Rama and Ravana confront each other with various arrows and missiles. Meanwhile, Lakshmana joins the fight and chops off Ravana's bow with his arrows. Vibhishana also fights and kills Ravana's horses. Lakshmana rescues Vibhishana, when a spear is hurled on him by Ravana. Then, Ravana throws a spear on Lakshmana. As it penetrates Lakshmana's bossom, Lakshmana falls down unconscious. Rama hurls hails of arrows on Ravana from his flaming bow. Ravana takes to his heels out of fear.
तस्मिन्प्रतिहतेअस्त्रे तु रावणो राक्षसाधिपः |
क्रोधन् च द्विगुणं चक्रे क्रोधाच्चास्त्रमनन्तरम् || ६-१००-१
1. tasmin astram = when that missile; pratihate = was struck down; raavaNaH = Ravana; raakShasaadhipaH = the king of demons; chakre krodham divguNam = (for his part) doubled his fury; krodhaat cha = and in his anger; astram = (employed another) missile; anantaram = immediately.
When that missile was made defunct, Ravana the king of demons, for his part, doubled his fury and in his anger, began to employ another missile immediately.
मयेन विहितन् रौद्रमन्यदस्त्रं महाद्युतिः |
उत्स्रष्टुन् रावणो घोरं राघवाय प्रचक्रमे || ६-१००-२
2. raavaNaH = Ravana; mahaadyutiH = who was endowed with extra ordinary splendour; prachakrame = started; utsR^iShTum = to release; anyat = another; astram = missile; raudram = which was cruel; bhiimam = and terrific; vihitam = built; mayena = by Maya; the demon; raaghavaaya = on Rama.
Ravana, who was endowed with extraordinary splendour, started to release another cruel and terrific missile built by Maya the demon, on Rama.
ततः शूलानि निश्चेरुर्गदाश्च मुसलानि च |
कार्मुकाद्दीप्यमानानि वज्रसाराणि सर्वशः || ६-१००-३
3. tataH = then; kaarmukaat = from that bow; nishcheruH = came forth; diipyamaanaani = blazing; shuulaam = pikes; gadaashcha = maces; musalaani = and clubs; vajrasaaraaNi = which were hard as adamant; sarvashaH = on all sides.
Then, from that bow, came forth, blazing pikes, maces and clubs, which were hard as adamant, on all sides.
मुद्गरः कूटपाशाश्च दीप्ताश्चाशनयस्तथा |
निष्पेतुर्विविधास्तीक्ष्णा वाता इव युगक्षये || ६-१००-४
4. vividhaaH = various kinds; tiikShaNaaH mudgaraaH = of furious mallets; kuuTapaashaashcha = deceptive nooses; tathaa = and; diiptaaH = blazing; ashanayashcha = thunderbolts; niShpetuH = came forth; vaataaH iva = like piercing gales; yugakShaye = at the time of the destruction of the world.
Various kinds of furious mallets, deceptive nooses and blazing thunderbolts came forth, like piercing gales at the time of the destruction of the world.
तदस्त्रन् राघवः श्रीमानुत्तमास्त्रविदां वरः |
जघान परमास्त्रेण गन्धर्वेण महाद्युतिः || ६-१००-५
5. raaghavaH = Rama; shriimaan = the glorious; varaH uttamaastra vidaam = the foremost among the knower of excellent missiles; mahaadyutiH = who was endowed with extraordinary splendour; jaghaana = struck down; tat = that; astram = missile; paramaastreNa = with an excellent missiles; gaandharveNa = presided over by Gandharavas the celestials musicians.
The glorious Rama, the foremost among the knower in the use of excellent missiles and who was endowed with extra ordinary splendour, struck down that missile with an excellent missile presided over by Gandharvas the celestial musicians.
तस्मिन्प्रतिहतेअस्त्रे तु राघवेण महात्मना |
रावणः क्रोधताम्राक्षः सौरमस्त्रमुदीरयत् || ६-१००-६
6. tasmin astre = when that missile; pratihate = was struck down; mahaatmanaa raaghaveNa = by the great souled Rama; raavanaH = Ravana; krodha taamraakShaH = with his coppery eyes in anger; udairayat = employed; sauram astram = a missile presided over by the sun-god.
When that missile was made defunct by the great souled Rama, Ravana with his coppery eyes in anger, employed a missile presided over by the sun-god.
ततश्चक्राणि निष्पेतुर्भास्वराणि महान्ति च |
कार्मुकाद्भीमवेगस्य दशग्रीवस्य धीमतः || ६-१००-७
7. tataH = then; niShpetuH = came forth; bhaasvaraaNi = resplendent; mahaanti = and large; chakraaNi = discuses; kaarmukaat = from the bow; dhiimataH dashagriivashcha = of the intelligent Ravana; bhiimavegasya = of terrific impetuosity.
Then came forth resplendent and large discuses, from the bow of that intelligent Ravana, of terrific impetuosity.
तैरासीद्गगनन् दीप्तन् सम्पतद्भिरितस्ततः |
पतद्भिश्च दिशो दीप्तैश्चन्द्रसूर्यग्रहैरिव || ६-१००-८
8. sampatadbhiH = even as they came forth; patadbhishcha = and falling; samantataH = on all sides; taiH = by them; gaganam = the sky; aasiit = diiptam = was blazing; dishashcha = and the quarters (illuminated); chandra suurya grahairiva = as by the moon; the sun and other planets.
Even as they came forth and falling on all sides, the sky was blazing and the quarters illuminated, as by the moon, the sun and other planets.
तानि चिच्छेद बाणौघैश्चक्राणि तु स राघवः |
आयुधानि विचित्राणि रावणस्य चमूमुखे || ६-१००-९
9. chamunmukhe = in the forefront; raavanasya = of Ravana's army; saH raaghavaH = that Rama; chichchheda = split; taani = those; chakraaNi = discuses; aayudhaani cha chitraaNi = and (other) strange weapons; baaNaughe = with a multitude of arrows.
In the forefront of Ravana's army, that Rama split those discuses and other strange weapons, with a multitude of arrows.
तदस्त्रन् तु हतं दृष्ट्वा रावणो राक्षसाधिपः |
विव्याध दशभिर्बाणै रामन् सर्वेषु मर्मसु || ६-१००-१०
10. dR^iShTvaa = seeing; tat = that; astram = missile; hatam = struck down; raavaNaH = Ravana; raakShasa adhipaH = the king of demons; vivyaadha = hit; raamam = Rama; sarveShu marmasu = in all his vital organs; dashabhiH baaNaiH = with ten arrows.
Seeing that missile struck down, Ravana the king of demons, for his part, pierced Rama with ten arrows in all his vital parts.
स विद्धो दशभिर्बाणैर्महाकार्मुकनिःसृतैः |
रावणेन महातेजा न प्राकम्पत राघवः || ६-१००-११
11. viddhaH = (eventhough) struck; dashabhiH baaNaiH = by ten arrows; mahaakaarmukaniHsR^itaiH = released from the great bow; raavaNena = by Ravana; saH raaghavaH = that Rama; mahaatejaaH = of extraordinary energy; na praakampata = was not shaken.
Eventhough that Ravana struck Rama with those ten arrows released from his great bow, Rama of extraordinary energy was not shaken.
ततो विव्याध गात्रेषु सर्वेषु समितिञ्जयः |
राघवस्तु सुसङ्क्रुद्धो रावणं बहुभिः शरैः || ६-१००-१२
12. tataH = then; raaghavastu = Rama; samitimjayaH = the victorious in battle; susamkruddhaH = was quite enraged; vivyaadha = and struck; raavaNam = Ravana; sarveShu gaatreShu = in all his organs; babhubhiH saraiH = with a multitude of arrows.
Then, Rama the victorious in battle, was quite enraged and struck Ravana in all his organs with a multitude of arrows.
एतस्मिन्नन्तरे क्रुद्धो राघवस्यानुजो बली |
लक्ष्मणः सायकान्सप्त जग्राह परवीरहा || ६-१००-१३
13. etasmin antare = in the meantime; kruddhaH = the enraged lakShmaNaH = Lakshmana; raaghvasya anujaH = Rama's younger brother; bahii = whom as strong; paraviirahaa = and the destroyer of valiant enemies; jagraaha = seized hold; sapta saayakaan = of seven arrows.
In the meantime, the mighty and enraged Lakshmana, Rama's younger brother, the destroyer of valiant enemies, seized hold of seven arrows.
तैः सायकैर्महावेगै रावणस्य महाद्युतिः |
ध्वजं मनुष्यशीर्षन् तु तस्य चिच्छेद नैकधा || ६-१००-१४
14. mahaadyutiH = Lakshmana of great brilliance; taiH saayakaiH = with those arrows; mahaavegaiH = of high velocity; chichchheda = tore off; naikadhaa = into many pieces; dhvajam = the flag-staff tasya raavaNasya = of that Ravana; manuShya shiirSham = which bore the emblem of a man's head.
Lakshmana of great brilliance, with those arrows of high velocity, tore off into many pieces, the flag-staff of Ravana, which bore the emblem of a man's head.
सारथेश्चापि बाणेन शिरो ज्वलितकुण्डलम् |
जहार लक्ष्मणः श्रीमान्नैरृतस्य महाबलः || ६-१००-१५
15. shriimaan = the glorious; mahaabalaH = and mighty; lakShmaNaH = Lakshmana; baaNena = with a single arrows; jahaara = tore; nairR^itasya saaratheH shiraH = the head of Ravana's charioteer; jvalita kuN^Dlam = which was adorned with blazing ear-rings.
The glorious and mighty Lakshmana, with a single arrow, tore the head of Ravana's charioteer, which was adorned with blazing ear-rings.
तस्य बाणैश् च चिच्छेद धनुर्गजकरोपमम् |
लक्ष्मणो राक्षसेन्द्रस्य पञ्चभिर्निशितैः शरैः || ६-१००-१६
16. tadaa = then; paN^chabhiH = with five; nishitaiH = sharp; baaNaiH = arrows; lakShmaNaH = Lakshmana; chichchheda = chopped off; raakShasendrasya dhanuH = Ravana's bow; gajakaropamam = looking like an elephant's trunk.
With five sharp arrows, Lakshmana then chopped off Ravana's bow, which looked like an elephant's trunk.
नीलमेघनिभांश्चास्य सदश्वान्पर्वतोपमान् |
जघानाप्लुत्य गदया रावणस्य विभीषणः || ६-१००-१७
17. aaplytya = bouncing forward; vibhiiShaNaH = Vibhishana; jaghaana = killed; gadayaa = with his mace; asya raavaNasya sadashvaan = the excellent horses of this Ravana; niilamegha nibhaan = which looked like black clouds; parvatopamaan = and were tall as mountains.
Bouncing forward, Vibhishana killed, with his mace, the excellent horses of Ravana, which looked like black clouds and were tall as mountains.
हताश्वाद्वेगवान्वेगादवप्लुत्य महारथात् |
क्रोधमाहारयत्तीव्रं भ्रातरं प्रति रावणः || ६-१००-१८
18. avaplutya = leaping down; vegaat = with speed; mahaarathaat = from his large chariot; hataashvaat = whose horses had been killed; raavaNaH = Ravana; taaa = then; aahaarayat = exhibited; tiivram = a violent; kopam = anger; bhraataram prati = towards the younger brother (of Rama).
Leaping down with speed from his large chariot, whose horses had been killed, Ravana then exhibited a violent anger towards the younger brother of Rama.
ततः शक्तिं महाशक्तिर्दीप्तान् दीप्ताशनीम् इव |
विभीषणाय चिक्षेप राक्षसेन्द्रः प्रतापवान् || ६-१००-१९
19. tataH = then; raakShasendraH = Ravana; mahaashaktiH = of great energy; prataapavaan = and prowess; chikShepa = hurled; shaktim = a spear; pradiiptaam ashaniimiva = which was like a blazing thunderbolt; vibhiiShaNasya = on Vibhishana.
Then, Ravana, of great energy and prowess, hurled a spear looking like a blazing thunderbolt, on Vibhishana.
अप्राप्तामेव तां बाणैस्त्रिभिश्चिच्छेद लक्ष्मणः |
अथोदतिष्ठत्संनादो वानराणान् तदा रणे || ६-१००-२०
20. apraaptaameva = even before(the spear) reached Vibhishana; chichchheda = tore; taam = it; tribhiH baaNaiH = with three of his arrows; atha = thereupon; vaanaraaNaam samnaadaH = a loud cheer of the monkeys; udatiShThat = arose; mahaaraNi = in that great battle.
Even before the spear reached Vibhishana, Lakshmana tore it with three of his arrows and a loud cheer then arose from the monkeys in the battle-field.
संपपात त्रिधा छिन्ना शक्तिः काञ्चनमालिनी |
सविस्फुलिङ्गा ज्वलिता महोल्केव दिवश्च्युता || ६-१००-२१
21. shaktiH = that spear; kaaNchana maalinii = crowned with gold; chhinnaa = torn; tridhaa = into three pieces; sampapaata = fell; maholkeva = like a large meteor; savishphuliN^gaa = with sparks of fire; chyutaa = fallen; divaH = from the sky.
That gold-crowned spear, torn into three pieces, fell like a large meteor with sparks of fire falling from the sky.
ततः सम्भाविततरान् कालेनापि दुरासदाम् |
जग्राह विपुलान् शक्तिन् दीप्यमानां स्वतेजसा || ६-१००-२२
22. tataH = thereupon; (Ravana) jagraaha = took hold; vipulaam shaktim = of another large spear; sambhaavitataraam = which was the most competent one; duraasadaam = which was difficult to be approached; kaalenaapi = even by Yama; diipyamaanaam = and blazing; svatejasaa = with its own splendour.
Thereupon, Ravana took hold of another large most competent spear, which was difficult to be approached even by Yama the lord of Death and blazing as it was, with its own splendour.
सा वेगिना बलवता रावणेन दुरात्मना |
जज्वाल सुमहाघोरा शक्राशनिसमप्रभा || ६-१००-२३
23. saa = that spear; sumahaatejaaH = with very great splendour; jajvaala = and burning; diiptaashani samaprabhaa = with a radiance equal to a blazing thunderbolt; vegitaa = was hurled swiftly; balavataa = by the mighty; duraatmanaa = and the evil-minded; raavaNena = Ravana.
The mighty and the evil-minded Ravana swiftly hurled that very great spear, burning with a radiance similar to that of a blazing thunder-bolt.
एतस्मिन्नन्तरे वीरो लक्ष्मणस्तन् विभीषणम् |
प्राणसंशयमापन्नन् तूर्णमेवाभ्यपद्यत || ६-१००-२४
24. etasmin antare = In the meanwhile; viiraH = the valiant; lakShmaNaH = Lakshmana; tuurNam = quickly; abhyavapadyata = hastened = towards; tam vibhiiShaNam = that Vibhishana; aapannam = who got; praaNa samshayam = a danger to his life.
In the meanwhile, the valiant Lakshmana quickly rushed towards that Vibhishana, who got a danger to his life.
तं विमोक्षयितुं वीरश्चापमायम्य लक्ष्मणः |
रावणन् शक्तिहस्तन् तं शरवर्षैरवाकिरत् || ६-१००-२५
25. vimochayitum = to rescue; tam = that Vibhishana; viiraH = the heroic; lakShmaNaH = Lakshmana; aayamya = having stretched; chaapam = his bow; avaakirat = threw out; sharavarShaiH = streams of arrows; raavaNam = on Ravana; shaktihastam = having the spear in his hand.
To rescue that Vibhishana, the heroic Lakshmana, having stretched his bow, threw out streams of arrows on Ravana who was holding a spear in his hand.
कीर्यमाणः शरौघेण विसृष्ट्तेन महात्मना |
न प्रहर्तुं मनश्चक्रे विमुखीकृतविक्रमः || ६-१००-२६
26. kiiryamaaNaH = poured in; sharaugheNa = with a multitude of arrows; visR^iShTena = discharged; mahaatmanaa = by the great-souled Lakshmana; (Ravana); vimukhiikR^itavikramaH = with his attack frustrated; na chakre manaH = did not make up his mind; prahartum = to attack Vibhishana (further).
Poured in with a multitude of arrows discharged by the great-souled Lakshmana, Ravana with his attach frustrated, did not make up his mind to attack Vibhishana further.
मोक्षितं भ्रातरन् दृष्ट्वा लक्ष्मणेन स रावणः |
लक्ष्मणाभिमुखस्तिष्ठन्निदन् वचनमब्रवीत् || ६-१००-२७
27. dR^iShTvaa = seeing; bhraataram = his brother; mokShitam = rescued; lakShmaNena = by Lakshmana; saH raavaNaH = that Ravana; abraviit = spoke; idam vachanam = the following words; tiShThan = standing; lakShmaNa abhimukhaH = for his part; facing Lakshmana.
Seeing Vibhishana his brother rescued by Lakshmana, that Ravana, turning his face towards Lakshmana spoke the following words:
मोक्षितस्ते बलश्लाघिन्यस्मादेवन् विभीषणः |
विमुच्य राक्षसन् शक्तिस्त्वयीयं विनिपात्यते || ६-१००-२८
28. balashlaaghin = O Lakshmana; exalter your own strength!; yasmaat = as; vibhiiShaNaH = Vibhishana; mokShitaH = was rescued; te = by you; evam = in this way; iyam shaktiH = this spear; vimchya = leaving; raakShasam = the demon; vinipaatyate = is being hurled; tvayi = on you.
"O Lakshmana, exalter of your own strength! As Vibhishana was rescued by you in this way, this spear, on letting off Vibhishana the demon, is being hurled on you now."
एषा ते हृदयं भित्त्वा शक्तिर्लोहितलक्षणा |
मद्बाहुपरिघोत्सृष्टा प्राणानादाय यास्यति || ६-१००-२९
29. eShaa shaktiH = this spear; lohita lakShaNaa = having blood-marks; madbaahu parighotsR^iShTaa = and hurled by my steel rod-like arm; bhitvaa = piercing; hR^idayam = your heart; yaasyati = will depart; aadaaya = (only after) taking; praaNaan = your life.
"This spear, having blood-marks and hurled by bludgeon-like arm, having pierced your heart, will depart only after taking your life."
इत्येवमुक्त्वा तान् शक्तिमष्टघण्टां महास्वनाम् |
मयेन मायाविहिताममोघान् शत्रुघातिनीम् || ६-१००-३०
लक्ष्मणाय समुद्दिश्य ज्वलन्तीमिव तेजसा |
रावणः परमक्रुद्धश्चिक्षेप च ननाद च || ६-१००-३१
30; 31. parama kruddhaH = the greatly enraged; raavaNaH = Ravana; ityevam uktvaa = thus speaking; chikShepa = hurled; samuddishya = towards; lakShmaNaaya = Lakshmana; taam shaktim = that spear; aShTa ghaNTaam = with eight bells; mahaasvanaam = making huge sounds; maayaavihitaam = designed with a conjuring trick; mayena = by maya; amoghaam = unfailing; shatru vighaatiniim = which destroys adversaries; jvalantiimiva = and as with a blazing; tejasaa = splendour; nanaada cha = (He) also roared.
Thus saying, the greatly enraged Ravana roared and hurled towards Lakshmana, that unfailing spear, which was adorned with eight loudly clamouring bells, which had been designed by Maya the demon by dint of his conjuring trick, capable of destroying adversaries and blazing as it was with splendour.
सा क्षिप्ता भीमवेगेन शक्राशनिसमस्वना |
शक्तिरभ्यपतद्वेगाल्लक्ष्मणन् रणमूर्धनि || ६-१००-३२
32. saa shaktiH = that spear; vajraashani samasvanaa = with a sound equal to Indra's thunder-bolt; kShiptaa = hurled; bhiima vegena = by Ravana having terrible swiftness; abhyapatat = soon fell; vegaat = with speed; lakShmaNam- on Lakshmana; raNamuurdhani = into the battle-front.
That spear, with a sound equal to Indra's thunder-bolt, hurled by the terribly swift Ravana, soon fell with speed on Lakshmana in the battle-front.
तामनुव्याहरच्छक्तिमापतन्तीन् स राघवः |
स्वस्त्यस्तु लक्ष्मणायेति मोघा भव हतोद्यमा || ६-१००-३३
33. saH raaghavaH = that Rama; anuvyaaharat = repeatedly uttered; taam shaktim = to that spear; aapatantiim = which was rushing forth; iti = as follows: svasti astu = may it be well; lakShmaNaaya = with Lakshmana! bhava = become; moghaa = vain; hatodyamaa = may your effort be frustrated!
Rama repeatedly uttered to that spear even as it was rushing forth (on Lakshmana) as follows: "May it be well with Lakshmana! May you prove useless! May your effort be frustrated!"
तावणेन रणे शक्तिः क्रुद्धेनाशीविषोपमा |
मुक्ताशूरस्यभीतस्य लक्ष्मणस्य ममज्ज सा || ६-१००-३४
34. saa shaktiH aashiiviShopamaa = that spear; looking like a venomous serpant; muktaa = released; kruddhena = by the enraged; raavaNena = Ravana; raNe = in the battle; aashu = quickly; mamajja = penetrated; urasi = the chest; abhiitasya lakShmaNasya = of the fearless Lakshmana.
That spear, which was looking like a venomous serpent, released by the enraged Ravana in the battle, quickly penetrated the bosom of Lakshmana, who stood fearless.
न्यपतत्सा महावेगा लक्ष्मणस्य महोरसि |
जिह्वेवोरगराजस्य दीप्यमाना महाद्युतिः || ६-१००-३५
35. saa = that spear; uragaraajasya jihveva = like the tongue of Vasuki (the lord of serpents); diipyamaanaa = blazing; mahaadyutiH = with a great dazzle; nyapatat = fell; mahorasi = on the broad chest; lakShmaNasya = of Lakshmana; mahaavegaa = with enormous speed.
That spear, like the tongue of Vasuki (the lord of serpents), blazing with a great dazzle, fell on the broad chest of Lakshmana, with enormous speed.
ततो रावणवेगेन सुदूरमवगाढया |
शक्त्या निर्भिन्नहृदयः पपात भुवि लक्ष्मणः || ६-१००-३६
36. avagaaDhayaa = penetrated; suduuram = very deeply; shaktyaa = by the spear; vibhinna hR^idayaH = and pierced through the heart; raavaNavegena = due to the force exerted by Ravana; lakShmaNaH = Lakshmana; papaata = fell; bhuvi = to the ground; vibhinnahR^idayaH = with his heart broken.
Penetrated very deeply and pierced through his heart by the spear due to the force exerted by Ravana, Lakshmana fell to the ground.
तदवस्थन् समीपस्थो लक्ष्मणं प्रेक्ष्य राघवः |
भ्रातृस्नेहान्महातेजा विषण्णहृदयोअभवत् || ६-१००-३७
37. prekShya = seeing; lakShmaNam = Lakshmana; tadavastham = in that state; raaghavaH = Rama; mahaatejaaH = of extra ordinary splendour; samiipasthaH = who was in the vicinity; abhavat = became; viShaNNahR^dayaH = sorrowful at heart; bhraatR^isnehaat = because of his fraternal love.
Seeing Lakshmana in that state, Rama, of extraordinary splendour, who was stationed in the vicinity, became sorrowful at heart because of the love towards his brother.
स मुहूर्तमनुध्याय बाष्पव्याकुललोचनः |
बभूव सन्रब्धतरो युगान्त इव पावकः || ६-१००-३८
38. saH = Rama; baaShpa paryaakulekShaNaH = whose eyes were filled with tears; dhyaatvaa = reflected; muhuutamiva = just for a while; babhuuva = and was; samrabdhataraH = very much enraged; yugaante paarakaH iva = like fire at the time of dissolution of the world.
Rama, whose eyes were filled with tears, reflected just for a while and then was very much enraged, like fire at the time of dissolution of the world.
न विषादस्य कालोअयमिति सञ्चिन्त्य राघवः |
चक्रे सुतुमुलन् युद्धं रावणस्य वधे धृतः || ६-१००-३९
सर्वयत्नेन महता लक्ष्मणं परिवीक्ष्य च |
39. samchitya = becoming aware; iti = that; ayam = this one; na kaalaH = is not the time; vihhaadasya = for despodency; raaghavaH = Rama; pariviikShya = looking at; lakShmaNam = Lakshmana; dhR^itaH = was determined; vadhe = upon killing; raavaNasya = of Ravana; chakre = and performed; sutumulam = the highly tumultuous; yuddham = battle; mahataa sarvayatnena = with a great and whole-hearted endeavour.
Becoming aware that it was not the time for feeling despondent, and looking at Lakshmana, Rama resumed that highly tumultuous battle with a great and whole-hearted endeavour, determined as he was to destroy Ravana.
स ददर्श ततो रामः शक्त्या भिन्नं महाहवे || ६-१००-४०
लक्ष्मणन् रुधिरादिग्धं सपन्नगमिवाचलम् |
40. tataH = then; saH raamaH = that Rama; dadarsha = saw; lakShmaNam = Lakshmana; bhinnam = who was struck; shaktyaa = by the spear; mahaavahe = in that great war; rudhiraadigdham = bathed as he was in blood; achalam iva = and looking like a mountain; sapannagam = with a snake (entering its centre).
Then, Rama saw Lakshmana, who was struck by the spear in that Great War, bathed as he was in blood and looking like a mountain with a snake (entering its centre).
तामपि प्रहितान् शक्तिं रावणेन बलीयसा || ६-१००-४१
यत्नतस्ते हरिश्रेष्ठा न शेकुरवमर्दितुम् |
अर्दिताश्चैव बाणौघैः क्षिप्रहस्तेन रक्षसा || ६-१००-४२
41; 42. yatnataH api = even though exerting; ava marditum = to pull out; taam = that; shaktim = spear; prahitaam = hurled; baliiyasaa raavaNena = by the mighty Ravana; te harishreShThaaH = those foremost among monkeys; na shekuH = could not do it; arditaaH chaiva = as they were being tormented; pravakeNa rakShasaam = by Ravana the foremost among the demons; baaNaughaiH = with a multitude of his arrows.
Even with an exertion to pull out that spear hurled by the mighty Ravana, those foremost of the monkeys could not those foremost of the monkeys could not do it because they were being tormented by Ravana the foremost of demons with a stream of his arrows.
सौमित्रिन् सा विनिर्भिद्य प्रविष्टा धरणीतलम् |
तान् कराभ्यां परामृश्य रामः शक्तिं भयावहाम् || ६-१००-४३
बभञ्ज समरे क्रुद्धो बलवद्विचकर्ष च |
43. vinirbhidya = penetrating; saumitreH = through Lakshmana's bosom; saa = that spear; praviShTaa = touched; dharaNiitalam = the earth's surface; paraamarshya karaabhyaam = seizing hold with his hands; taam shaktim bhayaarchaam = that awful spear; balavaan = the mighty; raamaH = Rama; vichakarSha = drew it out; kruddhaH = and getting enraged; babhaN^jacha = broke it; samare = during the course of the battle.
Penetrating through Lakshmana's bosom, that spear touched the earth. Seizing hold of awful spear with his hands, the mighty Rama drew it out and getting enraged, broke it during the course of the battle.
तस्य निष्कर्षतः शक्तिन् रावणेन बलीयसा || ६-१००-४४
शराः सर्वेषु गात्रेषु पातिता मर्मभेदिनः |
44. baliiyasaa raavaNena = by the mighty Ravana; paaittaaH = were sunk; sharaaH = arrows; marma bhedinaH = which pierced his vital organs; sarveShu gaatreShu = and all the limbs; tasya = of Rama; niShkarShataH = who was drawing; shaktim = that spear.
While Rama was drawing the spear out; arrow, which pierced his vital organs, were sunk by the mighty Ravana on all his limbs.
अचिन्तयित्वा तान्बाणान्समाश्लिष्या च लक्ष्मणम् || ६-१००-४५
अब्रवीच्च हनूमन्तन् सुग्रीवन् चैव राघवः |
45. achintayitvaa = ignoring; taan = those; baaNaan = arrows; samaashliShya = and having embraced; lakShmaNam = Lakshmana; abraviichcha = (Rama) spoke; hanuumantam = to Hanuma; sugriivamcha = and Sugreeva; mahaakapim = the king of the monkeys (as follows):
Ignoring those arrows and having embraced Lakshmana, Rama spoke to Hanuma and Sugreeva, the king of monkeys, as follows:
लक्ष्मणं परिवार्येह तिष्ठध्वन् वानरोत्तमाः || ६-१००-४६
पराक्रमस्य कालोअयन् सम्प्राप्तो मे चिरेप्सितः |
पापात्मायन् दशग्रीवो वध्यतां पापनिश्चयः || ६-१००-४७
काङ्क्षितः स्तोककस्येव घर्मान्ते मेघदर्शनम् |
46; 47. vaanarottamaaH = O the foremost among the monkeys!; tiShThadhvam = remain; parivaaryeva = just encompassing; lakShmaNam = Lakshmana; ayam paapaatmaayam dashagriivaH = let this malicious Ravana; paapa nishchayaH = having evil designs; vadhyataam = be killed; ayam = this; paraakramasya kaalaH = time to show my prowess; me chirepsitaH = which I have been wishing for long; sampraaptaH = has come; chaatakasya iva = as for a chataka bird; meghadarshanam = the site of a cloud (would come) kaaN^kShitam = as desired by it; gharmaante = at the end of the hot season.
"O the chiefs of monkeys! Remain just encompassing Lakshmana. Let this malicious Ravana of evil designs be killed. The time to manifest my prowess, which I have been wishing for long, has come, as for a chataka bird, the site of a cloud would come, as sought by it, at the end of a hot season."
अस्मिन्मुहूर्ते नचिरात्सत्यं प्रतिशृणोमि वः || ६-१००-४८
अरावणमरामन् वा जगद्द्रक्ष्यथ वानराः |
48. pratishR^iNomi = I take this owe; satyam = in truth; vaH = before you; asmin muhuurte = at this moment; vaanaraaH = O monkeys!; drakShyatha = you will see; nachiraat = without delay; jagat = (either) the world; araavaNam = devoid of Ravana; araamam vaa = or devoid of Rama (myself).
"I take this vow in truth before you, at this moment, O monkeys, that without delay, you will see the world devoid of Ravana or Rama (myself)."
राज्यनाशन् वने वासन् दण्डके परिधावनम् || ६-१००-४९
वैदेह्याश्च परामर्शन् रक्षोभिश्च समागमम् |
49. samaagamam = I encountered; raajyanaasham = with the loss of soverighnity; vane vaasam = the dwelling in the forest; paridhaavanam = the wandering around; daN^Dake = in the forest of Dandaka; paraamarsham = and the insult offered; vaideyehyaaH = to Seetha; rakShobhiH = by the demons.
"I encountered with the loss of sovereignity, the dwelling in the forest, the wandering around in the woods of Dandaka and the rough treatment of Seetha by the demons."
प्राप्तन् दुःखं महद्घोरं क्लेशं च निरयोपमम् || ६-१००-५०
अद्य सर्वमहन् त्यक्ष्ये हत्वा तन् रावणं रणे |
50. mahat = A great; ghoram = and terrible; duHkham = suffering; praaptam = was obtained; kleshashcha = a trouble too; nirayopamaH = tantamounting to hell; adya = now; aham = I; nihatvaa = by killing; raavaNam = Ravana; raNe = in battle; tyakShye = will relieve myself; sarvam = of all that trouble.
"A great and terrible suffering has happened to me and an agony equivalent to hell. Now, by killing Ravana in battle, I will relieve myself of all that agony."
यदर्थन् वानरं सैन्यं समानीतमिदं मया || ६-१००-५१
सुग्रीवश्च कृतो राज्ये निहत्वा वालिनन् रणे |
सोअयमद्य रणे पापश्चक्षुर्विषयमागतः || ६-१००-५२
51; 52. yadartham = for whose sake; idam = this; vaanaram sainyam = army of monkeys; samaaniitam = has been brought; mayaa = by me; raajyekR^ite sugriivaH cha = and Sugreeva has been anointed to his kingdom; nihatvaa = by killing; vaalinam = Vali; yadartham = and for whose sake; saagaraH = the ocean; kraantaH = has been crossed; setuH = and a bridge; baddhaH = built; saH ayam paapaH = that sinful demon; chakShurviShayam aagataH = has come within the range of my sight; raNe = in the battle-field; adya = now.
"That sinful demon, for whose sake, this army of monkeys has been brought by me, Sugreeva has been anointed on the throne after killing Vali and for whose sake the ocean has been crossed and a bridge built on it, has come within the range of my sight in the battle-field now."
चक्षुर्विषयमागम्य नायन् जीवितुमर्हति || ६-१००-५३
दृष्टिन् दृष्टिविषस्येव सर्पस्य मम रावणः |
यथा वा वैनतेयस्य दृष्टिं प्राप्तो भुजंगमः || ६-१००-५४
53; 54. ayam raavaNaH = this Ravana; aagatya = having come; mama chakShurviShayam = within the range of my vision; naarhati jiivitam = cannot survive; dR^iShTim iva = any more than the one who has come within the range of vision; sarpasya = of snake; dR^iShTiviShasya = injecting deadly poison with its very glance; bhujangamaH = or than a serpent; dR^iShTim praaptam = who has come within the range of vision; vainateyasya = of Garuda; the King of birds and the enemy of serpents.
"This Ravana, having come within the range of my vision, cannot survive, any more than the one who has come within the range of vision of a snake injecting deadly poison with its very glance or than a serpent who has come within the range of vision of Garuda, the king of birds and the enemy of serpents."
स्वस्थाः पश्यत दुर्धर्षा युद्धन् वानरपुङ्गवाः |
आसीनाः पर्वताग्रेषु ममेदन् रावणस्य च || ६-१००-५५
55. vaanara pungavaaH durdharShaaH = O the foremost among the monkeys; who are so difficult to conquer!; aasiinaaH = seated; parvataagreShu = on the mountain-peaks; pashyata = you witness; svasthaaH = at ease; idam = this; yuddham = battle; mama = between myself; raavaNasya cha = and Ravana.
"O the foremost of the monkeys who are so difficult to conquer! Seated on the mountain-peaks, you witness at ease, this battle between myself and Ravana."
अद्य रामस्य रामत्वं पश्यन्तु मम सन्युगे |
त्रयो लोकाः सगन्धर्वाः सदेवाः सर्षिचारणाः || ६-१००-५६
56. trayaH lokaaH = Let the three worlds; sagandharvaaH = including Gandharvas the celestial musicians; sadevaaH = gods; sarShiH = the sages; chaaraNaaH = the celestial bards; pashyantu = see; adya = today; raamatvam = the Ramahood; raamasya = of Rama; mama samyuge = during the course of my battle.
"Let the three worlds (viz. the earth, heaven and the intermediate region) including Gandharvas the celestial musicians, the gods, the sages and the celestial bards see today the Ramahood of Rama during the course of my battle."
अद्य कर्म करिष्यामि यल्लोकाः सचराचराः |
सदेवाः कथयिष्यन्ति यावद्भूमिर्धरिष्यति || ६-१००-५७
समागम्य सदा लोके यथा युद्धं प्रवर्तितम् |
57. kariShyaami = I shall perform; adya = today; karma = a feat; yat = which; lokaaH = people; loke = in the world; sacharaacharaaH = including all living beings; both mobile and immobile; sadevaaH = as also gods; sadaa kathayiShyanti = will ever narrate; samaagamya = together; yathaa = describing how; yuddham = the battle; pravartitam = proceeded; yaavat = as long as; bhuumiH = the earth; dhariShyati = is able to support; yat = those who (occupy it).
"I shall perform today a feat, which people in the world including all living beings both mobile and immobile, as also gods, will ever narrate together, describing how the battle proceeded, as long as the earth is able to support those who occupy it."
एवमुक्त्वा शितैर्बाणैस्तप्तकाञ्चनभूषणैः |
आजघान दशग्रीवन् रणे रामः समाहितः || ६-१००-५८
58. evam = thus; uktvaa = speaking; raamaH = Rama; samaahitaH = with an attentive mind; raNe = in the battle-field; aajaghaana = struck; dashagriivam = Rama; shitaiH baaNaiH = with sharp arrows; tapta kaaN^chana bhuuShaNaiH = decked with pure gold.
Thus speaking, Rama with an attentive mind in the battle-field, struck Rama with sharp arrows, decked in pure gold.
अथ प्रदीप्तैर्नाराचैर्मुसलैश्चापि रावणः || ६-१००-५९
अभ्यवर्षत्तदा रामन् धाराभिरिव तोयदः |
59. atha = thereupon; raavaNaH = Ravana; abhyavarShat = streamed forth; pradiiptaiH = blazing; naaraachaiH = steel arrows; musalaishchapi = and clubs; tadaa = then; toyadaH iva = as cloud; (would shower) dhaaraabhiH = the rains.
Thereupon, Ravana streamed forth blazing steel arrows and then clubs, as clouds would stream forth the rains.
रामरावणमुक्तानामन्योन्यमभिनिघ्नताम् || ६-१००-६०
शराणान् च शराणां च बभूव तुमुलः स्वनः |
60. tumulaH = A tumultuous; svanaH = sound; babhuuva = arose; varaaNaamcha sharaanaam cha = from the excellent arrows; raama raavaNa muktaanaam = released by Rama and Ravana; abhinighnataam = as they struck; anyonyam = each other.
A tumultuous sound arose from the excellent arrows, released by Rama and Ravana, as they struck each other.
ते भिन्नाश्च विकीर्णाश्च रामरावणयोः शराः || ६-१००-६१
अन्तरिक्षात्प्रदीप्ताग्रा निपेतुर्धरणीतले |
61. sharaaH = the arrows; raama raavaNayoH = of Rama and Ravana; vibhinnaashcha = split asunder; vikiirNaashcha = and seattered off; pradiiptaagraaH = with their blazing points; nipetuH = fell; dharaNiitale = on to the floor; antarikShaat = from the space.
The arrows of Rama and Ravana, split asunder and scattered off, with their blazing points, fell from the space on to the surface of the earth.
तयोर्ज्यातलनिर्घोषो रामरावणयोर्महान् || ६-१००-६२
त्रासनः सर्वबूतानान् स बभूवाद्भुतोपमः |
62. mahaan = the loud; nirghoShaH = sound; jyaatala = produced by the impact of the bow string on the palms; tayoH raama raavaNayoH = of those heroes; Rama and Ravana; traasanaH = which struck terror; sarva bhuutaanaam = in all the living beings; adbhuta darshanaH = was fell astonished by the audience.
The loud sound, produced by the impact of the bow-string on the palms of those two heroes Rama and Ravana, which struck terror in all the living beings, was felt astonished by the audience.
विकीर्यमाणः शरजालवृष्टिभिर् |
र्महात्मना दीप्तधनुष्मतार्दितः |
भयात्प्रदुद्राव समेत्य रावणो |
यथानिलेनाभिहतो बलाहकः || ६-१००-६३
63. vikiiryamaaNaH = torn asunder; sharajaala vR^iShTibhiH = by the streams of a multitude of arrows; mahaatmanaH = by the great souled Rama; diiptadhanuShmataa = who was armed with a blazing bow; sametya = while coming in collusion with him; raavaNaH = Ravana; pradudraava = ran away; bhayaat = out of fear; valaahakaH yathaa = like a cloud (dispersing); abhihataH = when pushed; anilena = by a tempest.
Torn asunder by the streams of a multitude of arrows by the great-souled Rama, who was armed with a blazing bow, while coming in collusion with him, Ravana took to his heels out of fear, like a cloud when pushed by a tempest.
- - - -
इत्यार्षे श्रीमद्रामायणे आदिकाव्ये युद्धकाण्डे शततमः सर्गः
|Top of Page||1||2||3||4|
© April 2009, K. M. K. Murthy