Matali, Indra's charioteer leaves the battle-field and returns to his heaven. Then, Rama instructs Lakshmana to arrange for the installation of Vibhishana on the throne of Lanka. Lakshmana arranges to get sea-water from some monkey-chiefs and sprinkles it on vibhishana, to instal him as the King of Lanka, in the presence of the demons there. Then, Rama sends his message to Seetha through Hanuma.
ते रावणवधं दृष्ट्वा देवगन्धर्वदानवाः |
जग्मुः स्वैः स्वै र्विमानैस्ते कथयन्तः शुभाः कथाः || ६-११२-१
1. dR^iShTvaa = Having seen; raavaNa vadham = the destruction of Ravana; te = those; devagandharvadaanavaaH = gods; Gandharvas the celestial musicians and the demons; jagmuH = went away; svaiH svaiH vimaanaiH = in their respective aerial cars; te kathayantaH = narrating as they were; shubhaaH kathaaH = about the auspicious narratives.
Having seen the destruction of Ravana, those gods, celestial musicians and demons, while chatting about the auspicious narrative, went away in their respective aerial cars.
रावणस्य वधं घोरं राघवस्य पराक्रमम् |
सुयुद्धं वानराणां च सुग्रीवस्य च मन्त्रितम् || ६-११२-२
अनुरागं च वीर्यं च सौमित्रे र्लक्ष्मणस्य च |
पतिव्रतात्वम् सीताया हनूमति पराक्रमम् || ६-११२-३
कथयन्तो महाभागा जग्मुर्हृष्ट यथागतम् |
2-3. kathayantaH = chatting themselves about; ghoram vadham = the awful destruction; raavaNasya = of Ravana; raaghavasya paraakramam = the prowess of Rama; vaanaraaNaam suyuddham = the admirable combat of the monkeys; sugrivasya mantritam = the counsel of Sugreeva; anuraagam cha viiryam cha = the affection and the valour; lakShmaNasya = of Lakshmana; saumitreH = the son of Sumitra; pativrataatvam siitaayaaH = the loyalty of Seetha to her husband; hanumati paraakramam = and the strength; mahaabhaagaaH = the illustrious gods and others; of Hanuma; hR^iShTaaH = were rejoiced; jagmuH = and returned; yathaagatam = as they had come.
Chatting themselves about the awful destruction of Ravana, the terrific prowess of Rama, the admirable combat of the monkeys, the counsel tendered by Sugreeva, the affection and valour of Lakshmana; the son of Sumitra; the loyaltyof Seetha to her husband and about the strength of Hanuma, the illustrious celestials and others rejoicingly returned as they had come.
राघवस्तु रथं दिव्यमिन्द्रदत्तं शिखिप्रभम् || ६-११२-४
अनुज्ञाय महाबाहुर्मातलिं प्रत्यपूजयत् |
4. anujJNaaya = taking leave; divyam ratham = of the celestial chariot; indradattam = which had been given by Indra the lord of celestials; shikhiprabham = and which = shone like fire; mahaabaahuH = the mighty armed; raaghavastu = Rama; pratya puujayat = respectfully saluted; maatalim = Matali.
Taking leave of the celestial chariot, which had been given by Indra the lord of celestials and which shone like fire, the mighty armed Rama respectfully saluted Matali.
राघवेणाभ्यनुज्ञातो मातलिः शक्रसारथिः || ६-११२-५
दिव्यं तं तथमास्थाय दिवमेवोत्पपात ह |
5. abhyanujJNaataH = as assented; raaghaveNa = by Rama; maataliH = Matali; shakrasaarathiH = Indra's charioteer; aasthaaya = mounting; divyam tam ratham = that celestial chariot; utpapaata = ascended; diNameva = to the heaven itself.
As assented by Rama, Matali Indra's charioteer, mounting that celestial chariot, ascended to the heaven itself.
तस्मिंस्तु दिवमारुढे सरथे रथिनां वरः || ६-११२-६
राघवः परमप्रीतः सुग्रीवं परिषस्वजे |
6. tasmin = when that matali; aaruuDhe = ascended; divam = to heaven; sarathe = along with his chariot; raaghavaH = Rama; varaH = the foremost one; rathinaam = among the chariot-warriors; paramapriitaH = was extremely pleased; pariShasvaje = and embraced; sugriivam = Sugreeva.
When Matali ascended to heaven along with his chariot, Rama, the foremost one among the chariot-warriors was highly rejoiced and embraced Sugreeva.
पर्ष्वज्य च सुग्रीवं लक्ष्मणेनाभिवादितः || ६-११२-७
पूज्यमानो हरिगणैराजगाम बलालयम् |
7. pariShvajya cha = having embraced; sugriivam = Sugreeva; abhivaaditaH = and having been greeted; lakShmaNena = by Lakshmana; puujyamaanaH = and having been honoured; harigaNaiH = by the monkey-troops; aajagaama = (Rama) came; balaalayam = to the camp where the army had been stationed.
Having embraced Sugreeva greeted by Lakshmana and having been honoured by the monkey-troops. Rama came to the camp where the army had been stationed.
अथोवाच स काकुत्स्थः समीपपरिवर्तिनम् || ६-११२-८
सौमित्रिं सत्त्वसंपन्नं लक्ष्मणं शुभलक्षणम् |
8. atha = then; saH kaakutthsaH = Rama; uvaacha = spoke; (as follows) lakShmaNam = to Lakshmana; saumitrim = the son of Sumitra; sattva sampannam = endowed as he was with strength; shubhalakShaNam = and having auspicious marks; samiipa parivartanam = who stayed nearby.
Then, Rama spoke (as follows) to Lakshmana, son of Sumitra, who was endowed with strength and having auspicious marks, who stayed nearby.
विभीषणमिमं सौम्य लङ्कायामभिषेचय || ६-११२-९
अनुरक्तं च भक्तं च तथा पूर्वोपकारिणम् |
9. saumya = O the benevolent Lakshmana!; abhiShechaya = consecrate; laN^kaayaam = on the throne of Lanka; imam vibhiiShaNam = this Vibhishana; anuraktam = to whom everyone is attached; bhaktam cha = a loyal person; tathaa = and; puurvopakaariNam = the one who has formerly done a service to us.
"O the benevolent Lakshmana! Consecrate on the throne of Lanka, this Vibhishana to whom everyone is attached, a loyal person as he is and the one who has formerly done a service to us."
एष मे परमः कामो यदिमं रावणानुजम् || ६-११२-१०
लङ्कायां सौम्य पश्येयमभिषिक्तं विभीषणम् |
10. saumya = O gentle one! eShaH = this; me = is my; paramaH = paramount; kaamaH = desire; yat = that; pashyeyam = I should see; imam vibhiiShaNam = this Vibhishana; raavaNaanujam = the brother of Ravana; abhiShiktam = being consecrated for throne; laN^kaayaam = in Lanka.
"O gentle one! This s my paramount desire that I should see this Vibhishana, the brother of Ravana being consecrated for throne in Lanka."
एवमुक्तस्तु सौमित्री राघवेण महात्मना || ६-११२-११
तथेत्युक्त्वा सुसंहृष्टः सौवर्णम् घटमाददे |
11. evam = thus; uktaH = spoken; mahaatmanaa = by the great souled; raaghaveNa = Rama; saumitriH = Lakshmana; uktvaa tatheti = saying; "so it be"; susamhR^iShTaH = and rejoicingly; aadade = procured; sauvarNam = a golden; ghaTam = pot.
Hearing the words of the great soled Rama, Lakshmana replied, 'so it be' and rejoicingly procured a golden pot.
तं घटं वानरेन्द्राणाम् हस्ते दत्त्वा मनोजवान् || ६-११२-१२
व्यादिदेश महासत्त्वः समुद्रसलिलं तदा |
12. mahaasattvaH = that mighty Lakshmana; tadaa = then; dattvaa = placing; tam = that; ghaTam = pot; haste = in the hands; vaanerendraaNaam = of the monkey-chiefs; vyaadidesha = instructed; manojavaan = them; who were as swift as thought; samudra salilam = (to bring) sea-water.
That mighty Lakshmana, then placing that pot in the hands of the monkey-chiefs, instructed them, who were as swift as thought, to bring sea-water.
अतिशीघ्रम् ततो गत्वा वानरास्ते मनोजवाः || ६-११२-१३
आगतास्तु जलं गृह्य समुद्राद्वानरोत्तमाः |
13. tataH = thereupon; te vaanarottamaaH = those excellent monkeys; manojavaaH = with the swiftness of thought; gattvaa = moving; atishiighram = very quickly; aagataaH = returned; gR^ihya = having obtained; jalam = the water; samudraat = from the sea.
Thereupon, those excellent monkeys, with the swiftness of thought, moving very quickly from that place, returned, having obtained the water from the sea.
ततस्त्वेकं घटं गृह्य संस्थाप्य परमासने || ६-११२-१४
घटेन तेन सौमित्रिरभ्यषिञ्चद्विभीषणम् |
लङ्कायां रक्षसां मध्ये राजानं रामशासनात् || ६-११२-१५
विधिना मन्त्रदृष्टेन सुहृद्गणसमावृतः |
14-15. tataH = thereafter; saumitriH = Lakshmana; suhR^idgaNa samaavR^itaH = together with his friends; gR^ihya = taking; ekam = one; ghaTam = pot; vibhiishaNam samsthaapya = making Vibhishana to sit; paramaasane = on the throne; abhyaShiN^chat = sprinkled (him); tena ghaTena = (with sea-water) from that pot; vidhinaa = in accordance with the rule (in Vedic scriptures); rakShasaam madhye = in the middle of the demons; raajaanaam = to make him the king; laN^kaayaam = for the kingdom of Lanka; raama shaasanaat = as directed by Rama.
Thereupon, Lakshmana together with his friends, taking one pot and making Vibhishana to sit on the throne, sprinkled him with sea-water from that pot in accordance with the rule prescribed in Vedic scriptures, while the demons were witnessing the ceremony, to make him the king for Lanka, as directed by Rama.
अभ्यषिञ्चंस्तदा सर्वे राक्षसा वानरास्तथा || ६-११२-१६
प्रहर्षमतुलं गत्वा तुष्टुवू राममेव ह |
16. tadaa = then; sarve raakShasaaH = all the demons; tathaa = as well as; vaanaraaH = the monkeys; abhyaShiN^chan = consecrated; (Vibhishana); gatvaa = having obtained; atulam praharSham = extra ordinary delight; tuShTuvuH = (they) eulogized; raameva hi = Rama indeed.
Then, all the demons as well as the monkeys consecrated Vibhishana. Having gained extra ordinary delight, they indeed eulogized Rama.
तस्यामात्या जहृषिरे भक्ता ये चास्य राक्षसाः || ६-११२-१७
दृष्ट्वाभिष्क्तं लङ्कायां राक्षसेन्द्रं विभीषणम् |
17. dR^iShTvaa = seeing; vibhiiShaNam = Vibhishana; raakShasendram = the lord of demons; abhShiktam = consecrated; laN^kaayaam = for the throne of Lanka; tasya = his; amaatyaaH = (four) counsellors; ye raakShasaaH = and those demons; asya bhaktaaH = who were devoted to him; jahR^iShire = were rejoiced.
Seeing Vibhishana the lord of demons consecrated for the throne of Lanka, his four counsellors who were always together with him and such of those demons who were devoted to him, were rejoiced.
राघवः प्रमां प्रीतिं जगाम सहलक्ष्मणः || ६-११२-१८
स तद्राज्यं महत्प्राप्य रामदत्तं विभीषणः |
18. raaghavaH = Rama; saha lakShmaNaH = together with Lakshmana; jagaama = obtained; paramaam = great; priitim = delight; saH = that; vibhiiShaNaH = Vibhishana; praapya = having gained; tat mahat raajyam = that great kingdom; raama dattam = bestowed on him by Rama; (was also greatly delighted).
Rama together with Lakshmana were greatly delighted. That Vibhishana, having gained that great kingdom bestowed on him by Rama, was also greatly delighted.
प्रकृतीः सान्त्ययित्वा च ततो राममुपागमत् || ६-११२-१९
दध्यक्षतान् मोदकांश्च लाजाः सुमनसस्तथा |
आजह्रुरथ संतुष्टाः पौरास्तस्मै निशाचराः || ६-११२-२०
19-20. saantvayitvaa = after consoling; prakR^itiiH = his people; tataH = (Vibhishana) then; upaagamat = approached; raamam = Rama; tataH = then; nishaacharaaH = the demons; pauraaH = who were residing in the city; samtuShTaaH = were quite delighted; aajahruH = and brought; tasmaiH = to him; (by way of presents) dadhi = curds; akShataan = unbroken grains of rice; modakaamshcha = sweets shaped like balls; laajaaH = parched grains of unhusked rice; tathaa = and; sumanasaH = flower also.
After consoling his people, Vibhishana then sought to presence of Rama. Now, the demons who were residing in the city were quite delighted and brought to him (by way of presents) curds, unbroken grains of rice, sweets shaped like balls, parched grains of unhusked rice and flowers too.
स तान् गृहीत्वा दुर्धर्षो राघवाय न्यवेदयत् || ६-११२-२१
माङ्गल्यं मङ्गलं सर्वं लक्ष्मणाय च वीर्यवान् |
21. gR^ihiitvaa = accepting; taan = them; viiryavaan = the valiant; saH = Vibhishana; durdharShaH who was unconquerable; nyavedayat = offered; sarvam = all; maaN^galyam = those auspicious objects; raaghavaaya = to Rama; lakShmaNaaya = and to Lakshmana; mangalam = happily.
Accepting them, the valiant and unconquerable Vibhishana happily offered all those auspicious objects to Rama and Lakshmana.
कृतकार्यं समृद्धार्थं दृष्ट्वा रामो विभीषणम् || ६-११२-२२
प्रतिजग्राह तत्सर्वं तस्यैव प्रियकाम्यया |
22. dR^iShTvaa = seeing; vibhiiShaNam = Vibhishana; kR^ita kaaryam = who had accomplished his act; samR^iddhaartham and increased his resources; raamaH = Rama; pratijagraaha = accepted; tat = it; sarvam = all; tasya priya kaamyayaa eva = with a sole desire to show gracefulness to him.
Seeing Vibhishana, who had accomplished his act and increased his resources, Rama accepted it all, with a sole desire to show gratefulness to him.
ततह् शैलोपमं वीरं प्राञ्जलिं प्रणतं स्थितम् || ६-११२-२३
उवाचेदं वचो रामो हनूमन्तं प्लवङ्गमम् |
23. taaH = thereupon; raamaH = Rama; uvaacha = spoke; idam vachaH = the following words; viira hanuumantam = to the valiant;plavaN^gamam = the monkey; shailopamam = who was equal in size to a mountain; sthitam = and who was standing; praNatam = humbly; praaN^jalim = with his palms joined together for salutation.
Thereupon, Rama spoke the following words to the valiant Hanuma the monkey who was equal in size to a mountain and who was standing in humility, with his hands joined in salutation.
अनुज्ज़्नाप्य महाराजमिमं सौम्य विभीषणम् || ६-११२-२४
प्रविश्य नगरीं लङ्कां कौशलं ब्रूहिमैथिलीम् |
24. saumya = O the benevolent one!; anujJNaapya = taking permission from; imam vibhiiShaNam = this Vibhishana; maahaaraajam = the great king; praveshya = and entering into; laN^kaam nagarim = the City of Lanka; bruuhi = inform; kaushalam = about our welfare; maithiliim = to Seetha.
"O the benevolent one! Taking permission from this Vibhishana, the great king and entering into the City of Lanka, inform about our welfare to Seetha."
वैदेह्यै मां कुशलिनं सुग्रीवं च सलक्ष्मणम् || ६-११२-२५
अचक्ष्व वदतां श्रेष्ठ रावणं च हतं रणे |
25. shreShTha vadataam = O Hanuma; the proficient one in speech!; aachakShva = tell; vaidehyai = Seetha; (that); maam = myself; sa lakShmaNam = along with Lakshmana; sugriivam cha = and Sugreeva; kushalinam = are well; raavaNam = and that Ravana; hatam = had been killed; raNe = in battle.
"O Hanuma, the proficient one in speech! Inform Seetha that myself together with Lakshmana and Sugreeva are well and that Ravana had been killed in battle."
प्रियमेतदुदाहृत्य वैदेह्यस्त्वं हरीश्वर || ६-११२-२६
प्रतिगृह्य च संदेशमुपावर्तितुमर्हसि |
26. hariishvara = O the master of monkeys!; udaahR^itya = making clear; etat = this; priyam = favourite news; vaidehyaaH = to Seetha; arhasi = you ought; upaavartitum = to return; pratigR^ihya = taking back; samdesham = her message.
"O Hanuma the master of monkeys! Making clear this favourite news to Seetha, you ought to return, taking back her message."
- - - -
इत्यार्षे श्रीमद्रामायणे आदिकाव्ये युद्धकाण्डे द्वादशाधिकशततमः सर्गः
|Top of Page||1||2||3||4|
© July 2009, K. M. K. Murthy