Ravana reproached the charioteer for having turned back his chariot away from the battle-field. The charioteer explains to Ravana, the various reasons as to why he has taken back the chariot. Satisfied with the explanation given by his charioteer, Ravana instructs him to take the chariot back to the battle-field. Thereupon, the charioteer brings the chariot in an instant before Rama on the battle-field.
स तु मोहात्सुसङ्क्रुद्धः कृतान्तबलचोदितः |
क्रोधसन्रक्तनयनो रावणो सूतमब्रवीत् ||६-१०४-१
1. saH raavaNaH = that Ravana; kR^itaanta bala choditaH = impelled by strength of Destiny; krodha samraktanayanaH = with his red-blood eyes through anger; mohaat = due to infatnation; abraviit = spoke; suutam = to his charioteer (as follows):
Impelled by force of Destiny and with his red-blood eyes through anger due to infatuation, that Ravana spoke to his charioteer as follows:
हीनवीर्यमिवाशक्तं पौरुषेण विवर्जितम् |
भीरुन् लघुमिवासत्त्वं विहीनमिव तेजसा ||६-१०४-२
विमुक्तमिव मायाभिरस्त्रैरिव बहिष्कृतम् |
मामवज्ञाय दुर्बुद्धे स्वया बुद्ध्या विचेष्टसे ||६-१०४-३
2; 3. durbuddhe = O evil-minded fellow!; avaGYaa = despising; maam = me; vivarjitam = as though I were bereft; pauruSheNa = of manliness; ashaktam = incapable; hiina viiryamiva = deficient in prowess; bhiirum = cowardly; laghumiva = petty-minded; asattvam = devoid of energy; vihiinamiva tejasaa = deserted of conjuring tricks; bahiShkR^itam iva astraiH = and abandoned by mystic missiles; vicheShTase = you are acting; svayaa buddhyaa = as per your discretion!
"O evil-minded fellow! Despising me as though I were bereft of manliness, incapable, deficient in prowess, cowardly, petty-minded, devoid of energy, bereft of brilliance, deserted of conjuring tricks and abandoned by mystic missiles, you are acting as per your discretion!"
किमर्थं मामवज्ञाय मच्छन्दमनवेक्ष्य च |
त्वया शत्रुसमक्षं मे रथोअयमपवाहितः ||६-१०४-४
4. kimartham = why have you; apavaahitaH = carried away; me ayam rathaH = this chariot of mine; avajNaaya = humiliating; maam = me; shatrusamakSham = before my enemies; anavekShya cha = and overlooking; machchhandam = my will?
"Why have you carried away this chariot of mine, thus humiliating me in the presence of my enemies and overlooking my will?"
त्वयाद्य हि ममानार्य चिरकालसमार्जितम् |
यशो वीर्यन् च तेजश्च प्रत्ययश्च विनाशिथ ||६-१०४-५
5. anaarya = O vulgar fellow!; mama = my; yashaH = fame; chirakaala samaarjitam = which was earned through a long period; tejashcha = vital power; pratyayashcha = and trust; vinaashitaH = have been destroyed; tvayaa = by you; adya = today.
"O vulgar fellow! You have destroyed my fame which was earned through a long period, prowess, vital power and the trust of people today."
शत्रोः प्रख्यातवीर्यस्य रञ्जनीयस्य विक्रमैः |
पश्यतो युद्धलुब्धोअहन् कृतः कापुरुषस्त्वया ||६-१०४-६
6. aham = I; yuddha lubdhaH = having an ardent desire for battle; kR^itaH = was made; kaapuruShaH = a contemptible person; tvayaa = by you; shatroH = while my enemy; prakhyaata viirasya = having an illustrious prowess; raN^janiiyasya = making others delightful; vikramaiH = through feats of his; pashyataH = stood looking on.
"While my adversary, having an illustrious prowess and making others delightful through feats of his valour, stood looking on, myself, who has an ardent desire for fighting and who was made contemptible by you!"
यस्त्वन् रथमिमं मोहान्न चोद्वहसि दुर्मते |
सत्योअयं प्रतितर्को मे परेण त्वमुपस्कृतः ||६-१०४-७
7. durmate = O evil-minded fellow!; yaH tvam = in case you; na = do not; mohaat = by perversity; vahasi = carry away; idam chariot = this chariot; chet = at any event; ayam pratitarkaH = this expectation of mine; tvam = that you; upaskR^itaH = stand corrupted; pareNa = by the enemy; satyaH = will be a fact.
"O evil-minded fellow! In case you do not, by perversity, carry away this chariot at any event, this expectation of mine that you stand corrupted by the enemy, will be a fact."
न हीदन् विद्यते कर्म सुहृदो हितकाङ्क्षिणः |
रिपूणान् सदृशन् चैतन्न त्वयैतत्स्वनुष्ठितम् ||६-१०४-८
8. etat = this act; yat = which; anuShThitam = has been done; tvayaa = by you; etat = this; sadR^isham = is befitting; ripuuNaam = of enemies; tat = that; na vidyate hi = is indeed not; karma = the work; suhR^idaH = of a friend; hitakaaN^kShiNaH = who wishes me well.
"This act, which has been done by you, is only befitting of enemies. This is indeed not the work of a friend, who wishes me well."
निवर्तय रथन् शीघ्रं यावन्नापैति मे रिपुः |
यदि वाप्युषितोअसि त्वन् स्मर्यन्ते यदि वा गुणाः ||६-१०४-९
9. asi yadi tvam = If you; adhyuShitaH = inhabited with me for a long time; yadismaryate = and if you remember; me = my; guNah = merit; nivartaya = drive back; ratham = the chariot; shiighram = swiftly; yaavat = till; me ripuH = my enemy; naapaiti = does not withdraw.
"If you inhabited with me in Lanka for a long time and if you remember my merit, drive back the chariot swiftly till my enemy does not withdraw."
एवं परुषमुक्तस्तु हितबुद्धिरबुद्धिना |
अब्रवीद्रावणन् सूतो हितं सानुनयं वचः ||६-१०४-१०
10. evam uktaH = thus spoken; paruSham = harshly; abuddhinaa = by the foolish Ravana; hita buddhiH = the friendly-minded; suutaH = charioteer; abraviit = spoke; saannyam vachaH = conciliatory words; raavaNam = to Ravana (as follows):
Hearing those harsh words of the foolish Ravana, the friendly-minded charioteer spoke the following conciliatory words of Ravana:
न भीतोअस्मि न मूढोअस्मि नोपजप्तोअस्मि शत्रुभिः |
न प्रमत्तो न निःस्नेहो विस्मृता न च सत्क्रिया ||६-१०४-११
11. naasmi = I was not; bhiitaH = frightened; na asmi = I was not; muuDhaH = stupid; na asmi = I was not; upajaptaH = bribed; shatrubhiH = by the enemies; na asmi = I was not; pramattaH = a blunderer; na niH snehaH = I was not disloyal; satkriyaacha = your good; na vismR^itaa = was not forgotten.
"I was neither frightened nor I was stupid. I was not bribed by the enemies, nor was I a blunderer. I was not disloyal to you. I have not forgotten the benefits conferred by you."
मया तु हितकामेन यशश्च परिरक्षता |
स्नेहप्रस्कन्नमनसा प्रियमित्यप्रियन् कृतम् ||६-१०४-१२
12. mayaa = by me; hita kaamena = who wish well to you; parikShataa = who protect; yashashcha = your honour; sneha prasanna manasaa = with a mind affectionately disposed towards you through attachment; apriyam = an act which was not to your liking; kR^itam = was done; hitam iti = as something conducive to your interest.
"An act which was not to your taste was done by me as something conducive to your interest, by wishing well of you, for protecting your honour and with mind affectionately disposed towards you through attachment."
नास्मिन्नर्थे महाराज त्वं मां प्रियहिते रतम् |
कश्चिल्लघुरिवानार्यो दोषतो गन्तुमर्हसि ||६-१०४-१३
13. mahaaraaja = O monarch!; kashchit laghuH anaaryaH iva = like somebody who is petty-minded and unworthy; tvam na arhasi = you ought not; maam gantum = to hold me; priyahite ratam = devoted as I am to your pleasure and good; doShataH = guilty; asmin arthe = in this matter.
"O monarch! Like somebody who is petty-minded and unworthy, you ought not to hold me, devoted as I am to your pleasure and good, quilty in this matter."
श्रूयतामभिधास्यामि यन्निमित्तं मया रथः |
नदीवेग इवाम्भोभिः सन्युगे विनिवर्तितः ||६-१०४-१४
14. mahaaraaja = O monarch!; kashchit laghuH anaaryaH iva = like somebody who is petty-minded and unworthy; tvam na arhasi = you ought not; maam gantum = to hold me; priyahite ratam = devoted as I am to your pleasure and good; doShataH = guilty; asmin arthe = in this matter.
"O monarch! Like somebody who is petty-minded and unworthy, you ought not to hold me, devoted as I am to your pleasure and good, guilty in this matter."
श्रमन् तवावगच्छामि महता रणकर्मणा |
न हि ते वीर सौमुख्यं प्रहर्षन् वोपधारये ||६-१०४-१५
15. pratidaasyaami = I am giving a reply; shruuyataam = let it be listened (by you); yannimittam = why; rathaH = the chariot; vinivartitam = was carried away; samyuge = in the battle-field; nadiivegaH iva = as the onrush of a stream; aabhoge = (is pushed back) by a tide.
"I understand your exhaustion, due to your strenuous fighting in the great battle. I am not reflecting on the inclination of your valour or on your superiority over your enemy."
रथोद्वहनखिन्नाश्च त इमे रथवाजिनः |
दीना घर्मपरिश्रान्ता गावो वर्षहता इव ||६-१०४-१६
16. me rathavaajinaH = the horses of my chariot; bhagnaaH = were broken down; rathodvahanakhinnaaH = and were exhausted by drawing the chariot; diinaaH = they became miserable; gharmaparishraantaaH = and thoroughly fatigued; gaavaH iva = like the cows; varSha hataaH = lashed by rain.
"The horses of my chariot were broken down and were exhausted by drawing the chariot. They became miserable and thoroughly fatigued, like the cows lashed by heavy rain."
निमित्तानि च भूयिष्ठन् यानि प्रादुर्भवन्ति नः |
तेषु तेष्वभिपन्नेषु लक्षयाम्यप्रदक्षिणम् ||६-१०४-१७
17. lakShayaami = I am seeing; apradakShiNam = inauspiciousness; yaani nimittaani = in those portents; praadurbhavanti = which appear; naH = to us; bhuuyiShTham = in large numbers; abhipanneShu = and examined; teShu teShu = in all of them.
"I am seeing inauspiciousness in all the portents, which appear to us in large numbers and duly examined by me."
देशकालौ च विज्ञेयौ लक्ष्मणानीङ्गितानि च |
दैन्यन् हर्षश्च खेदश्च रथिनश्च बलाबलम् ||६-१०४-१८
18. desha kaalaucha = (propitious and unpropitious) time and place; lakShaNaani = (good and bad) omens; inN^gitaani = facial expressions; dainyam harShashcha = depression and liveliness; khedashcha = the measure of fatigue; balaabalam = as also the strength andweakness; rathinaH = of the warrior occupying the chariot; viJNeyau = must be ascertained (by a charioteer).
"(Propitious and unpropitious) time and place, (good and bad) omens, facial as also the strength and weakness of the warrior occupying the chariot must be ascertained (by a charioteer)."
स्थलनिम्नानि भूमेश्च समानि विषमाणि च |
युद्धकालश्च विज्ञेयः परस्यान्तरदर्शनम् ||६-१०४-१९
19. sthala nimnaani = the eminences and depressions; bhuumeH = of the ground; samaani viShamaanicha = as well as the parts which are level and rugged; yuddhakaalaashcha = the time appropriate for the combat; antaradarshanam = and the visible weak points; parasya = of the enemy; viJNeya = must be known (by a charioteer).
"The eminences and depressions of the ground as well as the parts which are level and rugged, the time appropriate for the combat and the visible weak points of the enemy must be known (by a charioteer)."
उपयानापयाने च स्थानं प्रत्यपसर्पणम् |
सर्वमेतद्रथस्थेन ज्ञेयन् रथकुटुम्बिना ||६-१०४-२०
20. upayaanaapayaane = arrival and retreat; sthaanam pratyapasarpaNam = how to hold one's position and how to recede; etat sarvam = all this; JNeyam = must be known; rathakuTumbinaa = by charioteer; rathasthena = seated in the chariot.
"How to arrive and retreat, how to hold one's position and to recede all this must be known by a charioteer, seated in the chariot."
तव विश्रामहेतोस्तु तथैषान् रथवाजिनाम् |
रौद्रन् वर्जयता खेदन् क्षमं कृतमिदं मया ||६-१०४-२१
21. idam = this; kShamam = appropriate action; kR^itam = was taken; mayaa = by me; tava vishraanta hetoH = in order to give rest to you; tathaa = and; eShaam rathavaajinaam = to these horses of the chariot; varjayataa = and to relieve; raudram khedam = your terrible fatigue.
"This action appropriate was taken by me in order to give rest to you and to these horses of the chariot as also to relieve your terrible fatigue."
न मया स्वेच्छया वीर रथोअयमपवाहितः |
भर्तृस्नेहपरीतेन मयेदन् यत्कृतं विभो ||६-१०४-२२
22. viira prabho = O the valiant lord!; ayam = this; rathaH = chariot; na apavaahitaH = was not removed; mayaa = by me; svechchhayaa = arbitrarily; idam yat kR^itam = that which was done; mayaa = by me; (was) bhartR^isneha paritena = because I was overwhelmed with affection for my master.
"O the valiant lord! This chariot was not removed by me arbitrarily. That which was done by me was because I was overwhelmed with affection for my master."
आज्ञापय यथातत्त्वन् वक्ष्यस्यरिनिषूदन |
तत्करिष्याम्यहन् वीरन् गतानृण्येन चेतसा ||६-१०४-२३
23. ariShudana = O annihilator of enemies!; viira = O hero!; aajJNaapaya = give a command!; yathaa = how; tvam = you; vakShyasi = tell me; tat = that act; tat = that; aham = I; kariShyaami = will do; chetasaa = with attention; gataanR^iNyena = with a mind which feels relieved of all that is due.
"O annihilator of enemies! O hero! Give me a command! I will do that which you will enjoin me to do, with due attention and with a mind which feels relieved of all that is due."
सन्तुष्टस्तेन वाक्येन रावणस्तस्य सारथेः |
प्रशस्यैनं बहुविधन् युद्धलुब्धोअब्रवीदिदम् ||६-१०४-२४
24. samtushTaH = satisfied; tena vaakyena = with the explanation; tasya saaratheH = of that charioteer; prashasya = applauding; enam = him; bahuvidham = in many ways; raavaNaH = Ravana; yuddha labdthaH = who was avaricious of fighting; abraviit = spoke; idam = the following words:
Satisfied with the explanation given by his charioteer and applauding him in many ways, Ravana who was avaricious of fighting, spoke the following words:
रथन् शीघ्रमिमं सूत राघवाभिमुखन् कुरु |
नाहत्वा समरे शत्रून्निवर्तिष्यति रावणः ||६-१०४-२५
25. suuta = O charioteer!; maya = take; imam = this; ratham = chariot; shiighram = quickly; raaghavaabhimukham = towards Rama; raavaNaH = Ravana; na nivartiShyati = does not turn back; samare = in battle; ahatvaa = without killing; shatruun = his enemies.
"O charioteer! Take this chariot quickly towards Rama. Ravana does not turn back in battle, without killing his enemies."
एवमुक्त्वा ततस्तुष्टो रावणो राक्षसेश्वरः |
ददौ तस्य शुभन् ह्येकं हस्ताभरणमुत्तमम् ||६-१०४-२६
26. evam uktvaa = thus speaking; raavaNaH = Ravana; raakShaseshvaraH = the lord of demons; tuShTaH = was pleased; tataH = and then; dadau = presented; ekam = one; shubham = beautiful; uttamam = and excellent; hastaabharaNam = ornament for the land; tasyam = to him; saH saarathiH = that charioteer; shrutvaa = after hearing; raavaNavaakyaami = the instructions of Ravana; nyavartata = drove the chariot back to the battle-field.
Thus speaking Ravna the lord of demons was pleased and then presented a beautiful and excellent ornament for the hand to him. That charioteer, after hearing Ravana's instruction,s drove the chariot back to the battle-field.
ततो द्रुतन् रावणवाक्यचोदितः |
प्रचोदयामास हयान्स सारथिः |
स राक्षसेन्द्रस्य ततो महारथः |
क्षणेन रामस्य रणाग्रतोअभवत् ||६-१०४-२७
27. tataH = thereupon; raavaNavaakya choditaH = impelled by Ravana's command; saH saarathiH = that charioteer; drutam = quickly; prachodayaamaasa = drove forward; hayaan = the horses; tataH = then; raakShasendrasya saH mahaarathaH = that chariot of Ravana; kShaNena = within a moment; abhavat = stood; raamasya rathaagrataH = in front of Rama's chariot.
Impelled by Ravana's command, that charioteer thereupon quickly drove the horses forward. Then, that chariot of Ravana stood within a moment, before Rama's chariot on the battle-field.
- - - -
इत्यर्षे श्रीमद्रामायणे आदिकाव्ये युद्धकाण्डे चतुरधिकशततमः सर्गः
|Top of Page||1||2||3||4|
© June 2009, K. M. K. Murthy
What the world says about
chariot and verse
Fastest FTPS on the planet Go FTP FREE Program