Matali, Indra's charioteer leaves the battle-field and returns to his heaven. Then, Rama instructs Lakshmana to arrange for the installation of Vibhishana on the throne of Lanka. Lakshmana arranges to get sea-water from some monkey-chiefs and sprinkles it on Vibhishana, to install him as the King of Lanka, in the presence of the demons there. Then, Rama sends his message to Seetha through Hanuma.
इति प्रतिसमादिष्टो हनूमान्मारुतात्मजः |
प्रविवेश पुरीं लङ्कां पूज्यमानो निशाचरैः ||६-११३-१
1. iti prati samaadiShTaH = thus directed; (by Rama); hanuman = Hanuma; maarutaatmajaH = the son of wind-god; pravivesha = entered; laN^kaam puriim = the City of Lanka; puujyamaanaH = being respectfully received; nishaacharaiH = by the demons.
Thus directed by Rama, Hanuma the son of wind-god, entered deeply into the City of Lanka, being respectfully received by the demons.
प्रविश्य च पुरीं लङ्कामनुङ्ञ्प्य विभीषणम् |
ततस्तेनाभ्यनुज्ञातो हनूमान् वृक्षवाटिकाम् ||६-११३-२
संप्रविश्य यथान्यायम् सीताया विदितो हरिः |
ददर्श शशिना हीनां सातङ्कामिव रोहिणीम् ||६-११३-३
वृक्षमूले निरानन्दां राक्षसीभिः परीवृताम् |
निभृतः प्रणतः प्रह्वः सोंअभिगम्याभिवाद्य च ||६-११३-४
2-4. saH = that; hanuumaan = Hanuma; hariH = the monkey; viditaH = known; siitaayaaH = to Seetha; pravishya = having entered; laN^kaam puriim = the City of Lanka; anujJNaasya = seeking permission; vibhiiShaNam = from Vibhishana; abhyanujJNaataH = obtaining permission; tena = from him; sampravishya = and entering; yathaa nyaayam = as per the regulation; vR^ikShavaaTikam = the grove of trees; dadarsha = saw; vR^ikShamuule = at the foot of a tree; (Seethe); hiinaam = bereft of; mR^ijayaa = freshness; saataNkaam rohiNiimiva = like a frightened cow; niraandaam = joyless; parivR^itaam = and surrounded; raakShasiibhiH = with female-demons; abhigamya = approaching; (her) praNataH = humbly; abhivaadya cha = offering his salutation; prahvaH = by bending his head; saH = he; nibhR^itaH = kept silent.
That Hanuma, the monkey, known to Seetha, having entered the City of Lanka, seeking permission from Vibhishana, getting approval from him and entering Ashoka grove as per the prevailing regulation, saw at the foot of a tree, Seetha, who was bereft of freshness, looking joylessly like a frightened cow and surrounded with female-demons. Approaching her humbly by offering salutation to her in bending his head, he stood there silently.
दृष्ट्वा समागतं देवी हनूमन्तं महाबलम् |
तूष्णीमास्त तदा दृष्ट्वा स्मृत्वा हृष्टाभवत्तदा ||६-११३-५
5. dR^iShTvaa = on seeing; mahaabalam = the mighty; hanuumantam = Hanuma; samaagatam = who came there; devii = Seetha; tadaa = then; aasta = kept herself; tuuShNiim = silent; dR^iShTvaa = seeing; smR^itvaa = and recollecting (him); tadaa = then; abhavat hR^iShTaa = se became rejoiced.
Even after seeing the mighty Hanuma who came there, Seetha kept herself silent. Then, seeing and recollecting him, she became rejoiced.
सौम्यं तस्या मुखं दृष्ट्वा हनूमान् प्लवगोत्तमः |
रामस्य वचनं सर्वमाख्यातुमुपचक्रमे ||६-११३-६
6. dR^iShTvaa = seeing; tasyaa = her; saumyam = cool; mukham = face; hanuumaan = Hanuma; plavagottamaH = the excellent monkey; upachakrame = began; aakhyaatum = to narrate; sarvam = the entire; vachanam = message; raamasya = of Rama.
Seeing her cool face, Hanuma the excellent monkey began to narrate the entire message of Rama.
वैदेहि कुशली रामः ससुग्रीवः सलक्ष्मणः |
विभीषणसहायश्च हरीणां सहितो बलैः ||६-११३-७
7. vaidehi = O Seetha!; raamaH = Rama; saha suriiva lakShmaNaH = together with Sugreeva lakShmaNaH = together with Sugreeva and Lakshmana; vibhiiShaNa sahaayashcha = along with vibhishana as his supporter; hariiNaam balaiH sahitaH = and collectively with the army of monkeys; kushalii = is well.
"O Seetha! Rama is well, together with Sugreeva and Lakshmana, along with Vibhishana as his supporter and collectively with the army of monkeys."
कुशलं चाह सिद्धार्थो हतशत्रुररिन्दमः |
विभीषणसहायेन रामेण हरिभिः सह ||६-११३-८
निहतो रावणो देवि लक्ष्मणस्य नयेन च वीर्यवान् |
8. devi = O the divine lady!; hata shatruH = having destroyed his enemy; amitrajit = Rama; the annihilator of his adversaries; siddhaarthaH = having accomplished his object; aaha = is informing; tvaa = you; kushalam = about his welfare; raameNa = by Rama; lakShmaNena = and by Lakshmana; vibhiShaNa sahaayena = with the support of Vibhishana; haribhiH saha = along with the monkeys; viiryavaan raavaNaH = the valiant Ravana; nihataH = has been killed.
"O the divine lady! Having destroyed his enemy, Rama the annihilator of his adversaries, having accomplished his object, is informing you about his welfare. Rama and Lakshmana, with the support of Vibhishana and the monkeys, killed the valiant Ravana."
प्रियमाख्यामि ते देवि भूयश्च त्वां सभाजये ||६-११३-९
तव प्रभावाद्धर्मज्ञे महान् रामेण संयुगे |
लब्धोऽयं विजयः सीते स्वस्था भव गतज्वरा ||६-११३-१०
9-10. devi = O the divine lady!; aakhyaami = I am telling; priyam = a pleasant news; bhuuyaH = and again; tvaam = sabhaajaye = eulogizing you; siite = O Seetha; dharmajJNe = knowing what is right!; tava prabhaavaat = because of your power; ayam = this; mahaan = great; vijayaH = victory; labhdaH = has been accomplished; raamena = by Rama; samyuge = in battle; bhava = be; svasthaa = comfortable; gatajvavaa = free from grief.
"O the divine lady! I am telling a pleasant news and again eulogizing you. O Seetha, the knower of righteousness! Rama accomplished this great victory in the battle, because of your power. Be free from your grief and be comfortable."
रावणश्च हतः शत्रुर्लङ्का चैव वशीकृता |
मया ह्यलब्धनिद्रेण धृतेन तव निर्जये ||६-११३-११
प्रतिज्ज़्नैषा विनिस्तीर्णा बद्ध्वा सेतुं महोदधौ |
11. raavaNashcha = Ravana; shatruH = the enemy; hataH = was killed; laN^kaachaiva = even the Lanka too; vashiikR^itaa = has been subdued; dhR^itena = with a firm determination; nirjaye = to win you back; mayaa = by me; alabdha nidreNa = who have had no sleep; baddhvaa = having constructed; setum = a bridge; mahodadhe = across the great ocean; ehhaa = this; pratijJnaa = vow (of winning you back); vinistiirNaa = has been redeemed.
"Ravana, the enemy was killed. Even the Lanka has been subdued. With a firm determination to win you back, by me who have had no sleep, a bridge has been constructed across the great ocean and this vow (of winning you back) has been fulfilled."
संभ्रमश्च न कर्तव्यो वर्तन्त्या रावणालये ||६-११३-१२
विभीषणविधेयं हि लङ्कैश्वर्यमिदं कृतम् |
12. sambhramaH cha na kartavyaH = you ought not to fear; vartyantyaa raavaNaalaya = for having stayed in Ravana's abode; idam = this; laN^kaishvaryam = kingdom of Lanka; kR^itam hi = has been placed indeed; vibhiiShana vidheyam = under the dominion ship of Vbhishana.
"You ought not to have any fear, living as you do in Ravana's abode. This kingdom of Lanka has now been placed indeed under the dominion ship of Vibhishana."
तदाश्वसिहि विस्रब्धं स्वगृहे परिवर्तसे ||६-११३-१३
अयं चाभ्येति संहृष्टस्त्वद्दर्शनसमुत्सुकः |
13. tat = that is why; aashvasi hi = console yourself; visrabdham = complacently; parivartase = you are staying; svagR^ihe = in your own house; ayam cha = this Vibhishana too; abhyeti = is coming; tvaddarshana samutsakaH = so eager as he is; to see you. samhR^iShTaH = with rejoice.
"That is why, console yourself complacently. You are staying in your own house. This Vibhishana too is coming to you with a rejoice, as he is so eager to see you."
एवमुक्ता तु सा देवी सीता शशिनिभानना ||६-११३-१४
प्रहर्षेणावरुद्धा सा व्यहर्तुं न शशाक ह |
14. saa siitaa = that Seetha; devii = the divine lady; shashi nibhaananaa = with her face resembling the moon; evam = thus; uktaa = spoken; na shashaaka ha = was not able; vyaahartum = to speak; avaruddhaa = tongue-tied as she was; praharSheNa = with a thrill of delight.
Hearing these words, that Seetha the divine lady, whose face resembled the moon, could not speak, tongue-tied as she was with a thrill of delight.
ततोऽब्रवीद्धरिवरः सीतामप्रतिजल्पतीम् ||६-११३-१५
किं त्वं चिन्तयसे देवि किं च मां नाभिभाषसे |
15. tataH = thereupon; harivaraH = Hanuma; abraviit = spoke; siitaam = to Seetha; apratijalpatiim = who was not making any answer; (as follows); devii = O divine lady!; kim = what; tvam = are you; chintayase = reflecting upon?; kim = why; naabhibhaaShase = don't you speak; maam = to me?
Thereupon, Hanuma spoke to Seetha, who was not making any answer (as follows): "O divine lady! What are you reflecting upon? Why don't you speak to me?"
एवमुक्ता हनुमता सीता धर्मपथे स्थिता ||६-११३-१६
अब्रवीत्परमप्रीता बाष्पगद्गदया गिरा |
16. evam = thus; uktaa = asked; hanuumataa = by Hanuma; siitaa = Seetha; sthitaa = who was established; dharmapathe = in a righteous path; paramapriitaa = was very much delighted; abraviit = and spoke; giraa = in a voice; baShpagadgadayaa = choked with tears.
Thus asked by Hanuma, Seetha, who was ever established in a righteous path, was very much delighted and spoke (as follows) in a voice choked with tears.
प्रियमेतदुपश्रुत्य भर्तुर्विजयसंश्रयम् ||६-११३-१७
प्रहर्षवशमापन्ना निर्वाक्यास्मि क्षणान्तरम् |
17. upashrutya = hearing; etat priyam = this pleasant news; vijaya samshrayam = about the victory; bhartuH = of my husband; asmi = I became; nirvaakyaa = speechless; kShaNaantaram = for a while; aapanna praharShavasham = overpowered as I was by extreme joy.
"Hearing these pleasant tidings about the victory of my husband, I became speechless for a while, overpowered as I was, by extreme joy."
न हि पश्यामि सदृशं चिन्तयन्ती प्लवङ्गम ||६-११३-१८
मत्प्रियाख्यानकस्येह तव प्रत्यभिनन्दनम् |
18. plavamgame = O Hanuma!; na pashyaami hi = I do not indeed see; sadR^isham = any appropriate thing; iham = here; pratyabhinandanam = which pleases you in return; matpriyaakhaanakasya = to; you; who have announced these tidings; pleasant to me; chintayantii = even after enervating my brain.
"O, Hanuman! I indeed do not see any appropriate thing here, which pleases you in return, to offer you, who have announced these tidings pleasant to me, even after enervating my brain."
न च पश्यामि तत्सौम्य पृथिव्यामपि वानर ||६-११३-१९
सदृशं मत्प्रियाख्याने तव दातुं भवेत्समम् |
19. na cha pashyaami = nor; do I perceive; sadR^isham kimchana = anything worthy of you; pR^ithivyaam = on this earth; priyaakhyena sadR^isham = or comparable to the act of conveying this agreeable news (to me); dattvaa yat = and on bestowing which; tava = on you; sukham = happiness; bhavet = may come to me.
"Nor, do I perceive anything worthy for you on this earth for you act of conveying this agreeable news to me and on bestowing which on you, happiness may come to me."
हिरण्यं वा सुवर्णं वा रत्नानि विविधानि च ||६-११३-२०
राज्यं वा त्रिषु लोकेषु नैतदर्हति भाषितुम् |
20. naarhati = nothing is worthy; etat = of this; bhaShitam = message; hiraNyam vaa = nor gold; vividhaani ratnaani = nor the different diamonds; raajyam vaa = nor the sovereignty; triShu lokeShu = of the three worlds.
"Neither silver, nor gold nor even diamonds nor the sovereignty of the three worlds, can be worthy of this message."
एवमुक्तस्तु वैदेह्या प्रत्युवाच प्लवङ्गमः ||६-११३-२१
प्रगृहीताञ्जलिर्वाक्यं सीतायाः प्रमुखे स्थितः |
21. evam = thus; uktaH = spoken; vaidehyaa = by Seetha; plavangamaH = hnuma; sthitaH = standing; pramukhe = with his face turned; siitaayaaH = towards Seetha; pragR^ihiitaaN^jaliH = and with his hands joined in salutation; pratyuvaacha = replied; harShaat = joyfully (as follows):
Hearing the words of Seetha, Hanuma standing with his face turned towards Seetha and with his hands joined in salutation, joyfully replied as follows:
भर्तुः प्रियहिते युक्ते भर्तुर्विजयकाङ्क्षिणि ||६-११३-२२
स्निग्धमेवंविधं वाक्यं त्वमेवार्हसि भाषितुम् |
22. anindite = O faultless lady; yukte = interested; priyahite = in things which are agreeable and beneficial; bhartuH = to husband; vijayakaaN^kShiNi = and wishing for his victory!; tvameva = you alone; arhasi = deserve (to speak); evamvidham = such; vaakyam = words; snigdham = endowed with affection.
"O faultless lady, interested in things agreeable and beneficial to husband and wishing for his victory! You alone deserve to speak such words filled with affection."
तवैतद्वचनं सौम्ये सारवत्स्निग्धमेव च ||६-११३-२३
रत्नौघाद्विविधाच्चापि देवराज्याद्विशिष्यते |
23. saumye = O gentle lady!; etat tava vachanam = these words of yours; saaravat = with preciousness; snigdhamevacha = and affection; vishiShyate = are better than; vividhaat ratnaughaat = various kinds of heaps of diamonds; devaraajyaat = or the sovereignty over the gods.
"O gentle lady! These words of yours, endowed with preciousness and affection, are better than various kinds of collection of diamonds or the sovereignty over the celestials."
अर्थतश्च मया प्राप्ता देवराज्यादयो गुणाः ||६-११३-२४
हतशत्रुं विजयिनं रामं पश्यामि यत्स्थितम् |
24. pashyaami = I am seeing; raamam = Rama; susthitam = in good condition; hatashatrum = he having killed the enemies; vijayinam = and having attained victory; arthataH = that is to say; devaraajyaadayaH = sovereignty over the celestial and other; guNaH = good qualities; praaptaaH = have been obtained; mayaa = by me.
"I see Rama victorious and happy, he having killed the enemies and having obtained victory. That is to say, I have attained the blessing like the sovereignty over the celestials and other good qualities."
तस्य तद्वचनं श्रुत्वा मैथिली जनकात्मजा ||६-११३-२५
ततः शुभतरं वाक्यमुवाच पवनात्मजम् |
25. shrutvaa = hearing; tat vachanam = those words; tasya = of Hanuma; maithilii = Seetha; janakaatmajaa = the daughter of Janaka; tataH = thereupon; uvaacha = spoke; shubhataram vaakyam = the following most auspicious words; pavanaatmajam = to Hanuma.
Hearing those words of Hanuma, Seetha the daughter of Janaka thereupon spoke the following auspicious words to Hanuma.
अतिलक्षणसंपन्नं माधुर्यगुणभूषितम् ||६-११३-२६
बुद्ध्या ह्यष्टाङ्गया युक्तं त्वमेवार्हसि भाषितुम् |
26. tvameva = you alone; arhasi = are worthy; bhaaShitum = can utter; (these words); atilakShaNa sampannam = endowed with exceedingly good attributes; maadhurya guNa bhuuShitam = embellished with a grace of style; yuktam = filled; buddhyaa = with an intelligence; aShTaaNgayaa = consisting of eight excellences.*
"You alone can utter these words, endowed with exceedingly good attributes, embellished with a grace of style and filled with an intelligence, consisting of eight excellences.*"
*1) Keenness to hear discourse on the Spirit 2) readiness to hear such discourses, 3) receptivity, 4) retentive power, 5) reasoning for and 6) against a proposition, 7) the faculty of comprehension and 8) realization of truth: These are the eight characteristics of good intelligence, according to Neetisara Kamandaka, often quoted by the commentators in Sanskrit: shushruShaa shravaNaM chaiva | ghruhaNaM dhaaraNaM tathaa | uuhoapehoarthavijJnaanaM | tattvajJNaanaM cha dhiiguNaaH ||
श्लाघनीयोऽनिलस्य त्वं सुतः परमधार्मिकः ||६-११३-२७
ब्लं शौर्यं श्रुतं सत्त्वं विक्रमो दाक्ष्यमुत्तमम् |
तेजः क्षमा धृतिः स्थैर्यं विनीतत्वं न संशयः ||६-११३-२८
27-28. tvam = you; shlaaghaniiya = are a praiseworthy; paramadhaarmikaH = and supremely virtuous; sutaH = son; anilasya = of the wind-god; bahavaH = Numerous; shobhanaaH = good; guNaaH = qualities; tvayyeva = are there in you alone; ete = they are here; anye = along with others; balam = strength; shauryam = valour; shrutam = knowledge of scriptures; sattvam = vigour; vikramaH = prowess; daakShyam uttamam = superlative skill (in action); tejaH = spirit; kShamaa = forbearance; dhR^itiH = firmness; sthairyam = stability; viniitatvam = and humility; na samshayaH = there is no doubt (about it).
"You are a praiseworthy and supremely virtuous son of the wind-god. Numerous good qualities are there in you along (as follows, along with others): strength, valour, knowledge of scriptures, vigour, prowess, superlative skill (in action), spirit, forbearance, firmness, stability and re is no humility. There is no doubt about it."
अथोवाच पुनः सीतामसंभ्रातो विनीतवत् ||६-११३-२९
प्रगृहीताञ्जलिर्हर्षात् सीतायाः प्रमुखे स्थितः |
29. atha = thereafter; (Hanmua); pragR^ihiitaaN^jaliH = having joined his hands together in salutation; sthitaH = having stood; purataH = in front; siitaayaaH = of Seetha; asambhraantaH = free from flurry; viniitavat = and with humility; punaH = again; uvaacha = spoke; siitaam = to Seetha (as follows):
Thereafter, having joined his hands together in salutation, standing in front of Seetha in humility and free from flurry, Hanuma again spoke to Seetha (as follows):
इमास्तु खलु राक्षस्यो यदि त्वमनुमन्यसे ||६-११३-३०
हन्तुमिच्छामि ताः सर्वा याभिस्त्वं तर्जिता पुरा |
30. imaaH = these women; puraa = earlier; yaabhiH = by whom; tvam = you; tarjitaa = have been frightened; (those are); raakShasya khalu = indeed the female demons; tvam anumasyase yadi = if you permit me; ichchhaami = I wish; hantum = to kill; taaH sarvaaH = all of them.
"If you permit me, I wish to kill of all these notorious female-demons, by whom you have been frightened earlier."
क्लिश्यन्तीं पतिदेवां त्वामशोकवनिकां गताम् ||६-११३-३१
घोररूपसमाचाराः क्रूराः क्रूरतरेक्षणाः |
इह श्रुता मया देवि राक्षस्यो विकृताननाः ||६-११३-३२
असकृत्परुषैर्वाक्यैर्वदन्त्यो रावणाज्ञया |
31-32. kruuraaH raakShasyaH = (These) cruel female-demons; ghoraruupa samaacharaaH = of terrific form and behavior; kruuratarekShaNaaH = with still more cruel eyes; vikrutaananaa = having ugly faces; shrutaaH = were heard; maya = by me; iha = here; vadantyaH = speaking; paruShaiH = harsh; vaakayiH = words; tvaam = to you; patidevaam = who are so devoted to your husband; asakR^it = again and again; raavaNaajJNayaa = at Ravana's command gataam klishyantiim = when you were getting hardships; ashokavanikaam = in the Ashoka grove; devii = O divine lady!
"These cruel female-demons of terrific form and behavior, with still more cruel eyes, having ugly faces, were heard by me here speaking again and again harsh words to you, who are so devoted to your husband, at Ravana's command, when you were suffering hardships in the Ashoka grove, O divine lady!"
विकृता विकृताकाराः क्रूताः क्रूरकचेक्षणाः||६-११३-३३
इच्छामि विविधैर्घातैर्हन्तुमेताः सुदारुणाः |
राक्षस्यो दारुणकथा वरमेतं प्रयच्छ मे ||६-११३-३४
33-34. ichchhami = I wish; hantum = to kill; vividhaiH ghaataiH = with various kinds of strokes; kruuraaH = these cruel; sudaaruNaaH = extremely rough; raakShasasya vikR^itaaraaH = deformed female-demons; vikR^itaaH = with distorted features; kruurakachakShaNaaH = and terrific hairs and eyes; daaruNakathaaH = talking together roughly; prayachchha = (Pray) grant; etat = this; varam = boon; me = to me.
"I wish to kill with various kinds of strokes, these cruel, extremely rough and deformed female-demons, with distorted features and terrific hairs and eyes, talking together roughly. (Pray) grant this boon to me."
मुष्टिभिः पाणिभिश्चैव चरणैश्चैव शोभने |
जङ्घाजानुप्रहारैश्च दन्तानां चैव पीडनैः ||६-११३-३५
भक्षणैः कर्णनासानां केशानां लुञ्चनैस्तथा |
भृशं शुष्कमुखीभिश्च दारुणैर्लङ्घनैर्हतैः ||६-११३-३६
विभिन्नशङ्कुग्रीवांशपार्श्वकैश्च कलेवरैः |
निपात्य हन्तुमिच्छमि तव विप्रियकारिणीः ||६-११३-३७
35-37. ichchhaami = I wish; hantum = to kill; tava vipriyakaariNiiH = (the female-demons) who have spoken harsh words to you and = wronged you; nipaatya = striking them down; muShTibhiH = with my fists; paaNighaataishcha = hand-blows; vishaalaiH baahuH = long arms; jaJNaa jaanujaanuprahaaraishcha = the blows of my shanks and knees; dantaanaam piiDanaiH = by causing pain to their teeth; karNa naasaanaam bhakShanaiH = biting off their ears and nose; tathaa = and; keshaanaam luN^chhanaiH = pulling out their hair; bhR^isham shuShkamukhaishcha = making them very much dry-mouthed; daaranaiH = tearing them off; laN^ghanaiH = leaping over them; hataiH = encountering them; kalevaraiH nipaatya = and throwing down their bodies; vibhinna shaN^kugriivaamsa paarshvakaiH = with their burst cheeks; necks; shoulders and ribs.
"I wish to kill the female-demons, who have spoken harsh words to you and wronged you, striking them down with my fists, hand-blows, long arms, blows of my shanks and knees, by causing pain to their teeth, biting off their ears and nose and pulling out their hair, making them severely dry-mouthed, tearing them off, leaping over them, encountering them and throwing down their bodies, with their burst cheeks, necks, shoulders and ribs."
घातये तीव्ररूपाभिर्याभिस्त्वं तर्जिता पुरा ||६-११३-३८
38. yashasvini = O illustrious lady!; samprahaarya = striking them; bahubhiH prahaaraiH = with several blows; evam = in this way; ghaataye = I would destroy; tiivraruupaabhiH = the female demons of terrible form; yaabhiH = by whom; tarjitaa = you have been threatened; puraa = in the past.
"O illustrious lady! Striking them with several blows in this way, I would destroy the female-demons of terrible form, by whom you have been threatened in the past."
इत्युक्ता सा हनुमता कृपणा दीनवत्सला |
हनुमन्तमुवाचेदं चिन्तयित्वा मिमृश्य च ||६-११३-३९
39. chintayitvaa = reflecting; vimR^ishacha = and pondering (for a while); uktaa = when spoken; iti = thus; hanumataa = by Hanuma; saa kR^ipaNaa = the compassionate Seetha; diina vatsalaa = who was kind to the miserable; uvaacha = spoke; hanumantam = to Hanuma; idam = as follows:
Reflecting as pondering for a while, when spoke thus by Hanuma, the compassionate Seetha, who was kind to the miserable, spoke to Hanuma as follows:
राजसंश्रयवश्यानां कुर्वतीनां पराज्ञया |
विधेयानां च दासीनां कः कुप्येद्वानरोत्तम ||६-११३-४०
40. vaanarottama = O the foremost of monkeys!; kaH = who; kupyet = will be angry; daasiinaam = with servant maids; raja samshrayavashyanaam = who are dependent on the command of their king; kurvatiinaam vidheyaanaam = and work; paraajJNayaa = in obedience to the orders of others.
"O the foremost of monkey! Who will be angry with servant-maids, who are dependent on their king's command and work in obedience to the orders of others?"
भाग्यवैषम्य योगेन पुरा दुश्चरितेन च |
मयैतेत्प्राप्यते सर्वं स्वकृतं ह्युपभुज्यते ||६-११३-४१
41. etat sarvam = all this; praapyate = is reaped; mayaa = by me; bhaagya vaiShamya doSheNa = as a consequence of my bad fortune; duShkR^itena = or by a misdeed committed by me; purastaat = in the past; saakR^itam = the fruit of one's own making; upabhujyte hi = is indeed experienced (in one's life).
"All this is reaped by me, as a consequence of my bad fortune or an account of a misdeed committed by me in the past. The fruit of one's own making is indeed experienced (in one's life)."
मैवं वद महाबाहो दैवी ह्येषा परा गतिः |
प्राप्तव्यं तु दशा योगान्मयैतदिति निश्चितम् ||६-११३-४२
दासीनां रावणस्याहं मर्षयामीह दुर्बला |
42. mahaabaaho = O the great armed!; maavada = do not speak; evam = like this; eShaa = this; paraa hi = is indeed great; daivii gatiH = divine strategy; nishchitam = it was decided; iti = that; idam = this situation; praaptavyam = is to be obtained; mayaa = by me; dashaayogaat = due to the application of fate; durbalaa = feeble; aham = (as) I am; marShayaami = I am forgiving; daasiinaam = the servant-maids; raavaNasya = of Ravana; iha = here.
"O the great-armed Hanuma! Do not speak like this. This is indeed a great divine strategy. It was ordained that this type of situation is to be obtained by me, due to the application of fate. Feeble as I am in these matters, I am forgiving the servant-maids of Ravana here."
आज्ञप्ता रावणेनैता राक्षस्यो माम् अतर्जयन् ||६-११३-४३
हते तस्मिन्न कुर्युर्हि तर्जनं वानरोत्तम |
43. maarutaatmaja = O Hanuma!; Ravana the demon; iha = here; raakShasyaH = the female-demons; tarjayanti = threatened; kurvanti = they will not do; tarjanam = the threatening.
"O Hanuma! As commanded by Ravana the threatened me. As he is dead now, they will not do the threatening."
अयं व्याघ्रसमीपे तु पुराणो धर्मसंहितः ||६-११३-४४
ऋक्षेण गीतः श्लोको मे तं निबोध प्लवङ्गम |
44. plavangama = O Hanuma!; asti = there is; puraaNaH = an old; shlokaH = axim; dharma samhitaH = possessed of merit; giitaH = actually uttered; R^ikSheNa = by a bear; vyaghrasamiipe = in the presence of a tiger; nibodha = hear; tam = it (from me).
"O Hanuma! There is an old axim possessed of merit, actually uttered by a bear in the presence of a tiger. Hear it from me."
न परः पापमादत्ते परेषां पापकर्मणाम् ||६-११३-४५
समयो रक्षितव्यस्तु सन्तश्चारित्रभूषणाः |
45. samayaH = a doctrine; (indicating that) paraH = a superior person; naadatte = does not undertake; paapam = a wicked deed; pareShaam = towards others; evil-doer; rakShitavyaH tu = is indeed to be protected; santaH = virtuous persons; chaaritra bhuuShaNaaH = have their good conduct as an ornament.
"A superior person does not take into account the sin of those who have committed an offence evil for evil must be carried out at all costs virtuous persons account good conduct as an ornament."
Formerly a tiger ran in pursuit of a hunter. The latter climbed up a tree. There was bear already preached on a bough of the tree. Making to the foot of the tree, the tiger addressed the following words to the bear: "Look here, both of us are denizens of the forest. The hunter is our common enemy. Therefore, knock him down from the tree." The bear, however, replied: "Having reached my abode, the hunter has in a way sought asylum with me. I am therefore not going to hurl him down; I would be deviating from my duty if I do so." Saying so, the bear laid himself down to sleep. The tiger now turned to the hunter and said, "Push the bear down. I shall afford protection to you." The hunter thereupon pushed the sleeping bear. The bear, however, clutched at another bough and thus escaped from falling down. The tiger now addressed the following appeal to the bear: "The hunter sought to hurl you down and has thus wronged you. Therefore push him down." Though pressed by the tiger again and again, the bear refused to hurl him down and repeated the above quoted verse in support of his attitude.
पापानां वा शुभानां वा वधार्हाणां प्लवङ्गम ||६-११३-४६
कार्यं कारुण्यमार्येण न कश्चिन्नापराध्यति |
46. kaaruNyam = kindness; kaaryam = is to be shown; aaryeNa = by a noble person; paapaanaam vaa = either towards a sinner; shubhaanaam vaa = or a virtuous person; athaapivaa = or even; vadhaarhaaNaam = to person deserving to be killed; na kashchit = (for) There is none; naaparaadhyati iti na = who never commits a wrong.
"Kindness is to be shown by a noble person either towards a sinner or to a virtuous person or even to a person who deserves death, for, there is none who never commits a wrong."
लोकहिंसाविहाराणां रक्षसां कामरूपिणम् ||६-११३-४७
कुर्वतामपि पापानि नैव कार्यमशोभनम् |
47. ashobhanam = evil; kaaryam = act; na kaaryam = is not to be done; paapani kurvataamapi = even to those who do evil-deeds; loka himsaavihaaraaNaam = in taking pleasure to harm people; kruuraaNaam = the cruel ones; paapakarmaNaam = who do evil deeds.
"No evil is to be done, even to those cruel persons of sinful deeds, who take pleasure to harm the life of others and continue to perpetrate their sinful acts."
एवमुक्तस्तु हनुमान्सीतया वाक्यकोविदः ||६-११३-४८
प्रत्युवाच ततः सीतां रामपत्नीं यशस्विनीम् |
48. evam = thus; uktaH = spoken; siitayaa = by Seetha; hanuman = Hanuma; vaakyakovidaH = who was skilled in speech; tataH = then; pratyuvaacha = replied; aninditaam siitaam = to the faultless Seetha; raamapatriim = the consort of Rama.
Hearing the words of Seetha, Hanuma who was skilled in speech, then replied to the faultless Seetha, Rama's consort (as follows):
युक्ता रामस्य भवती धर्मपत्नी यशस्विनी ||६-११३-४९
प्रतिसन्दिश मां देवि गमिष्ये यत्र राघवः |
49. devii = O divine lady!; bhavatii = you; guNaanvitaa = endowed with virtue; yuktaa = are the apt; dharmapatnii = wife; raamasya = of Rama; pratisamdesha = give a message in return; maam = to me; gamiShye = I will go yatra = to the place where; raaghavaH = Rama is.
"O divine lady! You are the apt wife of Rama, full of virtue. Give me a message in return. I will go to the place where Rama is."
एवमुक्ता हनुमता वैदेही जनकात्मजा ||६-११३-५०
अब्रवीद्द्रष्टुमिच्छामि भर्तारं वानरोत्तम |
50. evam = thus; uktaa = spoken; hanumataa = by Hanuma; saa = that; vaidehii = Seetha; janakaatmajaa = the daughter of Janaka; abraviit = spoke (as follows); vaanarottama = O the foremost of monkeys!; ichchhaami = I long; draShTum = to see; bhartaaram = my husband.
Thus spoken by Hanuma, that Seetha the daughter of Janaka spoke as follows: "O the foremost of monkeys! I long to see my husband."
तस्यास्तद्वचनं श्रुत्वा हनुमान्पवनात्मजः ||६-११३-५१
हर्षयन्मैथिलीं वाक्यमुवाचेदं महाद्युतिः |
51. shrutvaa = hearing; tat vachanam = those words; tasyaaH = of Seetha; mahaamatiH = the highly intelligent; maarutaatmajaH = Hanuma; the son of wind-god; harShayan maithiliim = bringing delight to Seetha; uvaacha = spoke; idam vaakyam = the following words:
Hearing those words of Seetha, the highly intelligent Hanuma, the son of wind-god, bringing delight to Seetha, spoke the following words:
पूर्णचन्द्राननं रामं द्रक्ष्यस्यार्ये सलक्ष्मणम् ||६-११३-५२
स्थिरमित्रं हतामित्रं शचीव त्रिदशेश्वरम् |
52. drakShyasi = you shall see; adya = today; raamam = Rama; puurNachandramukham = whose countenance is like a full moon; sthitamitram = whose friends (like Sugreeva and Vibhishana) are alive; hataamitram = whose enemies have been killed; salakShmaNam = along with (the consort of Indra); (would see); tridasheshwaram = Indra; the lord of gods.
"You shall see today, Rama whose countenance is like a full moon, whose friends (like Sugreeva and Vibhishana) are alive, whose enemies have been killed along with Lakshmana, as Shachi (the consort of Indra) would see Indra the lord of gods."
तामेवमुक्त्वा राजन्तीं सीतां साक्षादिव श्रियम् ||६-११३-५३
आजगाम महावेगो हनूमान्यत्र राघवः |
53. evam = thus; uktvaa = speaking; taam = to that Seetha; raajantiim = who appeared radiant; saakShaat shriyamiva = before his eyes as Lakshmi the goddess of prosperity; hanuman = Hanuma; mahaatejaaH = a great splendor; aajagaama = came; yatra = to the place where; raaghavaH = Rama was.
Thus speaking to that Seetha, who appeared radiant before his eyes as Lakshmi the goddess of prosperity, Hanuma of great splendor, came to the place where Rama was.
सपदि हरिवरस्ततो हनूमान् |
प्रतिवचनं जनकेश्वरात्मजायाः |
त्रिदशवरप्रतिमाय राघवाय ||६-११३-५४
54. tataH = thereafter; hanuumaan = Hanuma; harivaraH = the excellent of monkeys; akathayat = narrated; sampadi katham = speedily; yathaakrameNa = in order of sequence; prativachanam = the reply given; janakeshvaraatmajaayaaH = by Seetha the daughter of Janaka the king; raaghavaaya = to Rama; tridashavarapratimaaya = who was equal to Indra the chief of celestials.
Then, Hanuma the excellent of monkeys speedily narrated, in order of sequence, the message given by Seetha, to Rama who was equal to Indra the chief of celestials.
- - - -
इत्यार्षे श्रीमद्रामायणे आदिकाव्ये युद्धकाण्डे त्रयोदशाधिकशततमः सर्गः
|Top of Page||1||2||3||4|
© July 2009, K. M. K. Murthy
Content moved by Go FTP FREE Software