In the course of their flight to Ayodhya, Rama shows to Seetha, the whole City of Lanka, the battle-field where Ravana and other demons were killed, Nala-Setu the bridge which was built across the ocean, Mount Mainka, Setu-bandha (where the construction of the bridge was started), Mount Rishyamuka, Pampa River, Janasthana-forest, Panchavati, Godavari river, the hermitage of sage-Agastya, the hermitage of Atri and Anasuya, Mount Chitrakuta, Yamuna-river, the hermitage of Bharadwaja, Ganga-river, Sarayu-river and finally the City of Ayodhya.
अनुज्ञातन् तु रामेण तद्विमानमनुत्तमम् |
उत्पपात महामेघः श्वसनेनोद्धतो यथा || ६-१२३-१
1. anujJNaatam = as approved; raameNa = by Rama; tat anuttamam = that excellent; vimaanam = aerial car; hamsayukam = with images of swans painted on it; utpapaatam = flew; vihaayasam = into the sky; mahaanaadam = with a great sound.
As approved by Rama, that excellent aerial car, with images of swan painted on it, flew into the sky, with a great sound.
पातयित्वा ततश्चक्षुः सर्वतो रघुनन्दनः |
अब्रवीन्मैथिलीन् सीतां रामः शशिनिभाननाम् || ६-१२३-२
2. tataH = then; raamaH = Rama; raghunanadanaH = the delight of Raghu dynasty; paatayitvaa = casting; chakShuH = his look; sarvataH = on all sides; abraviit = spoke; siitaam = to Seetha; maithiliim = the princes; of Mithila kingdom; shashinibhaananaam = having her face looking like the moon (as follow):
Casting his look on all sides, Rama, the delight of Raghu dynasty, then spoke to Seetha, who had a moon-like face (as follows):
कैलासशिखराकारे त्रिकूटशिखरे स्थिताम् |
लङ्कामीक्षस्व वैदेहि निर्मितान् विश्वकर्मणा || ६-१२३-३
3. vaidehi = O Seetha; iikShasva = look at; laN^kaam = the City of Lanka; nirmitaam = built; vishvakarmaNaa = by Vishvakarma; the universal architect; sthitaam = and resting firmly; trikuuTa shikharaakaare = like a peak of Mount Kailasa in appearance.
"O Seetha! Look at the City of Lanka, resting firmly on the mount of Trikuta, looking like a peak of Mount Kailasa and built by Viswarakarma, the universal architect."
एतदायोधनं पश्य मान्सशोणितकर्दमम् |
हरीणान् राक्षसानान् च सीते विशसनं महत् || ६-१२३-४
4. siite = O Seetha!; pashya = look at; etat mahataayodhanam = this great battle-field; maamsashoNita kardamam = covered with a mud a flesh and blood; vishasanam = and a cause for the death; hariiNaam raakShasaanaamcha = of monkeys and demons.
"O Seetha! Look at this great battle-field, covered with a mud of flesh and blood as also a cause for the death of monkeys and demons."
अत्र दत्तवरः शेते प्रमाथी राक्षसेश्वरः |
तव हेतोर्विशालाक्षि रावणो निहतो मया || ६-१२३-५
5. vishaalaakShi = O the large-eyed Seetha!; atra shete = here lies; raavaNaH = Ravana; raakShaseshvaraH = the king of demons; pramaathii = the tormentator of people; dattavaraH = on whom boons had been conferred (by Brahma); nihataH = was killed; mayaa = by me; tava hetoH = for your sake.
"O the large-eyed Seetha! Here lies Ravana, the king of demons, the tormentator of people, on whom boons were conferred by Brahma and who was killed by me for your sake."
कुम्भकर्णोअत्र निहतः प्रहस्तश्च निशाचरः |
धूम्राक्षश्चात्र निहतो वानरेण हनूमता || ६-१२३-६
6. atra = here; kumbhakarNa = Kumbhakarna; nihataH = was killed; prahastashcha = and Prahasta; nishaacharaH = the demon; atra = here; dhuumrakShaH = Dhumraksha; nihataH = was killed; hanuumataa = by Hanuma; vaanareNa = the monkey.
"Here, Kumbhakarna and Prahasta the demon were killed. Here, Dhumraksha was killed by Hanuma, the monkey."
विद्युन्माली हतश्चात्र सुषेणेन महात्मना |
लक्ष्मणेनेन्द्रजिच्चात्र रावणिर्निहतो रणे || ६-१२३-७
7. atra = here; mahaatmanaa suSheNena = by the great-souled Sushena; vidyunmaalii = Vidyunmali; hata = was killed; atra = here; lakShmaNena = by Lakshmana; indrajit = Indrajit; raavaNiH = the son of Ravana; nihataH = was killed; raNe = in a combat.
"Here was Vidyunmali killed by the great-souled Sushena and here was Indrajit, the son of Ravana, killed by Lakshmana in a combat."
अङ्गदेनात्र निहतो विकटो नाम राक्षसः |
विरूपाक्षश्च दुष्प्रेक्ष्यो महापार्श्वमहोदरौ || ६-१२३-८
अकम्पनश्च निहतो बलिनोअन्ये च राक्षसाः |
त्रिशिराश्चातिकायश्च देवान्तकनरान्तकौ || ६-१२३-९
8-9. atra = here; nihataH was killed; vikaTo naama raakShasaH = a demon called Vikata; aN^gadena = by Angada; viruupaakShaH = Virupaksha; duShprekShaH = who was disagreeable to the sight; mahaapaarshvo mahodarau = Mahaparshva; Mahodara; akampanashcha = and Akampana too; nihataH = were killed; anye = other; balinaH = mighty; raakShasaaH cha = demons; trishiraaH = Trishiras; atikaayashcha = Atikaya; devaantakanaraantakau = Devantaka and Narantaka (were killed).
"Here was killed a demon called Vikata by Angada. Virupaksha, who was disagreeable to the sight, Mahaparsva, Mahodara, Akampana, Trishiras, Atikaya Devantaka, Narantaka and other mighty demons were also killed here."
युद्धोन्मत्तश्च मत्तश्च राक्षसप्रवरावुभौ |
निकुम्भश्चैव कुम्भश्च कुम्भकर्णात्मजौ बली || ६-१२३-१०
वज्रदंष्ट्रश्च दंष्ट्रश्च बहवो राक्षसा हताः |
मकराक्ष्च दुर्धर्षो मया युधि निपातितः || ६-१२३-११
10-11. ubhau = both; yuddhanmattashcha = yuddhonmatta; mattashcha = and Matta; raakShasa pravarau = the foremost of demons; nikumbhashchaiva = Nikumbha; kumbhashcha = and Kumbha; kumbhakarNaatmajau = the sons of Kumbhakarna; balii = the strong; vajradamShTrashcha = Vajradamshtra; damShTrashcha = Damstra; bahavaH = and many; raakShasaaH = demons; hataaH = were killed; makaraakShasya = Makaraksha; durdharShaH = the most difficult demon to be attacked; nipaatitaH = was struck down; mayaa = by me; yudhi = in this battle-field.
"Both Yuddonmatta and Matta, the foremost of demons, as also Nikumbha and Kumbha the sons of Kumbhakarna, as also the strong Vajradamshtra, Damshtra and many demons were killed. Makaraksha, the most difficult demon to be attacked, was struck down by me in this battle-field."
अकम्पनश्च निहतः शोणिताक्षश्च वीर्यवान् |
यूपाक्षश्च प्रजङ्घश्च निहतौ तु म्हाहवे || ६-१२३-१२
12. akampanashcha = Akampana; nihataH = was killed; mahaahave = in the great battle; viiryavaan = the valiant; shoNitaakShasheha = Shonitaksha;(was killed); yuupaakShashcha = Yupakasha; prajaN^ghashcha = and Prajangha; nihatau = were killed.
"Akampana was killed in the great battle. The valiant Shonitaksha was also killed. Yupaksa and Prajangha were killed."
विद्युज्जिह्वोऽत्र निहतो राक्षसो भीमदर्शनः |
यज्ञशत्रुश्च निहतः सुप्तघ्नश्च महाबलः || ६-१२३-१३
सूर्यशत्रुश्च निहतो ब्रह्मशत्रुस्तथापरः |
13. atra = here; vidyujjihvaH = Vidyujjihva; raakShasah = the demon; bhiima darshanaH = with a terrific appearance; nihataH = was killed; yajJNashatrushcha = Yajnashatru also; nihataH = was killed; mahaabalaH = the mighty; suptaghnashcha = Suptaghna; nihataH = was killed.
"Here, Vidyujjihva, the demon was a terrific appearance, was killed. Yajnashatru also was killed. The mighty Suptaghna was killed. Surya shatru was killed and another demon called Brahma shatru was too killed."
अत्र मन्दोदरी नाम भार्या तं पर्यदेवयत् || ६-१२३-१४
सपत्नीनान् सहस्रेण सास्रेण परिवारिता |
14. atra = here; parivaaritaa = surrounded; sahasreNa saagreNa = by more than a thousand; sapatniinaam = fellow-wives; bhaaryaa = a wife; mandodariinaama = named Mandodari; paryadevayat = lamented; tam = about that Ravana.
"Here, surrounded by more than a thousand fellow-wives, Ravana's wife named Mandodari lamented for Ravana."
एतत्तु दृश्यते तीर्थन् समुद्रस्य वरानने || ६-१२३-१५
यत्र सागरमुत्तीर्य तान् रात्रिमुषिता वयम् |
15. varaanane = O Seetha; the lovely-faced one!; etat dR^ishyate = here is seen; tiirtham = a water-descent; samudrasya = of the ocean (on the sea-shore) yatra uttiirya = where having crossed; saagaram = the ocean; vayam = we; uShitaaH = spent; taam raatrim = that night.
"O Seetha, the lovely-faced one! Here is seen a water-descent of the ocean on the sea-shore, where having crossed the ocean, we spent that night."
एष सेतुर्मया बद्धः सागरे सलिलार्णवे || ६-१२३-१६
तवहेतोर्विशालाक्षि नलसेतुः सुदुष्करः |
16. vishaalaakShi = O the large-eyed Seetha!; eShaH = here is; nalasetuH = the bridge called Nala Setu; suduShkaraH = which was so difficult (to execute for others); baddhaH = got built; mayaa = by me; lavaNaarNave = over the salt-sea; tava hetoH = for your sake.
"O the large-eyed Seetha! Here is the bridge called Nala Setu, which was so difficult to execute for others, got built by me over the salt-sea for your sake."
पश्य सागरमक्षोभ्यन् वैदेहि वरुणालयम् || ६-१२३-१७
अपारमभिगर्जन्तन् शङ्खशुक्तिनिषेवितम् |
17. vaidehi = O Seetha!; pashya = see; saagaram = this ocean; akShobhyam = the imperturbable; varuNaalayam = the habitation of Varuna; garjantam = and which is roaring; apaaramiva = as though it is boundless; shaN^kha shukti samaakulam = and teeming well with couches and oyster-shells.
"O Seetha! See this roaring imperturbable and seemingly boundless ocean, the habitation of Varuna (the god of waters), which is teeming well with couches and oyster-shells."
हिरण्यनाभन् शैलेन्द्रन् काञ्चनं पश्य मैथिलि || ६-१२३-१८
विश्रमार्थन् हनुमतो भित्त्वा सागरमुत्थितम् |
18. maithili = O Seetha!; parhya = see; kaaN^chanam hiraNya naabham = this golden mountain; Mainka; shailendram = the ruler of mountains; utthitam = and which rose; bhittvaa = by passing through; saagaram = the ocean; vishramaartham = in order to provide rest and relaxation; hanumataH = to Hanuma.
"O Seetha! See the golden mountain, Mainaka (the ruler of mountains) which rose passing through the ocean, in order to provide rest and relaxation to Hanuma."
एतत् कुक्षौ समुद्रस्य स्कन्धावारनिवेशनम् || ६-१२३-१९
अत्र पूर्वं महादेवः प्रसादमकरोत्प्रभुः |
19. etat = this; (is the island); kukShau = located in the middle; samudrasya = of the ocean; skandhaavaara niveshanam = where my troops were stationed; atra = at this place; puurvam = formerly; prabhuH = the Lord; mahaadevaH = Shiva (the supreme deity); akarot = bestowed; prasaadam = his grace; (on me).
"See this island, located in the middle of the ocean, where my troops were stationed. At this place, the lord Shiva (the supreme deity) formerly bestowed his grace on me."
एतत्तु दृश्यते तीर्थं सागरस्य महात्मनः || ६-१२३-२०
सेतुबन्ध इति ख्यातं त्रैलोक्येन च पूजितम् |
एतत्पवित्रं परमं महापातकनाशनम् || ६-१२३-२१
अत्र राक्षसराजोऽयमाजगाम विभीषणः |
20-21. etat tu dR^ishyate = here is seen; tiirtham mahaatmanaH saagarasya = the water-descent of the great-souled ocean; puujitam = worshipped; trailokyena = by the three worlds; khyaatam = called; setubandhaH iti = as Setu bandha; etat = this; paramam pavitram = is very much a sacred spot; mahaapaatakanaashanam = which destroys major sins; ayam = this; vibhiiShaNaH = Vibhishana; raakShasaraajaH = the king of demons; aajagaama = (first) came; atra = here.
"Here is seen the water-descent of the gigantic ocean, called a Setubandha, adored in all the three worlds. This is very much a sacred spot, capable of washing away major sins. At this very place, Vibhishana the king of demons first came."
एषा सा दृश्यते सीते किष्किन्धा चित्रकानना || ६-१२३-२२
सुग्रीवस्य पुरी रम्या यत्र वाली मया हतः |
22. siite = O Seetha!; eShaa = here is; dR^ishyate = see; saa kiShkindhaa = that Kishkindha; ramyaa purii = a beautiful City; chitrakaananaa = with colourful groves; sugriivasya = of Sugreeva; yatra = where; vaalii = Vali; hataH = was killed; mayaa = by me.
"O Seetha! Here is seen the beautiful City of Sugreeva, Kishkindha, which is full of colourful groves, where Vali was killed by me."
अथ दृष्ट्वा पुरीं सीता किष्किन्धां वालिपालिताम् || ६-१२३-२३
अब्रवीत्प्रश्रितं वाक्यं रामं प्रणयसाध्वसा |
23.dR^iShTvaa = seeing; kiShkindhaam puriim = the City of Kishkindha; vaalipaalitaam = which was ruled by Vali (earlier); siitaa = Seetha; atha = then; praNaya saadhvasaa = who was feeling timed through love; abraviit = spoke; prashritam vaakyam = the following courteous words; raamam = to Rama.
Seeing the City of Kishkindha, which was earlier ruled by Vali, Seetha, who was feeling timid through love, then spoke the following courteous words to Rama.
सुग्रीवप्रियभार्याभिस्ताराप्रमुखातो नृप || ६-१२३-२४
अन्येषां वानरेन्द्राणां स्त्रीभिः परिवृता ह्यहम् |
गन्तुमिच्छे सहायोध्यां राजधानीं त्वया सह || ६-१२३-२५
24-25. nR^ipa = O king!; aham = I; ichchhe = wish; gantum = to go; raajadhaaniim ayodhyaam = to the capital City of Ayodhya; tvayaa saha = along with you; parivR^itaa = accompanied by; striibhiH = the wives; anyeShaam vaanarendraaNaam of other monkey-chiefs; taaraa pramukhataH = with Tara and other; sugriiva priyabhaaryaabhiH = beloved wives of Sugreeva.
"O king! I wish to reach the capital City of Ayodhya along with you, accompanied by the wives of other monkey-chiefs with Tara and other beloved wives of Sugreeva."
एवमुक्तोऽथ वैदेह्या राघवः प्रत्युवाच ताम् |
एवमस्त्विति किष्किन्धां प्राप्य संस्थाप्य राघवः || ६-१२३-२६
विमानं प्रेक्ष्य सुग्रीवं काक्यमेतदुवाच ह |
26. evam = thus; uktaH = spoken; vaidehyaaH = by Seetha; raaghavaH = Rama; atha = then; pratyuvaacha = replied; taam = to her; evam astu iti = "Let it be"; praapya = reaching; kiShkindhaam = Kishkindha; samsthaapya = and halting; vimaanam = the aerial car; preShya = and seeing; sugriivam = Sugreeva; uvaacha ha = spoke (to him); etat vaakyam = the following words:
Hearing the words of Seetha, Rama then said to her in reply "let it be". Reaching Kishkindha, causing the aerial car to halt, and looking at Sugreeva, Rama spoke to him the following words:
ब्रूहि वानरशार्दूल सरान् वानरपुङ्गवान् || ६-१२३-२७
स्त्रीभिः परिवृताह् सर्वे ह्ययोध्यां यान्तु सीतया |
27. vaanara shaarduula = O the foremost of the monkeys!; bruuhi = tell; sarvaan = all; vaanarapungavaan = the monkey-chiefs; sarve = "All of you"; yantu = come; ayodhyaam = to Ayodhya; siitayaa = with Seetha; parivR^itaaH striibhiH = accompanied by your wives.
"O the king of monkeys! Instruct all the monkey-chiefs to come to Ayodhya in the company of their wives."
तथा त्वमपि सर्वाभिः स्त्रीभिः सह महाबल || ६-१२३-२८
अभित्वरस्व सुग्रीव गच्छामः प्लवगाधिप |
28. mahaabala = O the mighty; sugreeva = Sugreeva; plavagaadhipa = the king of monkeys; tathaa = and; tvam api abhitvarasva = you too hasten to depart; sarvaabhiH striibhiH saha = taking the wives of all the monkeys; gachchhaamaH = we shall proceed.
"O the mighty Sugreeva, the King of monkeys! You too hasten to depart, taking the wives of all the monkeys "we shall proceed."
एवमुक्तस्तु सुग्रीवो रामेणामिततेजसा || ६-१२३-२९
वानराधिपतिः श्रीमांस्तैश्च सर्वैः समावृतः |
प्रविश्यान्तःपुरं शीघ्रम् तारामुद्वीक्ष्य सोऽब्रवीत् || ६-१२३-३०
29-30. evam = thus; uktaH = spoken; raameNa = by Rama; amita tejasaa = of great splendour; saH shriimaan sugriivaH = that illustrious Sugreeva; vaanaraadhipatiH = the lord of monkeys; taiH sarnesamaavR^itah accompanied by all those monkeys; shiighram = quickly; pravishya = entering; antaHpuram = his gynaecium; udviikShya = and looking; taaraam = at Tara; abraviit = spoke; (as follows):
Hearing the words of Rama of great splendour, that illustrious Sugreeva, the lord of monkeys accompanied by all those monkeys, quickly entering his gynaecium, spoke to Tara as follows:
प्रिये त्वं सहनारीभिर्वानराणां महात्मनाम् |
राघवेणाभ्यनुज्ञाता मैथिलीप्रियकाम्यया || ६-१२३-३१
31. priya = O the beloved lady!; tvam = you; abhyanujJNaataa = have been permitted; raaghaveNa = by Rama; 9to proceed to Ayodhya); naariibhiH saha = in the company of the wives; mahaatmaanam vaanaraaNaan = of the great-souled monkeys; maithiliipriya kaamyayaa = with an intent to gratify Seetha.
"O the beloved lady! You have been permitted by Rama to proceed to Ayodhya, in the company of the wives of the great-souled monkeys, with an intent to gratify Seetha."
त्वर त्वमभिगच्छामो गृह्य वानरयोषितः |
अयोध्यां दर्शयिष्यामः सर्वा दशरथस्त्रियः || ६-१२३-३२
32. tvam = you; tvara = hurry up; gachchhaama = we shall proceed; gR^ihya = by taking; vaanarayoShitaH = the wives of the monkeys; darshayiShyaamaH = we shall show; ayodhyaam = Ayodhya; saraaH = and all; dasharathastriyaH = the widows of Dasaratha.
"You hurry up, to proceed to Ayodhya, with the wives of the monkeys. We shall show Ayodhya and all the widows of Dasaratha to them."
सुग्रीवस्य वचः श्रुत्वा तारा सर्वाङ्गशोभना |
आहूय चाब्रवीत्सर्वा वानराणां तु योषितः || ६-१२३-३३
33. shrutvaa = hearing; vachaH = the words; sugriivasya = of Sugreeva; taaraa = Tara; sarvaaN^ga shobhanaa = who was charming of every limb; aahuuya cha = called; sarvaaH striyaH = all the spouses; vaanaraanaam = of the monkeys abraviit = and spoke; (as follows):
Hearing the words of Sugreeva, Tara, who was charming of every limb, called all the spouses of the monkeys and spoke to them as follows:
सुग्रीवेणाभ्यनुज्ञाता गन्तुं सर्वैश्च वानरैः |
मम चापि प्रियं कार्यमयोध्यादर्शनेन च || ६-१२३-३४
34. anujJNaataaH = duly permitted; sugriiveNa = by Sugreeva; sarvaiH vaanaraishcha = and all the monkeys; gantum = hurry up to proceed (to Ayodhya); priyam kaaryam = a kindly act; mama chaapi = will be done to me too; ayodhyaadarshanena = through the sight of Ayodhya (which is so dear to me)."
"Duly permitted by Sugreeva and all the monkeys, hurry up to proceed to Ayodhya. A kindly act will be done to me too, through the sight of Ayodhya (which is so dear to me)."
प्रवेशम् चैव रामस्य पौरजानपदैः सह |
विभूतिं चैव सर्वासां स्त्रीणां दशरथस्य च || ६-१२३-३५
35. (we shall also see) praveshamchaiva = the entry; raamasya = of Rama; (into Ayodhya); paurajaanapadaiH saha = along with the people of that City as well as the inhabitants of the country-side; vibhuuti chaiva = as also the affluence; dasharathasya striiNaam = of the widows of Dasaratha.
"We shall also see the entry of Rama into Ayodhya, along with the people of that city as well as the inhabitants of the country-side, as also the affluence of the widows of Dasaratha."
तारया चाभ्यनुज्ञाताः सर्वा वानरयोषितः |
नेपथ्यविधिपूर्वं तु कृत्वा चापि प्रदक्षिणम् || ६-१२३-३६
अध्यारोहन्विमानं तत्सीतादर्शनकाङ्क्षया |
36. abhyanujJNaataaH = duly permitted; taarayaacha = by Tara; sarvaaH = all; vaanarayoShitaH = the wives of the monkeys; nepathya vidbhipuurvakam = wearing their costumes as per rule; kR^itvaa pradakShiNam = and going round clockwise; tat = that; vimaanam aerial car; adhyaaroham = ascended (it); siitaadarshana kaaN^kShayaa = with an intent to see Seetha.
Duly permitted by Tara, all the wives of the monkeys, wearing their costumes as per rule and going round the aerial car clockwise, ascended it with an intent to see Seetha.
ताभिः सहोत्थितं शीघ्रं विमानं प्रेक्ष्य राघवः || ६-१२३-३७
ऋष्यमूकसमीपे तु वैदेहीं पुनरब्रवीत् |
37. prekShya = seeing; vimaanam = the aerial car; utthitam = having risen; shiighram = quickly; taabhiH saha = together with the wives of monkeys; raaghavaH = Rama; punaH = again; abraviit = spoke; vaidehiim = to Seetha; RiShyamuuka sapiipe = at the proximity of Mount Rishyamuka.
Seeing the aerial car having risen quickly, after having taken the wives of monkeys too, Rama again spoke to Seetha at the vicinity of Mount Rishyamuka (as follows):
दृश्यतेअसौ महान्सीते सविद्युदिव तोयदः || ६-१२३-३८
ऋश्यमूको गिरिश्रेष्ठः काञ्चनैर्धातुभिर्वृतः |
38. siite = O Seetha! asau dR^ishyate = here is seen; R^iShyamuukaH = Rishyamuka; girivaraH = the excellent mountain; vR^itaH = endowed; kaaNchanaiH dhaatubhiH = with layers of gold savidyuttoadaH iva = and looking like a cloud with lightning.
"O Seetha! Here is seen Rishyamuka, the excellent mountain, endowed with layers of gold and looking like a cloud with lightning."
अत्राहन् वानरेन्द्रेण सुग्रीवेण समागतः || ६-१२३-३९
समयश्च कृतः सीते वधार्थन् वालिनो मया |
39. siite = O Seetha!; aham = I; samaagataH = met; sugriiveNa = with Sugreeva; vaanarendreNa = the king of monkeys; atra = here; samayashcha = an agreement too; vadhaartham = for the killing; vaalinaH = of Vali; kR^itaH = was made; mayaa = by me.
"O Seetha! Here did I meet Sugreeva, the king of monkeys and an agreement too was made by me for the killing of Vali."
एषा सा दृश्यते पम्पा नलिनी चित्रकानना || ६-१२३-४०
त्वया विहीनो यत्राहन् विललाप सुदुःखितः |
40. eShaa dR^ishyate = here is seen; pampaa = Pampa-river; nalinii = abounding in lotuses; chitrakaananaa = and edged with colourful groves; yatra = where; aham = I; vilalaapa = lamented; suduHkhitaH = with great pain; tvayaa vihiinaH = having been separated from you.
"Here is seen Pampa-river, abounding in lotuses and edged with colourful groves, where I lamented with great pain, having been separated from you."
अस्यास्तीरे मया दृष्टा शबरी धर्मचारिणी || ६-१२३-४१
अत्र योजनबाहुश्च कबन्धो निहतो मया |
41. dharmachaariNii = the virtuous; shabarii = Shabari; dR^iShTaa = was seen; mayaa = by me; asyaaH tiire = at the bank of this river; kabandhaH = Kabandha; yojana baahuH = having arms; a Yojana (eight miles) long; nihataH = was killed; mayaa = by me; atra = here.
"The virtuous Shabari was seen by me at the bank of this river. Here was killed, Kabandha, having arms, a Yojana (eight miles) long."
दृश्यतेअसौ जनस्थाने सीते श्रीमान्वनस्पतिः || ६-१२३-४२
यत्र युद्धं महद्वृत्तन् तवहेतोर्विलासिनि |
रावणेन हतो यत्र पक्षिणां प्रवरो बली || ६-१२३-४३
42-43. siite = O Seetha!; asau dR^ishyate = here is seen; shriimaan vanaspatiH = the illustrious tree; janasthaane = in the forest of Janasthana; yatra = here itself; jaTaayushcha = Jatayu; mahaatejaaH = the highly brilliant; balii = mighty; pravarah pakShiiNaam = and the foremost among the birds; nihataH = was killed; raavaNena = by Ravana; tava hetoH = for your sake; vilaasini = O sporting lady!
"And over there is seen in the forest of Janasthana, O Seetha, that illustrious tree under which the highly brilliant and mighty Jatayu, the foremost among the birds, was killed by Ravana, for your sake, O sporting lady!."
खरश्च निहतश्सङ्ख्ये दूषणश्च निपातितः |
त्रिशिराश्च महावीर्यो मया बाणैरजिह्मगैः || ६-१२३-४४
पर्णशाला तथा चित्रा दृश्यते शुभदर्शना |
यत्र त्वं राक्षसेन्द्रेण रावणेन हृता बलात् || ६-१२३-४५
44-45. varavarNini = O lady of beautiful complexion!; etat yatra = here is where; kharashcha = Khara; nihataH = was killed mayaa = by me; ajihmagaiH sharaiH = with straight going arrows; duShaNashcha = Dushana; npaatitaH = was struck down; mahaaviiryaH = and the mighty; trishirashcha = Trishiras (was also killed); tat = over there; asmaakam = is our; aashramapadam = place of hermitage; tathaa = and shubhadarshane = O charming lady!; dR^ishyate = here is seen; parNashaalaa = charming lady!; dR^ishyate = here is seen; parashaalaa = the leaf-hut; yatra = where; tvam = you; hR^itaa = were taken away; raakShasendreNa = the king of demons.
"O lady of beautiful complexion! Here is the region, (known as Panchavati, so called because it consists of five banyan trees) where Khara the demon was killed by me with straight-going arrows, as also his brothers, Dushana and the mighty Trishiras. And over there is seen our enchanting leaf-hut, where you were forcibly taken away by Ravana the king of demons, O charming lady!"
एषा गोदावरी रम्या प्रसन्नसलिला शिवा || ६-१२३-४६
अगस्त्यस्याश्रमो ह्येष दृश्यते कदलीवृतः |
46. eSha = here is seen; shubhaa = the auspicious; ramyaa = and charming; godaavarii = (river named) Godavari; prasanna salilaa = containing clear waters; dR^ishyate = here is also seen; aashramashchaiva = the hermitage of Agastya; kadalii vR^itah = surrounded with banana-groves."
"Here is the shining hermitage of Sutikshna, the great-souled sage. And over there is seen the great hermitage of Sharabhanga, where the thousand-eyed Indra, the destroyer of Citadels, came."
दीप्तश्चैवाश्रमो ह्येष सुतीक्ष्णस्य महात्मनः || ६-१२३-४७
दृश्यते चैव शरभङ्गाश्रमो महान् |
उपयातः सहस्राक्षो यत्र शक्रः पुरन्दरः || ६-१२३-४८
47-48. eShaH diiptaH aashramaH = here is the shining hermitage; sutiikShNasya = of Sutikshana; mahaatmanaH = the great-souled sage; dR^ishyate = (and over there) is seen; mahaan = the great; sharabhaN^gashramaH = hermitage of Sharabhanga; yatra = where shakra = Indra; sahasraakShaH = the thousand-eyed; puramdaraH = the destroyer of citadels; upaayaataH = came.
"Here is the shining hermitage of Sutikshna, the great-souled sage. And over there is seen the great hermitage of Sharabhanga, where the thousand-eed Indra, the destroyer of Citadels, came."
एते ते तापसावासा दृश्यन्ते तनुमध्यमे |
अत्रिः कुलपतिर्यत्र सूर्यवैश्वानरप्रभः || ६-१२३-४९
49. devi tanumadhyame = O slender-waisted lady!; ete dR^ishyante = here are seen; te = those; taapasaaH = sages; yatra = where; atriH = Atri; kulapatiH = the head of the hermitage; suuryavaishvaanaropamaH = was equal in splendour to the sun and the fire.
"O slender-waisted lady! Here are seen those sages, where, Atri the head of the hermitage, was equal in splendour to the sun and the fire."
अस्मिन्देशे महाकायो विराधो निहतो मया |
अत्र सीते त्वया दृष्टा तापसी धर्मचारिणी || ६-१२३-५०
50. asmin deshe = at this place; mahaakaayaH = the gigantic; viraadhaH = Viradha; nihataH = was killed; mayaa = by me; siite = O Seetha!; atra = here; dR^iShTaa = was seen; dharma chariNii = the virtuous; taapasii = Anasuya; the ascetic lady (the wife of sage Atri).
"At this place, the gigantic Viradha was killed by me. O Seetha! Here was seen by you, the virtuous Anasuya, the ascetic lady (the wife of sage, Atri)."
असौ सुतनुशैलेन्द्रश्चित्रकूटः प्रकाशते |
यत्र मान् कैकयीपुत्रः प्रसादयितुमागतः || ६-१२३-५१
51. sutanu = O Seetha; having a beautiful body! asau chitrakuuTaH = here is Chitrakuta; shailendraH = the excellent mountain; prakaashate = shining; kaikeyiiputraH = Bhrarata; aagataH = came; atra = here; maam prasaadayitum = to seek my favour (in the form of my consent to return to Ayodhya).
"O Seetha, having a beautiful body! Here is Chitrakuta, the excellent mountain, shining. Bharata came here to seek my favour (in the form of my consent to return to Ayodhya)."
एषा सा यमुना दूराद्दृश्यते चित्रकानना |
भरद्वाजाश्रमो श्रीमानेष दृश्यते चैष मैथिलि || ६-१२३-५२
52. maithilii = O Seetha!; eShaa = here is dR^ishyate = seen; saa ramyaa yamunaa = the beautiful river of Yamuna; chitra kaananaa = surrounded by colourful groves; eShah dR^ishyate = here is seen; shriimaan = the illustrious; bharadvaajaashramaH = hermitage of sage Bharadwaja.
"O Seetha! Here is seen the beautiful river of Yamuna, surrounded by colourful groves. Here is seen the illustrious hermitage of Sage Bharadwaja."
इयं च दृश्यते गङ्गा पुण्या त्रिपथगा नदी |
नानाद्विजगणाकीर्णा संप्रपुष्पितकानना || ६-१२३-५३
53. iyam dR^ishyate = here is seen; puNyaa = the holy; gaN^gaanadii = river Ganga; tripathagaa = which wends its way through the three worlds (viz. heaven; the earth and the subterranean world); naanaadvijayaNaakiirNaa = whose banks are crowded with flocks of birds; samprapuShpita paadapaa = and which is line diwth trees in full flowering.
"Here is seen the holy River Ganga, which wends its way through the three worlds (viz. heaven, the earth and the subterranean world), whose banks are crowded with flocks of birds and which is lined with trees in full-flowering."
शृङ्गवेरपुरन् चैतद्गुहो यत्र समागतः |
एषा त्रिपथगा गङ्गा दृश्यते वरवर्णिनि || ६-१२३-५४
नानातरुशताकीर्णा संप्रपुष्पितकानना |
54. etat = here is; shR^iN^ga bherapura cha = the town of Shringabheripura; yatra = where; guha = Guha; mamasakhaa = my friend; (stays); eShaa = here is; dR^ishyate = seen; saa = that; sarayuuH = rows of sacrificial posts (the relies of sacrifices performed from time to time by Ikshvaku dynasty); naanaatarushataakiirNaa = bordered with hundreds of trees; samprapuShpita kaananaa = and with groves in full-blossom.
"Here is the town of Shringaberapura, where Guha my friend stays. Here is seen that river, Sarayu, lined with rows of sacrificial posts (the relics of sacrifices performed from time to time by Ikshvaku dynasty), bordered with hundreds of trees and with groves in full blossom."
एषा सा दृश्यतेअयोध्या राजधानी पितुर्मम || ६-१२३-५५
अयोध्यान् कुरु वैदेहि प्रणामं पुनरागता |
55. siite = O Seetha!; eShaa dR^ishyate = here is seen; saa raajadhaanii = that Capital-City'; mama pituH = of my father; vaidehi = O the princess of Videha territory!; punaH aagataaH = having duly returned; kuru praNaamam = offer your salutation; ayodhyaam = to Ayodhya.
"O Seetha! Here is seen that Capital City of my father. O the princess of Videha territory! Having duly returned, offer your salutation to Ayodhya."
ततस्ते वानराः सर्वे राक्षसश्च विभीषणः || ६-१२३-५६
उत्पत्योत्पत्य ददृशुस्तां पुरीन् शुभदर्शनाम् |
56. tataH = thereupon; sarve te vaanaraaH = all those monkeys; samhR^iShTaaH raakShasaaH = and the rejoiced demons; savibhiiShaNaaH = along with Vibhishana; tadaa = at that time; utpatyotpatya = bounding again and again (to have a glimpse of it); dadR^ishuH = saw; taam puriim = that City.
Thereupon, all those monkeys and the rejoiced demons along with Vibhishana, at that time, bounding again and again (to have a glimpse of it) saw that City.
ततस्तु तां पाण्डुरहर्म्यमालिनीं |
विशालकक्ष्यान् गजवाजिसङ्कुलाम् |
पुरीमयोध्यान् ददृशुः प्लवङ्गमाः |
पुरीं महेन्द्रस्य यथामरावतीम् || ६-१२३-५७
57. tataH = thereupon; plavaN^gamaaH = the monkeys; saraakShasaaH = along with the demons; apashyan = beheld; taam puriim = that Ayodhya; paaN^Du harmya maaliniim = having rows of white palces; vishaala kakShyaam = intersected with wide roads; vR^itaam gajavaajabhiH = crowded with elephants and horses; amaraavatiim yathaa = looking like Amaravathi; puriim = the City; mahendrasya = of Indra the lord of celestials.
Thereupon, the monkeys along with the demons beheld that Ayodhya, having rows of white palaces, intersected with wide roads, and crowded with elephants and horses, looking like Amaravathi, the City of Indra the lord of Celestials.
- - - -
इत्यार्षे श्रीमद्रामायणे आदिकाव्ये युद्धकाण्डे त्रयोविंशत्यधिकशततमः सर्गः
|Top of Page||1||2||3||4|
© October 2009, K. M. K. Murthy