As instructed by Ravana, Prahasta his chief minister inquires of Hanuma as to who he was and also his motive in destroying the pleasure-garden as also killing the demons. In reply, Hanuma says that he destroyed the pleasure-garden in order that he might be taken captive and dragged to the presence of Ravana, whom he was eager to see and was forced in self-defense to kill those who stood in his way. Finally, he declares himself to be a messenger of Rama and adds that, though he was incapable of being bound by a missile presided over by Brahma, he surrendered to it only in order to see Ravana in person.
तम् उद्वीक्ष्य महाबाहुः पिन्ग अक्षम् पुरतः स्थितम् |
रोषेण महता आविष्टो रावणो लोक रावणः || ५-५०-१
स राजा रोष ताम्र अक्षः प्रहस्तम् मन्त्रि सत्तमम् |
1. saH raavaNaH = That Ravana; mahaabaahuH = the long armed; lokaraavaNaH = who causes the people to cry; udviikSya = looking up; tam piN^gaakSam = at that mokey; sthitam = standing; purataH = in front of him; mahataa kopena aaviSTah = affected with violent anger; shaN^kaahR^itmaa = with his mind seized with suspicion; dadhyau = speenlated; kapiindram = about Hanuma the formost of monkeys; aavR^itam = who was invested; tejasaa = with splendour.
That Ravana, the long-armed, who caused people to cry, looking up at that monkey standing in front of him, was affected with violent anger, having his mind seized with suspicion, speculated (as follows) about Hanuma, the jewel among the monkeys, who was invested with splendour.
किमेष भगवान्नन्दी भवेत्साक्षादिहागतः || ५-५०-२
येन शप्तोऽस्मि कैलासे मया संचालिते पुरा |
सोऽयम् वानरमूर्तिः स्यात्किंस्विद्बाणो महासुरः || ५-५०-३
2; 3. Kailaase = (when) Mount Kailasa; samchaalite = was moved; mayaa = by me; kim bhavet = whether (he is); saakSaat = actually; bhagavaan = the divine; nandii = bull; aagataH = who came; iha = here; yena = and by whom; shaptaH asmin = I was cursed; puraa = long ago; saH ayam = or he; syaat kim svit = in whether; mahaasuraH baaNaH = the great demon named Bana; vaanara muurtiH = in the form of a monkey.
"When Mount Kailasa was moved by me, is it the same Nandi the divine bull (attendant of Siva) which cursed me long ago and came here now in this form or whether he is Bana the great demon (son of Bali) came here in the form of a monkey."
स राजा रोषताम्राक्षः प्रहस्तम् मन्त्रिसत्तमम् |
काल युक्तम् उवाच इदम् वचो विपुलम् अर्थवत् || ५-५०-४
4. saH raajaa = that king; roSa taam raakSaH = enraged with red-hot eyes; uvaacha = spoke; idam vachaH = these words; kaalavat = connected with that time; arthavat = meaningful; avipulam = and concise; prahastam = to Prahasta; mantrisattaamam = his chief of ministers.
That king Ravana, becoming enraged with red hot eyes, spoke the following concise and meaningful words relevant to that occasion, to Prahasta, his chief of ministers.
दुरात्मा पृच्छ्यताम् एष कुतः किम् वा अस्य कारणम् |
वन भन्गे च को अस्य अर्थो राक्षसीनाम् च तर्जने || ५-५०-५
5. pR^ichchhyataam eSaH duraatmaa = let this wicked one be asked; kutaH = from where did he come; kim kaaaNam = for what reason; atra = at this place; kaH arthaH = and for what purpose; asya = for him; tarjane = to frighten; raakSasiinaam = the female-demons; vana bhaNgecha = in destroying the garden.
"Ask this wicked monkey from where did he come, for what reason did he come to this place and for what purpose did he frighten the female-demons in destroying our garden."
मत्पुरीमप्रधृष्याम् वागमने किं प्रयोजनम् |
आयोधने वाकिं कार्यम् पृच्छ्यतामेष दुर्मतिः ||५-५०-६
6. pR^ichchhyataam eSaH durmatiH = let this evil-minded monkey be asked; kim prayojanam = on what purpose; aagamane = in coming; matpuriim = to my City; apradhR^iSyaam = which is invincible; kim kaaryam = and on what pursuit; aayodhanevaa = in doing the battle.
"Ask this evil-minded monkey as to what really is his purpose in coming over to my invincible City and what pursuit he is doing this battle."
रावणस्य वचः श्रुत्वा प्रहस्तो वाक्यम् अब्रवीत् |
समाश्वसिहि भद्रम् ते न भीः कार्या त्वया कपे || ५-५०-७
7. shrutvaa = hearing; vachaH = the words; raavaNasya = of Ravana; prahastaH = Prahasta; abraviit = spoke; vaakyam = (the following) words (to Hanuma); samaashvasihi = take courage!; bhadram te = Happiness to you!; bhiiH na kaaryaa = not to be frightened; tvayaa = by you!; kape = O monkey.
Hearing the words of Ravana, Prahasta spoke the following words to Hanuma, "Take courage! Happiness to you! You need not get frightened, O monkey!"
यदि तावत् त्वम् इन्द्रेण प्रेषितो रावण आलयम् |
तत्त्वम् आख्याहि मा ते भूत् भयम् वानर मोक्ष्यसे || ५-५०-८
8. vaanara = O monkey!; tvam preSitaH yadi taavat = If you are sent; indreNa = by Indra; raavaNaalayam = to the abode of Ravana; aakhyaahi = tell (me); tattvam = the truth; maa bhuut = let there not be; bhayam = fear; te = for you; mokSyase = you will be released.
"O monkey! If Indra has sent you to the abode of Ravana, tell me the truth. Do not have fear. You will be released."
यदि वैश्रवणस्य त्वम् यमस्य वरुणस्य च |
चारु रूपम् इदम् कृत्वा ओरवुष्टो नः पुरीमिमाम् || ५-५०-९
विष्णुना प्रेषितो वा अपि दूतो विजय कान्क्षिणा |
9. tvam = you; praviSTaH = the one who has entered; imam purim = this city; naH = of ours; kR^itvaa = assuming; idam = this; chaararuupam = guise of a spy; tvam = (are) you; vaishrvaNasya = belonging to Kubera the lord of riches; yamasya = or belonging to Yama the god of death; varuNasya = or belonging to Varuna the Lord of the sea; preSitovaapi yadi = or whether sent; viSnunaa = by Vishnu; the lord of preservation; duutaH = as a messenger; vijayakaamkSiNaa = longing for a victory?
"Are you, the one who has entered our city, assuming the guise of a spy, sent by Kubera the god of riches or by Yama the god of death or by Varuna the lord of the sea or whether sent by Vishnu the lord of preservation, as a messenger, longing for a victory?"
न हि ते वानरम् तेजो रूप मात्रम् तु वानरम् || ५-५०-१०
तत्त्वतः कथयस्व अद्य ततो वानर मोक्ष्यसे |
10. vaanara = O monkey!; te = your; ruupamadtramtu = form alone; vaanaram = (is that of) a monkey; tejaH = (your) splendour; na hi = is not indeed; vaanaram = that of a monkey; adya = Now; kathayasva = tell (me); tattvataH = actually; mokSase = you will be released; tataH = thereafter.
"O monkey! Your form alone is that of a monkey. Your splendour indeed is not that of a monkey. Now, tell me the truth. Thereupon, you will be released."
अनृतम् वदतः च अपि दुर्लभम् तव जीवितम् || ५-५०-११
अथवा यन् निमित्तः ते प्रवेशो रावण आलये |
11. tava vadataH = If you tell; anR^itam = a lie; jiivitam = your survival; durlabham = will be difficult; athavaa = or (tell me); yannimittam = for what purpose; te praveshaH = is your entry; raavaNaalaye = into Ravana's abode."
"If you tell a lie, your survival will be difficult. Or else, tell me the purpose of your entry into Ravana's abode."
एवम् उक्तो हरि वरः तदा रक्षो गण ईश्वरम् || ५-५०-१२
अब्रवीन् न अस्मि शक्रस्य यमस्य वरुणस्य वा |
धनदेन न मे सख्यम् विष्णुना न अस्मि चोदितः || ५-५०-१३
जातिः एव मम तु एषा वानरो अहम् इह आगतः |
12; 13. evan = thus; uktaH = spoken; harishreSTaH = Hanuma the foremost of monkeys; tadaa = then; abraviit = spoke; rakSogaNeshvaram = to Ravana the Lord of demons; (as follows); naasmi = I am not (a messenger); shakrasya = of Indra; yamasya = or of Yama; varuNasye = or of Varuna; me = to me; na shakhyam = there is no friendship; dhanadena = with Kubera the god of riches; na = nor; choditaH = instigated; viSNunaa = by Vishnu; eSaa = this; mame eva = is just my; jaatiH = form of existence; aham = I; vaanaraH = am a monkey; aagataH = who came; iha = here.
Hearing the words of Prahasta, Hanuma spoke to Ravana the Lord of demons as follows, "I am not a messenger of Indra or Yama or Varuna. I have no friendship with Kubera the god of riches, nor am I instigated by Vishnu. This is just my form of existence, by my very birth. I am a monkey who came here."
दर्शने राक्षस इन्द्रस्य दुर्लभे तत् इदम् मया || ५-५०-१४
वनम् राक्षस राजस्य दर्शन अर्थे विनाशितम् |
14. darshane = the sight; raakSasendrasya = of the king of demons; durlabhe = difficult to be obtained; taidam = Intent on that; darshanaarthe = object of sight; raakSasaraajasya = of the king of demons; vanam = the garden; vinaashitam = was destroyed; mayaa = by me.
"The sight of Ravana the King of demons is difficult to be obtained. Intent on that object (of sight of Ravana), the garden was destroyed by me."
ततः ते राक्षसाः प्राप्ता बलिनो युद्ध कान्क्षिणः || ५-५०-१५
रक्षण अर्थम् च देहस्य प्रतियुद्धा मया रणे |
15. te balinaH raakSasaaH = those strong demons; tataH = then; praaptaaH = came; yuddha kaaN^kSiNah = with a desire to fight; rakSaNaartham tu = for the protection; dehasya = of my body; pratiyuddhaaH = they were attacked; raNe = in battle; mayaa = by me.
"Then, those strong demons came with a desire to fight with me. Just for protecting my body, I had to attack them in battle."
अस्त्र पाशैः न शक्यो अहम् बद्धुम् देव असुरैः अपि || ५-५०-१६
पितामहात् एव वरो मम अपि एषो अभ्युपागतः |
16. aham = I; na shakyaH = am incapable; baddhum = of being bound; astrapaashaiH = by missiles and nooses; devaasurairapi = even by celestials and demons; eSaH varaH = this boon; abhyupaagataH = came; mamaapi = to me too; pitaamahaadeva = from Brahma only.
"I am incapable of being bound by missiles and nooses even by celestials and demons. This boon came to me also from Brahama only."
राजानम् द्रष्टु कामेन मया अस्त्रम् अनुवर्तितम् || ५-५०-१७
विमुक्तो अहम् अस्त्रेण राक्षसैः तु अतिपीडितः |
केवचिद्राजकार्येण सम्प्राप्तोऽस्मि तवान्तिकम् || ५-५०-१८
17; 18. mayaa = by me; draSTukaamena = with a desire to see; raajaanam = you the king; astram anuvartitam = the missile was obeyed; mayaa = by me; abhipiiDitaH tu = after being bound; raakSasaiH = by the demons; aham = I; vimuktohi = was indeed released; astreNa = from the missile; sampraaptaH asmi = I came; tava antikam = to your vicinity; kenachit raajakaaryeNa = on some king's duty.
With a desire to see you the king, I surrendered to the missile. Soon after bound by the demons, I was indeed released from the missile. I came to your presence, prompted by some mission of Rama."
दूतोऽहमिति विज्ञेयो राघवस्यामितौजसः |
श्रूयताम् चापि वचनम् मम पथ्यमिदम् प्रभो || ५-५०-१९
19. aham = I; vijNeyaH = am to be known; duutaaH iti = as a messenger; raaghavasya = of Rama; amitoujasaH = possessing an unlimited splendour; prabho = O Lord of demons!; idam = let this; pathyam = beneficial; mama vachaam = word of mine; shruujataam cha = be heard (by you).
"O, Lord of demons! Know me to be a messenger of Rama who is possessing I am unlimited splendour. I am telling you a beneficial word. Listen to it."
- - -
इत्यार्षे श्रीमद्रामायणे आदिकाव्ये सुन्दरकाण्डे पङ्चाशः सर्गः
|Top of Page||1||2||3||4|
© December, 2005, K. M. K. Murthy