Vibhishana laments a lot, after seeing Ravana lying dead on the battle-field. Rama comforts him, saying that a warrior killed in battle, need not be mourned. Vibhishana describes the personality of Ravana and his qualities to Rama and seeks permission of Rama to perform funeral rites to Ravana. Rama directs Vibhishana to perform the obsequies to Ravana, his deceased brother.
भ्रातरं निहतं दृष्ट्वा शयानं निर्जितं रणे |
शोकवेगपरीतात्मा विललाप विभीषणः || ६-१०९-१
1. dR^iShTvaa = seeing; bhraataram = his brother; shayaanam = lying down; nihatam = dead; nirjitam = after defeat; raNe = in battle; vibhiiShaNaH = Vibhishana; vilalaapa = lamented; shokavega pariitaatmaa = with his mind filled with an outburst of sorrow.
Seeing his brother lying down dead after defeat in battle, Vibhishana lamented, with his mind filled with an outburst of sorrow:
वीर विक्रान्त विख्यात प्रवीण नयकोविद |
महार्हशयनोपेत किं शेषे निहतो भुवि || ६-१०९-२
2. kim = why; sheShe = are you lying; nihataH = killed; bhuvi = on the ground?; viira = O hero!; vikraanta = the valiant one!; vikhyaata = the celebrated one!; praviiNa = O the skillful one; nayakovida = prudent in polity!; mahaarhashayanopeta = though the highly worthy of turning towards lofty beds.
"Why are you lying killed on the ground, though you are highly worthy of turning towards lofty beds, O hero! The valiant one, the celebrated one, prudent in polity?"
निक्षिप्य दीर्घौ निश्चेष्टौ भुजावङ्गदभूषितौ |
मुकुटेनापवृत्तेन भास्कराकारवर्चसा || ६-१०९-३
3. dirghau bhuhau nikShipya = having thrown about your two long arms; aN^gada bhuuShitau = which though decked with armlets; nishcheShTau = are (now) motionless; mukuTena = and with your diadem; bhaaskaakaara varchasaa = brilliant as the sun; apavR^ittena = knocked down; (why are you lying killed on the ground?)
"Having thrown about your two long arms which though decked wit armlets, are now motionless and with your diadem brilliant as the sun, knocked down; why are you lying killed on the ground/"
तदिदं वीर संप्राप्तं यन्मया पूर्वमीरितम् |
काममोहपरीतस्य यत्त्न्न रुचितं तव || ६-१०९-४
4. viira = O the valiat brother!; yat = that which; iiritam = was told; mayaa = by me; puurvam = earlier; yat = and that; na ruchitan = which was not liked; tava = by you; kaama moha pariitasya = overcome as you were with sensuality and infatuation; tat idam = that very fate; praaptam = has been obtained (by you).
"O the valiant brother! That which was told by me earlier and that which was not liked by you, as you were overcome with sensuality and infatuation; that very fate has been obtained by you."
यन्न दर्पात् प्रहस्तो वा नेन्द्रजिन्नापरे जनाः |
न कुम्भकर्णोऽतिरथो नातिकायो नरान्तकः || ६-१०९-५
न स्वयं त्वममन्येथास्तस्योदर्कोऽयमागतः |
5. yat = for that which; darpaat = because of arrogance; na prahato vaa = netither prahasta; indrajit na apare janaaH = nor Indrajit and others; na kumbhakarNaH = nor kumbhakarna; atirathaH = nor Atiratha; atikaayaH = nr Atikaya; na naraantakaH = nor Narantaka; na tvam svayam = nor you yourself; amanyethaaH = has agreed; tasya ayan udarkaH = this consequence of it; aagataH = has come.
"For that which, because of arrogance, neither Prahasta nor Indrajit and others, nor Kumbhakarna nor Atiratha nor Narantaka nor you yourself has agreed to my counsel, the consequence of it has come now."
गतः सेतुः सुनीतीनां गतो धर्मस्य विग्रहः || ६-१०९-६
गतः सत्त्वस्य संक्षेपह् प्रस्तावानां गतिर्गता |
आदित्यः पतितो भूमौ मग्नस्तमसि चन्द्रमाः || ६-१०९-७
6-7. asmin viire = as this hero; vare = the foremost; shastra bhR^itaam = among those who wield weapons; nipatite = has fallen; bhuumau = on the ground setuH = the established rule; suniitiinaam = of well-conducted persons; gataH = has gone; vigrahaH = the incarnation; dharmasya = of virtue; gataH = has departed; samkShepaH = the epitome; sattvasya = of strength; gataH = has gone; gatiH = the refuge; prastaavaanaam = enlogies; gataa = has gone out of sight; aadityaH = the sun; patitaH = has fallen; bhuumau = to the earth; chandramaaH = the moon; magnaH = has merged; tamasi = in darkness; chitrabhaanuH = fire; prashaantaarchiH = has extinguished its flames; vyavasaayaH = and a strennous; nirudyamaH = has become inactive.
"As this hero, the foremost of those who wield the weapons, has fallen on the ground, the established rule of well-conducted persons has gone. The incarnation of virtue has departed. The epitome of strength has gone. The refuge of enlogies has gone out of sight. The sun has fallen to the earth. The moon has merged in darkness. Fire has extinguished its flames and a strennous effort has become inactive."
चित्रभानुः प्रशान्तार्चिर्व्यवसायो निरुद्यमः |
अस्मिन्निपतिते वीरे भूमौ शस्त्रभृतां वरे || ६-१०९-८
8. kim = what; sheSham = is remaining; lokasya = in this world; iha = now; raakShasashaarduule = while Ravana the foremost among demons; samprati = is now; prasupte iva = lying fast asleep; paamsuShu = in the dust?
"What is remaining in this world now, while Ravana the foremost of demons, is at present lying fast asleep in the dust?"
किं शेषमिह लोकस्य गतस्त्त्वस्य संप्रति |
रणे राक्षसशार्दूले प्रसुप्त इव पांसुषु || ६-१०९-९
9. dR^itipravaalaH = with firmness for its shoot; prasahaagryapuSpaH = endurance for its excellent bloossom; tapabalaH = asceticism for its strength; shauryanibaddha muulaH = and valour for its firm root; mahaan raakShasaraaja vR^ikShaH = the large tree in the shape of Ravana; sammarditaH = has been crsuhed; raNe = in the battle-field; raaghava maarutena = by the tempest in the shape of Rama.
"With firmness for its shoot, endurance for its excellent blossom, asceticism for its strength, and valour for its firm root, the large tree in the shape of Ravana has been crushed in the battle-field, by the tempest in the shape of Rama."
धृतिप्रवालः प्रसहाग्र्यपुष्प |
स्तपोबलः शौर्यनिबद्धमूलः |
रणे महान् राक्षसराजवृक्षः |
संमर्दितो राघवमारुतेन || ६-१०९-१०
10. tejoviShaNaH = with sharpness for its tusks; kula vamshavamshaH = the line of ancesters for its back-bone; kopa prasaadaapara gaatrahastaH = anger for its lower parts and graciousness for its proboscis; raavaNagandhahastii = the elephant in rut in the shape of suptaH = is lying asleep; kShitau = on the ground; ikShvaaku simhaavagR^ihiita dehaH = its body having been overthrown by a lion in the shape of Rama.
"With sharpness for its tusks, the line of ancestors for its back-bone, anger for its lower parts and graciousness for its proboscis, the elephant in rut in the shape of Ravana is lying asleep on the ground, its body having been overthrown by a lion in the shape of Rama."
तेजोविषाणः कुलवंशवंशः |
सुप्तः क्षितौ रावणगन्धहस्ती || ६-१०९-११
11. paraakramotsaahavijR^ibhitaarchiH = with prowess and power for its expanded flames; niHshvaasadhuumaH = sighs for its smoke; svabalaprataapaH = and his native strength for its glowing heat; agniH prataapavaan = the blazing fire; raakShasah = in the shape of Ravana; the demon; nirvaapitaH = has been extinguished; samyati = in the battle0field; raamapayodhareNa = by the rainy cloud in the shape of Rama.
"With prowess and power for its expanded flames, sighs for its smoke and his native strength for its glowing heat, the blazing fire in the shape of Ravana the demon has been extingushed in the battle-field by the rainy cloud in the shape of Rama."
र्निःश्वासधूमः स्वबलप्रतापः |
प्रतापवान् संयति राक्षसाग्नि |
र्निर्वापितो रामपयोधरेण || ६-१०९-१२
12. simharkSha laaN^guulaka kudviShaNaH = with the demons for its tail; hump and horns; chaapalakarNa chakShuH = and fickleness for its ears and eyes; rakSho vR^iShabhaH = the bull in the shape of Ravana; the demon; paraabhijit = the conqueror of its enemies; gandhanagandha vaaha = which vied with the wind in energy; avasannaH = is lying dead; kShitiishvaravyaaghra hataH = struck down by a tiger in the shape of Rama; the ruler of the earth.
"With the demons for its tail; hump and horn and fickleness for its ears and eyes, the bull in the shape of Ravana the demon, the conqueror of its enemies, which vied with the wind in energy, is lying dead, struck down by a tiger in the shape of Rama, the ruler of the earth."
क्षितीश्वरव्याग्रहतोऽवसन्नः || ६-१०९-१३
13. vibhiiShaNam = to Vibhishana; vadantam = who was speaking thus; shoka samaaviShTam = enveloped in sorrow; raamaH = Rama; uvaacha = spoke; iti vaakyam = the following words; hetumat = full of reason; paridR^iShTaarthanishchayam = and which revealed his determined view of the matter.
To Vibhishana, who was thus speaking; enveloped in sorrow, Rama spoke the following words, full of reason and which revealed his determined view of the matter.
वदन्तं हेतुमद्वाक्यं परिदृष्टर्थनिश्चयम् |
रामः शोकसमाविष्टमित्युवाच विभीषणम् || ६-१०९-१४
14. ayam = He (Ravana); na vinaShTaH = did not die; samare = in battle; nishcheShTaH = without making an effort; ayam patitaH = He has fallen (in combat); chaN^Da vikramaH = eventhough he was endowed with terrible prowess; atyunnatamahotsaahaH = and exhibited extra ordinary enthusiasm of a very exalted type; ashaNkitaH = and remained confident (throughout).
"Ravana did not die in battle, without making an effort. He has fallen in combat, eventhough he was endowed with terrible prowess and exhibited extra ordinary enthusiasm of a very exalted type and remained confident throughout."
नायं विनष्टो निश्चेष्टः समरे चण्डविक्रमः |
अत्युन्नतमहोत्साहः पतितोऽयमशङ्कितः || ६-१०९-१५
15. evam na shochyante = there is no occasion to grieve; nipatanti vinaShTaaH = raNaajire = for him having fallen into death in the battle-field; ye vR^iddhim aashamsamaanaaH = by whom the development was wished for; kShatra dharma vyavasthitaaH = while remaining steadfast in the duty of kshatriya; the warrior.
"There is no occasion to grieve for him having fallen into death in the battle-field and by whom the development of his country was wished for, while remaining steadfast in the duty of Kshatriya the warrior."
नैवं विनष्टाः शोच्यन्ते क्षत्रधर्मव्यवस्थिताः |
वृद्धिमाशंसमाना ये निपतन्ति रणाजिरे || ६-१०९-१६
16. na kaalaH = there is no occasion; parishochitum = to grieve; tasmin kaala samaayukta = for his having been brought under the sway of death; yudhi = in battle; yena = by whom; dhiimataa = intelligent as he was; trayaH lokaaH = all the three worlds; sendraaH = including Indra; traasitaaH = were frightened.
"There is no occasion to grieve for his having been brought under the sway of death by whom intelligent as he was, all the three worlds including indra were frightened."
येन सेन्द्रास्त्रयो लोकास्त्रासिता युधि धीमता |
तस्मिन् कालसमायुक्ते न कालः परिशोचितुम् || ६-१०९-१७
17. bhuuta puurvaH = in the past; na = none; kadaachana ekaanta vijayaH = has ever been exclusively victorius; yuddhe = in a combat; viiraH = A hero; hanyateNaa = has either been killed; paraiH = by his adversaries; hanti vaa = or has killed; paraan = the enemies; samyuge = in battle.
"In the past, none has ever been exclusively victorious in a combat. A hero either has been killed by his adversaries or had killed the enemies in battle."
नैकान्तविजयो युद्धे भूतपूर्वः कदाचन |
परैर्वा हन्यते वीरः परान्वा हन्ति संयुगे || ६-१०९-१८
18. iyam gatiH = such is the destiny; samdiShTaa = proclaimed; puurvaiH = by the ancients; kShatriyasammataa = as highly esteemed for a warrior; kShatriyaH = a warrior; nihataH = killed; samkhye = in battle; na shochyaH = does not deserve to be mourned; iti nishchayaH = such is the ascertainment of the sacred scriptures.
"Such is the destiny proclaimed by the ancients, as highly esteemed for a warrior. A warrior killed in battle, does not deserve to be mourned. Such is the ascertainment of the sacred scriptures."
इयं हि पूर्वैः संदिष्टा गतिः क्षत्रियसंमता |
क्षत्रियो निहतः संख्ये न शोच्य इति निश्चयः || ६-१०९-१९
19. tat = therefore; dR^iShTvaa = seeing; evam nishchayam = this ascertainment; aasthaaya tattvam = understanding the true principle; vijvaraH = and free from grief; iha anuchintaya = think here of; yat = what; kaaryam = duty; tat kalpyam = that deserves to be performed; anantaram = thereafter.
"Therefore, seeing this ascertainment, understanding the true principle, and free from grief, think here of what duty that deserves to be performed."
तदेवं निश्चयं दृष्ट्वा तत्त्वमास्थाय विज्वरः |
यदिहानन्तरं कार्यं कल्प्यं तदनुचिन्तय || ६-१०९-२०
20. vikraantam tam raajaputram = to that valiant prince; Rama; uktavaakyam = by whom the aforesaid words were spoken; vibhiiShaNah = Vibhishana; shoka samtaptaH = who was tormented with grief; uvaacha = spoke; hitam = about the suitable action; anantaram = to be done next; bhraatuH = in relation to his brother.
To that valiant prince (Rama) by whom the aforesaid words were spoken, Vibhishana, who was tormented with grief, spoke (as follows) about the suitable action to be done next in relation to his brother.
योऽयं विमर्देष्वविभग्नपूर्वः |
सुरैः समस्तैरपि वासवेन |
भवन्तमासाद्य रणे विभग्नो |
वेलामिवासाद्य यथा समुद्रः || ६-१०९-२१
21. yaH ayam = this demon who; avibhagna puurvaH = had never been conquered before; vimardeShu = in battle; samastaiH surairapi = by even all the gods combined; vaasavena = or by Indra himself; vibhagnaH = has been conquered; aasaadya = on confronting; bhavantam = you; raNe = in the battle-field; samudraH yathaa = as the sea; (breaks up); aasaadya = on reaching; velaam = the shore.
"The demon, who had never been conquered before in battles, by even all the gods combined or by Indra himself, has been conquered, on confronting you in the battle-field, as the sea breaks up, on reaching the shore."
अनेन दत्तानि वनीपकेषु |
भुक्ताश्च भोगा निभृताश्च भृत्याः |
धनानि मित्रेषु समर्पितानि |
वैराण्यमित्रेषु निपातितानि || ६-१०९-२२
22. anena = by him; dattaani = gifts were endowed; vaniipakeShu = to mendicants; bhogaashcha = pleasures too; bhuktaaH = were enjoyed; bhR^ityaaH = the kings servents; nibhR^itaaH = were fully maintained; dhaanaani = riches; samarpitaani = were made over; mitreShu = to friends; vairaaNi = grudges; amitreShu = against enemies; nipaatitaani = were revenged.
"By him, gifts were endowed to to mendicents. Pleasures too were enjoyed. The king's servents were fully maintained. Rches were made over to friends. Grudges against enemiies were revenged."
एषोहिताग्निश्च महातपाश्च |
वेदन्तगः कर्मसु चाग्र्यशूरः |
एतस्य यत्प्रेतगतस्य कृत्यं |
तत्कर्तुमिच्छामि तव प्रसादात् || ६-१०९-२३
23. eShaH = he; hitaagniH = (maintained) perpetually sacred fire; mahaatapaashcha = He practised great religious austerities; vedaantagaH = He completely mastered the Vedas; the sacred scriptures; agrashuuraH = he was highly proficient; karmasucha = in even the ritual acts; ichchhaami = i desire; kartum = to do; yat = that; tava prasaadaat = with your graciousness which; kR^itya = is to be done; pretagatasya etasya = to him; who has departed to the other world.
"He maintained a perpetually sacred fire. he practised great religious austerities. He completely mastered Vedas, the sacred scriptures. He was highly proficient even in the ritual acts. I desire to do, with you graciousness, that which is to be performed to him, who has departed to the other world."
स तस्य वाक्यैः करुणैर्महात्मा |
संबोधितः साधु विभीषणेन |
आज्ञापयामास नरेन्द्रसूनुः |
स्वर्गीयमाधानमदीनसत्त्वः || ६-१०९-२४
24. saadhu sambodhitaH = thus getting the personality of Ravana well acquainted; vibhiShaNena = by Vibhishana; tasya karuNaiH vakyaiH = by his compassionate words; saH = that; narendrasuuH = Rama; adiina sattvaH = possessing unimpaired goodness; aaJNaapayaamaasa = directed; aadhaanam = to perform funeral rites; svargiiyam = which were intended to lead the departed soul to heaven.
Thus getting the personality of Ravana well-acquainted by vibhishana by his compassionate words, Rama possessing unimpaired goodness, directed Vibhishana to perfom funeral rites, which were intended to lead the departed soul to heaven:
मरणान्तानि वैराणि निर्वृत्तं नः प्रयोजनम् |
क्रियतामस्य संस्कारो ममाप्येष यथा तव || ६-१०९-२५
25. vairaani = hostilities; maraNaantaani = end with death; naH = our; prayojanam = purpose; nirvR^ittam = has been accomplished; asya samskaaraH = let his funeral rites; kriyataam = be performed; eShaH = he; mamaapi = is as good mine even; yathaa tava = as yours.
"Hostilities end with death. Our purpose has been accomplished. Let his funeral rites be performed. He is even as good mine, as yours."
- - - -
इत्यार्षे श्रीमद्रामायणे आदिकाव्ये युद्धकाण्डे नवाधिकशततमः सर्गः
|Top of Page||1||2||3||4|
© July 2009, K. M. K. Murthy
Read more about:
its and verse
Fastest FTPS on the planet Go FTP FREE Client