Rama informs Seetha that the dishonour meted out to him and the wrong done to her by Ravana have been wiped off, by his victory over the enemy with the assistance of Hanuma, Sugreeva and Vibhishana. However, regarding with suspicion the character of Seetha, Rama disowns her and asks her to seek shelter elsewhere.
तां तु पार्श्वे स्थितां प्रह्वां रामः संप्रेक्ष्ये मैथिलीम् |
हृदयान्तर्गतं भावं व्याहर्तुमुपचक्रमे || ६-११५-१
1. samprekShya = seeing; taam maithiliim = that Seetha; sthitaam = who stood; paarshve = at his vicinity; prahvaam = bowing low; raamaH = Rama; upachakrame = began; vyaahartum = to tell; bhaavam = his feeling; hR^idayaantargatam = hidden in his heart (as follows).
Seeing that Seetha, who stood at his vicinity bowing low, Rama began to tell his feeling hidden in his heart (as follows):
एषासि निर्जिता भद्रे शत्रुं जित्वा रणाजिरे |
पौरुषाद्यदनुष्ठेयं मयैतदुपपादितम् || ६-११५-२
2. bhadre = my dear lady!; eShaa = you; asi = are; nirjitaa = won back (by me); jitvaa = after conquering; shatrum = the enemy; raNaajire = in the battle-field; tat yat = that which; anuShTheyam = is to be done; pauruShaat = through human effort; upapaaditam = has been accomplished; mayaa = by me.
"You are won back by me, after conquering the enemy in the battle-field, my dear lady! That which is to be done through human effort, has been accomplished by me."
गतोऽस्म्यन्तममर्षस्य धर्षणा संप्रमार्जिता |
अवमानश्च शत्रश्च युगपन्निहतौ मया || ६-११५-३
3. gataH asmi = I have come to; antam = the end; amarShasya = of my indignation; dharShaNaa = and my outrage; sampramaarjitaa = has been completely requited; shatrushcha = and the enemy; anumaanashcha = as well as the contempt; nihatau = have been wiped out; yugavat = all at once; mayaa = by me.
"I have come to the end of my indignation and my outrage has been completely requited as also the contempt against the enemy have been wiped out, all at once, by me."
अद्य मे पौरुषं दृष्टमद्य मे सफलः श्रमः |
अद्य तीर्णप्रतिज्ञोऽहं प्रभवाम्यद्य चात्मनः || ६-११५-४
4. adya = now; me = my; pauruSham = manly strength; dR^iShTam = has been seen (by all); adya = today; me = my; shramaH = toil; saphalaH = has borne fruit; adya = now; aham = I; tiirNa pratijJNaH = have fulfilled my promise; adya = today; prabhavaami = I am the master; aatmanaH = of myself.
"Now, my manly strength has been seen by all. Today, my toil has borne fruit. Now, I have fulfilled my promise. Today, I am the master of myself."
या त्वं विरहिता नीता चलचित्तेन रक्षसा |
दैवसंपादितो दोषो मानुषेण मया जितः || ६-११५-५
5. yaa tvam = you; who; virahitaa = became deserted from me; niitaa = was taken away; chalachittena rakShasaa = by a ficle-minded demon; doShaH = the wrong; daivasampaaditaH = brought about by the destiny jitaH = has been corrected; mayaa = by me; maanuSheNa = a human being.
"The wrong done to you, when you were deserted from me, in that you were taken away by a fickle-minded demon, which was ordained by the destiny, has been corrected by me as a human being."
संप्राप्तमवमानं यस्तेजसा न प्रमार्जति |
कस्तस्य पौरुषेणार्थो महताप्यल्पचेतसः || ६-११५-६
6. kaH arthaH = what is the use; pauruSheNa = of a prowess; tasya mahataapi alpachetasH = of a weak-minded man; even if it is mighty; yaH na pramaarjati = who does not wipe out; sampraaptam avamaanam = the insult fallen to his lot; tejasaa = by means of his energy?
"What is the use of a prowess, however great, of that weak-minded man who does not wipe out, by his energy, the insult fallen to his lot?"
लङ्घुनं समुद्रस्य लङ्कायाश्चापि मर्दनम् |
सफलं तस्य च श्लाघ्यमद्य कर्म हनूमतः || ६-११५-७
7. shlaaghya = the praise-worthy; karma = act; tasya hanuumataH = of that Hanuma; laN^ghanam = (namely) the crossing; samudrasya = of the ocean; mardanam cha = and the destroying; laN^kaayaaH = of Lanka; the destroying; laNKaayaaH = of Lanka; adya = today; saphalam = has borne fruit.
"The praise-worthy act of Hanuma in the form of crossing of the ocean and the destroying of Lanka, has borne fruit today."
युद्धे विक्रमतश्चैव हितं मन्त्रयतस्तथा |
सुग्रीवस्य ससैन्यस्य सफलोऽद्य परिश्रमः || ६-११५-८
8. parishramaH = the endeavour; sugriivasya = of Sugreeva; sa sainyashcha = together with his army; vikramataH = for his attack; yuddhe = in the battle; tathaa = and; mantrayataH = his counsel; hitam = of a good advice; saphalah = is fruitful; adya = today.
"The endeavour of Sugreeva, who exhibited his prowess on the battle-field with his army and tendered a good advice, is fruitful today."
विभीषणस्य च तथा सफलोऽद्य परिश्रमः |
विगुणं भ्रातरं त्वक्त्वा यो मां स्वयमुपस्थितः || ६-११५-९
9. tathaa = furthermore; parishramashcha = the exertion; vibhiiShaNashcha = of Vibhishana; yaH = who; tyaktvaa = after abandoning; bhraataram = his brother; viguNam = who was void of good qualities; svayam = andpersonall; upasthitaH = reached; maam = me; saphalaH = is fruitful; adya = today.
"Furthermore, the exertion of Vibhishana, who after deserting his brother who was void of good qualities, sought my presence, is fruitful today.
इत्येवं वदतः श्रुत्वा सीता रामस्य तद्वचः |
मृगीवोत्फुल्लनयना बभूवाश्रुपरिप्लुता || ६-११५-१०
10. shrutvaa = hearing; tat = those; vachaH = words; vadataH = spoken; tiyevam = thus; raamasya = by Rama; siitaa = Seetha; utphullanayanaa = her eyes wide open; mR^igiiva = like those of a female-deer; babhuuva was; ashrupariplutaa = filled with tears.
Hearing those words spoken thus by Rama, Seetha with her eyes wide open like those of a female-deer, was bathed in tears.
पश्यतस्तां तु रामस्य समीपे हृदयप्रियाम् |
जनवादभयाद्राज्ञो बभूव हृदयं द्विधा || ६-११५-११
11. hR^idayam = the heart; raajJNaH raamasya = of King Rama; pashyataH = as he saw; taam = Seetha (hR^idaya priyaam = the beloved of his heart); samiipe = near him; babhuuva dvidha = was torn; janavaada bhayaat = for fear of the talk of the public.
The heart of King Rama, as he saw Seetha, (the beloved of his heart) near him, was torn for fear of public scandal.
सीतामुत्पलपत्राक्षीं नीलकुञ्चितमूर्धजाम् |
अवदद्वै वरारोहां मध्ये वानररक्षसाम् || ६-११५-१२
12. madhye = in the midst; vaanara raakShasaam = of monkeys and demons; avadat vai = Rama spoke; siitaam = to Seetha; utpala patraakShiim = whose eyes resembled the petals of a lotus; niila kuN^jitu muurdhajaam = hair; dark in hue as also curled; vanaarohaam = and hips; excellent.
In the midst of monkeys and demons, Rama spoke (as follows) to Seetha, whose eyes resembled the petals of a lotus, who wore dark curly hair and was endowed with fine hips.
यत्कर्तव्यं मनुष्येण धर्षणां प्रतिमार्जता |
तत्कृतं रावणं हत्वा मयेदं मानकाङ्क्क्षिणा || ६-११५-१३
13. mayaa = by me; maanakaaN^kShiNaa = wanting for an honour; tat idam = this particular act; yat = which; kartavyam = ought to be done; manuShyeNa = by a man; kR^itam = has been done; hatvaa = in killing; raavaNam = Ravana; pratimaarjitaa = and thus wiping away; dharShaNaam = the insult.
"I, wanting for an honour, have done this particular act, which ought to be done by a man, in killing Ravana and thus wiping away the insult meted out to me."
निर्जिता जीवलोकस्य तपसा भावितात्मना |
अगस्त्येन दुराधर्षा मुनिना दक्षिणेव दिक् || ६-११५-१४
14. nirjitaa = (you have been) won by me; bhaavitaatmanaa = whose mind stands purified; tapasaa = by asceticism; dakShiNaa dik iva = as the southern quarter; duraadharShaa = which was difficult to be approached; jiivalokasya = by the world of mortals; (was conquered by) agastyena = by the Sage Agastya.
"You have been won by me, whose mind stands purified by asceticism as the southern quarter, which was difficult to be approached by the world of mortals, was conquered by the Sage Agastya."
विदितश्चास्तु भद्रं ते योऽयं रणपरिश्रमः |
सुतीर्णः सुहृदां वीर्यान्न त्वदर्थं मया कृतः || ६-११५-१५
रक्षता तु मया वृत्तमपवादम् च सर्वतः |
प्रख्यातस्यात्मवंशस्य न्यङ्गं च परिमार्जता || ६-११५-१६
15-16. viditaH astu = let it be known (to you); ayam yuddhaparishramaH = that this endeavour in the shape of war; sutiirNaH = which has been successfully carried through; viiryaat = due to the strength; suhR^idaam = of my friends; na kR^itaH = was not undertakne; tvadartham = for your sake; te bhadram astu = let there be happiness to you!; mayaa = (this was done) by me; rakShataa = in order to keep up; vR^itam = my good conduct; parimaarjitaa = and wipe off; apavaadam cha = the evil-speaking; sarvataH = from all sides; nyaNgam = as well as the insinuation; prakhyaatasya aatmavamshasya = on my own illustrious dynasty.
"Let it be known to you that this endeavor in the shape of war, which has been successful carried through, due to the strength of my friends was not undertaken for your sake. Let there be prosperity to you! This was done by me in order to keep up my good conduct and to wipe off the evil-speaking from all sides as well as the insinuation on my own illustrious dynasty."
प्राप्तचारित्रसंदेह मम प्रतिमुखे स्थिता |
दीपो नेत्रातुरस्येव प्रतिकूलासि मे दृढम् || ६-११५-१७
17. praapta chaaritra sandehaa = (You) with a suspicion arisen on your character; sthitaa = standing; pratimukhe = in front of; mama = me; dR^iDham pratikuulaa api = are extremely disagreeable; me = to me; diipaH iva = even as a light; netraaturasya = to one; who is suffering from a poor eye-sight.
"You, with a suspicion arisen on your character, standing in front of me, are extremely disagreeable to me, even as a light to one, who is suffering from a poor eye-sight."
तद्गच्छ त्वानुजानेऽद्य यथेष्टं जनकात्मजे |
एता दश दिशो भद्रे कार्यमस्ति न मे त्वया || ६-११५-१८
18. janakaatmaje = O Seetha!; tat = that is why; anujaane = I am permitting; tvaa = you; adya = now; gachchha = go; yatheShTam = wherever you like; tetaaH dasha dishaH = to any of these ten directions; naasti = there is no; kaaryam = work to be done; me = to me; tvayaa = by you; bhadre = my dear lady!
"O Seetha! That is why, I am permitting you now. Go wherever you like. All these ten directions are open to you, my dear lady! There is no work to be done to me, by you."
कः पुमांस्तु कुले जातह् स्त्रियं परगृहोषिताम् |
तेजस्वी पुनरादद्यात् सुहृल्लेख्येन चेतसा || ६-११५-१९
19. kaH tejasvii pumaan = which noble man; jaataH = born; kule = in an illustrious race; aadadyaat = will take; punaH = back; striyam = a woman; paragR^ihoShitaam = who lived in another's abode; suhR^illekhyena chetasaa = with an eager mind?
"Which noble man, born in an illustrious race, will take back a woman who lived in another's abode, with an eager mind?"
रावणाङ्कपरिक्लिष्टां दृष्टां दुष्टेन चक्षुषा |
कथं त्वां पुनरादद्यां कुलं व्यपदिशन् महत् || ६-११५-२०
20. vyapadishan = while mentioning about; mahat kulam = my great lineage; katham = how; aadadyaam = can I accept; punaH = again; tvaam = you; raavaNaaN^ka parikliShTaan = who were harassed in Ravana's lap while being borne away by him) dR^iShTaam = and who were seen (by him) duShTena chakShuShaa = with evil looks?
"While mentioning greatly about my lineage, how can I accept again, you who were harassed in Ravana's lap (while being borne away by him) and who were seen (by him) with evil looks?"
तदर्थं निर्जिता मे त्वं यशः प्रत्याहृतं मया |
नास्थ् मे त्वय्यभिष्वङ्गो यथेष्टं गम्यतामितः || ६-११५-२१
21. tvam nirjitaa = you were won; me = by me; tadartham = for that end (viz. retrieval of my lost honour); yashaH = the honour; pratyaahR^itam = has been restored; mayaa = by me; me = for me; na asti = there is no; abhiShvaN^gaH = intense attachment; tvayi = in you; gamyataam = you may go; yatheShTam = wherever you like; itaH = from here.
"You were won by me with that end in view (viz. the retrieval of my lost honour). The honour has been restored by me. For me, there is no intense attachment in you. You may go wherever you like from here."
तदद्य व्याहृतं भद्रे मयैतत् कृतबुद्धिना |
लक्ष्मणे वाथ भरते कुरु बुद्धिं यथासुखम् || ६-११५-२२
22. bhadre = O gracious lady!; tat = therefore; etat = this; vyaahR^itam = has been spoken; mayaa = by me; adya = today; kR^ita buddhinaa = with a resolved mind; kuru buddhim = set your mind; lakShmaNe = on Lakshmana; atha = or; bharate = on Bharata; yathaa sukham = as per your ease.
"O gracious lady! Therefore, this has been spoken by me today, with a resolved mind. Set you mind on Lakshmana or Bharata, as per your ease."
शत्रुघ्ने वाथ सुग्रीवे राक्षसे वा विभीषणे |
निवेशय मनः सीते यथा वा सुखमात्मनः || ६-११५-२३
23. siite = O Seetha!; niveshaya = set; manaH = your mind; shatrughne vaa = either on Shatrughna; atha = or; sugriiva = on Sugreeva; vibhiiShaNe va = or on Vibhishana; raakShase = the demon; aatmanaH yathaa sukham = or according to your own comfort.
"O Seetha! Otherwise, set your mind either on Shatrughna or on Sugreeva or on Vibhishana the demon; or according to your own comfort."
न हि त्वां रावणो दृष्ट्वो दिव्यरूपां मनोरमाम् |
मर्षयेत चिरं सीते स्वगृहे पर्यवस्थिताम् || ६-११५-२४
24. dR^iShTvaa = seeing; tvaam = you; divyaruupaam = who are endowed with a beautiful form; manoramaam = and attractive to the sense; paryavasthitaam = detained; chiram = for long; svagR^ihe = in his abode; raavaNaH = Ravana; na marShayetahi = could not have endured (your separation).
"Seeing you, who are endowed with a beautiful form and attractive to the sense, detained for long in his abode, Ravana could not have endured your separation."
ततः प्रियार्हश्रवणा तदप्रियं |
प्रियादुपश्रुत्य चिरस्य मैथिली |
मुमोच बाष्पं सुभृशं प्रवेपिता |
गजेन्द्रहस्ताभिहतेव वल्लरी || ६-११५-२५
25. upashrutya = hearing; tat = that; apriyam = unpalatable speech; priyaat = from her beloved husband; maithilii = Seetha; priyaarha shravaNaa = who used to hear pleasing words alone; subhR^isham pravepitaa = was very much trembled; chirasya = for long; vallariiva = like a creeper; gajendra abhihataa = attacked by the proboscis of an elephant; mumocha = and shed; baaShpam = tears.
Hearing that unpalatable speech of her beloved husband, Seetha who used to hear pleasing words alone, was very much trembled for long, like a creeper attacked by the proboscis of an elephant and thereupon shed tears.
- - - -
इत्यार्षे श्रीमद्रामायणे आदिकाव्ये युद्धकाण्डे पञ्चदशाधिकशततमः सर्गः
|Top of Page||1||2||3||4|
© August 2009, K. M. K. Murthy
What the world says about
verse and locator
The Fastest FTPS on the planet FREE Go FTP