Lord Shiva informs Rama that his father, Dasaratha, in an ethereal form and as a replica of his extinct personality, has arrived in an aerial car along with Indra, the lord of celestials. Shiva asks Rama and Lakshmana to pay their respects to the soul of Dasaratha and they respond in approaching him and offer their salutations. Dasaratha says he is overjoyed in seeing him, having defeated Ravana and having completed the exile for fourteen years. He asks Rama to return to Ayodhya, meet Bharata and get consecrated to the throne of Ayodhya. Dasaratha further advises Lakshmana and Seetha to continue to serve Rama, the supreme deity. Dasaratha returns to the abode of Indra, by the aerial car.
etachchhrutvaa shubhaM vaakyaM raaghaveNa subhaaShitam |
idaM shubhataraM vaakyaM vyaajahaara maheshvaraH || 6-119-1
1. shrutvaa = hearing; shubham = the auspicious; vaakyam = words; etat = thus; anubhaaShitam = spoken; raaghaveNa = by Rama; maheshvaraH = Lord Shiva; the supreme Lord; tataH = thereupon; vyaajahaara shubhataram vaakyam = delivered the following still more beautiful speech:
Hearing the auspicious words thus spoken by Rama, Lord Shiva the Supreme Lord thereupon delivered the following still more beautiful speech:
puShkaraakSha mahaabaaho mahaavakShaH parantapa |
diShTyaa kR^itamidaM karma tvayaa shastrabhR^itaaM vara || 6-119-2
2. puShkaraakSha = O lotus eyed; mahaabaaho = long armed; mahaavakShaH = broad chested; paramtapa = the annihilator of adversaries; vara = and excellent; dharma bhR^itaam = among those upholding the cause of virtue!; idam karma = this task; kR^itam = was accomplished; tvaya = by you; diShTyaa = thank heaven!.
"O lotus-eyed, long-armed, broad-chested, annihilator of enemies and excellent among those upholding the cause of virtue! Thank heaven! You accomplished this task."
diShTyaa sarvasya lokasya pravR^iddhaM daaruNaM tamaH |
apaavR^ittaM tvayaa sa~Nkhye raama raavaNajaM bhayam || 6-119-3
3. diShTyaa = fortunately; bhayam = has the fear; raavaNajam = born of Ravana; pravR^iddham = which increased; daruNam = the severe; tamaH = darkness; sarvasya lokasya = on the entire world; apaavR^itam = has been removed; tvayaa = by you; samkhye = on the battle-field; raama = O; Rama!
"Fortunately has the fear born of Ravana - which increased the severe darkness on the entire world has been removed by you, on the battle-field, O Rama!"
aashvaasya bharataM diinaM kausalyaaM cha yashasviniim |
kaikeyiiM cha sumitraaM cha dR^iShTvaa lakShmaNamaataram || 6-119-4
praapya raajyamayodhyaayaaM nandayitvaa suhR^ijjanam |
ikShvaakUNaaM kule vaMshaM sthaapayitvaa mahaabala || 6-119-5
iShTvaa turagamedhena praapya chaanuttamaM yashaH |
braahmaNebhyo dhanaM dattvaa tridivaM gantumarhasi || 6-119-6
4-6. arhasi = you are fit; gantum = to go; tridivam = to the heaven; aashvaasya = by comforting; diinam = the depressed; bharatam = Bharata; yashasviniim cha = and the illustrious; kausalyaam = Kausalya; dR^iShTyaa = and seeing; kaikeyiim = Kaikeyi; sumitraam cha = and Sumitra; lakShmaNa maataram = the mother of Lakshmana; praapya = having got; raajyam = the sovereignty; ayodhyaayaam = of Ayodhya; nandayitvaa = bringing delight; suhR^ijjanam = to your friends; sthaapayitvaa = stabilizing the back bone; ikShvaakuuNaam kule = in the race of Ikshvaku; praapya = obtaining; anuttamam = excellent; yashaH = glory; turaga medhena iShTvaa = by performing a horse-sacrifice; dattavaa = and by granting; dhanam = riches; braahmaNebhyaH = to Brahmanas; mahaabala = O Rama; endowed with a great might!
"You are fit to go to the heaven, by comforting the depressed Bharata and the illustrious Kausalya as well as seeing Kaikeyi and Sumitra, the mother of Lakshmana having got the sovereignty of Ayodhya, bringing delight to your friends, stabilizing the back-bone in the race of Ikshvaku, getting excellent glory by performing a horse-sacrifice and by granting riches to Brahmanas."
eSha raajaa vimaanasthaH pitaa dasharathastava |
kaakutstha maanuShe loke gurustava mahaayashaaH || 6-119-7
7. eShaH = this; raajaa = king; dasharathaH = Dasaratha; tava = your; pitaa = father; maanuShe loke = in this mortal world; mahaayashaaH guruH = the highly glorious and venerable person; vimaanasthaH = is seated in an aerial car; kaakutthsa = O Rama!
"This king Dasaratha, your father in this mortal world and the highly glorious as well as the venerable person, is seated in an aerial car, O Rama!"
indralokaM gataH shriimaaMstvayaa putreNa taaritaH |
lakShmaNena saha bhraatraa tvamenamabhivaadaya || 6-119-8
8. taaritaH = having been delivered; tvayaa = by you; putreNa = his (godly) son; shriimaan = the glorious king; gataH = obtained; indralokam = the abode of Indra the lord of celestials; tvam abhivaadaya = you offer your respectful salutation; enam = to him; bhraataa lakShmaNena saha = along with Lakshmana; your brother.
"Having been delivered by you, his (godly) son, the glorious king obtained the abode of Indra the lord of celestials. you offer your respectful salutation to him, along with Lakshmana, your brother."
mahaadevavachaH shrutvaa kaakutsthaH sahalakShmaNaH |
vimaanashikharasthasya praNaamamakarotpituH || 6-119-9
9. shrutvaa = hearing; mahaadeva vachah = the words of Shiva; raaghavaH = Rama; saha lakShmaNaH = along with lakshmana; bhraatraa = his brother; praNaamam = offered their salutation; pituH = to their father; vimaana shikharasthasya = seated on the topmost part of an aerial car.
Hearing the words of Shiva, Rama along with Lakshmana his brother, offered their salutation to their father, seated on the topmost part of an aerial car.
diipyamaanaM svayAM lakShmyaa virajoambaradhaariNam |
lakShmaNena saha bhraatraa dadarsha pitaraM prabhuH || 6-119-10
10. prabhuH = the lord Rama; bhraatraa lakShmaNena = along with lakshmana his brother; dadarsha = saw; pitaram = their father; diipyamaanam = who was lazing; svayaa lakShmyaa = with his own splendour; viraajo.ambara dhaariNam = and clad in brilliant garments.
The lord Rama along with Lakshmana his brother saw their father, who was blazing with his own splendour and clad in brilliant garments.
harSheNa mahataaviShTo vimaanastho mahiipatiH |
praaNaiH priyataraM dR^iShTvaa putraM dasharathastadaa || 6-119-11
aaropyaa~NkaM mahaabaahurvaraasanagataH prabhuH |
baahubhyaaM sampariShvajya tato vaakyaM samaadade || 6-119-12
11-12. atha = then; mahiimatiH = the king; dasharathaH = Dasartha; prabhuH = the lord; vimanasthaH = who was sitting in aerial car; varaasangataH = in an excellent seat; aaviShTaH = was filled; mahataa harSheNa = with excessive delight; dR^iShTvaa = to see; putram = his son (Rama); priyataram = who was dearer to him; praaNaiH = than life; aaropya = placing; (him_ aN^ke = in his lap; sampariShvaN^gaH = and embracing him; baahubhyaam = in his arms; tataH thereupon; samaadade = commened; vaakyam = his speech (as follows:
Then the king Dasaratha the lord who was sitting in the aerial car, in an excellent seat, was filled with excessive delight to see his son (Rama), who was dearer to him than life. Placing him in his lap and embracing him in his arms, he thereupon commenced his speech as follows:
na me svargo bahumataH saMmaanashcha surarShibhiH |
tvayaa raama vihiinasya satyaM pratishR^iNomi te || 6-119-13
13. raama = O Rama!; vihiinasya = separated from; tvayaa = you; svargaH = the heaven; na bahumataH = is not a liking; me = to me; sammaanashcha = (nor) the respect given to me; surarShabhaiH = by the foremost of celstials; pratishR^iNomi = I am telling; te = you; satyam = the truth.
"O Rama! Separated from you, the heaven is not a liking to me, nor the respect given to me by the foremost of celestials. I am telling you the truth."
adya tvaaM nihataamitraM dR^iShTvaa saMpuurNamaanasam |
nistiirNavanavaasaM cha priitiraasiitparaa mama| 6-119-14
14. adya = today; priitiaasiit = there is a great joy; mama = for me; dR^iShTvaa = for having seen; tvaam = you; nihitaamitram = by whom the enemies have been destroyed; sampuurNa maanasam = fully satisfied in your mind; vistiirNavana vaasam = and having fully gone through the period of your exile.
"Today, there is a great joy for me, for having seen you, fully satisfied in your mind, now that your enemies have been destroyed and you have fully gone through the period of exile."
kaikeyyA yAni choktAni vAkyAni vadatAM vara |
tava pravrAjanArthAni sthitAni hR^idaye mama || 6-119-15
15. vara = O excellent; vadataam = among the eloquent!; vaakyaani = the words; yaani = which; uktaani = were uttered; kaikeyyaa = by Kaikeyi; tava pravrajanaarthaam = with an aim to send you into exile; taani = those words; sthitaani = are (still) imprinted mama hR^idayaani = in my heart.
"O excellent among the eloquent! The words, which were uttered by Kaikeyi, with an aim to send you into exile, are still imprinted in my heart."
tvaaM tu dR^iShTvaa kushalinaM pariShvajya salakShmaNam |
adya duHkhaadvimuktoasmi niihaaraadiva bhaaskaraH || 6-119-16
16. dR^iShTvaa = seeing; tvaam = you; salakShmaNam = along with Lakshmana; kushalinam = in fine fettle; pariShvajya = and hugging you; adya = today; vimuktaH asmi = I stand completely rid; duHkhaat = of sorrow; bhaaskaraH iva = even as the sun; niihaaraadiva = (is freed from) mist.
"Seeing you in a fine fettle with Lakshmana and hugging you today, I stand completely rid of sorrow - even as the sun is freed from mist."
taaritoahaM tvayaa putra suputreNa mahaatmanaa |
aShTaavakreNa dharmaatmaa taarito braahmaNo yathaa || 6-119-17
17. mahaatmaanaa = O great-souled; putra = son!; aham = I; taaritaH = have been redeemed; tvayaa = by you; suputreNa = my worthy son!; kaholaH braahmaNo yathaa = even as Kahola; a brahmana; dharmaatmaa = who was virtuous; aShTaavakreNa = (was redeemed) by Ashtavakra.
"O great-souled son! I have been redeemed by you, my worthy son, even as Kahola a brahmana was redeemed by Ashtavakra."
idaaniiM cha vijaanaami yathaa saumya sureshvaraiH |
vadhaarthaM raavaNasyeha vihitaM puruShottamam || 6-119-18
18. saumya = O gentle one! vijaanaami = I recognize you; idaaniim cha = now; puruShottama = to be the Supreme person; yathaa vihitam = duly enjoined; iha = here; sureshvaraiH = by the rulers of gods; raavaNasya vadhaartham = for the destruction of Ravana.
"O gently one! I recognize you now to be the Supreme person, duly enjoined here by the rulers of gods, for the destruction of Ravana."
siddhaarthaa khalu kausalyaa yaa tvaaM raama gR^ihaM gatam |
vanaannivR^ittaM saMhR^iShTaa drakShyate shatrusUdana || 6-119-19
19. siddhaarthaa khalu = blessed indeed; kausalyaa = is Kausalya; yaadrakShyati tvam = who will see you; shatru suudanam = the destroyer of your enemies; nivR^ittam = returned; gatam = and got; gR^iham = home; ranaat = from the forest.
"Blessed indeed is Kausalya, who will see you, the destroyer of your enemies, returned home from the forest."
siddhaarthaaH khalu te raama naraa ye tvaaM puriiM gatam |
raajye chaivaabhiShiktaM cha drakShyanti vasudhaadhipam || 6-119-20
20. siddhaarthaaH khalu = blessed indeed; te naraaH = are those men; ye drakShyante = who will see you; gatam = returned; puriim = to the City (of Ayodhya); raajyam abhiShiktam cha = and consecrated on the throne; vasudhaadhipam = as a lord of the earth.
"Blessed indeed are those men, who will see you returned to the City of Ayodhya and consecrated on the throne as a lord of the earth."
anuraktena balinaa shuchinaa dharmachaariNaa |
ichchheyaM tvaamahaM draShTuM bharatena samaagatam || 6-119-21
21. aham = I; ichchheyam = desire; draShTum = to see; tvaam = you; samaagatam = re united; bharatena = with Bharata; anuraktena = who has affection towards you; balinaa = who is strong; shuchinaa = who is honest; dharmachaariNaa = and virtuous.
"I desire to see you, re-united with the mighty Bharata, who is affectionate towards you, honest and virtuous."
chaturdashasamaaH saumya vane niryaapitaastvayaa |
vasataa siitayaa saardhaM lakShmaNena cha dhiimataa || 6-119-22
22. saumya = O gentle one!; chaturdasha = fourteen; samaaH = years; niryaatitaaH = were spent; tvayaa = by you; vasataa = residing in the forest; dhiimataa lakShmaNena = along with the intelligent Lakshmana; siitaaya saartham = and with Seetha.
"O gentle one! You spent fourteen years, residing in the forest with Lakshmana and Seetha."
nivR^ittavanavaasoasi pratiGYaa saphalaa kR^itaa |
raavaNaM cha raNe hatvaa devaaste paritoShitaaH || 6-119-23
23. pratiJNaa = my pledge; puritaa = was implemented; tvayaa = by you; asi nivR^itta vanavaasaH = you completed the term of your exile; hatvaa = by your killing; raavaNam = Ravana; raNe = in battle; devataah cha = celestials too; paritoShitaaH = have been fully gratified.
"You completed the term of your exile. My pledge was implemented by you. The celestials too have been fully gratified, by your killing of Ravana in battle."
kR^itaM karma yashaH shlaaghyaM praaptaM te shatrusUdana |
bhraatR^ibhiH saha raajyastho diirghamaayuravaapnuhi || 6-119-24
24. shatrusuudana = O the destroyer of enemies!; shlaaghyam karma = a landable act; kR^itam = has been done; yashaH = glory; praaptam = has been earned; te = to you (by you); raajyasthaH = being in a kingly role; bhraatR^ibhiH saha = along with your brothers; avaapnuhi = may you attain; diirgham = a long; aayuH = life.
"O the destroyer of enemies! A laudable act has been done and glory has been earned by you. Getting consecrated on the throne, may you attain a long life, along with your brothers."
iti bruvaaNaM raajaanaM raamaH praa~njalirabraviit |
kuru prasaadaM dharmaGYa kaikeyyaa bharatasya cha || 6-119-25
25. raamaH = Rama; praaN^jaliH = with joined palms in salutation; abraviit = spoke; raajaanam = to dasaratha; bruvaaNam = who was speaking; iti = thus; kuru prasaadam = be gracious; kaikeyyaaH = to kaikeyi; bharatasya = and Bharata; dharmaJNa = O the knower of virtues!
To Dasaratha, who was thus speaking, Rama with joined palms in salutation, submitted (as follows): "Be gracious to Kaikeyi and Bharata, O the knower of virtues!"
saputraaM tvaaM tyajaamiiti yaduktaa kaikayii tvayaa |
sa shaapaH kaikayiiM ghoraH saputraaM na spR^ishetprabho || 6-119-26
26. yat uktaa = those words spoken; tvayaa = by you; (saying); tyajaamiiti = I disown; tvaam = you; saputraam = with your son; saH ghoraH shaapaH = May that terrific curse; na spR^ishet = not touch; kaikeyiim = Kaikeyi; saputraam = and her son; prabho = O lord!
You will remember those words spoken by you saying, I disown you, with your son (Bharata)'. May that terrific curse not touch Kaikeyi and her son, O Lord!"
tatheti mahaaraajo raamamuktvaa kR^itaa~njalim |
lakShmaNaM cha pariShvajya punarvaakyamuvaacha ha || 6-119-27
27. mahaaraajaH = Dasaratha; uktvaa = uttering; tatheti = 'May it be'; raamam = to Rama; kR^itaaN^jalim = who stood with joined palms; pariShvajya = and having embraced; lakShmaNamcha = Lakshmana; punaH = again; uvaacha ha = spoke; vaakkyam = the following words.
Saying 'May it be" to Rama who stood with joined palms embraced Lakshmana. Dasaratha again uttered the following words to Lakshmana:
raamaM shushrUShataa bhaktyaa vaidehyaa saha siitayaa |
kR^itaa mama mahaapriitiH praaptaM dharmaphalaM cha te || 6-119-28
28. shushruShataa = by doing service; bhaktyaa = with devotion; raamam = to Rama; siitayaa saha = and Seetha; vaidehyaa = the princess of Videha kingdom; mahaapriitiH = a great gratification; kR^itaa = has been brought; mama = to me; dharma phalam cha = a religious merit too; praaptam = has been obtained; te = to you.
"A great gratification has been rendered to me and reward in the form of religious merit earned by you in that you served Rama and Seetha, the princess of Videha kingdom, with devotion."
dharmaM praapsyasi dharmaGYa yashashcha vipulaM bhuvi |
raame prasanne svargaM cha mahimaanaM tathaiva cha || 6-119-29
29. raame prasanne = Rama; being pleased with you; praapsyasi = you will attain; dharmam = religious merit; vipulam = and extensive; yashashcha = glory; bhuvi = on earth; svargam cha = as also heaven; tathaa uttamam mahimaanam = and excellent power; dharmaJNa = O knower of righteousness!.
"Rama, being pleased with you, you will attain religious merit and extensive glory on earth, as also heaven and excellent power O knower of righteousness!"
raamaM shushrUSha bhadraM te sumitraanandavardhana |
raamaH sarvasya lokasya shubheShvabhirataH sadaa || 6-119-30
30. te bhadram = happiness to you; sumitraanandavardhana = O the augmentor of the joy of Sumitra; your mother!; shushruuSha = serve; raamam = Rama (well); raamaH = Rama; sadaa = forever; abirataH = is intent; sarva lokasya hitaH = on advancing the interests of the entire world.
"Happiness to you, O the augmentor of the joy of Sumitra, your mother! Serve Rama well. Rama forever is intent on advancing the interests of the entire world."
ete sendraastrayo lokaaH siddhaashcha paramarShayaH |
abhigamya mahaatmaanamarchanti puruShottamam || 6-119-31
31. ete = these; lokaaH = 9three) worlds; sendraaH = including indra; siddhaashcha = Siddhas (a class of demi-gods); paramarShayaH = and great sages; archanti = pay homage to; mahaatmaanam = the great-souled; puruShottamam = Rama as a supreme person; abhigamya = on approaching him.
"These three worlds, including Indra Siddhas (a class of demi-gods) and great sages pay homage to the great-souled Rama as a Supreme person, on approaching him."
etattaduktamavyaktamakSharaM brahmanirmitam |
devaanaaM hR^idayaM saumya guhyaM raamaH parantapaH || 6-119-32
32. saumya = O gentle one!; paramtapa = O the destroyer of adversaries!; raamaH = Rama; uktam = has been spoken of; avyaktam = as the unmanifest; akSharam = and the imperishable; brahma = Brahama; nirmitam tat etat = established by the Vedas; hR^idayam = te heart; devaanaam = of gods; guhyam = and the secret (of all gods).
"O great one! O the destroyer of adversaries! Rama has been spoken of as the unmanifest and the imperishable Brahama (the absolute), established by the Vedas, the heart of gods and the secret of all gods."
avaaptaM dharmacharaNaM yashashcha vipulaM tvayaa |
enaM shushrUShataa bhaktyaa vaidehyaa saha siitayaa || 6-119-33
33. tvayaa = by you; shushruuShataa = who served; enam vaidehyaa siitayaa saha = him along with Seetha the princess of Videha kingdom; bhaktyaa = with devotion; avaaptam = is obtained; dharmaacharaNam = the reward of the practice of all virtues; yashashcha = as also celebrity; vipulam = abundantly.
"Having served him, along with Seetha with devotion, you obtained the reward of the practice of all virtues as also celebrity, abundantly."
ityuktvaa lakShmaNaM raajaa snuShaaM baddhaaJNjaliM sthitaam |
putriityaabhaaShya madhuraM shanairenaamuvaacha ha || 6-119-34
34. iti uktvaa = thus speaking; lakShmaNane = to Lakshmana; raajaa = the king; aabhaaShya = addressing; snuShaam = his daughter-in-law; sthitaam = standing (before him); baddhaaN^jalim = with joined palms; putri iti = as "My daughter"; shanaiH = slowly; madhuram = and affectionately; uvaacha = advised; enaam = her; iti = as follows:
Thus speaking to Lakshmana, the (former) king, addressing his daughter-in-law standing before him with joined palms as "My daughter", slowly and affectionately advised her as follows:
kartavyo na tu vaidehi manyustyaagamimaM prati |
raameNa tvadvishuddhyarthaM kR^itametaddhitaiShiNaa || 6-119-35
35. na manyuH = no wrath; tu = indeed; kartavyaH = should be rendered; imam tyaagam prati = towards Rama; for having repudiated you; itam kR^itam = this has been done; raameNa = by Rama; tvaddhitaiShiNaa = desiring your welfare; vishuddhyartham = and for the purpose of showing you purification.
"No wrath indeed should be rendered by you towards Rama, for having repudiated you. This has been done by him, wishing for your welfare and in order to demostrate your purity."
suduShkaramidaM putri tava chaaritralakShaNam |
kR^itaM yatte.anyanaariiNaaM yasho hyabhibhaviShyati| 6-119-36
36. suduShkaram = this act (of entering into flames); yat = which; kR^itam = has been done; te = of you; tava chaaritra lakShaNam = and which reveals your true character; putri = my daughter; suduShkaram = is most difficult to perform; anyanaariiNaam = for other ladies; abhibhariShyati = and will overshadow; yashaH = their illustriousness.
"This act (of entering into fire) which has been done by you and which reveals your true character, my daughter, is the most difficult task to perform for other ladies and will overshadow their illustriousness."
na tvaM subhru samaadheyaa patishushrUvaNaM prati |
avashyaM tu mayaa vaachyameSha te daivataM param || 6-119-37
37. tvam = you; na samaadhyuaa kaamam = need not be instructed; bhartR^i shushruuShaNam prati = about the matter of rendering service to your husband; tu = but; vaachyam = it is to be told; avashyam = certainly; mayaa = by me; eShaH = he; te param = is your supreme; daivatam = deity.
"You need not be instructed about the matter of rendering service to your husband. But, it is to be told certainly by me. He is your supreme deity."
iti pratisamaadishya putrau siitaaM tathaa snuShaam |
indralokaM vimaanena yayau dasharatho jvalan || 6-119-38
38. iti prati samaadishya = having instructed thus; putrau = to his sons; siitaam cha = and Seetha; dasharathaH nR^ipaH = the king; Dasaratha; raaghavaH = who was born in Raghu dynasty; yayau = went; indralokam = to the abode of Indra the lord of celestials; vimaanena = by an aerial car.
Having instructed thus to his sons and Seetha, the King Dasaratha who was born in Raghu dynasty went to the abode of Indra, the lord of celestials, by an aerial car.
vimaanamaasthaaya mahaanubhaavaH |
shriyaa cha saMhR^iShTatanurnR^ipottamaH |
aamantyra putrau saha siitayaa cha |
jagaama devapravarasya lokam| 6-119-39
39. samtuShTa tanuh = with a satisfied self; nR^ipottama = Dasaratha; the excellent king; mahaanubhaavaH = of noble- mindedness; shriyaa = endowed with splendour; aamantrya = taking leave; putrau = of his sons; siitayaa saha = and Seetha; aasthaaya = and ascending; vimaanam = the aerial car; jagaama = went; devapravarasya lokam = to the abode of Indra; the chief of gods.
With a satisfied self, Dasaratha the excellent king of noble-mindedness endowed with splendour, taking leave of his sons and Seetha and mounting the aerial car, went to the abode of Indra, the chief of gods.
- - - -
ityaarShe shriimadraamaayaNe aadikaavye yuddhakaaNDe ekonaviMshatyadhikashatatamaH sargaH
|Top of Page||1||2||3||4|
© September 2009, K. M. K. Murthy