Seeing Ravana's chariot coming, Rama asks Matali the charioteer to be on his guard. Bad omens prognosticating the fall of Ravana and good omens predicting the victory of Rama appeared in the scene of battle-field.
सारथिः स रथम् हृष्टं परसैन्यप्रधर्षणम् |
गन्धर्वनगराकारं समुच्छ्रितपाताकिनम् || ६-१०६-१
युक्तं परमसंपन्नैर्वाइभिर्हेममालिभिः |
युद्धोपकरणैः पूर्णं पताकाध्वजमालिनम् || ६-१०६-२
ग्रसन्तमिव चाकाशं नादयन्तं वसुंधराम् |
प्रणाशं परनैन्यानां स्वनैन्यस्य प्रहर्षणम् || ६-१०६-३
रावणस्य रथं क्षिप्रं चोदयामास सारथिः |
1; 2. saH saarathiH = that charioteer; hR^iShTaH = thrilling with rapture; kShipram = quickly; chodayaamaasa = drove forward; raavaNasya ratham = Ravana's chariot; para sainya pradharShaNam = which attacked the army of enemies; gandharva nagaraakaaram = which was in form of Gandharva-city; an imaginary city in the sky; samuchchhrita pataakinam = mounted with flags; yuktam = yoked; vaajibhiH = with horses; parama sampannaiH = of excellent quality; hema maalibhiH = having golden necklaces; puurNam = filled; yuddhopakaraNaiH = with war-implements; patakaadhvajamaalinam = garlanded with flags and banners; grasantamiva = as though devouring the sky; naadayantam vasundharaam = making the earth; resound; praNaasham = which destroyed; parasainyaanaam = the army of adversaries; para sainyaanaam = the army of adversaries; pracharShaNam = and caused delight; sva sainyasya = to its own army.
Thrilling with rapture, that charioteer, the charioteer of Ravana, drove forward quickly, his chariot, a chariot, which was capable of attacking the army of enemies, a wonderful piece of art like Gandharva-city, an imaginary city in the sky, mounted with flags, yoked with horses of excellent quality adorned with golden necklaces, filled with war-implements, adorned with rows of flags and banners, which was devouring the sky as it were, making the earth resound, which was the destroyer of the army of adversaries and caused delight to its own.
तमापतन्तन् सहसा स्वनवन्तं महाध्वजम् || ६-१०६-४
रथन् राक्षसराजस्य नरराजो ददर्श ह |
कृष्णवाजिसमायुक्तन् युक्तं रौद्रेण वर्चसा || ६-१०६-५
दीप्यमानमिवाकाशे विमानं सूर्यवर्चसं |
तडित्पताकागहनन् दर्शितेन्द्रायुधायुधम् || ६-१०६-६
3; 4; 5; 6. nararaajaH = Rama; dadarshaha = saw; tam = that; raakShasa raajasya ratham = Ravana's chariot; aapatantam = which was coming; sahasaa = speedily; svanavantam = with a noise; mahaa dhvajam = with a large flag-staff; kR^iShNa raajisamaayuktam = yoked with black horses; yuktam = endowed; raudreNa varchasaa = with a terrific luster; vimaanamiva = like an aerial car; diipyamaanam = blazing; aakaashe = in the sky; suuryavarchasam = with a luster of the sun; taDitpataakaagahanam = filled with lightning-like flags; darshitendraayudhaprabham = and with a beautiful appearance of a rain-bow.
Rama saw that Ravana's chariot, which was coming speedily with a noise, bearing a large flag-staff, yoked with black horses, endowed with a terrific luster, blazing like an aerial car in the sky, with a luster of the sun, filled with lightning-like flags and with a beautiful appearance of a rain-bow.
शरधारा विमुञ्चन्तन् धारासारमिवान्बुदम् |
तन् दृष्ट्वा मेघसङ्काशमापतन्तन् रथं रिपोः || ६-१०६-७
गिरेर्वज्राभिमृष्टस्य दीर्यतः सदृशस्वनम् |
विस्पारयन्वै वेगेन बालचन्द्रानतं धनुः || ६-१०६-८
उवाच मातलिन् रामः सहस्राक्षस्य मातलिम् |
7; 8. dR^iShTvaa = seeing; vimuNchantam = (that chariot) releasing; sharadharaaH = streams of arrows; ambudamiva = like a cloud; (releasing) dharaasaaram = streams of rain; sadR^isha svanam = with a noise equal to that; diiryataH gireH = of a bursting mountain; vajraabhimR^iShTasya = struck with a diamond; raamaH = Rama; vegena = quickly; visphaarayan = after stretching; dhanuH = his bow; baalachandraanatam = in a crescent shape; uvaacha = spoke; maatalim = to Matali; sahasraakShasya saarathin = Indra's charioteer (as follows):
Seeing that chariot, releasing streams of arrows, like a cloud releasing streams of rain, with a noise equal to that of a bursting mountain, struck with a diamond, Rama after stretching his bow in a crescent shape, spoke to Matali, Indra's charioteer as follows:
मातले पश्य सन्रब्धमापतन्तन् रथं रिपोः || ६-१०६-९
यथापसव्यं पतता वेगेन महता पुनः |
समरे हन्तुमात्मानन् तथानेन कृता मतिः || ६-१०६-१०
9; 10. Maatale = O Matali!; pashya = look at; ripoh ratham = this chariot of the enemy; aapatantam = coming forward; samrabdham = furiously; yathaa = as; anena = by him; punaH = once more; patataa = comng; mahataa vegena = with a great speed; apasavyam = from the right to the left; tathaa = therefore; matikR^itaa = heart has been set; hantum = upon destroying; aatmaanam = himself samara = in the battle.
"O Matali! From the way in which the enemy is marching forward from left to right with a great speed in his chariot more, it appears that heart has been set by him upon destroying himself in the battle."
तदप्रमादमातिष्ठ प्रत्युद्गच्छ रथन् रिपोः|
विध्वन्सयितुमिच्छामि वायुर्मेघमिवोत्थितम् || ६-१०६-११
11. tat = therefore; aatiShTha apramaadam = take care; pratyudgachchha = and go opposite to; ripoH ratham = the chariot of the enemy; ichchhaami = I wish; vidhvamsayitum = to destroy (it); vaayuH iva = even as the wind; utthitam = would blow; megham = a cloud.
"Therefore, take care and march forward, facing the chariot of the enemy I wish to destroy it, even as the wind would blow a cloud."
रश्मिसञ्चारनियतं प्रचोदय रथन् द्रुतम् || ६-१०६-१२
12. aviklabam = without fear; asambhraantam = and without flurry; avyagrahR^idayekShaNam and with a steady heart and vision; rashmi samchaara niyatam = and the move of the reins fully controlled; prachodaya = drive; ratham = the chariot; drutam = swiftly.
"Without fear and flurry and with a steady heart and vision, and the movement of the reins fully controlled, drive the chariot swiftly."
कामं न त्वन् समाधेयः पुरन्दररथोचितः |
युयुत्सुरहमेकाग्रः स्मारये त्वां न शिक्षये || ६-१०६-१३
13. tvam = you; na samaadheya = need not be instructed (by me); purandara rathochitaH = accustomed as you are to drive the chariot of Indra the lord of celestials; aham yuyutsuH = keen as I am to fight; ekaagraH = with a close attention smaaraye = I am just reminding; tvaam = you; na shikShaye = and not teaching you.
"You need not be instructed by me, accustomed as you are to drive the chariot of Indra the lord of celestials. Keen as I am to fight with a close attention, I am just reminding you and not teaching you."
परितुष्टः स रामस्य तेन वाक्येन मातलिः |
प्रचोदयामास रथन् सुरसारथिसत्तमः || ६-१०६-१४
14. parituShTaH = extremely gratified; tena vaakyena = with those words; raamasya = of Rama; saH maataliH = that Matali; uttamaH = the excellent; sura saarathiH = charioteer of gods; prachodayaamaase = drove on; ratham = the chariot.
Extremely gratified with those words of Rama, that Matali the excellent charioteer of gods drove on the chariot.
अपसव्यन् ततः कुर्वन्रावणस्य महारथम् |
चक्रोत्क्षिप्तेन रजसा रावणन् व्यवधूनयत् || ६-१०६-१५
15. kurvan = passing; mahaa ratham = the huge chariot; raavaNasya = of Ravana; apasavyam = on the right; tataH = (the charioteer) then; raavaNam = (set) Ravana; vyavadhuunayam = shaking; chakra sambhuuta rajasaa = by the dust risen from the wheels (of his own chariot).
Passing the huge chariot of Ravana on the right, the charioteer then set Ravana shaking, by the dust risen from the wheels of his own chariot.
ततः क्रुद्धो दशग्रीवस्ताम्रविस्फारितेक्षणः |
रथप्रतिमुखन् रामं सायकैरवधूनयत् || ६-१०६-१६
16. kruddhaH = the enraged; dashagriivaH = Ravana; tataH = then; taamra visphaaritekShaNaH = with his coppery eyes wide open; avadhuunayat = trembled; raamam = Rama; rathapramukhan = who stood facing his chariot; saayakaiH = with arrows.
The enraged Ravana then, with his coppery eyes wide open, trembled Rama, who stood facing his chariot, with arrows.
धर्षणामर्षितो रामो धैर्यन् रोषेण लङ्घयन् |
जग्राह सुमहावेगमैन्द्रन् युधि शरासनम् || ६-१०६-१७
17. lambhayan dhairyam = meeting fortitude; roSheNa = with anger; dharShaNaamarShitaH = though provoked with assault; raamaH = Rama; jagraaha = took hold; aindram sharaasanam = of Indra's bow; sumahaavegam = which was possessed of extra ordinary impulse; yudhi = in the battle-field.
Meeting fortitude with anger, though provoked with assault, Rama took hold of Indra's bow, which was possessed of extra ordinary impulse in the battle-field.
शरांश्च सुमहातेजाः सूर्यरश्मिसमप्रभान् |
तदुपोढं महद्युद्धमन्योन्यवधकाङ्क्षिणोः || ६-१०६-१८
परस्पराभिमुखयोर्दृप्तयोरिव सिन्हयोः |
18. sharaan cha = he also seized hold of arrows; sumahaavegaan = of exceeding swiftness; suurya rashmi samaprabhaan = which were shining like sun-beams; upoDham = (Then) began; tat mahat = that great; yuddham = battle; anyonya vadrakaaNkShiNau = between the two warriors (Rama and Ravana) who wee desirous of killing each other; parasparaabhimukhayoH = and who were facing each other; dR^iptayoH simhayoriva = like two proud lions.
He also seized hold of arrows of exceeding swiftness, which were shining like sun-beams. Then began that great battle between the two warriors (Rama and Ravana) who were desirous of killing each other, while facing each other like two proud lions.
ततो देवाः सगन्धर्वाः सिद्धाश्च परमर्षयः || ६-१०६-१९
समीयुर्द्वैरथन् द्रष्टुन् रावणक्षयकाङ्क्षिणः |
19. tataH = then; devaah = the gods; sagandharvaaH = along with Gandharvas the celestial musicians; siddhaashcha = Siddhas; the demigods; paramarShayaH = and great sages; raavaNa kShayakaaNkShiNaiH = desirous of Ravana's ruin; samiiyuH = arrived; draShTum = to see; dvairatham = the battle of both the chariot-warriors.
Then, the gods along with the Gandharvas the celestial musicians, Siddhas the demigods and great sages, desirous of Ravana's ruin, arrived to see the battle of both the chariot-warrriors.
समुत्पेतुरथोत्पाता दारुणा लोमहर्षणाः || ६-१०६-२०
रावणस्य विनाशाय राघवस्य जयाय च |
20. atha = thereupon; daaruNaaH = terrific; utpaataaH = portents; romaharShaNaaH = that caused one's hair to stand on end; samutpetuH = appeared; raavaNasya vinaashaaya = giving an augury of doom to Ravana; raaghavasya udayaaaya cha = and prosperity to Rama.
Thereupon, terrific portents that caused one's hair to stand on end, appeared giving an augury of doom to Ravana and prosperity to Rama.
ववर्ष रुधिरन् देवो रावणस्य रथोपरि || ६-१०६-२१
वाता मण्डलिनस्तीव्रा अपसव्यं प्रचक्रमुः |
21. devaH = the god of rains; vavarSha = poured; rudhiram = blood; raavaNasya rathopari = on Ravana's chariot; tiivraaH- horrible; vaataaH = winds; rachakramuH = blew; apasavyam = from right to the left; maN^DalinaH = forming circles.
The god of rains poured blood on Ravana's chariot. Horrible winds blew from right to left, forming circles.
महद् गृध्रकुलन् चास्य भ्रममाणं नभस्तले || ६-१०६-२२
येन येन रथो याति तेन तेन प्रधावति |
22. mahat = a large; gR^idhrakulam = flock of vultures; bhramamaaNam = roaming about; nabhastale = in the sky; pradhaavati = was flying forward; tena tena = in the same way; yena yena = in which; asya rathaH = Ravana's chariot; yaati = was going.
A large flock of vultures, roaming about in the sky, was flying forward in the same direction in which Ravana's chariot was going.
सन्ध्यया चावृता लङ्का जपापुष्पनिकाशया || ६-१०६-२३
दृश्यते सम्प्रदीतेव दिवसेअपि वसुन्धरा |
23. laN^kaa = Lanka; aavR^itaa = was overcast; samdhyayaa = with dusk; japaapuShpanikaashayaa = resembling a (red) Japa flower; vasumdharaa = the land (in Lanka); divase.api = as also the day; dR^ishyate = appeared; sampradiipteva = as if; they were blazing.
Lanka was overcast with dusk, resembling a (red) Japa flower. The land in Lanka, as also the day appeared as if they were blazing.
सनिर्घाता महोल्काश्च सम्प्रचेतुर्महास्वनाः || ६-१०६-२४
विषादयन्त्यो रक्षान्सि रावणस्य तदाहिताः |
24. maholkaashcha = Large meteors; sanirghaataaH = along with lightnings; samprapetuH = fell; mahaasvanaaH = with great noise; te = those entities ahitaaH = inimical; raavaNasya = to Ravana; rakShaamsi viShaadayan = made demons to lament.
Large meteors, along with lightnings fell with great noise. Those entities, inimical to Ravana, made demons to lament.
रावणश्च यतस्तत्र प्रचचाल वसुन्धरा || ६-१०६-२५
रक्षसान् च प्रहरतां गृहीता इव बाहवः |
25. vasumdharaa = the earth; yataH = on which; raavaNaH = Ravana; tatra = was there; prachachaala = trembled; baahavaH = the arms; rakShasaamcha = of demons; praharataam = who were fighting; gR^ihiitaa iva = were like as if they were clasped.
The earth on which Ravana was there, trembled. The arms of fighting demons looked as if they were clasped.
ताम्राः पीताः सिताः श्वेताः पतिताः सूर्यरश्मयः || ६-१०६-२६
दृश्यन्ते रावणस्याङ्गे पर्वतस्येव धातवः |
26. patitaaH = fallen; agre = before; raavaNasya = Ravana; suurya rashmayaH = the rays of the sun; dR^ishyante taamraaH = appeared coppery; piitaaH = yellow; sitaashvetaaH = white and dark; dhaatavaH iva = like mineral-ores on a mountain.
Fallen before Ravana, the rays of the sun appeared coppery, yellow, white and dark, like mineral ores on a mountain.
गृध्रैरनुगताश्चास्य वमन्त्यो ज्वलनं मुखैः || ६-१०६-२७
प्रणेदुर्मुखमीक्षन्त्यः सन्रब्धमशिवन् शिवाः |
27. shiraaH = the she-jackals; anugataaH = followed; gR^idhraiH = by vultures; samrabanam = hastily; praNeduH = uttered; ashivam = inauspicious howls; iikShyantaH = on beholding; asya mukham = Ravana's face; vamantyaH = (as also) vomiting; jvalanam = fire; mukhaiH = from their mouths.
The she-jackals followed by vultures hastily uttered inauspicious howls, on beholding Ravana's face as also vomiting fire from their mouths.
प्रतिकूलन् ववौ वायू रणे पान्सून् समुत्किरन् || ६-१०६-२८
तस्य राक्षसराजस्य कुर्वन्दृष्टिविलोपनम् |
28. kurvan dR^iShTivilopanam = clouding the vision; tasya raavaNasya = fo that Ravana; vaayuH = the wind; samutkiran paamsuun = scattering dust upwards; vavau = blew; pratikuulam = in an inverted order.
Scattering the dust upwards over the battle-field and clouding the vision of that Ravana, the wind blew in a direction inimicable to him.
निपेतुरिन्द्राशनयः सैन्ये चास्य समन्ततः || ६-१०६-२९
दुर्विषह्य स्वना घोरा विना जलधरस्वनम् |
29. jala dharodayam vinaa = even without the appearance of clouds; ghoram = terrific; indraashanayaH = thunderbolts; nipetuH = fell; asya sainye = on his army; samantataH = on all sides; durviShahya svanaaH = with a noise; which was hard to endure.
Even without the appearance of clouds, thunderbolts fell on his army on all sides, with a noise which was hard to endure.
दिशश्च प्रदिशः सर्वा बभूवुस्तिमिरावृताः || ६-१०६-३०
पान्सुवर्षेण महता दुर्दर्शन् च नभोअभवत् |
30. sarvaah = all; dishaH cha = the quarters; pradishashcha = and intermediate points of the compass; babhuuvaH = became; timiraavR^itaaH = covered with darkness; mahataa paamsu varSheNa = and due to outpourings of dust; nabhaH = the sky; abhavat = became; durdarsham = difficult to be seen.
All the quarters and intermediate points of the compass became covered with darkness and due to outpourings of dust, the sky became difficult to be seen.
कुर्वन्त्यः कलहन् घोरन् सारिकास्तद्रथं प्रति || ६-१०६-३१
निपेतुः शतशस्तत्र दारुणा दारुणस्वनाः |
31. shatashaH = hundreds of; daaruNaah = dreadful; saarikaaH* = Sarika birds; daaruNaarutaaH = with awful howls; kurvantyaH kalaham = fighting; ghoram = terribly; tatra = there; nipetuH = fell; tadratham prati = down upon Ravana's chariot.
Hundreds of dreadful Sarika* birds, with their awful howls, terribly fighting there, fell down upon Ravana's chariot.
*Sarika bird: zoological name: Turdus salica.
जघनेभ्यः स्फुलिङ्गांश्च नेत्रेभ्योअश्रूणि सन्ततम् || ६-१०६-३२
मुमुचुस्तस्य तुरगास्तुल्यमग्निन् च वारि च |
32. tasya = his; turagaaH = horses; mumuchuH = discharged; sphuliN^gaan = sparks of fire; jaghanebhyaH = from their hips and loins; ashruuNicha = tears; netrebhyaH = from their eyes; vaaricha = and water; agnimcha = as also fire; tulyam = equally; samtatam = and continuously.
His horses discharged sparks of fire from their hips and loins as also tears from their eyes, releasing out fire and water at the same time continuously.
एवं प्रकारा बहवः समुत्पाता भयावहाः || ६-१०६-३३
रावणस्य विनाशाय दारुणाः सम्प्रजजिञिरे |
33. daaruNaaH = frightful; samutpaataaH = portents; baharaH = in multitude; samprajaJNire = sprang up; evamprakaaraaH = in the way; bhayaavahaaH = bringing danger; vinaashaaya = and destruction; raavaNasya = of Ravana.
Frightful portents in multitude thus sprang up, bringing danger and destruction to Ravana.
रामस्यापि निमित्तानि सौम्यानि च शिवानि च || ६-१०६-३४
बभूवुर्जयशन्सीनि प्रादुर्भूतानि सर्वशः |
34. saumyaani shivaani cha = pleasant and auspicious; jaya shamsiini = depicting victory; raamasya = of Rama; babhuuvuH = arose; praadurbhuutaani = and appeared; sarvashaH = on all sides.
Pleasant and auspicious omens, depicting victory of Rama appeared on all sides, before Rama.
निमित्तानि च सौम्यानि राघवः स्वजयाय वै || ६-१०६-३५
दृष्ट्वा परमसंहृष्टो हतं मेने च रावणम् |
35. dR^iShTvaa = seeing; saumyaani nimittaani = the pleasant omens; svajayaaya = depicting his victory; raaghavaH = Rama; param asamhR^iShTaH = was very much pleased; mane = and considered; raavaNam = Ravana; hatam = as (already) dead.
Seeing the pleasant omens depicting his victory, Rama was very much pleased and considered Ravana as (already) dead.
ततो निरीक्ष्यात्मगतानि राघवो |
रणे निमित्तानि निमित्तकोविदः |
जगाम हर्षन् च परां च निर्वृतिं |
चकार युद्धेअभ्यधिकन् च विक्रमम् || ६-१०६-३६
36. tataH = then; raaghavaH = Rama; nimitta kovidaH = having a knowledge of the omens; niriikShya = having seen; nimittaani = the portents; aatmagatani = in his own way; raNe = in the battle-field; jagaama = got; harShamcha = rejoice; paraam nirvR^itim = and extreme happiness; chakaara adhikam vikramamcha = as also shown enhanced prowess; yuddhe = in combat.
Then Rama, with the knowledge of all omens, having seen those portents in his own way in the battle-field, obtained rejoice as well as extreme happiness and shown enhanced prowess in combat.
- - - -
इत्यार्षे श्रीमद्रामायणे आदिकाव्ये युद्धकाण्डे षडुत्तरशततमः सर्गः
|Top of Page||1||2||3||4|
© June 2009, K. M. K. Murthy