Hearing the harsh words of Hanuma, Ravana orders him to be killed. Vibhishana, however, advises Ravana to desist from the dastardly act, pointing out that the killing of an envoy is forbiddenaccording to religious scriptures.
tasya tat vacanam shrutvaa vaanarasya mahaatmanaH |
aaj~naapayat vadham tasya raavaNaH krodha muurchitaH || 5-52-1
1. shrutvaa = hearing; tat vachanam = those words; tasya vaanarasya = of that Hanuma; mahaatmanaH = the high-souled one; raavaNaH = Ravana; krodhamuurchhitaH = excited with anger; aajJNaapayat = ordered; vadham = for the killing; tasya = of Hanuma.
Hearing those words of the high=souled Hanuma, Ravana duly excited with anger, ordered for the killing of Hanuma.
vadhe tasya samaaj~napte raavaNena duraatmanaa |
niveditavato dautyam na anumene vibhiiShaNaH || 5-52-2
2. samaajJNapte = while it was ordered; duraatmanaa raavaNena = by the evil-natured Ravana; tasya vadhe = for killing of Hanuma; vibhiiSaNaH = Vibhishana; naanumene = did not agree; dautyam niveditavataH = to the killing of Hanuma; who was entrusted with the function of a messenger.
While it was ordered by the evil-natured Ravana for the killing of Hanuma, Vibhishana did not agree to the killing of Hanuma, who was entrusted with the functions of a messenger.
tam rakSho adhipatim kruddham tac ca kaaryam upasthitam |
viditvaa cintayaamaasa kaaryam kaarya vidhau sthitaH || 5-52-3
3. viditvaa = looking to; tat = that; kaaryam cha = affair (of killing an envoy); upasthitam = that has arisen; tam = and that; rakSodhipatim = Ravana; kruddham = getting enraged; kaaryavidhau; sthitaH = Vibhishana; who was firm in accompanying any object; chintayaamaasa = reflected upon; kaaryam = the appropriate action to be done.
Seeing Ravana getting enraged and looking to that affair (of killing of an envoy) that has arisen, Vibhishana who was firm in accompanying any object, reflected upon an appropriate action to be done.
nishcita arthaH tataH saamnaa aapuujya shatrujit agrajam |
uvaaca hitam atyartham vaakyam vaakya vishaaradaH || 5-52-4
4. tataH = then; nishchitaarthaH = deciding about a right action; vaakyavishaaradaH = Vibhishana; who was skilled in communication; shatrujit = and a conqueror of enemies; uvaacha = spoke; atyartham = very meaningful; hitam = and useful; vaakyam = words; puujyam agrajam = to his venerable brother; saamnaa = softly.
Then, deciding about a right action, Vibhishna, who was silled in communication and a conqueror of enemies, spoke softly the following very meaningful and useful words to Ravana, his venerable borther.
kShamasva roSham tyaja raakShasendra |
prasiida madvaakyamidam shR^iNuShva |
vadham na kurvanti paraavarajJNaa |
duutasya santo vasudhaadhipendraaH || 5-52-5
5. raakSasendra = O king of demons!; kSamasva = forgive; tyaja = and give up; roSam = anger; prasiida = be gracious; shR^iNusva = and hear; idam = these; madvaakyam = words of mine; santaH = virtuous; vasudhaadhipendraaH = kings of excellence; paraavarajJNaaH = knowing the disant and the near; na kurvanti = do not cause; vadham = killing; duutasya = of an envoy.
"O king of demons! Forgive and give up your anger. Be gracious and hear my words. Virtuous kings of excellence, knowing the distant and the near, do not cause killing of an envoy."
raajan dharma viruddham ca loka vR^itteH ca garhitam |
tava ca asadR^isham viira kapeH asya pramaapaNam || 5-52-6
6. viira = O hero!; pramaapaNam = murder; asya kapeH = of this monkey; raajadharma viruddham = is antagonistic to a royal virtue; garhitam = and is condemnable; loka vR^itteshcha = according to universal custom; asadR^isham = It is improper; tavacha = for you too.
"O hero! Killing of this monkey is against a royal virtue and any universal custom condemns it. Hence, it is improper for you also to do it."
dharmajJNshcha kR^itajJNshcha raajadharmavishaaradaH |
paraavarajJNo bhuutaanaam tvameva paramaarthavit || 5-52-7
7. tvameva = you are indeed; dharmajJNascha = the knower of what is right; kR^itajJNashcha = and a person of gratitude; raajadharma vishaaradaH = you are experienced in royal virtues; paraavarajJNaH = you know both the distant and the near; bhuutaanaam = in beings; paramaarthavit = you know the highest truth.
"You are indeed the knower of what is right. You are a person of gratitude. You are well-versed in royal virtues. You know both the distant and the near in beings. You know the highest truth."
gR^ihyante yadi roSheNa tvaadR^isho.api vipashcitaH |
tataH shaastravipashchittvam shrama eva hi kevalam || 5-52-8
8. vipashchito.api yadi = if even learned persons; tvaadR^ishaH = like you; gR^ihyante = are seized; roSam = by anger; tataH = then; shaastravipashchittvam = the knowledge of scriptures; kevalam shrama eva hi = is indeed just a labour in vain.
"If even learned persons like you are seized by anger, then the knowledge of scriptures is indeed just a labour in vain."
tasmaatprasiida shatrughna raakShasendra duraasada |
tataH shaastravipashchittvam shrama eva hi kevalm || 5-52-9
9. raakSasendra = O king of demons!; shatrughna = O annihilator of enemies!; duuraasada = O king; dangerous to be approached!; tasmaat = therefore; prasiida = be greaceful; vinishchitya = determining; yuktaayuktam = about right and wrong; duutadaN^DaH = (let) the punishment to the envoy; vidhiiyataam = be ordered.
"O king of demons! O annihilator of enemies, dangerous to be approached! Therefore, be graceful. After ascertaining about right and wrong, let appropriate punishment be ordered to the envoy."
vibhiiShaNavachaH shrutvaa raavaNo raakShaseshvaraH |
roSheNa mahataaviShTo vaakyamuttaramabraviit || 5-52-10
10. shrutvaa = hearing; vibhiiSaNa vachaH = the words of Vibhishana; raavaNaH = Ravana; raakSaseshvaraH = the lord of demons; aaviSTaH mahataa roSeNa = was enveloped by a great anger; abraviit = and spoke; vaakyam = (the following) words; uttaran = in reply.
Hearing the words of Vibhishana, Ravana the lord of demons was greatly enraged and replied in the following words:
na paapaanaam vadhe paapam vidyate shatrusuudana |
tasmaadenam vadhiShyaami vaanaram paapachaariNam || 5-52-11
11. shatru suudana = O annihilator of enemies!; na vidyate paapam = there is no sin; vadhe = in killing; paapaanaam = of sinners; tasmaat = therefore; vadhiSyaami = I shall kill; enam = this; vaanaram = monkey; paapachaariNam = who performed sins.
"O Vibhishana, the annihilator of enemies! There is no sin, even if the sinners are killed. So, I shall kill this monkey, who performed sins."
adharmamuulam bahudoShayukta |
manaaryajuShTam vachanam nishamya |
uvaacha vaakyam paramaarthatattvam |
vibhiiShaNo buddhimataam variShThaH || 5-52-12
12. nishamya = hearing; vachanam = those words; adharma muulam = rooted in unrighteousness; bahuroSayuktam = accompanied by a great enragement; anaarya juSTam = and practised by the dishonourable; vibhiiSaNaH = Vibhishana; variSThaH = the best buddhimataam = among those who were endowed iwht understanding; uvaacha = spoke; vaakyam = ( the following) words; paramaarthatattvam = comprising of the highest truth.
Hearing those words, rooted in unrighteousness, enveloped in a great anger and accepted by the dishonourable, Vibhishana the best among those who weer endowed with understanding, spoke the following words, comprising of the highest truth.
prasiida laN^keshvara raakShasendra |
dharmaarthayuktam vachanam shR^iNuShva |
duutaanavadhyaan samayeShu raajan |
sarveShu sarvatra vadanti santaH || 5-52-13
13. raakSasendra = O king of demons!; laN^keshwara = O Lord of Lanka!; prasiida = be gracious enough!; shruNuSva = hear; vachanam = my words; dharmaarthayuktam = endowed with righteousness and significance; raajan = O king; santah = sages; vadanti = say; duutaan = that envoys; avadhyaan = are not to be killed; sarveSu samayeSu = at all times; sarvatra = and at all places.
"O king of demons! O lord of Lanka! Be gracious enough. Hear my words endowed with righteousness and significance. O king! Sages say that messengers should not be killed at all places and at all times."
asa.nshayam shatruH ayam pravR^iddhaH |
kR^itam hi anena apriyam aprameyam |
na duuta vadhyaam pravadanti santo |
duutasya dR^iShTaa bahavo hi daNDaaH || 5-52-14
14. asamshayam = there is no doubt; ayam shatruH = this enemy; pravR^iddhaH = is arrogant; aprameyam = an unlimited; apriyam = displeasure; kR^itam hi = has indeed been done; anena = by him; santaH = sages; na pravadanti = do not speak; duuta vadhyaam = about the killing of an envoy; bahavaH = many; daN^DaaH = punishments; dR^iSTaaH hi = are indeed indentified; duutasya = for an envoy.
"There is no doubt that this enemy is arrogant. He has created an unlimited displeasure to us. But, sages do not talk about the killing of an envoy There are indeed severeal punishments, intended for an envoy."
vairuupyaam angeShu kasha abhighaato |
mauNDyam tathaa lakShmaNa samnipaataH |
etaan hi duute pravadanti daNDaan |
vadhaH tu duutasya na naH shruto api || 5-52-15
15. vairuupyam = deforming; aN^geSu = the limbs; kashaabhighaataH = striking with a whip; mauN^Dyam = shaving the head; tathaa = ad; lakSaNa sannipaataH = impressing marks on the body; pravadanti = (they) say; etaan = these; daN^Daan = to be the punishments; duute = for the envoys; naasti = It is not; shrutaH = heard; naH = by us; vadhastu = about the killing; duutasya = of a messenger.
"Some of the punishments to an envoy are-deforming the limbs, striking with a whip, shaving the head and impressing marks on the body. Indeed, we have not heard at any time of killing a messenger."
katham ca dharma artha viniita buddhiH |
para avara pratyaya nishcita arthaH |
bhavat vidhaH kopa vashe hi tiShThet |
kopam niyacchhanti hi sattvavantaH || 5-52-16
16. katham = how; bavadvidhaH = can a person like you; dharmaartha viniita buddhiH = holding an intellect trained in religious merit and purpose; paraavara pratyayanishchitaarthaH = and who has a right judgement over cause and effect; tiSThet = abide; kopavashe = in subjection of anger; sattvantaH = wise persons; niyachchhantihi = indeed contain; kopam = their anger.
"How can a person like you, holding an intellect trained in religious merit and purpose and a right judgement on cause and effect, subject to anger? Wise people indeed contain their anger."
na dharma vaade na ca loka vR^itte |
na shaastra buddhi grahaNeShu vaa api |
vidyeta kashcit tava viira tulyaH |
tvam hi uttamaH sarva sura asuraaNaam || 5-52-17
17. viira = O hero!; na vidyeta = there is none; tulyaH = equal; tava = to you; dharma vaade = who can discuss about the law or duty; na = none; loka vR^itte = about universal custom; na = and none; shaastra buddhi grahaNeSu = in capturing the essence of scriptures; tvam = you; uttamaH hi = are indeed excellent; sarva suraasuraaNaam = among all the celestials and demons (in these matters).
"O hero! There is no one equal to you, who can discuss about the law or duty, none about universal custom and none in capturing the essence of scriptures. You are indeed excellent among all the celestials and demons in these matter."
shuureNa viireNa nishaacharendra |
suraasuraaNaamapi durjayena |
tvayaa pragalbhaaH suradaityasamghaa |
jitaashcha yuddheShvasakR^innarendraaH || 5-52-18
18. nishaacharendra = O king of demons!; shuureNa = you are valiant; viireNa = you are heroic; tvayaa = by you; durjayena = who cannot be conquered; suraasuraaNaamapi = even by celestials and demons; pragalbhaaH = proud; suradaitya samghaaH = multitude of celestials and demons; narendraaH = together with their kings; jiteshcha = were conquered; yuddheSu = in battles; asakR^it = several times.
"O king of demons! You are valiant. You are heroic. Even celestials and demons cannot conquer you. You conquered a multitude of proud celestials and demons together with their kings in battles several times"
na ca api asya kapeH ghaate ka.ncit pashyaami aham guNam |
teShv ayam paatyataam daNDo yaiH ayam preShitaH kapiH || 5-52-19
19. aham = I; na pashyaami = do not see; kamchit guNam = any merit; ghaate = in killing; asya = this; kapeH = monkey; ayam daN^DaH = let this punishment; paatyataam = be employed; teSu = on those; yaiH = by whom; ayam kapiH = this monkey; preSitaH = was sent.
"I do not see any merit in killing this monkey. Let this carnal punishment be employed on those by whom this monkey was sent."
saadhuH vaa yadi vaa asaadhuH paraiH eSha samarpitaH |
bruvan para artham paravaan na duuto vadham arhati || 5-52-20
20. eSaH = He; samarpitH = is a person sent; paraiH = by our enemies; saadhurvaa = or bad; na arhati = It is not worthy; vadham = of killing; duutaH = him who is a messenger; paravaan = who is dependent on others; bruvan = and who talks; paraartham = for the cause of others.
"He is a person, sent by our enemies, whether he is good or bad. It is not worthy of killing him, who is an envoy, who is dependent on others and who talks for the cause of others."
api ca asmin hate raajan na anyam pashyaami khe caram |
iha yaH punaH aagacchhet param paaram mahaaudadhiH || 5-52-21
21. raajaa = O king!; apicha = moreover; asmin = (If) he; hate = is killed; na pashyaami = I do not find; anyam = any other person; yaH khecharam = who can travel through sky; aagachchhet = and come; iha = here; punaH = again; param paaram = to this shore; mahodadhe = of the great ocen.
"O king! Moreover, If he is killed, I do not find any other person, who can travel through the sky and come here again to this shore of the great ocean."
tasmaan na asya vadhe yatnaH kaaryaH para puram jaya |
bhavaan sa indreShu deveShu yatnam aasthaatum arhati || 5-52-22
22. para puramjaya = O conqueror of enemies!; tasmaat = therefore; na kaaryaH yatnaH = do not make effort; vadhe = to kill; asya = him; bhavaan = you; arhasi = ought; aasthaatum = to strengthen; yatnam = your effort; deveSu = on celestials; sendreSu = including Indra.
"O conqueror of enemies! Therefore, do not make efforts to kill him. On the other hand, you ought to strengthen such effort on celestials including indra."
asmin vinaShTe na hi duutam anyam |
pashyaami yaH tau nara raaja putrau |
yuddhaaya yuddha priya durviniitaav |
udyojayet diirgha patha avaruddhau || 5-52-23
23. yuddhapriya = O Ravana; fond of war!; asmin vinaSTe = If he is dead; na pashyaami hi = I do not indeed find; anyam = another; viiram = her; yaH = who; udyojayet = can incite; tau nara raajaputrau = those princes; durviniitaa = who are arrogant; diirgha pathaavaruddhau = and who are hindered by a long distance; yuddhaa ya = for war.
"O Ravana, who is fond of war! If he is dead, I do not find any other hero, who can incite those two arrogant princes, who are hindered by a long distance, for war."
paraakrama utsaaha manasvinaam ca |
sura asuraaNaam api durjayena |
tvayaa mano nandana nairR^itaanaam |
yuddha aayatiH naashayitum na yuktaa || 5-52-24
24. manonandana = O Ravana who can gladden the hearts; nairR^itaanaam = of demons!; tvayaa = by you; durjayena = who are difficult to be conquered; suraasuraaNaamapi = by even celestials and demons; paraakramat saaha manasvinaam = having prowess; energy and courage; na yuktaa = it is not proper; naashayitum = to eliminate; yuddhaayatiH = an arrival of war.
"O Ravana who can gladden the hearts of demons! It is not proper for you, who are difficult to be conquered by even celestials and demons having sufficient prowess energy and courage, to crush the arrival of a war."
hitaaH ca shuuraaH ca samaahitaaH ca |
kuleShu jaataaH ca mahaaguNeShu |
manasvinaH shastrabhR^itaam variShThaaH |
koTi agra shaste subhR^itaaH ca yodhaaH || 5-52-25
25. koTyagrataH = (There are) more than a crore; yodhaaH = of warriors; subhR^itaashcha = well-maintained; te hitaashcha = and who desire your welfare; shuuraashcha = valiant ones; samaahitaashcha = mahaaguNeSu = who have colossal merits;; jaataaH = who were born; kuleSu = in a good tribe; manasvinaH = who are n high spirits; variSThaaH = excellent ones; shastra bhR^itaam = among wielders of weapons.
"There are more than a crore of valiant warriors in your charge, well-maintained, who desire your welfare, quite devoted, having colossal merits, born in a good tribe, holding high spirits and excellent wielders of weapons."
tat eka deshena balasya taavat |
kecit tava aadesha kR^ito apayaantu |
tau raaja putrau vinigR^ihya muuDhau |
pareShu te bhaavayitum prabhaavam || 5-52-26
26. tat = therefore; kechit = some; tava aadesha kR^itaH = who follow your command; abhiyaantu = go; ekadeshena = with a portion; balasya = of your army; vinigR^ihya = subjugating; tau = those; muuDhyau raajaputrau = two stupid princes; bhaavayitum = and to protect; te = your; prabhaavam = power; pareSu = on the enemies.
"Therefore, let some who follow your command, by talking a portion of your army, subjugate those two stupid princes, in order to make your power known to your adversaries."
jagraaha buddhyaa suralokashatru |
rmahaabalo raakShasaraajamukhyaH || 5-52-27
27. mahaabalaH = the mighty; raakSasaraaja mukhyaH = and eminent king of demons; adhipaH = the lord; nishaacharaaNaam = of ogres; suralokashatruH = and the adversary of the world of celestials; jagraaha = understood; iSTam = the cherished; uttam vaakyam = and excellent message; amyasya vibhiiSaNasya = of Vibhishana his brother; buddhyaa = with his presence of mind.
Ravana, the mighty and the eminent king of demons as also the lord of ogres and the adversary of the world of celestials, understood the cherished and excellent message of Vibhishana his brother with his due presence of mind."
- - -
ityaarShe shriimadraamaayaNe aadikaavye sundarakaaNDe dvipaJNchaashaH sargaH
|Top of Page||1||2||3||4|
© February, 2006, K. M. K. Murthy
Further info on
Fastest FTP on the planet Go FTP FREE Program