Rama commands Vibhishana to honour the monkeys with gold and precious stones. When Vibhishana has honoured them with the gifts, Rama along with Lakshmana and Seetha ascend the aerial car. When the monkeys and Vibhishana request Rama to permit them to accompany in the aerial car upto Ayodhya to witness his coronation-ceremony, Rama gladly permits them to do so. All of them start on their aerial journey in Pushpaka, the wonderful aerial car which can accommodate all, spaciously.
upasthitam tu taṃ kṛtvā puṣpakaṃ puṣpabhūṣitam |
avidūre sthito rāmamityuvāca vibhīṣaṇaḥ || 6-122-1
1. vihiiShaNaH = Vibhishana; kR^itvaa upasthitam = keeping ready; tam = that; puShpakam = Pushpaka the aerial car; puShpabhuuShitam = decorated with flowers; sthitaH = stood; aviduure = not very far; uvaacha = and spoke; iti = thus; raamam = to Rama (as follows):
Keeping ready Pushpaka the aerial car decorated with flowers, Vibhishana, for his part, standing not very far, spoke to Rama (as follows):
sa tu baddhāñjalipuṭo vinīto rākṣaseśvaraḥ |
abravīttvarayopetaḥ kiṃ karomīti rāghavam || 6-122-2
2. kim karomi = "What (more) can I do?"; iti = thus; abraviit = spoke; upetaH tvarayaa = with haste; saH raakShaseshvaraH = that Vibhishana; viniitaH = endowed with modesty; baddhaaN^jalipuTaH = and with joined palms; raaghavam = to Rama.
"What more can I do?" thus spoke with haste, Vibhishana endowed as he was with modesty and with joined palms, to Rama.
tamabravīnmahātejā lakṣmaṇasyopaśṛṇvataḥ |
vimṛśya rāghavo vācamidaṃ snehapuraskṛtam || 6-122-3
3. vimR^iShya = after some circumspection; raamaH = Rama; mahaatejaaH = of great splendor; snehapuraskR^itam = affectionately; uvaacha = spoke; idam = the following words; tam = to him; lakShmaNasya upashR^iNvataH = while Lakshmana was listening.
After some circumspection, Rama of great splendor, affectionately spoke the following words to him, while Lakshmana was listening:
kṛtaprayatnakarmāṇaḥ sarva eva vanecarāḥ |
ratnairarthaiśca vividhaiḥ saṃpūjyantāṃ vibhīṣaṇa || 6-122-4
4. sarva eva vanecharaaH = (Let) all these monkeys and bears (ie. Denizem of forests) kR^ita prayatna karmaaNaH = who performed tasks of exertion; sampuujyantaam = be honoured; ratnaiH = with precious stones; vividhaiH arthaishcha = and riches of various kinds; vibhiiShaNa = O Vibhishana!
"Let all these monkeys and bears (ie. Denizens of forests), who performed tasks of exertion, be honoured with tasks of exertion, be honoured with precious stones and riches of various kinds, O Vibhishana!"
sahāmībhistvayā laṅkā nirjitā rākṣaseśvara |
hṛṣṭaiḥ prāṇabhayaṃ tyaktvā saṃgrāmeṣvanivartibhiḥ || 6-122-5
5. raakShaseshvara = O Vibhishana the king of demons!; tvaya = by you; amiibhiH saha = in collaboration with them; anivartibhiH = who never turned their backs; samgraameShu = in battles; hR^iShTaiH = and fought joyfully; tyaktvaa = ignoring; praaNabhayam = all risk to their lives; laN^kaa = Lanka; nirjitaa = has been conquered.
"O Vibhishana the king of demons! Lanka has conquered by you, in collaboration with these monkeys, who never turned their backs in battles and fought joyfully, ignoring all risk to their lives."
ta ime kṛtakarmāṇaḥ sarva eva vanaukasaḥ |
dhanaratnapradānena karmaiṣāṃ saphalaṃ kuru || 6-122-6
6. sarve eva te ime vanaukasaH = all these mokeys without exception; kR^itakarmaaNaH = have accomplished their task; kuru saphalam eShaam karma = reward their achievement; dhanaratna pradaanena = with gift of gold and precious stones.
"All these monkeys, without exceptions, have accomplished their task. Reward their achievement with gifts of gold and precious stones."
evam saṃmānitāścaite nandyamānā yathā tvayā |
bhaviṣyanti kṛtajñena nirviṛtā hariyūthapāḥ || 6-122-7
7. sammanitaa = highly honoured; evam = in this way; yathaa nandyamaanaaH = and duly cheered; tvayaa = by you; kR^itajJNena = acknowledging their services; ete hariyuuthapaaH = the chiefs of monkeys-troops; bhaviShyanti = will feel; nirvR^itaaH = happy.
"Highly honoured in this way any duly cheered by you, acknowledging their services, the chiefs of monkey-troops, will feel happy."
tyāginaṃ saṃgrahītāraṃ sānukrośaṃ jitendriyam |
sarve tvāmabhigacchanti tataḥ saṃbodhayāmi te || 6-122-8
8. sarve = all; abhigachchhanti = will come nearer; tvaam = to you; tyaaginam = having the quality of generosity; samgrahiitaaram = and propitiating others; saanukrosham = showing compassion; jitendriyam = and having subjugated your senses; tataH = Hence; sambodhayaami = I am reminding; te = you.
"All will come nearer to you, for having possessed this quality of generosity, for propitiating them, for showing compassion to them and for having subjugated your senses. Hence, I am reminding you."
hīnaṃ ratiguṇaiḥ sarvairabhihantāramāhave |
senā tyajati saṃvignā nṛpatiṃ taṃ nareśvara || 6-122-9
9. nareshvara = O king!; samvignaa = feeling agitated; senaa = the army; tyajati = deserts; tam nR^ipatim = that king; hiinam = who is bereft; sarvaiH ratiguNaiH = of all loving qualities; hantaaram = and who orders them to kill people; aahave = in battle.
"O king! Feeling agitated, the army deserts that king, who is bereft of all loving qualities and who merely orders them to kill people in battle."
evamuktastu rāmeṇa vānarāṃstānvibhīṣaṇaḥ |
ratnārthasaṃvibhāgena sarvānevābhyapūjayat || 6-122-10
10. evam = thus uktaH = spoken; raameNa = by Rama; vibhiiShaNaH = Vibhishana; abhyapuujayat = honoured; sarve taan vaanaraan = all those monkeys; ratnartha samvibhaagena = by dispersing precious stones and gold to them.
Hearing the words of Rama, Vibhishana honoured all those monkeys, by dispersing precious stones and gold to them.
tatastān pūjitān dṛṣṭvā ratnārthairhariyūthapān |
āruroha tadā rāmastadvimānamanuttamam || 6-122-11
11. tataH = thereafter; dR^iShTvaa = having seen; taan hariyuuthapaan = those commanders of monkey-troops; puujitaan = honoured; ratnaarthaiH = with precious stones and gold; raamaH = Rama; tadaa = then; aaruroha = mounted; tat = that; anuttamam = excellent; vimaanam = aerial car.
Thereafter, having seen on that occasion all those commanders of monkey-troops honoured with precious stones and gold, Rama then mounted that excellent aerial car.
aṅkenādāya vaidehīṃ lajjamānāṃ yaśasvinīm |
lakṣmaṇena saha bhrātrā vikrāntena dhanuṣmatā || 6-122-12
12. (He mounted the aerial car); lakShmaNena saha = along with Lakshmana; bhraatraa = his brother; vikraantena = who was valiant; dhanuShmataa = wielding a bow; aadaaya = taking; yashasviniim = the illustrious; vaidehiim = Seetha; lajjamaanaam = who was feeling abashed; aN^kena = in his arms.
He mounted the aerial car along with Lakshmana, his valiant brother wielding a bow and taking the illustrious Seetha, who was feeling abashed, in his arms.
abravītsa vimānasthaḥ pūjayan sarvavānarān |
sugrīvaṃ ca mahāvīryam kākutstaḥ savibhīṣaṇam || 6-122-13
13. puujayan = bestowing his attention; sarva vaanaraan = on all the monkeys; savibhiiShaNam = as well as Vibhishana; mahaaviiryam = and the mighty; sugriivam cha = Sugreeva; saH kaakutthsaH = that Rama; vimaanasthaH = remaining in the aerial car; abraviit = spoke (as follows):
Bestowing attention on all the monkeys as well as Vibhishana and the mighty Sugreeva, Rama remaining in the aerial car, spoke (as follows):
mitrakāryam kṛtamidaṃ bhavadbhidvānararṣabhāḥ |
anujñātā mayā sarve yatheṣṭam pratigacchata || 6-122-14
14. vaanararShabhaaH = O the foremost of monkeys!; idam = this; mitrakaaryam = work of a friend; kR^itam = has been accomplished; bhavidbhiH = by you; mayaa anujJNaataaH = permitted by me; sarve = all of you; pratigachchhata = can go; yatheShTam = where you will.
"O the foremost of monkeys! This work of a friend has been accomplished by you. Permitted by me, all of you can go, where you will."
yattu kāryaṃ vayasyena snigdhena ca hitena ca |
kṛtaṃ sugrīva tatsarvaṃ bhavatā dharmabhīruṇā || 6-122-15
kiṣkindhāṃ pratiyāhyaśu svasainyenābhisaṃvṛtaḥ |
15. sugriiva = O Sugreeva!; bhavataa = by you; dharma bhiiruNaa = who are trembling alive to righteousness; sarvam tat = and all that; yat tu kaaryam = which ought to be done; snigdhena hitena vayasyena = by an affectionate and service-minded friend; kR^itam = has been done; bhavataa = by you; yaahi = go; aashu = at once; abhisamvR^itaH = accompanied; svasinyena = by your army; kiShkindhaam = to Kishkindha.
"O Sugreeva! All that which ought to be done by an affectionate and service-minded friend, has been done for your part by you, trembling alive as you are to righteousness. Accompanied by your army, proceed to Kishkindha at once."
svarājye vasa laṅkāyāṃ mayā datte vibhīṣaṇa || 6-122-16
na tvāṃ dharṣayituṃ śaktāḥ sendrā api divaukasaḥ |
16. vibhiiShana = O Vibhishana!; vasa = reside; laN^kaayaam = in Lanka; svaraajya = your own kingdom; date = conferred; mayaa = by me; divaukasaH api = even the celestials; sendraaH = including Indra; na shaktaaH = shall not be able; dharShayitum to attack; tvaam = you.
"O Vibhishana! Settle down in your kingdom at Lanka, conferred by me. Even the celestials including Indra shall not be able to attack you."
ayodhyāṃ pratiyāsyāmi rājadhānīṃ piturmama || 6-122-17
abhyanujñātumicchami sarvānāmantrayāmi vaḥ |
17. yaasyaami = I am going; ayodhyaam prati = to Ayodhya; raajadhaaniim = seat of government; mama pituH = of my father; ichchhaami = I bid; abhyanujJNaatum = adieu (to you); aamantrayaami = and wish to take leave; vah = of you; sarvaan = all.
" I am going to Ayodhya, the seat of government of my father. I bid adieu to you and wish to take leave of you all."
evamuktāstu rāmeṇa harīndrā harayastathā || 6-122-18
ūcuḥ prāñjalayaḥ sarve rākṣasaśca vibhīṣaṇaḥ |
18. evam = thus; uktaaH = spoken; raameNa = by Rama; hariindraah = the monkey-chiefs; tathaa = and; harayaH = the monkeys; vibhiiShaNaH = Vibhishana; raakShasaH = the demon; sarve = and all of them there; uuchuH = spoke (as follows); praaN^jalayaH = with their joined palms.
Hearing the words of Rama, the monkey-chiefs, the monkeys, Vibhishana the demon and all of them there, with their joined palms, spoke (as follows):
ayodhyāṃ gantumicchāmaḥ sarvān nayatu no bhavān || 6-122-19
mudyuktā vicariṣyāmo vanānyupananāni ca |
19. ichchhaami = we (also) wish; gantum = to proceed; ayodhyaam = to Ayodhya; bhavaan = you; nayatu = take; sarvaan naH = all of us there; vichariShyaamah = we shall range; vanaani = the gardens; upavanaanicha = and groves; mudyuktaaH = with rejoice.
"We also wish to proceed to Ayodhya. You take all of us there we shall range the gardens and groves there with rejoice."
dṛṣṭvā tvāmabhiṣekārdraṃ kausalyāmabhivādya ca || 6-122-20
acirādāgamiṣyāmaḥ svagṛhānnṛpasattama |
20. nR^ipasattama = O the excellent king!; dR^iShTvaa = seeing; tvaam = you; abhiShekaardram = drenched with ablution (in the coronation-ceremony); abhivaadya cha = and offering our salutations; kausalyaam = to Kausalya; achiraam aagamiShyaamaH = we shall soon return; svagR^ihaan = to our homes.
"O the excellent king! Seeing you, drench with ablution (in the coronation ceremony) and offering our salutations to Kausalya, we shall return to our homes."
evamuktaḥ sa dharmātmā vānaraiḥ savibhīṣaṇaiḥ || 6-122-21
abravīdvānarānrāmaḥ sasugrīvavibhīṣaṇān |
21. evam = thus; uktaH = spoken; vaanaraiH = by the monkeys; savibhiiShaNaiH = and Vibhishana; saH dharmaatmaa raamaH = that pious minded Rama; abraviit = spoke; vaanaraan = to the monkeys; sasugriiva vibhiiShaNaan = Sugreeva and Vibhishana (as follows):
Hearing those words of the monkeys and Vibhishana, that pious-minded Rama spoke to those monkeys, Sugreeva and Vibhishana as follows:
priyāatpriyataraṃ labdhaṃ yadahaṃ sasuhṛjjanaḥ || 6-122-22
sarvairbhavadbhiḥ sahitaḥ prītiṃ lapsye purīṃ gataḥ |
22. priyataram = something more dearer; priyaat = than everything dear; labdham = will be achieved (by me); yat aham gataH puriim = if I reach Ayodhya; sasuhR^ijjanaH = with the host of my friends; sarvaiH bhavadbhiH sahitaH = and with all of you; priitim lapsye = for; I shall feel delighted.
"Something more dearer than everything dear will be achieved by me, if I reach Ayodhya with the host of my friends along with all of you, for, I shall feel delighted."
kṣipramāroha sugrīva vimānaṃ vānaraiḥ saha || 6-122-23
tvamapyāroha sāmātyo rākṣasendra vibhīṣaṇa |
23. sugriiva = O Sugreeva!; aaroha = Mount; vimaanam = the aerial car; kShipram = quickly; vaanaraiH saha = along with the monkeys; vibhiiShana = O Vibhishana; raakShasendra = the king of demons!; tvam api aarhoha = you also ascend it; saamaatyaH = along with your counsellors.
"O Sugreeva! Mount the aerial cars quickly, along with the monkeys. O Vibhishana, the king of demons! You also ascend it, along with your counsellors."
tatah sa puṣpakaṃ divyaṃ sugrīvaḥ saha vānaraiḥ || 6-122-24
āruroha mudā yuktaḥ samātyaśca vibhīṣaṇaḥ |
24. tataH = thereupon; saH sugriivaH = that Sugreeva; vaanaraiH saha = along with the monkeys; mudaa yuktaH = gladly; aaruroha = ascended; divyam = the wonderful; puShpakam = Pushpaka; the aerial car; vibhiShanashcha = as also Vibhishana; saamaatyaH = together with his counsellors.
Thereupon, that Sugreeva along with the monkeys gladly ascended that wonderful Pushpaka, the aerial car. Vibhishana together with his counselors also ascended it.
teṣvārūḍheṣu sarveṣu kauberam paramāsanam || 6-122-25
rāghaveṇābhyanujñātamutpapāta vihāyasam |
25. teShu sarveShu = when all of them; aaruuDheShu = ascended; paramaasanam = that excellent aerial car; kauberam = belonging to Kubera; utpapaata = flew; vihaayasam = into the sky; abhyanujJNaatam = after having been duly authorized; raaghaveNa = by Rama.
When all of them ascended, that excellent aerial car, belonging to Kubera, flew into the sky, after having been duly authorized by Rama.
khagatena mivānena haṃsayuktena bhāsvatā || 6-122-26
prahṛṣṭaścapratītaśca babhau rāmaḥ kuberavat |
26. prahR^iShTashcha = feeling greatly rejoiced; pratiitashcha = and satisfied; bhaasvataa vimaanena = while travelling in the splendid aerial car; khagatena = which was now in the air; hamsayuktena = and was provided with the image of swan; raamaH = Rama; babhau = shone; kuberavat = like Kubera.
Feeling greatly rejoiced and satisfied while travelling in that splendid aerial car, which was now in the air and was provided with the image of a swan, Rama shone like Kubera.
te sarve vānararkṣaśca rākṣasāśca mahābalāḥ || 6-122-27
yathāsukhamasaṃbādhaṃ divye tasminnupāviśan |
27. te sarve = all those; mahaabalaaH = mighty; vaanaraH = monkeys; R^ikShaH = bears; raakShasaashcha = and demons; upaavishan = sat; asambaadham = spaciously; yathaa sukham = and comfortably; divye tasmin = in that wonderful aerial car.
All those mighty monkeys, bears and demons sat comfortably and spaciously in that wonderful aerial car.
- - - -
ityārṣe śrīmadrāmāyaṇe ādikāvye yuddhakāṇḍe dvāviṃśatyadhikaśatatamaḥ sargaḥ
|Top of Page||1||2||3||4|
© October 2009, K. M. K. Murthy
Global View of
Fastest FTPS (SSL) anywhere, Go FTP FREE Program