Hanuma recounts to Bharata, broad details relating to the soujourn of Rama, Seetha and Lakshmana in the forest from the day Bharata takes wooden sandals of Rama, till the day Ravana is killed.
बहूनि नाम वर्षाणि गतस्य सुमहद्वनम् |
शृणोम्यहं प्रीतिकरं मम नाथस्य कीर्तनम् || ६-१२६-१
1. aham = I; shR^iNomi naama = am indeed hearing; priitikaram = a delightful; kiirtanam = mention; mama naathasya = of my lord; gatasya = who went; sumahat = to the vast; vanam = forest; bahuuni varShaaNi = so many years ago.
"I am indeed hearing a delight mention of my lord, who proceeded to the vast forest so many years ago.
कल्याणी बत गाथेयं लौकिकी प्रतिभाति मे |
एति जीवन्तमानन्दो नरं वर्षशतादपि || ६-१२६-२
2. iyam = this; laukikii = common; gathaa = saying; pratibhaati = sounds; maam = to me; kalyaaNii = good; aanandaH = that bliss; eti = comes; jiivantam naram = to a surviving man; varShashataadapi = even if it be after a hundred years!.
"This common saying sounds to me good, that bliss comes to a surviving man, even if it be after a hundred years!"
राघवस्य हरीणां च कथमासीत्समागमः |
कस्मिन्देशे किमाश्रित्य तत्त्वमाख्याहि पृच्छतः || ६-१२६-३
3. katham = how; kim aashritya = and being supported by what; samaagamaH = an alliance; aasiit = came to be concluded; raaghavasya acha kapiinaamcha = between Rama and he monkeys; kashmin deshe = and at what place?; aakhyaahi tattvam = tell the truth to me; pR^ichchhataH = enquiring as I am.
"How and on what ground, an alliance has been concluded between Rama and the monkeys and at what place? Tell the truth to me, enquiring as I am."
स पृष्टो राजपुत्रेण बृस्यां समुपवेशितः |
आचचक्षे ततः सर्वं रामस्य चरितं वने || ६-१२६-४
4. pR^iShTaH = when asked; raajaputreNa = by Bharata; samupaveshitaH = after making Hanuma to sit; bR^isyaam = on a cushion; saH = Hanuma; tataH = thereupon; aachachakShe = began to narrate; sarve = the entire; charitam = exploits; raamasya = fo Rama; vane = in the forest.
Seated comfortably on a cushion and interrogated by Bharata, Hanuma thereupon began to narrate the entire exploits of Rama in the forest.
यथा प्रव्रजितो रामो मातुर्दत्ते वरे तव |
यथा च पुत्रशोकेन राजा दशरथो मृतः || ६-१२६-५
यथा दूतैस्त्वमानीतस्तूर्णं राजगृहात्प्रभो |
त्वयायोध्यां प्रविष्टेन यथा राज्यं न चेप्सितम् || ६-१२६-६
चित्रकूटं गिरिं गत्वा राज्येनामित्रकर्शनः |
निमन्त्रितस्त्वया भ्राता धर्ममाचरिता सताम् || ६-१२६-७
स्थितेन राज्ञो वचने यथा राज्यं विसर्जितम् |
आर्यस्य पादुके गृह्य यथासि पुनरागतः || ६-१२६-८
सर्वमेतन्महाबाहो यथावद्विदितं तव |
त्वयि प्रतिप्रयाते तु यद्वृत्तं तन्निबोध मे || ६-१२६-९
5-9. prabho = O lord; mahaabaaho = the long armed!; yathaa = how; tava = your; maatuH = mother; dattau = was bestowed with; varau = two boons (by your father); raamaH = how Rama; pravraajitaH = was sent to exile; yathaa = how; dasharathaH = Dasaratha; raajaa = the king; mR^itaH = died; yathaa = how; raajyam = sovereignty; na cha iipsitam = was not coveted; tvayaa = by you; praviShTena = who entered; ayodhyaam = Ayodhya; yathaa = how; tvayaa = by you; aacharataa dharmam = while following righteousness; gatvaa = and going; chitrakuuTa girim = to Mount Chitrakuta bhraataa = Rama your elder brother; amitrakarshanaH = the tormentator of enemies; nimantritaH = was invited; raajyena = to take back the kingdom; yathaa = how; raaJNaH vachane sthitena = Rama who stood by the king's words; visarjitam = abandoned; raajyam = the sovereignty; yathaa = how; punaH aagataH asi = you returned; gR^ihya = taking; paaduke = the wooden sandals; aasyasya = of your brother; sarvam etat = all this; viditam = is known; tava = to you; yathaavat = exactly; me nibodha = you know from me; yat = what; vR^ittam = occured; tvayi pratiprayaate = since you returned to Ayodhya.
"O Lord, the long-armed! How your mother was conferred with two boons by your father, how Rama was sent to exile, how Dasaratha the king died, with a shocking sorrow for his son's exile, how you were brought quickly from Rajagriha (the seat of government of Kekaya kings) by the envoys, how sovereignty was not coveted by you when you returned to Ayodhya, how on your going to mount Chitrakuta, your, elder brother the tormentator of enemies was invited by you who followed righteousness to take back the kingdom, how Rama who stood by his father's words, renounced the kingdom and stood by his father's words, renounced the kingdom and how your returned to Ayodhya, taking with you the wooden sandals all this is known accurately to you. Hear from me now, that which occurred after you had returned to Ayodhya."
अपयाते त्वयि तदा समुद्भ्रान्तमृगद्विजम् |
प्रविवेशाथ विजनं सुमहद्दण्डकावनम् || ६-१२६-१०
10. tvayi apayaate = when you had gone away; tadvanam = that forest (of Chitrakuta); samapadyata = assumed; tadaa = then atyartham paridyuunam iva = a very miserable appearance; samudbhraarta mR^igadvijam = with the frightened animals and birds ( on seeing strange people in the forest).
"When you had gone away, that forest (of Chitrakuta) then assumed a very miserable appearance, with the frightened animals and birds (on seeing strange people there)."
तद्धस्तिमृदितं घोरं सिंहवाग्रमृगाकुलम् |
प्रविवेशाथ विजनं स महद्दण्डकावनम् || ६-१२६-११
11. saH = that Rama; atha = thereupon; pravivesha = entered; tatmahat = that large; ghoram = terrific; viJNanam = and solitary; daN^Dakaaranam = forest of Dandaka; taddhastimR^iditam = which had been trampled by elephants; simhavyaaghra mR^igaakulam = and extensive with lions; tigers and deers.
"Rama, thereupon, entered that large, terrific and solitary forest of Dandaka, which had been trampled by elephants and extensive with lions, tigers and deers."
तेषां पुरस्ताद्बलवान्गच्छतां गहने वने |
विनदन्सुमहानादं विराधः प्रत्यदृश्यत || ६-१२६-१२
12. purastaat = in front; teShaam = of them; gachchhataam = even as they were going; gahane vane = in that dense forest; pratyadR^ishyata = there appeared; viraadhaH = Viradha; a demon; vinadan = uttering forth; sumahaanaadan = a very loud roar.
"In front of them, even as they were going in that dense forest, there appeared Viradha, a demon, uttering forth a very loud roar.
तमुत्क्षिप्य महानादमूर्ध्वबाहुमधोमुखम् |
निखाते प्रक्षिपन्ति स्म नदन्तमिव कुञ्जरम् || ६-१२६-१३
13. tam prakShipantisma = (They) cast him; utkShpya uurdhvabaahum = who rushed with uplifted arms towards them; nikhaate = into a pit; adho mukham = turning his head bent low; nadantam = and who was emitting a loud cry; kuN^jaramiva = like an elephant.
"They cast him, who rushed with uplifted arms towards them, into a pit, turning his head bent low, and who was emitting a loud cry, like an elephant."
तत्कृत्वा दुष्करं कर्म भ्रातरौ रामलक्ष्मणौ |
सायाह्ने शरभङ्गस्य रम्यमाश्रममीयतुः || ६-१२६-१४
14. kR^itvaa = carrying out; tat = that; duShkarma karma = ardous task; raamalakShmanau = Rama and Lakshmana; bhraatarau = both the brothers; iiyatuH = went; ramyam = to the beautiful; aashramam = hermitage; shrabhaN^gasya = of Shrabhanga; saayahne = in the evening.
"Carrying out that ardous task, Rama and Lakshmana, both the brothers, went to the beautiful hermitage of Sharbhanga, in that evening.
शरभङ्गे दिवं प्राप्ते रामः सत्यपराक्रमः |
अभिवाद्य मुनीन्सर्वाञ्जनस्थानमुपागमत् || ६-१२६-१५
15. abhivaadya = offering salutation; sarvaan = to all; muniin = the hermits; sharabhaN^ge = when Sharabhanga; praapate = ascended; divam = to heaven; raamaH = Rama; satya paraakramaH = who was truly mighty; upaagamat = reached; janasthaanam = Janasthana = region.
"Offering salutation to all the hermits when Sharabhanga ascended to heaven, Rama who truly mighty, reached the region of Janasthana."
पश्चाच्चूर्पणखा नाम रामपार्श्वमुपागता |
ततो रामेण संदिष्टो लक्ष्मणः सहसोत्थितः || ६-१२६-१६
प्रगृह्य खड्गं चिच्छेद कर्णनासे महाबलः |
16. pashchaat = thereafter; shuurpaNakhaa maama = a female-demon called Shurpanakha; upaagataa = obtained; raamapaarshvam = the presence of Rama; samdiShTaH = as ordered; raameNa = by Rama; mahaabalah = the mighty; lakShmanaH = Lakshmana; utthitaH = rising; sahasaa = quickly; pragR^ihya = and seizing; khaDgam = a sword; chichchheda = chopped off; karNanaase = her ears and nose.
"Thereafter, a female-demon called Surpanakha sought the presence of Rama. As ordered by Rama, the mighty Lakshmana thereupon rose quickly and seizing a sword, chopped off her ears and nose."
चतुर्दशसहस्राणि रक्षसां भीमकर्मणाम् |
हतानि वसता तत्र राघवेण महात्मना || ६-१२६-१७
17. mahaatmanaa raaghaveNa = by the great-souled Rama; vasataa = who was living; tatra = there; chaturdasha sahasraaNi = fourteen thousand; janasthaana vaasinaam = demons inhabiting Janasthana; hataani = were killed.
"Fourteen thousand demons, inhabiting Janasthana-region, were killed by the great-souled Rama, while sojourning that region."
एकेन सह संगम्य रामेण रणमूर्धनि |
अह्नश्चतुर्थभागेन निःशेषा राक्षसाः कृताः || ६-१२६-१८
18. raakShasaaH = the demons; saha sangamya = who came together; raNamuurdhani = at the battle-front; kR^itaaH niH sheShaaH = were finished; chaturthabhaagena ahnaH = in a fraction of a quarter of a day.
"The demons, who came together at the battle-front, were wholly finished by Rama alone, in a fraction of a quarter of a day."
महाबला महावीर्यास्तपसो विघ्नकारिणः || ६-१२६-१९
निहता राघवेणाजौ दण्डकारण्यवासिनः |
19. mahaabalaaH = mighty; daNDakaaraNya vaasinaH = inhabitants of Dandaka-forest; mahaaviiryaaH = who were causing obstacles; tapsaH = to the austerity; nihataah = were killed; aajau = in combat; raaghaveNa = by Rama.
"The demons who were the mighty inhabitants of Dandaka-forest, who were causing obstacles to the austerity of the ascetics, were killed by Rama."
राक्षसाश्च विनिष्पिष्टाः खरश्च निहतो रणे || ६-१२६-२०
दूषणं चाग्रतो हत्वा त्रिशिरास्तदनन्तम् |
20. raakShasaaH cha = the demons; viniShpiShTaaH = were smashed; rane = in the battle; kharah cha = Khara also; nihataH = was killed; hatvaa = after killing; duuShaNam = Dushana; agrataH = first; trishiraH = Trishira (was killed); tadanantaram = thereafter.
"The demons were smashed in the battle. Khara (their leader) also was killed. After killing Dushana (his brother) first, Trishira (the other brother) was killed thereafter."
ततस्तेनार्दिता बाला रावणं समुपागता || ६-१२६-२१
रावणानुचरो घोरो मारीचो नाम राक्षसः |
लोभयामास वैदेहीं भूत्वा रत्नमयो मृगः || ६-१२६-२२
21-22. tataH = thereupon; arditaa = tormented; tena = by the destruction of demons; baalaa = the foolish Surpanakha; samuppaagataa = approached; raavaNam = Ravana; ghoraH = a terrific; raakShasaH = demon; maariicho naama = by name; Maricha; raavaNaanucharaH = a follower of Ravana; bhuutvaa = diguised; mR^igaH = in the form of a deer; ratnamayaH = studded with precious stones; lobhayaamaasa = allured; vaidehiim Seetha.
"Tormented by the incident of destruction of demons, the foolish Surpanakha sought refuge with Ravana. Disguised in the form of a deer studded with precious stones, a terrific demon by name, Maricha, a follower of Ravana, allured Seetha."
सा राममब्रवीद्दृष्ट्वा वैदेही गृह्यतामिति |
अयं मनोहरह् कान्त आश्रमो नो भविष्यति || ६-१२६-२३
23. saa vaidehii = that Seetha; dR^iShTvaa = on seeing it; abraviit = told; raamam = Rama; iti = saying; ayam = let this deer; gR^ihyataam bhaviShyat = be caught; naH aashramaH = so that our hermitage; manoharaH kaantaH = would be charming and pleasing.
"That Seetha, on seeing it, told Rama, 'Let this deer be caught. Our hermitage will turn out to be charming and pleasing to the eye'."
ततो रामो धनुष्पाणिर्धावन्तमनुधावति |
स तं जघान धावन्तं शरेणानतपर्वणा || ६-१२६-२४
24. tataH = thereupon; raamaH = Rama; dhanuShpaaNiH = wielding a bow; anudhaavati = chased; tam mR^igam = that deer; saH = he; jaghaana = killed; tam dhaavantam = that running deer; shareNa = with an arrow; aanataparvaNaa = having curved knots.
"Thereupon, Rama wielding a bow in his arm, chased that deer and killed that running one, with an arrow of curved knots."
अथ सौम्या दशग्रीवो मृगं याते तु राघवे |
लक्ष्मणे चापि निष्क्रान्ते प्रविवेशाश्रमं तदा || ६-१२६-२५
25. saumya = O good Sir!; raaghave = (while) Rama; yaate = was chasing; mR^igam = the deer; lakShmane chaapi = and even when Lakshmana; niShkraante = had gone out; dashagriivaH = Ravana; atha = then; tadaa = at that time; pravivesha = entered; aashramam = their hermitage.
"O good sir! While Rama was chasing the deer and even when Lakshmana had gone out, Ravana forthwith entered their hermitage during that interval."
जग्राह तरसा सीतां ग्रहः खे रोहिणीम् इव |
त्रातुकामं ततो युद्धे हत्वा गृध्रं जटायुषम् || ६-१२६-२६
प्रगृह्य सहसा सीतां जगामाशु स राक्षसः |
26. saH raakShasaH = Ravana; that demon; tavasaa = forcibly jagraaha = seized; siitaam = Seetha; grahaH rohiNiim iva = even as a planet like Mars would obscure the constellation; Rohini (by interposing itself between the moon and the lunar mansion); hatvaa = killing; gR^iddhram jaTaayuSham = a vulture by name Jatayu; traatukaamam = who sought to deliver her; (Ravana) tataH = then; jagaama = went; sahasaa = quickly; aashu = in haste; pragR^ihya siitaam = taking Seetha with him.
"Ravana, the demon, seized Seetha, even as a planet like Mars would obscure the constellation, Rohini. Having killed a vulture named Jatayu, who sought to deliver her, Ravana then went quickly in haste, taking Seetha with him"
ततस्त्वद्भुतसङ्काशाः स्थिताः पर्वतमूर्धनि || ६-१२६-२७
सीतां गृहीत्वा गच्छन्तं वानराः पर्वतोपमाः |
ददृशुर्विस्मितास्तत्र रावणं राक्षसाधिपम् || ६-१२६-२८
27-28. tataH = then; adbhuta samkaashaaH = in surpise; vaanaraaH = (some) monkeys; sthitaah parvata muurdhani = who were staying on a mountain-peak; parvatopamaaH = looking like mountain; dadR^ishuH = saw; vismitaakaaraaH = with astonishment writ large in their faces; raavaNam = Ravana; raakShasaadhipam = the king of demons; gachchhantam = passing that way; gR^ihiitvaa = taking away; siitaam = Seetha.
"Then, in surprise, some monkeys who was staying on a mountain-peak, looking like mountain, saw, with astonishment writ large in their faces, Ravana the king of demons, passing that way, taking away Seetha."
ततः शीघ्रतरं गत्वा तद्विमानं मनोजवम् |
आरुह्य सह वैदेह्या पुष्पकं स महाबलः || ६-१२६-२९
प्रविवेर्श तदा लङ्कां रावणो लोकरावणः |
29. tataH = then; mahaabalaH = the mighty; raavaNaH = Ravana; raakShaseshvaraH = the king of demons; gatvaa = going; shiighrataram = still faster; aaruhya = and ascending; tat = that; pushpakam vimaanam = aerialcar; Pushpaka; manojavam = which was as swift as thought; vaidehye saha = along with Seetha; tadaa = and thereupon; parvivesha = entered; laN^kaam = the City of Lanka.
"Going still faster and ascending along with Seetha, the aerial car, Pushpaka, which was as swift as thought, the mighty Ravana the king of demons thereupon entered the City of Lanka."
तां सुवर्णपरिक्रान्ते शुभे महति वेश्मनि || ६-१२६-३०
प्रवेश्य मैथिलीं वाक्यैः सान्त्वयामास रावणः |
30. praveshya = conducting; taam maithiliim = that Seetha; shubhe mahati veshmani = into a large beautiful palace; suvarNapariShkaare = decked with gold; sah raavaNaH = that Ravana; saantvayaamaasa = sought to cajole her gently; vaakyaiH = with his words.
"Conducting that Seetha into a large beautiful mansion, embellished with gold, that Ravana sought to cajole her gently with his words."
तृणवद्भाषितं तस्य तं च नैरृतपुंगवम् || ६-१२६-३१
अचिन्तयन्ती वैदेही ह्यशोकवनिकां गता |
31. achintayantii = without caring for; tam nairR^ita pungavam = that Ravana and caring for; tasya bhaaShitam = his talk; tR^iNavat = even as a blade of grass; vaidehii = Seetha; gataa = actually remained; ashoka vanikaam = in Ashoka-grove.
"Caring a straw for that Ravana and his talk, Seetha, later, actually remained in Ashoka-grove."
न्यवर्तत तदा रामो मृगं हत्वा तदा वने || ६-१२६-३२
निवर्तमानः काकुत्स्थो दृष्ट्वा गृध्रं प्रविव्यथे |
गृध्रं हतं तदा दग्ध्वा रामः प्रियसखं पितुः || ६-१२६-३३
32-33. hatvaa = having killed; mR^igam = that deer; raamaH = Rama; tadaa = then; nyavartata = returned (to the hermitage); dR^iShTvaa = seeing gR^idhram = the vulture; Jatayu; vane = in the forest; kaakutthsaH = Rama; vivyathe = was greatly disturbed; dR^iShTvaa = seeing; gR^idhram = the vulture (Jatayu); priyataram = who was dearer to him; pituH = than his own father; hatam = killed; raamaH = Rama (was disturbed).
"Having killed that deer, Rama while returning to the hermitage, saw the vulture (Jatayu) in the forest. Rama was greatly disturbed. Seeing the vulture (Jatayu) who was dearer to him than his own father killed, Rama was disturbed."
मार्गमाणस्तु वैदेहीं राघवः सहलक्ष्मणः |
गोदावरीमनुचरन्वनोद्देशांश्च पुष्पितान् || ६-१२६-३४
34. raamaH = Rama; sahalakShmaNaH = along with Lakshmana; maargamaaNaH = who were searching; vaidehiim = for Seetha; anvacharat = strolled after; puShpitaan vanoddeshaamshcha = blossomed woodlands; godaavariim = along the bank of Godavari-river.
"While searching for Seetha, RAma along with Lakshmana strolled after blossomed woodlands along the bank of Godavari-river."
आसेदतुर्महारण्ये कबन्धं नाम राक्षसं |
ततः कबन्धवचनाद्रामः सत्यपराक्रमः || ६-१२६-३५
ऋश्यमूकं गिरिं गत्वा सुग्रीवेण समागतः |
35. aasetatuH = they met; mahaaraNye = in the great forest; raakShasam = a demon; kabandham naama = Kabandha by name; tataH = then; kabandha vachanaat = according to the advice of Kabandha; raamaH = Rama; satya paraakramaH = of tree prowess; samaagataH = met; sugriiveNa = Sugreeva; gatvaa = after heading for; R^iShyamuukagirim = Mount Rishyamuka.
"They met, in that great forest, a demon by name Kabandha. Then according to the advice of Kabandha, Rama of true prowess met Sugreeva, after heading for Mount Rishyamuka."
तयोः समागमः पूर्वं प्रीत्या हार्दो व्यजायत || ६-१२६-३६
इतरेतर संवादात्प्रगाढः प्रणयस्तयोः |
इतरेतरसंवादात्प्रगाढः प्रणयस्तयोः || ६-१२६-३७
36-37. puurvam = even before (they met); samaagamaH haardaH = a meeting of hearts through affinity; vyjaayata = had taken place; tayoH = between them; sugriivaH = Sugreeva; nirastaH = had been banished; puraa = in the past; kruddhena vaalinaa = by the enraged Vali; bhraatraa = his elder brother; itaretara samvaadaat = and as a result of mutual talks; praNayaH = affection; pragaaDhaH = deeply arose; tayoH = between Rama and Sugreeva.
"Even before they met, a meeting of hearts through affinity, had taken place between them. Sugreeva had been banished in the past by the enraged Vali, his elder brother and as a result of mutual talks, affection deeply arose between Rama and Sugreeva."
रामः स्वबाहुवीर्येण स्वराज्यं प्रत्यपादयत् |
वालिनं समरे हत्वा महाकायं महाबलम् || ६-१२६-३८
38. hatvaa = having killed; svabaahuviiryeNa = with the strength of his arms; samare = in combat; mahaabalam = the mighty; vaalinam = Vali; mahaakaayam = with a colossal body; raamaH = Rama; pratyapaadayat svaraajyam = caused his own kingdom restored (to Sugreeva).
"Having killed with the strength of his arms in combat, the mighty Vali with a colossal body, Rama caused the kingdom of Sugreeva restored.
सुग्रीवः स्थापितो राज्ये सहितः सर्ववानरैः |
रामाय प्रतिजानीते राजपुत्र्यास्तु मार्गणम् || ६-१२६-३९
39. sugriivaH = Sugreeva; sthaapitaH = who was established in his kingdom; sarva vaanavaiH = with all his monkeys; prati jaaniite = had given his pledge; raamaaya = to Rama; maargaNam = to commence a search; raajaputryaaH = for Seetha the princess.
"Sugreeva, who was established in his kingdom with all, his monkeys, had given his pledge to Rama, to commence a search for Seetha the princess."
आदिष्टा वानरेन्द्रेण सुग्रीवेण महात्मना |
दशकोट्यः प्लवङ्गानां सर्वाः प्रस्थापिता दिशः || ६-१२६-४०
40. aadiShTaaH = commanded; mahaatmena sugriiveNa = by the great-souled Sugreeva; vaanarendreNa = the king of monkeys; dasha koTya = ten crores; plavamgaaanaam- of monkeys; prasthaapitaaH = were sent sarvaaH dishaH = to all the four quarter.
"Ten crores of monkeys were accordingly commanded by the great-souled Sugreeva and sent to all the four quarters."
तेषां नो विप्रनष्टानां विन्ध्ये पर्वतसत्तमे |
भृशं शोकाभितप्तानां महान्कालोअत्यवर्तत || ६-१२६-४१
41. vipranaShTaanaam = having lost our way; vindhye = in Vindhya; parvatasattame = the foremost of mountains; mahaan kaalaH = a long time; teShaamnaH atyavartata = slipped past us; bhR^isham shokaabhitaptaanaam = and we felt sore stricken with sorrow.
"Having lost our way in Vindhya, the foremost of mountain-ranges, a long time slipped past us and we felt sore-stricken with sorrow."
भ्राता तु गृध्रराजस्य सम्पातिर्नाम वीर्यवान् |
समाख्याति स्म वसतिं सीताया रावणालये || ६-१२६-४२
42. viiryavaan = the valiant; sampaatirnaama = Sampati by name; bhraataa = the brother; gR^idhra raajasya = of Jatayu (the ling of vultures); samaakhyaati sma = precisely communicated (to us); siitaam = (that) Seetha; vasatiim = was dwelling; raavaNamandire = in the habitation of Ravana.
"Meanwhile, the brother of Jatayu (the king of vultures), Sampati by name, precisely communicated to us that Seetha was dwelling in the habitation of Ravana."
सोअहं दुःखपरीतानां दुःखं तज्ज्ञातिनां नुदन् |
आत्मवीर्यं समास्थाय योजनानां शतं प्लुतः || ६-१२६-४३
43. nudan = removing; tat = that; duHkham = grief; JNaatiinaam = of my kinsfolk; duHkhapariitaanaam = who were seized with sorrow; saH aham = I as such; plutaH = crossed; yojanaanaam shataam = one hundred yojanas (eight hundred miles); samaasthaaya = resorting to; aatmaviiryam = my own strength.
"Removing the grief of my kinsfolk, who were seized with sorrow, I, as such, crossed one hundred yojanas (eight hundred miles of the ocean), resorting to my own strength."
तत्राहमेकामद्राक्षमशोकवनिकां गताम् |
कौशेयवस्त्रां मलिनां निरानन्दां दृढव्रताम् || ६-१२६-४४
44. aham = I; gataam = have gone; tatra = there; ashokavanikaam = to Ashoka-grove; adraakSham = and saw; ekaam = a woman living alone; kausheyavastraam malinaam = clad in a soiled silk-saree; dR^iDhavrataam = unflinching as she was in her vow; niraanandaam = and cheerless.
"There, I saw Seetha, living alone in a grove of Ashoka trees, clad in a soiled silk-saree, looking cheerless, but unflinching in her vow."
तया समेत्य विधिवत्पृष्ट्वा सर्वमनिन्दिताम् |
अभिज्ञानं मया दत्तं रामनामाङ्गुलीयकम् || ६-१२६-४५
45. sametya = meeting; tayaa = her; pR^iShTvaa = and duly enquiring; aninditaam = that faultless Seetha; sarvam = of everything; raamanaamaNguliiyakam = a ring with the name; Rama engraved on it; dattam = was handover to her; mayaa = by me; abhiJNaanam = as token.
"After meeting her and duly enquiring that faultless Seetha, everything of her, a ring with the name, Rama engraved on it, was handed-over to her by me as a token."
अभिज्ञानं मणिं लब्ध्वा चरितार्थोअहमागतः |
मया च पुनरागम्य रामस्याक्लिष्टकर्मणः || ६-१२६-४६
अभिज्ञानं मया दत्तमर्चिष्मान्स महामणिः |
46. labdhvaa = receiving; abhiJNaanam = as a token (in return from her); maNiim = a jewel (from her head); aham aagataH = I came (to the northern sea shore); charitaarthaH = successful as I was in my undertaking; punaH aagamya = on returning; saH archiShmaan mahaamaNiH = that brilliant and valuable jewel; dattham = was given; mayaa = by me; abhiJNaanam = as a token; raamasya = to Rama; akliShTakarmanaH = who was unweary in action.
"Receiving in return from her, a jewel (from her head), I came back to the northern shore, successful as I was in my undertaking. On my return, that brilliant and valuable jewel was given by me as a token to Rama who was unweary in action."
श्रुत्वा तां मैथिलीं हृष्टस्त्वाशशंसे स जीवितम् || ६-१२६-४७
जीवितान्तमनुप्राप्तः पीत्वामृतमिवातुरः |
47. shrutvaa = on hearing; taam maithiliim = the news of Seetha; raamastu = Rama for his part; aashasham se = regained the hope; jivitam = to survivie; jiivitaantam anupaaptah aaturaH = as a dying patient; (would); ptivaa = ond rinking; amR^itam = the ambrosia.
"On hearing the news of Seetha, Rama for his part regained the hope to survive, as a dying patient would, on drinking the ambrosia."
उद्योजयिष्यन्नुद्योगं दध्रे लङ्कावधे मनः || ६-१२६-४८
जिघांसुरिव लोकांस्ते सर्वांल्लोकान्विभावसुः |
48. udyojayiShyan = excited to put forth; udyogam = a war-effort; dadhre manaH = he set his mind; laN^kaavadhe = on the destruction of Lanka; vibhaavasuH iva = as the fire-god; jighaamsuH = intending to destroy; sarvaan lokaan = all the world; (would) lokaante = at the end of the universe.
"Excited as he was to put forth a war-effort, he set his mind on the destruction of Lanka, as the fire-god intending to destroy all the three worlds, would, at the end of the universe."
ततः समुद्रमासाद्य नलं सेतुमकारयत् || ६-१२६-४९
अतरत्कपिवीराणां वाहिनी तेन सेतुना |
49. tataH = then; aasaadya = on reaching; samudram = the ocean; setum akaarayat = he got a bridge constructed; nalam = by Nala; tena setunaa = and through that bridge; vaahinii kapiviiraaNaam = the army of the valiant monkeys; aatarat = crossed (the ocean).
"Then, on reaching the ocean, he got a bridge constructed by Nala and through that bridge, the army of the valiant monkeys crossed the ocean."
प्रहस्तमवधीन्नीलः कुम्भकर्णं तु राघवः || ६-१२६-५०
लक्ष्मणो रावणसुतं स्वयं रामस्तु रावणम् |
50. niilaH = Neela; avadhiit = killed; prahastam = Prahasta; raamaH = Rama; raaghavaH = the scion of Raghu dynasty; svayam = personally (killed); kumbhakarNam = Kumbhakarna; raavaNam = and Ravana; lakShmaNaH = Lakshmana; (killed); raavaNasutam = Indrajit; the son of Ravana.
"Neela killed Prahasta. Rama, the scion of Raghu dynasty, personally killed Kumbhakarna and Ravana. Lakshmana killed Indrajit, the son of Ravana."
स शक्रेण समागम्य यमेन वरुणेन च || ६-१२६-५१
महेश्वरस्वयम्भूभ्यां तथा दशरथेन च |
तैश्च काकुत्थ्सो वरान् लेभे परंतपः || ६-१२६-५२
सुरर्षिभिश्च काकुत्स्थो वरांल्लेभे परन्तपः |
51-52. shriimaan = the illustrious; kaakutthsaH = Rama; paramtapaH = the destroyer of enemies; samaagamya = meeting; shakreNa = Indra the lord of dissolution; varunena cha = Varuna the lord of waters; maheshwara svayambhuubhyaam = Maheshwara; the great lord (Shiva) and Brahma the lord of creation; tathaa = and; dasharathena = Dasaratha (his deceased father); dattavaraH = and was bestowed boons; taiH = by them; lebhe varaan = as also obtained boons; R^ishshibhiH = from sages; surarShibhishacha = and celestial sages; samaagataiH = who came there.
"The illustrious Rama, the destroyer of enemies, happened to meet Indra the lord of celestials, Yama the lord of dissolution, Varuna the lord of waters, Maheshvara, the great lord (Shiva), Brahma the lord of creation as also Dasaratha (his deceased father) and was bestowed boons by them. Sages and celestial masters who came there, too gave boons."
स तु दत्तवरः प्रीत्या वानरैश्च समागतः || ६-१२६-५३
पुष्पकेण विमानेन किष्किन्धामभ्युपागमत् |
53. saH tu = that Rama for his part; dattavaraH = having been granted boons; priitya = with affection (by them); abhyugaamat = reached; kiShkindhaan = Kishkindha; samaagataH = accompanied; vaanaraiH cha = with the monkeys; puShpakena vimaanena = on Pushpaka; the aerial car.
"Having been granted boons, Rama for his part flew to Kishkindha in an aerial car called Pushpaka, along with the monkeys who gathered there."
तं गङ्गां पुनरासाद्य वसन्तं मुनिसंनिधौ || ६-१२६-५४
अविघ्नं पुष्ययोगेन श्वो रामं द्रष्टुमर्हसि |
54. punaH = again; aasaadya = reaching; gaN^gaam = the coast-line of River Ganga; tam raamam = that Rama; vasantam = is staying; munisamnidhau = in the presence of the sage; Bharadwaja; shvaH = tomorrow; puShpayogena = when the moon will be in conjunction with asteroid; pushyaarhasi = you will be able; draShTum = to see (Rama); avighnam = without any obstacle.
"Reaching the coast-line of Ganga-river again, Rama is staying in the presence of the sage, Bharadwaja. Tomorrow, when the moon will be in conjunction with the asteroid, Pushya you will be able to see Rama, without any obstacle."
ततः स सत्यं हनुमद्वचो महन् |
निशम्य हृष्टो भरतः कृताञ्जलिः |
उवाच वाणीं मनसः प्रहर्षिणी |
चिरस्य पूर्णः खलु मे मनोरथः || ६-१२६-५५
55. nishamya = on hearing (that narration); madhuraiH vaakyaiH = with the sweet words; hanuumataH = of Hanuma; bharataH = Bharata; tataH = then; hR^iShTaH = was gladdened; kR^itaaN^jaliH = and offering his salutation to him by joining his palms together; uvaacha = spoke; vaaNiim = the following words; manasaH praharShiNiim = which enraptured his mind; me manorathaH = "My desire; puurNaH khalu = has been indeed fulfilled; chirasya = after a long time."
"Gladdened to hear Rama's impending return to Ayodhya in the sweet words of Hanuma, Bharata offered his salutation by joining his palms together and spoke the following words, which enraptured his mind: 'My desire has been fulfilled indeed after a long time'."
- - - -
इत्यार्षे श्रीमद्रामायणे आदिकाव्ये युद्धकाण्डे षड्विंशत्यधिकशततमः सर्गः
|Top of Page||1||2||3||4|
© October 2009, K. M. K. Murthy
Global View of
The Fastest FTPS anywhere, FREE Go FTP