When Indra the lord of celestials asks Rama for a boon, Rama requested Indra to bring back to life, all the monkeys who had lost their life in the battle. Indra grants the boon and all the dead monkeys are restored to life. The celestials disperse and the whole army of monkeys enjoy their well-earned rest.
प्रतिप्रयाते काकुत्थ्से महेन्द्रः पाकशासनः |
अब्रवीत् परमप्रीतो राघवं प्राञ्जलिं स्थितम् || ६-१२०-१
1. kaakutthse pratiyaate = when Dasaratha returned; mahendraH = the Lord Indra; paaka shaasanaH = the destoryer of Paka; the demons; parama priitaH = was very much pleased; abraviit = and spoke; raaghavam = to Rama; sthitam = who stood; praaN^jalim = with joined palm.
When Dasaratha returned, the Lord Indra, the destroyer of Paka the demon, was very much pleased and spoke to Rama, who stood there with his oined palms.
अमोघं दर्शनं राम तवास्माकं नरर्षभ |
प्रीतियुक्ताः स्म तेन त्वं ब्रूहि यन्मनसेप्सितम् || ६-१२०-२
2. raama = O Rama; nararShabha = the foremost among men!; asmaakam you; darshanam = sight of us; tava = to you; amogham = should not go in vain; sma = we are; priitiyuktaaH = endowed with delight; tena = therefore; tvam = you; bruuhii = tell; yat = whatevr; iipsitam = is desized; manasaa = by your mind.
"O Rama, the foremost among men! Your sight of us, should not go in vain. Therefore, tell us whatever is desired by you."
एवमुक्तो महेन्द्रेण प्रसन्नेन महात्मना |
सुप्रसन्नमना हृष्टो वचनम् प्राह राघवः || ६-१२०-३
3. evam = thus; uktaH = spoken; mahaatmanaa = by the great-souled; mahendreNa = Indra the lord of celestials; prasannena = having been pleased; raaghavah = Rama; suprasannaatmaa = with the most placid mind; praaha = spoke; vachanam = the following words; hR^iShTaH = with rejoice:
Hearing the words of the great souled Indra the lord of celestials, after having been pleased, Rama with the most placid mind spoke the following words with rejoice:
यदि प्रीतिः समुत्पन्ना मयि ते विबुधेश्वर |
वक्ष्यामि कुरु मे सत्यम् वचनं वदतां वर || ६-१२०-४
4. vadataam vara = O the foremost among the eloquent!; vibudheshva = O Indra!; te mayi priiti samutpannaayadi = if you have affection in me; kuru = make; me vachanam = my words; vakShyaami = that I tell you; satyam = real.
"O the foremst among the eloquent! O Indra! If you have affection in me, I shall speak out my words. Make my words real."
मम हेतोः पराक्रान्ता ये गता यमसादनम् |
ते सर्वे जीवितं प्राप्य समुत्तिष्ठन्तु वानराः || ६-१२०-५
5. ye te sarve vaanaraaH = (Let) all those monkeys; yataaH yama saadanam = who reached the abode of Death; paraakraantaaH = after displaying their energy; mama hetoH = for my sake; praapya jiivitam = restore their life; samuttiShThantu = and get up.
"Let all the monkeys, who reached the abode of death, after displaying their energyfor
मत्कृते विप्रयुक्ता ये पुत्रैर्दारैश्च वानराः |
तान् प्रीतमनसः सर्वान् द्रष्टुमिच्छामि मानद || ६-१२०-६
6. maanada = O the bestower of honour!; ichchhami = I wish; draShTum = to see; taan sarvaan = all those; vaanaraaH = monkeys; ye = who; matkR^ite = for my sake; viprayuktaaH = were removed from; putraiH = their sons; daaraishcha = and wives; priita manasaH = delighted at heart.
"O the bestower of honour! I wish to see all those monkeys, who for my sake, were removed from their sons and wives, be delighted at heart."
विक्रान्ताश्चापि शूराश्च न मृत्युं गणयन्ति च |
कृतयत्ना विपन्नाश्च जीवयैनान् पुरंदर || ६-१२०-७
7. vikraantaaH cha = (They all) displayed their energies; shuuraaH = were valiant; na gaNayanti cha = and did not take; into account; mR^ityum = their death; kR^itayatnaaaH = they; made their strenuous efforts; vipannaaH cha = and died; puramdara = O Indra!; jiivaya = restore their lives; etaan = to them.
"They were all valiant, proving their energies and did not take their death into account. They made their strenuous efforts and died. O Indra! Restore their lives to them."
मत्प्रियेष्वभिरक्ताश्च न मृत्युं गणयन्ति ये |
त्वत्प्रसादात्समेयुस्ते वरमेतमहं वृणे || ६-१२०-८
8. te = those monkeys; ye = who; na gaNayanti = did not take into account; mR^ityum = their death; abhiraktaaH matpriyeShu = and who were fond of doing favour to me; te sameyuH = let them get reunited; (with their near and dear ones); tvatprasaadaat = by your grace; aham = I; vR^iNe = seek; etam = this varam = boon (of you).
"Those mokeys - who coutned death as nothing and who were fond of doing favour to me - let them get re-united with their near and dear ones by your grace. I seek this boon of you."
नीरुजो निर्व्रणांश्चैव संपन्नबलपौरुषान् |
गोलाङ्गूलांस्तथर्क्षांश्च द्रष्टुमिच्छामि मानद || ६-१२०-९
9. maanada = O bestower of honour; ichchhaami = I wish; draShTum = to see; golaaNguulaan = the monkeys; tathaa = and; R^ikShaamshcha = bears; niirujaH = free from pain; nirvraNaamshchaiva = even free from wounds; sampannabala pauruShaan = and having augmented strength and valour.
"O bestower of honour! I wish to see the monkeys and bears, free from wounds and pains, with augmented strength and valour."
अकाले चापि पुष्पाणि मूलानि च फलानि च |
नद्यश्च विमलास्तत्र तिष्ठेयुर्यत्र वानराः || ६-१२०-१०
10. yatra = whereever; vaanaraaH = the monkeys; tiShTheyuH = stay; tatra = let there be; vimalaaH nadyashcha = rivers with pure water; puShpaaNi = flowers; muulaani cha = roots; phalaanicha = and fruits; akaalecha api = even in an off-season.
"Wherever the aforesaid monkeys live, let there be rivers with crystal-clear water, flowers, roots and fruits even in an off-season."
श्रुत्वा तु वचनं तस्य राघवस्य महात्मनः |
महेन्द्रह् प्रत्युवाचेदं वचनं प्रीतिसंयुतम् || ६-१२०-११
11. shrutvaa tu = hearing vachanam = the words; tasya mahaatmanaH raaghavasya = of that great-souled Rama; mahendraH = Indra the lord of celestials; priiti samyutam = endowed with delight; pratuvaacha = again spoke; idam vachanam = the following words:
Hearing the words of that great-souled Rama, Indra the lord of celestials endowed as he was with delight, again spoke the following words:
महानयं वरस्तात यस्त्वयोक्तो रघुत्तम |
द्विर्मया नोक्तपुर्वं च तस्मादेवद्भविष्यति || ६-१२०-१२
12. taata raghuuttama = O beloved Rama!; ayam varaH = this boon; yaH uktaH = which has been sought; tvayaa = by you; mahaan = is very great (is hard to gratn); na ukta puurvam = nothing was spoken before; mayaa = by me; dviH = twice; tasmaat = therefore; etat = this; evam bhaviShyati = will come to be.
"O beloved Rama! This boon, which has been sought by you is hard to grant. No offer has, however, been revised by me in the past. Therefore this will come to be."
समुत्तिष्ठन्तु ते सर्वे हता ये युधि राक्षसैः |
ऋक्षाश्च सह गोपुच्छैर्निकृत्ताननबाहवः || ६-१२०-१३
13. te sarve = (Let) all those monkeys; R^ikShaashcha = and bears; gopuchchhaiH = along with long-tailed monkeys; ye hataaH = who have been killed; yudhi = in battle; raakShasaiH = by the demons; nikR^ittanana baahavaH = and whose heads and arms have been severed; samuttiShThantu = be active again.
"Let all those monkeys and bears along with long-tailed monkeys, who have been killed in battle, by the demons and whose heads and arms have been severed, be alive and active again."
नीरुजो निर्व्रिणाश्चव संपन्नबलपौरुषाः |
समुत्थास्यन्ति हरयः सुप्ता निद्राक्षये यथा || ६-१२०-१४
14. niirujaH = without any ill-health; nirvraNaashchaiva = without any and with boosted strength and valour; harayaH = the monkeys; samutthaasyanti = will rise again; suptaaH yathaa = as those fallen asleep (rise); nidraakShaye = at the end of their sleep.
"Without any ill-health andwounds and with boosted strength and valour, the monkeys will srise again, as those fallen asleep would do at the end of their sleep."
सुहृद्भिर्बान्धवैश्चव ज्ञातिभिः स्वजनेन च |
सर्व एव समेष्यन्ति संयुक्ताः परया मुदा || ६-१२०-१५
15. sarve eva = all of them; parayaa mudaa = with great delight; sameShyanti = will get re-united with; suhR^idbhiH = their friends; samyuktaaH = together with; baandhavaishchaiva = their relatives; jJNaatibhiH = kinsmen; svajanena = and family-members.
"All of them, full of delight, will get re-united with their friends, relatives, kinsmen and family members."
अकाले पुष्पशबलाः फलवन्तश्च पादपाः |
भविष्यन्ति महेष्वास नद्यश्च नलिलायुताः || ६-१२०-१६
16. maheShvaasa = O the wielder of a great bow!; paadapaaH = the trees; bhaviShyanti = will be; puSpashabalaaH = colourful with flowers; phalavantashcha = and fruits; akaale = even in the off-season; nadyashcha = rivers too; salilaayutaaH = will remain (constantly) with water.
"O the wielder of a great bow! The trees will look colourful with flowers and fruits even in the off-season. Rivers too will remain constantly with water."
सव्रणैः प्रथमं गात्रैरिदानीं निर्व्रणैः समैः |
ततः समुत्थिताः सर्वे सुप्त्वेव हरियूथपाः || ६-१२०-१७
बभूवुर्वानराः सर्वे किं न्वेतदिति विस्मिताः |
17. tataH = thereupon; sarve hariyuuthapaaH = all those monkey-warriors; samutthitaaH = got up; sustvaiva = as of from a sleep; samaiH gaatraiH = with even limbs; idaaniim = now; nirvraNaiH = without any wounds; prathamam savraNaiH = which were injured earlier; vaanaraaH = all the mokeys; babhuuvuH = became; vismitaaH = surprised; etat kim nu iti = saying to one another; "what (miracle) is this?"
Thereupon, all those monkey-warriors got up, as if from a sleep, with all their limbs completely healed of wounds. All the monkeys felt surprised, saying to one another "What miracle is this?"
काकुत्थ्सं परिपूर्णार्थं दृष्ट्वा सर्वे सुरोत्तमाः || ६-१२०-१८
अब्रुवन् परमप्रीताः स्तुत्वा रामं सलक्ष्मणम् |
18. dR^iShTvaa = seeing; kaakutthsam = Rama; paripuurNaartham = whose wish has been fully realised; sarve = all; surottamaaH = the foremost of celestials; parama priitaaH = with a great delight; abruvan = spoke; stutvaa = praisingly; raamam = to Rama; sa lakShmaNam = and Lakshmana.
Seeing Rama, whose wish has been fully realised, all the foremost of celestials, with a great delight, spoke praisingly to Rama and Lakshmana:
गच्छायोध्यामितो राजन् विसर्जय च वानरान् || ६-१२०-१९
मैथिलीं सान्त्वयस्वैनामनुरक्तां यशस्विनीम् |
19. raajan = O monarch!; gachchha = proceed; ayodhyaam = to Ayodhya; itaH = from here; visarjaya cha = and disband; vaanaraan = the monkeys; saautvayasva = reassure; enaam yashasviniim maithilim = this illustrious Seetha; anuraktaam = who is affectionate towards you.
"O monarch! Proceed to Ayodhya from here and disband the monkeys. Reassure this illustrious and devoted Seetha."
भ्रातरं भरतं पश्य त्वच्छोकाद्व्रतचारिणम् || ६-१२०-२०
शत्रुघ्नं च महात्मानं मातृइः सर्वाः परंतप |
अभिषेचय चात्मानम् पौरान्गत्वा प्रहर्षय || ६-१२०-२१
20-21. paramtapa = O destroyer of adversaires!; pashya = see; bharatam = Bharata; bhraataram = your brother; vratachaariNam = who is practising austerities; tvachchokaat = through frief caused by separation from you; mahaatmaanam = the great-souled; shatrughnam cha = the Shatrughna; sarvaaH maatR^iiH = and all your mothers; aatmaanam abhiShechaya = get yourself consecrated on the throne; gatvaa = by going there; praharShaya = bring rejoice; pauraan = to the citizens.
"O destroyer of adversaries! See Bharata, your brother, who is practising austerities through grief caused by separation from you, the great-souled Shatrughna and all your mohters. Get yourself consecrated on the throne. Bring rejoice to the citizens, by going there."
एवमुक्त्वा सहस्राक्षो रामं सौमित्रिणा सह |
विमानैः सूर्यसंकाशैर्ययौ हृष्टः सुरैह् सह || ६-१२०-२२
22. evam = thus; uktvaa = speaking; raamam saumitreNa saha = to Rama and Lakshmana; sahasraakShaH = Indra the thousand-eyed god of celestials; hR^iShTaH = having been pleased; yayau = returned (to heaven); suraiH saha = with other gods; vimaanaiH = in their aerial cars; suurya samkaashaiH = shining like the sun.
Thus speaking to Rama and Lakshmana, Idnra the thousand-eyed god of celestials, having beenpleased, returned to heaven with other gods in their aerial cars, shining liek the sun.
अभिवाद्य च काकुत्थ्सः सर्वांस्तांस्त्रिदशोत्तमान् |
लक्ष्मणेन सह भ्रात्रा वासमाज्ञापयत्तदा || ६-१२०-२३
23. tadaa = then; kaakutthsaH = Rama; bhraatraa lakShmaNena saha = along with Lakshmana; his brother; abhivaadya = having respectfully saluted; taan sarvaan tridashottamaan = all those celestials; aajJnaapayat = instructed; vaasam = (all the monkeys) to take rest in their respective places.
having respectfully saluted all those celestials, Rama along with Lakshmana his brother, then instructed all the monkeys to take rest in their respective places.
ततस्तु सा लक्ष्मणरानुपालिता |
महाचमूर्हृष्टजना यशस्विनी |
श्रिया ज्वलन्तीविरराज सर्वतो |
निशा प्रणीतेव हि शीतरश्मिना || ६-१२०-२४
24. tataH = thereupon; saa yashasvinii = that illustrious; mahaachamuuH = and mighty army; hR^iShTajanaa = of rejoiced troops; tu = (for its part); lakShmaNa raama paalitaa = which was protected by Lakshmana and Rama; jvalantii = and was blazing; shriyaa = wth slepndour; sarvataH = on all sides; viraraaja = shone brightly; nisheva = like the might; praNiitaa = illumined; shiitarashminaa = by the moon.
Thereupon, that illustrious and mighty army of rejoiced troops, for its part, whichw as protected by Lakshmana and Rama, and was blazing with splendour on all sides, shone brightly like the might, illumined by the moon.
- - - -
इत्यार्षे श्रीमद्रामायणे आदिकाव्ये युद्धकाण्डे विंशत्यधिकशततमः सर्गः
|Top of Page||1||2||3||4|
© September 2009, K. M. K. Murthy