Rama prepares to leave for Ayodhya. Even though Vibhishana requests Rama to remain at Lanka for some more time and receive his hospitality, Rama gently refuses to do so, adding that he needs to proceed to Ayodhya quickly, to see his mothers, brothers and people there. Vibhishana arranges the aerial car, Pushpaka to transport Rama and others to Ayodhya.
तां रात्रिमुषितं रामं सुखोदितमरिंदमम् |
अब्रवीत् प्राञ्जलिर्वाक्यं जयम् पृष्ट्वा विभीषणः || ६-१२१-१
1. vibhishanaH = Vibhishana; pR^iShTvaa = wishing; jayan = victory; raamam = to Rama; arimdamam = the destroyer of adversaries; uShitam taam raatrim = who having reposed during the previous night; sukhoditam = had risen fresh; abraviit = spoke; (to him); vaakyam = the following words; praaN^jalim = with joined palms.
Vibhishana, wishing victory to Rama, (the destroyer of adversaries) who having reposed during the previous night and had risen fresh, spoke to him with joined palms, the following words:
स्नानानि चाङ्गारागाणि वस्त्राण्याभरणानि च |
चन्दनानि च माल्यानि दिव्यानि विविधानि च || ६-१२१-२
अलंकारविदश्चैता नार्यः पद्मनिभेक्षणाः |
उपस्थितास्त्वां विधिवत् स्नापयिष्यन्ति राघव || ६-१२१-३
2-3. etaaH naaryaH = these women; padmanibhekShaNaaH = with lotus-like eyes; alamkaara vidaH = who are skilled in the art of decoration; upasthitaaH = came; snaanaani = with bathing accessories; aN^garaagaaNi = (like) cosmetics; vastraaNi = garments; chandanaani cha = sandal-pastels; divyaani vividhaani maalyaani cha = and beautiful garlands of various kinds; vidhivat tvaam snaapayiShyanti = they will duly assist you in bathing; raaghava = O Rama!
"These women with lotus-like eyes, who are skilled in the art of decoration, came with bathing accessories like garments, ornaments, sandal-pastes and beautiful garlands of various kinds. They will assist you in bathing O Rama!"
एवमुक्तस्तु काकुत्स्थः प्रत्युवाच विभीषणम् |
हरीन् सुग्रीवमुख्यांस्त्वं स्नानेनोपनिमन्त्रय || ६-१२१-४
4. evam = thus; uktaiH = spoken; kaakutthsa = Rama; pratyuvaacha = replied; vibhiiShaNam = To Vibhishana (as follows); tvam = you; upanimantraya = invite; hariin = the monkeys; sugriiva pramukhaan = headed by Sugreeva; snaanena = for the bath.
Hearing the words of Vibhishana, Rama replied as follows: "You invite the monkeys headed by Sugreeva for the bath."
सत् उ ताम्यति धर्मात्मा मम हेतोः सुखोचितः |
सुकुमारो महाबाहुर्भरतः सत्यसंस्रयः || ६-१२१-५
5. saH bharataH = that Bharata; dharmaatmaa = the virtuous man; sukhochitaH = who was accustomed to comfort; sukumaaraH = a delicate youth; mahaabaahuH = the great-armed; saty samshrayaH = and the one consistent with the Truth; taamyati = is suffering; mama hetoH = on my account.
"That Bharata, the virtuous man, who was accustomed to comfort, a delicate youth, the great-armed and the one consistent with the truth is suffering on my account."
तं विना कैकयीपुत्रम् भरतं धर्मचारिणम् |
न मे स्नानं बहुमतं वस्त्राण्यानि च || ६-१२१-६
6. tam bharatam vinaa = In the absence of that Bharata; kaikayiiputram = the son of Kaikeyi; dharmachaariNam = who is practicing virtue; snaanam = (ritual) bathing; na bahumatam = is not a liking; me = to me; vastraaNi = (nor) the garments; aabharaaNi cha = (nor) the jewels.
In the absence of Bharata, the son of Kaikeyi, who is practicing virtue, ritual bathing, garments and jewels are not to my liking."
एतत् पश्य यथा क्षिप्रं प्रतिगच्छाम ताम् पुरीम् |
अयोध्याम् गच्छतो ह्येष पन्थाह् परमदुर्गमः || ६-१२१-७
7. pashya = see; yathaa = how; etat = this (we may); pratigachchhaama = return; taam puriim = to that City of Ayodhya; eShaH panthaah = this path; parama durgamaH hi = is indeed very difficult to be travelled over; gachchhataH = (for anyone) proceeding; ayodhyaam = to Ayodhya City.
"See how we may return to that City of Ayodhya soon. It is indeed very difficult to travel over this path to reach Ayodhya City, so soon."
एवमुक्तस्तु काकुत्स्थं प्रत्युवाच विभीषणः |
अह्ना त्वां प्रापयिष्यामि ताम् पुरीं पार्थिवात्मज || ६-१२१-८
8. evam = thus; uktaH = spoken; vibhiiShaNaH = Vibhishana; pratyuvaacha = replied; kaakutthsam = to Rama (as follows):; paarthivaatmaja = O prince!; praapayiShyaami = I will get; tvaam = you; taam puriim = to that City; aahanaa = in a day.
Hearing the words of Rama, Vibhishana replied : "O prince! I will get you t that City in a day."
पुष्पकं नाम भद्रं ते विमानं सूर्यसम्निभम् |
मम भ्रातुः कुबेरस्य रावणेन बलीयसा || ६-१२१-९
हृतं निर्जित्य सम्ग्रामे कामगं दिव्यमुत्तमम् |
त्वदर्थं पालितं चेदं तिष्ठत्यतुलविक्रम || ६-१२१-१०
9-10. atula vikrama = O Rama of unequalled prowess!; vimaanam = the aerial car; suuryasamnibham = shining like the sun; kaamagam = which moves as one pleases; divyam = wonderful; uttamam = and excellent; puShpakam naama = called Pushpaka; kuberasya = of Kubera; mama bhraataa = my brother; hR^itam = was robbed; baaliiyasaa raavanena = by the mighty Ravana;nirjatya = after conquering Kubera; samgraame = in battle; te bhadram = may prosperity attend you!; idam = it; tiShThati = is there; paalitam = retained; tvadartham = for you sake.
"O Rama of unequalled prowess! The aerial car shining like the sun, which moves as one pleases, wonderful and excellent, named Pushpaka of Kubera my brother was robbed by the mighty Ravana after conquering Kubera in battle. May prosperity attend you! It is retained there for your sake."
तदिदं मेघसंकाशं विमानमिह तिष्ठति |
येन यास्यसि यानेन त्वमयोध्यां गतज्वरः || ६-१२१-११
11. tat idam vimaanam = she yonder aerial car; meghasamkaasham = looking like a cloud; iha tiShThati = sands here; yena yaanena = by which transport; tvam = you; yaasyasi = can reach ayodhyaam = to Ayodhya; vigatajvaraH = without any trouble.
"The yonder aerial car, looking like a cloud, stands here and by which transport, you can reach Ayodhya without any trouble."
अहम् ते यद्यनुग्राह्यो यदि स्मरसि मे गुणान् |
वस तावदिह प्राज्ञ यद्यस्ति मयि सौहृदम् || ६-१२१-१२
12. praajJNa = O sagacious prince!; aham yadi anugraahyaH = if I deserve to be treated with kindness; te = by you; smarasi yadi me gunaan- if you think of any virtue in me; sauhR^idam mayi asti yadi = if you have any affection in me; vasataavat = remain; iha = here (for some more time).
"O sagacious prince! If I deserve to be treated with kindness by you, if you think of any virtue in me and if you think of any virtue in me and if you have any affection in me, stay here for some more time."
लक्ष्मणेन सह भ्रात्रा वैदेह्या भार्यया सह |
अर्चितह् सर्वकामैस्त्वं ततो राम गमिष्यसि || ६-१२१-१३
13. raama = O Rama!; architaH = having been offered with reverence; sarva kaamaiH = all the entertainments tvam = you; bhraatraa lakShmaNena saha = along with Lakshmana your brother; bhaaryayaa vaidehyaa saha = and together with Seetha; your consort; tataH gamiShyasi = you may go; thereafter.
"O Rama! When you have been offered with reference all the entertainments, you along with Lakshmana, your brother and Seetha your consort, shall then depart."
प्रीतियुक्तस्य विहितां ससैन्यः ससुहृद्गणः |
सत्क्रियां राम मे तावद्गृहाण त्वं मयोद्यताम् || ६-१२१-१४
14. raama = O Rama!; gR^ihaaNa taavat = accept; tvam = you; sa sainyaH = along with the army; sasuhR^idgaNaH = and assemblage of friends; me satkriyaam = my hospitality; priitiyuktasya = endowed with affection; vihitaam = fixed; udyataam = and arranged; mayaa = by me.
"O Rama! In the meantime, accept you, with your entire army and assemblage of friends, my hospitality which has been fixed and arranged by me, full of affection as I am."
प्रणयाद्बहुमानाच्च सौहार्देन च राघव |
प्रसादयामि प्रेष्योऽहं न खल्वाज्ञापयामि ते || ६-१२१-१५
15. raaghava = O Rama!; prasaadayaami = I entreat you; praNayaat = with affection; bahumaanaachcha = with honour; sauhaardena = and with friendship; aham = I am; preShyaH = your servent; naajJNaapayaami khalu = I am not indeed commanding; te = you (to do so).
"O Rama! I entreat you with affection, respect and friendship I am your servant. I am not in any way commanding you to do so."
एवमुक्तस्ततो रामह् प्रत्युवाच विभीषणम् |
रक्षसां वानराणां च सर्वेषमेव शृण्वताम् || ६-१२१-१६
16. evam uktaH = thus spoken; raamaH = Rama; tataH = then; pratyuvaacha = replied; vibhiiShaNam = to Vibhishana; sarveShaam rakShasaam = while all the demons; vaanaraaNaam cha = and the monkeys; shR^iN^vataam = listened.
Hearing those words, Rama replied to Vibhishana as follows, while all the demons and the monkeys present there, listened:
पूजितोऽस्मि त्वया वीर साचिव्येन परंतप |
सर्वत्मना च चेष्टाभिः सौहार्देन परेण च || ६-१२१-१७
17. paramtapa = O destroyer of enemies!; viira = O hero!; saachivyena = by your valued counsel; cheShTaabhiH = by your efforts put forth; sarvaatmanaa = with your whole soul; pareNa = and more so; sauhaardena = by your friendship; puujitaH asmi = I stand honoured; tvayaa = by you.
"O destroyer of enemies! O hero! I stand honoured by you by your valued counsel, your efforts put forth with your whole soul and more so by your friendship.
न खल्वेतन्न कुर्याम् ते वचनं राक्षसेश्वर |
तं तु मे भ्रातरं द्रष्टुम् भरतं त्वरते मनः || ६-१२१-१८
18. raakShaseshvara = O the king of demons!; na kuryaamiti na khalu = It is not that I am not carrying out; etat vachanam = these words; te = of yours; tu = but; manaH = my heart; tvarate = is hastening; draShTum = to see; tam bharatam = that Bharata; bhraataram = my brother.
"O king of demons! It is not that I am not carrying out your words. But, my heart is hastening to see that Bharata, my brother."
मां निवर्तयितुं योऽसौ चित्रकूटमुपागतः |
शिरसा याचतो यस्य वचनम् न कृतं मया || ६-१२१-१९
कौसल्यां च सुमित्राम् च कैकेयीं च यशस्विनीम् |
गुहम् च सुहृदं चैव पौरान् जनपदैः सह || ६-१२१-२०
19-20. (My heart is hastening to see); yaH asau = that Bharata; upaagataH = who came; chitrakuuTam = all the way to Mount Chitrakuta; mama nivartayitum = to take me back (to Ayodhya); yasya vachanam = yet whose appeal; na kR^itam = was not executed; mayaa = by me; yaachataH shirasaa = eventhough he requested me with his head bent low; kausalyaam cha = and Kausalya my mother; simitraam cha = as also Sumitra; yashsviniim kaikeyiimcha = and the illustrious Kaikeyi (my step-mothers); guham cha = and Guha; suhR^idan = my friend; pauraan = as well as citizens of Ayodhya; jaanapadaiH saha = and the inhabitants of the country-side.
"My heart is hastening to see that Bharata, who came all the way to Mount Chitrakuta to take me back to Ayodhya, yet whose appeal was not executed by me, even though he requested me with his head bent low and Kausalya my mother as also Sumitra and the illustrious Kaikeyi (my step-mothers) as also Guha my friend, as well as the citizens of Ayodhya and the inhabitants of the country-side."
अनुजानीहि मां सौम्य पूजितोऽस्मि विभीषण |
मन्युर्न खलु कर्तव्यः सखे त्वां चानुमानये || ६-१२१-२१
21. saumya vibhiiShaaNa = O gentle Vibhishana!; anujaaniihi = allow; maam = me (to go); puujitaH asmi = I am honoured; sakhe = O friend!; manyuH na kartavyaH = you need not be disappointed; anumaanayecha = I entreat; tvaam = you.
"O gentle Vibhishana! Allow me to go. I am honoured. O friend! You need not be disappointed, I entreat you."
उपस्थापय मे शीघ्रं विमानं राक्षसेश्वर |
कृतकार्यस्य मे वासह् कथम् स्यादिह संमतः || ६-१२१-२२
22. raakShaseshvara = O the king of demons!; upasthaapaya = fetch; vimaanam = the aerial car; shiighram = immediately; katham = how; sammataH syaat = is it advisable; vaasaH = for a stay; iha = here; me = for me; kR^itakaaryasya = that my task has been accomplished.
"O the king of demons! Fetch the aerial car immediately. How is it advisable for my continued stay here, now that my task has been accomplished?"
एवमुक्तस्तु रामेण राक्षसेन्द्रो विभीषनः |
विमानं सूर्यसम्काशमाजुहाव त्वरान्वितः || ६-१२१-२३
ततः काञ्चत्राङ्गं वैदूर्यमणिवेदिकम् |
काञ्चनं काञ्चनैर्हर्म्यैर्हेमपद्मविभूषितैः || ६-१२१-२४
पाण्डुराभिह् पताकाभिर्ध्वजैश्च समलंकृतम् |
काञ्चनं काञ्चनैर्हर्म्यैर्हेमपद्मविब्बूषितैः || ६-१२१-२५
प्रकीर्णं किङ्किणीजालैर्मुक्तामणिगवाक्षकम् |
घण्टाजालैः परिक्षिप्तम् सर्वतो मधुरस्वनम् || ६-१२१-२६
तं मेरुशिखराकारं निर्मितम् विश्वकर्मणा |
बृहद्बिर्भूषितं हर्म्योर्मुक्तारजतशोभितैः || ६-१२१-२७
तलैह् स्फटिकचित्राङ्गर्वैदूर्यैश्च वरासनैः |
महार्हस्तरणोपेतैरुपपन्नं महाधनैः || ६-१२१-२८
23-28. evam = thus; uktaH = spoken; raameNa = by Rama; vibhiiShaNaH = Vibhishana; raakShasendraH = the king of demons; tataH = then; tvaraanvitaH = hastily; aajuhaava = invoked (the presence); tam vimaanam = of that aerial car; suuryasamkaasham = shining like the sun; kaaNchana chitraaN^gam = with colourful parts made of gold; vaiDuuryamaNi vedikam = with platform made of cat's-eye gems; kuuTaagaaraiH = which was full of attics; sarvataH parikliptam rajataprabham = shone like silver on all sides; samalamkR^itam = decorated well; paaN^DuraabhiH = with white; pataakaabhiH = flags; dhvajaishcha = and flag-staffs; vibhuuShitaiH = decked; kaaNchanam = with gold; hema padma = and golden lotuses; kaaNchanaiH harmaiH = graced with golden mansions; prakiirNam = hung all over; kiNkiNiijaalaiH = with net works of tiny bells; muktaa maNi gavaakShakam = containing eye holes set; madhura svanam = giving forth a melodious sound; sarvataH = on all sides; meru shikharaakaaram = resembling a summit of Mount Meru; nimitam = built; vishvakarmaNaa = by Vishvakarma; shobhitaiH = which was graced; bR^ihadbhiH harmyaiH = graced with stately palaces; muktaa rajita shobhitaiH = decked with pearls and silver; talaiH = provided with pavements; sphaTika chitraN^gaiH = inlaid with crystal; upetam varaasanaiH = furnished with excellent seats; vaiDuuryaishcha = of cats eye gems; mahaadhanaiH = of great value; mahaarhaastaraNopetaiH = and upholstered with highly; nivedayitvaa = informing; raamaaya = Rama; tat vimaanam = that the said aerial car; anaadhR^iShyam = and was swift as thought; upasthitam = had arrived; vibhiiShaNaH = Vibhishana; tasthau = stood; tatra = there.
Hearing the words of Rama, Vibhishana the king of demons then hastily invoked the presence of that aerial car shining like the sun, with colourful parts made of gold, with the platform made of cat's-eye gems, which was full of attics, shone like silver on all sides, decorated well with white flags and flag-staff, decked with gold and golden lotuses, graced with golden mansions, hung all over with networks of tiny bells, giving forth a melodious sound on all sides, resembling a summit of Mount Meru, built by Vishvakarma, which was graced with stately palaces decked with pearls and silver, provided with pavements inlaid with crystal, furnished with excellent seats of cat's eye gems of great value and upholstered with highly valuable coverings.
उपस्थितमनाधृष्यं तद्विमानं मनोजवम् |
निवेदयित्वा रामायतस्थौ तत्र विभीषणः || ६-१२१-२९
29. nivedayitvaa = informing; raamaaya = Rama; tat vimaanam = that the said aerial car; anaadhR^iShyam = which could not be assailed; manojavam = and was swift as thought; upasthitam = had arrived; vibhiiShaNaH = Vibhishana; tasthau = stood; tatra = there.
Informing Rama that the said aerial car which could not be assailed and was as swift as though- had arrived, Vibhishana stood there.
तत्पुष्पकम् कामगमं विमान |
मुपस्थितम् भूधरसंनिकाशम् |
दृष्ट्वा तदा विस्मयमाजगाम |
रामः ससौमित्रिरुदारस्त्त्वः || ६-१२१-३०
30. udaarasattvaH = the generous minded; raamaH = Rama; sasaumitriH = along with Lakshmana; aajagaama = got; vismayam = a surprise; dR^iShTvaa = in seeing; tat = that; vimaanam = aerial car; puShpakam = called Pushpaka; bhuudhara samnikaasham = which resembled a mountain; kaamagamam = and which could travel everywhere at will; arrived on that occasion.
The generous minded Rama along with Lakshmana felt amazed to see the aforesaid aerial car, Pushpaka, which resembled a mountain and which could travel everywhere at will, arrived on that occasion.
- - - -
इत्यार्षे श्रीमद्रामायणे आदिकाव्ये युद्धकाण्डे एकविंशत्यधिकशततमः सर्गः
|Top of Page||1||2||3||4|
© October 2009, K. M. K. Murthy
What the world says about
Fastest FTPS (SSL) anywhere, Go FTP FREE Client