Hanuma asks Seetha to give him a token of remembrance, which Rama can recognize. Seetha then narrates the episode of a crow which occurred on the Chitrakuta mountain and requests Hanuma to repeat it before Rama by way of a token of recollection. She further sends greetings to both Rama and Lakshmana, conveys her enquiry about their welfare and conveys to them her resolve to survive only for a month after the expiry of the time-limit given by Ravana. Thereupon, she hands over to Hanuma her jewel for the head as a token of remembrance.
ततः स कपि शार्दूलः तेन वाक्येन हर्षितः |
सीताम् उवाच तत् श्रुत्वा वाक्यम् वाक्य विशारदः || ५-३८-१
1. tataH = thereafter; saH kapi = shaarduulaH = that excellent among monkeys; vaakya vishaaradaH = who was skilled in speech; shrutvaa = after hearing; tat vaakyam = those words; toSitaH = was pleased; uvaacha = and spoke; siitaam = to Seetha ( as follows):
Hearing those words of Seetha, the eloquent Hanuma was very much pleased and spoke to Seetha (as follows):
युक्त रूपम् त्वया देवि भाषितम् शुभ दर्शने |
सदृशम् स्त्री स्वभावस्य साध्वीनाम् विनयस्य च || ५-३८-२
2. shubhadarshana = O beautiful Seetha; devi = the princess!; bhaaSitam = what is spoken; tvayaa = by you; yuktaruupam = is befitting; sadR^isham = It is suitable; striisvabhavaashcha = of woman's nature; vinayasyacha = and of the humility; saadhviinaam = of chaste women.
"O Seetha, the beautiful princess! Whatever you spoke is befitting. It is in keeping with woman's nature and humility of a chaste women."
स्त्रीत्वम् न तु समर्थम् हि सागरम् व्यतिवर्तितुम् |
माम् अधिष्ठाय विस्तीर्णम् शत योजनम् आयतम् || ५-३८-३
3. na samartham hi = It is not indeed fit for; striitvam = womanhood; adhiSThaaya = to mount on; maam = me; vyativartitum = and cross; vistiirNam = an extensive; saagaram = ocean; shatayojanam aayatam = which is wide of one hundred Yojanas.
"It is indeed not fit for a woman to mount on my back and traverse an extensive ocean, which is having a width of one hundred yojanas."
द्वितीयम् कारणम् यच् च ब्रवीषि विनय अन्विते |
रामात् अन्यस्य न अर्हामि संस्पर्शम् इति जानकि || ५-३८-४
एतत् ते देवि सदृशम् पत्न्याः तस्य महात्मनः |
का हि अन्या त्वाम् ऋते देवि ब्रूयात् वचनम् ईदृशम् || ५-३८-५
4; 5. jaanaki = O Seetha; vinayaanvite = endowed with modesty!; yat = which; dvitiiyam- second; kaaraNam = reason; braviiSi = you were telling; naarhamiiti = that you would not be; samsparsham = touching; anyasya = any one else; raamaat = than Rama; etat = it; sadR^isham = is befitting; te = of you; patnyaaH = the wife; tasya mahaatmanaH = of that high soled Rama; devi = O princess; kaa anyaa = which other woman; tvaamR^ite = except you; bruuyat = can speak; iidR^isham = such; amR^ite = sweet; vachanam = words?
"O Seetha endowed with modesty! The second reason you mentioned that you would not be touching any one else other then Rama is befitting of you, the wife of that high soled Rama. O princess! which other lady except you can speak of such sweet words?"
श्रोष्यते चैव काकुत्स्थः सर्वम् निरवशेषतः |
चेष्टितम् यत् त्वया देवि भाषितम् मम च अग्रतः || ५-३८-६
6. devi = O princess!; kaakutthsa = Rama; shroSyate = will hear; niravasheSataH = completely; sarvam = all; yat = that; cheSTitam = was acted correctly; tvayaa = by you; bhaaSitam = and spoken; agrataH = in front; mama = of me.
"O princess! I can completely inform Rama of all that you have done and of all that you have spoken before me."
कारणैः बहुभिः देवि राम प्रिय चिकीर्षया |
स्नेह प्रस्कन्न मनसा मया एतत् समुदीरितम् || ५-३८-७
7. devi = O princess!; bahubhiH kaaraNaiH = because of several reasons; raama priyachikiirSayaa = being desirous of doing good to Rama; sneha praskanna manasaa = and with a mind moistened with affection; etat = this; samudiiritam = was spoken mayaa = by me.
"O princess! All this was told by me because of several reasons, being desirous of doing good to Rama ad with my mind moistened with affection towards him."
लन्काया दुष्प्रवेशत्वात् दुस्तरत्वान् महाउदधेः |
सामर्थ्यात् आत्मनः चैव मया एतत् समुदाहृतम् || ५-३८-८
8. duSpradharSatraat = because of the unassailability; lankaayaaH = of Lanka; mahodadheH = and the great ocean; dustaratvaa = difficult to be crossed; aatmanaH saamarthyaachchaiva = and because of my capability; etat = this; samudiiritam = was spoken; mayaa = by me.
"I spoke this because of the unassailability of Lanka, its great ocean so difficult to be crossed and also my capacity of taking you."
इच्छामि त्वाम् समानेतुम् अद्य एव रघु बन्धुना |
गुरु स्नेहेन भक्त्या च न अन्यथा तत् उदाहृतम् || ५-३८-९
9. gurusnehena = because of my great affection; bhaktyaacha = and devotion; ichchhami = I wish; tvaam samaanetum = to carry you well; adyaiva = now itself; raghubandhunaa = te Rama your husband; etat = these words; na udaahR^itam = were not spoken; anyathaa = from another motive.
"Because of my great affection and devotion towards you, I wish to carry you well now itself to Rama your hushand. These words were not spoken by me with any other motive."
यदि न उत्सहसे यातुम् मया सार्धम् अनिन्दिते |
अभिज्ञानम् प्रयच्छ त्वम् जानीयात् राघवो हि यत् || ५-३८-१०
10. anindite = O faultless Seetha!; notsahaseyadi = if you are not willing; yaatam = to go; mayaa saartham = with me; tvam = you; prayachchha = give; abhijJNaanam = a token of remembrance; yat = which; raaghaaH = Rama; jaaniiyaat = can recognise.
"O faultless Seetha! If you are not willing to go with me, give me a token of remembrance which Rama can recognise."
एवम् उक्ता हनुमता सीता सुर सुत उपमा |
उवाच वचनम् मन्दम् बाष्प प्रग्रथित अक्षरम् || ५-३८-११
इदम् श्रेष्ठम् अभिज्ञानम् ब्रूयाः त्वम् तु मम प्रियम् |
11. evam = thus; uktaa = spoken; hanumataa = by Hanuma; siitaa = Seetha; surasutopataa = like the daughter of god; mandam = slowly; uvaacha = spoke; vachanam = slowly; uvaacha = spoke; vachanam = the (following) words; baaSpa pragrathitaa kSaram = strung together with alphabets of tears; tvamtu = you; bruuyaaH = tell; idam = this; shreSTham = excellent thing; abhiJNaanam = as a token of remembrance; mama priyam = to my beloved husband.
Hearing Hanuma's words, Seetha like the daughter of a god, slowly spoke the following words, strung together with alphabets of tears: "You tell this (following) excellent thing as a token of remembrance to my beloved husband."
शैलस्य चित्र कूटस्य पादे पूर्व उत्तरे तदा || ५-३८-१२
तापस आश्रम वासिन्याः प्राज्य मूल फल उदके |
तस्मिन् सिद्ध आश्रमे देशे मन्दाकिन्या अदूरतः || ५-३८-१३
तस्य उपवन षण्डेषु नाना पुष्प सुगन्धिषु |
विहृत्य सलिल क्लिन्ना तव अन्के समुपाविशम् ||
पर्यायेण प्रसुप्तः च मम अन्के भरत अग्रजः || ५-३८-१४
12; 13; 14. paade = at a hillock; puurvottare = in the north-eastern direction; chitrakuuTasya shailasya = of Chitrakuta mountain; praajyamuula phalodake = having bountiful roots fruits and water; tasmin desha = in that place; siddhaashrite = inhabited by seers; mandaakinya viduurataH = in the vicinity of River Ganges; puraa = long ago; vihR^itya = (we were) strolling; salile = in water; upavana khaNDeSu = in parts of groves; naanaapuSpa sugandhiSu = with various kinds of flowers in perfume; tasya = of that hillock; klinnaH = you became wet; samupaavishaH = and sat; mama aN^ke = at my proximity; taapasaashramavaasinyaaaH = residing in the hermitage of sages.
"There is a place inhabited by sages at a hillock in the north-eastern It was bountiful with roots fruits and water. In that place, while we were residing in a hermitage of sages, on a day long ago, we were strolling in water in parts of groves with various kinds of flowers of perfume in that hillock. Your thereupon became wet and sat at my proximity."
ततो मांस समायुक्तो वायसः पर्यतुण्डयत् |
तम् अहम् लोष्टम् उद्यम्य वारयामि स्म वायसम् || ५-३८-१५
15. tataH = then; vaayasaH = a crow; maamsasamaayuktaH = yearning for meat; paryatuN^Dayat = began to peek (me); aham = I; udyamya = lifting; loSTam = a clod of earth; vaarayaamisma = prevented; tam = that; vaayasam = crow.
"Then, a crow, yearning for meat, began to peck me. Picking up a clod of earth, I prevented the crow from its act."
दारयन् स च माम् काकः तत्र एव परिलीयते |
न च अपि उपरमन् मांसात् भक्ष अर्थी बलि भोजनः || ५-३८-१६
16. daarayan = tearing; maam = me; saH kaakaH = that crow pariliiyate = was hiding; tatraiva = there only; saH = that; balibhojanah = crow; bhakSaarthii = yearning for food; na upaaramachchhaapi = did not resign; maamsaat = from meat.
"Pecking me again and again, the crow was hiding there only. That crow, yearning for food, did not resig from meat."
उत्कर्षन्त्याम् च रशनाम् क्रुद्धायाम् मयि पक्षिणे |
स्रंसमाने च वसने ततो दृष्टा त्वया हि अहम् || ५-३८-१७
17. mayi = (while) I; kruddhaayaam = was angry; pakSiNaa = with that bird; vasane = my skirt; srasyamaanecha = was slipping; utkarSantyaamcha = and I was pulling; rashanaam = its string (so as to tighten it); aham = I; dR^iSTaa = was seen; tvayaa = by you; tataH = then.
"While I was angry with that bird, my skirt was slipping and I was pulling its string (so as to tighten it). I was seen by you then."
त्वया विहसिता च अहम् क्रुद्धा सम्लज्जिता तदा |
भक्ष्य गृद्धेन कालेन दारिता त्वाम् उपागता || ५-३८-१८
18. tadaa = then; aham = I; kR^iddhaa = moved by anger; samlajjitaa = felt abashed; apahasitaa = being laughed at; tvayaa = by you; daaritaa = Torn down; kaakena = by crow; bhakSagR^idhnena = which was yearning for food; upaagataa = I sought shelter; tvaam = with you.
"Moved by anger, I felt abashed for being laughed at by you. Torn down by the crow, which was yearning for food, I sought shelter with you."
आसीनस्य च ते श्रान्ता पुनः उत्सन्गम् आविशम् |
क्रुध्यन्ती च प्रहृष्टेन त्वया अहम् परिसान्त्विता || ५-३८-१९
19. shraantaa = feeling tired; punaH aavisham = I again settled on; te = your; utsaN^gam = lap; kruddhyantii = as though angry; aham = I; parisaanvitaa = was consoled; tvayaa = by you; prahR^iSTena = fully delighted.
"Feeling tired, I again settled on your lap. As though angry, I was consoled by you and I was fully delighted."
बाष्प पूर्ण मुखी मन्दम् चक्षुषी परिमार्जती |
लक्षिता अहम् त्वया नाथ वायसेन प्रकोपिता || ५-३८-२०
20. naatha = O Lord!; prakopitaa = annoyed; vaayasena = by the crow; baaSpapuurNamukhii = having my face filled with tears; chakSuSi = and having my eyes; parimaarjatii = being wiped; mandam = slowly; aham = I; lakSitaa = was seen; tvayaa = by you.
"Slowly wiping my eyes, my face filled with tears, I was seen by you, O Lord, as having been annoyed by the crow."
परिश्रमात्प्रसुप्ता च राघवाङ्के ऽप्य्हम् चिरम् |
पर्याय़ेण प्रसुप्तश्च ममाङ्के भरताग्रजः ५-३८-२१
21. ahamapi = I even; prasuptaa cha = slept; chiram = for a long time; raaghavaaNke = on Rama's lap; parishramaat = because of fatigue; paryaayeNa = in his turn; bharataagrajaH = Rama; the elder brother of Bharata; prasuptaH = slept; mama; aN^ke = in my arms.
"I even slept for a long time on Rama's lap because of my fatigue. In his turn, Rama the elder brother of Bharata, slept in my arms."
स तत्र पुनरे वाथ वायसः समुपागमत् |
ततः सुप्तप्रबुद्धाम् माम् रामस्याङ्कात्समुत्थिताम् || ५-३८-२२
वायसः सहसागम्य विददार स्तनान्तरे |
पुनः पुनर्थोत्पत्य विददार स मां भृशम् || ५-३८-२३
22; 23. atha = thereafter; saH vaayasaH = that crow; punareva = again; samupaagamat = came; tatra = there; tataH = then; saH = that; vaayasaH = crow; sahasaa = quickly; aagamya = having arrived at; maam = me; samutthitaam = who raised; aN^kaat = from the lap; raamasya = of Rama; suptaprabuddhaam = after waking up from my sleep; vidadaara = clawed; stanaantare = the space between my breasts; atha = and; utpatya = flying up; punaH punaH = again and again; maam vidadaara = tore me up; bhR^isham = a lot.
"Meanwhile, the same crow appeared there. Descending all of a sudden, the crow clawed me at the space between the breasts, even as I awoke from my sleep and rose from the lap of Rama. Flying up again, it tore me up a lot."
ततः समुक्षितो रामो मुक्तैः शोणितबिन्दुभिः |
वयसेन ततस्तेन बलवत्क्लिश्यमानया || ५-३८-२४
स मया बोधितः श्रीमान् सुखसुप्तः परम्तपः |
24. tataH = then; raamaH = Rama; samukSitaH = was moistened; muktaiH shoNita bindubhiH = by the discharged drops of blood; tataH = thereafter; saH = that Rama; shriimaan = the splendid man; paramtapaH = the destroyer of enemies; sukha suptaH = who was in a pleasant slumber; bodhitaH = was woken up; tena raayasena = by that crow; mayaa = and by me; balavat klishyamaanayaa = who was grievously tormented (by the crow).
"Then, Rama got wet by the discharged drops of blood. Thereafter, that splendorous Rama, the annihilator of enemies, who was in a pleasant slumber, was woken up by that crow and by me who was grievously tormented by the crow."
स माम् दृष्ट्वा महाबाहुर्वितुन्नाम् स्तनयोस्तदा || ५-३८-२५
आशी विष इव क्रुद्धः श्वसान् वाक्यम् अभाषथाः |
25. saH = that Rama; mahaabaahuH = the long armed; dR^iSTvaa = seeing; maam = me; vitunnaam = pierced; stanayoH = on the breasts; tadaa = then; shvasan = hissing; kruddhah ashiiviSaiva = like an angry serpant; abhaaSata = spoke; vaakyam = (the following) words.
"That long-armed Rama, seeing me pierced violently on the breasts, then spoke the following words, hissing like an angry serpant.
केन ते नाग नास ऊरु विक्षतम् वै स्तन अन्तरम् || ५-३८-२६
कः क्रीडति सरोषेण पन्च वक्त्रेण भोगिना |
26. naaganaasoru = O Seetha the round thighed woman!; kena = by whom; te stanaantaram = the space between your breasts; vikSatam vai = was wounded?; kaH = who; kriiDati = is playing; paN^cha vaktreNa bhoginaa = with a fire-faced serpent; saroSeNa = filled with fury?
"O Seetha the round-thighed woman! Who has wounded the space between your breasts? who is playing with a fire-faced serpent filled with fury?"
वीक्षमाणः ततः तम् वै वायसम् समवैक्षथाः || ५-३८-२७
नखैः सरुधिरैः तीक्ष्णैः माम् एव अभिमुखम् स्थितम् |
27. tataH = then; viikSamaaNaH = throwing a glance (around); samudaikSata = (Rama) saw; tam vaayasam = that crow; tiikSNaiH nakhaiH = with its sharp claws; sarudhiraiH = with its sharp claws; sarudhiraiH = moistened with blood; sthitam = and remaining; abhimukham = in front of ; maaneva = me alone.
'Then, throwing a glance around, Rama saw that crow with its sharp claws moistened iwth blood and sitting in front of me alone."
पुत्रः किल स शक्रस्य वायसः पतताम् वरः || ५-३८-२८
धरा अन्तर चरः शीघ्रम् पवनस्य गतौ समः |
28. saH = vaayasaH = that crow; varaH = the best; patataam = among birds; putraH kila = seems to be the son; shakrasya = of Indra the Lord of celestials; dharaantarayataH = residing; among the mountains; gatau = and in moving; shiighram = speedily; samaH = equal; paranasya = to the wind.
"That crow, the best among birds, seems to be the son of Indra the Lord of celestials, staying in mountains and moving with a peed equal to the wind."
ततः तस्मिन् महाबाहुः कोप सम्वर्तित ईक्षणः || ५-३८-२९
वायसे कृतवान् क्रूराम् मतिम् मतिमताम् वर |
29. tataH = then; mahaabaahuH = the long-armed Rama; matimataam varaH = the best among wise men; kopa samvartitekSaNaH = swirling his eyes in anger; kR^itavaan = made; matim = a resolve; tasmin kruuraam vaayase = in the matter of that ferocious cow.
"Then, the long-armed Rama, the best among wise men, swirling his eyes in anger, made a resolve in the matter of that ferocious crow."
स दर्भ संस्तरात् गृह्य ब्रह्मणो अस्त्रेण योजयः || ५-३८-३०
स दीप्त इव काल अग्निः जज्वाल अभिमुखो द्विजम् |
30. gR^ihya = taking; darbham = a shoot of Kusa grass; samstaraat = from his bed (made of Kusa grass); saH = that Rama; yojayat = used it to work; braahmeNa astreNa = with Brahma's missile (a mythical weapon which deals infallible destruction); sah = that; diiptaH = blazing shoot of grass; kaalaagniriva = like fire destroying the world; jajvaala = flared up; dvijam abhimukham = in front of that bird.
"Taking a blade of Kusa grass from his bed ( made of Kusa grass), Rama employed it to work with Brahma's missile (a mythical weapon which deals with infallible destruction). That blazing shoot of grass, resembling a fire destroying the world, flared up in front of that bird."
स तम् प्रदीप्तम् चिक्षेप दर्भम् तम् वायसम् प्रति || ५-३८-३१
ततस्तम् वायसम् दर्भः सोम्बरेऽनुजगाम ह |
31. saH = that Rama; chikSepa = threw; tam = that; pradiiptam = blazing; darbham = blade of Kusa grass; tam vaayasam prati = towards that crow; tataH = then; saH darbhaH = that blade of grass; anujagaama ha = chased; tam vaayasam = that crow; ambare = in the sky.
"As Rama threw that blazing blade of Kusa grass towards that crow, that blade of grass went chasing that crow in the sky."
अनुसृष्टः तदा कालो जगाम विविधाम् गतिम् || ५-३८-३२
त्राण काम इमम् लोकम् सर्वम् वै विचचार ह |
32. tadaa = then; kaakaH = the crow; anusR^iSTaH = being chased; jagaama = wnet; vividhaam = in many; gatim = a way; traaNa kaamaH = seeking protection; (the crow) vichachaara ha = roamed; sarvam = all over; imam = this; lokam = world.
"Then, while that blade of grass came chasing, that crow went flying in many a way. Seeking protection, it roamed all over the world."
स पित्रा च परित्यक्तः सुरैः सर्वैः महर्षिभिः || ५-३८-३३
त्रीन् लोकान् सम्परिक्रम्य त्वाम् एव शरणम् गतः |
33. samparikramya = roaming; triin = the three; lokaan = worlds; saH = that crow; parityaktaH = was abandoned; pitraacha = by Indra; its father; suraishcha = celestials; sa maharSibhiH = along with sages; sharaNamgataH = (and finally) sought refuge; tameva = in the same Rama.
"Roaming the three worlds in search of a saviour, that crow was abandoned by Indra; its father, the celestials and the sages. Finally, it sought refuge in the same Rama."
स तम् निपतितम् भूमौ शरण्यः शरणा गतम् || ५-३८-३४
वध अर्हम् अपि काकुत्स्थ कृपया पर्यपालयः |
34. saH = kaakutthsaH = that Rama; sharaNyaH = who affords protection; kR^ipayaa = by compassion; paryapaalayat = protected; tam = that crow; nipatitam = which fell; bhuumau = on the floor; sharaNaagatam = and sought for protection; vadhaarhamapi = even though it was apt to be killed.
"That Rama, who affords protection, was compassionate and protected that crow, which fell on the ground (in salutation to Rama) and sought for protection, eventhough it was apt to be killed."
परिद्यूनम् विषण्णम् च स त्वम् आयान्तम् उक्तवान् || ५-३८-३५
मोघम् कर्तुम् न शक्यम् तु ब्राह्मम् अस्त्रम् तत् उच्यताम् |
35. saH = that Rama; abraviit = spoke; tam = of that crow; aayaantam = which was coming; paridyuunam = exhausted; viSaNNam = and dejected; na shakyam tu = It is not possible; kartum = to make; braahmam astram = Brahma missile; mogham = a waste; tat = for that reason; uchyataam = tell me what to do.
"Seeing that crow, coming exhausted and dejected, Rama said to it: 'It is not possible to make Brahma missile a waste. For this reason, tell me what to do now."
हिनस्तु दक्षिणाक्षित्वच्छर इत्यथ सोऽब्रवीत् || ५-३८-३६
ततः तस्य अक्षि काकस्य हिनस्ति स्म स दक्षिणम् |
दत्त्वा स दक्षिणम् नेत्रम् प्राणेभ्यः परिरक्षितः || ५-३८-३७
36. 37. atha = thereafter; saH = that crow; abraviit = said; iti = that; trachcharaH = your arrow; hinastu = shoot; dakSiNaakSi = my right eye; tataH = then; saH = that blade of grass; hinantisma = shooted; dakSiNam = the right; akSi = eye; tasya kaakasya = of that crow; saH = that crow; dattvaa = by giving away; dakSiNam netram = its right eye; parirakSitaH = saved; praaNebhyaH = its lives.
Thereafter, that crow said "Let your arrow shoot my right eye." Then that blade of Kusa grass shooted the right eye of that crow. By giving away its right eye in that way, the crow saved its life."
स रामाय नमस्कृत्वा राज्ञे दशरथाय च |
विसृष्टस्तेन वीरेण प्रतिपेदे स्वमालयम् || ५-३८-३८
38. saH = that crow; namaskR^ityaa = after saluting; raamaaya = Rama; dasharathaaya cha = and Dasaratha; raajJNe = the king; visR^iSTaH = and discharged; tena viireNa = by that valiant Rama; pratipede = it reached; svam = its own; aalayam = abode.
"After offering salutations to Rama and King Dasaratha and being discharged by that valiant Rama, the crow returned to its own abode."
मत् कृते काक मात्रे अपि ब्रह्म अस्त्रम् समुदीरितम् |
कस्मात् यो माम् हरत् त्वत्तः क्षमसे तम् मही पते || ५-३८-३९
39. mahiipate = O lord of the earth! matkR^ite = for my sake; brahmaastram = a Brahma's missile; samudiiritam = was hurled; kaakamaatre = even at a crow; kasmaat = why; kSamase = are you forgiving; tam = him; yaH = who; aharat = took away; maa = me; tvattaH = from you?
"O lord of the earth! For my sake you hurled a Brahma's missile even at a crow. Why are you forgiving the one who has taken me away from you?"
स कुरुष्व महाउत्साहम् कृपाम् मयि नर ऋषभ |
त्वया नाथवती नाथ ह्यनाथा इव दृश्यते || ५-३८-४०
40. nararSabha = O best among men!; saH = you as such; mahotsaahaH = having great strength; kuruSva = endow; kR^ipam = mercy; mayi = in me; naatha = O protector!; naathavatii = She with a protector; tvayaa = in you; dR^ishyate = is being seen; anaathaa iva = like the one without any protector.
"O Rama the best among men! You, with great strength, annihilate the enemy and bestow your mercy on me. O Lord! She who has a protector in you, actually looks like one without any protector."
आनृशंस्यम् परो धर्मः त्वत्त एव मया श्रुतः |
जानामि त्वाम् महावीर्यम् महाउत्साहम् महाबलम् || ५-३८-४१
अपार पारम् अक्षोभ्यम् गाम्भीर्यात् सागर उपमम् |
भर्तारम् ससमुद्राया धरण्या वासव उपमम् || ५-३८-४२
41; 42. shrutaH = It was heard; mayaa = by me; tvattaH eva = from you alone; anR^ishamsyam = (that) kindness; paraH dharmaH = is the best righteousness; jaanaami = I know; tvaam = you; mahaaiiryam = having a great prowess; mahotsaaham = a great energy; mahaabalam = and a great strength; apaarapaaram = you non-acquiescence; akSobhyam = imperturbability; gaambhiiryaat = profoudness; saagaropamam = like an ocean; bhartaaram = lord; dharaNyaaH = of the earth; samudraayaH = including the ocean; vaasavopamam = and equal to Indra the Lord of celestials.
"You yourself told me that kindness is the best righteousness. I know you, having a great prowess, a great energy, and a great strength. I know your non-acquiescence, imperturbability, profoundness like an ocean, as Lord of the earth including the oceans and as equal to Indra the Lord of celestials."
एवम् अस्त्रविदाम् श्रेष्ठः सत्त्ववान् बलवान् अपि |
किम् अर्थम् अस्त्रम् रक्षह्सु न योजयसि राघव || ५-३८-४३
43. raaghava = O Rama!; balavaanapi = eventhough you are stron; astravidaam shreSThaH = excellently skilled in archery; satyavaan = and a truthful man; evam = thus; kimartham = why; nayojayasi = are you not employing; astram = your arrow; rakSassu = on demons?
"O Rama! Eventhough you are strong, excellently skilled in archery and a truthful man, why are you not utilizing your arrow on demons?"
न नागा न अपि गन्धर्वा न असुरा न मरुत् गणाः |
रामस्य समरे वेगम् शक्ताः प्रति समाधितुम् || ५-३८-४४
44. naagaH = the serpent-demons; na shaktaaH = are not capable; pratisamiihitum = of resisting; vegam = the onrush; raamasya = of Rama; samare = in battle; gandharvaa api = even divine musicians; na = are not capable; asuraaH = demons; na = are not capable; marudgaNaaH = troops of storm-gods; na = are not capable.
"Neither the serpent-demons, nor the divine musicians nor the demons nor the storm-gods are able to resist the onrush of Rama in battle."
तस्या वीर्यवतः कश्चित् यदि अस्ति मयि सम्भ्रमः |
किम् अर्थम् न शरैः तीक्ष्णैः क्षयम् नयति राक्षसान् || ५-३८-४५
45. viiryavataH tasya asti yadi = if the valiant Rama has; kashchit = any; sambhramaH = haste; may = in my case; kimartham = why; na nayati kSayam = does he not destroy; raakSasaan = the demons; tiikSNaiH sharaiH = with his sharp arrows?
"If the valiant Rama has any haste in my case, why does he not destroy the demons with his sharp arrows?!
भ्रातुः आदेशम् आदाय लक्ष्मणो वा परम् तपः |
कस्य हेतोः न माम् वीरः परित्राति महाबलः || ५-३८-४६
46. kasya hetoH = for what reason; lakSmaNo vaa = even Lakshmana; paramtapaH = the tormentator of enemies; mahaabalaH = the mighty man; viiraH = and the valiant man; na paritraati = does not protect; maam = me; aadaaya = by taking; aadesham = the command; bhraatruH = of his elder brother?"
"For what reason, even Lakshmana the tormentator of enemies, the mighty man and the valiant man does not protect me, by taking the command of his elder brother?'
यदि तौ पुरुष व्याघ्रौ वाय्व् इन्द्र सम तेजसौ |
सुराणाम् अपि दुर्धर्षो किम् अर्थम् माम् उपेक्षतः || ५-३८-४७
47. tau = those two brothers; puruSavyaaghrau = the tigers among men; Rama and Lakshman; vaayvagni samtejasau = with a sharpness equal to that of wind and fire; suraaNaam durdharSau yadi api = even if unconquerable by demons also;
Those two tigers among men, Rama and Lakshmana, with a sharpness equal to that of wind and fire, even if they are unconquerable by demons too, why are they neglecting me?"
मम एव दुष्कृतम् किंचिन् महत् अस्ति न संशयः |
समर्थाव् अपि तौ यन् माम् न अवेक्षेते परम् तपौ || ५-३८-४८
48. kimchit = some; mahat = great; duSkR^itam = sin; asti = may be there; mamaiva = of me alone; na samshayaH = there is no doubt; yat = for which reason; tau = those two brothers Rama and Lakshmana; paramtapau = the tormentator of enemies; samrthaavapi = even when capable; na avekSate = are not seeing; maam = me.
"There is not doubt that I would have committed a great sin, for which reason those two brothers Rama and Lakshmana the tormentators of enemies, even when capable , are neglecting me."
वैदेह्या वचनम् श्रुत्वा करुणम् साशुभाषितम् |
अथाब्रवीन्महातेजा हनुमान् मारुतात्मजः || ५-३८-४९
49. atha = then; shrutvaa = hearing; vachanam = the words; bhaaSitam = spoken; karuNam = pitiably; saa shru = with tears; vaidehyaa = by Seetha; hanumaan = Hanuma; mahaatejaa = of great splendour; maarutaatmajaH = the son of wind-god; abraviit = spoke (as follows):
Hearing the pitiable appeal Seetha with tears, Hanuma of great splendour and the son of wind-god spoke (as follows)
त्वच्छोकविमुखो रामो देवि सत्येन ते शपे |
रामे दुःखाभिपन्ने च लक्ष्मणः परितप्यते || ५-३८-५०
50. devi = O Seetha!; raamaH = Rama; tvachchoka viukhaH = has grown averse to eveything else caused by grief towards you; shape = I swear; te = to you; satyena = by truth; raame = (When) Rama; duHkhaabhipanne = is overpowered by grief; lakSmaNaH cha = Lakshmana too; paritapyate = is tormented (by grief).
"O Seetha! Rama has grown averse to everything else, caused by grief towards you. I swear it to you by truth. When Rama is overpowered by grief; Lakshmana too gets tormented by grief."
कथम् चिद्भवती दृष्टा न कालः परिदेवितुम् |
इमम् मुहूर्तम् दुःखानाम् द्रक्ष्यस्यन्तमनिन्दिते || ५-३८-५१
51. anindite = O faultless Seetha!; kathamchit = Somehow or other; bhavatii = you; dR^iSTaa = appeared; na kaalaH = this is not the time; paridevitum = to lament; drakSyasi = you will see; antam = the end; duHkhaanaam = of your sorrows; imam muhuurtam = within this moment.
"O faultless Seetha! Somehow or other, you have been discovered by me. This is not the time to lament. Your will see the end of your sorrow within a short time."
तावुभौ पुरुषव्याघ्रौ राजपुत्रौ महाबलौ |
त्वद्दर्शनकृतोत्साहौ लङ्काम् भस्मीकरिष्यतः || ५-३८-५२
52. tau ubhau raajaputrau = those two princes; puruSavyaaghrau = the excellent among men; mahaabalau = the mighty ones; tvaddarshanakR^itotsaahau = and who are eager to see you; laN^kaam bhasmii kariSyataH = with reduce Lanka to ashes.
"Those two mighty princes, the excellent among men, are eager to see you and they will reduce Lanka to ashes."
हत्वा च समरे क्रूतम् रावणम् सहबान्धवम् |
राघवस्त्वाम् विशालाक्षि नेष्यति स्वाम् पुरीम् प्रति || ५-३८-५३
53. vishaalaakSi = O large eyed Seetha!; hatvaa = killing; kruuram = the cruel; raavaNam = Ravana; sahabaandhavam = along with his relatives; raaghavaH = Rama; neSyati = will take; tvaam = you; svaam puriim prati = to his own city.
"O large-eyed Seetha! Killing the cruel Ravana along with his relatives in battle, Rama will take you back to his own city."
ब्रूहि यद्राघवो वाच्यो लक्ष्मणश्च महाबलः |
सुग्रीवो वापि तेजस्वी हरयोऽपि समागताः || ५-३८-५४
54. bruuhi = tell me; yat vaachyaH = what to be expressed; raaghavaH = to Rama; mahaabalaH lakSmaNashcha = or to the mighty Lakshmana; tejasvii sugriivovaapi = or to the splendorous Sugreeva; harayo.api = samaagataaH = or to even the monkeys assembled (there).
"Tell me what to be expressed to Rama or to the mighty Lakshmana or to the splendourous Sugreeva or even to the other monkeys assembled there."
इत्युक्तवति तस्मिंस्तु सीता सुरसुतोपमा |
उवाच शोकसंतप्ता हनुमन्तं प्लवंगमम् || ५-३८-५५
55. iti = thus; uktavati = spoken; tasmin = by that Hanuma; siita = Seetha; surasutopamaa = like the daughter of a sage; shoka santaptaa = tormented with grief; uvaacha = spoke; hanumantam = to Hanuma; plavamgamam = the monkey (as follows):
Hearing the words of Hanuma, Seetha, like the daughter of a sage, tormented with grief, spoke to Hanuma the monkey (as follows):
कौसल्या लोक भर्तारम् सुषुवे यम् मनस्विनी |
तम् मम अर्थे सुखम् पृच्छ शिरसा च अभिवादय || ५-३८-५६
56. madarthe = On my behalf; abhivaadayacha shirasaa = salute by bowing your head; pR^ichchha = and ask; sukham = about the welfare of; tam = that Rama; lokabhartaaram = the lord of the worlds; yam = whom; manasvinii Kausalyaa = the magnanimous Kausalya; suSuva = gave birth.
"On my behalf, salute by bowing your head and ask about the welfare of Rama, the Lord of the worlds, whom the magnanimous Kausalya gave birth."
स्रजः च सर्व रत्नानि प्रिया याः च वर अन्गनाः |
ऐश्वर्यम् च विशालायाम् पृथिव्याम् अपि दुर्लभम् || ५-३८-५७
पितरम् मातरम् चैव सम्मान्य अभिप्रसाद्य च |
अनुप्रव्रजितो रामम् सुमित्रा येन सुप्रजाः || ५-३८-५८
57; 58. sumitraa = Sumitra; suprajaaH = who got good children like Lakshmana; yena = by whom; srajashcha = wreaths of flowers; sarva ratnaani = all the riches; priyaaH yaaH varaaN^ganaaH = pleasant and beautiful girls; aishvaryamcha api = and even the prosperity; durlabham = difficult to be obtained; vishaalaam- pR^ithivyaam = on the extensive earth; (tyakta = were abandoned); sammaanya = venerating; abhiprasaadya cha = and praying for grace; pitram = his fatehr; maataramchaapi = and also his mother; raamaH anupravrajitaH = went to exile; following Rama.
(On my behalf, ask about the welfare of ) Lakshmana, that good child of Sumitra who, having renounced the wreaths of flowers, all the riches, pleasant and beautiful girls and even the prosperity difficult to be obtained in this extensive world, offered his profound respects to and pacified his father and mother, followed Rama to exile."
आनुकूल्येन धर्म आत्मा त्यक्त्वा सुखम् अनुत्तमम् |
अनुगच्छति काकुत्स्थम् भ्रातरम् पालयन् वने || ५-३८-५९
59. tyaktvaa = renouncing; anuttamam = a great; sukham = comfort; dharmaatmaa = the righteous Lakshmana; anugachchhati = followed; paalayam = protecting kaakutthsam = Rama; bhraataram = his elder brother; anukuulyena = acting in an affectionate way towards him; vane = in the forest.
"Renouncing a great comfort, the righteous Lakshmana, acting in an affectionate manner towards Rama, followed him, watching over him in the forest."
सिम्ह स्कन्धो महाबाहुः मनस्वी प्रिय दर्शनः |
पितृवत् वर्तते रामे मातृवन् माम् समाचरन् || ५-३८-६०
60. simhaskandhaH = Lakshmana; who has broad shoulders like that of a lion; mahaabaahuH = mighty armed; mansvii = steady minded; priyadarshinaH = and having pleasant looks; vartate = who behaves; raame = towards Rama; pitR^ivat = as towards his father; samaacharan = and look to; maam = me; maatR^ivat = as his own mother.
"Lakshmana, who has broad shoulders like that ofa lion, mighty-armed, steady-minded and having pleasant looks, behaves towards Rama as towards his father and looks to me as his own mother."
प्रियमाणाम् तदा वीरो न तु माम् वेद लक्ष्मणः |
वृद्ध उपसेवी लक्ष्मीवान् शक्तो न बहु भाषिता || ५-३८-६१
राज पुत्रः प्रिय श्रेष्ठः सदृशः श्वशुरस्य मे |
61. viiraH = the valiant; lakSmaNaH = Lakshmana; tadaa = then; na veda = did not know; maam = me; hriyamaaNaam = as being taken away (by Ravana); vR^iddhopasevii = He serves elders; lakSmiivaan = He has splendour; na bahubhaaSitaa = He does not talk much; shaktaH = (though) capable me shashurasy = to Dasaratha; my father-in-law; sadR^ishaH = he is suitably well; priyaH = a beloved; shreSThaH = and best; raajaputraH = prince.
"The valiant Lakshmana, on that day of occurrence, did not know that I was being taken away by Ravana. He serves elders. He possesses a splendour. Though capable, he does not talk much. To Dasaratha, my father-in-law, he is his replica a beloved and the best prince."
मत्तः प्रियतरो नित्यम् भ्राता रामस्य लक्ष्मणः || ५-३८-६२
नियुक्तो धुरि यस्याम् तु ताम् उद्वहति वीर्यवान् |
62. lakSmaNaH = Lakshmana; bhraataa = the younger brother; raamasya = of Rama; nityam = is always; priyataraH = the one; who is dearer; mam = to me; viiryavaan = the energetic Lakshmana; udvahati = carries out; taam = that; yasyaam = whatever; dhuri = load of work; niyuktaH = is entrusted.
"Lakshmana, the younger brother of Rama is the one who is dearer to me always. That energetic Lakshmana carries out well, whatever load of work is entrusted to him"
यम् दृष्ट्वा राघवो न एव वृद्धम् आर्यम् अनुस्मरत् || ५-३८-६३
स मम अर्थाय कुशलम् वक्तव्यो वचनान् मम |
63. dR^iSTvaa = seeing; yam = whom; raaghavaH = Rama; na anusmaret = does not recollect; vR^ittam = (his) deceased; aaryam = father; saH = that Lakshmana; vaktavyaH = is to be asked; kushalam = about his well-being; mama vachanaat = as my word; mama arthaaya = on my behalf.
"Seeing whom, Rama ceases to recollect his deceased father, that Lakshmana is to be asked about his well-being, as my word and on my behalf."
मृदुः नित्यम् शुचिः दक्षः प्रियो रामस्य लक्ष्मणः || ५-३८-६४
यथा हि वानरश्रेष्ठ दुःखक्षयकरो भवेत् |
त्वमस्मिन् कार्यनिर्योगे प्रमाण हरिसत्तम || ५-३८-६५
64; 65. vaanarashreSTha = O Hanuma; the excellent of monkeys; harisattama = and the best of monkeys!; tvam = you; pramaaNam = are the model; asmin kaaryaniryoge = for fulfilling this act (of addressing him); yathaa bhavet = in such a way; lakSmaNaH = that Lakshmana; mR^iduH = the mild; nityam = ever; shuchiH = pure; dakSaH = and clever; priyaH = darling; raamasya = of Rama; duHkhakSaya karaH = may bring my sorrows to an end.
"O Hanuma, the excellent of monkeys and the best of monkeys! you are the model for fulfilling this act of addressing him in such a way that Lakshmana, the mild, every-pure and clever darling of Rama may bring my sorrows to an end."
राघवस्त्वत्समारम्भान्मयि यत्नपरो भवेत् |
इदम् ब्रूयाः च मे नाथम् शूरम् रामम् पुनः पुनः || ५-३८-६६
66. tvatsamaarambhaat = by your effort; raaghavaH = Rama; bhavet = will become; yatnaparaH = a diligent man; mayi = in my case; bruuyaaH = tell; idam = this; punaH punaH = again and again; raamam = to Rama; me naatham = my lord; shuuram = and the hero.
"Depending on your effort, Rama will be more active with his effort the following words again and again to Rama, my Lord and the hero:"
जीवितम् धारयिष्यामि मासम् दशरथ आत्मज |
ऊर्ध्वम् मासान् न जीवेयम् सत्येन अहम् ब्रवीमि ते || ५-३८-६७
67. dasharathaatmaja = O Rama!; dhaarayiSyaami = I shall hold; jiivitam = my life; maasam = for a month; na jiiveyam = I cannot survive; uurdhvam = after; maasaat = a month; aham = I; braviimi = am telling; te = you; satyena = by truth.
"O Rama! I shall hold my life for a month. I cannot survive after a month I am telling you the truth."
रावणेन उपरुद्धाम् माम् निकृत्या पाप कर्मणा |
त्रातुम् अर्हसि वीर त्वम् पातालात् इव कौशिकीम् || ५-३८-६८
68. viira = O valiant man!; tvam = you; arhasi = are required; traatum = to protect; maam = me; uparuddhaam = who is detained; raavaNena = by Ravana; paapakarmaNaa = the criminal; nikR^ityaa = with humiliation; kaushikiimiva = (as you protected) Indra the Lord of celestials and Lakshmi the goddess of prosperity; paataalaat = from the abode of serpents and demons.
"O valiant man! You are required to rescue me, detained (as I am) by Ravana the criminal and subjected to humiliation, as you (as Lord Vishnu) earlier protected Indra the Lord of celestials and Lakshmi the goddess of prosperity from the abode of servants and demons."
ततो वस्त्र गतम् मुक्त्वा दिव्यम् चूडा मणिम् शुभम् |
प्रदेयो राघवाय इति सीता हनुमते ददौ || ५-३८-६९
69. tataH = then; muktvaa = untying; shubham = the bright; divyam = divine; chuuDaamaNim = jewel for her head; vastragatam = tied in her garment; siitaa = Seetha; dadau = gave (it); hanumate = to Hanuma; iti = saying; pradeyaH = that it might be delivered; raaghavaaya = to Rama.
Then, untying the bright devine jewel for her head tied in her garment, Seetha gave it to Hanuma, saying that it might be handed over to Rama.
प्रतिगृह्य ततो वीरो मणि रत्नम् अनुत्तमम् |
अन्गुल्या योजयामास न हि अस्या प्राभवत् भुजः || ५-३८-७०
70. pratigR^ihya = taking; anuttamam = the excellent; maNiratnam = jewel; viiraH = the valiant Hanuma; tataH = thereupon; yojayaamaasa = fitted it; aN^gulyaa = to his finger; asya bhujaH = (since) his arm; (eventhough he had assumed his former tiny form) na praabhavat hi = was not fitting (to it).
Taking the excellent jewel, the valiant Hanuma thereupon fitted it to his finger, since his arm (eventhough he had assumed his former tiny form), was not fitting to it properly.
मणि रत्नम् कपि वरः प्रतिगृह्य अभिवाद्य च |
सीताम् प्रदक्षिणम् कृत्वा प्रणतः पार्श्वतः स्थितः || ५-३८-७१
71. pratigR^ihya = receiving; maNiratnam = that jewel; kapivaraH = Hanuma the best among the monkeys; abhivaadya cha = offered his salutation; siitaam = to Seetha; pradakSiNam kR^itvaa = engaging in circumambulation; sthitaH = and stood; paarshvataH = aside; namrataH = with humbleness.
Receiving that jewel, Hanuma the best among the monkeys, offered his salutation to seetha, by engaging himself in circumambulation and stood aside with humbleness.
हर्षेण महता युक्तः सीता दर्शनजेन सः |
हृदयेन गतो रामम् शरीरेण तु विष्ठितः || ५-३८-७२
72. yuktaH = enjoined; mahataa = harSeNa = with a great delight; siitaadarshanajena = born out of Seetha's discovery saH = that Hanuma; hR^idayena gataH = mentally sought (the presence); raamam = of Rama; viSThitaH = but stood there; shariireNatu = with his physical body alone.
Filled with a great delight, born out of Seetha's discovery by him, that Hanuma mentally sought (the presence) of Rama but stood there with just his physical body.
मणि वरम् उपगृह्य तम् महाअर्हम् |
जनक नृप आत्मजया धृतम् प्रभावात् |
गिरि वर पवन अवधूत मुक्तः |
सुखित मनाः प्रतिसम्क्रमम् प्रपेदे || ५-३८-७३
73. upagR^ihya = taking; tam maNivaram = that excellent jewel; mahaarham = the highly venerable one; dhR^itam = worn; janakanR^ipaatmajayaa = by Seetha; prabhaavaat = and by its influence; pavanaavadhuuta muktaH giririva = resembling one who was shaken by a blast coming from the top of a huge mountain; (Hanuma); sukhita manaaH = mentally pleased; prapede = set out for; pratisamkramam = crossing the ocean in return.
Taking that excellent and highly venerable jewel, worn by Seetha and by its influence resembling one who was shaken by a blast coming from the top of a huge mountain, Hanuma was mentally pleased and set out for crossing the ocean in his return journey.
- - -
इत्यार्षे श्रीमद्रामायणे आदिकाव्ये सुन्दरकाण्डे अष्टत्रिंशः सर्गः
|Top of Page||1||2||3||4|
© December, 2005, K. M. K. Murthy
rama and verse
This page uploaded by Go FTP FREE Client