Matali, Indra's charioteer leaves the battle-field and returns to his heaven. Then, Rama instructs Lakshmana to arrange for the installation of Vibhishana on the throne of Lanka. Lakshmana arranges to get sea-water from some monkey-chiefs and sprinkles it on vibhishana, to instal him as the King of Lanka, in the presence of the demons there. Then, Rama sends his message to Seetha through Hanuma.
te rāvaṇavadhaṃ dṛṣṭvā devagandharvadānavāḥ |
jagmuḥ svaiḥ svai rvimānaiste kathayantaḥ śubhāḥ kathāḥ || 6-112-1
1. dR^iShTvaa = Having seen; raavaNa vadham = the destruction of Ravana; te = those; devagandharvadaanavaaH = gods; Gandharvas the celestial musicians and the demons; jagmuH = went away; svaiH svaiH vimaanaiH = in their respective aerial cars; te kathayantaH = narrating as they were; shubhaaH kathaaH = about the auspicious narratives.
Having seen the destruction of Ravana, those gods, celestial musicians and demons, while chatting about the auspicious narrative, went away in their respective aerial cars.
rāvaṇasya vadhaṃ ghoraṃ rāghavasya parākramam |
suyuddhaṃ vānarāṇāṃ ca sugrīvasya ca mantritam || 6-112-2
anurāgaṃ ca vīryaṃ ca saumitre rlakṣmaṇasya ca |
pativratātvam sītāyā hanūmati parākramam || 6-112-3
kathayanto mahābhāgā jagmurhṛṣṭa yathāgatam |
2-3. kathayantaH = chatting themselves about; ghoram vadham = the awful destruction; raavaNasya = of Ravana; raaghavasya paraakramam = the prowess of Rama; vaanaraaNaam suyuddham = the admirable combat of the monkeys; sugrivasya mantritam = the counsel of Sugreeva; anuraagam cha viiryam cha = the affection and the valour; lakShmaNasya = of Lakshmana; saumitreH = the son of Sumitra; pativrataatvam siitaayaaH = the loyalty of Seetha to her husband; hanumati paraakramam = and the strength; mahaabhaagaaH = the illustrious gods and others; of Hanuma; hR^iShTaaH = were rejoiced; jagmuH = and returned; yathaagatam = as they had come.
Chatting themselves about the awful destruction of Ravana, the terrific prowess of Rama, the admirable combat of the monkeys, the counsel tendered by Sugreeva, the affection and valour of Lakshmana; the son of Sumitra; the loyaltyof Seetha to her husband and about the strength of Hanuma, the illustrious celestials and others rejoicingly returned as they had come.
rāghavastu rathaṃ divyamindradattaṃ śikhiprabham || 6-112-4
anujñāya mahābāhurmātaliṃ pratyapūjayat |
4. anujJNaaya = taking leave; divyam ratham = of the celestial chariot; indradattam = which had been given by Indra the lord of celestials; shikhiprabham = and which = shone like fire; mahaabaahuH = the mighty armed; raaghavastu = Rama; pratya puujayat = respectfully saluted; maatalim = Matali.
Taking leave of the celestial chariot, which had been given by Indra the lord of celestials and which shone like fire, the mighty armed Rama respectfully saluted Matali.
rāghaveṇābhyanujñāto mātaliḥ śakrasārathiḥ || 6-112-5
divyaṃ taṃ tathamāsthāya divamevotpapāta ha |
5. abhyanujJNaataH = as assented; raaghaveNa = by Rama; maataliH = Matali; shakrasaarathiH = Indra's charioteer; aasthaaya = mounting; divyam tam ratham = that celestial chariot; utpapaata = ascended; diNameva = to the heaven itself.
As assented by Rama, Matali Indra's charioteer, mounting that celestial chariot, ascended to the heaven itself.
tasmiṃstu divamāruḍhe sarathe rathināṃ varaḥ || 6-112-6
rāghavaḥ paramaprītaḥ sugrīvaṃ pariṣasvaje |
6. tasmin = when that matali; aaruuDhe = ascended; divam = to heaven; sarathe = along with his chariot; raaghavaH = Rama; varaH = the foremost one; rathinaam = among the chariot-warriors; paramapriitaH = was extremely pleased; pariShasvaje = and embraced; sugriivam = Sugreeva.
When Matali ascended to heaven along with his chariot, Rama, the foremost one among the chariot-warriors was highly rejoiced and embraced Sugreeva.
parṣvajya ca sugrīvaṃ lakṣmaṇenābhivāditaḥ || 6-112-7
pūjyamāno harigaṇairājagāma balālayam |
7. pariShvajya cha = having embraced; sugriivam = Sugreeva; abhivaaditaH = and having been greeted; lakShmaNena = by Lakshmana; puujyamaanaH = and having been honoured; harigaNaiH = by the monkey-troops; aajagaama = (Rama) came; balaalayam = to the camp where the army had been stationed.
Having embraced Sugreeva greeted by Lakshmana and having been honoured by the monkey-troops. Rama came to the camp where the army had been stationed.
athovāca sa kākutsthaḥ samīpaparivartinam || 6-112-8
saumitriṃ sattvasaṃpannaṃ lakṣmaṇaṃ śubhalakṣaṇam |
8. atha = then; saH kaakutthsaH = Rama; uvaacha = spoke; (as follows) lakShmaNam = to Lakshmana; saumitrim = the son of Sumitra; sattva sampannam = endowed as he was with strength; shubhalakShaNam = and having auspicious marks; samiipa parivartanam = who stayed nearby.
Then, Rama spoke (as follows) to Lakshmana, son of Sumitra, who was endowed with strength and having auspicious marks, who stayed nearby.
vibhīṣaṇamimaṃ saumya laṅkāyāmabhiṣecaya || 6-112-9
anuraktaṃ ca bhaktaṃ ca tathā pūrvopakāriṇam |
9. saumya = O the benevolent Lakshmana!; abhiShechaya = consecrate; laN^kaayaam = on the throne of Lanka; imam vibhiiShaNam = this Vibhishana; anuraktam = to whom everyone is attached; bhaktam cha = a loyal person; tathaa = and; puurvopakaariNam = the one who has formerly done a service to us.
"O the benevolent Lakshmana! Consecrate on the throne of Lanka, this Vibhishana to whom everyone is attached, a loyal person as he is and the one who has formerly done a service to us."
eṣa me paramaḥ kāmo yadimaṃ rāvaṇānujam || 6-112-10
laṅkāyāṃ saumya paśyeyamabhiṣiktaṃ vibhīṣaṇam |
10. saumya = O gentle one! eShaH = this; me = is my; paramaH = paramount; kaamaH = desire; yat = that; pashyeyam = I should see; imam vibhiiShaNam = this Vibhishana; raavaNaanujam = the brother of Ravana; abhiShiktam = being consecrated for throne; laN^kaayaam = in Lanka.
"O gentle one! This s my paramount desire that I should see this Vibhishana, the brother of Ravana being consecrated for throne in Lanka."
evamuktastu saumitrī rāghaveṇa mahātmanā || 6-112-11
tathetyuktvā susaṃhṛṣṭaḥ sauvarṇam ghaṭamādade |
11. evam = thus; uktaH = spoken; mahaatmanaa = by the great souled; raaghaveNa = Rama; saumitriH = Lakshmana; uktvaa tatheti = saying; "so it be"; susamhR^iShTaH = and rejoicingly; aadade = procured; sauvarNam = a golden; ghaTam = pot.
Hearing the words of the great soled Rama, Lakshmana replied, 'so it be' and rejoicingly procured a golden pot.
taṃ ghaṭaṃ vānarendrāṇām haste dattvā manojavān || 6-112-12
vyādideśa mahāsattvaḥ samudrasalilaṃ tadā |
12. mahaasattvaH = that mighty Lakshmana; tadaa = then; dattvaa = placing; tam = that; ghaTam = pot; haste = in the hands; vaanerendraaNaam = of the monkey-chiefs; vyaadidesha = instructed; manojavaan = them; who were as swift as thought; samudra salilam = (to bring) sea-water.
That mighty Lakshmana, then placing that pot in the hands of the monkey-chiefs, instructed them, who were as swift as thought, to bring sea-water.
atiśīghram tato gatvā vānarāste manojavāḥ || 6-112-13
āgatāstu jalaṃ gṛhya samudrādvānarottamāḥ |
13. tataH = thereupon; te vaanarottamaaH = those excellent monkeys; manojavaaH = with the swiftness of thought; gattvaa = moving; atishiighram = very quickly; aagataaH = returned; gR^ihya = having obtained; jalam = the water; samudraat = from the sea.
Thereupon, those excellent monkeys, with the swiftness of thought, moving very quickly from that place, returned, having obtained the water from the sea.
tatastvekaṃ ghaṭaṃ gṛhya saṃsthāpya paramāsane || 6-112-14
ghaṭena tena saumitrirabhyaṣiñcadvibhīṣaṇam |
laṅkāyāṃ rakṣasāṃ madhye rājānaṃ rāmaśāsanāt || 6-112-15
vidhinā mantradṛṣṭena suhṛdgaṇasamāvṛtaḥ |
14-15. tataH = thereafter; saumitriH = Lakshmana; suhR^idgaNa samaavR^itaH = together with his friends; gR^ihya = taking; ekam = one; ghaTam = pot; vibhiishaNam samsthaapya = making Vibhishana to sit; paramaasane = on the throne; abhyaShiN^chat = sprinkled (him); tena ghaTena = (with sea-water) from that pot; vidhinaa = in accordance with the rule (in Vedic scriptures); rakShasaam madhye = in the middle of the demons; raajaanaam = to make him the king; laN^kaayaam = for the kingdom of Lanka; raama shaasanaat = as directed by Rama.
Thereupon, Lakshmana together with his friends, taking one pot and making Vibhishana to sit on the throne, sprinkled him with sea-water from that pot in accordance with the rule prescribed in Vedic scriptures, while the demons were witnessing the ceremony, to make him the king for Lanka, as directed by Rama.
abhyaṣiñcaṃstadā sarve rākṣasā vānarāstathā || 6-112-16
praharṣamatulaṃ gatvā tuṣṭuvū rāmameva ha |
16. tadaa = then; sarve raakShasaaH = all the demons; tathaa = as well as; vaanaraaH = the monkeys; abhyaShiN^chan = consecrated; (Vibhishana); gatvaa = having obtained; atulam praharSham = extra ordinary delight; tuShTuvuH = (they) eulogized; raameva hi = Rama indeed.
Then, all the demons as well as the monkeys consecrated Vibhishana. Having gained extra ordinary delight, they indeed eulogized Rama.
tasyāmātyā jahṛṣire bhaktā ye cāsya rākṣasāḥ || 6-112-17
dṛṣṭvābhiṣktaṃ laṅkāyāṃ rākṣasendraṃ vibhīṣaṇam |
17. dR^iShTvaa = seeing; vibhiiShaNam = Vibhishana; raakShasendram = the lord of demons; abhShiktam = consecrated; laN^kaayaam = for the throne of Lanka; tasya = his; amaatyaaH = (four) counsellors; ye raakShasaaH = and those demons; asya bhaktaaH = who were devoted to him; jahR^iShire = were rejoiced.
Seeing Vibhishana the lord of demons consecrated for the throne of Lanka, his four counsellors who were always together with him and such of those demons who were devoted to him, were rejoiced.
rāghavaḥ pramāṃ prītiṃ jagāma sahalakṣmaṇaḥ || 6-112-18
sa tadrājyaṃ mahatprāpya rāmadattaṃ vibhīṣaṇaḥ |
18. raaghavaH = Rama; saha lakShmaNaH = together with Lakshmana; jagaama = obtained; paramaam = great; priitim = delight; saH = that; vibhiiShaNaH = Vibhishana; praapya = having gained; tat mahat raajyam = that great kingdom; raama dattam = bestowed on him by Rama; (was also greatly delighted).
Rama together with Lakshmana were greatly delighted. That Vibhishana, having gained that great kingdom bestowed on him by Rama, was also greatly delighted.
prakṛtīḥ sāntyayitvā ca tato rāmamupāgamat || 6-112-19
dadhyakṣatān modakāṃśca lājāḥ sumanasastathā |
ājahruratha saṃtuṣṭāḥ paurāstasmai niśācarāḥ || 6-112-20
19-20. saantvayitvaa = after consoling; prakR^itiiH = his people; tataH = (Vibhishana) then; upaagamat = approached; raamam = Rama; tataH = then; nishaacharaaH = the demons; pauraaH = who were residing in the city; samtuShTaaH = were quite delighted; aajahruH = and brought; tasmaiH = to him; (by way of presents) dadhi = curds; akShataan = unbroken grains of rice; modakaamshcha = sweets shaped like balls; laajaaH = parched grains of unhusked rice; tathaa = and; sumanasaH = flower also.
After consoling his people, Vibhishana then sought to presence of Rama. Now, the demons who were residing in the city were quite delighted and brought to him (by way of presents) curds, unbroken grains of rice, sweets shaped like balls, parched grains of unhusked rice and flowers too.
sa tān gṛhītvā durdharṣo rāghavāya nyavedayat || 6-112-21
māṅgalyaṃ maṅgalaṃ sarvaṃ lakṣmaṇāya ca vīryavān |
21. gR^ihiitvaa = accepting; taan = them; viiryavaan = the valiant; saH = Vibhishana; durdharShaH who was unconquerable; nyavedayat = offered; sarvam = all; maaN^galyam = those auspicious objects; raaghavaaya = to Rama; lakShmaNaaya = and to Lakshmana; mangalam = happily.
Accepting them, the valiant and unconquerable Vibhishana happily offered all those auspicious objects to Rama and Lakshmana.
kṛtakāryaṃ samṛddhārthaṃ dṛṣṭvā rāmo vibhīṣaṇam || 6-112-22
pratijagrāha tatsarvaṃ tasyaiva priyakāmyayā |
22. dR^iShTvaa = seeing; vibhiiShaNam = Vibhishana; kR^ita kaaryam = who had accomplished his act; samR^iddhaartham and increased his resources; raamaH = Rama; pratijagraaha = accepted; tat = it; sarvam = all; tasya priya kaamyayaa eva = with a sole desire to show gracefulness to him.
Seeing Vibhishana, who had accomplished his act and increased his resources, Rama accepted it all, with a sole desire to show gratefulness to him.
tatah śailopamaṃ vīraṃ prāñjaliṃ praṇataṃ sthitam || 6-112-23
uvācedaṃ vaco rāmo hanūmantaṃ plavaṅgamam |
23. taaH = thereupon; raamaH = Rama; uvaacha = spoke; idam vachaH = the following words; viira hanuumantam = to the valiant;plavaN^gamam = the monkey; shailopamam = who was equal in size to a mountain; sthitam = and who was standing; praNatam = humbly; praaN^jalim = with his palms joined together for salutation.
Thereupon, Rama spoke the following words to the valiant Hanuma the monkey who was equal in size to a mountain and who was standing in humility, with his hands joined in salutation.
anujznāpya mahārājamimaṃ saumya vibhīṣaṇam || 6-112-24
praviśya nagarīṃ laṅkāṃ kauśalaṃ brūhimaithilīm |
24. saumya = O the benevolent one!; anujJNaapya = taking permission from; imam vibhiiShaNam = this Vibhishana; maahaaraajam = the great king; praveshya = and entering into; laN^kaam nagarim = the City of Lanka; bruuhi = inform; kaushalam = about our welfare; maithiliim = to Seetha.
"O the benevolent one! Taking permission from this Vibhishana, the great king and entering into the City of Lanka, inform about our welfare to Seetha."
vaidehyai māṃ kuśalinaṃ sugrīvaṃ ca salakṣmaṇam || 6-112-25
acakṣva vadatāṃ śreṣṭha rāvaṇaṃ ca hataṃ raṇe |
25. shreShTha vadataam = O Hanuma; the proficient one in speech!; aachakShva = tell; vaidehyai = Seetha; (that); maam = myself; sa lakShmaNam = along with Lakshmana; sugriivam cha = and Sugreeva; kushalinam = are well; raavaNam = and that Ravana; hatam = had been killed; raNe = in battle.
"O Hanuma, the proficient one in speech! Inform Seetha that myself together with Lakshmana and Sugreeva are well and that Ravana had been killed in battle."
priyametadudāhṛtya vaidehyastvaṃ harīśvara || 6-112-26
pratigṛhya ca saṃdeśamupāvartitumarhasi |
26. hariishvara = O the master of monkeys!; udaahR^itya = making clear; etat = this; priyam = favourite news; vaidehyaaH = to Seetha; arhasi = you ought; upaavartitum = to return; pratigR^ihya = taking back; samdesham = her message.
"O Hanuma the master of monkeys! Making clear this favourite news to Seetha, you ought to return, taking back her message."
- - - -
ityārṣe śrīmadrāmāyaṇe ādikāvye yuddhakāṇḍe dvādaśādhikaśatatamaḥ sargaḥ
|Top of Page||1||2||3||4|
© July 2009, K. M. K. Murthy
Further info on
further information concerning
Secure SFTP (SSH) anywhere, FREE Go FTP Client