After damaging the pleasure-grove and after killing the Kinkaras dispatched by Ravana, Hanuma thinks of destroying a sanctuary which is sacred to the guardian-deity of the demons. Hanuma ascends to the top of the sanctuary and after killing the guards posted there, shows his strength by clapping on his arms and by uttering the names of Rama, Lakshmana and Sugreeva in a roaring voice. Hanuma assumes a gigantic form and uplifting a pillar in that sanctuary, he speedily whirls it around and burns the sanctuary by producing a fire, created out of its friction with the other pillars.
tataH sa kimkaraan hatvaa hanuumaan dhyaanam aasthitaH |
vanam bhagnam mayaa caitya praasaado na vinaashitaH || 5-43-1
tasmaat praasaadam api evam imam vidhva.nsayaami aham |
iti sa.ncintya hanumaan manasaa darshayan balam || 5-43-2
caitya praasaadam aaplutya meru shR^ingam iva unnatam |
aaruroha hari shreShTho hanuumaan maaruta aatmajaH || 5-43-3
1. tataH = then; hattvaa = after killing; kimkaraan = the Kinkaras; saH hanumaan = that Hanuma; aasthitaH = was absorbed; dhyaanam = in thought (as follows); vanam = the grove; bhagnam = was damaged; mayaa = by me; chaitya praasaadaH = the lofty palatial mansion of the sanctuary (sacred to the guardian-deity of the demons); na vinaashitaH = has not been destroyed; tasmaat = for that reason; adya = now; aham = I; imam praasaadam vidhvamsayaami = will cause this mansion to crumble down; evam = in the same way; iti = thus; samchintya = thinking; manasaa = in his mind; hanumaan = Hanuma; harishreSThaH = the best among monkeys; maarutaatmajaH = the son of wind-god; hanumaan = and having large jaws; darshayan = showing; balam = his strength; utplutya = has bounced up; aaruroha = and ascended; chaitya praasaadam = the lofty palatial mansion of the sanctuary; unnatam = which was as high; merushR^Ngamiva = as a Meru mountain-top.
After killing the Kinkaras, that Hanuma thought to himself (as follows): "The grove was damaged by me. The lofty palatial mansion of the sanctuary (sacred to the guardian-deity of the demons) has not been destroyed. For that reason, I will cause this mansion to crumble down in the same way." Thus thinking himself, Hanuma the best among monkeys, son of the wind-god having large jaws, by showing his strength, bounced up and ascended the lofty palatial mansion of the sanctuary, which was as high as a mountain-top of Meru.
aaruhya girisamkaasham praasaadam hariyuuthapaH |
babhau sa sumahaatejaaH pratisuurya ivoditaH || 5-43-4
4. saH = that Hanuma; hariyuuthapaH = an army-chief of monkeys; sumahaatejaaH = having very great splendour; aaruhya = ascending; praasaadam = the lofty palatial mansion; girisamkaasham = equal to a mountain; babhou = shone; uditaH pratisuuryaH iva = like a second rising son.
That Hanuma, an army-chief of monkeys, possessing a very great splendour, ascending the lofty palatial mansion similar to a mountain shone like a second rising sun.
sampradhR^iShya ca durdharShaH caitya praasaadam unnatam |
hanuumaan prajvalaml lakShmyaa paariyaatraa upamo abhavat || 5-43-5
5. sampradhR^iSya cha = overpowring; uttamam chaitya praasaadam = the lofty palatial mansion of the sanctuary; durdharSam = which was inviolable; hanumaan = Hanuma; prajvalan = blazing lakSmyaa = with splendour; abhavat = metamorphosed into; paariyaatropamaH = (a towering sized) body equal to that of pariyatra mountain.
Overpowering the lofty and inviolable of the sanctuary, Hanuma blazing mansion his splendour, meta morposed into a towering sized body equal to that of Pariyatra mountain.
sa bhuutvaa tu mahaakaayo hanuumaan maaruta aatmajaH |
dhR^iShTam aasphoTayaamaasa lankaam shabdena puurayan || 5-43-6
6. bhuutvaa = becoming; sumahaakaayaH = one having a very big body; prabhaavaat = by dint of his distinction; maarutaatmajaH = Hanuma; aasphoTayaamaasa = clapped on his arms; dhR^iSTam = strongly; puurayan = filling; laNKaam = the city of Lanka; shabdena = with sound.
Enhancing his body to a very big size by dint of his distinction, Hanuma clapped on his arms strongly, filling the City of Lanka with sound.
tasya aasphoTita shabdena mahataa shrotra ghaatinaa |
peturvihaN^gamaastatra chaityapaalaashcha mohitaaH || 5-43-7
7. tasya mahataa asphoTita shabdena = by his great sound made by clapping on his arms; shrotraghaatinaa = which deafened the ears; vihaN^gamaaH = the birds; tatra = there; petuH = fell down; chaitya paalaashcha = the guards; protecting the sanctuary also; mohitaaH = (fell down) unconsciously.
By the great deafening noise, made by clapping on his arms, the birds and also the guards protecting the sanctuary unconsciously fell down.
astravijjayataam raamo lakShmaNaH ca mahaabalaH |
raajaa jayati sugriivo raaghavena abhipaalitaH || 5-43-8
daaso aham kosala indrasya raamasya akliShTa karmaNaH |
hanumaan shatru sainyaanaam nihantaa maaruta aatmajaH || 5-43-9
na raavaNa sahasram me yuddhe pratibalam bhavet |
shilaabhiH tu praharataH paadapaiH ca sahasrashaH || 5-43-10
ardayitvaa puriim lankaam abhivaadya ca maithiliim |
samR^iddha artho gamiShyaami miShataam sarva rakShasaam || 5-43-11
8; 9; 10; 11. jayataam = long live; raamaH = Rama; astravit = skilled in shooting; mahaabalaH = and the powerful; lakSmaNashcha = Lakshmana too; jayati = long live; raajaa = the king; sugriivaH = Sugreeva; abhipaalitaH = protected; raaghaveNa = by Rama; aham = I; hanumaan = am Hanuma; nihantaa = the killer; shatrusainyaanaam = the army of adversaries; maarutaatmajaH = and the son of wind-god; aham = I; daasaH = am the servant; raamasya = of Rama; kosalendrasya = the king of Kosala kingdom; akliSTa karmaNaH = who is unwearied in action; me = to me; praharataH = who is striking; sahasrashaH = with thousands of; shailaabhiH = rocks; paadapaishcha = and trees; yuddhe = in battle; raavaNa sahasram = even a thousand of Ravanas; na bhavet = will not be; pratibalam = matching equally (with me); miSataam = before the eyes of sarvarakSasaam = all the demons; ardayitvaa = annihilating; laN^kaam puriim = the city of Lanka; abhivaadyacha = and offering salutation; maithiliim = Seetha; gamiSyaami = I will go back; samR^iddhaarthaH = after having accomplished my task.
"Long live Rama, skilled in archery and the powerful Lakshmana! Long lie the King Sugreeva, protected by Rama! I am Hanuma, the destroyer of the army of adversaries and the son of wind-god. I am the servent of Rama, the king of Kosala kingdom, who is unwearied in action. Even a thousand of Ravanas will not be matching equally with me, who is capable of striking with thousnads of rocks and trees in battle. Here, before the eyes of all the demons, I will annihilate the City of Lanka and after offering salutation to Seetha, I will go back duly completing my task."
evam uktvaa vimaanasthaH caityasthaan hari pumgavaH |
nanaada bhiima nirhraado rakShasaam janayan bhayam || 5-43-12
12. evam = thus; uktvaa = speaking; chaityasthaan = to the guards protecting the sanctuary; hariyuuthapaH = Hanuma the chief of army of monkeys; vimaanasthaH = standing on the tower; bhiima nirhraadaH = roaring terribly; nanaada = made a noise; janayan = creating bhayam = terror; rakSasaam = to the demons.
Thus uttering to those guards protecting the sanctuary, roared terribly, making a noise and creating a terror to the demons.
tena shabdena mahataa caitya paalaaH shatam yayuH |
gR^ihiitvaa vividhaan astraan praasaan khaDgaan parashvadhaan || 5-43-13
visR^ijanto mahaaksayaa maarutim paryavaarayan |
13. tena mahataa shabdena = by that loud noise; shatam = hundreds of; chaitya paalaaH = guards protecting the sanctuary; yiayuH = went; gR^ihiitvaa = taking; vividhaan = many kinds of; astraan = weapons; praapaan = spears; khaDgaan = swords; parashvathaan = and axes; mahaakaayaaH those kinkaras with huge bodies; paryavaarayan = surrounded; maartutim = Hanuma; visR^ijantaH = discharging (those weapons).
Hearing that loud noise, hundreds of guards protecting the sanctuary went, taking many kinds of weapons, spears, swords and axes. Those Kinkaras with huge bodies surrounded Hanuma, duly discharging those weapons.
te gadaabhirvichitraabhiH parighaiH kaaJNchanaaN^gadaiH || 5-43-14
ajaghnarvaanarashreShThaM sharaishchaadityasannibhaiH |
aavarta iva gangaayaaH toyasya vipulo mahaan || 5-43-15
parikShipya hari shreShTham sa babhau rakShasaam gaNaH |
14; 15. te = they; ajaghnaH = banged; vaanara shreSTham = Hanuma; vichitraabhiH = gadaaH = with various kinds of maces; parighaiH = with iron bludgeous; kaaN^chanaanN^gadaiH = plated with gold; sharaishcha = and with arrows; aaditya samnibhaiH = shining like the sun. saH = that; rakSasaam gaNaH = troop of demons; parikSipya = surrounding; harishreSTham = Hanuma the best among monkeys; babhau = shone; mahaan vipulaH aavarta iva = like a greatly extensive whirlpool; toyasya = of the water; gaN^gaayaaH = of Rvier Ganga.
They banged Hanuma with various kinds of maces, iron bludgeons plated with gold and arrows shining like the sun. That troop of demons surrounding Hanuma the best among monkeys, shone like a greatly extensive whirlpool in the waters of River Ganga.
tato vaata aatmajaH kruddho bhiima ruupam samaasthitaH || 5-43-16
praasaadasya mahaan tasya stambham hema pariShkR^itam |
utpaaTayitvaa vegena hanuumaan maaruta aatmajaH || 5-43-17
tataH tam bhraamayaamaasa shata dhaaram mahaabalaH |
16; 17. tataH = thereupon; kruddhaH = the enraged; vaataatmajaH = Hanuma; samaasthitaH = assumed; bhiimam = a terrific; ruupam = form; hanumaan = Hanuma; mahaan = possesssing a gigantic body; pavanaatmajaH = the son of wind-god; utpaaTayitvaa = uplifting; stamabham = a pillar; shatadhaaram = with a hundred edges; hema pariSkR^itam = decorated with gold; praasaadasya = of (that) edifice; tataH = and then; bhraamayaamaasa = whirled it round; vegena = with speed.
Thereupon, the enraged Hanuma assumed a terrific form. Hanuma possessing a gigantic body and the son of wind-god, uprooting a pillar with a hundred edges and decorated with gold in that edifice, then speedily whirled it around.
tatra chaagniH samabhavatpraasaadashchaapyadahyata || 5-43-18
dahyamaanaM tato dR^iShTvaa praasaadaM hariyuuthapaH |
sa raakShasa shatam hatvaa vajreNa indra iva asuraan || 5-43-19
antarikSha sthitaH shriimaan idam vacanam abraviit |
18; 19. agniH cha = fire also; samabhavat = was generated there (due to friction with other pillars); praasaadashcha = the edifice; tataH adahyata = was then consumed by fire; dR^iSTya = seeing; praasaadam = the edifice; dahyamaanam = burning; saH hariyuuthapaH = that Hanuma; hattvaa = killing; raakSasa shatam = those hundred demons; indraH iva = like Indra; asuraan = (killing) demons; vajreNa = with his thunderbolt; sthitaH = and staying; antarikSe = in the sky; shriimaan = gloriously; abraviit = spoke; idam = these; vachanam = words.
Fire was also generated there (due to friction with other pillars) The edifice was then consumed by fire. Seeing the edifice burning, that Hanuma killing those hundred demons, like Indra killing demons with his thunderbolt and gloriously staying in the sky, spoke (the following) words:
maadR^ishaanaam sahasraaNi visR^iShTaani mahaatmanaam || 5-43-20
balinaam vaanara indraaNaam sugriiva vasha vartinaam |
aTanti vasudhaam kR^itsnaam vayamaye cha vaanaraaH || 5-43-21
20; 21. sahasraaNi = thousands; vaanarendraanaam = of excellent monkeys; maadR^ishaanaam = like me; mahaatmanaam = possessing gigantic bodies; balinaam = having strength; sugriiva vashavartinaam = obeying the orders of Sugreeva; visR^iSTaani = were sent; vayam = we; anye = and other; vaanaraashcha = monkeys; aTanti = are roaming; kR^itsnaam vasudhaam = in the entire earth.
"Thousands of monkeys like me, possessing gigantic bodies of strength, were sent on the orders of Sugreeva. We and other monkeys are now roaming the entire earth."
dashanaagabalaaH kechitkechiddashaguNottaraaH |
kechinnaagasahasrasya babhuuvustulyavikramaaH || 5-43-22
22. kechit = some (of the monkeys); dashanaaga balaaH = are having a strength of ten elephants; kechit = some; dashaguNottaraaH = are having a strength of hundred elephants; kechit = some; babhuuvuH = are; tulya vikramaaH = having a prowess equal to; naagasahasrasya = that of a thousand elephants.
"Some of the monkeys are having a strength of ten elephants. Some are having a strength of a hundred elephants. Some are having a prowess equal to that of a thousand elephants."
santi chaughabalaaH kecitkechidvaayubalopamaaH |
aprameyabalaashchaanye tatraasan hariyuuthapaaH || 5-43-23
23. kechit = some; santi = are; oghabalaaH = having the strength of a strong stream kechit = some; vaayubalopamaa = have strength equal to that of wind; anye = some other; hariyuutapaaH = chiefs of army of monkeys; tatra = in them; aasan = are; aprameya balaashcha = having strength; which even cannot be measured.
"Some are having the strength of a strong stream. Some have strength equal to that of wind. Some other army-chiefs of monkeys even cannot be measured."
iidR^igvidhaistu haribhirvaR^ito dantanakhaayudhaiH |
shataiH shata sahasraiH ca koTiibhiH ayutaiH api || 5-43-24
aagamiShyati sugriivaH sarveShaam vo niShuudanaH |
24. vR^itaH = surrounded by; shataiH = hundreds; ayutaiH = ten thousands; shatasahasraiH = laksha; koTiibhiH = and crores; iidR^igvidhaiH haribhiH = of such monkeys; dantanakhaayudhaiH = sugriivaH = Sugreeva; niSuudanaH = who is capable of destroying; vaH = you; sarveSaam = all; aagamiSyati = will come.
"Surrounded by hundreds, myriads, lakhs and crores of such monkeys having their teeth and nails as their weapons, Sugreeva, who is capable of destroying you all, will come."
na iyam asti purii lankaa na yuuyam na ca raavaNaH || 5-43-25
yasmaat ikShvaaku naathena baddham vairam mahaatmanaa |
25. yasmaat = for what reason; vairam = an enmity; baddhaam = was held; mahaatmanaa ikSvaakunaathena = with the high souled Rama; (for that reason); iyam = this; laN^kaapurii = City of Lanka; naasti = will not be there; yuuyam = you; na = will not exist; raavaNaH chat = even Ravana too; na = will not exist.
"You hold enmity with the high souled Rama. For this, the City of Lanka will not be there. Neither you, nor even Ravana will survive."
- - -
ityaarShe shriimadraamaayaNe aadikaavye sundarakaaNDe trichatvaari.nshaH sargaH
|Top of Page||1||2||3||4|
© May, 2005, K. M. K. Murthy