Rama and Ravana confront each other with various arrows and missiles. Meanwhile, Lakshmana joins the fight and chops off Ravana's bow with his arrows. Vibhishana also fights and kills Ravana's horses. Lakshmana rescues Vibhishana, when a spear is hurled on him by Ravana. Then, Ravana throws a spear on Lakshmana. As it penetrates Lakshmana's bossom, Lakshmana falls down unconscious. Rama hurls hails of arrows on Ravana from his flaming bow. Ravana takes to his heels out of fear.
tasminpratihateastre tu raavaNo raakShasaadhipaH |
krodhan cha dviguNaM chakre krodhaachchaastramanantaram || 6-100-1
1. tasmin astram = when that missile; pratihate = was struck down; raavaNaH = Ravana; raakShasaadhipaH = the king of demons; chakre krodham divguNam = (for his part) doubled his fury; krodhaat cha = and in his anger; astram = (employed another) missile; anantaram = immediately.
When that missile was made defunct, Ravana the king of demons, for his part, doubled his fury and in his anger, began to employ another missile immediately.
mayena vihitan raudramanyadastraM mahaadyutiH |
utsraShTun raavaNo ghoraM raaghavaaya prachakrame || 6-100-2
2. raavaNaH = Ravana; mahaadyutiH = who was endowed with extra ordinary splendour; prachakrame = started; utsR^iShTum = to release; anyat = another; astram = missile; raudram = which was cruel; bhiimam = and terrific; vihitam = built; mayena = by Maya; the demon; raaghavaaya = on Rama.
Ravana, who was endowed with extraordinary splendour, started to release another cruel and terrific missile built by Maya the demon, on Rama.
tataH shUlaani nishcherurgadaashcha musalaani cha |
kaarmukaaddiipyamaanaani vajrasaaraaNi sarvashaH || 6-100-3
3. tataH = then; kaarmukaat = from that bow; nishcheruH = came forth; diipyamaanaani = blazing; shuulaam = pikes; gadaashcha = maces; musalaani = and clubs; vajrasaaraaNi = which were hard as adamant; sarvashaH = on all sides.
Then, from that bow, came forth, blazing pikes, maces and clubs, which were hard as adamant, on all sides.
mudgaraH kuuTapaashaashcha diiptaashchaashanayastathaa |
niShpeturvividhaastiikShNaa vaataa iva yugakShaye || 6-100-4
4. vividhaaH = various kinds; tiikShaNaaH mudgaraaH = of furious mallets; kuuTapaashaashcha = deceptive nooses; tathaa = and; diiptaaH = blazing; ashanayashcha = thunderbolts; niShpetuH = came forth; vaataaH iva = like piercing gales; yugakShaye = at the time of the destruction of the world.
Various kinds of furious mallets, deceptive nooses and blazing thunderbolts came forth, like piercing gales at the time of the destruction of the world.
tadastran raaghavaH shriimaanuttamaastravidaaM varaH |
jaghaana paramaastreNa gandharveNa mahaadyutiH || 6-100-5
5. raaghavaH = Rama; shriimaan = the glorious; varaH uttamaastra vidaam = the foremost among the knower of excellent missiles; mahaadyutiH = who was endowed with extraordinary splendour; jaghaana = struck down; tat = that; astram = missile; paramaastreNa = with an excellent missiles; gaandharveNa = presided over by Gandharavas the celestials musicians.
The glorious Rama, the foremost among the knower in the use of excellent missiles and who was endowed with extra ordinary splendour, struck down that missile with an excellent missile presided over by Gandharvas the celestial musicians.
tasminpratihateastre tu raaghaveNa mahaatmanaa |
raavaNaH krodhataamraakShaH sauramastramudiirayat || 6-100-6
6. tasmin astre = when that missile; pratihate = was struck down; mahaatmanaa raaghaveNa = by the great souled Rama; raavanaH = Ravana; krodha taamraakShaH = with his coppery eyes in anger; udairayat = employed; sauram astram = a missile presided over by the sun-god.
When that missile was made defunct by the great souled Rama, Ravana with his coppery eyes in anger, employed a missile presided over by the sun-god.
tatashchakraaNi niShpeturbhaasvaraaNi mahaanti cha |
kaarmukaadbhiimavegasya dashagriivasya dhiimataH || 6-100-7
7. tataH = then; niShpetuH = came forth; bhaasvaraaNi = resplendent; mahaanti = and large; chakraaNi = discuses; kaarmukaat = from the bow; dhiimataH dashagriivashcha = of the intelligent Ravana; bhiimavegasya = of terrific impetuosity.
Then came forth resplendent and large discuses, from the bow of that intelligent Ravana, of terrific impetuosity.
tairaasiidgaganan diiptan sampatadbhiritastataH |
patadbhishcha disho diiptaishchandrasuuryagrahairiva || 6-100-8
8. sampatadbhiH = even as they came forth; patadbhishcha = and falling; samantataH = on all sides; taiH = by them; gaganam = the sky; aasiit = diiptam = was blazing; dishashcha = and the quarters (illuminated); chandra suurya grahairiva = as by the moon; the sun and other planets.
Even as they came forth and falling on all sides, the sky was blazing and the quarters illuminated, as by the moon, the sun and other planets.
taani chichchheda baaNaughaishchakraaNi tu sa raaghavaH |
aayudhaani vichitraaNi raavaNasya chamuumukhe || 6-100-9
9. chamunmukhe = in the forefront; raavanasya = of Ravana's army; saH raaghavaH = that Rama; chichchheda = split; taani = those; chakraaNi = discuses; aayudhaani cha chitraaNi = and (other) strange weapons; baaNaughe = with a multitude of arrows.
In the forefront of Ravana's army, that Rama split those discuses and other strange weapons, with a multitude of arrows.
tadastran tu hataM dR^iShTvaa raavaNo raakShasaadhipaH |
vivyaadha dashabhirbaaNai raaman sarveShu marmasu || 6-100-10
10. dR^iShTvaa = seeing; tat = that; astram = missile; hatam = struck down; raavaNaH = Ravana; raakShasa adhipaH = the king of demons; vivyaadha = hit; raamam = Rama; sarveShu marmasu = in all his vital organs; dashabhiH baaNaiH = with ten arrows.
Seeing that missile struck down, Ravana the king of demons, for his part, pierced Rama with ten arrows in all his vital parts.
sa viddho dashabhirbaaNairmahaakaarmukaniHsR^itaiH |
raavaNena mahaatejaa na praakampata raaghavaH || 6-100-11
11. viddhaH = (eventhough) struck; dashabhiH baaNaiH = by ten arrows; mahaakaarmukaniHsR^itaiH = released from the great bow; raavaNena = by Ravana; saH raaghavaH = that Rama; mahaatejaaH = of extraordinary energy; na praakampata = was not shaken.
Eventhough that Ravana struck Rama with those ten arrows released from his great bow, Rama of extraordinary energy was not shaken.
tato vivyaadha gaatreShu sarveShu samiti~njayaH |
raaghavastu susa~Nkruddho raavaNaM bahubhiH sharaiH || 6-100-12
12. tataH = then; raaghavastu = Rama; samitimjayaH = the victorious in battle; susamkruddhaH = was quite enraged; vivyaadha = and struck; raavaNam = Ravana; sarveShu gaatreShu = in all his organs; babhubhiH saraiH = with a multitude of arrows.
Then, Rama the victorious in battle, was quite enraged and struck Ravana in all his organs with a multitude of arrows.
etasminnantare kruddho raaghavasyaanujo balii |
lakShmaNaH saayakaansapta jagraaha paraviirahaa || 6-100-13
13. etasmin antare = in the meantime; kruddhaH = the enraged lakShmaNaH = Lakshmana; raaghvasya anujaH = Rama's younger brother; bahii = whom as strong; paraviirahaa = and the destroyer of valiant enemies; jagraaha = seized hold; sapta saayakaan = of seven arrows.
In the meantime, the mighty and enraged Lakshmana, Rama's younger brother, the destroyer of valiant enemies, seized hold of seven arrows.
taiH saayakairmahaavegai raavaNasya mahaadyutiH |
dhvajaM manuShyashiirShan tu tasya chichchheda naikadhaa || 6-100-14
14. mahaadyutiH = Lakshmana of great brilliance; taiH saayakaiH = with those arrows; mahaavegaiH = of high velocity; chichchheda = tore off; naikadhaa = into many pieces; dhvajam = the flag-staff tasya raavaNasya = of that Ravana; manuShya shiirSham = which bore the emblem of a man's head.
Lakshmana of great brilliance, with those arrows of high velocity, tore off into many pieces, the flag-staff of Ravana, which bore the emblem of a man's head.
saaratheshchaapi baaNena shiro jvalitakuNDalam |
jahaara lakShmaNaH shriimaannairR^itasya mahaabalaH || 6-100-15
15. shriimaan = the glorious; mahaabalaH = and mighty; lakShmaNaH = Lakshmana; baaNena = with a single arrows; jahaara = tore; nairR^itasya saaratheH shiraH = the head of Ravana's charioteer; jvalita kuN^Dlam = which was adorned with blazing ear-rings.
The glorious and mighty Lakshmana, with a single arrow, tore the head of Ravana's charioteer, which was adorned with blazing ear-rings.
tasya baaNaish cha chichchheda dhanurgajakaropamam |
lakShmaNo raakShasendrasya pa~nchabhirnishitaiH sharaiH || 6-100-16
16. tadaa = then; paN^chabhiH = with five; nishitaiH = sharp; baaNaiH = arrows; lakShmaNaH = Lakshmana; chichchheda = chopped off; raakShasendrasya dhanuH = Ravana's bow; gajakaropamam = looking like an elephant's trunk.
With five sharp arrows, Lakshmana then chopped off Ravana's bow, which looked like an elephant's trunk.
niilameghanibhaaMshchaasya sadashvaanparvatopamaan |
jaghaanaaplutya gadayaa raavaNasya vibhiiShaNaH || 6-100-17
17. aaplytya = bouncing forward; vibhiiShaNaH = Vibhishana; jaghaana = killed; gadayaa = with his mace; asya raavaNasya sadashvaan = the excellent horses of this Ravana; niilamegha nibhaan = which looked like black clouds; parvatopamaan = and were tall as mountains.
Bouncing forward, Vibhishana killed, with his mace, the excellent horses of Ravana, which looked like black clouds and were tall as mountains.
hataashvaadvegavaanvegaadavaplutya mahaarathaat |
krodhamaahaarayattiivraM bhraataraM prati raavaNaH || 6-100-18
18. avaplutya = leaping down; vegaat = with speed; mahaarathaat = from his large chariot; hataashvaat = whose horses had been killed; raavaNaH = Ravana; taaa = then; aahaarayat = exhibited; tiivram = a violent; kopam = anger; bhraataram prati = towards the younger brother (of Rama).
Leaping down with speed from his large chariot, whose horses had been killed, Ravana then exhibited a violent anger towards the younger brother of Rama.
tataH shaktiM mahaashaktirdiiptaan diiptaashaniim iva |
vibhiiShaNaaya chikShepa raakShasendraH prataapavaan || 6-100-19
19. tataH = then; raakShasendraH = Ravana; mahaashaktiH = of great energy; prataapavaan = and prowess; chikShepa = hurled; shaktim = a spear; pradiiptaam ashaniimiva = which was like a blazing thunderbolt; vibhiiShaNasya = on Vibhishana.
Then, Ravana, of great energy and prowess, hurled a spear looking like a blazing thunderbolt, on Vibhishana.
apraaptaameva taaM baaNaistribhishchichchheda lakShmaNaH |
athodatiShThatsaMnaado vaanaraaNaan tadaa raNe || 6-100-20
20. apraaptaameva = even before(the spear) reached Vibhishana; chichchheda = tore; taam = it; tribhiH baaNaiH = with three of his arrows; atha = thereupon; vaanaraaNaam samnaadaH = a loud cheer of the monkeys; udatiShThat = arose; mahaaraNi = in that great battle.
Even before the spear reached Vibhishana, Lakshmana tore it with three of his arrows and a loud cheer then arose from the monkeys in the battle-field.
saMpapaata tridhaa chhinnaa shaktiH kaa~nchanamaalinii |
savisphuli~Ngaa jvalitaa maholkeva divashchyutaa || 6-100-21
21. shaktiH = that spear; kaaNchana maalinii = crowned with gold; chhinnaa = torn; tridhaa = into three pieces; sampapaata = fell; maholkeva = like a large meteor; savishphuliN^gaa = with sparks of fire; chyutaa = fallen; divaH = from the sky.
That gold-crowned spear, torn into three pieces, fell like a large meteor with sparks of fire falling from the sky.
tataH sambhaavitataraan kaalenaapi duraasadaam |
jagraaha vipulaan shaktin diipyamaanaaM svatejasaa || 6-100-22
22. tataH = thereupon; (Ravana) jagraaha = took hold; vipulaam shaktim = of another large spear; sambhaavitataraam = which was the most competent one; duraasadaam = which was difficult to be approached; kaalenaapi = even by Yama; diipyamaanaam = and blazing; svatejasaa = with its own splendour.
Thereupon, Ravana took hold of another large most competent spear, which was difficult to be approached even by Yama the lord of Death and blazing as it was, with its own splendour.
saa veginaa balavataa raavaNena duraatmanaa |
jajvaala sumahaaghoraa shakraashanisamaprabhaa || 6-100-23
23. saa = that spear; sumahaatejaaH = with very great splendour; jajvaala = and burning; diiptaashani samaprabhaa = with a radiance equal to a blazing thunderbolt; vegitaa = was hurled swiftly; balavataa = by the mighty; duraatmanaa = and the evil-minded; raavaNena = Ravana.
The mighty and the evil-minded Ravana swiftly hurled that very great spear, burning with a radiance similar to that of a blazing thunder-bolt.
etasminnantare viiro lakShmaNastan vibhiiShaNam |
praaNasaMshayamaapannan tuurNamevaabhyapadyata || 6-100-24
24. etasmin antare = In the meanwhile; viiraH = the valiant; lakShmaNaH = Lakshmana; tuurNam = quickly; abhyavapadyata = hastened = towards; tam vibhiiShaNam = that Vibhishana; aapannam = who got; praaNa samshayam = a danger to his life.
In the meanwhile, the valiant Lakshmana quickly rushed towards that Vibhishana, who got a danger to his life.
taM vimokShayituM viirashchaapamaayamya lakShmaNaH |
raavaNan shaktihastan taM sharavarShairavaakirat || 6-100-25
25. vimochayitum = to rescue; tam = that Vibhishana; viiraH = the heroic; lakShmaNaH = Lakshmana; aayamya = having stretched; chaapam = his bow; avaakirat = threw out; sharavarShaiH = streams of arrows; raavaNam = on Ravana; shaktihastam = having the spear in his hand.
To rescue that Vibhishana, the heroic Lakshmana, having stretched his bow, threw out streams of arrows on Ravana who was holding a spear in his hand.
kiiryamaaNaH sharaugheNa visR^iShTtena mahaatmanaa |
na prahartuM manashchakre vimukhiikR^itavikramaH || 6-100-26
26. kiiryamaaNaH = poured in; sharaugheNa = with a multitude of arrows; visR^iShTena = discharged; mahaatmanaa = by the great-souled Lakshmana; (Ravana); vimukhiikR^itavikramaH = with his attack frustrated; na chakre manaH = did not make up his mind; prahartum = to attack Vibhishana (further).
Poured in with a multitude of arrows discharged by the great-souled Lakshmana, Ravana with his attach frustrated, did not make up his mind to attack Vibhishana further.
mokShitaM bhraataran dR^iShTvaa lakShmaNena sa raavaNaH |
lakShmaNaabhimukhastiShThannidan vachanamabraviit || 6-100-27
27. dR^iShTvaa = seeing; bhraataram = his brother; mokShitam = rescued; lakShmaNena = by Lakshmana; saH raavaNaH = that Ravana; abraviit = spoke; idam vachanam = the following words; tiShThan = standing; lakShmaNa abhimukhaH = for his part; facing Lakshmana.
Seeing Vibhishana his brother rescued by Lakshmana, that Ravana, turning his face towards Lakshmana spoke the following words:
mokShitaste balashlaaghinyasmaadevan vibhiiShaNaH |
vimuchya raakShasan shaktistvayiiyaM vinipaatyate || 6-100-28
28. balashlaaghin = O Lakshmana; exalter your own strength!; yasmaat = as; vibhiiShaNaH = Vibhishana; mokShitaH = was rescued; te = by you; evam = in this way; iyam shaktiH = this spear; vimchya = leaving; raakShasam = the demon; vinipaatyate = is being hurled; tvayi = on you.
"O Lakshmana, exalter of your own strength! As Vibhishana was rescued by you in this way, this spear, on letting off Vibhishana the demon, is being hurled on you now."
eShaa te hR^idayaM bhittvaa shaktirlohitalakShaNaa |
madbaahuparighotsR^iShTaa praaNaanaadaaya yaasyati || 6-100-29
29. eShaa shaktiH = this spear; lohita lakShaNaa = having blood-marks; madbaahu parighotsR^iShTaa = and hurled by my steel rod-like arm; bhitvaa = piercing; hR^idayam = your heart; yaasyati = will depart; aadaaya = (only after) taking; praaNaan = your life.
"This spear, having blood-marks and hurled by bludgeon-like arm, having pierced your heart, will depart only after taking your life."
ityevamuktvaa taan shaktimaShTaghaNTaaM mahaasvanaam |
mayena maayaavihitaamamoghaan shatrughaatiniim || 6-100-30
lakShmaNaaya samuddishya jvalantiimiva tejasaa |
raavaNaH paramakruddhashchikShepa cha nanaada cha || 6-100-31
30; 31. parama kruddhaH = the greatly enraged; raavaNaH = Ravana; ityevam uktvaa = thus speaking; chikShepa = hurled; samuddishya = towards; lakShmaNaaya = Lakshmana; taam shaktim = that spear; aShTa ghaNTaam = with eight bells; mahaasvanaam = making huge sounds; maayaavihitaam = designed with a conjuring trick; mayena = by maya; amoghaam = unfailing; shatru vighaatiniim = which destroys adversaries; jvalantiimiva = and as with a blazing; tejasaa = splendour; nanaada cha = (He) also roared.
Thus saying, the greatly enraged Ravana roared and hurled towards Lakshmana, that unfailing spear, which was adorned with eight loudly clamouring bells, which had been designed by Maya the demon by dint of his conjuring trick, capable of destroying adversaries and blazing as it was with splendour.
saa kShiptaa bhiimavegena shakraashanisamasvanaa |
shaktirabhyapatadvegaallakShmaNan raNamuurdhani || 6-100-32
32. saa shaktiH = that spear; vajraashani samasvanaa = with a sound equal to Indra's thunder-bolt; kShiptaa = hurled; bhiima vegena = by Ravana having terrible swiftness; abhyapatat = soon fell; vegaat = with speed; lakShmaNam- on Lakshmana; raNamuurdhani = into the battle-front.
That spear, with a sound equal to Indra's thunder-bolt, hurled by the terribly swift Ravana, soon fell with speed on Lakshmana in the battle-front.
taamanuvyaaharachchhaktimaapatantiin sa raaghavaH |
svastyastu lakShmaNaayeti moghaa bhava hatodyamaa || 6-100-33
33. saH raaghavaH = that Rama; anuvyaaharat = repeatedly uttered; taam shaktim = to that spear; aapatantiim = which was rushing forth; iti = as follows: svasti astu = may it be well; lakShmaNaaya = with Lakshmana! bhava = become; moghaa = vain; hatodyamaa = may your effort be frustrated!
Rama repeatedly uttered to that spear even as it was rushing forth (on Lakshmana) as follows: "May it be well with Lakshmana! May you prove useless! May your effort be frustrated!"
taavaNena raNe shaktiH kruddhenaashiiviShopamaa |
muktaashuurasyabhiitasya lakShmaNasya mamajja saa || 6-100-34
34. saa shaktiH aashiiviShopamaa = that spear; looking like a venomous serpant; muktaa = released; kruddhena = by the enraged; raavaNena = Ravana; raNe = in the battle; aashu = quickly; mamajja = penetrated; urasi = the chest; abhiitasya lakShmaNasya = of the fearless Lakshmana.
That spear, which was looking like a venomous serpent, released by the enraged Ravana in the battle, quickly penetrated the bosom of Lakshmana, who stood fearless.
nyapatatsaa mahaavegaa lakShmaNasya mahorasi |
jihvevoragaraajasya diipyamaanaa mahaadyutiH || 6-100-35
35. saa = that spear; uragaraajasya jihveva = like the tongue of Vasuki (the lord of serpents); diipyamaanaa = blazing; mahaadyutiH = with a great dazzle; nyapatat = fell; mahorasi = on the broad chest; lakShmaNasya = of Lakshmana; mahaavegaa = with enormous speed.
That spear, like the tongue of Vasuki (the lord of serpents), blazing with a great dazzle, fell on the broad chest of Lakshmana, with enormous speed.
tato raavaNavegena suduuramavagaaDhayaa |
shaktyaa nirbhinnahR^idayaH papaata bhuvi lakShmaNaH || 6-100-36
36. avagaaDhayaa = penetrated; suduuram = very deeply; shaktyaa = by the spear; vibhinna hR^idayaH = and pierced through the heart; raavaNavegena = due to the force exerted by Ravana; lakShmaNaH = Lakshmana; papaata = fell; bhuvi = to the ground; vibhinnahR^idayaH = with his heart broken.
Penetrated very deeply and pierced through his heart by the spear due to the force exerted by Ravana, Lakshmana fell to the ground.
tadavasthan samiipastho lakShmaNaM prekShya raaghavaH |
bhraatR^isnehaanmahaatejaa viShaNNahR^idayoabhavat || 6-100-37
37. prekShya = seeing; lakShmaNam = Lakshmana; tadavastham = in that state; raaghavaH = Rama; mahaatejaaH = of extra ordinary splendour; samiipasthaH = who was in the vicinity; abhavat = became; viShaNNahR^dayaH = sorrowful at heart; bhraatR^isnehaat = because of his fraternal love.
Seeing Lakshmana in that state, Rama, of extraordinary splendour, who was stationed in the vicinity, became sorrowful at heart because of the love towards his brother.
sa muhuurtamanudhyaaya baaShpavyaakulalochanaH |
babhuuva sanrabdhataro yugaanta iva paavakaH || 6-100-38
38. saH = Rama; baaShpa paryaakulekShaNaH = whose eyes were filled with tears; dhyaatvaa = reflected; muhuutamiva = just for a while; babhuuva = and was; samrabdhataraH = very much enraged; yugaante paarakaH iva = like fire at the time of dissolution of the world.
Rama, whose eyes were filled with tears, reflected just for a while and then was very much enraged, like fire at the time of dissolution of the world.
na viShaadasya kaaloayamiti sa~ncintya raaghavaH |
chakre sutumulan yuddhaM raavaNasya vadhe dhR^itaH || 6-100-39
sarvayatnena mahataa lakShmaNaM pariviikShya cha |
39. samchitya = becoming aware; iti = that; ayam = this one; na kaalaH = is not the time; vihhaadasya = for despodency; raaghavaH = Rama; pariviikShya = looking at; lakShmaNam = Lakshmana; dhR^itaH = was determined; vadhe = upon killing; raavaNasya = of Ravana; chakre = and performed; sutumulam = the highly tumultuous; yuddham = battle; mahataa sarvayatnena = with a great and whole-hearted endeavour.
Becoming aware that it was not the time for feeling despondent, and looking at Lakshmana, Rama resumed that highly tumultuous battle with a great and whole-hearted endeavour, determined as he was to destroy Ravana.
sa dadarsha tato raamaH shaktyaa bhinnaM mahaahave || 6-100-40
lakShmaNan rudhiraadigdhaM sapannagamivaachalam |
40. tataH = then; saH raamaH = that Rama; dadarsha = saw; lakShmaNam = Lakshmana; bhinnam = who was struck; shaktyaa = by the spear; mahaavahe = in that great war; rudhiraadigdham = bathed as he was in blood; achalam iva = and looking like a mountain; sapannagam = with a snake (entering its centre).
Then, Rama saw Lakshmana, who was struck by the spear in that Great War, bathed as he was in blood and looking like a mountain with a snake (entering its centre).
taamapi prahitaan shaktiM raavaNena baliiyasaa || 6-100-41
yatnataste harishreShThaa na shekuravamarditum |
arditaashchaiva baaNaughaiH kShiprahastena rakShasaa || 6-100-42
41; 42. yatnataH api = even though exerting; ava marditum = to pull out; taam = that; shaktim = spear; prahitaam = hurled; baliiyasaa raavaNena = by the mighty Ravana; te harishreShThaaH = those foremost among monkeys; na shekuH = could not do it; arditaaH chaiva = as they were being tormented; pravakeNa rakShasaam = by Ravana the foremost among the demons; baaNaughaiH = with a multitude of his arrows.
Even with an exertion to pull out that spear hurled by the mighty Ravana, those foremost of the monkeys could not those foremost of the monkeys could not do it because they were being tormented by Ravana the foremost of demons with a stream of his arrows.
saumitrin saa vinirbhidya praviShTaa dharaNiitalam |
taan karaabhyaaM paraamR^ishya raamaH shaktiM bhayaavahaam || 6-100-43
babha~nja samare kruddho balavadvichakarSha cha |
43. vinirbhidya = penetrating; saumitreH = through Lakshmana's bosom; saa = that spear; praviShTaa = touched; dharaNiitalam = the earth's surface; paraamarshya karaabhyaam = seizing hold with his hands; taam shaktim bhayaarchaam = that awful spear; balavaan = the mighty; raamaH = Rama; vichakarSha = drew it out; kruddhaH = and getting enraged; babhaN^jacha = broke it; samare = during the course of the battle.
Penetrating through Lakshmana's bosom, that spear touched the earth. Seizing hold of awful spear with his hands, the mighty Rama drew it out and getting enraged, broke it during the course of the battle.
tasya niShkarShataH shaktin raavaNena baliiyasaa || 6-100-44
sharaaH sarveShu gaatreShu paatitaa marmabhedinaH |
44. baliiyasaa raavaNena = by the mighty Ravana; paaittaaH = were sunk; sharaaH = arrows; marma bhedinaH = which pierced his vital organs; sarveShu gaatreShu = and all the limbs; tasya = of Rama; niShkarShataH = who was drawing; shaktim = that spear.
While Rama was drawing the spear out; arrow, which pierced his vital organs, were sunk by the mighty Ravana on all his limbs.
achintayitvaa taanbaaNaansamaashliShyaa cha lakShmaNam || 6-100-45
abraviichcha hanuumantan sugriivan chaiva raaghavaH |
45. achintayitvaa = ignoring; taan = those; baaNaan = arrows; samaashliShya = and having embraced; lakShmaNam = Lakshmana; abraviichcha = (Rama) spoke; hanuumantam = to Hanuma; sugriivamcha = and Sugreeva; mahaakapim = the king of the monkeys (as follows):
Ignoring those arrows and having embraced Lakshmana, Rama spoke to Hanuma and Sugreeva, the king of monkeys, as follows:
lakShmaNaM parivaaryeha tiShThadhvan vaanarottamaaH || 6-100-46
paraakramasya kaaloayan sampraapto me chirepsitaH |
paapaatmaayan dashagriivo vadhyataaM paapanishchayaH || 6-100-47
kaa~NkShitaH stokakasyeva gharmaante meghadarshanam |
46; 47. vaanarottamaaH = O the foremost among the monkeys!; tiShThadhvam = remain; parivaaryeva = just encompassing; lakShmaNam = Lakshmana; ayam paapaatmaayam dashagriivaH = let this malicious Ravana; paapa nishchayaH = having evil designs; vadhyataam = be killed; ayam = this; paraakramasya kaalaH = time to show my prowess; me chirepsitaH = which I have been wishing for long; sampraaptaH = has come; chaatakasya iva = as for a chataka bird; meghadarshanam = the site of a cloud (would come) kaaN^kShitam = as desired by it; gharmaante = at the end of the hot season.
"O the chiefs of monkeys! Remain just encompassing Lakshmana. Let this malicious Ravana of evil designs be killed. The time to manifest my prowess, which I have been wishing for long, has come, as for a chataka bird, the site of a cloud would come, as sought by it, at the end of a hot season."
asminmuhuurte nachiraatsatyaM pratishR^iNomi vaH || 6-100-48
araavaNamaraaman vaa jagaddrakShyatha vaanaraaH |
48. pratishR^iNomi = I take this owe; satyam = in truth; vaH = before you; asmin muhuurte = at this moment; vaanaraaH = O monkeys!; drakShyatha = you will see; nachiraat = without delay; jagat = (either) the world; araavaNam = devoid of Ravana; araamam vaa = or devoid of Rama (myself).
"I take this vow in truth before you, at this moment, O monkeys, that without delay, you will see the world devoid of Ravana or Rama (myself)."
raajyanaashan vane vaasan daNDake paridhaavanam || 6-100-49
vaidehyaashcha paraamarshan rakShobhishcha samaagamam |
49. samaagamam = I encountered; raajyanaasham = with the loss of soverighnity; vane vaasam = the dwelling in the forest; paridhaavanam = the wandering around; daN^Dake = in the forest of Dandaka; paraamarsham = and the insult offered; vaideyehyaaH = to Seetha; rakShobhiH = by the demons.
"I encountered with the loss of sovereignity, the dwelling in the forest, the wandering around in the woods of Dandaka and the rough treatment of Seetha by the demons."
praaptan duHkhaM mahadghoraM kleshaM cha nirayopamam || 6-100-50
adya sarvamahan tyakShye hatvaa tan raavaNaM raNe |
50. mahat = A great; ghoram = and terrible; duHkham = suffering; praaptam = was obtained; kleshashcha = a trouble too; nirayopamaH = tantamounting to hell; adya = now; aham = I; nihatvaa = by killing; raavaNam = Ravana; raNe = in battle; tyakShye = will relieve myself; sarvam = of all that trouble.
"A great and terrible suffering has happened to me and an agony equivalent to hell. Now, by killing Ravana in battle, I will relieve myself of all that agony."
yadarthan vaanaraM sainyaM samaaniitamidaM mayaa || 6-100-51
sugriivashcha kR^ito raajye nihatvaa vaalinan raNe |
soayamadya raNe paapashchakShurviShayamaagataH || 6-100-52
51; 52. yadartham = for whose sake; idam = this; vaanaram sainyam = army of monkeys; samaaniitam = has been brought; mayaa = by me; raajyekR^ite sugriivaH cha = and Sugreeva has been anointed to his kingdom; nihatvaa = by killing; vaalinam = Vali; yadartham = and for whose sake; saagaraH = the ocean; kraantaH = has been crossed; setuH = and a bridge; baddhaH = built; saH ayam paapaH = that sinful demon; chakShurviShayam aagataH = has come within the range of my sight; raNe = in the battle-field; adya = now.
"That sinful demon, for whose sake, this army of monkeys has been brought by me, Sugreeva has been anointed on the throne after killing Vali and for whose sake the ocean has been crossed and a bridge built on it, has come within the range of my sight in the battle-field now."
chakShurviShayamaagamya naayan jiivitumarhati || 6-100-53
dR^iShTin dR^iShTiviShasyeva sarpasya mama raavaNaH |
yathaa vaa vainateyasya dR^iShTiM praapto bhujaMgamaH || 6-100-54
53; 54. ayam raavaNaH = this Ravana; aagatya = having come; mama chakShurviShayam = within the range of my vision; naarhati jiivitam = cannot survive; dR^iShTim iva = any more than the one who has come within the range of vision; sarpasya = of snake; dR^iShTiviShasya = injecting deadly poison with its very glance; bhujangamaH = or than a serpent; dR^iShTim praaptam = who has come within the range of vision; vainateyasya = of Garuda; the King of birds and the enemy of serpents.
"This Ravana, having come within the range of my vision, cannot survive, any more than the one who has come within the range of vision of a snake injecting deadly poison with its very glance or than a serpent who has come within the range of vision of Garuda, the king of birds and the enemy of serpents."
svasthaaH pashyata durdharShaa yuddhan vaanarapu~NgavaaH |
aasiinaaH parvataagreShu mamedan raavaNasya cha || 6-100-55
55. vaanara pungavaaH durdharShaaH = O the foremost among the monkeys; who are so difficult to conquer!; aasiinaaH = seated; parvataagreShu = on the mountain-peaks; pashyata = you witness; svasthaaH = at ease; idam = this; yuddham = battle; mama = between myself; raavaNasya cha = and Ravana.
"O the foremost of the monkeys who are so difficult to conquer! Seated on the mountain-peaks, you witness at ease, this battle between myself and Ravana."
adya raamasya raamatvaM pashyantu mama sanyuge |
trayo lokaaH sagandharvaaH sadevaaH sarShichaaraNaaH || 6-100-56
56. trayaH lokaaH = Let the three worlds; sagandharvaaH = including Gandharvas the celestial musicians; sadevaaH = gods; sarShiH = the sages; chaaraNaaH = the celestial bards; pashyantu = see; adya = today; raamatvam = the Ramahood; raamasya = of Rama; mama samyuge = during the course of my battle.
"Let the three worlds (viz. the earth, heaven and the intermediate region) including Gandharvas the celestial musicians, the gods, the sages and the celestial bards see today the Ramahood of Rama during the course of my battle."
adya karma kariShyaami yallokaaH sacharaacharaaH |
sadevaaH kathayiShyanti yaavadbhuumirdhariShyati || 6-100-57
samaagamya sadaa loke yathaa yuddhaM pravartitam |
57. kariShyaami = I shall perform; adya = today; karma = a feat; yat = which; lokaaH = people; loke = in the world; sacharaacharaaH = including all living beings; both mobile and immobile; sadevaaH = as also gods; sadaa kathayiShyanti = will ever narrate; samaagamya = together; yathaa = describing how; yuddham = the battle; pravartitam = proceeded; yaavat = as long as; bhuumiH = the earth; dhariShyati = is able to support; yat = those who (occupy it).
"I shall perform today a feat, which people in the world including all living beings both mobile and immobile, as also gods, will ever narrate together, describing how the battle proceeded, as long as the earth is able to support those who occupy it."
evamuktvaa shitairbaaNaistaptakaa~nchanabhuuShaNaiH |
aajaghaana dashagriivan raNe raamaH samaahitaH || 6-100-58
58. evam = thus; uktvaa = speaking; raamaH = Rama; samaahitaH = with an attentive mind; raNe = in the battle-field; aajaghaana = struck; dashagriivam = Rama; shitaiH baaNaiH = with sharp arrows; tapta kaaN^chana bhuuShaNaiH = decked with pure gold.
Thus speaking, Rama with an attentive mind in the battle-field, struck Rama with sharp arrows, decked in pure gold.
atha pradiiptairnaaraachairmusalaishchaapi raavaNaH || 6-100-59
abhyavarShattadaa raaman dhaaraabhiriva toyadaH |
59. atha = thereupon; raavaNaH = Ravana; abhyavarShat = streamed forth; pradiiptaiH = blazing; naaraachaiH = steel arrows; musalaishchapi = and clubs; tadaa = then; toyadaH iva = as cloud; (would shower) dhaaraabhiH = the rains.
Thereupon, Ravana streamed forth blazing steel arrows and then clubs, as clouds would stream forth the rains.
raamaraavaNamuktaanaamanyonyamabhinighnataam || 6-100-60
sharaaNaan cha sharaaNaaM cha babhuuva tumulaH svanaH |
60. tumulaH = A tumultuous; svanaH = sound; babhuuva = arose; varaaNaamcha sharaanaam cha = from the excellent arrows; raama raavaNa muktaanaam = released by Rama and Ravana; abhinighnataam = as they struck; anyonyam = each other.
A tumultuous sound arose from the excellent arrows, released by Rama and Ravana, as they struck each other.
te bhinnaashcha vikiirNaashcha raamaraavaNayoH sharaaH || 6-100-61
antarikShaatpradiiptaagraa nipeturdharaNiitale |
61. sharaaH = the arrows; raama raavaNayoH = of Rama and Ravana; vibhinnaashcha = split asunder; vikiirNaashcha = and seattered off; pradiiptaagraaH = with their blazing points; nipetuH = fell; dharaNiitale = on to the floor; antarikShaat = from the space.
The arrows of Rama and Ravana, split asunder and scattered off, with their blazing points, fell from the space on to the surface of the earth.
tayorjyaatalanirghoSho raamaraavaNayormahaan || 6-100-62
traasanaH sarvabuutaanaan sa babhuuvaadbhutopamaH |
62. mahaan = the loud; nirghoShaH = sound; jyaatala = produced by the impact of the bow string on the palms; tayoH raama raavaNayoH = of those heroes; Rama and Ravana; traasanaH = which struck terror; sarva bhuutaanaam = in all the living beings; adbhuta darshanaH = was fell astonished by the audience.
The loud sound, produced by the impact of the bow-string on the palms of those two heroes Rama and Ravana, which struck terror in all the living beings, was felt astonished by the audience.
vikiiryamaaNaH sharajaalavR^iShTibhir |
rmahaatmanaa diiptadhanuShmataarditaH |
bhayaatpradudraava sametya raavaNo |
yathaanilenaabhihato balaahakaH || 6-100-63
63. vikiiryamaaNaH = torn asunder; sharajaala vR^iShTibhiH = by the streams of a multitude of arrows; mahaatmanaH = by the great souled Rama; diiptadhanuShmataa = who was armed with a blazing bow; sametya = while coming in collusion with him; raavaNaH = Ravana; pradudraava = ran away; bhayaat = out of fear; valaahakaH yathaa = like a cloud (dispersing); abhihataH = when pushed; anilena = by a tempest.
Torn asunder by the streams of a multitude of arrows by the great-souled Rama, who was armed with a blazing bow, while coming in collusion with him, Ravana took to his heels out of fear, like a cloud when pushed by a tempest.
- - - -
ityaarShe shriimadraamaayaNe aadikaavye yuddhakaaNDe shatatamaH sargaH
|Top of Page||1||2||3||4|
© April 2009, K. M. K. Murthy