = with Sita."
"O,annihilator of enemies! Who is a lord to you, who are a lord of all? Setting your foot upon the heads of your enemies, take pleasure with Sita."
balātkukkuṭavṛttena pravartasva mahābala |
akramyākramya sītām vai tām bhuṅiksva ca ramasva ca || 6-13-4
4. mahaabala = O; ruler endowed with a mighty prowess! pravartasva = Behave; kukkuTa vR^ittena = in the mode of a cock; balata = using force against her; bhuNkshhva = enjoy; taam siitaam = that Sita; aakramya aakramya = charging and charging; ramasya cha = and revel with her."
"O, ruler endowed with a mighty prowess! Act in the mode of a cock, forcibly against her. Enjoy that Sita, by charging on her again and again and revel with her."
labdhakāmasya te paścādāgamiṣyati kim bhayam |
prāptamaprāptakālam vā sarvam pratividhāsyate || 6-13-5
5. kim bhayam = what fear; aagamishhyati = will come; pashchaat = after; labdhakaamasya = fulfilling your lust? sarvam = All; praaptum = that comes; apraaptakaalam = or yet to come ; pratividhaanyate = will be prevented."
"What fear will be there to you, after fulfilling your lust? All that comes or yet to come will be prevented (by us)."
kumbhakarṇaḥ sahāsmābhirindrajicca mahābalaḥ |
pratiṣedhayitum śaktau savajramapi vajriṇam || 6-13-6
6. kumbhakarNaH = Kumbhakarna; indrajitcha = and Indrajit; mahaabalaH = of great might; asmaabhiHcha = with us; shaktou = are capable; pratishhedhayitum = of keeping off; vajriNam api = even Devendra(god of celestials); savajram = wielding the weapon of a thunderbolt".
"Kumbhakarna and Indrajit of great might together with us are capable of keeping off even Devendra (god of celestials), wielding the weapon of a thunderbolt."
upapradānam sāntvam vā bhedam vā kuśalaiḥ kṛtam |
samatikramya daṇḍena siddhimartheṣu rocaye || 6-13-7
7. samatikramya = having overstepped; upapradaanam = the method of giving away gifts; saa stvam vaa = or gentle means; bhedamvaa = or showing dissention; kR^itam = being done; kushalaiH = by right men ;rochaye = I like; siddhim = accomplishment; artheshhu = in actions; daNDena = through hostility."
"Overstepping the methods of giving away gifts or conciliation or even showing dissention being followed by right men, I like accomplishment of actions through hostile means."
iha prāptānvayam sarvān śatrūṃstava mahābala |
vaśe śastrapratāpena kariṣyāmo na saṃśayaḥ || 6-13-8
8. mahaabala = O; ruler endowed with great might! Vayam = We; karishhyaamaH = shall make; sarvaan = all; tava = your; shatruun = enemies; praaptaan = reached; iha = here; vashe = to surrender; shastraprataapena = by the power of our weapons; na samshayaH = there is no doubt."
"O, ruler endowed with great might! We shall make all your enemies reaching here to surrender, by the power of our weapons. There is no doubt about it."
evamuktastadā rājā mahāpārśvaena rāvaṇaḥ |
tasya sampūjayanvākyamidam vacanamabravīt || 6-13-9
9. tadaa = then; sampuujayan = appreciating; tasya = his; vaakyam = words; evam = thus; uktaH = spoken; mahaapaarshvena = by Mahaparsva; raajaa = king; raavaNaH = Ravana; abraviit = spoke; idam = these; vachanam = words:
Appreciating the words spoken thus by Mahaparsva, King Ravana spoke the following words:
mahāpārśva nibodha tvam rahasyam kiṃcidātmanaḥ |
ciravṛttam tadākhyāsye yadavāptam purā mayā || 6-13-10
10. mahaapaarshva = " O;Mahaparsva; nibodha = know; kimchit = a little; rahasyam = secret; aatmanaH = about me; aakhyaasye = I shall tell; tat = that; yat = which; avaaptam = was obtained; mayaa = by me; puraa = previously; chiravR^ittaam = which occurred long ago."
"O, Mahaparsva! Know a little secret about me. I shall tell you an incident, which occurred to me long ago."
pitāmahasya bhavanam gaccantīm puñjikasthalām |
cañcūryamāṇāmadrākṣamākāśe.agniśikhāmiva || 6-13-11
11. adraakshham = I saw; puNjikasthala = Punjikasthala; (by name); agnishikhaamiva = gleaming like a flame; chaNchuuryamaaNaam = concealing herself (for fear of me); aakaashe = in the sky; gachchhantiim = and proceeding; bhavanam = to the abode; pitaamahasya = of Brahma."
"Once I saw a celestial nymph, Punjikasthala(by name) flashing like a flame, concealing herself in the sky and proceeding towards the abode of Brahma."
sā prasahya mayā bhuktā kṛtā vivasanā tataḥ |
svayambhūbhavanam prāptā lolitā nalinī yathā || 6-13-12
12. saa = she; kR^itaa = was made; vivasanaa = unclothed; bhuktaa = and was enjoyedmayaa = by me; prahasya = forcibly; tataH = thereafter; praaptaa = she reached; svayambhuu bhavanam = the abode of Brahma; naliniiyathaa = like a lotus; lolitaa = which was crumled."
"She was made unclothed by me and was enjoyed forcibly. Thereafter, appearing like a crumpled lotus, she went to the abode of Brahma."
tacca tasya tadā manye jñātamāsīnmahātmanaḥ |
atha samkupito vedhā māmidam vākyamabravī || 6-13-13
13. manye = I think; tachcha = it; G^yaatam = was informed; tadaa = then; tasya = to Brahma; mahaatmanaH = the high soled; atha = and then; samkupitaH = the enraged; vedhaaH = Brahama; abraviit = spoke; idam = these; vaakyam = words; maam = to me."
"I think that the matter was made known to the high soled Brahama and then the enraged Brahma spoke to me the following words:
adyaprabhṛti yāmanyām balānnārīm gamiṣyasi |
tadā te śatadhā murdhā phaliṣyati na saṃśayaḥ || 6-13-14
14. adya prabhR^ti = from today onwards; gamishhyasi = if you revel with ; yaam anyaam = any other; naariim = woman; balaan = forcibly; tadaa = then; te = your; muurthaa = head; phalishhyati = will break asunder; shatadhaa = into hundred (pieces); na samshayaH = there is no doubt."
"From today onwards, if you revel with any other woman forcibly, your head then undoubtedly will break asunder into a hundred pieces."
ityaham tasya śāpasya bhītaḥ prasabhameva tām |
nārohaye balātsītām vaidehīm śayne śubhe || 6-13-15
15. bhiitaH = fearing; tasya = his; shaapasya = curse; iti = in this manner; aham = I; naarohye taam siitaam vaidehiim = am not making that Sita; the daughter of king Videha to mount; shube = (my) beautiful; shayane = bed; prasabhameva = hurriedly."
"Fearing the curse given in this manner by Brahama, I am not violently making Sita the daughter of Videha, to mount on my beautiful bed forcibly."
sāgarasyeva me vego mārutasyeva me gatiḥ |
naitaddāśarathirveda hyāpādayati tena mām || 6-13-16
16. me = my; vegaH = swiftness; saagarasyeva = is like that of an ocean; me = my; gatiH = movement; maarutasyeva = is like that of wind; daasarathiH = Rama = na veda = does not know; etad = this; tena = that is why; aasaadayati hi = he is indeed attacking; maam = me."
"My swiftness is like that of an ocean. My movement is like that of a wind. Rama does not know this and hence he is indeed having an encounter with me."
ko hi simhamivāsīnam suptam giriguhāśaye |
kruddham mṛtyumivā.asīnam sambodhayitumiccati || 6-13-17
17. kohi = who; ichchhati = wants; sambodhayitum = to arouse; (me); aasiinam = sitting; simham iva = like a lion; suptam = sleeping; giriguhaashaye = at a place in a mountain cave; mR^ityum iva = like death; aasiinam = sitting; kR^Iddham = enraged."
"If not otherwise, who wants to arouse me (for a combat) as one would awaken a lion asleep, sitting at a place in a mountain cave or arouse into activity an enraged Death?"
na matto nirgatān bāṇān dvijihvān panngāniva |
rāmaḥ paśyati samgrāme tena māmabhigaccati || 6-13-18
18. raamaH = Rama; na pashyati = did not see; baaNaam = the arrows; pannagaaniva = looking like serpents; dvijihvaan = with two tongues; nirgataan = coming forth; mattaH = from me; tena = for that reason; abhigachchhati = he is coming against; maam = me; samgraame = in battle."
"Rama did not see the arrows, looking like two tongued serpents, coming forth from me. That is why he is marching against me for a battle"
kṣipram vajrasamairbāṇaiḥ śatadhā kārmukacutaiḥ |
rāmamādīpayiṣyāmi ulkabhiriva kuñjaram || 6-13-19
19. aadiipayishhyaami = I shall blaze up; raamam = Rama; kshhipram = quickly; baaNaiH = by arrows; vajrasamaiH = resembling thunderbolts; shatadhaa = in hundreds; kaarmukachyutaiH = released from my bow; kuNjaram iva = like an elephant; ullaabhiH = with fire brands."
"I shall blaze up Rama swiftly with my arrows in hundreds resembling thunder bolts discharged from my bow, like tormenting an elephant with fire brands."
taccāsya balamādāsye balena mahatā vṛtaḥ |
uditaḥ savitā kāle nakṣatrāṇām prabhāmiva || 6-13-20
20. vR^itaH = surrounded; mahataa balena = by a great army; aadasya = I shall take away; asya = his; tat = that; balam = strength; prabhaamiva = like taking away the light; nakshhatraaNaam = of the stars; uditaH = by a rising; savitaa = sun; kaale = in dawn."
"Surrounded by great army, I shall take away that strength of Rama, as a rising sun at dawn takes away radiance of the stars."
na vāsavenāpi sahasracakṣuṣā |
yudhāsmi śakyo varuṇena vā punaḥ |
mayā tviyam bāhubalena nirjitā |
purā purī vaiśravaṇena pālitā || 6-13-21
21. vaasavenaapi = even by Devendra(Lord of celestials) ; sahasra chakshhushhaa = with thousand eyes; varuNenavaa = or by Varuna(king of the universe); nashakyaH asmi = I am not capable of being conquered; yudhaa = in a battle; puraa = once; iyam purii = this city; paalitaa = ruled; vaishrevaNena = by Kubera; (Lord of riches); nirjitaa = was conquered; mayaa = by me; baahubalena = with the power of my arms."
"Even Devendra (lord of celestials) with thousand eyes or Varuna (king of the Universe) can not conquer me in battle. Once upon a time, this city of Lanka ruled by Kubera (Lord of riches) was conquered by me with the power of my arms."
- - - -
ityārṣe śrīmadrāmāyaṇe ādikāvye yuddhakāṇḍe trayodaśaḥ sargaḥ
|Top of Page||1||2||3||4|
© July 2003, K. M. K. Murthy