Ravana goes again to the assembly hall, to hold consultations with his ministers, othere important demons and Vibhishana.
sa babhuva kṛśo rājā maithilīkāmamohitaḥ |
asanmānācca suhṛdām pāpaḥ pāpena karmaṇāḥ || 6-11-1
1. saH = that; paapaH = sinful; raajaa = king of demons; maithiliikaamamohitaH = infatuated by his desire for Seetha; babhuuva = became; kR^ishaH = emaciated; asanmaanaacca = despising; suhR^idaam = the kind-hearted; paapena karmaNaa = and by his sinful action.
That sinful Ravana, infatuated by his desire for Seetha, became emaciated by his sinful action and by his despising of well-disposed people like Vibhishana.
atītasamaye kāle tasminve yudhi rāvaṇaḥ |
amātyaiśca suhṛdbhiśca prāptakālamamanyata || 6-11-2
2. tasmi = that; kaale = occasion; yudhi = for war; vai = indeed; atiita samaye = having gone by; raavama = Ravana; amanyata = thought of consultation with; amaatyaishcha = his ministers and; suhR^idbhishca = well-wishers; praapta kaale = to be a fit-time.
Though the occasion for war was lacking Ravana thought of consulting with his ministers and well-wishers then to be a fit time.
sa hemajālavitatam maṇividrumabhūṣitam |
upagamya vinītāśvamāruroha mahārtham || 6-11-3
3. upagamya = approaching; mahaaratham = a great chariot; hemajaalavitatam = covered by a golden net; maNividruma bhuushhitam = adorned with gems and corals; viniitaashvam = and tied with trained horses; saH = he; aaruruha = ascended (it).
Approaching a great chariot, covered by a golden net, adorned with gems and corals and yoked with trained horses, Ravana mounted on it.
tamāsthāya rathaśreṣṭho mahāmeghasamasvanam |
prayayau rakṣasām śreṣṭho daśagrīvaḥ sabhām prati || 6-11-4
4. dashagriivaH = Ravana; shreSThaH = the excellent; rakSasaam = among demons; aasthaaya = mounted; tam = that; rathashreSTham = most beautiful chariot; mahaameghasmasvanam = with a rattling sound resembling the rumbling of a large cloud; prayayau = and preceeded; sabhaam prati = towards the assembling hall.
Ravana the excellent among demons ascended that most beautiful chariot, with a rattling sound resembling the rumbling of a large cloud and then proceeded towards the assembly-hall.
asicarmadharā yodhāḥ sarvāyudhadharāstataḥ |
rākṣasā rākṣasendrasya purastātsampratasthire || 6-11-5
5. tataH = then; yodhaaH = warriors; as carmadharaaH = holding swords and shields; raakSasaaH = and demons; sarvaayudhadharaaH = wearing all tpes of weapons; sampratasthire = marched; purastaat = in front; raakSasendrasya = of that king of demons.
Warriors holding swords and shield as well as demons wearing all types of weapons, marched in front of Ravana.
nānāvikṛtaveṣāśca nānābhūṣaṇabhūṣitāḥ |
pārśvataḥ pṛṣṭhataścainam parivārya yayustadā || 6-11-6
6. naanaa vikR^ita veSaashca = 9demons) wearing all types of unusual dresses; naanaabharaNa bhuushhitaaH = and adoring various kinds of jewellery; tadaa = then; yayuH = marched; parivaarya = surrounding; enam = him; paarshvataH = from sides; pR^iSThatashcaiva = and even from behind.
Demons wearing all types of unusual dresses and adoring various kinds of jewellery then marched, duly surrounding him from sides and even behind.
rathaiścātirathā śīghram mataiśca varavāraṇaiḥ |
amātpeturdaśagrīvamākrīḍadbhiśca vājibhiḥ || 6-11-7
7. atirathaaH = great chariot-warriors; rathaiH = in chariots; varavaaraNaiH = on excellent elephants; mattaiH = in rut; vaajibhishca = and horses; aakriiDadbhiH = sportively coming in different gaits; anuutpetuH dashagriivam = rushed after Ravana; shiighram = quickly.
Great chariot-warriors in chariots, on excellent elephants in rut and horses supportively coming in different gaits, rushed after Ravana quickly.
gadāparighahastāśca śaktitomarapāṇayaḥ |
paraśvathadharāścānye tathānye śūlapāṇayaḥ || 6-11-8
8. gadaaparigha hastaashca = with maces and iron bars in their hands; shaktitomarapaaNayaH = with javelins and iron clubs in their hands; parishvathadharaaH = wearing axes; anye = some others; shuulapaaNayaH = with darts in theirs hands.
Some had maces and iron bars in their hands. Some had javelins and iron clubs. Some were holding axes. Some others had darts in their hands.
tatastūryasahasrāṇām samjajñe niḥsvano mahān |
tumulaḥ śaṅkhaśabdaśca sabhām gaccati ravaṇe || 6-11-9
9. tataH = thereafter; raavaNe = as Ravana; gachchhati = was going; sabhaam = to the assembly hall; mahaan = loud; niHsvanaH = blare; tuuryasahasraaNaam = of thousands of trumpets = tumulaH = and tumultuous; shaNkhashabdashca = noise of couches; samjaN^e = were produced.
As Ravana was proceeding to the assembly-hall, loud blare of thousands of trumpets along with tumultuous noise of conches were produced.
sa nemighoṣeṇa mahānsahasābhininādayan |
rājamārgam śriyā juṣṭam pratipede mahārathaḥ || 6-11-10
10. saH = that; mahaan = excellently; mahaarathaH = great chariot; abhininaadayau = making noise; nemighoSeNa = of the sound of the wheels; sahasaa = soon; pratipade = obtained; raajamaargam = the royal high way; juSTam = possessed; shriyaa = of beauty.
That excellently great chariot, making noise of the sound of its wheels, soon entered the beautiful royal high-way.
vimalam cātapatram ca pagṛhītamaśobhata |
pāṇḍuram rākṣasendrasya pūrṇastāradhipo yathā || 6-11-11
11. aatapatram = the umbrella; vimalam = which was spot-lessly; paaNDuram = white; ashobhata = shone; puurNa taaraadhipoyathaa = like a full moon; pragR^ihiitam = was held; raakSasandraya = (on the head) of Ravana.
The spotlessly white umbrella, held on Ravana's head, shone like a full-moon.
hemañjarigarbhe ca śuddhasphaṭikavigrahe |
cāmaravyajane tasya rejatuḥ savyadakṣiṇe || 6-11-12
12. tasya savyadakSiNe = on his left and right sides; chaamaravyajane = two fans of yak's tails; shuddha sphaTika vigrahe = with crystal handles; hemamaNjarigarbhe = and golden fringes; regatuH = were shining.
On his left and right sides, two fans of yak's tails with crystal handles and golden fringes were shining.
te kṛtāñjalayaḥ sarve rathastham pṛthivīsthitāḥ |
rākṣsā rākṣasaśreṣṭham śirobhistam vavandire || 6-11-13
13. sarve = all; te raakSasaaH = those demons; vavandire = offered theri salutation; shirobhiH = (by bending) their heads; kR^itaaNjalayaH = and by joining their palsm; tam = to him; raakSasashreSTam = the best of demons; rathastham = mounted on the chariot.
All those demons standing on ground offered their salutation by bending their heads and joining their palms to his the best of demons, mounted on the chariot.
rākṣanaiḥ stūyamānaḥ san jayāśīrbhirariṃdamaḥ |
asasāda mahātejāḥ sabhām viracitām tadā || 6-11-14
14. tadaa = then; arindamaH = Ravana the harasser of enemies; san = possessing; mahaatejaH = great splendour; stuuyamaanaH = while being praised; raakSasaiH = by demons; jayashiirbhiH = throught cheers of victory; aasasaada = approached; virachitaam = the arranged; sabhaam = assembly.
Ravana the harasser of enemies, possessing great splendor, while being praised by demons through cheers of victory, approached that organized assembly.
suvarṇarajatāstīrṇām viśuddhasphaṭikāntarām |
virājamāno vapuṣā rukmapaṭṭottaraccadām || 6-11-15
tām piśācaśataiḥ ṣaḍbhirabhiguptām sadāprabhām |
praviveśa mahātejāḥ sukṛtām viśvakarmaṇā || 6-11-16
15;16. mahaatejaaH = Ravana with great splendour; viraajamaanaH = with shining brightly; napuSaa = body; pravivesha = entered; taam = that assembly hall; suvarNarajataastiirNaam = viSuddhasphaTikaantaraam = whose intereior was wrought with pure crystal; rukmapaTTottaraccadaam = carpeted with skins of deer; abhiguptaam = guarded by shaaDbhiH pishaaca shataiH = six hundred evil spirits; sadaaprabhaam = ever shining; sukR^itaam = and well- build; vishvakarmaNaa = by Visvakarma.
Ravana with great splendour, with his body shining brightly, entered that assembly hall, which was paved with gold and silver, whose interior was wrought with pure crystal, carpeted with skins of deer, guarded by six hundred evil spirits, ever shining and well-constructed by Visvakarma.
tasyām sa vaidūryamayam priyākājinasamvṛtam |
mahatsopāśrayam bheje rāvaṇaḥ paramāsanam || 6-11-17
17. saH = that; raavaNaH = Ravana; tasyaam = in that hall; bheje = occupied; mahat = big; paramaasanam = (and) excellent throne; vaiduuryamayam = embedded with jewels (cat's eye gems); priyakaajinasamvR^itam = covered with skin of deer called Priyaka; sopaashrayam = (and) furnished with pillows.
Ravana, that hall, occupied a big and excellent throne embedded with jewels (cat's eye gems), covered with skin of deer called Priyaka and furnished with pillows.
tataḥ śaśāseśvaravaddūtān laghuparākramān |
samānayata me kṣipramihaitān rākṣasāniti || 6-11-18
kṛtyamasti mahājjāne kartavyamiti śatrubhiḥ |
18. tataH = thereafter; iishvaravat = as a king; iti = thus; duutaan = his messengers; laghuparaakramaan = who were mering fast; asti = there is; mahat = a gigantic; kR^ityam = work; jaane = I know; kartvayam iti = what is being done; shatrubhiH = by enemies; samaanayata = bring; iha = here; etaan = these; raakSasaan = demons; kSipram = quickly.
Thereafter Ravana, as a king, ordered his messengers, who were moving fast as follows: "There is a gigantic work before us. I know what the enemies are doing. Therefore, bring all the demons here quickly."
rākṣasāstadvacaḥ śrutvā laṅkāyām paricakramuḥ || 6-11-19
anugehamavasthaya vihāraśayaneṣu ca |
udyāneṣu ca rakkṣaṃsi codayanto hyabhītavat || 6-11-20
19; 20. shrutvaa = hearing;tadvacaH = those words; raakSasaaH = the (messenger) demons; chodayantaH = impelling; rakSaamsi = the demons; avasthaaya = staying; vihaara shayaneSu = in entertainment or in places bed-rooms; udyaaneSuca = or in gardens; paricakramuH = went; abhiitavat = without fear; anugchaam = to every house; laN^kaayaam = in Lanka.
Hearing those words, the messenger impelled the demons staying in entertainment places, in bedrooms or in gardens and went without fear to every house in Lanka.
te rathān rucirāneke dṛptāneke dṛḍhān hayān |
nāganeke.adhiruruhurjagmuścaike padātayaḥ || 6-11-21
21. adhiruruhuH = mounted; te = those demons; eke = some; ruchiraan = beautiful; rathaan = chariots; eke = some; dR^iptaan = wild; dR^iDhaan = and strong hayaan = horses; eke = some; naagaan = elephants; eke = some; jagmuh = wnet; padaatayaH = by foot.
Some of the demons mounted beautiful chariots; some mounted wild and strong horses and some mounted on elephants. Some others went on foot.
sā purī paramākīrṇā rathakuñjaravājibhiḥ |
sampatadbhirviruruce garutmadcirivāmabaram || 6-11-22
22. saa purii = that city; paramaakiirNaa = extremely crowded; rathaa kuNjara vaajibhiH = with chariots; elephants and horses; sampatadbhiH = rushing togeher fast; viruruche = appeared; ambaramiva = like the sky; garutmadbhiH = by the birds.
That city, extremely crowded with chariots elephants and horses rushing fast together, appeared like birds rushing fast in the sky.
te vāhanānyavasthāpya yānāni vividhāni ca |
sabhām padbhiḥ praviviśuḥ simhā giriguhāmiva || 6-11-23
23. avasthaapya = parking; vaahanaani = horses; elephants; vividhaani = and various; yaanaanicha = kinds of vehicles like chariots; te = they; pravivishuH = entered; padbhiH = by foot; sabhaam = the assembly-hall; giriguhaamiva = like a mountain-cave; simhaaH = by lions.
Parking horses, elephants and various kinds vehicles like chariots, they entered by foot the assembly-hall as a mountain-cave is entered by lions.
rājñḥ pādau gṛhītvā tu rājñā te pratipūjitāḥ |
pīṭheṣvanye bṛsīṣvanye bhūmau kecidupāviśan || 6-11-24
24. gR^ihiitvaa = touching; paadau = the feet; raaN^aH = of the king; pratipuujitaaH = and being greeted in turn; raajJNaa = by the king; anye = some; upaavishan = sat down; piiTheSu = on seats; anye = some others; bR^iiSu = on mats(of Kusa grass); kechit = and others; bhuumau = on the ground.
Touching the feet of the king and greeted in turn by the king, some sat down on seats, some others on mats (of Kusa grass) and others on the ground.
te sametya sabhāyām vai rākṣasā rājaśāsanāt |
yathārhamupatasthuste rāvaṇam rākṣasādhipam || 6-11-25
25. sametya = congregating; sabhaayaam = in the assembly-hall; raaja shaasanaat = at the king's command; te raakSasaaH = those demons; te = they; upasthuH = took their position; yathaarham = (each) according to their rank; raavaNam (round) Ravana; raakSasaadhipam = the king of demons.
Congregating in the assembly hall at the king's command, those demons took their position round Ravana the king of demons, each according to their rank.
mantriṇaśca yathāmukhyā niścitārtheṣu paṇḍitāḥ |
amātyāśca guṇopetāḥ sarvajñā buddhidarśanāḥ || 6-11-26
samīyustatra śataśaḥ śūrāśca bahavastathā |
sabhāyām hemavarṇāyām sarvārthasya sukhāya vai || 6-11-27
26;27. mantriNashca = ministers; paNditaaH = who were scholars; nishchitaartheshhu = well-versed in deciding actions; guNopetaaH = those endowed with good qualities; sarvajJNaaH = those who were all-knowing; amaatyaashca = king's ministers; buddhidarshanaaH = who could perceive things by their power of intellect; tathaa = and; bahuvaH = many; shuuraaH = warriors; shatashaH = in hundreds; samiiyuH = gathered; yathaamukhyaaH = according to their importance; sabhaayaam = in assembly hall; hemavarNaayaam- wrapped with gold; sukhaayavai = for felicity; sarvaarthasya = of all actions.
Ministers who were scholars well versed in deciding action those endowed with good qualities, those who were all-knowing, king's ministers who could perceive things by their power of intellect and many warriors in hundreds, gathered according to their importance in that assembly hall, wrapped with gold, for providing felicity in all actions.
tato mahātmā vipulam suyugyam |
ratham varam hemavicitritāṅgam |
śubham samāsthāya yayau yaśasvī |
vibhīṣaṇaḥ saṃsadamagrajasya || 6-11-28
28. tataH = then; vibhiiSaNaH = Vibhishana; mahaatmaa = the hight-souled; yashasvii = and the inllustrious; aasthaaya = ascended; varam = the excellent; ratham = chariot; vipulam = which was spacious; suyugyam = yoked with good horses; hemavichitritaaN^gam = its various parts decked with gold; shubham = and auspicious; yayau = and drove; samsadam = towards assembly-hall; agrajasya = of his elder brother; Ravana.
The high-souled and illustrious VibhiShana ascended an excellent auspicious and spacious chariot yoked with good horses with its various parts decked in gold and drove towards the assembly-hall of Ravana his elder brother.
sa pūrvajāyāvarajaḥ śaśaṃsa |
nā mātha paścāccaraṇau vavande |
śukaḥ prahastaśca tathaiva tebhyo |
dadau yathārham pR^thagāsanāni || 6-11-29
29. atha = thereafter; saH = that; avarajaH = younger brogher; shashamsa = told; naama = his name; pashchaat = then; vavande = saluted; charaNau = the feet; shukaH = Suka; prahastashcha = and Prahasta; tathaiva; (saluted) likewise (Ravana); dadau = gave; aasanaani = seats; tebhyaH = to them; pR^ithak = separately; yathaarham = according to their rank.
Then, that younger brother Vibhishana told Ravana his name and offered salutation to the feet. Suka and Prahasta followed suit. Ravana gave them suitable seats separately.
suvāsasām saṃsadi rākṣasānām |
teṣām parārthyagurucandanānām |
srajām ca gandhāḥ pravavuḥ samantāt || 6-11-30
30. gandhaaH = the aroma; paraarthyaaguru chandanaanaam = of the best aloe and sandal paste; teSaam rakSasaanaam = painted on those demons; srajaamca = and of garlands; suvarNanaanaamaNi = of gold and gems; suvaasasaam = and attired in good clothes; pravavuH = diffused; samantaat = all round; samsadi = in the assembly-hall.
The aroma of the best aloe and sandal paste painted on the persons as also of garlands worn round the necks of those demons duly adorned with ornaments of gold and gems and attired in excellent clothes diffused all round in the assembly-hall.
na cukruśurnānṛtamāha kaści |
tsabhāsado nāpi jajalpuruccaiḥ |
saṃsiddhārthaḥ sarva evogravīryā |
bhartuḥ sarve dadṛśuścānanam te || 6-11-31
31. sabhaasadaH = the assembled persons; na chukrushuH = did not yell loudly; na kashchit = No one; aaha = uttered; anR^itam = untruth; na jajulpuH api = not even talked; uchchaiH = loudly; sarve = all of them; samsiddhaarthaaH = were ready for action; ugraviiryaaH = and were endowed with terrible energy; te sarve = all of them; dadR^ishuH = perceived; bhartuH = their lord's aanaam = face.
The assembled persons there did not yell loudly. None uttered untruth or even talked vociferously. All of them were ready for action and were endowed with terrible energy. All of them sat, perceiving their lord's face.
sa rāvaṇaḥ śastrabhṛtām manasvinām |
mahābalānām samitau manasvī |
tapyām sabhāyām prabhayā cakāśe |
madhye vasūnāmiva vajrahastaḥ || 6-11-32
32. tasyaam sabhaayaam = In that assembly; saH raavaNaH = that Ravana; manasvii = full of mind; chakashe = shone; samitau = prabhayaa = with brilliance; samitau = among the assmeblage; mahaabalaanaam = of those demons possessing great strength; vajrahastaH iva = like Devendra (the Lord of heaven); madhye = amidst; vasuunaam = Vasus (a class of gods)
In that assembly, that Ravana, full of mind, shone with brilliance among the assemblage of those demons possessing great strength, like Devendra (the Lord of heaven) amidst Vasus (a class of gods)
- - - -
ityārṣe śrīmadrāmāyaṇe ādikāvye yuddhakāṇḍe ekādaśaḥ sargaḥ
|Top of Page||1||2||3||4|
© July 2003, K. M. K. Murthy
World Wide view of
verse and locator
Fastest FTPS anywhere, FREE Go FTP Software