Sage Agastya advises Rama to recites the 'Aditya Hridaya', a collection of verses in praise of the sun-god, with a view to gaining victory.
ततो युद्धपरिश्रान्तं समरे चिन्तया स्थितम् |
रावणं चाग्रतो दृष्ट्वा युद्धाय समुपस्थितम् || ६-१०५-१
दैवतैश्च समागम्य द्रष्टुमभ्यागतो रणम् |
उपगम्याब्रवीद्राममगस्त्यो भगवान् ऋषिः || ६-१०५-२
1; 2. upagamya = approaching; raamam = Rama; sthitam = standing; chintayaa = absorbed in thought; samare = in the battle-field; yuddha parishraantaam = exhausted as he was by the fight; dR^iShTvaa = and seeing; raavaNam = Ravana; samupasthitam = who came in proximity; agrataH = facing him; yuddhaaya = duly; prepared for a battle; bhagavaan = the glorious; agastya R^iShiH = sage;; Agastya; abhyaagataH = who had come; samaagamya = together; daivataiH = with the gods; draShTum = to perceive; raNam = the battle; tataH = then; abraviit = spoke (as follows).
Approaching Rama standing absorbed in fight in the battle-field, exhausted as he was by the fight, and seeing Ravana who came nearby, facing him duly prepared for the battle, the glorious sage, Agastya, who had come together with the gods, to perceive the battle, then spoke as foolows:
राम राम महाबाहो शृणु गुह्यं सनातनम् |
येन सर्वानरीन्वत्स समरे विजयिष्यसे || ६-१०५-३
3. raama raama = O Rama; mahaabaaho = the mighty armed!; shruNu = hear; sanaatanam guhyam = the follwoing eternal secret; yena by which; vijayiShyase = you can conquer; sarvaan ariin = all the enemies; samare = in battle; vatsa = my child!.
"O Rama, the mighty armed! Hear the following eternal secret, by which you can conquer all the enemies in battle, my child!"
आदित्यहृदयं पुण्यं सर्वशत्रुविनाशनम् |
जयावहं जपेन्नित्यमक्षय्यं परमं शिवम् || ६-१०५-४
सर्वमङ्गलमङ्गल्यं सर्वपापप्रणाशनम् |
चिन्ताशोकप्रशमनमायुर्वर्धनमुत्तमम् || ६-१०५-५
4; 5. aaditya hR^idayam = 'Aditya Hridaya' (which is intended to propitiate Brahma; installed in the heart of the orb of the sun); japet = is to be muttered; nityam = at all times; (This hymn in praise of the sun); puNyam = is holy; sarva shatruvinaashanam = which can destroy all the adversaries; jayaavaham = which can bestow victory; akShyayyam = giving undecaying prosperity; paramam shivam = supremely auspicious; sarva maN^gala maN^galayam = the blessing of all blessings; sarva paapa praNaashanam = root out all sins; chintaa shoka prashamanam = allay all anxiety and grief; uttamam = excellent; aayurvardhanam = and prolong life.
रश्मिमन्तं समुद्यन्तं देवासुरनमस्कृतम् |
पूजयस्व विवस्वन्तं भास्करं भुवनेश्वरम् || ६-१०५-६
6. punjayasva = you worship (the sun-god); bhuvaneshvaram = the ruler of the worlds; rashmimantam = who is crowned with the rays; samudyantam = who appears at the horizon; devaasmanamaskR^itam = who is greeted by the gods and the demons alike; vivasvantam = shining forth covering all other lights; bhaaskaram = and brings light to the world.
"Worship the sun-god, the ruler of the worlds, who is crowned with the rays, who appears at the horizon, who is greeted by the gods and the demons alike, shines forth; covering up all other lights and brings light to the world."
सर्वदेवात्मको ह्येष तेजस्वी रश्मिभावनः |
एष देवासुरगणान् लोकान् पाति गभस्तिभिः || ६-१०५-७
7. eShaH = he is; sarva devaatmakaH = the embodiment of all gods; tejasvii = full of glory; rashmibhaavanaH = and the reflector of rays; eShaH = He; paati = protects; devaasura gaNaan = the multitude of gods and demons; lokaan = as well as their worlds; (by his rays).
"He is the embodiment of all gods, full of glory and the reflector of rays. He protects the multitude of gods and demons as well as their worlds by his rays."
एष ब्रह्मा च विष्णुश्च शिवः स्कन्दः प्रजापतिः |
महेन्द्रो धनदः कालो यमः सोमो ह्यपांपतिः || ६-१०५-८
8. eShaH = He; brahmaacha = is Brahma the creator; viShNushcha = Vishnu; the protector of the universe; shivaH = Lord Shiva the god of destruction; skandaH = Skanda (son of Lord Shiva); prajapatiH = Prajapati (the ten lords of created beings viz. Marichi; Atri; Angirasa; Paulastya; Pulaka; Kratu; Vasishta; Daksha; Bhrigu; Narada); mahendraH = Indra the ruler of gods; dhanadaH = Kubera; teh bestower of riches; kaalaH = Kala; the Time-spirit; yamaH = Yama; the god of retribution; somaH = Soma the moon-god; apaampatiH = Varuna; the ruler of the waters.
"He is Brahma the creator, Vishnu the protector of the Universe, Lord Shiva the god of destruction, Skanda (son of Lord Shiva), Prajapati (the ten lords of creted beings), Indra the ruler of gods, Kubera the bestower of riches, Kala the Time-spirit, Yama the god of retribution, Soma the moon-god and Varuna the ruler of the waters."
पितरो वसवः साध्या अश्विनौ मरुतो मनुः |
वायुर्वह्निः प्रजाः प्राण ऋतुकर्ता प्रभाकरः || ६-१०५-९
9. pitarah = the Pitrus (Manes); vasavaH = the eight Vasns; saadhyaaH = the twelve Sadhyas; ashvinau = the two Ashvins = the physicians of gods; marutaH = the fortynine Maruts (wind-gods); manuH = Manu ( a progenitor of the human race); vaayuH = Vayu; the wind-god; vahniH = the fire-god; prajaaH = the created beings; praaNaH = the life-breath of the universe; R^itikartaa = the source of the seasons; prabhaakaraH = and store-house of light.
"The Pitrus (manes), the eight Vasus, the twelve Sadhyas, the two Ashvins the physicians of gods, the fortymine Maruts (wind-gods), Manu (a progenitor of the human race), Vayu the wind-god, the fire-god, the created beings, the life-breath of the universe, the source of teh seasons and the store-house of light."
आदित्यः सविता सूर्यः खगः पूषा गभस्तिमान् |
सुवर्णसदृशो भानुर्हिरण्यरेता दिवाकरः || ६-१०५-१०
10. aadityaH = an off-spring of Aditi; savitaa = the progenitor of all; suuryaH = Surya; the sun-god and the provocator of acts in people; khagaH = the courser in the sky; puuShaa = the nourisher of all with rain; gabhastimaan = the possessor of rays; suvarNa sadR^ishaH = the golden; bhaanuH = the brilliant; hiraNya retaaH = having golden seed; divaakraH = and the maker of the day.
"An off-spring of Aditi, the progenitor of all, Surya the sun-god and the provocator of acts in people, the courser in the sky, the nourisher of all iwth rain, the possessor of rays the golden, the brilliant, having golden seed whose energy constitutes the seed of the universe and the maker of the day."
हरिदश्वः सहस्रार्चिः सप्तसप्तिर्मरीचिमान् |
तिमिरोन्मधनः शम्भुस्त्वष्टा मार्तण्डकोऽंशुमान् || ६-१०५-११
11. haridashvaH sapta saptiH = he has seven green horses; mariichimaan = full of rays; timironmathanaH = the destroyer of darkness; shambhuH = the source of happiness; tvaShTaa = maker of thinness; maartaN^DakaH = the infuser of life in the lifeless cosmic egg; amshumaan = and radiant.
"He has seven green horses, is thousand-rayed, full of rays, the destroyer of darkness, the source of happiness, maker of thinness, the infuser of life in the lifeless cosmic egg and radiant."
हिरण्यगर्भः शिशिरस्तपनोऽहस्करो रविः |
अग्निगर्भोऽदितेः पुत्रः शङ्खः शिशिरनाशनः || ६-१०५-१२
12. hiraNyagarbhaH = (He is) a golden foetus; shishiraH = maker of coolness; tapanaH = creator of heat; ahaskaaH = the bringer of a day; raviH = the one who is eulogized by all; agnigarbhaH = pregnant with fire; aditoH putraH = the son of Aditi; shaN^khaH = the one who pacifies himself in the evening; shishiranaashanaH = and the destroyer of frost.
"He is a golden foetus, maker of coolness, creator of heat, the bringer of a day, the one who is eulogized by all, pregnant with fire, the son of Aditi, the one who pacifies himself in the evening and the destroyer of frost."
व्योमनाथस्तमोभेदी बुग्यजुः सामपारगः |
घनवृष्टिरपां मित्रो विन्ध्यवीथीप्लवंगमः || ६-१०५-१३
13. vyomanaathaHi = (He is) the lord of the sky; tamobhedii = disperser of darkness; R^igyajuH saamapaaragaH = the master of the three Vedas (Rik; Sama and Yajur); ghana vR^iShTiH = the sender of thick rain; mitraH = the friend; apaam = of water; vindhyaviithiiplavangamaH = and the one who courses swiftly in the path of the sky.
"He is the lord of the sky, the disperser of darkness, the master of the three Vedas (Viz. Rik, Sama and Yajur), the sender of thick rain, the friend of water and the on who courses swiftly in the path of the sky."
आतपी मण्डली मृत्युः पिङ्गलः सर्वतापनः |
कविर्विश्वो महातेजा रक्तः सर्वभवोद्भवः || ६-१०५-१४
14. aatapii = (He is) the radiator of heat; maN^Dalii = and adorned with a circle of rays; mR^ityuH = He is death (himself); piN^galaH = tawny of hue; sarva taapanaH = giver of warmth to all; kaviH = (He is) omniscent; vishvaH = all-formed; mahaatejaaH = endowed with extra-ordinary splendour; raktaH = the one who has an affection in all; sarvabhavodbhavaH = and the source of all evolutes.
"He is the radiator of heat and adrned with a circle of rays. He is death himself, tawny of hue, a giver of warmth to all, omniscent, all-formed, endowed with extra-ordinary splendour, the one who has an affection in all and the source of all evolutes."
नक्षत्रग्रहताराणामधिपो विश्वभावनः |
तेजसामपि तेजस्वी द्वादशात्मन्नमो.स्तु ते || ६-१०५-१५
15. nakShatra grahataaraaNaam adhipaH = the controller of all lunar mansions; planets and stars; vishvabhaavanaH = the creator of all; tejasaamapi tejasvii = the resplendent among the splendid; dvaadashaatman = O god; appearing in twelve forms (in the shape of twelve months in a year); te namaH astu = hail to you!.
"He is the controller of all lunar mansions, planets and stars, the creator of all and the resplendent among the splendid. O god, appearing in twelve forms (in the shape of twelve months in a year), hail to you."
नमः पूर्वाय गिरये पश्चिमायाद्रये नमः |
ज्योतिर्गणानां पतये दिनाधिपतये नमः || ६-१०५-१६
16. namaH = Hail to you; puurvaaya giraye = in the form of eastern mountain namaH = and hail; pashchimaaya adraye = to the western mountain; namaH = Hail; yotirgaNaanaam pataye = to the lord of hosts of luminaries; namaH = hail; dinaadhipataye = to the lord of the day.
"Hail to you in the form of eastern mountain and hail to the western mountain. Hail to the lord of host of luminaries and hail to the lord of the day."
जयाय जयभद्राय हर्याश्वाय नमो नमः |
नमो नमः सहस्रांशो आदित्याय नमो नमः || ६-१०५-१७
17. namaH jayaaya = hail to you; the giver of victory; namaH jayabhadraaya = hail to you; the joy born of victory!; namaH harvashvaaya = hail to you; the god having green horses; namaH sahasraamshaH = hail to you; having thousands of rays!; namaH namaH aadityaaya = hail; hail to you the son of Aditi!
"Hail to you, the giver of victory, hail to you, the joy born of victory! Hail to you, the god with green horses, hail to you, having thousands of rays! Hail, hail to you the son of Aditi!
नम उग्राय वीराय सारङ्गाय नमो नमः |
नमः पद्मप्रबोधाय प्रचण्डाय नमोऽस्तु ते || ६-१०५-१८
18. namaH ugraaya = hail to you; the fierce one! namaH viiraaya = hail to you; the valiant one!; namaH saaraN^gaaya = hail to you; the one with variegated colours!; namaH padma prabodhaaya = hail to you; the awakener of the lotus!; te namaH tu prachaN^Daaya = hail to you the furious one!
"Hail to you, the fierce one, hail to you the valiant one! Hail to you, the one with variegated colours! Hail to you, the awakener of the louts, hail to you, the furious one!"
ब्रह्मेशानाच्युतेशाय सूर्यायादित्यवर्चसे |
भास्वते सर्वभक्षाय रौद्राय वपुषे नमः || ६-१०५-१९
19. namaH = hail to you; brahmeshaanaachyuteshaaya = the ruler of Brahma; Lord Shiva and Lord Vishnu; the infallible; suuryaaya = the sun-god; aaditya varchase = the light indwelling the solar orb; bhaasvate = the resplendent one; sarva bhakShaaya = the devourer of all; raudraaya vapuShe = appearing in teh form of Rudra.
"Hail to you, the ruler of Brahma, Lord Shiva and Lord Vishnu the infallible, the sun-god, the light indwelling the solar orb, the resplendent one, the devourer of all, appearing in form of Rudra."
तमोघ्नाय हिमग्नाय शत्रुघ्नायामितात्मने |
कृतघ्नघ्नाय देवाय ज्योतिषां पतये नमः || ६-१०५-२०
20. namaH = Hail to you; tamoghnaaya = the dispeller of darkness; himaghnaaya = the destroyer of cold; shatrughnaaya = teh exterminator of foes; amitaatmane = the one whose extent is immeasurable; kR^itaghnaghnaaya = the destroyer of the ungreateful; devaaya = the god; jyotiShaam pataye = who is the ruler of all lights.
"Hail to you, the dispeller of darkness, the destroyer of cold, the exterminator of foes, the one whose extent in immeasurable, the destroyer of the ungrateful, the god, who is the ruler of all lights."
तप्तचामीकराभाय हरये विश्वकर्मणे |
नमस्तमोभिनिघ्नाय रुचये लोकसाक्षिणे || ६-१०५-२१
21. namaH = Hail to you; tapta chaamiikaraabhaaya = possessing the lustre of refined gold; haraye = the dispeller of ignorance; vishvakarmaya = the architect of the universe; tamobhinighnaaya = the uprooter of darkness; ruchaye = the splendour incarnate; lokasaakShiNe = the onlooker of the world!
"Hail to you, possessing the lustre of refined gold, the dispeller of ignorance, the architect of the universe, the uprooter of darkness, the splendour incarnate, the onlooker of the world!'"
नाशयत्येष वै भूतं तदेव सृजति प्रभुः |
पायत्येष तपत्येष वर्षत्येष गभस्तिभिः || ६-१०५-२२
22. eShaH vai prabhuH = this sun; the lord alone; naashayati = destroys; tadeva sR^ijati = and brings into existence; bhuutam = all the beings; eShaH = he; tapati paayati = radiates heat; gabhastiH = by his rays; eShaH = He; varShati = sends the rain.
"This sun, the lord alone destroys and brings into existence all the brings. He radiates heat by his rays. He sends the rain."
एष सुप्तेषु जागर्ति भूतेषु परिनिष्ठितः |
एष चैवाग्निहोत्रं च फलं चैवाग्निहोत्रिणाम् || ६-१०५-२३
23. pariniShThitaH = planted in all created beings; eShaH = he; jaagarti = remains awake; supteShu = when they have fallen asleep; eShaH chaiva = he alone; agnihotram cha = is the oblation to the fire-god; phalam cha = and the fruit; agnihotriNaam = attained by those who pour such oblations.
"Planted in all created beings, he remains awake, when they have fallen asleep. He alone is the oblation to the fire-god and the fruit attained by those who pour such oblations."
देवाश्च क्रतवश्चैव क्रतूनां फलमेव च |
यानि कृत्यानि लोकेषु सर्वेषु परमप्रभुः || ६-१०५-२४
24. devaaH = (He comprises) all the gods; kratavashchaiva = as well as the sacrifices; kratavashchaiva = as well as the sacrifices; kratuunaam phalamevacha = as also the fruit of sacrifices; parama prabhuH = he is the supremely competent one; kR^ityaami = of all activities; yaani = which are found; sarveShu lokeShu = in all the worlds.
"He comprises all the gods, as well as the sacrifies as also the fruit of all sacrifices. He is a supremely competent one of all activities, which are found in all the worlds."
एनमापत्सु कृच्छ्रेषु कान्तारेषु भयेषु च |
कीर्तयन् पुरुषः कश्चिन्नावसीदति राघव || ६-१०५-२५
25. raaghava = O Rama!; na kashchit puruShaH = no individual; kiirtayan = glorifying; enam = this sun-god; aapatsu = in distresses; kR^ichchheShu = in difficulties; kaantaareShu = in the wood; bhayeShu = in times of peril; avasiidati = comes to grief.
"O Rama! No individual glorifying this sun-god, in distresses in difficulties; in the woods or in times of peril, comes to grief."
पूजयस्वैनमेकाग्रो देवदेवं जगत्पतिम् |
एतत्त्रिगुणितं जप्त्वा युद्धेषु विजयिष्यसि || ६-१०५-२६
26. puujayasva = worship; enam = this sun-god; jagatpatim = the lord of the universe; devadevam = and the god of all gods; ekaagraH = with undivided attention; japtyaa = muttering; etat = this praise; triguNetam = three times; vijayiShyasi = you will come out victorious; yuddheShu = in battles.
"Worship this sun-god, the lord of the universe and the god of all gods with undivided attention. Muttering this praise three times, you will come out victorious in battles."
अस्मिन् क्षणे महाबाहो रावणं त्वं वधिष्यसि |
एवमुक्त्वा ततोऽगस्त्यो जगाम स यथागतम् || ६-१०५-२७
27. tvam = you; vadhiShyasi = will be able to kill; raavaNam = Ravana; asmin kShaNe = at this very moment; mahaabaaho = O the mighty armed!; evam uktvaa = saying so; agastya = the sage; Agastya; tataH = thereupon; jagaama = left; yathaagatam = as in the same way as he had come.
"You will be able to kill Ravana at this very moment, O mighty armed one!" Saying so, the sage, Agastya, thereupon, left as in the same way as he had come.
एतच्छ्रुत्वा महातेजा नष्टशोकोऽभवत्तदा |
धारयामास सुप्रीतो राघवः प्रयतात्मवान् || ६-१०५-२८
28. shrutvaa = hearing; etat = this; mahaatejaaH = Rama; of extraordinary energy; tadaa = then; abhavat = became; naShTa shokaH = bereft of anguish; supriitaH = feeling greatly delighted; raaghavaH = Rama; dhaarayaamaasa = retained in memory; (that hymn of praise of the sun-god); prayataatmavaan = with a devoted mind.
Hearing this, Rama of extra ordinary energy, then became bereft of anguish. Feeling greatly delighted, Rama retained that hymn in his memory with a devoted mind.
आदित्यं प्रेक्ष्य जप्त्वा तु परं हर्षमवाप्तवान् |
त्रिराचम्य शुचिर्भूत्वा धनुरादाय वीर्यवान् || ६-१०५-२९
रावणं प्रेक्ष्य हृष्टात्मा युद्धार्थं समुपागमत् |
सर्वयत्नेन महता वधे तस्य धृतोऽभवत् || ६-१०५-३०
29; 30. aachamya = sipping the water; triH = thrice; shuchiH bhuutvaa = and getting purified; prekShya = looking intently; aadityam = on the orb of the sun; japtvaa = and repeating this prayer; viiryavaan = the valiant Rama; avaaptavaan = obtained; param = a great; harSham = rejoice; aadaaya = seizing hold; dhanuH = of his bow; prekShya = and seeing; raavanam = Ravana; (Rama); hR^iShTaatmaa = felt delighted in mind; samupaagamat = and advanced; yuddhaartham = for the fight; abhavat dhR^itaH = he stood voed; tasya vadhe = to kill Ravana; mahataa sarva yatnena = with an intense and all-sided effort.
Sipping the water thrice and getting purified looking intently on the orb of the sun and repeating this prayer, the valiant Rama obtained a great rejoice. Seizing hold of his bow and seeing Ravana, Rama felt delighted in mind and marched forward for the fight. He stood voed to kill Ravana, with an intense and all-sided effort.
अथ रविरवदन्निरीक्ष्य रामं |
मुदितमनाः परमं प्रहृष्यमाणः |
निशिचरपतिसंक्षयं विदित्वा |
सुरगणमध्यगतो वचस्त्वरेति || ६-१०५-३१
31. niriikShya = seeing; raamam = Rama; raviH = the sun-god; atha = thereupon; muditamanaaH = with a delighted mind; param prahR^iShyamaaNaH = and becoming most rejoiced; viditvaa = on foreseeing; nishicharapatisamkShayam = Ravana's death; avadat = spoke; vachaH = the words; iti = saying; tvara = "Hsten up"; suragaNamadhyagataH = standing as he was in teh middle of a troop of celestials.
Seeing Rama with a delighted mind, and becoming most exhildrated on foreseeing the death of Ravana, the sun-god, standing in the middle of a troop of celestials, exclaimed, "Hasten up."
- - - -
इत्यार्षे श्रीमद्रामायणे आदिकाव्ये युद्धकाण्डे पञ्चोत्तरशततमः सर्गः
|Top of Page||1||2||3||4|
© June 2009, K. M. K. Murthy
Read more about:
hail and verse
Fastest FTPS (SSL) anywhere, FREE Go FTP Software