Dadhimukha comes to Sugreeva and reports that Madhuvana, the grove abounding in honey, has been damaged by monkeys headed by Angada and Hanuma. When Lakshmana in the vicinity enquires Sugreeva about the matter, Sugreeva says that by hearing about the jubilation of the monkeys, it can be concluded that Seetha has been traced out. Assuaging Dadhimukha, Sugreeva asks him to send without delay, Hanuma, Angada and others to him, so as to hear about their efforts in tracing out Seetha.
ततो मूर्ध्ना निपतितम् वानरम् वानर ऋषभः |
दृष्ट्वा एव उद्विग्न हृदयो वाक्यम् एतत् उवाच ह || ५-६३-१
1. dR^iShTvaiva = just after seeing; vaanaram = Dadhimukha; nipatitam = who fell; muurdhnaa = touching the head (on his feet); vaanaram R^iShabhaH = Sugreeva the chef of monkeys; tataH = there; uvaacha ha = spoke; etat = these; vaakyam = words; udvigna hR^idayaH = with an agitated mind.
Just on seeing Dadhimukha, who fell touching his feet with his head, Sugreeva the chief of monkeys, with an agitated mind, spoke the following words:
उत्तिष्ठ उत्तिष्ठ कस्मात् त्वम् पादयोः पतितो मम |
अभयम् ते भवेत् वीर सत्यम् एव अभिधीयताम् || ५-६३-२
2. viira = O valiant monkeys!; uttiShTha uttiShTha = stand up; rise!; kasmaat = for what reason; tvam = have you; patitaH = fallen; mama paadayoH = on my feet?; te abhayam bhavet = I grant you immunity from fear; sarvameva abhidhiiyataam = Let the entire truth be spoken!.
"O valiant monkey! Stand up, rise! Why have you fallen on my feet? I grant you immunity from fear. Let the entire truth be spoken!"
स तु विश्वासितः तेन सुग्रीवेण महात्मना |
उत्थाय च महाप्राज्ञो वाक्यम् दधि मुखो अब्रवीत् || ५-६३-३
3. vishvaasitaH = thus inspired with confidence; mahaatmanaa tena sugreevaNa = by that high-souled Sugreeva; saH sumahaa praaJNaH dadhimukhaH = that vastly intelligent Dadhimukha; utthaaya = rising up; abraviit = spoke; vaakyam = (the following) words:
Thus inspired by the high-souled Sugreeva with confidence, that highly intelligent Dadhimukha, rising up, spoke the following words:
न एव ऋक्ष रजसा राजन् न त्वया न अपि वालिना |
वनम् निसृष्ट पूर्वम् हि भक्षितम् तत् तु वानरैः || ५-६३-४
4. raajaa = O king!; vanam = Madhuvana; naiva nispR^iSTa puurvam hi = was not indeed set free previously at any time; R^ikSha raajasaa = by Riksharajas; your father; na = nor; tvayaa = by you; na = nor vaalina api = by Vali eve; tachcha = It; bhakShitam = has been consumed; vaanaraiH = by the monkeys.
"O king! Madhuvana was indeed not set free previously at any time by Riksharajas, your father, or by you, or by even Vali. That Madhuvana has been consumed away by the monkeys."
एभिः प्रधर्षिताः च एव वारिता वन रक्षिभिः |
मधूनि अचिन्तयित्वा इमान् भक्षयन्ति पिबन्ति च || ५-६३-५
5. vaanaraaH = the monkeys; pradharShitaaH cha eva = when frightened; ebhiH vana rakShibhiH = by these guards of the grove; achintayitvaa = disregarding; imaan = then; bhakShayanti = (they) continue to eat (the fruits); pibanti cha = and drink; madhuuni = the honey.
"When these guards of the grove obstructed the monkeys, they disregarded the guards and continue to eat the fruits and drink the honey too."
शिष्टम् अत्र अपविध्यन्ति भक्षयन्ति तथा अपरे |
निवार्यमाणाः ते सर्वे भ्रुवौ वै दर्शयन्ति हि || ५-६३-६
6. apavidhyanti = some are throwing away; shiShTam = the remnant (after drinking) of the honey; atra = there; tathaa = and; apare = some others; bhakShayanti = are consuming (that remnant); nivaaryamaaNaaH = (when) prevented (by us); te sarve = all of them; darshayanti hi = are indeed showing; bhruvaH = their eye-brows.
"Some are throwing away a remnant of honey, after drinking it there and some others are consuming that remnant. When prevented by us, all of them are indeed exhibiting their eye-brows to us (in anger)."
इमे हि सम्रब्धतराः तथा तैः सम्प्रधर्षिताः |
वारयन्तो वनात् तस्मात् क्रुद्धैः वानर पुम्गवैः || ५-६३-७
7. ime = (when) these guards of the grove; samrabdhataraaH = are more angry; tathaa = and; vaarayantaH = keeping them off; tasmaat vaanaat = from that grove; sampradharShitaaH = they were threatened; taiH kruddhaiH vaanarapuN^gavaiH = by those enraged monkeys.
"When these guards of the grove became angry and tried to keep them off from the grove, those enraged monkeys threatened them."
ततः तैः बहुभिः वीरैः वानरैः वानर ऋषभाः |
सम्रक्त नयनैः क्रोधाद्त् हरयः सम्प्रचालिताः || ५-६३-८
8. vaanara R^iShabhaaH = O chief of monkeys!; taiH viiraiH bahubhiH vaanaraiH = eyes; by those valiant monkeys in large numbers; samrakta nayanaiH = having red-eyes; harayaH = these monkeys; tataH = then; pravichaalitaaH = were driven away; krodhaat = with anger.
"O chief of monkeys! Then, those valiant monkeys in large numbers, having their red eyes in anger, drove away these monkeys."
पाणिभिः निहताः केचित् केचिज् जानुभिः आहताः |
प्रकृष्टाः च यथा कामम् देव मार्गम् च दर्शिताः || ५-६३-९
9. kechit = some; nihataaH = were struck down; paaNibhiH = with their hands; kechit = some; aahataaH = were beaten; jaanubhiH = with their knees; prakR^iShTaaH = being dragged; yathaa kaamam = as liked by them; darshitaaH cha = they were tossed into; deva maargam = air.
"Those monkeys struck some of the guards with their hands. They beat some of them with their knees. They dragged some of them and tossed them into air."
एवम् एते हताः शूराः त्वयि तिष्ठति भर्तरि |
कृत्स्नम् मधु वनम् चैव प्रकामम् तैः प्रभक्ष्यते || ५-६३-१०
10. tvayi tiShThati bhartari = while you are in the position of a king; ete = these; shuuraaH = valiant guards; hataaH = were beaten; taiH = by those monkeys; kR^itsnam = the entire; madhu vanam chaiva = Madhuvana too; prakaamam prabhakSyate = is being eaten completely.
"While you are in the position of a king, those monkeys have beaten these valiant guards and are eating away the entire Maduvana too."
एवम् विज्ञाप्यमानम् तु सुग्रीवम् वानर ऋषभम् |
अपृच्छत् तम् महाप्राज्ञो लक्ष्मणः पर वीरहा || ५-६३-११
11. tam sugriivam = to that Sugreeva; vaanara R^Shabham = the excellent of monkeys; vijJNaapyamaanam = who was being reported; evam = thus; (by Dadhimukha); lakShmaNaH = Lakshmana; para viirahaa = the killer of hostile heroes; mahaapraajJNaH = and a very wise man; apR^ichchhat = asked (as follows):
Lakshmana, the killer of hostile heroes and a very wise man, asked that Sugreeva, the excellent of monkeys (as follows) while Dadhimukha was thus reporting to him:
किम् अयम् वानरो राजन् वनपः प्रत्युपस्थितः |
कम् च अर्थम् अभिनिर्दिश्य दुह्खितो वाक्यम् अब्रवीत् || ५-६३-१२
12. raajam = O king!; kim = why; ayam vaanaraH = has this monkey; vanapaH = the garden-protector; pratyupasthitaH = come (here)?; abhinirdishya = pointing out; kam = what; artham = matter; duHkhitaH = has this monkey in grief; abraviit = spoken; vaakyam = some words (to you)?
"O king! Why has this monkey the garden-protector, come here?' Pointing out what matter has this monkey in grief, spoken these words to you?"
एवम् उक्तः तु सुग्रीवो लक्ष्मणेन महात्मना |
लक्ष्मणम् प्रत्युवाच इदम् वाक्यम् वाक्य विशारदः || ५-६३-१३
13. evam = thus; uktaH = spoken; mahaatmanaa lakShmaNena = by the high souled Lakshmana; sugriivaH vaakyam vishaaradaH = the eloquent Sugreeva; pratyuvaacha = replied; laKShmaNam = to Lakshmana; idam = these; vaakyam = words.
Hearing the words of the high-souled Lakshmana, the eloquent Sugreeva replied to him as follows:
आर्य लक्ष्मण सम्प्राह वीरो दधि मुखः कपिः |
अन्गद प्रमुखैः वीरैः भक्षितम् मधु वानरैः || ५-६३-१४
विचित्य दक्षिणामाशामागतैर्हरिपुङ्गवैः |
14. aarya lakShmaNa = O esteemed Lakshmana!; dadhi mukhaH = Dadhimukha; viiraH = the valiant; kapiH = monkey; sampraaha = is informing; hari puN^gavaiH = that by the foremost of monkeys; aagataiH = who returned; vichitya = having searched (for Seetha); dakShiNaam aashaam = from southern direction; aN^gada pramukhaiH viiraiH = accompanied by Angada and other heroes; madhu = honey; bhakSitam = was consumed.
"O esteemed Lakshmana! Dadhimukha, the valiant monkey is informing that the foremost of monkeys, who returned from the southern direction, after searching for Seetha as also Angada and other heroes consumed honey."
न एषाम् अकृत कृत्यानाम् ईदृशः स्यात् उपक्रमः || ५-६३-१५
आगतैश्च प्रमथितम् यथा मधुवनम् हि तैः |
धर्षितं च वनम् कृत्स्नमुपयुक्तम् च वानरैः || ५-६३-१६
15; 16. yathaa = in which manner; taiH aagataiH = by those returned; vaanaraiH = monkeys; kR^itsnam vanam = the entire grove; pramathitam = was destroyed; dharShitam = overpowered; upayuktam = and used; (tathaa = seeing that manner); eShaam = these monkeys; na syaat = would not have indulged; iidR^ishaH upakramaH = in such an exploit; akR^ita kR^ityaanaam = had they not accomplished my purpose.
"By seeing the manner in which these returned monkeys overpowered, destroyed and behaved towards Madhuvana, we can deduce that the monkeys would not have indulged in such an exploit, had they not accomplished my purpose."
वनम् यथा अभिपन्नम् तैः साधितम् कर्म वानरैः |
दृष्टा देवी न संदेहो न च अन्येन हनूमता || ५-६३-१७
17. yadaa = when; te = those monkeys; abhipannaaH = have overpowered; anam = Madhuvana; (then); karma = the task; saadhitam = has been accomplished; vaanaraiH = by the monkeys; devii = Seetha; dR^iShTaa = was found; na sandehaH = there is no doubt; na = none; anyena = other; hanumataa = than Hanuma.
"When those monkeys have overpowered Madhuvana, then it means that our task has been accomplished by the monkeys. Seetha was found. There is no doubt. None other than Hanuma must have seen Seetha."
न हि अन्यः साधने हेतुः कर्मणो अस्य हनूमतः |
कार्य सिद्धिः हनुमति मतिः च हरि पुम्गव || ५-६३-१८
व्यवसायः च वीर्यम् च श्रुतम् च अपि प्रतिष्ठितम् |
18. na hi anyaH = there is indeed none other; hanuumataH = than Hanuma; hetuH = who is the executor; in accomplishing; asya karmaNaH = this work; tasmin vaanarapuN^gave = In that Hanuma; the foremost among the monkeys; kaarya siddhiH = accomplishment of any object; matiH cha iva = intelligence; vyavasaayaaH cha = strenuous effort; viiryam cha = vigour; shrutam cha api = and learning; pratiShThitam = are well established in his life.
"There is none other than, Hanuma who is the executor in accomplishing this work. In that Hanuma, the foremost among the monkeys, capacity to accomplish any object; intelligence; strenuous, vigour effort; and learning are well established in his life."
जाम्बवान् यत्र नेता स्यात् अन्गदस्य बल ईश्वरः |
हनूमान् च अपि अधिष्ठाता न तस्य गतिः अन्यथा || ५-६३-१९
19. yatra = where; jaambavaan = Jambavan; netaa syaat = is a leader; mahaabalaH = the mighty; aN^gadashcha = Angada also (is a leader); hanumaamshcha = and Hanuma; adhiShThaataa = is an administrator; gatiH = the progress; tasya = of that work; na anyathaa = cannot be otherwise.
"Where Jambavan as well as Angada are leaders and Hanuma is an administrator, the progress of that work cannot be as otherwise."
अन्गद प्रमुखैः वीरैः हतम् मधु वनम् किल || ५-६३-२०
वारिताः सहिताः पालाः तथा जानुभिः आहताः |
20. madhuvanam hatam kila = It is so reported that Madhuvana has been destroyed; viiraiH = by the heroes; aN^gada pramukhaiH = with Angada as the chief; vaarayantaH cha = the garden guards who wee preventing it; sahitaaH = together; tadaa = then; aahataaH = were beaten up; jaanubhiH = with knees.
"It is so reported that Madhuvana has been destroyed by the heroes with Angada as the chief and the garden-guards who were together preventing the damage, were beaten up with knees."
एतत् अर्थम् अयम् प्राप्तो वक्तुम् मधुर वाग् इह || ५-६३-२१
नाम्ना दधि मुखो नाम हरिः प्रख्यात विक्रमः |
21. vaktum = to tell; etat artham = this matter; madhura vaak = in sweet words; hariH = the monkeys; dadhimukho naama naamnaa = renowned by Dadhimukha by name; prakhyaata vikramaH = with a celebrated prowess; praaptaH = has come; iha = here.
"To tell this matter in sweet words, the monkey renowned by Dadhimukha by name, with his celebrated prowess, has come here."
दृष्टा सीता महाबाहो सौमित्रे पश्य तत्त्वतः || ५-६३-२२
अभिगम्य यथा सर्वे पिबन्ति मधु वानराः |
22. mahaabaaho = O the long-armed; saumitre = Lakshmana!; siitaa = Seetha; dR^iShTaa = was found; pashya = perceive; tattvataH = the truth; pashya = see (it); tathaa = and; sarve = all; vaanaraaH = the monkeys; abhigamya = meeting together; pibanti = are drinking; madhu = honey.
"O the long-armed Lakshmana! Perceive the truth that Seetha has been seen and see that all monkeys, getting together, are drinking honey."
न च अपि अदृष्ट्वा वैदेहीम् विश्रुताः पुरुष ऋषभ || ५-६३-२३
वनम् दात्त वरम् दिव्यम् धर्षयेयुः वन ओकसः |
23. puruSha R^iShabha = O Lakshmana; the foremost among men!; vishrutaaH = (if) the renowned; vana okasaH = monkeys; adR^iShTvaa = have not seen; vaidehiim = Seetha; na dharShayeyuH = (they) would not have abused; vanam = the grove; datta varam = which was granted as a boon; divyam = and is charming.
"O Lakshmana, the foremost among men! If the renowned monkeys have not seen Seetha, they would not have abused the charming grove; which was granted as a boon."
ततः प्रहृष्टो धर्म आत्मा लक्ष्मणः सह राघवः || ५-६३-२४
श्रुत्वा कर्ण सुखाम् वाणीम् सुग्रीव वदनाच् च्युताम् |
प्राहृष्यत भृशम् रामो लक्ष्मणः च महायशाः || ५-६३-२५
24; 25. tataH = then; dharma aatmaa = the righteous; lakShmaNaH = Lakshmana; saha raaghavaH = together with Rama; prahR^iShTaH = felt delighted; shrutvaa = hearing; vaaNiim = the words; chyutaam = coming; sugriiva vadanaat = from the mouth of Sugreeva; karNa sukhaam = pleasant for the ears; raamaH = Rama; praahR^iShyata = was rejoiced; mahaabalaH = the mighty lakSmaNashcha = Lakshmana too; bhR^isham = was very much; praahR^iShyate = rejoiced.
Then, the righteous Lakshmana, together with Rama, felt delighted. Hearing the words coming from the mouth of Sugreeva, which were pleasant for the ears, Rama was rejoiced. The mighty Lakshmana too was very much rejoiced.
श्रुत्वा दधि मुखस्य इदम् सुग्रीवः तु प्रहृष्य च |
वन पालम् पुनः वाक्यम् सुग्रीवः प्रत्यभाषत || ५-६३-२६
26. shrutvaa = hearing; idam = these words; dadhimukhasya = of Dadhimukha; sugriivaH = Sugreeva with a charming neck; samprahR^iShya = was very much pleased; punaH = and further; pratyabhaaShataH = spoke; vaakyam = the following words; vana paalam = to the guardian of the grove.
Hearing those words of Dadhimukha, Sugreeva with a charming neck, was very much pleased and further spoke to Dadhimukha, the guardian of the grove (as follows):
प्रीतो अस्मि सौम्य यत् भुक्तम् वनम् तैः कृत कर्मभिः |
मर्षितम् मर्षणीयम् च चेष्टितम् कृत कर्मणाम् || ५-६३-२७
27. saH aham = I; priitaH asmi = am pleased; yat = that; vanam = Madhuvana; bhuktam = has been enjoyed; taiH = by those monkeys; kR^ita karmabhiH = who have accomplished their act; cheShTitam = the act (damage to the grove); kR^ita karmaNaam = done by those monkeys who have accomplished their purpose; marShaNiiyam = is fit to be forgiven; marShitam = and it is pardoned.
"I am happy that Madhuvana has been enjoyed by those monkeys, who have accomplished their act. Since the act (damage to the grove) done by those monkeys, who have accomplished their purpose is fit to be forgiven, I pardon them.
इच्छामि शीघ्रम् हनुमत् प्रधानान् |
शाखा मृगान् तान् मृग राज दर्पान् |
द्रष्टुम् कृत अर्थान् सह राघवाभ्याम् |
श्रोतुम् च सीता अधिगमे प्रयत्नम् || ५-६३-२८
28. raaghavaabhyaam saha = I; along with Rama and Lakshmana; shiighram = soon; ichchhami = desire; draShTum = to see; taan = those; shaakhaa mR^igaan = monkeys; hanumat pradhaanaan = with Hanuma as their chief; mR^iga raaja darpaan = having the pride of a lion; kR^ita arthaan = and who attained their object; shrotum cha = and to hear; prayatnam = about their effort; siitaa adhigame = in finding out Seetha.
"I, together with Rama and Lakshmana, soon desire to see those monkeys, with Hanuma as their chief, who having acquired the pride of a lion and who attained his purpose; and also to hear about their effort in finding out Seetha."
प्रीतिस्फीताक्षौ सम्प्रहृष्टौ कुमारौ |
दृष्ट्वा सिद्धार्थौ वानराणाम् च राजा |
अङ्गैः सम्हृष्टैः कर्मसिद्धिम् विदित्वा |
बाह्वोओरासन्नाम् सोऽतिमात्रम् ननन्द || ५-६३-२९
29. dR^iShTvaa = seeing; kumaarau = these princes; priitisphiitaakShau = with their delighted expansive eyes; samprahR^iShTau = who are thrilled with joy; siddhaarthau = and who accomplished their aim; saH = that; vaanaraaNaam raajaa = king of the monkeys; atimaatram nananda = was very much pleased; viditvaa = knowing; karmasiddhim = that accomplishment of their work; aasannaam = is coming close; baahvoH = to their hands; aN^gaiH = and with his limbs; samhR^iShTaiH = thrilled with joy.
Seeing Rama and Lakshmana with their eyes filled with ecstatic delight, the princes, who were thrilled with joy and who accomplished their aim, Sugreeva that king of the monkeys was very much delighted, knowing that accomplishment of their work is coming close to their hands and his limbs were thrilled with joy.
- - -
इत्यार्षे श्रीमद्रामायणे आदिकाव्ये सुन्दरकाण्डे त्रिषष्टितमः सर्गः
|Top of Page||1||2||3||4|
© December, 2006, K. M. K. Murthy
What the world says about
This page transported by FREE Go FTP Software