The battle between Rama and Ravana starts. Indra sends a chariot, an armour, some arrows and a powerful spear. A tumultuous and thrilling battle ensues between Rama and Ravana. A spear hurled by Ravana is thwarted by a powerful spear (sent by Indra) of Rama. Then, Rama strikes Ravana's horses with arrows. He also pierces the chest region and the forehead of Ravana with his fierce arrows. Ravana gets severely hurt.
लक्ष्मणेन तु तद्वाक्यमुक्तन् श्रुत्वा स राघवः |
संदधे परवीरघ्नो धनुरादाय वीर्यवान् || ६-१०२-१
1. shrutvaa = hearing; tat vaakyam = those words; uktam = spoken; lakShmaNena = by Lakshmana; raaghavaH = Rama; para viiraghnaH = the annihilator of his enemies; aadaaya = taking hold; dhanuH = his bow; samdadhe = fixed the arrow on the bow-string.
Hearing those words of Lakshmana, that valiant Rama, the annihilator of his enemies, taking hold of his bow, fixed an arrow on the bow-string.
रावणाय शरान्घोरान्विससर्ज चमूमुखे |
अथान्यं रथमास्थाय रावणो राक्षसाधिपः || ६-१०२-२
अभ्यधावा काकुत्स्थं स्वर्भानुरिव भास्करम् |
2. chamuumukhe = in the forefront of battle; visasarja = (Rama) released; ghoraan = terrific; sharaan = arrows; raavaNaaya = towards Ravana; atha = then; aasthaaya = occupying; anyam = another; ratham = chariot; raavaNaH = Ravana; raakShasaadhipa = the king of demons; abhyyadhaavata = rushed; kaakutthsam = towards Rama; svarbhaanuH iva = as Rahu the seizer-demon(rushes towards); bhaaskaram = the sun.
In the forefront of battle, Rama released terrific arrows towards Ravana. Then, occupying another chariot, Ravana the king of demons rushed towards Rama, even as Rahu the seizer-demon rushes towards the sun.
दशग्रीवो रथस्थस्तु रामन् वज्रोपमैः शरैः || ६-१०२-३
आजघान महाघोरैर्धाराभिरिव तोयदः |
3. dashagriivaH tu = Ravana for his part; rathasthaH = standing in his chariot;aajaghaana = struck; raamam = Rama; vajropamaiH sharaiH = with arrows equal to thunderbolts; toyadaH iva = as a cloud; (strikes); dharaabhiH = gushes of rain; mahashailam = on a huge mountain.
Ravana for his part, standing in his chariot struck Rama with thunderbolt-like arrows, as a cloud strikes gushes of rain on a huge mountain.
दीप्तपावकसङ्काशैः शरैः काञ्चनभूषणैः || ६-१०२-४
निर्बिभेद रणे रामो दशग्रीवन् समाहितः |
4. samaahitaH = with an attentive mind; raamaH = Rama; abhyavarShat = showered; kaaNchana bhuuShaNaiH sharaiH = golden decked arrows; diipta paavaka samkaashaiH = looking like blazing flames of fire; dashagriivam = on Ravana; raNe = in the combat.
With an attentive mind, Rama showered golden decked arrows, looking like blazing flames of fire, on Ravana in the battle-field.
भूमिस्थितस्य रामस्य रथस्थस्य च रक्षसः || ६-१०२-५
न समन् युद्धमित्याहुर्देवगन्धर्वदानवाः |
5. devagandharva kimnaraaH = the gods; celestial musicians and kinnaras the mythical beings; aahuH = uttered; iti = that yuddham = the battle; na samam = was not equal; raamasya = between Rama; sthitasya = standing; bhuumau = on the ground; raakShasaH = and Ravana; rathasthasya = occupying a chariot.
The gods, celestial musicians and kinnaras the mythical beings thought that the battle was not equal between Rama standing on the ground and Ravana fighting from a chariot.
ततो देववरः श्रीमान् श्रुत्वा तेषां वचोऽमृतम् || ६-१०२-६
आहूय मातलिं शक्रो वचनं चेदमब्रवीत् |
6.shrutvaa = hearing; teShaam = their; vachomR^itam = nectar-like words; shriimaan = the illustrius; shakraH = Indra; deva varaH = chief of clestials; tataH = then; aahuuya = calling; maatalim = Matali; braviit = spoke; idam vachanamcha = te following words.
Hearing their nectar-like words, the illustrious Indra, the chief f celestials then called Matali and spoke as follows:
रथेन मम भूमिष्ठं शीघ्रं याहि रघूत्तमम् || ६-१०२-७
आयूय भूतलं यातः कुरु देवहितं महत् |
7. yaahi = go; shiighram = quickly; mama rathena = with my chariot; raghottamam = to Rama; bhuumiShTham = who is standing on the earth; yaataH = after reaching; bhuutalam = the earth; aahuuya = calling (inviting Rama t take his seat in the chariot); kuru = and carry out; mahat = a great; devahitam = service to the gods.
"Go quickly with my chariot to Rama, who is standing on the earth. After reaching the earth, invite him to take his seat in the chariot and carry out a great service to the gods."
इत्युक्तो देवराजेन मातलिर्द्वसारथिः || ६-१०२-८
प्रणम्य शिरसा देवं ततो वचनमब्रवीत् |
8. iti uktaH = thus spoken; devaraajena = by Indra; maataliH = Matali; deva saarathiH = the charioteer of Indra; praNamya = offering salutation; shirasaa = by bowing his head; devam = to his lord; abraviit = spoke; tataH = then; vachanam = the following words:
Hearing the words of Indra, Matali, the charioteer of Indra, offering salutation to him by bowing his head, spoke then the following words:
शीघ्रं यास्यामि देवेन्द्र सारथ्यं च करोम्यहम् || ६-१०२-९
ततो हयैश्च संयोज्य हरितैः स्यन्दनोत्तमम् |
9. devendra = O Indra!; samyojya = providing with; haritaiH hayaiH = green horses; syandanottamam = the excellent chariot; aham = I; yaasyaami = will proceed; tataH = then; shiighram = immediately; karomi = I will perform; saarathyam cha = the duty of a charioteer (to Rama).
"O Indra! Providing with green horses the excellent chariot, I will proceed then immediately and perform the duty of a charioteer to Rama."
ततः काञ्चनचित्राङ्गः किङ्किणीशतभूषितः || ६-१०२-१०
तरुणादित्यसङ्काशो वैदूर्यमयकूबरः |
सदश्वैः काञ्चनापीडैर्युक्तः श्वेतप्रकीर्णकैः || ६-१०२-११
हरिभिः सूर्यसङ्काशैर्हेमजालविभूषितैः |
रुक्मवेणुध्वजः श्रीमान्देवराजरथो वरः || ६-१०२-१२
देवराजेन संदिष्टो रथमारुह्य मातलिः |
अभ्यवर्तत काकुत्स्थमवतीर्य त्रिविष्टपात् || ६-१०२-१३
10; 11; 12; 13. tataH = then; (came); shriiman varaH devaraaja rathaH = the glorious and excellent chariot of Indra; kaaN^chanachitraaN^gaH = having a variegated body; decked in gold; kiN^kiNiishata bhuuShitaH = which was fitted with hundreds of tiny bells; taruNaaditya samkaashaH; vaiduuryamaya kuubaraH = with its pole of cat's eye gems shone like the morning sun; yuktaH = yoked to; sadashvaiH haribhiH = excellent green horses; kaaN^chanaapiiDaiH = having golden chaplets on their headsl shveta praNiirNakaiH = having white whisks; hemajaalavibhuuShitaiH = covered with nets of gold; suuryasamkaashaiH = shining like sun; rukmaveNu dhvajaH = and bearing a flag = staff raised on a golden bamboo; aaruhya = ascending; ratham = the chariot; samdiShTaH = as enjoined; devaraajena = by Indra; avatiirya = and descending; tsiviShTapaat = from paradise; maataliH = Matali; abhyavartata = approached; kaakutthsam = Rama.
Then came the glorious and excellent chariot of Indra, having variegated body decked in gold, which was fitted with hundreds of tiny bells, with its pole of cat's eye gems shone like the morning sun, yoked to excellent green horses, having golden chaplets on their heads, having white whisks, covered with nets of gold, shining like the sun and bearing a flag-staff raised on a golden bamboo. Ascending the chariot, as enjoined by Indra and descending from paradise, Matali approached Rama.
अब्रवीच्च तदा रामन् सप्रतोदो रथे स्थितः |
प्राञ्जलिर्मातलिर्वाक्यन् सहस्राक्षस्य सारथिः || ६-१०२-१४
14. tadaa = then; maataliH = Matali; sahasraakShasya saarathiH = the charioteer of Indra; sapratodaH = along with a whip in his hand; sthitaH = stayed; rathe = in the chariot itself; praaN^jaliH = and joining his palms in salutation; abraviit cha = spoke; vaakyam = the following words; raamam = to Rama.
Then Matali, the charioteer of Indra, along with a whip in his hand, stayed in the chariot itself and joining his palms in salutation, spoke the following words to Rama.
सहस्राक्षेण काकुत्स्थ रथोअयन् विजयाय ते |
दत्तस्तव महासत्त्व श्रीमाञ्शत्रुनिबर्हणः || ६-१०२-१५
15. ayam = this; rathaH = chariot; dattaH = is given; sahasraakShaH = by Indra; tava = to you; te vijayaaya = for your victory; mahaasattva = O the mighty; shriimaan = the glorious; kaakutthsa = Rama; shatrunibarhaNa = the destroyer of enemies!
"Indra has sent this chariot to you for your victory, O the mighty and the glorious Rama, the destroyer of adversaries!"
इदमैन्द्रं महच्चापन् कवचं चाग्निसंनिभम् |
शराश्चादित्यसङ्काशाः शक्तिश्च विमला शिताः || ६-१०२-१६
16. idam = this; mahat chaapam = great bow; aindram = belonging to Indra; kavacham cha = an armour; agnisam nibham = shining as fire; sharaashcha = arrows; aaditya samkaashaaH = bright as the sun; vimalaa = and stainless; shivaa = auspicious; shaktishcha = spear; (were giving).
"Here is the great bow belonging to Indra, an armour shining as fire, some arrows as bright as sun and a stainless auspicious spear."
आरुह्येमन् रथं वीर राक्षसन् जहि रावणम् |
मया सारथिना राम महेन्द्र इव दानवान् || ६-१०२-१७
17. viira = O heroic; raajan = king!; aaruhya = mounting; imam = this; ratham = chariot; mayaa saarathinaa = with me as a charioteer; jahi = kill; raavaNam = Ravana; raakShasam = the king; mahendraH iva = as Indra the lord of celestials; (killed); daanavaan = the demons.
"O heroic king! Mounting this chariot with me as a charioteer, kill Ravana the king, as earlier Indra the lord of celestials killed the demons."
इत्युक्तः स परिक्रम्य रथन् तमभिवाद्य च |
आरुरोह तदा रामो लोकाण्ल्लक्ष्म्या विराजयन् || ६-१०२-१८
18. iti = thus; uktaH = spoken; (by Matali); raamaH = Rama; abhivaadya cha = by offering his salutation; samparikramya = by circumambulating; tam = then; aaruroha = ascended it; viraajayan lokaan = causing the three worlds; to shine forth; lakShmyaa = with his splendour.
Duly circumambulating that chariot (as a mark of respect) and offering his salutation, when thus spoken by Matali, Rama then ascended the chariot, causing the three worlds to shine forth with his splendour.
बभूव च महायुद्धं तुमुलं रोमहर्षणम् |
रामस्य च महाबाहो रावणस्य च रक्षसः || ६-१०२-१९
19. mahaayuddham = a great battle; tumulam = which was tumultuous; roma harShaNam = causing the hair to stand erect; babhuuva cha = ensued; mahaabaahoH raamasya cha = between the great armed Rama; raavaNasya cha = and Ravana; rakShasaH = the demon.
Then ensued a tumultuous and thrilling battle, between the great armed Rama and Ravana, the demon.
स गान्धर्वेण गान्धर्वन् दैवं दैवेन राघवः |
अस्त्रन् राक्षसराजस्य जघान परमास्त्रवित् || ६-१०२-२०
20. saH raaghavaH = that Rama; paramaastravit = who was skilled in the use of great missiles; jaghaana = struck; gaandharvam = the missile presided over by Gandharvas; daivam = and the missile presided over the gods; raakShasa raajasya = discharged by Ravana the king of demons; gaandharveNa daivena = by means of Gandharva missile and Daiva missile.
That Rama, who was skilled in the use of great missiles, struck the missile presided over by Gandharvas and the missile presided over by gods, by means of missiles of the same type.
अस्त्रन् तु परमं घोरन् राक्षसं राकसाधिप |
ससर्ज परमक्रुद्धः पुनरेव निशाचरः || ६-१०२-२१
21. nishaacharaH = Ravana; raakShasaadhipaH = the king of demons; paramakruddhaH = was very much enraged; punareva = and again; sasarja = released; paramam ghoram = an extra ordinarily terrific; raakShasam astram = missile presided over by demons.
Ravana, the king of demons was very much enraged and again released another extra-ordinarily terrific missile presided over by demons.
ते रावणधनुर्मुक्ताः शराः काञ्चनभूषणाः |
अभ्यवर्तन्त काकुत्स्थन् सर्पा भूत्वा महाविषाः || ६-१०२-२२
22. te sharaaH = those arrows; kaaN^chana bhuuShaNaaH = decked with gold; raavaNadhanurmuktaaH = discharged from Ravana's bow; bhuutvaa = turning into; mahaaviShaaH sarpaaH = highly poisonous snakes; abhyavartanta = rolled towards; kaakutthsam = Rama.
Those arrows, decked with gold, discharged from Ravana's bow, turning as they were into highly poisonous snakes and rolled towards Rama.
ते दीप्तवदना दीप्तन् वमन्तो ज्वलनं मुखैः |
राममेवाभ्यवर्तन्त व्यादितास्या भयानकाः || ६-१०२-२३
23. te = those serpents; diipta vadanaaH = with flaming mouths; vyaaditaasyaaH = with mouths wide open; vamantaH = and vomiting; diiptam jvalanam = blazing fire; mukhaiH = by their mouths; bhayaanakaaH = those dreadful (arrows); abhyavartanta = dashed towards; raamameva = Rama alone.
With flaming mouths wide open and vomiting blazing fire, those dreadful snake-like arrows dashed towards Rama alone.
दिशश्च सन्तताः सर्वाः प्रदिशश्च समावृताः || ६-१०२-२४
24. sarvaaH = all; dishshcha = the quarters; samtataaH = stood covered; taiH = by serpents; vaasukisamasparshaiH = whose impact was as hard as that of Vasuki (the king of serpents); diipta bhogaiH = with flaming coils; mahaaviShaiH = and having strong poison; vidishashcha = even the corners between the quarters; samaavR^itaaH = stood enveloped (by them).
All the quarters stood covered by highly poisonous serpents, whose impact was as hard as that of Vasuki (the king of serpents), with the flaming coils. Even the corners between the quarters stood enveloped by them.
तान्दृष्ट्वा पन्नगान्रामः समापतत आहवे |
अस्त्रन् गारुत्मतं घोरं प्रादुश्चक्रे भयावहम् || ६-१०२-२५
25. dR^iShTvaa = seeing; taan pannagaan = those serpents; samaapatataH = rushing towards him; aahave = in the battle-field; raamaH = Rama; praadushchakre = created; ghoram = the terrific; bhyaavaham = and dangerous; gaarutmatam astram = missile presided over by Garuda the eagle (an enemy of serpents).
Seeing those serpents rushing towards him in the battle-field, Rama released the terrific and dangerous missile presided over by Garuda the eagle (an enemy of serpents).
ते राघवधनुर्मुक्ता रुक्मपुङ्खाः शिखिप्रभाः |
सुपर्णाः काञ्चना भूत्वा विचेरुः सर्पशत्रवः || ६-१०२-२६
26. te = those arrows; rukmapuN^khaaH = with golden shafts; shikhiprabhaaH = and which shone like flames; raaghava dhanur-muktaaH = discharged from Rama's bow; bhuutvaa = turning into; kaaN^chanaaH suparNaaH = golden eagles; sarpashatravaH = the enemies of serpents; vicheruH = flew all around.
With golden shafts which shone like flames, discharged by Rama's bow turning into golden eagles (the enemies of serpents) those arrows flew all around.
ते तान्सर्वाञ्शराञ्जघ्नुः सर्परूपान्महाजवान् |
सुपर्णरूपा रामस्य विशिखाः कामरूपिणः || ६-१०२-२७
27. te vishikhaaH = those arrows; raamasya = of Rama; kaamaruupiNaH = which can assume any form at will; suvarNaruupaH = assumed the eagles; jaghnuH = and destroyed; taan sarvaan sharaan = all those arrows; mahaajavaan = which flew with a great speed; sarparuupaan = in the form of snakes.
Those arrows of Rama, which can assume any form at will, appeared in the form of eagles and destroyed all those arrows, which flew with a great speed in the form of snakes.
अस्त्रे प्रतिहते क्रुद्धो रावणो राक्षसाधिपः |
अभ्यवर्षत्तदा रामन् घोराभिः शरवृष्टिभिः || ६-१०२-२८
28. raakShasaadhipaH = Ravana; tadaa = then; kruddhaH = enraged; astre pratihate = as his missile was frustrated; abhyavarShat = streamed forth; ghoraabhiH = terrific; sharavR^iShTibhiH = showers of arrows; raamam = on Rama.
Enraged on his missile having been frustrated by Rama, Ravana streamed forth terrific showers of arrows on Rama.
ततः शरसहस्रेण राममक्लिष्टकारिणम् |
अर्दयित्वा शरौघेण मातलिं प्रत्यविध्यत || ६-१०२-२९
29. ardayitvaa = tormenting; raamam = Rama; akliShTakaariNaa = of unwearied action; sharasahasreNa = with thousand arrows; tataH = (Ravana) then; pratya vidhyata = pierced; maatalim = Matali; sharaugheNa = with a multitude of arrows.
Tormenting Rama of unwearied action with thousand arrows, Ravana then pierced Matali with a multitude of arrows.
चिच्छेद केतुमुद्दिश्य शरेणैकेन रावणः |
पातयित्वा रथोपस्थे रथात्केतुन् च काञ्चनम् || ६-१०२-३०
ऐन्द्रानभिजघानाश्वाञ्शरजालेन रावणः |
30. uddishya = targetting; ekena shareNa = with only one arrow; raavaNaH = Ravana; chichheda = tore off; ketum = the flag-staff; paatayitvaa = striking down; kaaN^chanam ketum = the golden flag-staff; rathaat = from the (top of the) chariot; rathopasthe = down to the seat of the chariot; raavaNaH = Ravana; jaghaana = struck; indraanashvaan api = eve Indra's horses; sharajaalena = with a multitude of arrows.
Targeting with only one arrow, Ravana tore off the flag-staff. Striking down the golden flag-staff from the top of the chariot down to the seat of the chariot, Ravana struck even Indra's horses with a multitude of arrows.
विषेदुर्देवगन्धर्वा दानवाश्चारणैः सह || ६-१०२-३१
राममार्तन् तदा दृष्ट्वा सिद्धाश्च परमर्षयः |
व्यथिता वानरेन्द्राश्च बभूवुः सविभीषणाः || ६-१०२-३२
रामचन्द्रमसन् दृष्ट्वा ग्रस्तन् रावणराहुणा |
31; 32. dR^iShTvaa = seeing; raamam = Rama; aartam = afflicted; devagandharva chaaraNaaH = the gods; Gandharvas the celestials musicians; Charanas teh celestial bards; daanavaiH saha = along with demons; siddhaashcha = as also Siddhas; the demi-gods; paramarShayaH = the great sages; viSheduH = felt dejected; dR^iShTvaa = seeing; raamachandramasam = the moon in the shape of Rama; grastam = eclipsed; raavaNaraahunaa = by Rahu in the shape of Ravana; vaanarendraashcha = the mokey-cheifs too; savobhiiShaNaaH = including Vibhishana; babhuuvuH = became; vyathitaaH = perturbed.
Seeing Rama afflicted, the gods, Gandharvas the celestial musicians, Charanas the celestials bards along with the demons, as also Siddhas the demi-gods and the great sages felt dejected. Seeing the moon in the shape of Rama eclipsed by Rahu in the shape of Ravana, the monkey-chiefs too, along with Vibhishana, felt perturbed.
प्राजापत्यन् च नक्षत्रन् रोहिणीं शशिनः प्रियाम् || ६-१०२-३३
समाक्रम्य बुधस्तस्थौ प्रजानामशुभावहः |
33. budham = the planet Mercury; tasthau = stood; aakramya = assailing; rohiNiim = the constellation Rohini; praajaapatyam = presided over by the god Prajapati (the lord of creation); priyaam = the beloved; shasinaH = of the moon nakShatram = the heavenly body; ashubhaavahaH = and spelling disaster; prajaanaam = to the created beings.
Seeing thus the moon in the shape of Rama eclipsed by the planet Rahu in the shape of Ravana, the planet Mercury stood, assailing the constellation Rohini presided over by the god Prajapati (the lord of creation), the beloved of the moon the heavenly body and spelling disaster to all created beings.
सधूमपरिवृत्तोर्मिः प्रज्वलन्निव सागरः || ६-१०२-३४
उत्पपात तदा क्रुद्धः स्पृशन्निव दिवाकरम् |
34. prajvalanniva = blazing as it were; kruddhaH = in fury; saagaraH = the ocean; utpapaata = rose high; tadaa = at that time; spR^ishanniva = as though it was going to touch; divaakaram = the sun; sadhuumaparivR^ittormiH = its mist-wreathed waves moving to-and-fro.
Blazing as it were in fury, the ocean rose high at that time, as though it was going to touch the sun, its mist-wreathed waves moving to-and-fro.
शस्त्रवर्णः सुपरुषो मन्दरश्मिर्दिवाकरः || ६-१०२-३५
अदृश्यत कबन्धाङ्गः सन्सक्तो धूमकेतुना |
35. divaakaraH = the sun; shastravaraNaH = looking ashy in colour; suparuShaH = and assuming a piercing aspect; mandarashmiH = its rays grown exhilarated; adR^ishyata = appeared; kabandhaaNkaH = in a headless trunk in its lap; samsaktaH = and united; dhuumaketunaa = with a comet.
The sun, looking ashy in colour assuming a piercing aspect, and its rays grown exhilarated, appeared in a headless trunk in its lap and united with a comet.
कोसलानान् च नक्षत्रन् व्यक्तमिन्द्राग्निदैवतम् || ६-१०२-३६
आक्रम्याङ्गारकस्तस्थौ विशाखामपि चाम्बरे |
36. aN^gaarakaH = the planet Mars; tasthau = stood; aakramya = assailing; ambare = in the sky; nakShatram vishaakhaam = the coustellation Vishakha; aindraagnidaivatam = presided over by the gods Indra and Agni (the god of fire) kosalaanaam vyaktam = which is adorned by the kings of Kosala.
The planet Mars stood assailing in the sky, the constellation Vishakha, presided over by the gods Indra and Agni (the god of fire), which is adorned by the kings of Kosala.
दशास्यो विंशतिभुजः प्रगृहीतशरासनः || ६-१०२-३७
अदृश्यत दशग्रीवो मैनाक इव पर्वतः |
37. dashagriivaH = (That) Ravana; dashaasyaH = having ten faces; vimshati bhujaH = and twenty arms; pragR^ihiita sharaasanaH = holding a bow tightly in his hands; adR^ishyata = looked; mainaakaH parvataH iva = like Mount Mainaka.
That Ravana, having ten faces and twenty arms, holding a bow tightly in his hands, looked like Mount Mainaka.
निरस्यमानो रामस्तु दशग्रीवेण रक्षसा || ६-१०२-३८
नाशकदभिसन्धातुन् सायकान्रणमूर्धनि |
38. nirasyamaanaH = being overwhelmed; dashagriiveNa = by Ravana; rakShasaa = the demon; raNamuurdhani = in the battle-front; raamaH = Rama; na ashaknot = could not; saayakaan abhisamdhaatum = fit his arrows to his bow.
Being overwhelmed by Ravana the demon in the battle-front, Rama could not fit his arrows to his bow.
स कृत्वा भ्रुकुटीन् क्रुद्धः किं चित्सन्रक्तलोचनः || ६-१०२-३९
जगाम सुमहाक्रोधं निर्दहन्निव रक्षसान् |
39. saH = that Rama; kruddhaH = enraged; bhR^ikuTim kR^itvaa = knitting his eye-brows; kimchit samrakta lochanaH = his eyes turned slightly blood-red; jagaama = got; sumahaakrodham = into a fierce anger; nirdahanniva rakShasaan = as though he would burn out the demons.
The enraged Rama, knitting his eye-brows and with his eyes turned slightly blood-red, was provoked to fierce anger, as though he would burn out the demons.
तस्य क्रुद्धस्य वदनं दृष्ट्वा रामस्य धीमतः || ६-१०२-४०
सर्वभूतानि वित्रेसुः प्राकम्पत च मेदिनी |
40. dR^iShTvaa = seeing; vadanam = the face; tasya = dhiimataH raamasya = of that sagacious Rama; kruddhasya = getting provoked of anger; sarva bhuutaani = all the living bengs; vitreShu = got frightened; medinii cha = the earth too; praakampata = began to tremble.
Seeing the face of the sagacious Rama getting provoked of anger, all the living beings got frightened. The earth too began to tremble.
सिंहशार्दूलवान् शैलः संचचाल चलद्द्रुमः |
बभूव चापि क्षुभितः समुद्रः सरितां पतिः || ६-१०२-४१
41. shailaH = the mountain; simha saarduulaan = with lions and tigers; chaladrumaH = as also with swaying trees; samchchaala = was trembled; samudraH chaapi = even the ocean; saritaampatiH = the lord of rivers; babhuuva = became; kShubhitaH = agitated.
The mountain, with lions, tigers and swaying trees, was trembled. Even the ocean, the lord of rivers, became agitated.
खराश्च खरनिर्घोषा गगने परुषा घनाः |
औत्पातिकाश्च नर्दन्तः समन्तात् परिचक्रमुः || ६-१०२-४२
42. ghanaaH = the clouds; kharaaH = which were dense; khara nirghoShaaH = with harsh sounds; paruShaaH autpaatikaaH = and assuming a stern aspect; parichakramuH = roamed; samantaat = all over; gagane = in the sky; nardantaH = thundering.
Dense clouds, emitting harsh sounds and assuming a stern aspect, roamed all over in the sky, thundering.
रामं दृष्ट्वा सुसंक्रुद्धमुत्पातांशैव दारुणान् |
वित्रेसुः सर्वभूतानि रावणस्याभवद्भयम् || ६-१०२-४३
43. dR^iShTvaa = seeing; susamkruddham = the very much enraged; raamam = Rama; daaruNaan utpaataan cha = and terrific portents; sarvabhuutaani = all the living beings; vitresuH = were frightened; bhayam = fear; abhavat = seized; raavaNasya = Ravana (too).
Seeing the very much enraged Rama and also the terrific portents, all the living beings were frightened. Fear seized Ravana too.
विमानस्थास्थदा देवा गन्धर्वाश्च महोरगाः |
ऋषिदानवदैत्याश्च गरुत्मन्तश्च खेचराः || ६-१०२-४४
ददृशुस्ते तदा युद्धं लोकसंवर्तसंस्थितम्
नानाप्रहरणैर्भीमैः शूरयोः संप्रयुध्यतोः || ६-१०२-४५
44; 45. vimaanasthaaH = seated in their aerial cars; devaaH = gods; gandharvaashcha = Gandharvas the celestial musicians; mahoragaaH = great Nagas (semi divine beings having the face of a man and the tail of serpent); R^iShidaanavadaityaashcha = the sages; demons and giants; khecharaaH te garutmantashcha = and those eagles remaining in the air; dadR^ishaH = saw; tadaa = then; yuddham shuurayoH = the battle of two heroes; samprayudhyatoH = fighting steadily; bhiimaiH naanaa praharaNaiH = with various dreadful weapons; lokasamvarta samsthitam = looking like the final dissolution of the world.
Seated in their aerial cars, gods, Gandharvas the celestial musicians, great Nagas (semi divine beings having the face of a man and the tail of a serpent), the sages, demons, giants and those eagles remaining in the air, saw then the battle of two heroes, fighting steadily with various dreadful weapons and looking like the final dissolution of the world.
ऊचुः सुरासुराः सर्वे तदा विग्रहमागताः |
प्रेक्षमाणा महद्युद्धं वाक्यं भक्त्या प्रहृष्टवत् || ६-१०२-४६
46. prahR^iShTavat = getting rejoiced; prekShamaaNaaH = on observing; mahat yuddham = that great battle; sarve = all; suraasuraaH = the gods and demons; vigraham aagataaH = who had come to witness the conflict; tadaa = at that time; uuchuH = spoke; vaakyam = the following words; bhaktyaa = with devotion.
Getting rejoiced on observing that great battle, all the gods and demons who had come to witness the conflict at that time, responded:
दशग्रीवं जयेत्याहुरसुराः समवस्थिताः |
देवा राममवोचंस्ते त्वं जयेति पुनः पुनः || ६-१०२-४७
47. asuraaH = the demons; samavasthitaaH = who reached there; aahuH = cried out; dashagriivam = to Ravana; jaya it = "Be Victorious!"; te = those; devaaH = gods; aahuH = called; raamam = to Rama; punaH punaH iti = saying again and again; jaya tvam = "Be you victorious!".
The demons who reached there cried out to Ravana, "Be victorious!". Those gods called to Rama saying again and again: "Be you victorious!".
एतस्मिन्नन्तरे क्रोधाद्राघवस्य स रावणः |
प्रहर्तुकामो दुष्टात्मा स्पृशन् प्रहरणं महत् || ६-१०२-४८
वज्रसारं महानादं सर्वशत्रुनिबर्हणम् |
शैलशृङ्गनिभैः कूटैश्चित्तदृष्टिभयावहम् || ६-१०२-४९
सधूममिव तीक्षणग्रं युगान्ताग्निचयोपमम् |
अतिरौद्रमनासाद्यं कालेनापि दुरासद्म् || ६-१०२-५०
त्रासनं सर्वभूतानां दारणं भेदनं तथा |
प्रदीप्तमिव रोषेण शूलं जग्राह रावणः || ६-१०२-५१
48-51. etasmin antare = in the meanwhile; saH raavaNaH = that Ravana; duShTaatmaa = the evil-minded; raavaNaH = who caused enemies to cry; krodhaat = with anger; spR^ihan = stroking; mahat praharaNam = a great weapon; prahartukaamaH = wishing to strike; raaghavasya = Rama; jagraaha = took hold; roSheNa = with fury; shuulam = of a spike; vajrasaaram = which was powerful as a thunderbolt; mahaanaadam = which made a loud noise (when hurled at its target); sarvashatrunibarhaNam = capable of exterminating all enemies; shailashR^iN^ga nibhaiH = resembling mountain-peaks; kuuTaiH = which with its sharp points; chittadR^iSTibhayaavaham = dreadful to conceive and to behold; sadhuumamiva tiikShNaagram yugaantaagnichayopamam = resembling a smoke-crested mass of fire blazing at the end of the world-cycle; atiraudram = exceedingly furious; anaasaadyam = which was difficult to approach; kaalenaapi = even for Death; duraasaasaadyam = which was unassailable; traasanam sarvabhuutaanaam = which was a terror for all living beings; daaruNam tathaa bhedanam = capable as it was of tearing and splitting them; pradiiptam iva = and blazing as it was.
In the meantime, that evil-minded Ravana, who caused enemies to cry, stroking with anger a great weapon wishing to strike Rama, took hold off with fury, a spike, which was powerful as a thunderbolt, which made a loud noise (when hurled at a target), capable of exterminating all enemies, resembling the mountain-peaks, which with its sharp points dreadful to conceive and to behold, resembling a smoke-crested mass of fire blazing at the end of the world-cycle, exceedingly furious, which was difficult to approach even for Death, which was unassailable, which was a terror for all beings, capable as it was of tearing and splitting them and blazing as it was.
तच्छूलं परमक्रुद्धो मध्ये जग्राह वीर्यवान् |
अनीकैः समरे शूरै राक्षसैः परिवारितः || ६-१०२-५२
52. viiryavaan = that valiant Ravana; parivaaritaH = surrounded; shuuraiH aniikaiH = by warriors of demons; samare = in battle; parama kruddhaH = was very much enraged; jagraaha = and took hold of; tat = that; shuulam = spear; madhye = at its middle.
That valiant Ravana, surrounded by warriors of demons in battle, was very much enraged and took hold of that spear at its middle.
समुद्यम्य महाकायो ननाद युधि भैरवम् |
संरक्तनयनो रोषात् स्वसैन्यमभिहर्षयन् || ६-१०२-५३
53. samraktanayanaH = with blood-red eyes; roShaat = in anger; mahaakaayaH = Ravana with his collossal body; samudyamya = duly lifting his spear and bringing rejoice to; svasainyam = his own army; nanaada = roared; bhairavam = terribly; yudhi = in battle.
With blood-red eyes in anger, Ravana with his collossal body, duly raising the spear and bringing rejoice to his own army, roared terribly in battle.
पृथिवीं चान्तरिक्षं च दिशश्च प्रदिशस्तथा |
प्राकम्पयत्तदा शब्दो राक्षसेन्द्रस्य दारुणः || ६-१०२-५४
54. daaruNaH = the terrific; shabdaH = roar; raakShasendrasya = of Ravana; tadaa = then; praakampayat = trebled; pR^ithiviimcha = the earth; antarikShamcha = the sky; dishashcha = the four quarters; tathaa = and; pradishashcha = and the angles of the compass.
The terrific noise made by Ravana then trembled the earth, the sky, the four quarters and the angles of the compass
अतिकायस्य नादेन तेन तस्य दुरात्मनः |
सर्वभूतानि वित्रेसुः सागरश्च प्रचुक्षुभे || ६-१०२-५५
55. tena naadena = by that roar; tasya duraat manaH = of that evil-minded Ravana; atikaayasya = of a collossal body; sarvabhuutaani = all the living beings; vitresuH = were frightened; saagarashcha = the ocean too; prachukShubhe = got agitated.
By that roar of that evil-minded Ravana of a collossal body, all the living beings were frightened. The ocean too got agitated.
स गृहीत्वा महावीर्यः शूलं तद्रावणो महत् |
विनद्य सुमहानादं रामं परुषमब्रवीत् || ६-१०२-५६
56. gR^ihiitvaa = taking hold of; tat mahat shuulam = that large spear; saH raavaNaH = that Ravana; mahaaviirya = of great prowess; vinadya = emitting; sumahaanaadam = a very loud roar; abraviit = spoke; paruSham = the following harsh words; raamam = to Rama.
Taking hold of that large spear, that Ravana of great prowess, emitting a very loud roar, spoke the following harsh words to Rama:
शूलोऽयं वज्रसारस्ते राम रोषन्मयोद्यतः |
तव भ्रातृसहायस्य सम्यक् प्राणान् हरिष्यति || ६-१०२-५७
57. udyataH = raised; roShaat = in fury; mayaa = by me; raama = O Rama!; ayam shuulaH = this spear; vajrasaaraH = with the power of a thunder-bolt; samyak hariShyati = will surely take away; tava praaNaan = the lives of you; bhraatR^ihaayasya = along with life of your brother; your help-mate.
"Raised in fury by me, O Rama! This spear with the power of a thunder-bolt, will take away surely your life along with the life of your bother, your help-mate."
रक्षसामद्य शूराणां निहतानां चमूमुखे |
त्वां निहत्य रणश्लाघी करोमि तरसा समम् || ६-१०२-५८
58. nihatya = killing; tvaam = you; tavasaa = with my strength; adya = now; raNashlaaghii = I; who always commend war-fare; karomi = will make you; samam = equal; shuuraaNaam rakShasaam = with the valiant demons; nihataanaam = who have been killed; chamuumukhe = in the battle front.
"Killing you with my strength now, I, who always commend war-fare, will make you level with the valiant demons, who have been killed in the battle-front."
तिष्ठेदानीं निहन्मि त्वामेष शूलेन राघव |
एवमुक्त्वा स चिक्षेप तच्छूलं राक्षसाधिपः || ६-१०२-५९
59. tiShTha = wait; eShaH = this I; nihanmi = will kill; tvaam = you; shuulena = with the spear; idaaniim = now; raaghava = O Rama!; evam uktvaa = thus speaking; saH raakShasaadhipaH = that demon; chikShepa = hurled; tat shuulam = the spear.
"Wait, I will kill you with the spear now, O Rama!" Saying so, that demon hurled that spear.
तद्रावणकरान्मुक्तं विद्युन्मालासमावृतम् |
अष्टघण्टं महानादं वियद्गतमशोभत || ६-१०२-६०
60. tat = that spear; vidyummaalaasamavR^itam = wreathed as it was in a circle of lightning; aShTaghaN^Tam = provided as it was with eight bells; mahaanaadam = and making a loud noise; muktam = released; raavaNakaraat = from the hand of Ravana; ashobhata = splashed; viyadgatam = as it went into the sky.
That spear, wreathed as it was in a circle of lightning, provided as it was with eight bells and making a loud noise, released from Ravana's hand, splashed, as it went into tehs sky.
तच्छूलां रागवो द्ऱिष्ट्वा ज्वलन्तं घोरदर्शनम् |
ससर्ज विशिखान् रामश्चापमायम्य वीर्यवान् || ६-१०२-६१
61. dR^iShTvaa = seeing; tat = that; jvalantam = blazing; shuulam = spear; ghora darshanam = of terrible appearance; viiryavaan = the valiant; raamaH = Rama; raaghavaH = who was born in Raghu dynasty; aayamya = having stretched; chaapam = his bow; sasarja = released; vishikhaan = the arrows.
Seeing that blazing spear of terrible appearance, the valiant Rama who was born in Raghu dynasty, having stretched his bow, released the arrows.
आपतन्तं शरौघेण वारयामास राघवः |
उत्पतन्तं युगान्ताग्निं जलौघैरिव वासवः || ६-१०२-६२
62. sharaugheNa = with streams of arrows; raaghavaH = Rama; vaarayaamaasa = warded off; aapatantam = that spear which was rushing upon him; jalaughaiH iva = as with streams of water; vaasavaH = Indra the lord of celestials (warded off); utpatantam yugaantaagnim = the fire shooting up at the time of dissolution of the world.
With streams of arrows, Rama warded off that spear, which was rushing upon him, as with streams of water, Indra the lord of celestials warded off the fire shooting up at the time of dissolution of the world.
निर्ददाह स तान् बाणान् रामकार्मुकनिःसृतान् |
रावणस्य महान् शूलः पतङ्गानिव पावकः || ६-१०२-६३
63. saH = that; mahaan = large; shuulaH = spear; raavaasya = of Ravana; nirdadaaha = consumed; taan baaNaan = those arrows; raama kaarmukaniHsR^itaan = coming forth from Rama's bow; paavakaH iva = as fire; (would consumed); pataN^gaan = the moths.
That large spear of Ravana consumed those arrows coming forth from Rama's bow, as fire would consume the moths.
तान् दृष्ट्वा भस्मसाद्भूतान् शूलसंस्पर्शचूर्णतान् |
सायकानन्तरिक्षस्थान् रागवः क्रोधमाहरत् || ६-१०२-६४
64. dR^iShTvaa = seeing; taan saayakaan = those arrows; shuulasamsparsha chuurNitaan = smashed; by coming into contact with the spear; bhasma saadbhuutaan = and reduced to ashes; antarikShasthaan = even while positioned in the sky; raaghavaH = Rama; aaharat = was seized; krodham = with fury.
Seeing those arrows smashed by coming into contact with the spear and reduced to ashes even while positioned in the sky, Rama was seized with fury.
स तां मातलिनानीतां शक्तिं वासवसंमताम् |
जग्राह परमक्रुद्धो राघवो रघवनन्दनः || ६-१०२-६५
65. saH raaghavaH = that Rama; raaghunandanaH = te delight of the Raghus; parama kruddhaH = was quite enraged; jagraaha = and took hold; taam shaktim = of that spear; aaniitaam = brought; maatalinaa = by Matali the charioteer; vaasaasammataam = as desired by Indra the lord of celestials.
That Rama, the delight of Raghus, was quite enraged and took hold of that spear brought by Matali the charioteer, as desired by Indra the lord of celestials.
सा तोलिता बलवता शक्तिर्घण्टाकृतस्वना |
नभः प्रज्वालयामास युगान्तोल्केव सप्रभा || ६-१०२-६६
66. saa shaktiH = that spear; tolitaa = lifted up; balavataa = by the powerful Rama; ghaNTaakR^ita svanaa = which was rendered resonated by the bells; prajvaalayaamaasa = began to blaze; saprabhaa yugaantolkeva = like a blazing meteor at the time of dissolution of the world.
That spear, lifted up by the powerful Rama, which was rendered resonated by the bells, began to blaze like a blazing meteor at the time of the dissolution of the world.
सा क्षिप्ता राक्षसेन्द्रस्य तस्मिन् शूले पपात ह |
भिन्नः शक्त्या महान् शूलो निपपात हतद्युतिः || ६-१०२-६७
67. saa = that spear; kShiptaa = hurled (by Rama); nipapaata ha = fell; tasmin raakShasendrasya shuule = on that Ravana's spear; bhinnaH = torn down; shaktyaa = by Rama's spear; mahaan shuulaH = the large spear of Ravana; nipapaata = fell (on the ground); hata dyutiH = with its lustre extinguished.
That spear, hurled by Rama, fell on that Ravana's spear. Torn down by Rama's spear, the large spear of Ravana fell on the ground, with its lustre extinguished.
निर्भभेद ततो बाणैर्हयानस्य महाजवान् |
रामस्त्रीक्षणैर्महावेगैर्बाणवद्भिरजिह्मगैः || ६-१०२-६८
68. tiikShNaiH = with terrific arrows; mahaavegaiH = of high speed; baaNavadbhiH = with their shafts made of reeds; ajihmagaiH = going straight to their target; raamaH = Rama; nirbibheda = pierced; mahaajavaan = the exceedingly fleet; hayaan = horses; asya = of Ravana.
With terrific arrows of high speed, with their shafts made of reeds, going straight to their target, Rama pierced the exceedingly fleet horses of Ravana.
निर्बधेदोरसि तदा रावणं निशितैः शरैः |
राघवः परमायत्तो ललाटे पत्त्रिभिस्त्रिभिः || ६-१०२-६९
69. raaghavaH = Rama; tadaa = then; nirbibheda = pierced; nishitaiH sharaiH = with his sharp arrows; urasi = the chest-region; raavaNam = of Ravana; paramaayattaH = quite deliberately; (he struck); lalaaTe = the forehead of Ravana; tribhiH = with three; pattribhiH = arrows.
With his sharp arrows, Rama then pierced the chest-region of Ravana. He also struck, quite deliberately, the forehead of Ravana with three arrows.
स शरैर्भिन्नसर्वाङ्गो गात्रप्रसृतशोणितः |
राक्षसेन्द्रः समूहस्थः पुल्लाशोक इवाबभौ || ६-१०२-७०
70. bhinna sarvaaN^gaH = with all his limbs torn down; sharaiH = by arrows; gaatra prashR^ita shoNitaH = with blood flowing from his limbs; saH raakShasendraH = that Ravana; aababhau = shone; phullaashokaH iva = like a blooming Ashoka tree; samuuhasthaH = in the midst of a multitude of trees.
With all his limbs torn down by arrows and with blood flowing from his limbs, that Ravana in the midst of demons, shone like a blooming Ashoka tree in the midst of a multitude of trees.
स रामबाणैरतिविद्धगात्रो |
निशाचरेन्द्रः क्षतजार्द्रगात्रः |
जगाम खेदं च समाजमध्ये |
क्रोधं च चक्रे सुभृशं तदानीम् || ६-१०२-७१
71. saH nishaacharendraH = that Ravana; atividdhagaatraH = with his limbs severely = injured; raama baaNaiH = by Rama's arrows; kShatajaardragaatraH = and his body bathed in blood; jagaama khedam = felt exhausted; samaajamadhye = in the midst of a multitude of demons; subhR^isham krodham cha chakre = gave went to a violent anger; tadaaniim = at that time.
With his limbs severely injured by Rama's arrows and with his body bathed in blood, that Ravana felt exhausted in the middle of a multitude of demons and gave went to a violent anger at that time.
- - - -
इत्यार्षे श्रीमद्रामायणे आदिकाव्ये युद्धकाण्डे द्व्यधिकशततमः सर्गः
|Top of Page||1||2||3||4|
© June 2009, K. M. K. Murthy