Mandodari stares at the dead body of Ravana and laments, recollecting the strength and power of Ravana. But, she realizes that Rama, who killed Ravana, is none other than Vishnu the lord of maintenance of the world. She further laments that Ravana has done a sinful deed in abducting Seetha and that he has faced the consequence in the form of his death; in the hands of Rama. She describes the charming personality and the unconquerable prowess of Ravana, but expresses her surprise how he has been killed by a mortal like Rama. Mandodari's co-wives console her. Meanwhile, Rama asks Vibhishana to perform obsequies to Ravana. Initially, Vibhishana refuses to perform the last rites, but when Rama convinces him, he begins to perform the funeral of Ravana. After the funeral is over, Vibhishana comes and joins Rama, who along with Lakshmana, Sugreeva and others experience happiness for having destroyed their enemy.
तासां विलपमानानां तथा राक्षसयोषिताम् |
ज्येष्ठा पत्नी प्रिया दीना भर्तारं समुदैक्षत || ६-१११-१
1. taasaam = (While) those; raakShasayoShitaam = consorts; vilapamaanaanaam = were weeping; tadaa = on that occasion; priyaa jyeShTapatnii priyaa = Mandodari; the senior most and wife of beloved Ravana; samudaikShata = stared at; bhartaaram = her husband; diinaa = very miserable as she was feeling.
While those consorts were weeping on that occasion, Mandodari, the senior most and beloved wife of Ravana, who was feeling miserable, stared at her husband.
दशग्रीवन् हतं दृष्ट्वा रामेणाचिन्त्यकर्मणा |
पतिं मन्दोदरी तत्र कृपणा पर्यदेवयत् || ६-१११-२
2. dR^iShTvaa = gazing at; dashagriivam = Ravana; patim = her husband; hatam = who was killed; raameNa = by Rama; achintyakarmaNaa = who was capable of doing unimaginable tasks; maN^Dodarii = Mandodari; tatra = there; paryadevayan = lamented; kR^ipaNaa = miserably(as follows):
Gazing at Ravana, her husband who was killed by Rama of unimaginable exploits, Mandodari there, miserably lamented (as follows):
ननु नाम महाबाहो तव वैश्रवणानुज |
क्रुद्धस्य प्रमुखे स्थातुन् त्रस्यत्यपि पुरन्दरः || ६-१११-३
3. mahaabaaho = O the great armed!; vaishraavaNaanuja = O the brother of Kubera!; purandaraH api = even Indra the destroyer of strong holds; trasyati nanu naama = indeed dares not; sthaatum = to stand; tava pramukhe = before you; kruddhasya = when you were enraged.
"O the great armed, the brother of Kubera! Even Indra the destroyer of strongholds, indeed dares not to stand before you, when you were enraged."
ऋषयश्च महीदेवा गन्धर्वाश्च यशस्विनः |
ननु नाम तवोद्वेगाच्चारणाश्च दिशो गताः || ६-१११-४
4. tava udvegaat = because of fear from you; mahaantaH R^iShayaH = the eminent sages; yashasvinaH gandharvaashcha = illustrious Gandharvas the celestial misicians; chaaraNaaH = and Charanas the wandering bards; gataaH naann naama = indeed fled; dishaH = in all directions.
"Because of fear from you, eminent sages, illustrious Gandharvas the celestial musicians and the wandering bards indeed fled in all directions."
स त्वं मानुषमात्रेण रामेण युधि निर्जितः |
न व्यपत्रपसे राजन् किमिदं राक्षसर्षभ || ६-१११-५
5. raakShaseshvara = O the lord of demons!; raajan = O king!; kim = how; idam = is it; saH tvam na vyapatrapase = that you are not ashamed; nirjitaH = though conquered; yudhi = in battle; raameNa = by Rama; maanuSha maatreNa = a mere mortal?
"O the lord of demons! O king! How is it that you are not ashamed, though you were conquered in battle, by Rama, a mere mortal?"
कथन् त्रैलोक्यमाक्रम्य श्रिया वीर्येण चान्वितम् |
अविषह्यन् जघान त्वं मानुषो वनगोचरः || ६-१११-६
6. katham = How; maanuShaH = did a mortal; vanagocharaH = wandering in a forest; jaghaana = killed; tvaam = you; aakramya = who; having overcome; trailokyam = the three worlds; aviShahyam = and irresistible; anvitam = being endowed; shriyaa = with glory; viiryeNa = and prowess?
"How did a mortal, wandering in a forest, killed you, who having overcome the three worlds by dint of your prowess, had grown irresistible and were endowed with glory?"
मानुषाणामविषये चरतः कामरूपिणः |
विनाशस्तव रामेण सन्युगे नोपपद्यते || ६-१११-७
7. nopapadyate = it is not possible; vinaashaH = of annihilator; tava = of yourself; charataH = who lived; aviShaye maanuShaaNaan = in a place not accessible to men; kaamaruupiNaH = and were able to assume any form at your will; raameNa = by Rama; samyuge = in battle.
"It is not possible of annihilation of yourself, who lived in a place not accessible to men and was able to assume any form at your will, by Rama in battle."
न चैतत्कर्म रामस्य श्रद्दधामि चमूमुखे |
सर्वतः समुपेतस्य तव तेनाभिमर्शनम् || ६-१११-८
8. na shraddhadhaami = I do not believe; etat = this; karma = act; raamasya = of Rama; chamuumukhe = in the battle-front; (nor do I believe); abhimarShaNam = of the attack; tena = by him; tava = of your army; sarvataH samupetasya = fully equipped with all implements of war.
"I do not believe this act of Rama in the battle-front, nor do I believe of the attack by him, on your army, fully equipped with all the implements of war."
यदैव च जनस्थाने राक्षनैर्बहुभिर्वृतः |
खरस्तव हतो भ्राता तदैवानौ न मानुषः || ६-१११-९
9. tadaiva tava bhraataa = the moment your brother; kharaH = Khara; hataH = was killed; asau = by Rama; janasthaane = in Janasthana; vR^itaH = though surrounded; bahubhiH raakShasai = by a multitude of demons; (it became evident that) na maanuShaH = Rama was really no mortal.
"The moment your brother Khara was killed by Rama in Janasthana, though surrounded by a multitude of demons, it became evident that Rama was really no mortal."
यदिअव नगरीं लङ्कां दुष्प्रवेशां सुरैरपि |
प्रविष्टो हनुमान्वीर्यात्तदैव व्यथिता वयम् || ६-१११-१०
10. vayam = we; vyathitaaH = felt painful; yadaiva tadaiva = the moment; hanumaan = Hanuma; praviShaTaH = penetrated; viiryaat = by dint of his prowess; laN^kaam nagariim = into the city of Lanka; duShpraveshaam = which was difficult to be entered; surairapi = even for gods.
"We felt painful, the moment Hanuma penetrated, by dint of his prowess, deep into the City of Lanka, which was difficult to be entered even for gods."
यदिअव वानरैर्घोरैर्बद्दः सेतुर्महार्णवे |
तदैव हृदयेनाहं शङ्के रामममानुषम् || ६-१११-११
11. yadaiva = the day when; ghoraiH = the terrific; vaanaraiH = monkeys; baddhaH = built; setuH = a bridge; mahaarNave = on the great ocean; tadaiva = that day itself; aham = I; shaN^ke = believed; hR^idayena = in my mind; raamam = (that) Rama; amaanuSham = was not an ordinary mortal.
"The day when the terrific monkeys built a bridge on the great ocean, that day itself I believed that Rama was not an ordinary mortal."
अथवा रामरूपेण कृतान्तः स्वयमागतः |
मायां तव विनाशाय विधायाप्रतितर्किताम् || ६-१११-१२
12. athavaa = otherwise; tava vinaashaaya = for your destruction; kR^itaantaH = Yama the lord of Death; aagataH = came; svayam = himself; raama ruupeNa = assuming the form of Rama; vidhaaya = having arranged; apratitarkitaam = an unimaginable; maayam = illusion.
"Otherwise, for your destruction, Yama, the lord of Death came himself assuming the form of Rama having arranged an unimaginable form of illusion."
अथवा वासवेन त्वं धर्षितोऽसि महाबल |
वासवस्य तु का शक्तिस्त्वां द्रष्टुमपि संयुगे || ६-१११-१३
13. mahaabala = O the mighty lord!; athavaa = otherwise; tvam = you; dharShitaH asi = might have been overpowered; vaasavena = by Indra the lord of celestials; tu = but; vaasavasya = for Indra; kaa shaktiH = where is the capacity; tvaam draShTumapi = even to behold you; samyuge = in battle?
"O the mighty lord! Otherwise, you might have been overpowered by Indra the lord of celestials. But for Indra, where is the capacity even to behold you in battle?
व्यक्तमेष महायोगी परमात्मा सनातनः |
अनादिमध्यनिधनो महतः परमो महान् || ६-१११-१४
तमसः परमो धाता शङ्खचक्रगदाधरः |
श्रीवत्सवक्षा नित्यश्रीरजय्यः शाश्वतो ध्रुवः || ६-१११-१५
मानुषं रूपमास्थाय विष्णुः सत्यपराक्रमः |
सर्वैः परिवृतो देवैर्वानरत्वमुपागतैः || ६-१११-१६
सर्वलोकेश्वरः श्रीमान् लोकानां हितकाम्यया |
सराक्षस परीवारम् हतवांस्त्वां महाद्युतिः || ६-१११-१७
14-17. eShaH = this Rama; vyaktam = is certainly; mahaayogii = a great ascetic; sanaatanaH = an eternal person; anaadimaadhya nidhanaH = having no beginning; middle or end; mahaan paramaH = greater person; mahataH = than distinguished persons like Brahma; tamasaH paramaH = the one beyond ignorance; dhaataa = the nourisher; shaN^kha chakragadaadharaH = wielding a couch; a disc and a mace; shriivatsa vakShaaH = wearing the 'Srivatsa' mark on his chest; nitya shriiH = of lasting beauty; ajayyaH = incapable of being conquered; shaashvataH = a perpetual person; dhruvaH = being constant; paramaatmaa = soul of the universe; satya paraakramaH = truly mighty; sarva lokeshvaraH = the lord of all the worlds; shriimaan = the prosperous one; mahaadyutiH = having a great splendour; viShNuH = and Vishnu the lord of maintenance of the world; hitakaamyayaa = with a wish for the benefit; lokaanaam = of the worlds; aasthaaya = assuming; maanuShaM ruupam = a human form; parivR^itaH = surrounded; sarvaiH daivaiH = by all the gods; upaagataiH = who assumed; vaanaratvam = the form of monkeys; (Rama) hatavaan = killed; tvaam = you; saraakShapariivaaram = surrounded with demons.
"This Rama is certainly a great ascetic, an eternal person, having no beginning middle or end, greater than distinguished universal spirit like Brahma, the one beyond ignorance, the nourisher, wielding a conch, a disc and a mace, wearing the 'Srivatsa' mark on his chest, of lasting beauty, incapable of being conquered, a perpetual one, being the constant soul of the universe, truly mighty, the lord of all the worlds, the prosperous one having a great splendour and Vishnu, the lord of maintenance of the world with a wish to benefit the worlds, assuming a human form surrounded by all the gods in the form of monkeys, Rama killed you, surrounded by demons.
इन्द्रियाणि पुरा जित्वा जितन् त्रिभुवणं त्वया |
स्मरद्भिरिव तद्वैरमिन्द्रियैरेव निर्जितः || ६-१११-१८
18. puraa = in the past indriyaaNi = the senses; conquered; tvayaa = by you; tribhuvanam = the three worlds; jitam = were conquered; smaradbhiH iva = as though revenging; tat vairam = that enmity; tvam = you; nirjitaH = were conquered; indriyaireva = by those very senses.
"In the past, by performing a great penance, you conquered the senses and conquered the three worlds. Now, as if revenging that enmity, those very senses conquered you."
यदैव हि जनस्थाने राक्षसैर्बहुभिर्वृतः |
खरस्तव हतो भ्राता तदैवासौ न मानुषः || ६-१११-१९
यदैव नगरीन् लङ्कान् दुष्प्रवेषां सुरैरपि |
प्रविष्टो हनुमान्वीर्यात्तदैव व्यथिता वयम् || ६-१११-२०
19-20. tadaiva tava bhraataa = the moment your brother; kharaH = Khara; hataH = was killed; asau = by Rama; janasthaane = in Janasthana; vR^itaH = though surrounded; bahubhiH raakShasai = by a multitude of demons; (it became evident that) na maanuShaH = Rama was really no mortal.
"The moment your brother Khara was killed by Rama in Janasthana, though surrounded by a multitude of demons, it became evident that Rama was really no mortal. We felt perturbed, the moment Hanuma penetrated, by dint of his prowess, deeply into the City of Lanka, which was difficult to be entered even for gods."
क्रियतामविरोधश्च राघवेणेति यन्मया |
उच्यमानो न गृह्णासि तस्येयन् व्युष्टिरागता || ६-१११-२१
21. iyam vyuShTiH = this evil result; aagataa = has come; (upon you); tasya yat = since; na gR^ihNaasi = you did not heed to; uchyamaanam mayaa = my advice; iti = that; avirodhaH = no hostility; kriyataam = should be entered into; raaghaveNa = with Rama.
"This evil result has come upon you, since you did not heed to my advice, saying that no hostility should be entered into with Rama."
अकस्माच्चाभिकामोअसि सीतान् राक्षसपुङ्गव |
ऐश्वर्यस्य विनाशाय देहस्य स्वजनस्य च || ६-१११-२२
22. raakShasapungava = O the foremost of demons!; vinaashaaya = for the annihilation; aishvaryasya = of your power; dehasya = of your body; svajanasya = and of your own people; asi = you were; abhikaamaH = having a desire; akasmaat = suddenly; siitaam = for Seetha.
"O the foremost of demons! For the annihilation of your power, your body and your own people, you conceived a desire for Seetha suddenly."
अरुन्धत्या विशिष्टान् तान् रोहिण्याश्चापि दुर्मते |
सीतान् धर्षयता मान्यां त्वया ह्यसदृशं कृतम् || ६-१११-२३
23. durmati = O the foolish one!; asadR^isham = an unworthy act; kR^itam hi = was indeed done; tvayaa = by you; dharShayataa = in offending; siitaam = Seetha; vishiShTaam = who was more distinguished; maanyaam = and more respectable; arundhatyaaH = than Arundhati; (wife of Sage Vasishta); rohiNyaashchaapi = and Rohini (the principal spouse of moon-god).
"O the foolish one! An unworthy act was indeed done by you, in offending Seetha, who was more distinguished and more respectable than Arundhati (wife of sage Vasishta) and Rohini (the principal spouse of moon-god)."
वसुधाया हि वसुधां श्रियः श्रीं भर्तृवत्सलाम् |
सीतां सर्वानवद्याङ्गीमरण्ये विजने शुभाम् || ६-१११-२४
आनयित्वा तु तां दीनां चद्मनात्मस्वदूषण |
अप्राप्य तं चैव कामं मैथिलीसंगमे कृतम् || ६-१११-२५
पतिव्रतायास्तपसा नूनं दग्धोऽसि मे प्रभो |
24-25. me prabho = O my lord; aatma svaduuShaNa = who annihilated yourself and your people!; vasudhaam = Seetha is the model of forbearance; vasudhaayaaH = even to Goddess Earth; shriim = and model of grace; shriyaH = to Lakshmi; the goddess of fortune and charm; bhartR^ivatsalaam = she is extremely fond of her husband; chhadmanaa = by recourse to a fraud; anayitvaa = in bringing; taam siitaam = that Seetha; vijane araNye = who was living in a lonely forest; sarvaanavadyaaNgiim = who was faultless of every limb; shubhaam = and charming; diinaam = though miserable; aatma svaduuShaNa = due to your own fault; apraapyachaiva = and having failed to fulfill; tam kaamam = that desire; maithiliisamgame = cherished by you for union with Seetha; nuunam dagdhaH asi = you have surely been consumed; tapasaa = by the asceticism of that woman; pativrataayaaH = devoted to her husband.
"O my lord, who annihilated yourself and your people! Seetha is the model of forbearance even to the Goddess Earth and a model of grace to Lakshmi, the goddess of fortune and charm. She is extremely fond of her husband. By a recourse to a fraud in bringing that Seetha in a lonely forest, faultless in every limb as she was, and charming though miserable, and having failed to fulfill your desire for union with Seetha and due to your own fault you have been surely consumed by the asceticism of that woman, devoted as she was to her husband."
तदैव यन्न दग्धस्त्वं धर्षयंस्तनुमध्यमाम् || ६-१११-२६
देवा बिभ्यत ते सर्वे सेन्द्राः साग्निपुरोगमाः |
26. (It is because) devaaH = the gods; sendraaH = together with Indra the ruler of gods; saagnipurogamaaH = including those headed by the fire-god; abhibhyata = fear; te = you; na dagdhaH iti yat = that you were not consumed; tadaiva = even while; tvam = you; dharShayan = were laying violent hands; tanu madhya maam = on Seetha; the slender-waisted woman.
"It is because, the gods together with Indra the ruler of gods including those headed by the fire-god fear you, that you were not consumed even while you were laying hands on Seetha, the slender-waisted woman."
अवश्यमेव लभते फलं पापस्य कर्मणः |
घोरं पर्यागते काले कर्ता नास्त्यत्र संशयः || ६-१११-२७
27. atra naasti samshayaH = there is no doubt; kaale paryaagate = that when the time comes; kartaa = the doer; avashvameva = surely; labhate = reaps; ghoram = a harsh; phalam = fruit; paapasya karmaNaH = of his sinful deed.
"There is no doubt that when the time comes, the doer surely reaps a harsh fruit of his sinful deed."
शुभकृच्छुभमाप्नोति पापकृत्पापमश्नुते |
विभीषणः सुखं प्राप्तस्त्वं प्राप्तः पापमीदृशम् || ६-१११-२८
28. shubhakR^it = the doer of an auspicious act; aaproti = obtains; shubham = happiness; paapakR^it = the doer of a sinful act; ashnute = reaps; paapam = misery; vibhiishanaH = (While) Vibhishana; praaptaH = has obtained; sukham = happiness; tvam = you; praaptaH = met; iidR^isham paapam = with such an evil destiny.
"The doer of an auspicious act obtains happiness, while the doer of a sinful act reaps misery. While Vibhishana has obtained happiness, you met with such an evil destiny."
सन्त्यन्याः प्रमदास्तुभ्यं रूपेणाभ्यधिकास्ततः |
अनङ्गवशमापन्नस्त्वं तु मोहान्न बुध्यसे || ६-१११-२९
29. santi = there are; anyaaH pramadaaH = other women; abhyadhikaaH = more excellent; ruupeNa = in form; tataH = than Seetha; tubhyam = for you; aapannah = Having got into; anN^ga vasham = the power of passion; mohaat = and from ignorance; tvam tu = you; however; na budhyase = could not know it.
"There are other women, more excellent in form than Seetha for you in your gynaecium. Having fallen a prey to the power of passion, you did not know it through ignorance."
न कुलेन न रूपेण न दाक्षिण्येन मैथिली |
मयाधिका वा तुल्या वा त्वन् तु मोहान्न बुध्यसे || ६-१११-३०
30. maithili = Seetha; na tulyaa = is no match; mayaa = for me; kulena vaa = in birth; na adhikaavaa = much less superior to me; rupeNa = in beauty of form; na daakShiNyena = nor in amiability; tvam = you; na budhyase = did not perceive; tat = this; mohaat = through infatuation.
"Seetha is no match for me either in birth or in beauty or in amiability. You did not perceive this through infatuation."
सर्वथा सर्वभूतानां नास्ति मृत्युरलक्षणः |
तव तावदयं मृत्युर्मैथिलीकृतलक्षणः || ६-१११-३१
31. sarvadaa = at any time; naasti = there is no; alakShaNaH = causeless; mR^ityuH = death; sarva bhuutaanaam = for any living being; tava taavat = as for you; ayam maithiliikR^ita lakShaNaH = the cause is in the form of this Seetha.
"At any time, there is no causeless death for any living being. As for you, this Seetha has become a cause."
सीतानिमित्तजो मृत्युस्त्वया दूरादुपाहृतः |
मैथिली सह रामेण विशोका विहरिष्यति || ६-१११-३२
32. tvayaa = by you; mR^ityuH = the death; siitaanimittajaH = born from a cause in the form of Seetha; upaahR^itaH = was brought; duuraat = from a distance; maithilii = Seetha; vishokaa = free from sorrow; vihariShyati = will be enjoying herself; raameNa saha = with Rama.
"Death which was brought about on account of Seetha was invited by you from a far-off distance. Free from sorrow, Seetha will now be enjoying herself with Rama."
अल्पपुण्या त्वहन् घोरे पतिता शोकसागरे |
कैलासे मन्दरे मेरौ तथा चैत्ररथे वने || ६-१११-३३
देवोद्यानेषु सर्वेषु विहृत्य सहिता त्वया |
विमानेनानुरूपेण या याम्यतुलया श्रिया || ६-१११-३४
पश्यन्ती विविधान्देशान्स्तान्स्तांश्चित्रस्रगम्बरा |
भ्रंशिता कामभोगेभ्यः सास्मि वीरवधात्तव || ६-१११-३५
33-35. aham tu = I; however; alpa puNyaa = whose stock of merit was deficient; patitaa = have fallen; ghore shoka saagare = into a terrific ocean of grief; yaa = I; who; vihR^itya = having enjoyed myself with you; kailaaseha = in Mount Kailasa; anurupena vimaanena = in suitable aericars; mandare = Mount Mandara; merau = Mount Meru; chaitrarathe vane = in the grove named Chaitraratha; tathaa = and; sarveShu = in all; devodyaaneShu = celestial gardens; (decked as I was) chitrasragambaraa = with lovely garlands and clad in colourful robes; atulayaa shriyaa = and invested in matchless splendour; yaami = visiting and; pashyantii = seeing; taan taan vividhaan deshaan = various lands of every description; bhramshitaa asmi = have now been deprived; kaama bhogebhyaH = of all sense-enjoyments; tava vadhaat = because of your death; siava = though the same; samvR^ittaa asmi = I stand transformed; anyena = into another as it were; dhik = woe be; chaNchalaa = to the flickering; shriyaH = fortunes; raajJnaam = of kings!
"I, however, whose stock of merit was deficient, have fallen into a terrific ocean of grief. I, who having enjoyed myself with you in suitable aerial cars in Mount Kailasa, mount Mandara, Mount Meru and in a grove named Chaitraratha and in all celestial gardens, decked as was with lovely garlands and clad in colorful robes and invested in matchless splendour, visiting and seeing various lands of every description have now been deprived of all sense- enjoyments because of your death. Though the same, I stand transformed into another as it were. Woe be to the flickering fortunes of kings!"
हा राजन् सुकुमारं ते सुभ्रु सुत्वक्समुन्नसम् || ६-१११-३६
किरीटकूटोज्ज्वलितं ताम्रास्यं दीप्तकुण्डलम् || ६-१११-३७
मदव्याकुललोलाक्षं भूत्वा यत्पानभूमिषु |
विविधस्रग्धरं चारु वल्गुस्मितकथं शुभम् || ६-१११-३८
तदेवाद्य तवैवं हि वक्त्रं न भ्राजते प्रभो |
रामसायकनिर्भिन्नं रक्तं रुधिरविस्रवैः || ६-१११-३९
वीशीर्णमेदोमस्तिष्कं रूक्षम् स्यन्दनरेणुभिः |
36-39. haa! raajan = Alas; O king!; prabho = O lord!; yat vaktram = that face of yours; sukumaaram = which was so tender; subhru = and distinguished by charming eye-brows; sutvak = a glossy surface; samunnasam = having an exceptionally prominent nose; taamraasyam = coppery lips; diipta kuN^Dalam = and brilliant ear-rings; tulyam indupadma divaakaraiH = which vied with the mood; the lotus and the sun; kaanti shrii dyutibhiH = in loveliness light; and luster; kiriiTakuuTojjvalitam = was illumined by a number of diadems; bhuutvaa madavyaakula lolaakSham = which shone with its eyes wild and rolling through inebriety; paana bhuumiShu = in banqueting places; vividdha sragdharam = bore garlands of various kinds; chaaru = was lovely and charming (in every way); valgusmita shubham katham = was lit with a captivating smile and indulged in a delightful talk; tava tadeva = that face of yours; na bhraajate = does not actually sine; adya = as before today;
"Alas, O king! That face of yours which was so tender, O lord, and distinguished by charming eye-brows, a gloss surface, having an exceptionally prominent nose, coppery lips and brilliant ear-rings, which vied with the moon the lotus and the sun in loveliness, light and luster, was illumined by a number of diadems, which shone with its eyes wild and rolling through inebriety in banqueting places, bore garlands of various kinds, was lovely and charming in every way, was lit with a captivating smile and indulged in a delightful talk - that face of yours does not actually shine as before today pierced with Rama's arrows, it lies dyed with streams of blood. It has its marrow shattered and has got soiled through the dust raised by the chariots."
हा पश्चिमा मे संप्राप्त दशा वैधव्यदायिनी || ६-१११-४०
या मयासीन्न संबुद्धा कदाचिदपि मन्दया |
40. haa = Alas!; pashchimaa dashaa = the last stage of my life; vaidhavya daayinii = which conferred widow ship; me = on me; sampraaptaa = has come; yaa = and which was; na asiit kadaachitapi = never at any time; sambuddhaa = contemplated; mayaa = be me; mandayaa = a stupid woman (as I am).
"Alas! The last stage of my life, which conferred widow ship on me, has come and which was never contemplated me at any time; a stupid woman as I am."
पिता दानवराजो मे भर्ता मे राक्षसेश्वरः || ६-१११-४१
पुत्रो मे शक्रनि र्जेता इत्यहं गर्विता भृशम् |
41. aham = I; bhR^isham garvitaa = was very much proud; iti = that; me pitaa = my father; daanavaraajaH = was a king of demons; me bhartaa = my husband; raakShaseshvaraH = was a lord of demons; me putraH = and my son; shakra nirjetaa = was a conqueror of Indra the lord of celestials.
"I was very much proud that my father was king of demons, my husband a lord of demons and my son, a conqueror of Indra the lord of celestials."
दृप्तारिमर्दनाः शूराः प्रख्यातबलपौरुषाः || ६-१११-४२
अकुतश्चिद्भया नाथा ममेत्यासीन्मतिर्दृढा |
42. dR^iDhaa = the firm; matiH = conviction; aasiit = was there; iti = that; mama naathaaH = my guardians; dR^iptaarimardanaaH = were capable of crushing their arrogant adversaries; shuuraaH prakhyaata bala paursuShaaH = heroes as they were; renowned for their might and valour; akutashchidbhayaaH = and as such had no fear from any quarter.
"I had a firm conviction that my guardians were capable of crushing their arrogant adversaries, heroes as they were, renowned for their might and valour, and as such had no fear from any quarter."
तेषामेवंप्रभावाणां युष्माकं राक्षसर्षभाः || ६-१११-४३
कथं भयमसंबुद्धं मानुषादिदमागतम् |
43. katham = how; idam asambaddham bhayam = did this unknown danger; aagatam = come; maanuShaat = from a mortal; yuShmaakam = to you; teShaam evam prabhaavaaNaam = who were so powerful; raakShasarShabhaaH = O the foremost of demons!
"How did this unknown danger come from a mortal to you, who were so powerful?"
स्निग्देन्द्रनीलनीलं तु प्रांशुशैलोपमं महत् || ६-१११-४४
कान्तं विहारेष्वधिकं दीप्तं संग्रामभूमिषु || ६-१११-४५
भात्यभरणभाभिर्यद्विद्युद्भिरिव तोयदः |
तदेवाद्य शरीरं ते तीक्ष्णैर्नैकशरैश्चितम् || ६-१११-४६
पुनर्दुर्लभसंस्पर्शं परिष्वक्तुं न शक्यते |
श्वाविधः शलकैर्यद्वद्बाणैर्लग्नैर्निरन्तरम् || ६-१११-४७
स्वर्पितैर्मर्मसु भृशं संचिन्नस्नायुबन्धनम् |
क्षितौ निपतितं राजन् श्यामं वै रुधिरच्छवि || ६-१११-४८
व्ज्रप्रहाराभिहतो विकीर्ण इव पर्वतः |
44-48. raajan = O king!; te shariiram = the very body of yours snigdhendraniila niilam = which was really dark as a glossy sapphire; praamshu mahat shailopamam = gigantic like a lofty mountain; keyuuraaNgada vaiduurya muktaahaara sragujjvalam = and resplendent with Keyuras and Angadas (two varieties of armlets); necklace of cat's eye-gems and pearls and wreaths of flowers; adhikam kaantam = which looked more charming; vihaareShu = during pleasure-walks; diiptam = and dazzling; sangraama bhuumiShu = in battle fields; yat = which; bhaati = shone; aabharaNa abhiH = with the lustre of jewels; toyadaH iva = as a rainy cloud; vidyudbhiH = with flashes of lightning; chitam = lies transfixed; tiikShNaiH naikasharaiH = with numerous sharp arrows; adya = today; punaH durlabha samsparsham = though it will be difficult for me to touch it again; na shakyate = it is no longer possible; pariShvaktum = to embrace; tadeva = it; sambhinna snaayubandhanam = it has tendons cut to pieces; baaNaiH = by arrows (of Rama); svarpitaiH = dug deep; marmasu = into your vital parts; lagnaiH = aim closely transfixed; shalakaiH yadvat = like the spines; shvaavidhaH = of a porcupine; shyaam = though spines; shvaavidhaH = of porcupine; shyaam = though dark of complexion; rudhira chhavi = it is now transformed into the colour of blood; nipatitam = and lies fallen; kShitau = on the ground; parvataH iva = like a mountain; vikiirNaH = broken into pieces; vajra prahaaraabhihataH = when hit by a stroke of thunder-bolt.
"O king! The body of yours which was really dark as glossy sapphire, gigantic like a lofty mountain and resplendent with Keyuras and Angadas (two varieties of armlets) and necklace of cat's eye-gems and pearls and wreaths of flowers, which body looked more charming during your pleasure-walks and dazzling in battle-fields, which shone with luster of jewels as a rainy cloud with flashes of lightning lies transfixed in numerous sharp arrows today. Though it will be difficult for me to touch it again, it is no longer possible to embrace it. It has tendons cut to pieces, by arrows of Rama, dug deep into your vital parts and closely transfixed like the spines of a porcupine. Though dark of complexion, it is now transformed into the colour of blood and lies fallen on the ground like a mountain broken into pieces when hit by a stroke of thunder-bolt."
हा स्वप्नः सत्यमेवेदं त्वं रामेण कथं हतः || ६-१११-४९
त्वं मृत्योरपि मृत्युः स्याः कथं मृत्युवशं गतः |
49. haa = Alas!; svapnaH = is it a dream?; idam = is it; satyameva = the reality?; katham = how; hataH = could you be killed; raameNa = by Rama?; syaaH = you were; mR^ityuH = death; mR^ityorapi = even to the death himself katham = how; gataH = did you depart from this world; mR^ityu vasham = falling under the sway of death?.
"Alas! Is it a dream? Is it the reality? But, how could you be killed by Rama? You were the death, even to Death himself. How did you depart from this world, falling under the sway of Death?
त्रैलोक्यवसुभोक्तारं त्रैलोक्योद्वेगदं महत् || ६-१११-५०
जेतारं लोकपालानां क्षेप्तारं शंकरस्य च |
50. trailokyavasu bhortaaram = my husband enjoyed the wealth of all the three worlds; mahat trailokyodvegadam = he gave tremendous fear to the three worlds; jetaaram = he conquered; lokapaalaanaam = the guardians of the worlds; kSheptaaram = and lifted up; shankarasya = Lord Shiva (along with his seat; Mount Kailasa).
"My husband enjoyed the wealth of all the three worlds. He gave tremendous fear to the three worlds. He conquered the guardians of the worlds and lifted up Lord Shiva (along with his seat, Mount Kailasa)."
दृप्तानां निग्रहीतारमाविष्कृतपराक्रमम् || ६-१११-५१
लोकक्षोभयितारं च नादैर्भूतविराविणम् |
51. nigrahiitaaram = (My husband) held down; dR^iptaanaam = the ones who were arrogant; aaviShkR^ita paraakramam = He manifested his prowess; loka kShobhayitaaram = and shook up the worlds; bhuuta viraaviNam = He caused the living beings to weep; naadaiH = with his roars.
"My husband held down those who were arrogant. He manifested his prowess and shook up the worlds. He caused the living beings to weep, with his roars."
ओजसा दृप्तवाक्यानां वक्तारं रिपुसंनिधौ || ६-१११-५२
स्वयूथभृत्यगोप्तारं हन्तारंभीमकर्मणाम् |
52. vaktaaram = he used to utter; dR^iptavaakyaanaam = arrogant words; ojasaa = with vigours; ripusamnidhau = in the presence of his enemies; svayuuthabhR^ityagoptaaram = he was the protector for his troop and to his servants; hantaaram = he was the killer; bhiima karmaNaam = of those who indulged in terrible acts.
"He used to utter arrogant words with vigour in the presence of his enemies. He was the protector for his troop and his servants. He was the killer of those who indulged in terrible acts."
हन्तारं दानवेन्द्राणाम् यक्षाणां च सहस्रशः || ६-१११-५३
निवातकवचानां च संग्रहीतारमाहवे |
53. hantaaram = He was the killer; daanavendraaNaam = of the lords of demons; yakShaNaam cha = and Yakshas the supernatural beings; sahasrashaH = in thousands; samgrahiitaaram = he was drawing the demons called Nivatakavachas to himself; aahave = in battles.
"He was the killer of the lords of demons and Yakshas the super natural beings in thousands. He was drawing to himself, the demons called Nivatakavachas, in battles."
नैकयज्ञविलोप्तारं त्रातारं स्वजनस्य च || ६-१११-५४
धर्मव्यवस्थाभेत्तारं मायास्रष्टारमाहवे |
54. naikayaJNa viloptaaram = my husband ruined several sacrificial performances; traataaram = he was the protector; svajanasya cha = of his own people; dharmavyavasthaabhettaaram = he violated the moral order; maayaasraShTaaram = he created conjuring tricks; aahave = on battle-field.
"My husband ruined several sacrificial performances. He was the protector of his own people. He violated the moral order. He violated the moral order. He created conjuring tricks on the battle-field."
देवासुरनृकन्यानामाहर्तारं ततस्ततः || ६-१११-५५
शत्रुस्त्रीशोकदातारं नेतारं स्वजनस्य च |
55. aahartaaram = he used to bring; devaasura nR^ikanyaanaam = the virgin-daughters of gods; demons and human beings; tatastataH = from here and there; shatrustriishoka daataaram = he brought mourning to his enemy's wives; netaaram = he was the leader; svajanasya = of his own people.
"He used to bring the virgin-daughters of gods, demons and human beings from here and there. He brought mourning to his enemy's wives. He was the leader of his own people."
लङ्काद्वीपस्य गोप्तारं कर्तारं भीमकर्मणाम् || ६-१११-५६
अस्माकं कामभोगानां दातारं रथिनां वरम् |
56. laN^kaadviipasya goptaaram = he was the protector of the island of Lanka; kartaaram = he was the doer; bhiima karmaNaam = of terrible deeds; daataaram = he was the bestower; kaama bhogaanaam = of desires and sensual gratifications; asmaakam = to us; varam = he was excellent; rathinaam = among the chariot-warriors.
"He was the protector of the island of Lanka. He was the doer of terrible deeds. He was the bestower of desires and sensual gratifications to us. He was excellent among the chariot-warriors."
एवंप्रभावं भर्तारं दृष्ट्वा रामेण पातितम् || ६-१११-५७
स्थिरास्मि या देहमिमं धारयामि हतप्रिया |
57. dR^iShTvaa = seeing; bhartaaram = my husband; evam prabhaaram = with such power; paatitam = struck down; raameNa = by Rama; ya = I; who; hata priyaa = having my husband killed; sthiraa asmi = an hard-heated; dhaarayaami = bearing; imam = this; deham = body.
"Seeing my husband with such power struck down by Rama, I, having my husband killed, am hard-hearted indeed, still bearing this body."
शयनेषु महार्हेषु शयित्वा राक्षसेश्वर || ६-१११-५८
इह कस्मात्प्रासुप्तोऽसि धरण्यां रेणुगुण्ठितः |
58. raakShaseshvara = O the king of demons!; kasmaat = why; asi = are you; shayitvaa = who were reposing; mahaarSheSu shayaneShu = on very valuable coaches; prasuptaH = are lying; reNuguN^Thita = covered with dust; dharaN^jaam = on ground?
"Having reposed on very valuable coaches, O the king of demons, why are you lying buried in sleep slumber on the bare ground and shrouded in dust?"
यदा ते तनयः शस्तो लक्ष्मणेनेन्द्रजिद्युधि || ६-१११-५९
तदा त्वभिहता तीच्रमद्य त्वस्मि निपातिता |
59. yadaa indrajit = when Indrajit; te tanayaH = your son; shastaH = was killed; yudhi = in battle; lakShmaNena = by Lakshmana; tadaa = then; tiivram abhihataa = I was hard-hit; adyatu = and today of course; nipaatitaa asmi = I am completely beaten down.
"When Indrajit, your son was killed in battle by Lakshmana, I was hard-hit then and today, of course, I am completely beaten down."
साहं बन्धुजनैर्हीना हीना नाथेन च त्वया || ६-१११-६०
विहीना कामभोगैश्च शोचिष्ये शाश्वतीः समाः |
60. hiinaa = bereft; bandhujanena = of kinsfolk; hiinaa = and forsaken; tvayaa cha = by you; naathena = my lord; vihiinaa = and deprived; kaamabhogaishcha = of desires and sensuous pleasures; saa aham = I; as such; shochiShye = shall lament; shashvatiiH samaah = for ever more years.
"Bereft of kinsfolk and forsaken by you, my lord, and deprived of desires and sensual enjoyments, I shall lament for ever more years."
प्रपन्नो दीर्घमध्वानं राजन्नद्य सुदुर्गमम् || ६-१११-६१
नय मामपि दुःखार्तां न वर्तिष्ये त्वया विना |
61. raajan = O king!; adya = today; prasannaH = you obtained; diirgham adhvaanam = a long path; sudurgamam = very difficult to be traversed; naya = take; maamapi = me too; duHkhaartaam = tormented by grief as I am; tvayaa vinaa = without you = na vartiShy = I shall not survive.
"O king! Having embarked today on a long journey, which is very difficult to be traversed, take me too with you, tormented as I am with grief. I shall not survive without you."
कस्मात्त्वं मां विहायेह कृपणाम् गन्तुमिच्छसि || ६-१११-६२
दीनां विलपतीं मन्दां किं वा मां नाभिभाषसे |
62. kasmaat = why; tvam ichchhasi = do you intend; gantum = to go; vihaaya = leaving; maam = me; iha = here; kR^ipaaNam = miserable as I am; kimva = why; maabhibhaaShase = you not speak; maam = to me; diinaam = the sad; vilaptiim = the lamenting; mandaam = and the unfortunate one?.
"Why do you intend to go, leaving me here, miserable as I am? Why do you not speak to me, a sad and lamenting creature, and unfortunate as I am?"
दृष्ट्वा न खल्वभिक्रुद्धो मामिहानवगुण्ठिताम् || ६-१११-६३
निर्गतां नगरद्वारात्पद्भ्यामेवागतां प्रभो |
63. prabho = O; Lord!; na abhikruddhaH khalu = are you not indeed enraged; dR^iShTvaa = in seeing; maam = me; iha = here; nirgagataam = having come out; nagara dvaaraat = through the City-gate; aagataam padbhyaameva = coming on foot; anavaguNThitaam = unveiled; eva = in this way?
"O Lord! Are you not indeed enraged, in seeing me on foot in this way out through the city-gate, unveiled and come on foot in the way?
पश्येष्टदार दारांस्ते भ्रष्टलज्जावगुण्ठनान् || ६-१११-६४
बहिर्निष्पतितान् सर्वान् कथं दृष्ट्वा न कुप्यसि |
64. iShTadaara = O lover of your consorts!; pashya = look at; te sarvaan daaraan = all your spouses; niShpatitaan = who came; bahiH = out bhraShTa lajjaavaguNThanaan = with their veils dropped off; katham na kupyasi = why are you not getting enraged; dR^iShTvaa = in seeing this?
"O lover of your consorts! Look at all your spouses, who came out, with their veils dropped off. Why are you not getting enraged in seeing this?"
अयम् क्रीडासहायस्तेऽनाथो लालप्यते जनः || ६-१११-६५
न चैनमाश्वासयसि किं वा न बहुमन्यसे |
65. ayam janaH = this Mandodari; kriiDaasahaayaH = who was helping in your sport; te = with you; laalapyate = is weeping; anaathaH = with helplessness; na cha aashvaasayasi = you are not consoling; enam = her; na bahumamyase kim vaa = do you not have a high esteem of her?.
"This Mandodari, who was helping in your sport with you, is weeping with helplessness. You are not consoling her. Do you not have a high esteem of her?"
यास्त्वया विधवा राजन् क्ऱिता नैकाः कुलस्त्रियः || ६-१११-६६
पतिव्रता धर्मरता गुरुशुश्रूषणे रताः |
ताभिः शोकाभितप्ताभिः शप्तः परवशं गतः || ६-१११-६७
त्वया विप्रकृताभिर्यत्तदा शप्तं तदागतम् |
66-67. paravasham gataH = you have fallen under the sway; taabhiH = of your enemies; shaptaH = in that you were cursed; naikaaH = by the numerous; kulastriyah = women of noble lineage; yaah pativrataaH = who though devoted to their husband; dharmarataaH = fond of piety; rataaH guru shuShruuShaNe = and intent on the service of their elders; kR^itaaH vidhavaaH = had been widowed; tvayaa = by you; raajan = had been widowed; tvayaa = by you; raajan = O king; shokaabhataptaabhiH = and were accordingly tormented with grief; yat shaptam = that curse which was pronounced; viprakR^itaabhiH = by those woman; tadaa = at that time; tvaya = on their having been wronged by you; tat = that aagatam = has fallen (on you).
"You have fallen under the sway of your enemies in that you were cursed by the numerous women of noble lineage, who, though devoted to their husband, fond of piety and intent on the service of their elders, had been widowed by you, O king, and were accordingly tormented with grief. That curse which was pronounced at that time by those aggrieved women on their having been wronged by you, has fallen on you."
प्रवादः सत्य एवायं त्वां प्रति प्रायशो नृप || ६-१११-६८
पतिव्रतानां नाकस्मात्पतन्त्यश्रूनि भूतले |
68. praayashaH = probably; ayam = this; pravaadaH = popular saying; (that) ashruuNi = the tears; pativrataanaam = of virtuous wives; na patanti = do not generally fall; bhuutale = on the ground; akasmaat = in avain; satya eva = has come out true; tvaam prati = in your case; nR^ipa = O king!.
"The popular saying that the tears of virtuous wives d not generally fall on the ground in vain' has come out probably true in your case O king!"
कथं च नाम ते राजन् लोकानाक्रम्य तेजसा || ६-१११-६९
नारीचौर्यमिदं क्षुद्रं कृतं शौण्डीर्यमानिना |
69. katham cha naama = how; idam = this; kShudram = mean; naariichauryam = act of abducting a lady; kR^itam = was done; shauN^Diiryamaaninaa = by you who were proud of your prowess; aakramya = invading; lokaam = the worlds; te tejasaa = with your vital power; raajan = O; king!
"How was this mean act of abducting a lady, done by you, who having invaded the three worlds, were proud f your prowess?"
अपनीयाश्रमाद्रामं यन्मृगच्चद्मना त्वया || ६-१११-७०
आनीता रामपत्नी स तत्ते कातर्यलक्षणम् |
70. tat = that; te kaatarya lakShaNam = was a mark of your cowardice; aashramaat = (that) from a hermitage; saa = that; raamapatnii = Rama's consort yat aamiitaa = was a = by you; borne away tvayaa = by you; mR^igachchhadmanaa = in the pretext of a deer; apaniiya = by luring away; raamam = Rama; aashramaat = from his hermitage.
"It was indeed a mark of your cowardice that Rama's consort was borne away by you, after luring away Rama from his hermitage in the pretext of deer"
कातर्यं न च ते युद्धे कदाचित्संस्मराम्यहम् || ६-१११-७१
तत्तु भाग्यविपर्यासान्नूनं ते पक्वलक्षणम् |
71. aham = I; na samsmaraami = do not recall; te kaataryaami = your faint-heartenedness; kadaachit = at any time; yuddhe = on the battle-field; tattu = that abduction of Seetha; however; bhaagya viparyaasaat = was due to your ill-luck; te pakva lakShaNam = as the result of your sins; muunam = certainly.
"I do not recall your faint-heartedness at any time on the battle-field. That case of abduction of Seetha, however, was due to your ill-luck and certainly as the result of your sins."
अतीतानागतार्थज्ञो वर्तमानविचक्षणः || ६-१११-७२
मैथिलीमाहृताम् दृष्ट्वा ध्यात्वा निःश्वस्य चायतम् |
सत्यवाक्स महाबाहो देवरो मे यदब्रवीत् || ६-१११-७३
अयन् राक्षसमुख्यानां विनाशः पर्युपस्थितः |
कामक्रोधसमुत्थेन व्यसनेन प्रसङ्गिना || ६-१११-७४
72-74. mahaabaaho = O the mighty armed one!; saH me devaraH = (Whatever) my younger brother-in-law; vibhishana; atiitaanaagataarthajJNaH = who knows matters relating to the past and of the future; vartamaana vichakShaNaH = and also conversant with the present; abraviit = said; dhyaatvaa = after reflecting; niHshvashvasya = and sighing; aayatam = for long; dR^iShTvaa = on seeing; maithiliim = Seetha; aahR^itaam = abducted (by you); vinaashaH = the destruction; ayam raakShamukhyanaam = of the chiefs among the demons; paryupasthitaH = is now imminent; saH satyavaak = have become true words; kaama krodha samuthena = had come from the lust; wrath; prasaNginaa vyasanena = and addiction to the vice of deep attachment.
"O the mighty armed one! Whatever my younger brother-in-law, Vibhishana who knows matters relating to the pat and of the future and also conversant with the present said after reflecting and sighing for long, on seeing Seetha abducted by you: 'The destruction of the chiefs among the demons now is imminent, have become true words. This misfortune had come from the lust, wrath and addiction to the vice of deep attachment."
निर्वृत्तस्त्वत्कृतेऽनर्थः सोऽयं मूलहरो महान् |
त्वया कृतमिदन् सर्वमनाथं रक्षसान् कुलम् || ६-१११-७५
75. saH ayam = this; mahaan anarthaH = major disaster; nirvR^ittaH = occured; muulaharaH = destroying our very root; tvatnimittam = because of you; idam = this; sarvam = entire; raakShasam kulam = race of demons; kR^itam anaatham = has been deprived of its protector; tvayaa = by you.
"This major disaster occurred, destroying our very root, because of you. This entire race of demons has been deprived of its protector, by you."
न हि त्वन् शोचितव्यो मे प्रख्यातबलपौरुषः |
स्त्रीस्वभावात्तु मे बुद्धिः कारुण्ये परिवर्तते || ६-१११-७६
76. prakhyaate bala pauruShaH = having illustrious strength; nahi = are indeed not; shochitavyaH = do not deserve to be lamented for; me = by me; striisvabhaavaat = but; because of feminine nature; me buddhiH = my mind; parivartate = is learning; kaaruNye = towards melancholy.
"You, who were far illustrious for your strength and prowess, do not deserve to be lamented for by me. But, because of feminine nature, my mind is leaning towards melancholy."
सुकृतन् दुष्कृतं च त्वं गृहीत्वा स्वां गतिं गतः |
आत्मानमनुशोचामि त्वद्वियोगेन दुःखिताम् || ६-१११-७७
77. gR^ihiitvaa = by taking away; sukR^itam = merit; duShkR^itam cha = and sin; tvam = you; gataH = obtained; svaam = your; gatim = course of fate; tvadvinaashena = by your death; anushochaami = I am mourning; aatmaanaam = about my own self; duHkhitaam = so afflicted as I am.
"By taking away your merit and sin, you obtained your course of fate. I, however, mourn for my own self, so afflicted as I am, by your death."
सुहृदां हितकामानां न श्रुतं वचनं त्वया |
भ्रातृइणां चैव कार्त्स्न्येन हितमुक्तं दशानन || ६-१११-७८
78. dashaananaa = O Ravana!; vachanam = the advice; suhR^idaam = of your friends; hita kaamaanaam = who wish for your welfare; na shrutam = was not heard; tvayaa = by you; na = nor; hitam = the words of welfare; uktam = spoken; bhraatR^iiNaam cha = by your brothers; kaartsnyana = completely.
"O Ravana! You did not hear the advice of your friends, who wish for your welfare. Nor did you hear the words of your brothers completely."
हेत्वर्थयुक्तं विधिवच्छ्रेयस्करमदारुणम् |
विभीषणेनाभिहितं न कृतं हेतुमत्त्वया || ६-१११-७९
79. abhitam = the counsel offered; vibhiiShaNena = by Vibhishana; hatvarthayuktam = which was endowed with reason and meaning; vidhivat = according to rule of conduct; shreyaskaram = wholesome; adaaruNam = gentle; hetumat = and well-founded; na kR^itam = was not implemented; tvayaa = by you.
"The counsel offered by Vibhishana, which was endowed with reason, meaning, rule of conduct, wholesome, gentle and well-founded, was not implemented by you."
मारीचकुम्भकर्णाभ्यां वाक्यं मम पितुस्तथा |
न श्रुतं वीर्यमत्तेन तस्येदं फलमीदृशम् || ६-१११-८०
80. maariichakumbhakarNaabhyaam = the advices offered by Mareecha and Kumbhakarna; tathaa = and; mama = my advice; pitruH vaakyam = the words of my father; na shrutam = have not been heeded; viiryamattena = by you; who were arrogant of your prowess; tasya iidR^isham = what is followed; idam phalam = is a bitter consequence (of your perversity).
"The advices offered by Mareecha, Kumbhakarna, myself and my father have not been heeded by you, who were arrogant of your prowess. What is followed is a bitter consequence of your perversity."
नीलजीमूतसंकाश पीताम्भर शुभाङ्गद |
स्वगात्राणि विनिक्षिप्य किं शेषे रुधिराप्लुतः || ६-१११-८१
81. niilajiimuuta samkaasha = my lord; resembling a dark cloud in hue; piitaambara = clad in yellow; shubhaaN^gada = and decked with brilliant armlets!; kim = why; sheShe = are you lying; svagaatraaNi = with your limbs; vinikShipya = cast away on the ground; rudhiraaplutaH = and anointed with blood?
"My lord, resembling a dark cloud in hue, clad in yellow and decked with brilliant armlets, why are you lying with your limbs, cast away on the ground and bathed in blood?"
प्रसुप्त इव शोकार्तां किं मां न प्रतिभाषसे |
महावीर्यस्य दक्षस्य संयुगेष्वपलायिनः || ६-१११-८२
यातुधानस्य दौहित्र किं मां न प्रतिभाषसे |
82. prasuptaH iva = as though fast asleep; kim = why; na pratibhaaShase = are you not replying; maam = to me; dauhitriim = the granddaughter; yaatudhaanasya = of Sumali; the demon; dakShasya = who was clever; mahaaviirasya = endowed with extraordinary prowess; apalaayinaH = and never retreated; samyugeShu = in battle; shokaartam = tormented with grief as I am.
"As though fast asleep, why are you not replying to me, the granddaughter of Somali the demon who was clever, endowed with extraordinary prowess and never retreated in battles, tormented with grief as I am?"
उत्तिष्ठोत्तिष्ट किं शेषे नवे परिभवे कृते || ६-१११-८३
अद्य वै निर्भया लङ्कां प्रविष्टाः सूर्यरश्मयः |
83. uttiShTha; uttiShTha = arise; arise!; kR^ite = after getting; nave paraabhave = a fresh insult; kim = why; sheShe = are you lying down?; suuryarashmayaH = the sun's rays; praviShTaaH = have entered; laN^kaam = Lanka; adya = today; nirbhayaaH = without any fear.
"Arise, arise! Why are you lying down, though subjected to a fresh insult? The sun's rays have penetrated deep into Lanka today, without any fear."
येन सूदयसे शत्रून् समरे सूर्यवर्चसा || ६-१११-८४
वज्रं वज्रधरस्येव सोऽयं ते सततार्चितः |
रणे बहुप्रहरणो हेमजालपरिष्कृतः || ६-१११-८५
परिघो व्यवकीर्णस्ते बाणैश्छिन्नः सहस्रधा |
84-85. chhinnaH = torn; sahasradhaa = into thousand pieces; aam parigham = that very iron bludgeon; te = of yours; suurya varcasaa = which was brilliant as the sun; vajram iva = like a thunderbolt; vajradharasya = of Indra; yena = with which; suudayase = you killed; shatruun = your enemies; samare = in the battle-field; satataarchitaH = which was constantly honoured by you; bahupraharaNaH = which had struck many; raNe = in battle; hemajaalapariShkR^itaH = and which was decked with gold; vyavakiirNaH = lies scattered.
"Torn into thousand pieces, that iron bludgeon of yours, which was brilliant as the sun, like a thunderbolt of Indra, with which you killed your enemies in the battle-field, which was constantly honoured by you, which had struck many in battle and which was decked with gold, lies scattered."
प्रियामिवोपसंगृह्य किम् शेषे रणमेदिनीम् || ६-१११-८६
अप्रियामिव कस्माच्च मां नेच्छस्यभिभाषितुम् |
86. kim = why; sheShe = are you lying down; upasamgR^ihya = embracing; raNa mediniim = the battle-ground; priyaamiva = as one would embrace a loved one?; kasmaat = why; nechchhasi = do you not feel inclined; abhibhaaShitum = to reply; maan = to me; apriyaamiva = as though I were abhorrent (to you)?
Why are you lying down, embracing the battle-ground, as one would embrace a loved one? Why do you not feel inclined to reply to me, as though I were abhorrent to you?"
धिगस्तु हृदयन् यस्या ममेदं न सहस्रधा || ६-१११-८७
त्वयि पञ्चत्वमापन्ने फलते शोकपीडितम् |
87. dhik astu = woe be to me; yasyaaH = that; idam hR^idayam = this heart; mama = of mine; na phalate = is not burst asunder; sahasradhaa = into thousand pieces; shoka piiDitam = tormented as I am with grief; tvayi aapanne = now that you have returned; paN^chatvam = to the five elements.
"Woe be to me, that my heart is not bursting into pieces, tormented as I am with grief, now that you have returned to the five elements."
इत्येवं विलपन्ती सा बाष्पपर्याकुलेक्षणा || ६-१११-८८
स्नेहोपस्कन्नहृदया तदा मोहमुपागमत् |
88. vilapantii = lamenting; ityevam = in this way; saa = that Mandodari; baaShpa paryaakulekShaNaa = with her eyes filled with tears; snehopaskannahR^idayaa = and her heart moistened with love; tadaa = at that time; upaagamat = fell into; moham = a swoon.
Lamenting thus, with her eyes filled with tears and her heart moistened with love, Mandodari, at that time, fell into a swoon.
कश्मलाभिहता सन्ना बभौ सा रावणोरसि || ६-१११-८९
संध्यानुरक्ते जलदे दीप्ता विद्युदिवोज्ज्वला |
89. raavaNorasi = (Fallen on) the breast of Ravana; saa sannaa = the dispirited Mandodari; kashmalaabhihataa = stricken as she was with grief; babhau = shone; diiptaa ujjvalaa vidyut iva = like a vivid flash of lightning; jalade = across a rainy cloud; samdhyaanurakte = reddened by the glow of twilight.
Fallen on the breast of Ravana, that dispirited Mandodari, stricken as she was with grief, shone like a vivid flash of lightning across a rainy cloud, reddened by the flow of twilight.
तथागतां समुत्थाप्य सपत्न्यस्तां भृशातुराः || ६-१११-९०
पर्यवस्थापयामासू रुदन्त्यो रुदतीं भृशम् |
90. samutthaapya = raising up; taam = Mandodari; tathaagatam = who was in that condition; bhR^isham rudantiim = bitterly weeping; sapatnyaiH = her co-wives; rudantyaH = who were also weeping; bhR^ishaaturaaH = very much distressed as they were; paryavasthaapayaamaasuH = consoled her.
Raising up Mandodari, who was in that condition bitterly weeping, her co-wives who were also weeping, very much distressed as they were, began to console her (as follows):
किं ते न विदिता देवि लोकानां स्थितिरध्रुवा || ६-१११-९१
दशाविभागपर्याये राज्ञां वै चञ्चलाः श्रियः |
91. te na viditaa kim = don't you know; adhruvaa sthitiH = the uncertain state; lokaanaam = of the worlds; devi = O queen! raajJNaam shriyaH = that wealth of kings; chaNchalaaH = is unsteady; dashaavibhaagaparyaaye = when there is a change in the tide of their fate?
"Don't you know the uncertain state of the worlds, O queen, that the wealth of kings is unsteady, when there is a change in the tide of their fate?"
इत्येवमुच्यमाना सा सशब्दं प्ररुदोद ह || ६-१११-९२
स्नापयन्ती तदास्रेण स्तनौ वक्त्रं सुनिर्मलम् |
92. uchyamaanaa = while they were consoling; ityevam = thus; saa = she; asreNa = with her tears; snaapayantii = moistening; sunirmalam vaktram = her very pure face; stanau = and breasts; praruroda ha = wept; sushabdam = very loudly; tadaa = at that moment.
While they were consoling thus, Mandodari, moistening her breasts and her spotless face in tears, wept aloud at that moment.
एतस्मिन्नन्तरे रामो विभीषणमुवाच ह || ६-१११-९३
सन्स्कारः क्रियतां भ्रातुः स्त्रियश्चैता निवर्तय |
93. etasmin antare = In the meanwhile; raamaH = Rama; uvaacha ha = spoke; vibhiiShaNam = to Vibhishana (as follows): bhraatuH = samskaaraH = let the obsequies of your brother; kriyataan = be performed; strigaNaaH = let these crews of woment; parisaantvyataam = be consoled.
In the meanwhile, Rama spoke to Vibhishana as follows: "Let the obsequies of your brother be performed and let these crews of women be consoled."
तमुवाच ततो धीमान् विभीषण इदं वचः || ६-१११-९४
विमृश्य बुद्ध्या धर्मज्ञो धर्मार्थसहितं हितम् |
94. tataH = thereupon; dhiimaan vibhiiShaNaH = the intelligent Vibhishana; dharmajJNaH = the knower of virtue; vimR^ishya = reflecting; buddhyaa = with his intellect; uvaacha = spoke; idam vachaH = the following words; dharmaarthasahitam = which were in conformity with righteousness; hitam = and self-interest.
Reflecting with his intellect, the intelligent Vibhishana, the knower of virtue, thereupon, spoke to Rama, the following words, which were in conformity with righteousness and self-interest.
त्यक्तधर्मव्रतन् क्रूरं नृशन्समनृतं तथा || ६-१११-९५
नाहमर्होअस्मि सन्स्कर्तुं परदाराभिमर्शकम् |
95. aham = I; arhaH na asmi = am not obliged; samskartum = to perform the obsequies; tyaktadharmavratam = to him; who had abandoned the vow of virtue; kruram = who was cruel; nR^ishamsam = who killed human beings; tathaa = and; anR^itam = who was cheating; paradaaraa bhimarshinam = and who was longing for others' wives.
"I am not obliged to perform the obsequies to him, who had abandoned the vow of virtue, who was cruel, who killed human beings, who was a cheater and who had longed for others' wives."
भ्रातृरूपो हि मे शत्रुरेष सर्वाहिते रतः || ६-१११-९६
रावणो नार्हते पूजां पूज्योअपि गुरुगौरवात् |
96. eShaH raavaNaH = this Ravana; rataH = who was interested; sarvaahite = in wishing evil to all; pujyo.api = though venerable; gurugauravaat = as a respectable elder; na arhate = is not fit; puujaam; for honour; me shatruH = he is my enemy; braatR^iruupaH = in the form of a brother.
"This Ravana, who was interested in wishing evil to all, though venerable as a respectable elder, is not fit for honour. He is my enemy, in the guise of a brother."
नृशन्स इति मान् राम वक्ष्यन्ति मनुजा भुवि || ६-१११-९७
श्रुत्वा तस्य गुणान्सर्वे वक्ष्यन्ति सुकृतं पुनः |
97. raama = O Rama!; maanujaaH = the human beings; bhuvi = on this earth; vakShyanti = may speak; maam = about me; nR^ishamsaH iti = as ruthless (if I do not perform obsequies); punaH = again; shrutvaa = after hearing; tasyaaguNaan = about is bad qualities; sarve = all of them; vakShyanti = will speak of it; sukR^itam = as a good act.
"If I do not perform obsequies, O Rama, the human beings on earth will speak about me as ruthless. But, on hearing about his bad qualities all of them will speak of it as a good act."
तच्छ्रुत्वा परमप्रीतो रामो धर्मभृतान् वरः || ६-१११-९८
विभीषणमुवाचेदन् वाक्यज्ञो वाक्यकोविदम् |
98. shrutvaa = hearing; tat = those words; raamaH = Rama; varaH = the best; dharma bhR^itaam = among the supporters of virtue; vaakya kovidaH = and skilled in speech; parama priitaH = was very much pleased; uvaacha = and spoke; idam = the following words; vibhiiShaNam = to Vibhishana; vaakyajJNam = the intelligent one in speech.
Hearing those words, Rama the best among the supporters of virtue and skilled in speech, was very much pleased and spoke the following words to Vibhishana, the intelligent one in his speech.
तवापि मे प्रियन् कार्यं त्वत्प्रभवाच्च मे जितम् || ६-१११-९९
अवश्यन् तु क्षमन् वाच्यो मया त्वं राक्षसेश्वर |
99. raakShaseshvara = O king of demons!; priyam = a favourite act; kaaryam = is to be done; tava = to you; me api = by me too; jitam = (the battle) was won; mayaa = by me; tvatprabhaavaat = because of you; avashyam = certainly; kShamam = an appropriate advice; vaachyaH = is to be told; mayaa = by me.
"O king of demons! I too have to do a favour to you. I won the battle because of you. Certainly I have to give you an appropriate advice."
अधर्मानृतसन्युक्तः काममेष निशाचरः || ६-१११-१००
तेजस्वी बलवाञ्शूरः सङ्ग्रामेषु च नित्यशः |
100. eShaH = this; nishaacharaH = demon; adharmaaNR^ta samyuktaH = may be full of unrighteous and falsehood; tu = but; tejasvii = (he was) brilliant; balavaan = strong; nityashaH shuraaH cha = and ever a brave warrior; samgraameShu = in battles.
"This demon may be full of unrighteousness and falsehood. But, he was brilliant, strong and ever a brave warrior in battles."
शतक्रतुमुखैर्देवैः श्रूयते न पराजितः || ६-१११-१०१
महात्मा बलसम्पन्नो रावणो लोकरावणः |
101. shruuyate = it is heard that; raavaNaH = Ravana; mahaatmaa = who was mighty; balasampannaH = endowed with strength; lokaraavaNaH = and who was causing people to cry; na paraajitaH = was not conquered; viiraiH = by the chiefs; shatakratumukhaiH = like Indra and others.
"It is heard that Ravana who was mighty, endowed with strength and who was causing people to cry, was not conquered by the chiefs like Indra and others."
मरणान्तानि वैराणि निर्वृत्तं नः प्रयोजनम् || ६-१११-१०२
क्रियतामस्य सन्स्कारो ममाप्येष यथा तव |
102. vairaaNi = hostilities; maraNaantaani = end with death; naH = our; prayojanam = purpose; nirvR^ittam = has been accomplished; asya samskaaraH = let his funeral rites; kriyataam = be performed; eShaH = he; maam api = is as good mine also; yathaa tava = as yours.
"Hostilities end with death. Our purpose has been accomplished. Let his funeral rites be performed. He is even as good mine also, as yours."
त्वत्सकाशान्महाबाहो सन्स्कारन् विधिपूर्वकम् || ६-१११-१०३
पाप्तु मर्हति धर्मेण त्वं यशोभाग्भविष्यसि |
103. vidhipuurvakam = according to rule; dashagriivaH = Ravana; arhati = is eligible; praaptum = to get; samskaaram = obsequies; tvatsakaashaat = from you; dharmeNa = by usage; tvam = you; bhaviShyasi = will become yashobhaak = fit for glory.
"According to rule, Ravana is eligible to get the last rites on his dead body from you, by usage. You will also become fit for glory."
राघवस्य वचः श्रुत्वा त्वरमाणो विभीषणः || ६-१११-१०४
सन्स्कारेणानुरूपेण भ्रातरं रावणम् हतम् |
104. shrutvaa = having heard; vachaH = the words; raaghavasya = of Rama; vibhiiShaNaH = Vibhishana; tvaramaaNaH = in haste; aarebhe = began; samskaarayitum = to do obsequies; hatam bhraataram = to his dead brother; raavaNam = Ravana.
Having heard the words of Rama, Vibhishana in haste began to do obsequies to Ravana, his dead brother.
स प्रविश्य पुरीं लङ्कां राक्षसेन्द्रो विभीषणः || ६-१११-१०५
रावनस्याग्निहोत्रं तु निर्यापयति सत्वरम् |
105. pravishya = entering; laN^kaam puriim = the City of Lanka; saH vibhiiShaNaH = that Vibhishana; raakShasendraH = the lord of demons; satvaram = quickly; niryaapayati = concluded; agnihotram = the Agnihotra (act of poring oblations into the sacred fire); raavaNasya = carried on by Ravana.
Entering the City of Lanka, that Vibhishana, the lord of demons, quickly concluded the Agnihotra (the act of pouring oblations into the sacred fire) carried on by Ravana.
शकटान् दारुरूपाणि अग्नीन् वै याजकांस्तथा || ६-१११-१०६
तथा चन्दनकाष्ठानि काष्ठानि विविधानि च |
अगरूणि सुगन्धीनि गन्धांश्च सुरभींस्तथा || ६-१११-१०७
मणिमुक्ताप्रवाळानि निर्यापयति राक्षसः |
106-107. raakShasaH = Vibhishana; niryaatayati = actually caused to be brought together; shakaTaan = carts; daaruruupaaNi = excellent varieties of firewood; agniin = the three sacred fires; tathaa = and; yaajajaan = the priests required to officiate at the obsequies; tathaa = and; chandanakaaShThaani = logs of sandalwood; vividhaani kaaShThaani = various types of fire wood; sugandhiini agaruuNi = pieces of fragrant aloe-wood; gandhaamshcha = odorous; surabhiin = perfumes; tathaa = and; maNimuktaapravaaLaani = gems; pearls and corals.
Vibhishana actually caused to be brought together, carts, excellent varieties of firewood, the three sacred fires and the priests required to officiate at the obsequies, logs of sandalwood, various types of firewood, pieces of fragrant aloe-wood, odorous perfumes, as well as gems, pearls and corals.
आ जगाम मुहूर्तेन राक्षसैः परिवारितः || ६-१११-१०८
ततो माल्यवता सार्धं क्रियामेव चकार सः |
108. parivaaritaH = surrounded; raakShasaiH = with demons; aajagaama = (he) came back; muhurtena = for a while; tataH = thereupon; saH = he; maalyavataasaartham = together with Malyavan (the father of his own mother); chakaara kriyaam = initiated the obsequies.
Surrounded with demons, he came back for a while and thereupon, Vibhishana along with malyavan (the father of his own mother) initiated the obsequies.
सौवर्णीं शिबिकां दिव्यामारोप्य क्षौमवाससम् || ६-१११-१०९
रावणं राक्षसाधिशमश्रुपूर्णमुखा द्विजाः |
तूर्यघोषैश्च विविधैः स्तुवद्भिश्चाभिनन्दितम् || ६-१११-११०
पताकाभिश्च चित्राभिः सुमनोभिश्च चित्रिताम् |
उत्क्षिप्य शिबिकां तां तु विभीषणपुरोगमाः || ६-१११-१११
दक्षिणाभिमुखाः सर्वे गृह्य काष्ठानि भेजिरे |
109-111. aaropya = placing; raavaNam = Ravana; kShauma vaasanam = who was covered with linen; tuuryaghoShaiH = hailed with blasts of various musical instruments; stuvadbhiH = as well as panegyrists; raakShasaadhiisham = the lord of demons; divyaam = in a beautiful; sauvarNiim shibikaam = golden palanquin; sarve dvijaaH = all Brahmanas (forming part of the demon's race; which was apparently divided into four classes; like human beings) ashrupuurNamukhaah = (stood round him) with their faces filled with tears; utkShipya = lifting up; taam shibikaam = that palanquin; chitritaam = which had been decorated; chitraahiH pataakaabhishcha = chitritaam = which had been decorated; chitraabhiH pataakaabhishcha = with colourful flags; sumanobhiH = and flowers; gR^ihya = and taking up; kaaShThaani = blocks of wood; vibhiiShaNa purogamaaH = all the demons for their part with Vibhishana in front; bhejire = proceeded; dakShiNaabhimukhaaH = with their faces turned towards the south.
Placing Ravana, the lord of demons, who was covered with linen, accompanied by blasts of various musical instruments as well as panegyrists singing his the Brahmanas (forming part of the demon's race, which was apparently divided into four classes, like human beings) stood around him with their faces filled in tears. Lifting up that palanquin, which had been decorated with colorful flags and flowers and taking up blocks of wood, all the demons for their part, with Vibhishana in front, proceeded with their face turned towards the south.
अग्नयो दीप्यमानास्ते तदाध्वर्युसमीरिताः || ६-१११-११२
शरणाभिगताह् सर्वे पुरस्तत्तस्य ते ययुः |
112. te = those; agnayaH = sacrificial fires; diipyamaanaaH = were ignited; adhvaryu samiiritaaH = and re-animated; as they were; by Adhvaryu priests the performers of the sacrificial act; tadaa = at that time; te = those fires; sharaNaabhigataaH = were contained in earthen pots; yayuH = went; purastaat = in front; tasya = of Ravana's body.
Those sacrificial fires were ignited and re-animated, as they were, by Adhvaryu priests, the performers of the sacrificial act, at that time. Those sacrificial fires were contained in earthen pots and went in front of Ravana's body.
अन्तःपुराणि सर्वाणि रुदमानानि सत्वरम् || ६-१११-११३
पृष्ठतोऽनुययुस्तानि प्लवमानानि सर्वतः |
113. taani sarvaaNi = all those; antaHpuraaNi = women of the gynaecium; rudamaanaani = while weeping; annyayuH pR^iShThataH satvanam = followed at his heels with quick paces; plavamaanaani sarvataH = stumbling as they were; on all sides.
All those women of the gynaecium, while weeping, followed at his heels with quick paces, stumbling, as they were, on all sides.
रावणम् प्रयते देशे स्थाप्य ते भृशदुःखिताः || ६-१११-११४
चितां चन्दनकाष्ठैश्च पद्मकोशीरसंवृताम् |
ब्राह्म्या संवर्तयामासू राङ्कवास्तरणावृताम् || ६-१११-११५
वर्तते वेदविहितो राज्ञो वै पश्चिमः क्रतुः |
114-115. sthaapya = keeping; raavaNam = (the body of ) Ravana; prayate deshe = on a consecrated spot; (Vibhishana and others); bhR^isha duHkhitaaH = who were very much afflicted with grief; samvartayaamaasuH chitaam = piled up a pyre; braahmyaa = which was sacred; chandana kaaShThaishcha = with logs of sandalwood; padma koshiira samvR^itaam = moistened with perfumes called Padmaka and Koshira; raaNka vaastaraNaavR^itam = covered with the skin of black antelopes; vartate = turned about; pashchima kratuH = to perform the obsequies; vedavihitaH = in accordance = with the Vedic rites; raajJNaH = in honour of the king.
Keeping the body of Ravana on a consecrated spot, Vibhishana and others, who were very much afflicted with grief, piled up a sacred pyre, with logs of sandalwood, moistened with perfumes called Padmaka and Koshira and covered with the skin of black antelopes, turned about to perform the obsequies in accordance with Vedic rites in honour of the king.
प्रचक्रू राक्षसेन्द्रस्य पित्ऱ्^मेधमनुत्तमम् || ६-१११-११६
वेदिं च दक्षिणप्राच्यां यथास्थानं च पावकम् |
116. prachakruH = (They) performed; pitR^imedham = the ancestral oblations; raavaNasya = to Ravana; anuttamam = in a superb way; vedimcha = (They constructed) an altar; dakShiNapraachyaam = in the south-east (of the funeral pile); paavakam yathaasthaanam = and placed the sacred fire in its proper place.
They performed the ancestral oblations to Ravana in a superb way. They constructed an altar in the south-east the funeral pile) and placed the sacred fire in its proper place.
पृषदाज्येन संपूर्णं स्रुवं स्कन्धे प्रचिक्षिपुः || ६-१११-११७
पादयोः शकटं प्रादुरूर्वोश्चोलूखलं तदा |
117. prachikShipuH = (They) poured; sruvam = a small wooden ladle; sampuurNam = full; vR^iShadaajyena = of ghee mixed with curds; skande = on his shoulders; praaduH = and placed; shakaTam = a cart; paadayaH = at his feet; tadaa = and then; uluukhalam = a wooden mortar; uurvoH cha = at his thighs.
They poured a ladle-full of ghee mixed with curds on his shoulders, placed a cart at his feet and then a wooden mortar at his thighs.
दारुपात्रानि सर्वाणि अरणिं चोत्तरारणिम् || ६-१११-११८
दत्त्वा तु मुसलं चान्यं यथास्थानं विचक्रमुः |
118. dattvaa = having set; sarvaaNi = all; daarupaatraaNi = the wooden vessels; araNim = the lower piece of wood used for kindling fire at a sacrifice; uttaraaraNim = and the upper wood (which is rotated at great spped; on to lower one; to produce fire by friction); musalam = the wooden pestle used in the sacrifice; anyamcha = and other things; yathaasthaanam = at their proper place; vichakramuH = they circled around the funeral pyre.
Having set at their proper place, all the wooden vessels (used in Agnihotra), the lower piece of wood used for kindling fire at a sacrifice and the upper piece of wood (which is rotated at great speed on to lower one, to produce fire by friction), the wooden pestle and other things used in the sacrifice, they circled around the funeral pyre.
शास्त्रदृष्टेन विधिना महर्षिविहितेन च || ६-१११-११९
तत्र मेध्यं पशुं हत्वा राक्षसेन्द्रस्य राक्षसाः |
परिस्तरणीकां राज्ञोघृताक्तां समवेशयन् || ६-१११-१२०
119-120. vidhena maharShivihitena = according to ordinance laid down by eminent sages; shaastradR^iShTena = and according to the rules viewed in the Vedas; hatvaa = having sacrificed; medhyam pashum = a goat fit for sacrifice; tatra = at that spot; raakShasaaH = the demons; samaveshayan paristaraNikaam = spread the limbs of the dead goat; ghR^itaaktaam = dampened with ghee; raajJNaH = on Ravana; raakShasendrasya = the king of demons.
According to ordinance laid down by eminent sages and according to the rules viewed in Vedas, having sacrificed a goat fit for sacrifice at that spot, the demons dampened with ghee on Ravana the King of demons.
गन्धैर्माल्यैरलंकृत्य रावणं दीनामानसाः || ६-१११-१२१
विभीषणसहायास्ते वस्त्त्रैश्च विविधैरपि |
लाजैरवकिरन्ति स्म बाष्पपूर्णमुखास्तथा || ६-१११-१२२
121-122. alamkR^itya = having decorated; raavaNam = the body of Ravana; gandhaiH = with perfumes; maalyaiH = garlands; tathaa vividhaiH vastraiH = and various kinds of clothes; te = those demons; vibhiiShaNa sahaayaaH = accompanied by Vibhishana; diinamaanasaaH = who were distressed in mind; tathaa = and who were distressed in mind; tathaa = and baaShpapuurNa mukhaaH = and with their faces bathed in tears; avaakirantisma = poured; laajaiH = parched grains of rice.
Having decorated the body of Ravana with perfumes, garlands and various kinds of clothes; those demons accompanied by Vibhishana, distressed as they were in their minds, poured parched grains of rice, with their faces bathed in tears.
स ददौ पावकन् तस्य विधियुक्तन् विभीषणः |
स्नात्वा चैवार्द्रवस्त्रेण तिलान् दर्भविमिश्रितान् || ६-१११-१२३
उदकेन च संमिश्रान् प्रदाय विधिपूर्वकम् |
प्रदाय चोदकं तस्मै मूर्ध्ना चैनं नमस्य च || ६-१११-१२४
ताः स्त्रियोअनुनयामास सान्त्वमुक्त्वा पुनः पुनः |
गम्यतामिति ताः सर्वा विविशुर्नगरं ततः || ६-१११-१२५
123-125. saH vibhiishaNah = that Vibhishana; dadau paavakam = set fire; tasya = to Ravana; vidhiyuktam = according to the rules in scriptures; snaatvaa = washing himself; pvadaaya = and offering; aardravastreNa = in his wet clothes; vidhipuurvakam = according to scriptural ordinance; tilaan = sesame seeds; sammishritaan = mixed; udakena cha = with water; darbha mishritaan = as well as blades of sacred Kusha grass; namasyacha = and offering salutation; enam = to Ravana; muurdhanaa = with his head; anunayaamaasa = and entreated; taaH striyaH = those women; gamyataam iti = to return; saantvayitvaa = consoling them; punaH punaH = again and again; tataH = then; taaH sarvaaH = all of them; nagaram vivashuH = returned to the city.
That Vibhishana set fire to Ravana, according to the rules in the scriptures. Washing himself and offering in his wet clothes, according to scriptural ordinance, sesame seeds mixed with water, as well as blades of Kusha grass and offering obeisance to Ravana by bowing his head, Vibhishana entreated those women to return, consoling them again and again. Then, all of the returned to the City.
प्रविष्टासु च सर्वासु राक्षसीषु विभीषणः |
रामपार्श्वमुपागम्य तदातिष्ठद्विनीतवत् || ६-१११-१२६
126. striiShu = (While) those women; praviShTaasu = were re-entering; puriim = the city; vibhiiShaNaH = Vibhishana; raakShasendraH = the lord of demons; upaagamya = on approaching; raamapaarshvam = Rama's vicinity; atiShThat = remained standing; tadaa = then; viniitavat = with humility.
When those women were re-entering the City, Vibhishana the lord of demons on approaching Rama's vicinity then remained standing there with humility.
रामोअपि सह सैन्येन ससुग्रीवः सलक्ष्मणः |
हर्षन् लेभे रिपुं हत्वा यथा वृत्रं वज्रधरो यथा || ६-१११-१२७
127. hatvaa = having destroyed; ripum = the enemy; ramo.api = Rama too; lebhe harSham = experience happiness; sainyena saha = along with his army; sasugriivaH = as well as with Sugreeva; salakShmanaH = and Lakshmana; vajradhara yathaa = even as Indra; the wielder of thunderbolt; vR^itram = did on destroying Vritra the demon.
Having destroyed the enemy, Rama too experienced happiness, along with his army as well as with Sugreeva and Lakshmana, even as Indra the wielder of thunderbolt did on destroying Vritra the demon.
ततो विमुक्त्वा सशरं शरासनं |
महेन्द्रदत्तं कवचं च तन्महत् |
विमुच्य रोषं रिपुनिग्रहात्ततो |
रामः सुसौम्यत्वमुपागतोऽरिह || ६-१११-१२८
128. tataH = thereupon; vimuchya = taking off; sharaasanam = his bow; sasharam = along with his arrows; mahat tat kavacham = and that great armour; mahendradattam = endowed to him by Indra; saH raamaH = that Rama; arihaa = the annihilator of his enemies; vimuktvaa = abandoning; roSham = his anger; ripunigrahaat = because of the defeat of his enemy; tataH = then; upaagataH = obtained; susaumyatvam = charming benevolence.
Thereupon, taking off his bow and arrows as also that great armour endowed to him by Indra, Rama the annihilator of his enemies, taking off his anger too, because of the enemy's defeat, then obtained a charming benevolence.
- - - -
इत्यार्षे श्रीमद्रामायणे आदिकाव्ये युद्धकाण्डे एकादशाधिकशततमः सर्गः
|Top of Page||1||2||3||4|
© July 2009, K. M. K. Murthy