Hanuma, with his blazing tail comes out and flits over the horses in Lanka, making up his mind to set fire to the city of Lanka which is the only work let for him to do. Hanuma burns the entire city, barring the abode of Vibhishana. All the demons were frightened o seeing the blazing fire, consuming their city with its trees, houses and a host of living beings. Surprised to see the city burning, the celestials and musicians (Gandharvas) gain a great delight.
वीक्षमाणः ततो लन्काम् कपिः कृत मनो रथः |
वर्धमान समुत्साहः कार्य शेषम् अचिन्तयत् || ५-५४-१
1. tataH = then; kR^ita manorathaH = after fulfilling his heart's wish; kapiH = Hanuma; viikSamaaNaH = looking over; laN^kaam = Lanka; achintayat = thought; kaarya sheSam = about the remaining act to be done; vardhamaanasamutsaahaH = with an augmented energy.
Then, after fulfilling his heart's wish, Hanuma, looking over Lanka, thought about the remaining act to be done, with an augmented energy.
किम् नु खल्व् अविशिष्टम् मे कर्तव्यम् इह साम्प्रतम् |
यत् एषाम् रक्षसाम् भूयः सम्ताप जननम् भवेत् || ५-५४-२
2. kimnu = which; kartavyam = (is the) act; khalu = indeed; avashiSTam = remaining; iha = here; me = for me; yat = that; ibhavet = may; bhuuyaH = anguish; saampratam = now; eSaam = to these; rakSasaam = demons?
"Which act indeed is remaing nowto be done by me here, that may further create anguish to these demons?"
वनम् तावत् प्रमथितम् प्रकृष्टा राक्षसा हताः |
बल एक देशः क्षपितः शेषम् दुर्ग विनाशनम् || ५-५४-३
3. vanam = the garden; pramathitam taavat = has been destroyed; prakR^iSTaaH = excellent; raakSasaaH = demons; hataaH = have been killed; balaikadeshaH = a portion of the army; kSapitaH = has been destroyed durgavinaashanam = the demolition of the fort; sheSam = is remaining.
"I have demolished the garden. I have killed excellent demons. I destroyed a portion of the army. The demolition of the fort is still remaining."
दुर्गे विनाशिते कर्म भवेत् सुख परिश्रमम् |
अल्प यत्नेन कार्ये अस्मिन् मम स्यात् सफलः श्रमः || ५-५४-४
4. durge = (While) the fort; vinaashite = is destroyed; karma = the task; bhavet = will become; sukhaprishramam = bereft of fatigue; alpayatnena = by a small effort; asmin kaarye = in this task; shramaH = the work; syaat = will become; saphalah = fruitful.
"When the fort gets destroyed, the task (of Rama's battle) will be devoid of fatigue. Even with a small effort in this task, the work will become fruitful."
यो हि अयम् मम लान्गूले दीप्यते हव्य वाहनः |
अस्य सम्तर्पणम् न्याय्यम् कर्तुम् एभिः गृह उत्तमैः || ५-५४-५
5. nyaayam = It is justified; kartum = to do; samtarpaNam = the act of satiating; asya = to it; ayam = this; haryavaahanaH = fire; yaH diipyate = which is flaring up; mama laaNguule = on my tail; ebhiH = with these; gR^ihottamaH = excellent houses.
"It is justified to satisfy this blazing flame on my tail, by feeding it to the full, with these excellent houses (in the city of Lanka)."
ततः प्रदीप्त लान्गूलः सविद्युत् इव तोयदः |
भवन अग्रेषु लन्काया विचचार महाकपिः || ५-५४-६
6. tataH = then; mahaakapiH = Hanuma; prataptalaaNguulaH = with his burning tail; vichachaara = strolled; bhavanaagreSu = over the house-tops; laN^kaayaaH = in Lanka; savidyut toyadaH iva = like a cloud charged with lightning.
Then, Hanuma, with his burning tail, strolled over the house-tops of Lanka, like a cloud charged with lightning.
गृहाद्गृहम् राक्षसानामुद्यानानि च वानरः |
वीक्षमाणो ह्यसम्त्रस्तः प्रासादांश्च चचार सः || ५-५४-७
7. viikSamaaNaH = Surveying; udyaanaani = the gardens; praasaadaashcha = and lofty palatial mansions; saH vaanaraH = that Hanuma; asamtraptaH = without fear; chachaara = wandered; gR^ihaat = from one house; gR^iham = to another house; raakSasaanaam = of the demons.
Surveying the gardens and lofty palatial mansions, that Hanuma, without fear, passed from one house to another, of the demons.
अवप्लुत्य महावेगः प्रहस्तस्य निवेशनम् |
अग्निम् तत्र स निक्षिप्य श्वसनेन समो बली || ५-५४-८
ततोऽन्यत्पुप्लुवे वेश्म महापार्श्वस्य वीर्यवान् |
मुमोच हनुमान् अग्निम् काल अनल शिखा उपमम् || ५-५४-९
8; 9. avaplutya = jumping down; prahastasya niveshanam = on Prahasta's house; viiryavaan = the valiant; saH = Hanuma; mahaavegaH = with great swiftness; balii = having strength; samaH = equal; shvasanena = to wind; nikSipya = putting down; agnim = fire; tatra = on it; tataH = and from there; pupluve = jumped over; anyat = another; veshma = house; mahaaparshvasya = of Mahaparsva; hanumaan = Hanuman; mumocha = dropped; agnim = fire; kaalaanalashikhopamam = resembling a flame of fire that is to destroy the world; (on that house).
Jumping down on Prahasta's house, the valiant Hanuma, with great swiftness, having strength equal to wind, scattering fire on it, jumped over from there, to another house belonging to Mahaparsva. Hanuma, with great swiftness, having strength equal to wind, scattering fire on it, jumped over from there, to another house belonging to Mahaparsva. Hanuma scattered a fire there resembling a flame of fire that is to destroy the world.
वज्रदंष्ट्र स्य च तदा पुप्लुवे स महाकपिः |
शुकस्य च महातेजाः सारणस्य च धीमतः || ५-५४-१०
10. saH mahaakapiH = that Hanuma; mahaatejaa = of great splendour; tadaa = then; pupluve = jumped over; (the houses); vajradamSTrasycha = of Vajradamshtra; shukasya = of Shuka; dhiimataH saaraNasya = and of the intelligent Sarana.
That Hanuma, of great splendour, then leapt to the houses of Vajradamshtra, Shuka and Sarana, the intelligent.
तथा चेन्द्रजितो वेश्म ददाह हरियूथपः |
जम्बुमालेः सुमालेश्च ददाह भवनम् ततः || ५-५४-११
रश्मिकेतोश्च भवनम् सूर्यशत्रोस्तथैव च |
ह्रस्वकर्णस्य दंष्ट्रस्य रोमशस्य च रक्षसः || ५-५४-१२
युद्धोन्मत्तस्य मत्तस्य ध्वजग्रीवस्य रक्षसः |
विद्युज्जिह्वस्य घोरस्य तथा हस्तिमुखस्य च || ५-५४-१३
कराळस्य पिशाचस्य शोणिताक्षस्य चैव हि |
कुम्भकर्णस्य भवनम् मकराक्षस्य चैव हि || ५-५४-१४
यज्ञशत्रोश्च भवनम् ब्रह्मशत्रोस्तथैव च|
नरान्तकस्य कुम्भस्य निकुम्भस्य दुरात्मनः || ५-५४-१५
वर्जयित्वा महातेजा विभीषणगृहम् प्रति |
क्रममाणः क्रमेणैव ददाह हरिपुङ्गवः || ५-५४-१६
11; 12; 13; 14;15; 16. varjayitvaa = leaving; vibhiiSaNa gR^ihamprati = the house of Vibhishana; haripuN^gava = Hanuma; mahaatejaaH = of great splendour; kramamaaNaH = went; krameNaiva = successively; bhavanam = to the house; rashmiketoshcha = of Rashmiketu; tathaiva cha = and; suuryashatroH = of surya shatru; hrasvakarNashcha = of Hrasvakarna; damSTrasya = of Damstra; rakSasaH romashasya = of Romasha the demon; yuddhonmattasya = of Yuddhaumatta; mattasya = of Matta; rakSasaH dhvajagriivasya = of Dhvajagriva; the demon; ghorasya vidyujjihvasya = of the terrific Vidyujjihva; tathaa = and; hastimukhasya cha = of Hastimukha; karaahasya = of Karala; pishaachasya = of Pishacha; shoNitaakSasya chaiva hi = of Shonitaaksha; bhavanam = the house; kumbhakarNasya = of Kumbhakarna; makaraakSasya chaivahi = of Makaraaksha; yajJNashatroshcha bhavanam = the house of Yajnashatru; tathaiva cha = and; brahmashatro = of Bhrahmashatru; naraantakasya = of Narantaka; kumbhasya = of Kumbha; duraatmanaH nikumbhasya = and the house of the evil minded Nikumbha.
Leaving the house of Vibhishana, Hanuma of great splendour, went successively to the houses of Rashmiketu, Surya shatru, Hrasvakarna, Damshtra, Romasha the demon, Yuddhonmatta, Matta, Dhvajagreeva the demon, the terrific Vidyujjihva, Hastimukha, Karala, Pishacha, Shonitaaksha, Kumbhakarna, Makaraksha, Yajnashatru, Brahmashatru, Narantaka, Kumbha as also the evil-minded Nikumbha and burnt the houses.
तेषु तेषु महार्हेषु भवनेषु महायशाः |
गृहेष्वृद्धिमतामृद्धिम् ददाह स महाकपिः || ५-५४-१७
17. saH mahaakapiH = that Hanuma; mahaayashaaH = of great fame; dadaaha = burnt away; R^iddhim = the wealth; teSu teSu = in the respective; mahaarheSu gR^iheSu = mansions; R^iddhimataam = of the rich.
That Hanuma of great fame burnt away wealth in the mansions of the rich.
सर्वेषाम् समतिक्रम्य राक्षसेन्द्रस्य वीर्यवान् |
आससादाथ लक्ष्मीवान् रावणस्य निवेशनम् || ५-५४-१८
18. samatikramya = having passed over; sarveSaam = all the houses; viiryavaan = the mighty; lakSmiivaan = Hanuman of glory; atha = thereafter; aasasaada = approached; niveshanam = the house; rakSasendrasya = of Ravana the king of demons.
Having passed over all the houses, the mighty and glorious Hanuma thereafter approached the house of Ravana the king of demons.
ततस्तस्मिन् गृहे मुख्ये नानारत्नविभूषिते |
मेरुमन्दरसंकाशे सर्वमङ्गळशोभिते || ५-५४-१९
प्रदीप्तमग्निमुत्सृज्य लाङ्गूलाग्रे प्रतिष्ठितम् |
ननाद हनुमान् वीरो युगान्तजलदो यथा || ५-५४-२०
19; 20. tataH = thereafter; utsR^ijya = throwing; pradiiptam = blazing; agnim = fire; pratiSThitam = located; laN^guulaagre = at the tip of his tail; tasmin mukhye gR^ihe = on that principal house; naanaaratna vibhuuSite = decorated with various kinds of precious stones; merumandara samkaashe = resembling Mounts Meru and Mandara; sarvamaNgaLa shobhite = and embellished with all good work; viiraH = the valiant; hanumaan = Hanuma; nanaada = roared; yugaantajalado yathaa = like a cloud thundering at noon-time in rainy season.
Thereafter, scattering a blazing fire located at the tip of his tail, on that principal house, decorated with various kinds of precious stones, resembling Mounts Meru and Mandara as also embellished with all good work, the valiant Hanuma roared like a cloud thundering at noon-time in a rainy season.
श्वसनेन च सम्योगात् अतिवेगो महाबलः |
काल अग्निः इव जज्वाल प्रावर्धत हुत अशनः || ५-५४-२१
21. samyogaat = in contact; shvasanena = with the wind; hutaashanah = the fire; praavardhata = escalated; ativegaH = with a great speed; mahaabalaH = and a great intensity; jajvaala = blazed; kaalagniriva = like a fire that is to destroy the world.
In contact with the wind, the fire escalated with a great speed and intensity, blazing like a fire that is to destroy the world.
प्रदीप्तम् अग्निम् पवनः तेषु वेश्मसु चारयत् |
अभूच्छ्वसनसम्योगादतिवेगो हुताशनः || ५-५४-२२
22. pavanaH = the wind; aachaarayat = carried; pradiiptam = the blazing; agnim = fire; teSu veshmasu = on those houses; shvasanam yogaat = by combining with the wind; hutaashanaH = the fire; abhuut = became; ativegaH = very swift.
The wind carried the blazing fire to other houses. In conjunction with the wind, the fire became very swift.
तानि कान्चन जालानि मुक्ता मणिमयानि च |
भवनानि अवशीर्यन्त रत्नवन्ति महान्ति च || ५-५४-२३
23. taani mahaanti cha bhavanaani = those; large houses; kaaNchana jaalaani = with golden windows; muktaamaNimayaani cha = embedded with pearls; gems; ratnavanti = and precious stones; avashiiryanta = were shattered (to pieces).
Those large houses, with golden windows, embedded with pearls, gems and precious jewels were shattered to pieces.
सम्जज्ञे तुमुलः शब्दो राक्षसानाम् प्रधावताम् |
स्वग्ऱिहस्य परित्राणे भग्नोत्साहोर्जिअश्रियाम् || ५-५४-२४
नूनेमेषाऽग्निरायातः कपिरूपेण हा इति |
24. tumulaH = a tumultuous; shabdaH = voice; samjajJNe = was produced; iti = saying; haa = "Alas!; eSaH agniH = this fire; aayataH = has come; nuunam = really; kapiruupeNa = in the form of a monkey!"; raakSasaanaam = by the demons; pradhaavataam = who were running (hither and thither); paritraaNe = to protect; svagR^ihasya = their houses; bhagnotsaahorjita shriyaam = who lost their energy and abundant wealth.
The demons, who were running hither and thither to protect their houses and who lost their spirits and abundant wealth, created a tumultuous nose, saying "Alas! The fire-god has come really in a form of this monkey!"
क्रन्दन्त्यः सहसा पेतुः स्तनंधयधराः स्त्रियः || ५-५४-२५
काश्चिरग्निपरीतेभ्यो हर्म्येभ्यो मुक्तमूर्धजाः |
पतन्त्यो रेजिरेऽभ्रेभ्यः सौदामिन्य इवाम्बरात् || ५-५४-२६
25; 26. kaashchit = some; striyaH = women; krandantyaH = crying; stamamdhaya dharaaH = carrying their suckling's; muktamuurdhajaaH = and having their hair dishevelled; petuh = felldown; sahasaa = quickly; harmebhyaH = from their houses; agniparitebhyaH = enveloped by fire; rejire = and shone; soudaaminyaH iva = like lightning's; patantyaH = falling; abhrebhyaH = from clouds; ambaraat = from the sky.
Some women crying and carrying their suckling's with their hair dishevelled, fell down from their houses, which were enveloped with fire, and shone like flashes of lightning falling from clouds in the sky.
वज्र विद्रुम वैदूर्य मुक्ता रजत सम्हितान् |
विचित्रान् भवनात् धातून् स्यन्दमानान् ददर्श सः || ५-५४-२७
27. saH = that Hanuma; dadarsha = saw; syandamaanaan = molten; dhaatuun = metals; vajra vidruma vaiduurya muktaa rajata samhitaan = mixed with diamonds; corals; cat's eye gems; pearls and silver; vichintraan bhavanaat = (surging) from every marvellous house.
That Hanuma saw molten metals mixed with diamonds, corals, cat's eye-gems, pearls and silver, surging from every marvellous house.
न अग्निः तृप्यति काष्ठानाम् तृणानाम् च यथा तथा |
हनूमान् राक्षस इन्द्राणाम् वधे किंचिन् न तृप्यति || ५-५४-२८
न हनूमद्विशस्तानाम् राक्षसानाम् वसुन्धरा |
28. yathaa = how; agniH = the fire; natR^ipyati = is not satisfied; kaaSThaanaam = with firewood; tR^iNaanaam = and dry blades of grass; tathaa = so also; hanumaan = Hanuma; natR^ipyati = was not satisfied; kimchit = even a little; vadhe = in killing; raakSasendraaNaam = of demons; vasundharaa = the earth; na = is not wearied; raakSasaanaam = with the demons; hanumadvishastaanaam = killed by Hanuma (receiving in her lap)
As the fire does not get satisfied with any amount of firewood and straw fed to it, Hanuma was not wearied in killing any number of demons. The earth was not then wearied in receiving the number of demons killed by Hanuma (in her lap).
क्वचित्किंशुकसम्काशाः क्वचिच्छाल्मलिसन्निभाः || ५-५४-२९
क्वचित्कुङ्कुमसम्काशाः शिखा वह्नेश्चकाशिरे |
29. shikaaH = flames; vahneH = of fire; chakaashire = glittered; kimshukasamkaashaaH = like Kimshuka (Butea frondosa) flowers; kvachit = at some places; shaalmali sannibhaaH = like blossoms of Shalmali tree (Salmalia malabarica); kvachit = at some places; kuNkuma samkaashaaH = like flowers of saffron; kvachit = at some places.
Flames of fire glittered like Kimshuka flowers at some places, blossoms of Shalmali tree at some places and like saffron-flowers at some other places.
हनूमता वेगवता वानरेण महात्मना |
लङ्कापुरम् प्रदग्धम् तद्रुद्रेण त्रिपुरम् यथा || ५-५४-३०
30. tat = that; laN^kaapuram = city of Lanka; pradagdham = was scorched; mahaatmanaa hanuumataa = by the high-souled Hanuma; vegavataa vaanareNa = the swift monkey; tripuram yathaa = as Tripura city; (was scorched); rudreNa = by Rudra.
The high souled Hanuma, the swift monkey scorched the city of Lanka, as Rudra scorched the city of Tripura.
ततस्तु लङ्कापुरपर्वताग्रे |
स्मुत्थितो भीमपराक्रमोऽग्निः |
प्रसार्य चूडावलयम् प्रदीप्तो |
हनूमता वेगवता विसृष्टः || ५-५४-३१
31. tataH = then; agniH = the fire; bhiima paraakramah = having a terrific prowess; visR^iSTaH = diffused; vegavataa hunuumataa = by the swift Hanuma; prasaarya = having stretched out; chuuDaavalayam = a circle of flames; pradiiptaH = blazed; samutthitaH = and rose up; laN^kaapura parvataagre = to the summit of the mountain on which the city of Lanka was situated.
Then, the fire having a terrific prowess, diffused by the swift Hanuma, stretching out a circle of flames, blazed and rose up to the summit of the mountain on which the city of Lanka.
समारुतोऽग्निर्ववृधे दिवस्पृक् |
विधूमरश्मिर्भवनेषु सक्तो |
रक्षः शरीराज्यसमर्पितार्चिः || ५-५४-३२
32. agniH = (that) fire; bhavaneSu = saktaH = diffused on those buildings; samaarutaH = together with the wind; yugaanta kaalaanala tulya vegaH = having a speed equal to the fire at the time of dissolution of the world; vavR^iddhe = grew taller; divispR^ik = touching the sky; (that fire was) vidhuuma rashmiH = having smokeless splendour; rakSaH shariiraajya samarpitaarchiH = with flames consigned to the bodies of demons like a ghee.
That fire diffused on those buildings, together with the wind picked up a speed equal to that of a fire at the time of dissolution of the world. It grew taller, touching the sky with a smokeless splendour. Those flames of fire shot up, as inflamed by ghee
आदित्यकोटीसदृशः सुतेजा |
लङ्काम् समस्ताम् परिवार्य तिष्ठन् |
र्भिन्दन्निवाण्डम् प्रबभौ महाग्निः || ५-५४-३३
33. mahaagniH = the great fire; parivaarya tiSThan = persisted; surrounding; samastaan laN^kaam = the entire Lanka; sutejaaH = with a good splendour; aaditya koTiisadR^ishaH = equal to that of a crore of suns; prababhau = blazed; aN^Dam bhindanniva = like a broken-up hemi-sphere of the world; shabdaiH = with sounds; anekaiH = in multitude; ashanipraruuDhaH = of a widely thunderbolt.
The great fire persisted, surrounding the entire Lanka, having a good splendour equal to that of millions of suns and blazed like a broken-up hemi-sphere of the world, creating many sounds of a wide-spread thunderbolt.
रूक्षप्रभः किंशुकपुष्पचूडाः |
नीलोत्पलाभाः प्रचकाशिरेऽभ्राः || ५-५४-३४
34. tatra = there; ruukSaprabhaH = with a harsh splendour; agniH = the fire; atipravR^iddhaH = extended fully; ambaraat = to the sky; kimshukapuSpa chuuDa = having a crest like; kimshuka flowers; (shooting flomes) abravaaH = the clouds; niilotpalaabhaaH = bearing the colour of blue lotuses; prachakaashire = shone; nirvaaNa dhuuma kuularaajayaH = as covered by smoke formed out of extinguished fire.
The fire with a fierce splendour there, extended fully to the sky, shooting flames like Kumshuka flowers. The clouds, bearing the colour of blue lotuses, shone as covered by smoke formed out of the extinguished fire.
वज्री महेन्द्रस्त्रिदशेश्वरो वा |
साक्षाद्यमो वा वरुणोऽनिलो वा |
रुद्रोग्निरर्को धनदश्च सोमो |
न वानरोऽयम् स्वयमेव कालः | ५-५४-३५
35. ayam = he; na = is not; vaanaraH = a monkey; (He is) mahendraH vaa = either Indra; vajraa = wielding a thunderbolt; saakSaat yamovaa = or Yama the lord of death appearing before the eyes; varuNaH = or Varuna the lord of water; anilovaa = or the wind-god; agniH = or the fire; rudraH = seated in the third eye of Lord Shiva; arkaH = or the sun-god; dhanadashcha = or Kubera the lord of riches; somah = or the moon-god; svayameva kaalaH = he may be Kala (the Time-spirit) himself.
"He is not a monkey. He is either Indra the Lord of celestials wielding a thunderbolt, or Yama the lord of death of water, or the wind-god or the fire seated in the third eye of Lord Shiva or the sun-god or Kubera the lord of riches or the moon-god. He may be Kala (the Time-spirit) himself."
किम् ब्रह्मण सर्वपितामहस्य |
सर्वस्य धातुश्चतुराननस्य |
इहागतो वानररूपधारी |
रक्षोपसम्हारकरः प्रतापः ५-५४-३६
36. kim = whether; chaturaananasya brahmaNaH prataapaH = the rage of four-faced Brahama; sarva pitaamahasya = the grand father of all; sarvasya dhaatuH = and the creator of all; upaayataH = has arrived; iha = here; vaanara ruupa dhaarii = in the guise of a monkey; rakSopasamhaarakaraH = playing the role of a destroyer of demons?.
"Whether the rage of four-faced Brahma, the grand father of all and the creator of all has arrived here in the guise of a monkey, playing the role of a destroyer of demons?"
किम् वैष्णवम् वा कपिरूपमेत्य |
रक्षोविनाशाय परम् सुतेजः |
स्वमायया साम्प्रतमागतम् वा ५-५४-३७
37. kim vaa = or whether; param = a supreme; sutejaH = bright energy; vaiSNavam = of Vishnu; the lord of maintenance of the Universe; achintyam = unthinkable; avyaktam = unmanifest; anantam = infinite; edam = and peerless; aagatam = arrived; etya kapiruupam = assuming the form of a monkey; rakSovinaashaaya = for the destruction of demons; saampratam = now; svamaayayaa = by virtue of Her extra ordinary power?
"Or whether a supreme bright energy of Vishnu, the lord of maintenance of the Universe, unthinkable, unmanifest, infinite and pearless, arrived now, assuming the form of a monkey for the destruction of demons, by virtue of Her extraordinary power?"
इत्येवमूचुर्बहवो विशिष्टा |
रक्षोगणास्तत्र समेत्य सर्वे |
सप्राणिसम्घां सगृहाम् सवृक्षाम् |
दग्धाम् पुरीम् ताम् सहसा समीक्ष्य || ५-५४-३८
38. ityevam = thus; uuchuH = spoke; sarve = all; vishiSTaaH raakSogaNaaH = those excellent troops of demons; bahavaH = in multitude; sametya = gathering together; tatra = there; samiikSya = on seeing; taam puriim = the city; dagdhaam = burnt; sahasaa = so soon; sapraaNisamghaam = with its host of living beings; sagR^ihaam = along with houses; savR^ikSaam = as also trees.
Thus spoke all those excellent troops of demons in multitude, gathering together there, on seeing that city scorched so soon, with its host of living beings, houses and trees.
ततस्तु लङ्का सहसा प्रदग्धा |
सराक्षसा साश्वरथा सनागा |
सपक्षिसम्घा समृगा सवृक्षा |
रुरोद दीना तुमुलम् सशब्दम् || ५-५४-३९
39. tataH = then; laN^kaa = Lanka; pradagdhaa = having been scorched; sahasaa = suddenly; saraakSasaa = with its demons; saashva rathaa = horses; chariots; sa naagaa = elephants; sapkSisamghaa = multitude of birds; samR^igaa = animals; savR^ikSaa = and trees; ruroda = cried; diinaa = pitiably; sashabdam tumulam = with tumultuous noise.
Then, Lanka having been scorched with its demons, horses, chariots, elephants, multitude of birds, animals and trees, cried pitiably with tumultuous noise.
हा तात हा पुत्रक कान्त मित्र |
हा जीवितम् भोगयुतम् सुपुण्यम् |
रक्षोभिरेवम् बहुधा ब्रुवद्भिः |
शब्दः कृतो घोररवः सुभीमः || ५-५४-४०
40. subhiimaH = a very terrific; shabdaH = noise; kR^itaH = was made; ghoraravaH = with a dreadful sound; bruvadbhiH = spoken; bahudhaa = in many ways; rakSobhiH = by demons; evam = thus; haa taata = O my dear father!; haa putraka = O my beloved son!; kaanta = O my beloved husband!; mitra = O my friend!; haa supuNyam jiivitam = O my very auspicious life; bhogayutam = filled with enjoyments.
Making a very terrific noise with a dreadful sound, the demons cried in various ways as follows: "O my dear beloved son! O my beloved husband! O my friend! O my very auspicious life, filled with enjoyments!"
हुताशनज्वालसमावृता सा |
हतप्रवीरा परिवृत्तयोधा |
हनूमतः क्रोधबलाभिभूता |
बभूव शापोपहतेअ लङ्का || ५-५४-४१
41. saa laNKaa = that Lanka; babhuuva = appeared; shaapopahateva = as afflicted by a curse; krodha balaabhibhuutaa = defeated by a strong fury; hanuumataH = of Hanuma; hutaashana jvaala samaavR^itaa = enveloped by flames of fire; hata praviiraa = with its distinguished heroes killed; parivR^ittayodhaan = with its warriors retreated.
That Lanka appeared as though afflicted by a curse, as defeated by a strong fury of Hanuma, enveloped by flames of fire, with its distinguished heroes killed and with its warriors in retreat.
स सम्भ्रामत्रस्तविषण्णराक्षसां |
ददर्श लङ्काम् हनुमान् महामानाः |
स्वयम्भूकोपोपहतामिवावनिम् || ५-५४-४२
42. hanumaan = Hanuma; mahaamanaaH = with his great mind; dadarsha = saw; laN^kaam = Lanka; sasambhramatrasta viSaNNa raakSasaam = with its confused; frigtened and dejected demons; samujjvala hutaashanaaN^kitaam = marked by blazing flames of fire; avanim iva = appearing like an earth; svayambhu kopahataam = afflicted by the fury of Brahama; the creator of the universe.
Hanuma, with his great mind, saw Lanka with its dazed, frightened and dejected demons, marked by blazing flames of fire and afflicted by the fury of Brahma the creator of the universe.
भम्क्त्वा वनम् पादपरत्नसम्कुलम् |
हत्वा तु रक्षांसि महान्ति सम्युगे |
दग्ध्वा पुरीम् ताम् गृहरत्नमालिनीम् |
तस्थौ हनूमान् पवनात्मजः कपिः || ५-५४-४३
43. bhamktvaa = Breaking; vanam = the garden; paadaparatna samkulam = which was full of excellent trees; hanuumaan = Hanuma; pavanaatmajaH kapiH = the monkey and son of wind-god; hatvaa = (after) killing; mahaanti = great; rakSaamsi = demons; samyuge = in the battle; dagdhvaa = and scorching; taam purrim = that city; gR^iharatnamaaliniim = endowed with a series of excellent houses; tasthau = stood at ease.
After demolishing the garden which was full of excellent trees, killing great demons in battle and burning that city endowed with a series of excellent houses, Hanuma the monkey and the son of wind-god, stood at ease.
त्रिकूटशृङ्गाग्रतले विचित्रे |
प्रतिष्ठितो वानरराजसिम्हः |
व्यराजतादित्य इवांशुमाली || ५-५४-४४
44. pratiSThitaH = standing; vichintre trikuuTa shR^ingaagratale = on the wonderful flat summit of Mount Trikuta; vaanara raaja simhaH = Hanuma; the foremost leader of the monkeys; pradiipta laaNguula kR^itaarchimaalii = having a garland of flames formed by his blazing tail; vyaraajata = shone; aadityaH iva = like the sun; amshumaalii = having a garland of rays.
Standing there on the wonderful flat summit of Mount Trikuta, Hanuma the foremost leader of the monkeys, having a garland of flames formed by his blazing tail, shone like the sun having a garland of rays.
स राक्षसांस्तान् सुबहूंश्च हत्वा |
वनम् च भम्क्त्वा बहूपादपम् तत् |
विसृज्य रक्षोभवनेषु चाग्निम् |
जगाम रामम् मनसा महात्मा || ५-५४-४५
45. hatvaa = killing; taan subabhuun = those several; raakSasaan = demons; bhaktvaa = demolishing; tat vanamcha = that garden also; bahupaadapam = endowed with several trees; visR^ijya = and throwing; agnim = fire; rakSobhavaneSu = on the houses of demons; saH mahaatmaa = that high souled Hanuma; manasaa = mentally; jagaama = went; raamam = to Rama.
Killing those multitudes of demons, demolishing that garden endowed with several trees and scattering fire on the houses of demons, the high-souled Hanuma sought Rama with his mind.
ततस्तु तम् वानवीरमुख्यम् |
महाबलम् मारुततुल्यवेगम् |
महामतिम् वायुसुतम् वरिष्ठम् |
प्रतुष्टवुर्देवगणाश्च सर्वे || ५-५४-४६
46. tataH = then; sarve = all; devagaNaaH = the multitude of celestials; pratuSTuvuH = enlogised; tam vaayusutam = that Hanuma; vaanara viira mukhyam = the principal; warrior of the monkeys; mahaabalam = possessing great strength; maarutatulya vegam = and swiftness equal to the wind; mahaamatim = greatly intelligent; variSTham = and the most excellent.
Then, all the multitude of celestials enlogised that Hanuma, the principal warrior of the monkeys, possessing great strength and swiftness similar to the wind, greatly intelligent and the most excellent.
भम्क्त्वा वनम् महातेजा हत्वा रक्षांसि सम्युगे |
दग्ध्वा लङ्कापुरीम् रम्याम् रराज स महाकपिः || ५-५४-४७
47. bhanktvaa = demolishing; vanam = the garden; hatvaa = killing; rakSaamsi = the demons; samyuge = in battle; mahaatejaaH = greatly splendoured; mahaakapiH = Hanuma; raraaja = shone; dagdhvaa = after burning; ramyaam = the beautiful; laN^kaapuriim = City of Lanka.
Demolishing the garden, killing the demons in battle, Hanuma of great splendour shone brightly, after burning the beautiful City of Lanka.
तत्र देवाः सगन्धर्वाः सिद्धाश्च परमर्ष्यः |
दृष्ट्वा लङ्काम् प्रद्ग्धाम् ताम् विस्मयम् परमम् गताः || ५-५४-४८
48. dR^iSTvaa = seeing; taam laNKaam purrim = that city of Lanka; dagdhaam = burnt; tatra = there; devaaH = celestials; siddhaashcha = saints; para marSayaH = and great sages; sagandharvaaH = along with celestial musicians; gataaH = got; paramam = a colossal vismayam = surprise.
Seeing that city of Lanka burnt there, celestials, saints and great sages along with celestial's musicians, got a colossal surprise.
तम् दृष्ट्वा वानरश्रेष्ठम् हनुमन्तम् महाकपिम् |
कालाग्निरिति संचिन्त्य सर्वभूतानि तत्रसुः || ५-५४-४९
49. dR^iSTvaa = seeing; tam hanumantam = that Hanuma; vaanarashreSTham = the foremost among the monkeys; mahaakapim = and a great monkey; sarva bhuutaani = all the created beings; tatrasuH = were frightened; samchintya = thinking him; kaalaagni riti = to be a fire that is to destroy the world.
Seeing that Hanuma, the foremost among the monkeys and a mighty monkey, all the created beings were frightened, thinking of him as a fire that is to destroy the world.
देवाश्च सर्वे मुनिपुङ्गवाश्च |
भूतानि सर्वाणि महान्ति तत्र |
जग्मुः पराम् प्रीतिमतुल्यरूपाम् || ५-५४-५०
50. tatra = there; sarve = all; devaashcha = the celestials; munipuN^gavaashcha = excellent sages; gandharva vidyaadhara naagayakSaaH = Gandharvas the celestials musicians; Vidyaadharas the supernatural beings; Nagas the celestial serpents and Yakshas the spirits; sarvaani = all; mahaanti bhuutaani = great living beings; jagmuH = got; paraam = a great; atulya ruupaam = peerless; priitim = delight.
There, all the celestial musicians, Vidyadharas the supernatural beings, Nagas the celestial serpents, Yakshas the spirits and all great living beings attained a great joy.
- - -
इत्यार्षे श्रीमद्रामायणे आदिकाव्ये सुन्दरकाण्डे चतुःपञ्चाशः सर्गः
|Top of Page||1||2||3||4|
© April, 2006, K. M. K. Murthy