Ravana calls Indrajit and asks him to go for a battle against Hanuma. Indrajit wielding a colourful bow quickly in a chariot to face Hanuma in combat. The arrows discharged by Indrajit are made ineffective by Hanuma, through his peculiar skill of maneuvering them like a wind-god. Realizing that Hanuma cannot be slain, Indrajit merely takes him captive by discharging the unfailing missile presided over by Brahma, the creator. Hanuma falls on the ground motionless. The demons tie him with ropes and drag him to the presence of Ravana. Hanuma yields to their operation of capture, even though capable of aborting it, eager as he was to meet Ravana.
tatastu rakShodhitirmahaatma |
hanuumataakShe nihate kumaare |
manaH samaadhaaya sa devakalpam |
samaadideshendrajitam saroShaH || 5-48-1
1. tataH = thereafter; saH = that; mahaatmaa = the high-minded; rakSodhipatiH = Ravana the king of the demons; kumaare = (when) his son; akSe = Aksha; nihate = having been killed; hanuumataa = by Hanuma; saroSaH = full of anger; samaadhaaya = yet reconciling; maraaH = his mind; samaadidesha = instructed; indrajit = Indrajit; devakalpam = possessing the qualities of a god.
Filled with anger on his son Aksha having been killed by Hanuma, yet reconciling his mind, the high-minded Ravana the king of demons for his part then instructed Indrajit (his eldest son) possessing the qualities of god (as follows):
tvamastravichchhastravidaam variShThaH |
suraasuraaNaamapi shokadaataa |
sureShu sendreShu cha dR^iShTakarmaa |
pitaamahaaraadhanasa.nchitaastraH || 5-48-2
2. tvam = you; astravit = are acquainted with mystic missiles; variSThaH = you are the foremost; shastravidaam = among those who are conversant with weapons; shokadaataa = you are giver of grief; suraasuraaNaamapi = even to celestials and demons; dR^iSTakarmaa = whose actions are seen; sureSu = by celestials; sendreSu = along with Indra; pitaa mahaaraadhanasamchitaastraH = having missiles acquired by propitiating Brahma the creator.
"You are well acquainted with mystic missiles. You are the foremost among those who are conversant with weapons. You cause anguish even to celestials and demons. Indra and other celestials perceived your performance with your missiles acquired by propitiating Brahma the creator."
tavaastrabalamaasaadya sasuraaH samarudgaNaaH |
na shekuH samare sthaatum sureshvarasamaashritaaH || 5-48-3
3. sasuraaH = accompanied by celestials; samarudgaNaaH = together with troops of storm-gods; sureshvara samaashritaaH = joining Indra the Lord of celestials; nashekuH = were not able; sthaatum = to endure; samare = in battle; aasaadya = encountering; tava = your; astrabalam = strength of missiles.
"Celestials together with troops of storm-gods joining Indra the lord of celestials were not able to endure the strength of your missiles in battle."
na kashchittriShu lokeShu samyuge na gatashramaH |
bhujaviiryaabhiguptashcha tapasaa chaabhirakShitaH || 5-48-4
deshakaalavibhaagajJNastvameva matisattamaH |
4. na kashchit = no one; triSu lokeSu = in the three worlds; na gatashramaH = was not without a fatigue; samyuge = in the battle (against you); tvameva = you by yourself; matisattamaH = with a great intellect; bhujaviirya = and with strong arms; abhiguptashcha = are protected; abhirakSitaH = you are even protected; tapasaa = by penance; deshkaalavibhaagaJNaH = you are aware of apportioning place and time.
"In a battle against you, every one in the three worlds gets exhausted. You are protected yourself by your great intellect and strong arms. You are guarded by your penance. You are aware of apportioning place and time properly."
na te.astyashakyam samareShu karmaNaa |
na te.astyakaaryam matipuurvamantraNe |
na so.asti kashchittriShu samgraheShu vai |
na veda yaste.astrabalam balam cha te || 5-48-5
5. naasti = there is nothing; ashakyam = impossible; te = for you; karmaNaa = in acts; samareSu = of war; naasti = there is nothing; akaaryam = impossible to be done; te = by you; mati puurva mantraNe = with your no one whosoever; yaH = who; na veda = does not know; te = your; astrabalam = force of the missiles; te balamcha = and your (physical) strength; triSu samgraheSu = in the three worlds.
"There is nothing impossible for you in your acts of war. With your purposeful thinking, everything is possible for you. There is none in the three worlds, who does not know the force of missiles as also your (physical) strength."
mamaanuruupam tapaso balam cha te |
paraakramashchaastrabalam cha samyuge |
na tvaam samaasaadya raNaavamarde |
manaH shramaM gachchhati nishchitaartham || 5-48-6
6. balam = the strength; te tapasaH = of your penance; anuruupam = is like that of; mama = me; paraakramashcha balam cha = as also your prowess and strength; samyuge = in battle; samaasaadya = admitting; tvaam = you; raNaavamarde = in the squeeze of battle; manaH = my mind; na gachchhati = does not get; shramam = weariness; nishchita artham = because of reassurance.
"The strength of your penance as also your prowess and strength in battle resemble mine. Admitting you in the squeeze of battle, my mind does not get fatigues because of the re-assurance."
nihataaH kimkaraaH sarve jambumaalii cha raakShasaH |
amaatyaputraa viiraashcha paJNcha senaagrayaayinaH || 5-48-7
balaani susamR^iddhaani saashvanaagarathaani cha |
7. sarve = all; kimkaraaH = Kimkaras; raakSasashcha = a demon; jambumaalii = called Jambumali; viiraaH = the heroic; amaatya putraaH = sons of ministers; paN^cha = the fire; senaagra yaayinaH = chiefs of army; nihataaH = have been killed; balaanicha = as also the army; susamR^iddhaani saashvanaaga rathaam cha = along with highly abundant number of horses; elephants and chariots.
"All the Kimkaras, a demon called Jambumali, the heroic sons of ministers and the five chiefs of army have been killed, as also the army together with highly abundant number of horses, elephants and chariots."
sahodaraste dayitaH kumaaro.akShashcha suuditaH || 5-48-8
na hi teShveva me saaro yastva yyariniShuudana |
8. te = your; dayitaH = beloved; sahodaraH = brother; kumaarah akSashcha = Aksha the prince also; suuditaH = has been killled; arniSUdana = O annihilator of enemies!; saaraH = the strength; yaH = which; me = is in me; tvayi = and you; nahi = is indeed not there; teSveva = in them at all.
"Your beloved brother Aksha the prince also has been killed. O annihilator of enemies! The strength which is in me or in you, is indeed not there in them at all."
idam hi dR^iShTvaa matiman mahaadbalam |
kapeH prabhaavam cha paraakramam cha |
tvamaatmanashchaapi samiikShya saaraM |
kuruShva vegam svabalaanuruupam || 5-48-9
9. matiman = O intelligent one!; dR^iSTvaa = seeing; idam = this; mahat = great; balam = strength; prabhaavamcha = power; paraakramamcha = and power; kapeH = of the monkey; samiikSya = and keeping in view; aatmanaH = your; saaramchaapi = strength even; kuruSva = exhibit; vegam = your valour; svabalaanuruupam = according to your strength.
"O intelligent one! Seeing the great strength, power and prowess of this monkey and keeping in view your own strength, exhibit your valour accordingly."
balaavamardasvayi samnikR^iShTe |
yathaa gate shaamyati shaantashatrau |
tathaa samiikShyaatmabalam param cha |
samaarabhasvaastravidaam variShTha || 5-48-10
10. samiikSya = keeping in view; aatmabalam = your own strength; paramcha = and of the enemy; variSTha = O the foremost; astravidaam = among those employing missiles; samaarabhasva = exert yourself; yathaa tathaa = in such a way; balaavamardaH shaamyati = that (further) destruction of our army may stop; tvayi = (the moment) you; gate = (whose enemies) have died; tvayi = you; samnikR^iSTe = have arrived near Hanuma.
"Keeping in view your own strength and of the army, O the foremost among those employing missiles, exert yourself in such a way, that further destruction of our army may stop, the moment you, whose enemies have died, have arrived near Hanuma."
na viirasenaa gaNashochya (pya) vanti |
na vajramaadaaya vishaalasaaram |
na maarutasyaasya gateH pramaaNam |
na chaagnikalpaH karaNena hantum || 5-48-11
11. viira = O hero!; senaaH = the armies; na avanti = cannot protect you (before); gaNashochi = the shining monkey who is tormenting they demons; na = there is no use; aadaaya = taking; vajram = a weapon like the thunderbolt; visaala saaram = of an extensive power; na pramaaNam = there is no limit; gateH = to the strength; asya maarutasya = of Hanuma the son of wind-god; na = it is not possible; hantum = to kill; agnikalpaH; the one resembling fire; karaNena = by means of any weapon.
"O hero! The armies cannot protect you, even if they are in multitudes. There is no use taking a weapon like a strong thunder bolt against the monkey. There is no limit to the strength of Hanuma the son of wind-god. It is not possible to kill him, who resembles fire, by means of any weapon."
tamevamartham prasamiikShya samyak |
svakarmasaamyaaddhi samaahitaatma |
smara.nshcha divyam dhanuSho.astraviiryam |
vrajaakShatam karma samaarabhasva || 5-48-12
12. prasamiikSya = perceiving; samyak = well; tam eva artham = that fact thus; samaahitaatmaa = and with your mind composed by the thought; svakarma saamyaat = that success can be achieved by your own effort; smaramshcha = and remembering; astraviiryam = the strength of arrows; divyam dhanuSaH = of your wonderful bow; craja = go; samaarabhasva = and duly proceed; karma = with your work; akSatam = without any hindrance.
"Perceiving well the fact in this way and with your mind composed by the thought that success can be achieved by your own effort, and remembering the strength of arrows of your wonderful bow, go and duly proceed with your work, without any hindrance."
na khalviyam matiH shreShThaa yattvaam sampreShayaamyaham |
iyam cha raajadharmaaNaam kShatriyasya matirmataa || 5-48-13
13. iyam matiH = this thought; aham = (that) I; tvaam sampreSayaami itiyat = am sending you; nakhalu = is not indeed; shreSThaa = the best; iyam = this; mataa = is said to be; raajadharmaaNaam = the duties of a king; matiH = and is the commendation; kSatriyasya = of a warrior-class.
"This thought of my sending you is not indeed the best option. But, this decision is said to be according to the duties of a king and is the commendation of a warrior-class."
naanaashastreShu samgraame vaishaaradyamari.ndam |
avashyameva boddhavyam kaamyashcha vijayo raNe || 5-48-14
14. arimdama = O destroyer of enemies!; vaishaaradyam = the skill; boddhavyam = is to be learnt; avashyameva = surely; naanaashastreSu = in various kinds of weapons; samgraame = in battle; vijayashcha = victory too; kaamya = is to be aspired; raNe = in battle.
"O destroyer of enemies! You have to learn surely the skill to employ various weapons in battle. You have to aspire for a victory too in battle."
tataH pitustadvachanam nishamya |
pradakShiNam kakShasutaprabhaavaH |
chakaara bhartaaramadiinasattvo |
raNaaya viiraH pratipannabuddhiH || 5-48-15
15. tataH = then; nishamya = hearing; tatvachanam = that word; pituH = of his father; viiraH = the strong demon; Indrajit; dakSasuta prabhaavaH = having power similar to that of gods; adiina sattvaH = with an undepressed mind; pratipannabuddhiH = and with his intellect resolved; raNaaya = for the battle; pradakSiNam chakaara = performed a circumambulation; bhartaaram = around Ravana the lord.
Hearing the words of his father, Indrajit the strong demon, possessing a power similar to that of gods, with an undepressed mind and with his intellect resolved to fight, performed a circumambulation in honour of Ravana the lord.
tatasaiH svagaNairiShTairindrajit pratipuujitaH |
yaddhoddhataH kR^itotsaahaH samgraamam pratyapadyata || 5-48-16
16. pratipuujitaH = Acclaimed; taiH iSTaiH svagaNaiH = by the beloved people of his own class; indrajit = Indrajit; yuddhoddhataH = who was violent in battle; tataH = then; pratyapadyata = entered; samgraamam = the battle; kR^itotsaahaH = with an accomplished enthusiasm.
Acclaimed by the beloved people of his own class, Indrajit who was violent in battle then entered the battle-field with an accomplished enthusiasm.
shriimaan padmapalaashaakSho raakShasaadhipateH sutaH |
nirjagaama mahaatejaaH samudra iva parvasu || 5-48-17
17. raakSasaadhipateH sutaH = Indrajit the son of Ravana; shriimaan = the illustrious; padmapalaashaakSaH = having eyes similar to lotus-petals; mahaatejaaH = endowed with extra-ordinary energy; nirjagaama = rushed forth; samudraH iva = like an ocean; parvasu = on full moon days.
Indrajit, the illustrious son of Ravana, having eyes like lotus-petals and endowed with extra ordinary energy, rushed forth like an ocean on full-moon days.
sa pakShiraajopamatulyavegai |
rvyaaLaishchaturbhiH sitatiikShNadamShTraiH |
ratham samaayuktamasamgavegam |
samaarurohendrajidindrakalpaH || 5-48-18
18. saH indrajit = that Indrajit; indrakalpaH = equal to Indra the lord of celestials; samaaruroha = ascended; ratham = a chariot; asamga vegam = with unchecked swiftness; samaayuktam = and yoked; chaturbhiH = with four; vyaaLaiH = tigers; sita tiikSNa damSTraiH = having sharp teeth; pakSiraaja tulya vegaiH = having their swiftness equal to Garuda the king of eagles.
That Indrajit, alike Indra the lord of celestials, ascended a chariot with unchecked speed and yoked with four sharp-toothed tigers, having their swiftness similar to Garuda the king of eagles.
sa rathii dhanvinaam shreShThaH shastrajJNo.astravidaam varaH |
rathenaabhiyayau kShipram hanumaanyatra so.abhavat || 5-48-19
19. saH = that Indrajit; rathii = the chariot- warrior; shreSThahaH = the best; dhanvinaam = among the wielders of bow; shastrajJNaH = skilled in the use of weapons; varaH = and excellent; shatravidaam = among those proficient in the use of missiles; abhiyayau = went; shiighram = swiftly; rathen = in his chariot; yatra = to where; saH hanuman = that Hanuma; abhavat = was.
That Indrajit, the chariot-warrior, best among the wielders of bow, skilled in the use of weapons and excellent among those proficient in the use of missiles, went swiftly in his chariot to where Hanuma was.
sa tasya rathanirghoSham jyaasvanam kaarmukasya cha |
nishamya hariviiro.asau samprahR^ShTataro.abhavat || 5-48-20
20. nishamya = hearing; tasya rathanirghoSam = the rattling sound of his chariot; jyaasvanamcha = and a twang of bow-string; kaarmukasya = of his bow; asau hariviiraH = Hanuma; such a heroic monkey; abhavat = became; samprahR^iSTataraH = more thrilled with delight.
Hearing the rattling sound of Indrajit's chariot and a twang of his bow, the heroic Hanuma became more thrilled with delight.
sumahaacchaapamaadaaya shitashalyaa.nshcha saayakaan |
hanumantamabhipretya jagaama raNapaNDitaH || 5-48-21
21. raNapaN^DitaH = Indrajit; skilled in warfare; aadaaya = taking; sumahat = a very big; chaapam = bow; shita shalyaan saayakaan = with pointed arrows; jagaama = proceeded; abhipretya = aiming towards; hanumantam = Hanuma.
Indrajit, skilled in warfare, taking a very big bow with pointed arrows, went aiming towards Hanuma.
tasmi.nstataH samyati jaataharShe |
raNaaya nirgachchhati chaapapaaNau |
dishashcha sarvaaH kaluShaa babhuuvu |
rmR^igaashcha raudraa bahudhaa vineduH || 5-48-22
22. tataH = then; tasmin = that Indrajit; jaataharSe = rejoiced; samyati = in battle; nirgachchhati sati = was going ahead; raNaaya = to the combat; chaapapaaNau = with a bow in his hand; sarvaaH = all; dishaH = the quarters; babhuuvuH = became; kaluSaaH = gloomy; raudraaH = ferocious; mR^igaashcha = animals; vineduH = howled; bahudhaa = in many ways.
While that Indrajit who was energetic in battle, was going ahead to the combat, with a bow in his hand, all the quarters became gloomy and ferocious animals howled in many ways.
samaagataastatra tu naagayakShaa |
maharShayashchakracharaashcha siddhaaH |
nabhaH samaavR^itya cha pakShisamghaa |
vinedurucchaiH paramaprahR^iShTaaH || 5-48-23
23. naagayakSas = Nagas and Yakshas; chakracharaaH maharSaaH = great sages moving in astronomical circles; siddhaashcha = Siddhas; pakSisamghaaH = and a multitude of birds; nabhaH samaavR^itya = going round the sky; samaagataaH = gathered; tatra = there; vineduH = and clamoured; uchchhaiH = loudly; paramaprahR^iSTaaH = with a great rejoice.
Nagas and Yakshas, great sages moving in astronomical circles, Siddhas and a multitude of birds going around the sky, gathered there and clamoured loudly with a great rejoice.
aayaantam saratham dR^ShTvaa tuurNamandrijitam kapiH |
vinanaada mahaanaadam vyavardhata cha vegavaan || 5-48-24
24. dR^iSTvaa = seeing; indrajitam = Indrajit; aayaantam = coming; tuurNam = swiftly; saratham = with the chariot; kapiH = Hanuma; vinanaada = made a noise; mahaanaadam = with great resonance; vyavardhata cha = and grew up his body; vegavaan = speedily.
Seeing Indrajit coming swiftly with the chariot, Hanuma made a noise with great resonance and grew up his body speedily.
indrajittu ratham divyamaasthitashchitrakaarmukaH |
dhanurviShphaarayaamaasa taTiduurjitanissvanam || 5-48-25
25. aasthitaH = ascending; divyam rathan = on his wonderful chariot; chitrakaarmukaH = and wielding a colourful bow; indrajit tu = Indrajit; on his part; visphaarayaamaasa = stretched; dhanuH = his bow; taTiduurjitaniHsvanam = which made a glaring sound like that accompanying a stroke of lightning.
Ascending on his wonderful chariot and wielding a colourful bow, Indrajit on his part, stretched his bow, which made a glaring sound like that accompanying a stroke lightning.
tataH sametaavatitiikShNavegau |
mahaabalau tau raNanirvishaN^kau |
kapishcha rakShodhipatestanuujaH |
suraasurendraniva baddhavairau || 5-48-26
26. tataH = thereupon; tau = those (two warriors); kapishcha = Hanuma; tanuujaH = and the son; rakSodhipate = of Ravana; atitiikSNa vegau = possessing great velocity; mahaabalau = and a great strength; raNa nirvishaN^kau = fearless in combat; sametau = confronted in battle; suraasurendraaviva = like Indra the Lord of celestials and the lord of demons; baddhavairau = who tightened hostility with each other.
Those two warriors, Hanuma and Indrajit, possessing great velocity and a great strength as also fearless in combat, confronted in the battle like Indra the Lord of celestials and Ravana the Lord of demons who tightened hostility with each other.
sa tasya viirasya mahaarathasya |
dhanuShmataH samyati sammatasya |
sharapravegam vyahanatpravR^iddha |
shchachaara maarge pituraprameyaH || 5-48-27
27. saH = that Hanuma; aprameyaH = of immeasurable strength; pravR^iddhaH = having grown up his body; vyahavat = aborted; sharapravegam = the swiftness of arrows; tasya viirasya = of that Indrajit; mahaarathaH = the great chariot-warrior; dhanuSmataH = wielder of a bow; chachaara = (Hanuma) wheeled about; maarge = in the path; pituH = of his father; the wind-god.
Hanuma, of immeasurable strength, having expanded his body, aborted the swiftness of arrows of that Indrajit, the great chariot-warrior, the wielder of a bow and well-renowned in battle. Hanuma wheeled about in the path of wind-god, his father.
tataH shraanaayatatiikShNashalyaan |
supatriNaH kaaJNchanachitrapuN^khaan |
mumocha viiraH paraviirahantaa |
sunannataan vajranipaatavegaan || 5-48-28
28. tataH = then; viiraH = the heroic Indrajit; paraviirahantaa = the destroyer of strong enemies; mumocha. Discharged; sharaan = arrows; aayata tikSNa shalyaan = with long and sharp points; supatriNaH = having beautiful feathers; kaaN^chana chitrapuNJNaan = provided with picturesque golden shafts; susannataan = with good inclination; vajranipaata vegan = and swift as lightning.
Then, the heroic Indrajit, the destroyer of strong enemies, discharged long and sharp-pointed arrows, having beautiful feathers, provided with picturesque golden shafts, with good inclination and as swift as lightning.
tataH sa tatsyandananiHsvanam cha |
mR^idaN^gabheriipaTahasvanam cha |
vikR^iShyamaaNasya cha kaarmukasya |
nishamya ghoSham punarutpapaata || 5-48-29
29. tataH = then; nishamya = hearing; tatsyandananiHsvanamcha = the rattling sound of the chariot; mR^idaN^gabheriipaTaha svanamcha = and the sound of wooden tomtoms; kettledrums and war-drums; ghoSam = and the sound; kaarmukasya = of the bow-string; vikR^iSyamaaNasya = being plucked; saH = that Hanuma; utpapaata = sprang up; punaH = again.
Hearing the rattling sound of the chariot and the sound of wooden tomtoms, kettledrums and war-drums as also the sound of the bow-string being plucked, Hanuma sprang up again.
sharaaNaamantareShvaashu vyavartata mahaakapiH |
haristasyaabhilakShyasya moghayan lakShyasamgraham || 5-48-30
30. moghayan = making useless; lakSya samgraham = the totality of target; tasya = of Indrajit; abhilakSyasya = who was skilled in hitting his target; hariH = Hanuma; mahaakapiH = the great monkey; aashu = swiftly; vyavartata = wheeled about; antareSu = between; sharaaNaam = the arrows.
Making the total target of Indrajit who was skilled in hitting his target useless, Hanuma the great monkey swiftly wheeled about between the arrows.
sharaaNaamagratastasya punaH samabhivartata |
prasaarya hastau hanumaanutpapaataanilaatmajaH || 5-48-31
31. hanuman = Hanuma; anilaatmajaH = the son of wind-god; samabhivartata = stayed; agrataH = in front; tasya sharaaNaam = of his arrows; punaH = again; prasaarya = and stretching out; hastau = his hands; utpapaata = (he) sprang up.
Hanuma, the son of wind-god, again stayed in front of his arrows and stretching out his hands, sprang up.
taavubhau vegasampannau raNakarmavishaaradau |
sarvabhuutamanograahi chakraturyuddhamuttamam || 5-48-32
32. tau = ubhau = those two warriors; vegasampannau = full of swiftness; raNakarma vishaaradau = and skilled in warfare; chakratuH = staged; uttamam yuddham = an excellent battle; sarvabhuuta mano graahi = which captivated the minds of all beings.
Those two warriors, full of swiftness and skilled in their war-fare, staged an excellent battle, which captivated the minds of all beings.
hanumato veda na raakShaso.antram |
na maarutistasya mahaatmano.antaram |
parasparam nirviShahau babhuuvatuH |
sameta tau devasamaanavikramau || 5-48-33
33. raakSasaH = Indrajit; na veda = could not know; antaram = the weakness; tasya mahaatmanaH = the weakness of the high-minded Indrajit; tau = those two warriors; devasamaana vikramau = who were equal in prowess to gods; sametya = coming into collision; parasparam = with each other into; babhuuvatuH = became; nirviSahau = unbearable.
Indrajit could not know the weakness of Hanuma, nor did Hanuma know the weakness of high-minded Indrajit. Those two warriors, who were equal in prowess to gods, coming into collision with each other, became unbearable to each other.
tatastu lakShye sa vihanyamaane |
shareShvamogheShu cha saMpatatsu |
jagaama cintaam mahatiim mahaatmaa |
samaadhisamyogasamaahitaatmaa || 5-48-34
34. lakSye = the aim (of his arrows); vihanyamaane = getting aborted; amogheSushareSu = and (even) unfailing arrows; sampatatsu = falling down; sah = that Indrajit; mahaatmaa = the high-minded demon; samaadhisamyoga samaahitaatmaa = who was well known for hitting his target; jagaama = got; mahatiim = a great; chintaam = thought.
The aim of his arrows getting aborted and even his unfailing arrows falling down, the high-minded Indrajit, who was well-known for hitting his target, got hold of a great thought.
tato matim raakShasaraajasuunu |
shcakaara tasmin hariviiramukhye |
avadhyataam tasya kapeH samiikShya |
katham nigachchhediti nigrahaartham || 5-48-35
35. samiikSya = keeping in view; tasya kapeH = of that monkey; avadhyataam = being incapable of being slain; raakSasa raja suunuH = Indrajit; Ravana's son; tataH = then; chakaara = formed; matim = an idea; katham it = as to how; nigachchhet = to resort; nigrahaartham = to capture of; tasmin = that; hariviira mukhye = Hanuma; the chief of monkey-warriors.
Keeping in view of that monkey being incapable of being slain, Indrajit, Ravana's son then formed an idea as to how to resort to capture of that Hanuma the chief of monkey-warriors.
tataH paitaamaham viiraH so.astramastravidaam varaH |
sa.ndadhe sumahaatejaastam haripraaram prati || 5-48-36
36. saH = that Indrajit; viiraH = the warrior; varaH = excellent; astravidaam = among the knowers of missiles; sumahaatejaaH = and possessing a great splendor; tataH = then; samdadhe = fitted to his bow; astram = a missile; paitaamaham = presided over by Brahma; the creator.
That warrior, Indrajit, excellent among the knowers of missiles and possessing a great splendor, then fitted to his bow, a missile presided over by Brahma the creator.
avadhyo.ayamiti jJNaatvaa tamastreNaastratattvavit |
nijagraaha mahaabaahurmaarutaatmajamindrajit || 5-48-37
37. indrajit = Indrajit; astratattvavit = who knows the true nature of missiles; mahaabaahuH = and the long-armed; jJNaatvaa = feeling certain; iti = that; ayam = he; avadhyaH = was incapable of being killed; nijagraaha = bound; tam = that; maarutaatmajam = Hanuma the son of wind-god; astreNa = by that missile presided over by Brahama the creator.
Indrajit, who knows the true nature of missiles, feeling certain that he was incapable of being killed, bound that Hanuma, the son of wind-god, by that presided over by Brahma the creator.
tena baddhastato.astreNa raakShasena sa vaanaraH |
abhavannirvicheShTashcha papaata sa mahiitale || 5-48-38
38. tataH = then; baddhaH = fastened; astreNa = with the weapon; raakSasena = by the demon; saH vaanaraH = that Hanuma; abhavat = became; nirvicheSTaH = motionless; saH = He = papaata = fell; mahiitale = on the ground.
Fastened with the weapon discharged by the demon, Hanuma became motionless and fell down on the ground.
tato.atha buddhvaa sa tadastrabandham |
prabhoH prabhaavaadvigataatmavegaH |
vichintayaamaasa haripraviitaH || 5-48-39
39. atha = then; tataH = therefore; buddhvaa = realizing; tadastrabandham = that he had been bound by a missile; prabhoH prabhaavaat = presided over by Brahma the Lord (of creation); saH haripraviiraH = that Hanuma; vigataatma vegaH = failing to keep his swiftness; vichintayaamaasa = remembered; pitaamahaanugraham = about the favour of Brahma the Creator; aatmanaH = to him.
Realizing that he had been bound by a missile presided over by Brahma the Lord of creation that Hanuma failing to keep his swiftness, considered it to be a favour of Brahma the creator done to him.
tatah svaayambhuvairmanrairbrahmastramabhimantritam |
hanumaa.nshchintayaamaasa varadaanam pitaamahaat || 5-48-40
40. brahmaastram = (knowing it) to be missile presided over by Brahma the creator; abhimantram = and consecrated; mantraiH = by spells; svaayambhuvaiH = sacred to Brahma the creator; hanuman = Hanuma; tataH = then; chintayaamaasa = recollected; varadaanam = a boon got; pitaamahaat = by Lord Brahama; the grand-father of the entire creation.
Knowing it to be a missile presided over by Brahma the creator and consecrated by spells sacred to Brahma, the creator, Hanuma then recollected a boon got by Lord Brahma, the grand father of the entire creation.
na me.astrabandhasya cha shaktirasti |
mimokShaNe lokaguroH prabhaavaat |
ityeva matvaa vihito.astrabandho |
mayaatmayoneranuvartitavyaH || 5-48-41
41. me = to me; naasti = there is no; shaktiH = capacity; vimokSaNe = to liberate; astrabandhasya = of this bondage of the missile; prabhaavaat = due to the power; lokaguroH = of Brahma the father of the world; itvena = thus; matvaa = knowing; astrabandhaH = the bondage through the missile; aatma yoneH = presided over by Brahma; the self born creator; vihataH = imposed by the enemy; anuvartitavyaH = (it) must be obeyed; mayaa = by me.
"I have no capacity to liberate from the bondage of the missile due to the power of Brahma the father of the world. Thus knowing the bondage, through the missile presided over by Brahma the self-born creator imposed by the enemy, it must be obeyed by me."
sa viiryamastrasya kapirvichaarya |
vimokShashaktim parichintayitvaa |
pitaamaahaaJJnaamanuvartate sma || 5-48-42
42. vichaarya = thinking; viiryam = of the potency; astrasya = of the missile; pitaamaha anugrahamcha = and the grace of Brahma the grandfather of the entire creation enjoyed; aatmanaH = by him; parichintayitvaa = and thinking; vimokSashaktim = about his capacity to liberate from it (which was going to alight on him after a while); saH kapiH = that Hanuma; anuvartatesma = obeyed; pitaamahaaJNaam = the command of Brahma; the grandfather of the entire creation.
Thinking of the potency of the missile and the grace of Brahma, the grandfather of the entire creation enjoyed by him, and thinking about his capacity to liberate from it (which was going to alight on him after a while) that Hanuma obeyed the command of Brahma the grand father of the entire creation.
astreNaapi hi baddhasya bhayam mama na jaayate |
pitaamaham hendraabhyaam rakShitasyaanilena cha || 5-48-43
43. me = to me; rakSitasya = being protected; pitaamaha mahendraabhyaam = by Brahma; Indra; anilenacha = and the wind-god; bhayam = a fear; najaayate = does not arise; baddhasyaapi = eventhough fastened; astreNa = by the missile.
"Since I am being protected by Brahma, Indra and the wind-god, I do not have fear, eventhough I am fastened by the missile."
grahaNe chaapi rakShobhirmahanme guNadarshanam |
raakShasendreNa samvaadastasmaadgR^ihNantu maam pare || 5-48-44
44. me = to me; grahaNechaapi = even if captured; rakSobhiH = by the demons; mahat guNadarshanan = there will be a great advantage being foreseen; samvaadaH = there will be a dialogue; raakSasendreNa = with Ravana; tasmaat = therefore; pare = (let) the enemies; gR^ihNantu = capture; maam = me.
"Even if I were captured by the demons, a great advantage is foreseen. There will be a dialogue with Ravana. Therefore, let the enemies capture me."
sa nishchitaarthaH paraviirahantaa |
samiikShyakaarii vinivR^ittacheShTaH |
paraiH prasahyaabhigatairnigR^ihya |
nanaada taistaiH paribhartsyamaanaH || 5-48-45
45. saH = that Hanuma; paraviirahantaa = the destroyer of his enemies; samiiSya kaarii = and who acted after fully considering the pros and cons; nishchitaarthaH = ascertained his objective; vinivR^ittacheSTaH = and stayed motionless; abhigataiH = approached; nigR^ihya = and captured; prasahya = forcibly; paraiH taiHtaiH = by different enemies; paribhartasyamaanaH = and frightened by them; nanaada = he made a loud scream.
That Hanuma, the destroyer of enemies and who acted after fully considering the pros and cons, ascertained his objective and stayed motionless. Approached and captured forcibly by the enemies as also frightened by them, he made a loud scream.
tatastam raakShasaa dR^iShTvaa nirvicheShTamari.ndamam |
babandhuH shaNavalkaishcha drumachiiraishcha samhataiH || 5-48-46
46. dR^iSTvaa = seeing; taam = that Hanuma; arimdamam = the destroyer of enemies; nirvicheSTam = falling motionless; rakSasaaH = the demons; tatah = then; babandhuH = tied (him); samhataiH shaNavalkaishcha = with plaited chords of hemp; drumachiiraishcha = and bark of trees.
Seeing that Hanuma, the destroyer of enemies falling motionless, the demons then tied him with plaited chords of hemp and bark of trees.
sa rochayaamaasa paraishcha bandhanam |
prashya viirairabhinigraham cha |
kauruuhalaanmaam yadi raakShasendro |
draShTo vyavasyediti nishchitaarthaH || 5-48-47
47. saH = Hanuma; rochayaamaasa = approved prasahya = of being forcibly; bandhanam = bound; paraiH = by the enemies; abhinigrahancga = and reviled by them; iti nishchitaarthaH = with an assured feeling that; raakSasendraH = Ravana; vyavasyedyadi = might make an effort; draSTum = to see; maam = me; kantuuhalaat = by curiosity.
Hanuma approved of being forcibly bound and reviled by the enemies, with an assured feeling that Ravana was curious as he was, to see him.
sa baddhastena valkena vimukto.astreNa viiryavaan |
astrabandhaH sa chaanyam hi na bandhamanuvartate || 5-48-48
48. saH viiryavaan = that powerful Hanuma; baddhaH = tied; tena valkena = with those chords of hemp and bark; vimuktaH = was relieved; astreNa = of the missile; saH astrabandhaH = (since) the bondage of that missile; naanuvartate hi = does not indeed coexist; anyam bandham = with another bondage.
That powerful Hanuma, tied with those chords of hemp and bark, was relieved of the missile, since the bondage of that missile does not indeed coexist with another bondage.
athendrajittu drumachiirabaddham |
vichaarya viiraH kapisattamam tam |
vimuktamastreNa jagaama chintaam |
naanyena baddho hyanuvartate.astram || 5-48-49
49. vichaarya = conceiving; tam = that; kapisattmam = Hanuma the foremost among the monkeys; drumachiirabaddham = bound with the bark of trees; vimuktam = as having been relieved; astreNa = of the missile; viiraH = the heroic; indrajittu = Indrajit on his part; atha = then; jagaama = got hold of chintaam = a thought (as follows); baddhaH = a person tied; anyena = with other means; naanuvartate hi = cannot indeed be obliged; astram = by the missile.
Conceiving that Hanuma the foremost among the monkeys, bound with the bark of trees, as having been relieved of the missile, the heroic Indrajit, on his part, then became thoughtful as follows: "A person tied with other means cannot indeed be bound again by the missile."
aho mahatkarma kR^itam nirarthakam |
na raakShasairmantragatirvimR^iShTaa |
punasha mantre vihate.astramanya |
tpravartate sa.nshayitaaH sma sarve || 5-48-50
50. aho = alas!; mahat = a great; karma = exploit; kR^itam = as been made; nirarthakam = futile; mantragatiH = the scope of the mystic formula; na vimR^iSTaa = has not been considered; raakSasaiH = by the demons; mantre = once the spell; vihate = has been made ineffective; anyat = another; astram = missile; na pravartate = cannot be operative; sarve = all of us; sma = became; samshayitaah = jeopardised.
"Alas! My great exploit has been rendered futile. The scope of the mystic formula has not been considered by the demons. Once the spell has been made ineffective, another missile cannot be operative. All of us became jeopardized."
astreNa hanumaan mukto naatmaanamavabudhyata |
kR^iShyamaaNastu rakShobhistaishcha bandhairnipiiDitaH || 5-48-51
51. hanumaan = Hanuma; muktaH = liberated; astreNa = by the missile; kR^iSya maaNastu = being dragged away; rakSobhiH = by the demons; nipiiDitaH = and afflicted; bandhaiH = by the ties of ropes; na avabudhyata = could not perceive; aatmaanam = his own liberated from the missile.
Hanuma, liberated from the missile being dragged away by the demons and afflicted by the ties of ropes, could not realize that he was liberated from the missile.
hanyamaanastataH kruurai raakShasaiH kaaShThamuShTibhiH |
samiipe raakShasendrasya praakR^iShyata sa vaanaraH || 5-48-52
52. tataH = then; saH vaanaraH = that Hanuma; hanyamaanaH = being beaten; kaaSTha muSTibhiH = with sticks and fists; kruuraiH raakSasaiH = by the cruel demon; praakR^iSyata = was dragged; samiipam = to the vicinity; raakSasendrasya = of Ravana.
That Hanuma, then being beaten with sticks and fists by the cruel demons, was dragged to the vicinity of Ravana.
athendrajittam prasamiikShya mukta |
mastreNa baddham drumachiirasuutraiH |
vyadarshayattatra mahaabalam tam |
haripraviiram sagaNaaya raajJNe || 5-48-53
53. atha = then; prasamiikSya = considering; tam = that Hanuma; baddham = tied; drumachiira suutraiH = with barks of trees and ropes; muktam = (but_ liberated; astreNa = by the missile; indrajit = Indrajit; atha = thereupon; vyadarshayat = showed; tam mahaabalam = that mighty; haripraviiram = jewel among the monkeys; raajJNe = to the king; tatra = there; sagaNaaya = along with a body of his attendants.
Then, recognizing that Hanuma, tied with barks of trees and ropes, but liberated by the missile, Indrajit slowed that mighty Hanuma the jewel among the monkeys, to Ravana there sitting along with a body of his attendants.
tam mattamiva maataN^gam baddham kapivarottamam |
raakShasaa raakShasendraaya raavaNaaya nyavedayan || 5-48-54
54. raakSasaaH = the demon; nyavedayan = showed; raakSasendraaya raavaNaaya = to Ravana the king of demons; tam baddham = that captured Hanuma; kapivarottamam = the jewel among the foremost of monkeys; mattam maataN^gamiva = who was like an elephant in rut.
The demons showed to Ravana, the king of demons that captured Hanuma, the jewel among the foremost of monkeys who looked like an elephant in rut.
ko.ayam kasya kuto vaatra kim kaaryam ko vyapaashrayaH |
iti raakShasaviiraaNaam tatra samjjJNire katheH || 5-48-55
55. raakSasaviiraaNaam = from the heroic demons; sajajJNire = were generated; tatra = there; iti = (as follows); kaH = who; ayam = is this being; kasya = whose servant is he?; kim = what; kaaryam = is his pursuit?; kaH = who; vyapaashrayaH = is his ally?.
So went round the following conversations from the heroic demons there: "Who is this being? Whose savant is he? Where has he come from? What is his pursuit? Who is his alley?"
hanyataam dahyataam vaapi bhakShyataamiti chaapare |
raakShasaastatra samkruddhaaH parasparamathaabruvan || 5-48-56
56. atha = thereafter; apare = some; raakSasaaH = demons; samkruddhaaH = highly enraged; abruvat = said; parasparam = to one another; iti = as follows; hanyataam = let this monkey be killed; dahyataamchaapi = even roasted (alive); bhakSyataam = and devoured.
Thereafter, some demons, highly enraged, said to one another as follows: "Let this monkey be killed, even roasted alive and devoured."
attitya maargam sahasaa mahaatmaa |
sa tatra rakShodhipapaadamuule |
dadarsha raajJNaH parichaaravR^iddhaan |
gR^iham mahaaratnavibhuuShitam cha || 5-48-57
57. atiitya = after crossing over; maargam = the path; sahasaa = swiftly; saH mahaatmaa = that high-souled Hanuma; dadarsha = saw; tatra = there; gR^iham = the palace; raajJNaH = of Ravana; mahaaratna vibhuuSitam = decorated with highly precious stones; parichaara vR^iddaan = and his elderly attendants; rakSodhipa paadamuule = at the feet of Ravana.
After crossing over the path swiftly, the high-souled Hanuma saw there the palace of Ravana, decorated with highly precious stones and his elderly attendants sitting at the feet of Ravana.
sa dadarsha mahaatejaa raavaNaH kapisattamam |
rakShobhirvikR^itaakaaraiH kR^iShyamaaNamitastataH || 5-48-58
58. saH raavaNaH = that Ravana; mahaatejaaH = with a highly excited energy; dadarsha = saw; kapisattamam = Hanuma the foremost of monkeys; kR^iSya maaNam = being dragged; itastataH = hitter and thither; rakSobhiH = by demonsl; vikR^itaakaaraiH = of ugly countenance.
That Ravana, who was endowed with an extraordinary energy, saw Hanuma the foremost of monkeys, being dragged hither and thither by demons of ugly countenance.
raakShasaadhipatim chaapi dadarsha kapisattamaH |
tejobalasamaayuktam tapanta miva bhaaskaram || 5-48-59
59. kapisattamaH cha = Hanuma; the jewel among monkeys; too; dadarsha = saw; raakSasaadhipatum = Ravana the king of demons; tejobala samaayuktam = charged with luster and strength; tapantam = blazing; bhaaskaram iva = like the sun.
Hanuma the jewel among the monkeys also saw Ravana the king of demons, charged with luster and strength and blazing like the sun.
sa roShasamvartitataamradR^iShTi |
rdashaananastam kapimanvavekShya |
athopaviShTaan kulashiilavR^iddhan |
samaadishattam prati mantrimukhyaan || 5-48-60
60. saH dashaananaH = that Ravana; roSasamvartita taamradR^iSTiH = rolling his red-hot eyes with rage; anvakSya = by seeing; tam kapim = that Hanuma; atha = and thereafter; mantri mukhyaana = important ministers; kulashiila vR^iddhaan = who were elder by clan and character; upaviSTaan = sitting there; samaadishat = ordered; (to know); tam prati = about that Hanuma.
That Ravana, rolling his red-hot eyes with rage by seeing that Hanuma and thereafter seeing his important ministers who were elder to his by clan and character sitting there, ordered them to interrogate Hanuma.
yathaakramam taiH sa kapirvipR^iShTaH |
kaaryaarthamarthasya cha muulamaadau |
nivedayaamaasa hariishvarasya |
duutaH sakaashaadahamaagato.asmi || 5-48-61
61. vipR^iSTaH = questioned; yathaakramam = as per order; taiH = by those ministers; kaaryaartham = about the purpose of his operation; muulam = and the source; arthasya = of his act; saH kapiH = that Hanuma; nivedayaamaasa = informed; adau = at the outset; aagataH asmi = "I came; duutaH = harishvarasya sakaashaat = from the presence of Sugreeva.
Questioned, as per order, by those ministers as to the purpose of his operation and the motive of his act, that Hanuma at the outset informed, "I came from Sugreeva as an envoy."
- - -
ityaarShe shriimadraamaayaNe aadikaavye sundarakaaNDe aShTachatvaari.nshaH sargaH
|Top of Page||1||2||3||4|
© October, 2005, K. M. K. Murthy