Rama commands Vibhishana to honour the monkeys with gold and precious stones. When Vibhishana has honoured them with the gifts, Rama along with Lakshmana and Seetha ascend the aerial car. When the monkeys and Vibhishana request Rama to permit them to accompany in the aerial car upto Ayodhya to witness his coronation-ceremony, Rama gladly permits them to do so. All of them start on their aerial journey in Pushpaka, the wonderful aerial car which can accommodate all, spaciously.
उपस्थितम् तु तं कृत्वा पुष्पकं पुष्पभूषितम् |
अविदूरे स्थितो राममित्युवाच विभीषणः || ६-१२२-१
1. vihiiShaNaH = Vibhishana; kR^itvaa upasthitam = keeping ready; tam = that; puShpakam = Pushpaka the aerial car; puShpabhuuShitam = decorated with flowers; sthitaH = stood; aviduure = not very far; uvaacha = and spoke; iti = thus; raamam = to Rama (as follows):
Keeping ready Pushpaka the aerial car decorated with flowers, Vibhishana, for his part, standing not very far, spoke to Rama (as follows):
स तु बद्धाञ्जलिपुटो विनीतो राक्षसेश्वरः |
अब्रवीत्त्वरयोपेतः किं करोमीति राघवम् || ६-१२२-२
2. kim karomi = "What (more) can I do?"; iti = thus; abraviit = spoke; upetaH tvarayaa = with haste; saH raakShaseshvaraH = that Vibhishana; viniitaH = endowed with modesty; baddhaaN^jalipuTaH = and with joined palms; raaghavam = to Rama.
"What more can I do?" thus spoke with haste, Vibhishana endowed as he was with modesty and with joined palms, to Rama.
तमब्रवीन्महातेजा लक्ष्मणस्योपशृण्वतः |
विमृश्य राघवो वाचमिदं स्नेहपुरस्कृतम् || ६-१२२-३
3. vimR^iShya = after some circumspection; raamaH = Rama; mahaatejaaH = of great splendor; snehapuraskR^itam = affectionately; uvaacha = spoke; idam = the following words; tam = to him; lakShmaNasya upashR^iNvataH = while Lakshmana was listening.
After some circumspection, Rama of great splendor, affectionately spoke the following words to him, while Lakshmana was listening:
कृतप्रयत्नकर्माणः सर्व एव वनेचराः |
रत्नैरर्थैश्च विविधैः संपूज्यन्तां विभीषण || ६-१२२-४
4. sarva eva vanecharaaH = (Let) all these monkeys and bears (ie. Denizem of forests) kR^ita prayatna karmaaNaH = who performed tasks of exertion; sampuujyantaam = be honoured; ratnaiH = with precious stones; vividhaiH arthaishcha = and riches of various kinds; vibhiiShaNa = O Vibhishana!
"Let all these monkeys and bears (ie. Denizens of forests), who performed tasks of exertion, be honoured with tasks of exertion, be honoured with precious stones and riches of various kinds, O Vibhishana!"
सहामीभिस्त्वया लङ्का निर्जिता राक्षसेश्वर |
हृष्टैः प्राणभयं त्यक्त्वा संग्रामेष्वनिवर्तिभिः || ६-१२२-५
5. raakShaseshvara = O Vibhishana the king of demons!; tvaya = by you; amiibhiH saha = in collaboration with them; anivartibhiH = who never turned their backs; samgraameShu = in battles; hR^iShTaiH = and fought joyfully; tyaktvaa = ignoring; praaNabhayam = all risk to their lives; laN^kaa = Lanka; nirjitaa = has been conquered.
"O Vibhishana the king of demons! Lanka has conquered by you, in collaboration with these monkeys, who never turned their backs in battles and fought joyfully, ignoring all risk to their lives."
त इमे कृतकर्माणः सर्व एव वनौकसः |
धनरत्नप्रदानेन कर्मैषां सफलं कुरु || ६-१२२-६
6. sarve eva te ime vanaukasaH = all these mokeys without exception; kR^itakarmaaNaH = have accomplished their task; kuru saphalam eShaam karma = reward their achievement; dhanaratna pradaanena = with gift of gold and precious stones.
"All these monkeys, without exceptions, have accomplished their task. Reward their achievement with gifts of gold and precious stones."
एवम् संमानिताश्चैते नन्द्यमाना यथा त्वया |
भविष्यन्ति कृतज्ञेन निर्विऋता हरियूथपाः || ६-१२२-७
7. sammanitaa = highly honoured; evam = in this way; yathaa nandyamaanaaH = and duly cheered; tvayaa = by you; kR^itajJNena = acknowledging their services; ete hariyuuthapaaH = the chiefs of monkeys-troops; bhaviShyanti = will feel; nirvR^itaaH = happy.
"Highly honoured in this way any duly cheered by you, acknowledging their services, the chiefs of monkey-troops, will feel happy."
त्यागिनं संग्रहीतारं सानुक्रोशं जितेन्द्रियम् |
सर्वे त्वामभिगच्छन्ति ततः संबोधयामि ते || ६-१२२-८
8. sarve = all; abhigachchhanti = will come nearer; tvaam = to you; tyaaginam = having the quality of generosity; samgrahiitaaram = and propitiating others; saanukrosham = showing compassion; jitendriyam = and having subjugated your senses; tataH = Hence; sambodhayaami = I am reminding; te = you.
"All will come nearer to you, for having possessed this quality of generosity, for propitiating them, for showing compassion to them and for having subjugated your senses. Hence, I am reminding you."
हीनं रतिगुणैः सर्वैरभिहन्तारमाहवे |
सेना त्यजति संविग्ना नृपतिं तं नरेश्वर || ६-१२२-९
9. nareshvara = O king!; samvignaa = feeling agitated; senaa = the army; tyajati = deserts; tam nR^ipatim = that king; hiinam = who is bereft; sarvaiH ratiguNaiH = of all loving qualities; hantaaram = and who orders them to kill people; aahave = in battle.
"O king! Feeling agitated, the army deserts that king, who is bereft of all loving qualities and who merely orders them to kill people in battle."
एवमुक्तस्तु रामेण वानरांस्तान्विभीषणः |
रत्नार्थसंविभागेन सर्वानेवाभ्यपूजयत् || ६-१२२-१०
10. evam = thus uktaH = spoken; raameNa = by Rama; vibhiiShaNaH = Vibhishana; abhyapuujayat = honoured; sarve taan vaanaraan = all those monkeys; ratnartha samvibhaagena = by dispersing precious stones and gold to them.
Hearing the words of Rama, Vibhishana honoured all those monkeys, by dispersing precious stones and gold to them.
ततस्तान् पूजितान् दृष्ट्वा रत्नार्थैर्हरियूथपान् |
आरुरोह तदा रामस्तद्विमानमनुत्तमम् || ६-१२२-११
11. tataH = thereafter; dR^iShTvaa = having seen; taan hariyuuthapaan = those commanders of monkey-troops; puujitaan = honoured; ratnaarthaiH = with precious stones and gold; raamaH = Rama; tadaa = then; aaruroha = mounted; tat = that; anuttamam = excellent; vimaanam = aerial car.
Thereafter, having seen on that occasion all those commanders of monkey-troops honoured with precious stones and gold, Rama then mounted that excellent aerial car.
अङ्केनादाय वैदेहीं लज्जमानां यशस्विनीम् |
लक्ष्मणेन सह भ्रात्रा विक्रान्तेन धनुष्मता || ६-१२२-१२
12. (He mounted the aerial car); lakShmaNena saha = along with Lakshmana; bhraatraa = his brother; vikraantena = who was valiant; dhanuShmataa = wielding a bow; aadaaya = taking; yashasviniim = the illustrious; vaidehiim = Seetha; lajjamaanaam = who was feeling abashed; aN^kena = in his arms.
He mounted the aerial car along with Lakshmana, his valiant brother wielding a bow and taking the illustrious Seetha, who was feeling abashed, in his arms.
अब्रवीत्स विमानस्थः पूजयन् सर्ववानरान् |
सुग्रीवं च महावीर्यम् काकुत्स्तः सविभीषणम् || ६-१२२-१३
13. puujayan = bestowing his attention; sarva vaanaraan = on all the monkeys; savibhiiShaNam = as well as Vibhishana; mahaaviiryam = and the mighty; sugriivam cha = Sugreeva; saH kaakutthsaH = that Rama; vimaanasthaH = remaining in the aerial car; abraviit = spoke (as follows):
Bestowing attention on all the monkeys as well as Vibhishana and the mighty Sugreeva, Rama remaining in the aerial car, spoke (as follows):
मित्रकार्यम् कृतमिदं भवद्भिद्वानरर्षभाः |
अनुज्ञाता मया सर्वे यथेष्टम् प्रतिगच्छत || ६-१२२-१४
14. vaanararShabhaaH = O the foremost of monkeys!; idam = this; mitrakaaryam = work of a friend; kR^itam = has been accomplished; bhavidbhiH = by you; mayaa anujJNaataaH = permitted by me; sarve = all of you; pratigachchhata = can go; yatheShTam = where you will.
"O the foremost of monkeys! This work of a friend has been accomplished by you. Permitted by me, all of you can go, where you will."
यत्तु कार्यं वयस्येन स्निग्धेन च हितेन च |
कृतं सुग्रीव तत्सर्वं भवता धर्मभीरुणा || ६-१२२-१५
किष्किन्धां प्रतियाह्यशु स्वसैन्येनाभिसंवृतः |
15. sugriiva = O Sugreeva!; bhavataa = by you; dharma bhiiruNaa = who are trembling alive to righteousness; sarvam tat = and all that; yat tu kaaryam = which ought to be done; snigdhena hitena vayasyena = by an affectionate and service-minded friend; kR^itam = has been done; bhavataa = by you; yaahi = go; aashu = at once; abhisamvR^itaH = accompanied; svasinyena = by your army; kiShkindhaam = to Kishkindha.
"O Sugreeva! All that which ought to be done by an affectionate and service-minded friend, has been done for your part by you, trembling alive as you are to righteousness. Accompanied by your army, proceed to Kishkindha at once."
स्वराज्ये वस लङ्कायां मया दत्ते विभीषण || ६-१२२-१६
न त्वां धर्षयितुं शक्ताः सेन्द्रा अपि दिवौकसः |
16. vibhiiShana = O Vibhishana!; vasa = reside; laN^kaayaam = in Lanka; svaraajya = your own kingdom; date = conferred; mayaa = by me; divaukasaH api = even the celestials; sendraaH = including Indra; na shaktaaH = shall not be able; dharShayitum to attack; tvaam = you.
"O Vibhishana! Settle down in your kingdom at Lanka, conferred by me. Even the celestials including Indra shall not be able to attack you."
अयोध्यां प्रतियास्यामि राजधानीं पितुर्मम || ६-१२२-१७
अभ्यनुज्ञातुमिच्छमि सर्वानामन्त्रयामि वः |
17. yaasyaami = I am going; ayodhyaam prati = to Ayodhya; raajadhaaniim = seat of government; mama pituH = of my father; ichchhaami = I bid; abhyanujJNaatum = adieu (to you); aamantrayaami = and wish to take leave; vah = of you; sarvaan = all.
" I am going to Ayodhya, the seat of government of my father. I bid adieu to you and wish to take leave of you all."
एवमुक्तास्तु रामेण हरीन्द्रा हरयस्तथा || ६-१२२-१८
ऊचुः प्राञ्जलयः सर्वे राक्षसश्च विभीषणः |
18. evam = thus; uktaaH = spoken; raameNa = by Rama; hariindraah = the monkey-chiefs; tathaa = and; harayaH = the monkeys; vibhiiShaNaH = Vibhishana; raakShasaH = the demon; sarve = and all of them there; uuchuH = spoke (as follows); praaN^jalayaH = with their joined palms.
Hearing the words of Rama, the monkey-chiefs, the monkeys, Vibhishana the demon and all of them there, with their joined palms, spoke (as follows):
अयोध्यां गन्तुमिच्छामः सर्वान् नयतु नो भवान् || ६-१२२-१९
मुद्युक्ता विचरिष्यामो वनान्युपननानि च |
19. ichchhaami = we (also) wish; gantum = to proceed; ayodhyaam = to Ayodhya; bhavaan = you; nayatu = take; sarvaan naH = all of us there; vichariShyaamah = we shall range; vanaani = the gardens; upavanaanicha = and groves; mudyuktaaH = with rejoice.
"We also wish to proceed to Ayodhya. You take all of us there we shall range the gardens and groves there with rejoice."
दृष्ट्वा त्वामभिषेकार्द्रं कौसल्यामभिवाद्य च || ६-१२२-२०
अचिरादागमिष्यामः स्वगृहान्नृपसत्तम |
20. nR^ipasattama = O the excellent king!; dR^iShTvaa = seeing; tvaam = you; abhiShekaardram = drenched with ablution (in the coronation-ceremony); abhivaadya cha = and offering our salutations; kausalyaam = to Kausalya; achiraam aagamiShyaamaH = we shall soon return; svagR^ihaan = to our homes.
"O the excellent king! Seeing you, drench with ablution (in the coronation ceremony) and offering our salutations to Kausalya, we shall return to our homes."
एवमुक्तः स धर्मात्मा वानरैः सविभीषणैः || ६-१२२-२१
अब्रवीद्वानरान्रामः ससुग्रीवविभीषणान् |
21. evam = thus; uktaH = spoken; vaanaraiH = by the monkeys; savibhiiShaNaiH = and Vibhishana; saH dharmaatmaa raamaH = that pious minded Rama; abraviit = spoke; vaanaraan = to the monkeys; sasugriiva vibhiiShaNaan = Sugreeva and Vibhishana (as follows):
Hearing those words of the monkeys and Vibhishana, that pious-minded Rama spoke to those monkeys, Sugreeva and Vibhishana as follows:
प्रियाअत्प्रियतरं लब्धं यदहं ससुहृज्जनः || ६-१२२-२२
सर्वैर्भवद्भिः सहितः प्रीतिं लप्स्ये पुरीं गतः |
22. priyataram = something more dearer; priyaat = than everything dear; labdham = will be achieved (by me); yat aham gataH puriim = if I reach Ayodhya; sasuhR^ijjanaH = with the host of my friends; sarvaiH bhavadbhiH sahitaH = and with all of you; priitim lapsye = for; I shall feel delighted.
"Something more dearer than everything dear will be achieved by me, if I reach Ayodhya with the host of my friends along with all of you, for, I shall feel delighted."
क्षिप्रमारोह सुग्रीव विमानं वानरैः सह || ६-१२२-२३
त्वमप्यारोह सामात्यो राक्षसेन्द्र विभीषण |
23. sugriiva = O Sugreeva!; aaroha = Mount; vimaanam = the aerial car; kShipram = quickly; vaanaraiH saha = along with the monkeys; vibhiiShana = O Vibhishana; raakShasendra = the king of demons!; tvam api aarhoha = you also ascend it; saamaatyaH = along with your counsellors.
"O Sugreeva! Mount the aerial cars quickly, along with the monkeys. O Vibhishana, the king of demons! You also ascend it, along with your counsellors."
ततह् स पुष्पकं दिव्यं सुग्रीवः सह वानरैः || ६-१२२-२४
आरुरोह मुदा युक्तः समात्यश्च विभीषणः |
24. tataH = thereupon; saH sugriivaH = that Sugreeva; vaanaraiH saha = along with the monkeys; mudaa yuktaH = gladly; aaruroha = ascended; divyam = the wonderful; puShpakam = Pushpaka; the aerial car; vibhiShanashcha = as also Vibhishana; saamaatyaH = together with his counsellors.
Thereupon, that Sugreeva along with the monkeys gladly ascended that wonderful Pushpaka, the aerial car. Vibhishana together with his counselors also ascended it.
तेष्वारूढेषु सर्वेषु कौबेरम् परमासनम् || ६-१२२-२५
राघवेणाभ्यनुज्ञातमुत्पपात विहायसम् |
25. teShu sarveShu = when all of them; aaruuDheShu = ascended; paramaasanam = that excellent aerial car; kauberam = belonging to Kubera; utpapaata = flew; vihaayasam = into the sky; abhyanujJNaatam = after having been duly authorized; raaghaveNa = by Rama.
When all of them ascended, that excellent aerial car, belonging to Kubera, flew into the sky, after having been duly authorized by Rama.
खगतेन मिवानेन हंसयुक्तेन भास्वता || ६-१२२-२६
प्रहृष्टश्चप्रतीतश्च बभौ रामः कुबेरवत् |
26. prahR^iShTashcha = feeling greatly rejoiced; pratiitashcha = and satisfied; bhaasvataa vimaanena = while travelling in the splendid aerial car; khagatena = which was now in the air; hamsayuktena = and was provided with the image of swan; raamaH = Rama; babhau = shone; kuberavat = like Kubera.
Feeling greatly rejoiced and satisfied while travelling in that splendid aerial car, which was now in the air and was provided with the image of a swan, Rama shone like Kubera.
ते सर्वे वानरर्क्षश्च राक्षसाश्च महाबलाः || ६-१२२-२७
यथासुखमसंबाधं दिव्ये तस्मिन्नुपाविशन् |
27. te sarve = all those; mahaabalaaH = mighty; vaanaraH = monkeys; R^ikShaH = bears; raakShasaashcha = and demons; upaavishan = sat; asambaadham = spaciously; yathaa sukham = and comfortably; divye tasmin = in that wonderful aerial car.
All those mighty monkeys, bears and demons sat comfortably and spaciously in that wonderful aerial car.
- - - -
इत्यार्षे श्रीमद्रामायणे आदिकाव्ये युद्धकाण्डे द्वाविंशत्यधिकशततमः सर्गः
|Top of Page||1||2||3||4|
© October 2009, K. M. K. Murthy