Hanuma informs Rama how Seetha expressed her grave doubt as to how monkeys and bears can leap across a vast sea, as well as her appeal to Rama to destroy Ravana along with his entire army in Lanka and take her back to Ayodhya. Hanuma further informs Rama, how he resolved her doubt by explaining the prowess of the troops of monkeys and bears, commanded by Sugreeva as also how he brought solace and peace to her from her worries.
अथ अहम् उत्तरम् देव्या पुनः उक्तः ससम्भ्रमम् |
तव स्नेहान् नर व्याघ्र सौहार्यात् अनुमान्य च || ५-६८-१
1. naravyaaghra = O the excellent among men!; atha = thereafter; anumaanya = having shown respect for me; tava snehaat = out of affection; sauhaardraat = and good-heartedness; tava = for you; aham = I; sasambhramam = who was in a haste (to go); uktaH = was spoken to; punaH = again; devyaa = by Seetha the princess; uttaram = about the future.
"O excellent among men! Having shown respect for me out of her affection and good-heartedness for you, I, who was in a haste to go, was spoken to again by Seetha the princess about the further course of action."
एवम् बहु विधम् वाच्यो रामो दाशरथिः त्वया |
यथा माम् आप्नुयात् शीघ्रम् हत्वा रावणम् आहवे || ५-६८-२
2. raamaH = Rama; daasharathiH = the son of Dasaratha; vaachyaH = is to be informed; evam = thus; tvayaa = by you; bahuvidham = in several ways; shiighram hatvaa = for quickly killing; raavaNam = Ravana; aahave = in battle; yathaa tathaa = and as to how; maam aapnuyaat = he can get me back.
"Rama, the son of Dasaratha, is to be informed by you thus in several ways, for quickly killing Ravana in battle and also as to how he can get me back."
यदि वा मन्यसे वीर वस एका अहम् अरिम् दम |
कस्मिंश्चित् सम्वृते देशे विश्रान्तः श्वो गमिष्यसि || ५-६८-३
3. viira = O hero; arimdama = the annihilator of enemies!; manyase yadi = if you deem it fit; vasa = stay; ekaaham = for a day; samvR^ite deshe = in a secret place; gamiSyasi = you can go; shvaH = tomorrow; vishraantaH = after taking rest.
" 'O hero the annihilator of enemies! If you deem it fit, stay for a day in a secret place. You can go tomorrow after taking rest'."
मम च अपि अल्प भाग्यायाः साम्निध्यात् तव वानर |
अस्य शोक विपाकस्य मुहूर्तम् स्यात् विमोक्षणम् || ५-६८-४
4. viiryavan = O the valiant one! tava saamnidhyaat = because of your presence; asya mama shoka vipaakasya vimokSaNam = the termination of my full-flown grief; syaat = may proceed; muhuurtam = for a while.
"'O the valiant one! Because of your presence, the termination of my full-blown grief may continue for a while'."
गते हि त्वयि विक्रान्ते पुनः आगमनाय वै |
प्राणानाम् अपि संदेहो मम स्यान् न अत्र संशयः || ५-६८-५
5. tvayi = (when) you; vikraante = the courageous one; gate = go; punaraagamanaaya = for coming back; syaat = there is; sandehaH = an uncertainity; mama praaNaamapi = even to my life; na sandehaH = there is no doubt; atra = about this.
"'When you, the courageous one, have actually left to come back, there will be a danger even to my life. There is no doubt about this'."
तव अदर्शनजः शोको भूयो माम् परितापयेत् |
दुह्खात् दुह्ख पराभूताम् दुर्गताम् दुह्ख भागिनीम् || ५-६८-६
6. paraabhuutaam = being overcome; duHkhaat = from one sorrow; duHkham = after another sorrow; durgataam = being miserable; duHkha bhaaginiim = being overcome with grief; shokaH = sorrow; adarshanajaH = born of your disappearance; paritaapayet = will torment me; bhuuyaH = further.
"'The sorrow born of your disappearance will further torment me, who is overtaken by one sorrow after another, miserable and doomed to grief as I am'."
अयम् तु वीर संदेहः तिष्ठति इव मम अग्रतः |
सुमहान् त्वत् सहायेषु हरि ऋक्षेषु असंशयः || ५-६८-७
7. hariishvara = O best among monkeys; viira = the valiant one! haryR^ikSeSu = in the matter of monkeys and bears; tvatsahayeSu = who are helpmates to you; ayam = this; sumahaan = a very grave; sandeshaH = doubt; tiSThatiiva = stands; agrataH = before me.
"'O best among the monkeys! O valiant one! In the matter of monkeys and bears who are your helpmates, this very grave doubt stands before me'."
कथम् नु खलु दुष्पारम् तरिष्यन्ति महाउदधिम् |
तानि हरि ऋक्ष सैन्यानि तौ वा नर वर आत्मजौ || ५-६८-८
8. kathamnu = how; khalu = indeed; taani = those; haryR^ikSasainyaani = troops of monkeys and bears; tau naravaraatmajau vaa = or those two princes; tariSyanti = can cross; duSpaaram = the insurmountable; mahodadhim = great ocean?
"'How indeed can those troops of monkeys and bears or Rama and Lakshmana can cross that great insurmountable ocean?'"
त्रयाणाम् एव भूतानाम् सागरस्य अस्य लन्घने |
शक्तिः स्यात् वैनतेयस्य वायोः वा तव वा अनघ || ५-६८-९
9. trayaaNaam = only three; bhuutaanaam = beings; vainateyasyavaa = viz. Garuda the eagle; tava vaa = or yourself; maarutasyavaa = or the wind-god; syaat = have; shaktiH = the capacity; laN^ghane = in crossing; asya = of this; saagarasya = ocean.
"'Three beings viz. Garuda the eagle, or yourself or the wind-god only have the capacity of crossing this ocean'."
तत् अस्मिन् कार्य नियोगे वीर एवम् दुरतिक्रमे |
किम् पश्यसि समाधानम् ब्रूहि कार्यविदाम् वर || ५-६८-१०
10. viira = O valiant monkey!; tat = that is why; kim = what; samaadhaanam = strategy; pashyasi = are you visualizing; asmin kaarya niryoga = to fulfill this act; duratikrame = which is so difficult to accomplish; evam = thus?; tvam = you; varaH his = are indeed excellent; kaaryavidaam = of those who know how to accomplish any work.
"'O valiant monkey! That is why, what strategy are you visualizing to fulfill this act, which is so difficult to accomplish thus? You are indeed excellent of those who know how to accomplish any work'."
कामम् अस्य त्वम् एव एकः कार्यस्य परिसाधने ||
पर्याप्तः पर वीरघ्न यशस्यः ते बल उदयः || ५-६८-११
11. para viiraghna = O Hanuma the annihilator of strong enemies!; tvam = you; eka eva = as one alone; paryaaptaH kaamam = are accomplisher of desires; parisaadhane = of fulfilling; asya kaaryasya = this task; te = your; phalodayaH = fulfillment of result; yashasyaH = is famous.
"O Hanuma the annihilator of hostile enemies! You, as one alone, are capable of fulfilling this task. Your act of fulfilling this task your act of fulfilling the result is well-known."
बलैः समग्रैः यदि माम् हत्वा रावणम् आहवे |
विजयी स्वाम् पुरीम् रामो नयेत् तत् स्यात् यशः करम् || ५-६८-१२
12. tat = it; syaat = would; yashaH karam = result in his glory; yadi raamaH = if Rama; hatvaa = after killing; raavaNam = Ravana; samagraiH balaiH = along with his entire army; vijayii = and being victorious; nayet = takes; maam = me; svaam puriim = to his city.
""It would result in his glory, if Rama, after killing Ravana along with his entire army, takes me to his city in his victory'."
यथा अहम् तस्य वीरस्य वनात् उपधिना हृता |
रक्षसा तत् भयात् एव तथा न अर्हति राघवः || ५-६८-१३
13. raaghavaH = Rama; naarhati = ought not; (to take me back); tadbhayaadeva = by fearing that Ravana; yathaa tathaa = in the same manner as; aham = I; hR^itaa = was taken away; vanaat = from the forest; rakSasaa = by Ravana the demon; upadhinaa = by a cheating; viirasya = of the heroic Rama.
"'Rama ought not to take me back for fear that Ravana, in the same manner as Ravana the demon took me away from the forest in the absence of Rama by cheating that heroic Rama."
बलैः तु सम्कुलाम् कृत्वा लन्काम् पर बल अर्दनः |
माम् नयेत् यदि काकुत्स्थः तत् तस्य सदृशम् भवेत् || ५-६८-१४
14. yadi kaakutsthsaH = If Rama; para bala ardanaH = the destroyer of army of adversaries; kR^itvaa = making; laN^kaam = Lanka; samkulaam = filled; sharaiH = with arrows; maam nayet = takes me home; tat = that; sadR^isham bhavet = will be worthy; tasya = of him.
If Rama, the destroyer of rival army, fills the entire Lanka with arrows and takes me home, it will be quite worthy of him."
तत् यथा तस्य विक्रान्तम् अनुरूपम् महात्मनः |
भवति आहव शूरस्य तथा त्वम् उपपादय || ५-६८-१५
15. tat = for that reason; tvam = you; upapaadaya = act; yathaa = in such a way; tathaa = that; mahaatmanaH = the high-souled Rama; aahava shuurasya = valiant in battle; bhavet = may exhibit; vikraantam = the prowess; anurumpam = worthy; tasya = of him.
"For that reason, you act in such a way, that the high-souled Rama, valiant in battle, exhibits the prowess befitting of him."
तत् अर्थ उपहितम् वाक्यम् प्रश्रितम् हेतु सम्हितम् |
निशम्य अहम् ततः शेषम् वाक्यम् उत्तरम् अब्रुवम् || ५-६८-१६
16. nishamya = hearing; tat = that; vaakyam = appeal (of Seetha); arthopahitam = that was somewhat good in fits meaning; prashritam = courteous; hetu samhitam = and furnished with reasons; aham = I; abruvam = spoke; tataH = then; vaakyam = (the following) words; sheSham = remaining; uttaram = as a reply.
"Hearing that appeal (of Seetha), that was somewhat good in its meaning, courteous and duly furnished with reasons, I gave then my remaining reply (as follows):
देवि हरि ऋक्ष सैन्यानाम् ईश्वरः प्लवताम् वरः |
सुग्रीवः सत्त्व सम्पन्नः तव अर्थे कृत निश्चयः || ५-६८-१७
17. devi = O Seetha the princess!; sugriivaH = Sugreeva; iishvaraH = the lord; vaanara bhalluka sainyaanaam = of the armies of monkeys and bears; plavatam varaH = excellent among the monkeys; sattva sampannaH = and endowed with strength; kR^ita nishchayaH = is firmly determined; tva arthe = in your cause.
"'O Seetha the princess! Sugreeva, the lord of the troops of monkeys and bears, excellent among the monkeys and endowed with strength, is firmly determined to rescue you."
तस्य विक्रम सम्पन्नाः सत्त्ववन्तो महाबलाः |
मनः सम्कल्प सम्पाता निदेशे हरयः स्थिताः || ५-६८-१८
येषाम् न उपरि न अधस्तान् न तिर्यक् सज्जते गतिः |
न च कर्मसु सीदन्ति महत्स्व् अमित तेजसः || ५-६८-१९
18; 19. harayaH = the monkeys; vikrama sampannaaH = endowed with prowess sattvavantaH = perseverance; mahaabalaaH = great strength; manaH samkalpa sampaataaH = and who can rush to any place as they wish; sthitaaH = are intensely committed; tasya = to Sugreeva's command; yeSaam = whose; gatiH = movement; upari = on the sky; adhastaat = or on the ground; na sajjate = has no hindrance; na = has no hindrance; tiryak = (even) horizontally; (those monkeys); amita tejasaH = are not indolent; mahatsu karmasu = (to perform) great tasks.
"So many monkeys, endowed with prowess, perseverance great strength and who can rush to any place as they wish, are intensely committed to Sugreeva's command. There is no hindrance to their movement either in the sky or the ground or in a horizontal region between the sky and the ground. Those monkeys with unlimited splendour are not indolent in performing any great task."
असकृत् तैः महाभागैः वानरैः बल सम्युतैः |
प्रदक्षिणी कृता भूमिः वायु मार्ग अनुसारिभिः || ५-६८-२०
20. taiH mahaabhagaiH vaanaraiH = by those illustrious monkeys; bala darpitaiH = proud of their strength; vaayumaargaanusaaribhiH = and who follow the path of wind; bhuumiH = the earth; pradakSiNii kR^itaa = was circumambulated.
"Those illustrious monkeys, proud of their strength and following the path of wind, circumambulated the entire earth several times."
मत् विशिष्टाः च तुल्याः च सन्ति तत्र वन ओकसः |
मत्तः प्रत्यवरः कश्चिन् न अस्ति सुग्रीव सम्निधौ || ५-६८-२१
अहम् तावत् इह प्राप्तः किम् पुनः ते महाबलाः |
न हि प्रकृष्टाः प्रेष्यन्ते प्रेष्यन्ते हि इतरे जनाः || ५-६८-२२
21; 22. tatra = in them; vana okasaH = (some of) the monkeys; madvishiSTaashcha = are superior to me; tulyaashcha = and some even equal to me; santi = are there; kashchit naasti = no one; sugriiva sannidhau = in the vicinity of Sugreeva; pratyavaraH = is inferior; mattaH = to me; aham taavat = I myself; anupraaptaH = has come; iha = here; kim punaH = why to talk; te = about them; mahaabalaaH = who are mighty?; prakR^iSTaaH = the superior ones; na preSyante hi = are not sent (for errands); itare = other; janaaH = persons; preShyante hi = are indeed sent.
"'In them, some of the monkeys are superior to me and some are even equal to me. No one in the vicinity of Sugreeva is inferior to me. When I have arrived here, why to talk about those mighty ones? Generally, superior ones are not sent for errands. Only others are indeed sent'."
तत् अलम् परितापेन देवि मन्युः व्यपैतु ते |
एक उत्पातेन ते लन्काम् एष्यन्ति हरि यूथपाः || ५-६८-२३
23. devi = O Seetha the princess!; tat = that is why; alam = enough; paritaapena = of your lamentation; te shokaH = (Let) your sorrow; vyapaitu = be removed; te = those; hari yuuthapaaH = leaders of monkeys; eSyanti = will reach; laN^kaam = Lanka; eka utpaatena = by one single leap.
"'O Seetha the princess! Enough of your lamentation. Take away your sorrow. Those leaders of monkeys will reach Lanka by one single leap'."
मम पृष्ठ गतौ तौ च चन्द्र सूर्याव् इव उदितौ |
त्वत् सकाशम् महाभागे नृ सिम्हाव् आगमिष्यतः || ५-६८-२४
24. tau nR^isimhau = those two lions among men; Rama and sakaasham too; mahaasattvau = of great strength; mama pR^iSTha gatau = sitting on my shoulders; aagamiSyataH = can come; tvat sakaasham = to you; uditau chandra suuryaav iva = like the rising sun and the moon.
"Rama and Lakshmana, those two lions among men, also of great strength, ascending on my shoulders, can come to you, like the rising sun and the moon."
अरिघ्नम् सिम्ह सम्काशम् क्षिप्रम् द्रक्ष्यसि राघवम् |
लक्ष्मणम् च धनुष् पाणिम् लन्का द्वारम् उपस्थितम् || ५-६८-२५
25. raaghavam = Rama; arighnam = the annihilator of enemies; simha samkaasham = similar to a lion; lakSmaNam cha = and Lakshmana; dhanuS paaNim = wielding or bow in his hand; kSipram = will soon; upaasthitam = approach; laN^kaa dvaaram = the entrance gate of Lanka; drakSyasi = and you will see (them).
"Rama, the annihilator of enemies, similar to a lion, and Lakshmana wielding a bow in his hand, will surely approach the entrance-gate of Lanka and you will see them soon."
नख दम्ष्ट्र आयुधान् वीरान् सिम्ह शार्दूल विक्रमान् |
वानरान् वानर इन्द्र आभान् क्षिप्रम् द्रक्ष्यसि सम्गतान् || ५-६८-२६
26. drakSyasi = you can see; kSipram = soon; viiraan vaanaraan = the valiant monkeys; nakha damSTra aayudhaan = with their claws and tusks as weapons; simha shaarduula vikramam = having the prowess of lions and tigers; vaaraNendra bhaan = looking like lordly elephants; samgataan = coming together.
"'You can see soon those valiant monkeys, with their claws and tusks as weapons, having the prowess of lions and tigers and looking like lordly elephants, coming here together'."
शैल अम्बुदन् निकाशानाम् लन्का मलय सानुषु |
नर्दताम् कपि मुख्यानाम् अचिरात् शोष्यसे स्वनम् || ५-६८-२७
27. shroSyasi = you will hear; achiraat = within a short time; svanam = the sound; kapi mukhyanaam = of the excellent of monkeys; nardataam = resonating; laN^kaa malaya saanuSu = on the mountain-peaks of Mount Malayaa in Lanka; shail ambudan nikaashaanaam = like mountains and clouds.
"'You will hear within a short time, the clamour of the excellent of monkeys resonating like a mountains and clouds, on the peaks of Mount Malaya in Lanka'."
निवृत्त वन वासम् च त्वया सार्धम् अरिम् दमम् |
अभिषिक्तम् अयोध्यायाम् क्षिप्रम् द्रक्ष्यसि राघवम् || ५-६८-२८
28. drakSyasi = you will see; raaghavam = Rama; arim damam = the annihilator of enemies; nivR^itta vana vaasam = returned from his exile; abhiShiktam = and getting; anointed to the crown; ayodhyayaam = in Ayodhya; tvayaa saridham = along with you; kShipram = soon.
"'You will see Rama, the annihilator of enemies, returning from exile, and getting anointed to the crown in Ayodhya, along with you soon'."
ततो मया वाग्भिः अदीन भाषिणी |
शिवाभिः इष्टाभिः अभिप्रसादिता |
जगाम शान्तिम् मम मैथिल आत्मजा |
तव अपि शोकेन तथा अभिपीडिता || ५-६८-२९
29. tataH = thereafter; tava shokena api = though tormented with thought of your sorrow too; abhipiiDitaa = the tormented; maithila aatmajaa = Seetha; abhiprasaadita = was soothened; mayaa = by me; adiina bhaaShiNii = through comforting words spoken; mama vaagbhiH = and by my words; shiivaabhiH = which were well disposed; iSTaabhiH = and agreeable; jagaama = obtained; shaantim = peace of mind.
"Thereafter, soothened by me with comforting, well-disposed and agreeable words, Seetha, though tormented with thought of your grief, obtained peace of mind."
- - -
इत्यार्षे श्रीमद्रामायणे आदिकाव्ये सुन्दरकाण्डे अष्टषष्टितमः सर्गः
|Top of Page||1||2||3||4|
© May, 2007, K. M. K. Murthy