Vibhishana, the half-brother of Ravana, lists out bad omens occurring in the city and in the gynaeceum and advises Ravana to restore Seetha to Rama as an atonement t these evil forces. Ravana turns a deaf ear to Vibhishana's counsel and sends him away.
ततः प्रत्युषसि प्राप्ते प्राप्तधर्मार्थनिश्चयः |
राक्षसाधिपतेर्वेश्म भीमकर्मा विभीषणः || ६-१०-१
1. tataH = thereafter; vibhiiSaNaH = Vibhishana; praapta dharmaartha nishcayaH = who arrived at a settlement about virtue; pleasure and wealth; bhiimakarmaa = and who was terrible in his act; praapte = on arrival of; pratyuSasi = the dawn; veshma = (entered) the palace; raakSasaadhipateH = of Ravana.
Vibhishana, who always arrived at a settlement in matters of virtue, pleasure and wealth and who was terrible in his act, on arrival of the dawn, entered the palace of Ravana.
शैलाग्रचयसम्काशम् शैलशृज्~गमिवोन्नतम् |
सुविभक्तमहाकक्षम् महाजनपरिग्रहम् || ६-१०-२
2. shailaagracayasankaasham = looking like a multitude of mountain-tops; unnatam = elevated; shaila shR^ingamiva = like a mountain-peak; suvibhakta mahaakakSam = well-divided into large apartments mahaajana parigraham = occupied by eminent men.
Ravana's palace was looking like a mass of rocks, elevated like a mountain-peak, well-divided into spacious apartments and occupied by eminent men.
राक्षसैराप्तपर्याप्तैह् सर्वतः परिरक्षितम् || ६-१०-३
3. adhiSThitam = It was inhabited; mahaamatraiH = by prime ministers; matimadbhiH = who were intelligent; anuraktaiH = and beloved; parirakSitam = It was guarded; sarvataH = on all sides; raakSasaiH = by demons; aapta paryaaptaiH = who were trust-worthy and efficient.
It was inhabited by prime ministers, who were intelligent and beloved. It was guarded on all sides by demons, who were trust worthy and efficient.
शज्~खघोषमहाघोषम् तूर्यसम्बाधनादितम् || ६-१०-४
4. matta maatamga niHshvaasaiH = by the sighing breaths of elephants in rut; vyaakuliikR^ita maarutam = the air was filled; shaNkha ghoSa mahaaghoSam = with a tumultuous noise produced by the sounds of couches; tuurya sambaadha naaditaam = made to resound; by a set of musical instruments.
The air was filled with the sighing breaths of elephants in rut, with tumultuous noise produced by the blowing of conches and made to resound by an ensemble of musical instruments.
प्रमदाजनसम्बाधम् प्रजल्पितमहापथम् |
तप्तकाञ्चननिर्यूहम् भूषणोत्तमभूषितम् || ६-१०-५
5 pramadaajana sambaadhaam = filled with women-folk; prajalpita mahaapatham = with principal pasaages having spoken words; taptakaaNcana niryuuham = with turrets made of pure gold; bhuuSaNottama bhuuSitam = adorned with excellent decorations.
The palace was filled with a number of women-folk. It was having principal passages in which spoken words were heard. It was having turrets made of pure gold and adorned with excellent decors.
गन्धर्वाणामिवावासमालयम् मरुतामिव |
रत्नसंचयसम्बाधम् भवनम् भोगिनामिव || ६-१०-६
6 aavaasam iva = It was like an abode; gandharvaaNaam = of Gandharvas; aalayam iva = like a palace marutaam = of Marus; ratna samhaya sambaadhaam = filled with a collection of jewels; bhavanam iva = resembling a house; bhoginaam = of serpents.
The palace was like an abode of Gandharvas (celestial musicians) and of Maruts (strom-gods) filled with a collection of jewels resembling a house of Nagas (serpent-gods).
तम् महाभ्रमिवादित्य स्तेजोविस्तृतरश्मिमान् |
अग्रजस्यालयम् वीरः प्रविवेश महाद्युतिः || ६-१०-७
7. viiraH = the valiant Vbhishana; mahaadyutiH = with great splendour; pravivesha = entered; tam aalayam = that mansion; agrajasya = of his elder brother; Ravana; mahaabhramiva = like a large cloud; aadityaH = by Sun; tejovistR^ita rashmimaan = with rays outstretched with splendour.
The valiant Vibhishana with great splendour entered that mansion of his elder brother, Ravana, like the sun with rays outstretched with splendour entering a big cloud.
पुण्यान् पुण्याहघोषांश्च वेदिविद्भिरुदाहृतान् |
शुश्राव सुमहातेजा भ्रातुर्विजयसंश्रितान् || ६-१०-८
8. sumahaatejaaH = Vibhishana; with very great radiance; shushraava ca = heard; puNyaan = the auspicious; puNyaaha ghoSaan = sounds of felicitous recital of prayers; udaahR^itaam = uttered; vedavidbhiH = by the knowers of Veda; vijaya samshritaan = relating to victory; bhraatuH = of his brother.
Vibhishana with great radiance, heard the auspicious sounds of felicitous recital of prayers uttered by the knowers of Vedas (scriptural texts), wishing for the victory of his brother.
पूजितान् दधिपात्रैश्च सर्पिर्भिः सुमनोक्षतैः |
मन्त्रवेदविदो विप्रान् ददर्श स महाबलः || ६-१०-९
9. saH = he; mahaabalaH = with great strength; dadarsha = saw; vipraan = Brahmins; mantra veda vidaH = who knew Mantras (sacred texts) and Brahmanas; puujitaan = respected and offered with; dadhipaatraishca = pots filled with curd; sarpirbhiH = with clarified butter; sumanokSataiH = with flowers and unbroken grains of rice.
Vibhishana of great strength, saw Brahmins who know Mantras (sacred texts) and Brahmanas, respected and offered with pots filled of curd, clarified butter as well as with flowers and unbroken rice.
स पूज्यमानो रक्षोभिद्दीप्यमानम् स्वतेजसा |
असवस्थम् महाबाहुर्ववन्दे धनदानुजम् || ६-१०-१०
10. mahaabaahuH = the mighty armed; saH = Vibhishana; puujyamaanaH = being adored; rakSobhiH = by demons; diipyamaanam = and shining; svategasaa = by his own splendour; vavande = offered salutation; dhanadaanuham = to Ravana the younger brother Kubera (Lord of riches); aasanastham = who was on the throne.
The mighty armed Vibhishana, being adored by the deomons and shining by his own splendour, offered salutation to Ravana the younger brother of Kubera (the lord of riches), who occupied the throne.
स राजदृष्टिसम्पन्नमासनम् हेमभूषितम् |
जगाम समुदाचारम् प्रयुज्याचारकोविदः || ६-१०-११
11. prayujya = employing; samudaacaaram = customary formalities; saH = Vibhishana; aachara kovidaH = who knew the code of conduct; jagaama = obtained; aasanam = a seat; hemabhuuSitam = adorned with gold; raaja dR^iSTi sampannam = endowed to him by a glance of the king.
Practicing customary formalities, Vibhishana who knew the code of conduct, obtained a seat adorned with gold, as endowed to him by a glance of the king.
स रावणम् महात्मानम् विजने मन्त्रिसम्निधौ |
उवाच हितमत्यर्थम् वचनम् हेतुनिश्चितम् || ६-१०-१२
12. mantra samnidhau = in the presence of ministers; vijane = and in privation; saH = Vibhishana; uvaacha = spoke; raavaNam = to Ravana; mahaatmaanam = the powerful; vachanam = the words; hetunishcitam = convinced of reason; atyartham = and very much; hitam = beneficial.
In the presence of ministers and in privation, Vibhishana spoke to powerful Ravana the words convinced of reason and which were very much beneficial.
प्रसाद्य भ्रातरम् ज्येष्ठम् सान्त्वेनोपस्थितक्रमः |
देशकालार्थसम्वादि दृष्टलोकपरावः || ६-१०-१३
13. dR^iSTa lokaparaaparaH = Vibhishana; who could behold good and evil things in the world; prasaadya = having sought the favour; jyeSTham bhraataram = from his elder (half-) brother; saantvenaa = by means of soothing words; upasthita kramaH = arranged in order; deshakaalartha samvaadi = spoke in consonance with place; time and purpose.
Vibhishana, who could discriminate between good and evil things in the world, having sought the favour from his eldest (half-) brother by means of soothing words arranged in an order, spoke in consonance with place, time and purpose.
यदा प्रभृति वैदेही सम्प्राप्तेह परतप |
तदा प्रभृति दृश्यन्ते निमित्तान्यशुभानि नः || ६-१०-१४
14. paramtapa = O; annihilator of enemies; yadaa prabhR^iti = since when; vaidehii = Seetha; sampraaptaa = came; iha = here; tadaa prabhR^iti = since then; ashubhaani = inauspicious; nimittaani = omnes; dR^ishyante = are being seen; naH = by us.
"O, annihilator of enemies! We are seeing inauspicious omens, since Seetha arrived here."
सस्फुलिज्~गः सधूमार्चिह् सधूमकलुषोदयः |
मन्त्रसम्घहुतोऽप्यग्निर्न सम्यगभिवर्धते || ६-१०-१५
15. mantra samghahutaH api = even if the sacrificial fire is fed with oblations while uttering a set of proper Mantras (scared texts); agniH = the fire; naabhivardhate = is not flaring up; samyak = well; sasphuliN^gaH = with rising sparks; sadhuumaarahiH = with flames containing smoke; sadhuumakaluSodayaH = cming forth polluted with soot.
"Even if the sacrificial fire is fed with oblations while uttering a proper set of Mantras (Spiritual texts), the fire is not flaring up well, emitting sparks, its flames are enveloped in smoke and are coming forth, polluted with soot."
अग्निष्ठेष्वग्निशालासु तथा ब्रह्मस्थलीषु च |
परीपृपाणि दृश्यन्ते हव्येषु च पिपीलिकाः || ६-१०-१६
16. sariisR^ipaaNi = serpents; dR^ishyanti = are seen; agniSTheSu = at the corner of the sacrificial post which is nearest the fires; agnishaalaasu = in houses keeping sacrificial fire; tathaa = and; brahma sthaliiSu ca = in places where sacred studies are made; pipiilikaaH = ants (are seen); havyeSu = in things to be offered as oblations.
"Serpents are seen at the corner of the sacrificial post which is nearest the fire, also in houses keeping sacrificial fire and in places where sacred studies are made. Ants are seen in things to be offered as oblations."
गवाम् पयांसि स्कन्नानि विमदा वरकुञ्जराः |
दीनमश्वाः प्रहेषन्ते न च ग्रासाभिनन्दिनः || ६-१०-१७
17. payaamsi = milk; gavaam = of cows; skannaani = is getting curdled; varakuNjaraaH = excellent elephants; vimadaaH = are bereft of rut; ashraaH = horses; praheSante = are neighing; diinam = miserably; na ca = and not; graasaabhinanditaH = rejoicing at grass.
"Cow's milk is getting curdled. Excellent elephants are bereft of rut. Horses are neighing miserably and are not rejoiced in eating grass."
खरोष्ट्राश्वतरा राजन्भिन्न्रोमाः स्रवन्ति च |
न स्वभावेऽवतिष्ठन्ते विधानैरपि चिन्तताः || ६-१०-१८
18. raajan = O; king; kharoSTraashvataraaH = donkeys; camels and mules; sravantica = shed tears; bhinna romaaH = losing their hair; chintitaaH.api = and even if treated vidhaanaiH = as per medical procedures; na avatiSThante = do not stand; svabhaave = to their nature.
"O, king! Donkeys, camels and mules shed tears, losing their hair and even if treated asper medical procedures are not getting cured."
वायसाः सघशः क्रूरा व्याहरन्ति समन्ततः |
समवेताश्च दृश्यन्ते विमानाग्रेषु सम्घशः || ६-१०-१९
19.kruuraaH vaayasaaH = crows; samghashaH = in flocks; vyaaharanti = are crying; kruuraaH = crudly; samastataH = from all sides; dR^shyante = are being seen; samghashaH = in crowds; samavetaaH = assembled together; vimanaagreSu = on house-tops.
"Crows in flocks are crying cruelly from all sides and are seen in crowds assembled together on house-tops."
गृध्राश्च परिलीयन्ते पुरीमुपरि पिण्डिताः |
उपपन्नाश्च संध्ये द्वे व्याहरन्त्यशिवम् शिवाः || ६-१०-२०
20. gR^idhraashca = vultures; pariliiyante = fly to and from paripiNDitaaH = in circles; puriimupari = over the city; shivaaH = jackals; vyaaharanti = are crying; ashivam = inauspiciously; upasannaaH = at the approach; dve sandhye = of both dawn and dusk.
"Vultures fly to and fro in circles over the city. Jackals are crying inauspiciously at the approach of both dawn and the dusk."
क्रव्यादानाम् मृगाणाम् च पुरीद्वारेषु सज्~घशः |
श्रूयन्ते विपुला घोषाः सविस्फूर्जितनिःस्वनाः || ६-१०-२१
21. puriidvaareSu = at city-gates; shruuyante = are heard; vipulaaH = loud; ghoSaaH = cries; kravyaadaanaam = of carnivorons; mR^igaaNaam = animals; saNghashaH = gathered in groups; savisphuurjita niHsvanaaH = with thundering noise.
"At city-gates are heard loud cries of carnivorous animals gathered in groups, with thundering noise."
तदेवम् प्रस्तुते कार्ते प्रायश्चित्तमिदम् क्षमम् |
रोचये वीर वैदेही राघवाय प्रदीयताम् || ६-१०-२२
22. viira = O; brave man; tat = hence; kaarye = (when) the actions of evil forces; prastute = are happening; evam = in this way; idam = this; praayashcittam = atonement; kSama = is appropriate; rocaye = I like it; vaidehi = (that) Seetha; pradiiyataam = be given away; raaghavaaya = to Rama.
"O, brave man! Hence, when the actions of evil forces are happening in this way, this atonement is appropriate that Seetha be given away to Rama and I like it."
इदम् च यदि वामोहाल्लोभाद्वा व्याहृतम् मया |
तत्राप् च महाराज न दोषम् कर्तुमर्हसि || ६-१०-२३
23. mahaaraja = O; emperor; mayaa vyahR^itam yadi = if I am speaking; idam = this; mohaadvaa = because of infatuation; lobhaadvaa = or greed; tatraapi = in that case also; naarhasi = you ought not; kartum = to find; doSam = fault (with me).
"O, emperor! If I am speaking this because of infatuation or greed, in that case also, you ought not to find fault with me."
अयम् हि दोषः सर्वस्य जनस्याप्योपलक्ष्यते |
रक्षसाम् राक्षसीनाम् च पुरस्यान्तः पुरस्य च || ६-१०-२४
24. ayam = these; doSaH = bad omens; upalakSyate hi = are being seeing indeed; rakSasaam = by demons; raakSasiinaamca = by lady-demons; purasya = of the city; antaHpuraasya = and of the gynaeceum; sarvasya = and all; asya = these; janasya = people.
"These bad omens are being seen indeed by demons and lady-demons of the city and of the gynaeceum as well as all these people here."
प्रापणे चास्य मन्त्रस्य निवृत्ताः सर्वमन्त्रिणः |
अवश्यम् च मया वाच्यम् यद्दृष्टमथवा श्रुतम् || ६-१०-२५
सम्विधाय यथान्यायम् तद्भवान् कर्तुमर्हति |
25. sarva mantriNaH = all the ministers; nivR^ittaaH = have abstained; praapaNe = to pass; asya = this; mantrasya = counsel; yat = whatever; dR^iSTam = is seen; athavaa = or; shrutam = heard (it); vaacyam = is to be told; avashyam = surely; mayaa = by me; tat = hence; bhavaan = you; arhati = ought; kartum = to do; yathaanyaayam = according to fitness of things; samvidhaaya = for the occasion.
"All your ministers have abstained to pass this counsel to you. Whatever is seen or heard, it is to be told certainly by me. Hence, you ought to do according to a justification of things for the occasion."
इति स्वमन्त्रिणाम् मध्ये भ्राता भ्रातरमूचिवान् || ६-१०-२६
रावणम् रक्षसाम् श्रेष्ठम् पथ्यमेतद्विभीषणः |
26. vibhishaNaH = Vibhishana; bhraataa = (the half-)brother; uucivaan = spoke; iti = these; pathyam = beneficial; etat = words; raavaNam = to Ravana; rakSasaam shreSTham = the best among demons; svamantriNaam = in the midst of ministers; bhraataram = of his (half-) brother
Vibhishana, the half- bother spoke these beneficial words to Ravana, the best among demons in the midst of his half-brother's ministers.
हितम् महार्थम् मऋदु हेतुसम्हितम् |
निशम्य तद्वाक्यमुपस्थितज्वरः |
प्रसज्~गवानुत्तरमेत दब्रवीत् || ६-१०-२७
27. prasaNgavaan = Ravana; who had evil inclination; nishamya = heard; tat = those; vaakyam = words; hitam = which were beneficial; mahaartam = very well-meaning; mR^idu = soft; hetusamhitam = conformable to reason; vyatiitakaalaayati sampratikSamam = and suitable for the past future and the present times; upasthitajvaraH = got enraged; abraviit = uttered; etat = this; uttaram = reply.
Ravana, who had evil inclination, heard those words, which were beneficial very well-meant, soft, conformable to reason and suitable for the past future and present times, got enraged and uttered this reply.
भयम् न पश्यामि कुतश्चिदप्यहम् |
न राघवः प्राप्स्यति जातु मैथिलीम् |
सुरैः सहेन्द्रैरपि सम्गरे कथम् |
ममाग्रतः स्थास्यति लक्ष्मणाग्रजः || ६-१०-२८
28. na pashyaami = I do not see; bhayam = fear; bhayam = fear; kutashchidapi = from whom so ever; raamaH = Rama; napraapsyati = cannot obtain; maithiliim = Seetha; jaatu = by any means; katham = how; lakshmaNaagrajaH = Rama; sthaasyati = can stand; agrataH = before me; sangare = in battle; shendraiH = even along with Indra; surairapi = together with celestials also?
"I do not see any fear from whom so ever. Rama cannot obtain Seetha by any means. How Rama even along with Indra and the celestials can stand before me in battle?"
इत्येवमुक्र्वा सुरसैन्यनाशनो |
महाबलः सम्यति चण्डविक्रमः |
दशाननो भ्रातरमाप्तवादिनम् |
विसर्जयामास तदा विभीषणम् || ६-१०-२९
29. dasgaababaH = Ravana; surasainya raashanaH = who annihilates the army of celestials; mahaabalaH = (and) very powerful; chaNDavikramaH = with an impetuous valour; ityevam = thus; uktvaa = spoke; tadaa = then; visarjayaamaasa = sent away; vibhiiSaNam = Vibhishana; aaptavaadinam = who spoke honestly.
Ravana, who annihilated the army of celestials and who was very powerful with an impetuous valour, thus spoke and then sent away Vibhishana, who had spoken honestly.
- - - -
इत्यार्षे श्रीमद्रामायणे आदिकाव्ये युद्धकाण्डे दशमः सर्गः
|Top of Page||1||2||3||4|
© June 2003, K. M. K. Murthy