Seetha gives a taunting reply to Rama, saying that why she was not abandoned by the latter, even at the time when Hanuma came to see her in Lanka. Then, Seetha requests Lakshmana to prepare a pile of fire for her to enter. When Lakshmana prepares a pyre, Seetha prays the fire-god and enters into it, in order toprove her conjugal fidelity.
एवमुक्ता तु वैदेही परुषं लोमहर्षणम् |
राघवेण सरोषेण भृशं प्रव्यथिताभवत् || ६-११६-१
1. shrutvaa = hearing; uktaa = (the words) spoken; evam = thus; saroSheNa = with indignation; paruSham = and harshness; raaghaveNa = by Rama; roma harShaNam = which caused her hair to stand on end; vaidehii = Seetha; abhavat = became; pravyathitaa = very much perturbed.
Hearing the harsh words with indignation, spoken by Rama, which caused her hair to stand on end, Seetha became very much perturbed.
सा तदश्रुतपूर्वं हि जने महति मैथिली |
श्रुत्वा भर्तृवचो रूक्षं लज्जया व्रीडिताभवत् || ६-११६-२
2. shrutvaa = hearing; ghoram = the terrific; vachaH = words; bhartuH = of her husband; ashruta puurvam = which were never heard by her before; mahati jane = amidst a large gathering of people; saa maithilii = that Seetha; tadaa = at that time; abhavat = became; avanataa = downcast; lajjayaa = with shame.
Hearing the terrific words of her husband, which were never actually heard by her before, amidst a large gathering of people, Seetha stood bent low with shame.
प्रविशन्तीव गात्राणि स्वान्येव जनकात्मजा |
वाक्षल्यैस्तैः सशल्येव भृशमश्रूण्यवर्तयत् || ६-११६-३
3. svaani gaatraaNi iva = as though her own limbs; pravishanti = were pierced; taiH vaaksharaiH = by those arrow-like words; sashalyena = with pointed splinters; saa janakaatmaaa = that Seetha; aavartayat = shed; ashruuNi = tears; bhR^isham = profusely.
As though her own limbs were pierced by those words, which were arrow-like with pointed splinters, Seetha shed profuse tears.
ततो बाष्पपरिक्लिष्टं प्रमार्जन्ती स्वमाननम् |
शनैर्गद्गदया वाचा भर्तारमिदमब्रवीत् || ६-११६-४
4. tataH = then; pramarjantii = wiping clean; swam aananam = her face; baaShpa pariklinnam = which was bathed in tears; abraviit = (she) spot; dam = the following words; sharaiH = slowly; bhartaaram = to her husband; gadgadayaa vaachaa = in a stammering voice.
Then, wiping clean her face, which was bathed in tears, she spoke the following words slowly, in a stammering voice to her husband.
किं मामसदृशं वाक्यमीदृशं श्रोत्रदारुणम् |
रूक्षं श्रावयसे वीर प्राकृतः प्राकृताम् इव || ६-११६-५
5. viira = O valiant one!; kim = why; shraarayase = are you causing me to hear; iidR^isham = such; ruukSham vaakyam = harsh words; shrotra daaruNam = which are violent to hear; maam = for me; praakR^itaH iva = like a common man; praakR^itaam = (speaking) to a common woman?
"O valiant Rama! Why are you speaking such harsh words, which are violent to hear for me, like a common man speaking to a common woman?"
न तथास्मि महाबाहो यथा त्वमवगच्छसि |
प्रत्ययं गच्छ मे स्वेन चारित्रेणैव ते शपे || ६-११६-६
6. mahaabaaho = O the long-armed one!; na asmi = I am not; yathaa tathaa = the one in the way; avagachchhasi = you understand; maam = me; gachha = pick up; pratyayam = a trust; me = in me; shape = I swear; te = to you; svena chaaritreNa = by my own character.
"O the long-armed one! I am not the one in the way you understand me. Have a faith in me. I swear to you by my own character."
पृथक्स्त्रीणां प्रचारेण जातिं त्वं परिशङ्कसे |
परित्यजेमां शङ्कां तु यदि तेऽहं परीक्षिता || ६-११६-७
7. prachaareNa = by the conduct; pR^ithak striiNaam = of vulgar women; tvam = you; parishaN^kase = distrust; jaatim = the entire race of women; parityaja = give up; enaam = this; shaN^kaam = doubt; yadi aham = if; I; pariikShitaa = have been actually tested (and found trustworthy); te = by you.
"By the conduct of vulgar woman you distrust the entire race of women. Give up this doubt, if I have been actually tested (and found trustworthy) by you."
यद्यहं गात्रसंस्पर्शं गतास्मि विवशा प्रभो |
कामकारो न मे तत्र दैवं तत्रापराध्यति || ६-११६-८
8. prabho = O lord!; na it was not; me kaamakaaraH = my willfulness; iti yat = that; gataa asmi = when I came; gaatra samsparsham = into contact; (with the person of Ravana); aham vivashaa = I was helpless; daivam = my (adverse) fate; aparaadhyati = was to blame; tatra = on that score.
"O lord! It was not my willfulness, when I came into contact with the person of Ravana. I was helpless. My adverse fate was to blame on that score."
मदधीनं तु यत्तन्मे हृदयं त्वयि वर्तते |
पराधीनेषु गात्रेषु किं करिष्याम्यनीश्वरा || ६-११६-९
9. me hR^idayam tu = my heart on its part; yat tat = which was; madadhiinam = subservient to me; vartate = was abiding; tvayi = in you; kim = what; kariShyaami = could I do; aniishvarii = helpless as I was; gaatreShu = aniishvarii = helpless as I was; gaatreShu = with regard to my limbs; paraadhiineShu = with regard to my limbs; paraadhiineShu = which had fallen under the sway of another?
"My heart, which was subservient to me, was abiding in you. What could I do, helpless as I was, with regard to my limbs which had fallen under the sway of another?"
सहसंवृद्धभावाच्च संसर्गेण च मानद |
यद्यहं ते न विज्ञाता हता तेनास्मि शाश्वतम् || ६-११६-१०
10. maanada = O bestower of honour; aham na vijJNataa yadi te = If I could not be fully known to you; sahasamvR^iddha bhaavena samsargeNa cha = in spite of our love having simultaneously grown and despite of our having lived together; hataa asmi = I am ruined; shaashvatam = permanently; tena = by such ignorance.
"O bestower of honour! If I could not be fully known to you, in spite of our love having simultaneously grown and despite of our having lived together, I am ruined permanently by such ignorance."
प्रेषितस्ते यदा वीरो हनूमानवलोककः |
लङ्कास्थाहं त्वया वीर किं तदा न विसर्जिता || ६-११६-११
11. rajaa = O king!; mahaaviiraH = the great hero; hanumaan = Hanuma; preShitaH = was sent; te = by you; avalokakaH = as your search-agent; kim = why; aham = I; laN^kaasthaa = who was still in Lankaa; na visarjitaa = was not abandoned; tadaa = then itself?
"O king! Hanuma, the great hero, was sent by you as your search-agent. Why I, who was still in Lanka, was not abandoned then itself?"
प्रत्यक्षं वानरेन्द्रस्य त्वद्वाक्यसमनन्तरम् |
त्वया सन्त्यक्तया वीर त्यक्तं स्याज्जीवितं मया || ६-११६-१२
12. viira = O hero! jiivitam = life; syaat tyaktam = would have been given up; mayaa = by me; samtyaktayaa = when deserted; tvayaa = by you; tadvaakya samanantaram = immediately on hearing the message (conveying your desertion); asya vaanarasya pratyakSham = before the eyes of this monkey.
"O hero! Life would have been given up by me, when deserted by you; immediately on hearing the message (conveying your desertion) before the eyes of the monkey."
न वृथा ते श्रमोऽयं स्यात्संशये न्यस्य जीवितम् |
सुहृज्जनपरिक्लेशो न चायं निष्फलस्तव || ६-११६-१३
13. ayam vR^ithaa shramaH = this wasteful endeavour; (in the form of crossing over to Lanka and waging war against the mighty Ravana); nyasya = keeping; jiivitam = your life; samshaye = in jeopardy; nasyaat = would not have been there; na cha = nor; ayam tava suhR^ijjana viphalaH parikleshaH = would have your friends have been put to such fruitless hardship.
"This wasteful endeavour (in the form of crossing over to Lanka and waging war against the mighty Ravana, keeping your life in jeopardy), would not have been there, nor would have your friends been put to such fruitless hardship."
त्वया तु नरशार्दूल क्रोधमेवानुवर्तता |
लघुनेव मनुष्येण स्त्रीत्वमेव पुरस्कृतम् || ६-११६-१४
14. nR^ipa shaarduula = O excellent king; tvayaa tu = you; however; puraskR^itam = gave priority; striitvameva = to woman liness; laghunaa manuShyeNa iva = like a feeble man; anuvartataa = conforming; roShameva = to just an emotion of anger.
"O excellent king! You, however, like a feeble man, gave priority to womanliness, conforming yourself to just an emotion of anger."
अपदेशेन जनकान्नोत्पत्तिर्वसुधातलात् |
मम वृत्तं च वृत्तज्ञ बहु ते न पुरस्कृतम् || ६-११६-१५
15. vR^ittajJNaH = O knower of virtuous conduct!; utpattiH = my birth; janakaat = was from Janaka; apadesheva = in disguise; vasudhaatalaat = but was actually from the earth; mama = my; vR^ittam cha = sacred birth; bahu = of a high degree; na puraskR^itam = was not honoured; te = by you.
"O knower of virtuous conduct! My birth was from Janaka in disguise; but was actually from the earth. My sacred birth of such a high degree, was not honoured by you."
न प्रमाणीकृतः पाणिर्बाल्ये बालेन पीडितः |
मम भक्तिश्च शीलं च सर्वं ते पृष्ठतः कृतम् || ६-११६-१६
16. mama paaNiH = my hand; nipiiDitaH = taken (as a bride by you); baalye = in our childhood; na pramaaNiikR^itaH = was not recognized; mama = my; bhaktishcha = devotion; shiilam cha = my chastity; sarvam = all; pR^iShThataH kR^itam = have been ignored; te = by you.
"My hand taken (by you as a bride) in our childhood was not duly recognized by you. My devotion, my chastity and all have been ignored by you."
इति ब्रुवन्ती रुदती बाष्पगद्गदभाषिणी |
उवाच लक्ष्मणं सीता दीनं ध्यानपरायणम् || ६-११६-१७
17. siitaa = Seetha; iti = thus; bruvantii = speaking; rudatii = weaping; baaShpa gadgadabhaaShiNii = and stammering with tears; uvaacha = said; lakShmaNam = to Lakshmana; diinam = who was sad; dhyaana paraayaNam = and engaged in thoughtfulness.
Seetha, thus speaking, weeping and stammering with tears, said to Lakshmana, who was sad and engaged in thoughtfulness (as follows):
चितां मे कुरु सौमित्रे व्यसनस्यास्य भेषजम् |
मिथ्यापवादोपहता नाहं जीवितुमुत्सहे || ६-११६-१८
18. saumitre = O Lakshmana!; kuru = create; chitaam = a pile of fire; me = for me; bheShajam = which is a remedy; asya vyasanasya = for this trouble; aham mithyaapavaadopahataa = smitten as I am with false blames; na utsahe = (I) no longer wish; jiivitum = to survive.
"O Lakshmana! Create a pile of fire, for me, which is a remedy for this disaster. I no longer wish to survive, smitten as am with false blames."
अप्रीतेन गुणैर्भर्त्रा त्यक्ता या जनसंसदि |
या क्षमा मे गतिर्गन्तुं प्रवेक्ष्ये हव्यवाहनम् || ६-११६-१९
19. pravekShyaami = I will enter; havyavaahanam = a fire; gantum = to obtain; gatiH = a course; yaa kShamaa = which is appropriate; me = for me; tyaktaayaH = who has been jana samsadi = amidst an assembly of men; bhartraa = by me husband;apriitena = who was not satisfied; guNaiH = with my traits.
"I will enter a fire, to obtain the only course appropriate for me, who has been abandoned amidst an assembly of men, by my husband who was not satisfied with my traits."
एवं ब्रुवाणा रुदती बाष्पगद्गदभाषिणी |
अब्रवील्लक्ष्मणं सीता दीनं ध्यानपरं स्थितम् || ६-११६-२०
20. evam = thus; uktaH = spoken; vaidehyaa = by Seetha; lakShmaNaH = Lakshmana; para viirahaa = the destroyer of enemy-warriors; aapannaH amarSvaa vasham = who gave way to wrath; samudaikShata = looked; raaghavam = towards Rama.
Hearing the words of Seetha, Lakshmana, the destroyer of enemy warriors, giving way to wrath, looked towards Rama.
स विज्ञाय मनश्छन्दं रामस्याकारसूचितम् |
चितां चकार सौमित्रिर्मते रामस्य वीर्यवान् || ६-११६-२१
21. vijJNaaya = understanding; manashchandam = the inclination of the mind; raamasya = of Rama; aakaara suuchitam = hinted by the expression in his face; saH viiryavaan = that valiant; saumitriH = Lakshmana; chakaara = prepared; chitaam = a pyre; raamasya mte = in deference to the wishes of Rama's.
Understanding the inclination of the mind of Rama, hinted by the expression in his face, that valiant Lakshmana prepared a pyre, in deference to the wishes of Rama.
न हि रामं तदा कश्चित्कालान्तकयमोपमम् |
अनुनेतुमथो वक्तुं द्रष्टुं वा प्यशकत्सुहृत् || ६-११६-२२
22. na kashchit suhR^it = no one near and dear; ashakat hi = was indeed able; anuvetum = to cajole; tadaa = on that occasion; atho = or; vaktum = to speak; draShTum va api = or even to look upon; raamam = Rama; kaalaantakayamopamam = who appeared like Yama the lord of death at the time of dissolution of the world.
No one near and dear was indeed able to cajole on that occasion or to speak or even to look upon Rama, who appeared like Yama the lord of death at the time of dissolution of the world.
अधोमुखं ततो रामं शनैः कृत्वा प्रदक्षिणम् |
उपासर्पत वैदेही दीप्यमानं हुताशनम् || ६-११६-२३
23. tataH = thereupon; vaidehii = Seetha; pradakShiNam kR^itvaa = doing circumambulation; raamam = to Rama; sthitam athomukham = standing with his head bent low Rama; upaavartata = went towards; diiptamaanam = the blazing; hutaashanam = fire.
Thereupon, Seetha, after doing circumambulation to Rama, who was standing with his head bent low, proceeded towards the blazing fire.
प्रणम्य देवताभ्यश्च ब्राह्मणेभ्यश्च मैथिली |
बद्धाञ्जलिपुटा चेदमुवाचाग्निसमीपतः || ६-११६-२४
24. praNamya = having offered salutation; daivebhyashcha = to gods; braahmaNebhyashcha = and Brahmins; baddhaaN^jalipuTaa = as also having joined her palms; agni samiipataH = in the vicinity of the fire; maithilii = Seetha; uvaacha = spoke; idam = the following words:
Having offered salutation to gods and brahmins as also having joined her palms in the vicinity of the fire, Seetha spoke the following words:
यथा मे हृदयं नित्यं नापसर्पति राघवात् |
तथा लोकस्य साक्षी मां सर्वतः पातु पावकः || ६-११६-२५
25. yathaa = as; me = my; hR^idayam = heart; naapasarpati nityam = never moves off; raaghavaat = from Rama; tathaa = so; paavakaH = let the fire-god; lokasya saakShii = the witness of the world; paatu = protect; maam = me; sarvataH = from all sides.
"As my heart never moves off from Rama, so let the fire-god, the witness of the world, protect me from all sides."
यथा मां शुद्धचरितां दुष्टां जानाति राघवः |
तथा लोकस्य साक्षी मां सर्वतः पातु पावकः || ६-११६-२६
26. yathaa = as; raaghavaH; Rama; jaanaati = apprehends; maam = me; shuddha charitaam = though of unimpeachable conduct; duShTaam = to be spoilt; paavakaH = let the fire-god; lokasya saakShii = the witness of the world; paatu = protect; maam = me; sarvataH = from all sides.
"As Rama apprehends me, though of unimpeachable conduct, to be spoilt, let the fire-god the witness of the world protect me from all sides."
कर्मणा मनसा वाचा यथा नातिचराम्यहम् |
राघवं सर्वधर्मज्ञं तथा मां पातु पावकः || ६-११६-२७
27. yathaa = as; aham = I; naaticharaami = have never been unfaithful; karmaNaa = in act; manasaa = thought; vaachaa = and speech; raaghavam = to Rama; sarvadharmajJNam = who knows all the virtues; tathaa = so; paavakaH = let the fire-god; paatu = protect; maam = me.
"As I have never been unfaithful in act, thought and speech to Rama, who knows all the virtues, so let the fire-god protect me."
आदित्योभवान् वायुर्दिशश्चन्द्रस्तथैव च |
अहश्चापि तथा सन्ध्ये रात्रिश्च पृथिवी तथा || ६-११६-२८
यथान्येऽपि विजानन्ति तथा चारित्रसंयुताम् |
28. yathaa = since; bhagavaan = the adorable; aadityaH = sun-god; vaayuH = wind-god; dishaH = the four quarters; tathaiva cha = and even so; chandraH = the moon-god; aashchaapi = as also the deity presiding over the day-time; tathaa = and; samdhye = the twilights; raatrishcha = and the night; tathaa = and; pR^ithivii = the earth; anyo.api = and even others; vijaananti = know (me); chaaritra samyutaam = to be endowed with good conduct; tathaa = so; (let the fire-god protect me).
"Since the adorable sun-god, wind-god, the four quarters and even so the moon-god, as also the deity presiding over the day-time and the twilights and the night and the earth and even others know me to be endowed with good conduct, so let the fire-god protect me."
एवमुक्त्वा तु वैदेही परिक्रम्य हुताशनम् || ६-११६-२९
विवेश ज्वलनं दीप्तं निःसङ्गेनान्तरात्मना |
29. evam = thus; uktvaa = speaking; vaidehii = Seetha; parikramya = walking around; hutaashanam = the fire-god; antaraatmanaa = mind; niH shaN^kena = free from hesitation; vivesha = entered; diiptam jvalanam = the blazing fire.
Thus speaking, Seetha walking around the fire-god, with her mind free from hesitation, entered the blazing fire.
जनः स सुमहांस्तत्र बालवृद्धसमाकुलः || ६-११६-३०
ददर्श मैथिलीं तत्र प्रविशन्तीं हुताशनम् |
30. sumahaan janashcha = a large gathering of men; baala vR^iddha samaakulaH = including children and elders; dadarsha = saw; diiptaam = the shining; maithiliim = Seetha; pravishantiim = having entered; hutaashanam = the fire; tatra = there.
A large gathering of men including children and elders, saw the shining Seetha having entered the fire there.
सा तप्तनवहेमाभा तप्तकाञ्चनभूषणा || ६-११६-३१
पपात ज्वलनं दीप्तं सर्वलोकस्य संनिधौ |
31. saa = that Seetha; taptanava hemaabhaa = having a shining of fresh refined gold; tapta kaaN^chana bhuuShaNaa = and decked with ornaments of refined gold; papaata = plunged; diiptam jvalnnam = into the blazing fire; sarvalopasya samnidhau = in the presence of all people.
That Seetha, with the shining of fresh refined gold and decked with ornaments of refined gold, plunged into the blazing fire, in the presence of all people.
ददृशुस्तां विशालाक्षीं पतन्तीं हव्यवाहनम् || ६-११६-३२
सीतां सर्वाणि रूपाणि रुक्मवेदिनिभां तदा |
32. sarvaaNi = all; ruupaaNi = the living beings; dadR^ishuH = saw; tadaa = then; taam vishaalaakShiim siitaam = that wide-eyed Seetha; rukavedi nibhaam = and looking like a sacrificial altar made of gold; patantiim = who was plunging; havya vaahanam = into the fire.
All the living beings saw then that wide-eyed Seetha, who looked like a golden altar, plunging into the fire.
ददृशुस्तां महाभागां प्रविशन्तीं हुताशनम् || ६-११६-३३
सीतां कृत्स्नास्त्रयो लोकाः पुण्यामाज्याहुतीमिव |
33. kR^itsnaaH = the entire; trayaH = three; lokaaH = kinds of people (viz. Sages; gods and Gandharvas); dadR^ishuH = saw; taam mahaabhaagaam siitaam = that illustrious Seetha; pravishantiim = entering; hutaashanam = the fire; puNyaam aajyaahutiimiva = as a sacred oblation of clarified butter.
The sages, gods, and the Gandharvas saw that illustrious Seetha entering deep into the fire as a sacred oblation of clarified butter.
प्रचुक्रुशुः स्त्रियः सर्वास्तां दृष्ट्वा हव्यवाहने || ६-११६-३४
पतन्तीं संस्कृतां मन्रैर्वसोर्धारामिवाध्वरे |
34. sarvaaH = all; striyaH = the women; prachukrushuH = screamed; dR^iShTvaa = on seeing; taam = her; patantiim = rushing; havyavaahane = into the fire; dharaamiva = like a gush; samskR^itaam vasoH = of clarified butter; adhvare = plunging into sacrificial fire; mantraiH = duly consecrated with Vedic hymns.
All the women (who were present there) screamed on seeing her, rushing into the fire, like a gush of clarified butter plunging into the sacrificial fire, duly consecrated by Vedic hymns.
ददृशुस्तां त्रयो लोका देवगन्धर्वदाननाः || ६-११६-३५
शप्तां पतन्तीं निरये त्रिदिवाद्देवतामिव |
35. trayaH = the three; lokaaH = worlds; devagandharva daanavaaH = the gods; Gandharvas and demons; dadR^ishuH = beheld; taam = her; devataami va = as a goddess; patantiim = rushing; shaptaam niraye = into a cursed hell; tridivaat = from heaven.
The denizens of the entire three worlds including the gods, Gandharvas and demons, beheld her falling into the fire, like a goddess, subjected to a curse, falling from heaven to hell.
तस्यामग्निं विशन्त्यां तु हाहेति विपुलः स्वनः || ६-११६-३६
रक्षसां वानराणां च सम्बभूवाद्भुतोपमः |
36. tasyaam = while she; vishantyaam = was entering deeply; agnim = into the fire; vipulaH svanaH = a loud sound; adbhutopamaH = which appeared strange; haa haa iti = uttering 'Alas; Alas'; sambabhuuva = rose; rakShasaam vaanaraaNaam cha = from both the demons and the monkeys alike.
While she was entering deeply into the fire, a loud sound, which appeared strange, uttering 'Alas, Alas' rose both from the demons and the monkeys alike.
- - - -
इत्यार्षे श्रीमद्रामायणे आदिकाव्ये युद्धकाण्डे षोडशाधिकशततमः सर्गः
|Top of Page||1||2||3||4|
© August 2009, K. M. K. Murthy