Seetha was both delighted and depressed respectively on hearing Rama's episode from Hanuma and Rama's overwhelmed sorrow caused by his dissociation from her. She beseeches Hanuma to arrange for Rama's arrival to Lanka to meet her within two months, the period remaining out of the time-limit for her survival given by Ravana. Hanuma consoles Seetha, saying that Rama would surely come to see her. He also offers Seetha to carry her on his back to Rama's presence at Prasravana Mountain. Looking to the small size of Hanuma's body; Seetha doubts his capability to do it. Then, Hanuma assumes a gigantic form, so as to inspire confidence in Seetha. However, explaining various reasons, Seetha declines to go with him and requests Hanuma to bring her husband to Lanka.
saa siitaa tat vacanam shrutvaa puurNa candra nibha aananaa |
hanuumantam uvaaca idam dharma artha sahitam vacaH || 5-37-1
1. shrutvaa = hearing; hanuumantam = Hanuma's words; saa = that; siitaa = Seetha; puurNachandra nibhaananaa = with her face resembling the full moon; uvaacha = spoke; idam = these; vachaH = words; dharmaarthasahitam = supported by justice; and utility; hanuumantam = to Hanuma.
Hearing Hanuma's words, Seetha whose face resembled the full moon, spoke the following words braced with justice and utility, to Hanuma.
amR^itam viSha sa.nsR^iShTam tvayaa vaanara bhaaShitam |
yac ca na anya manaa raamo yac ca shoka paraayaNaH || 5-37-2
2. vaanara = O Hanuma!; bhaaSitam = the words spoken; tvayaa = by you; raamaH = (that) Rama; anyamanaaH na iti yat = is not having any other thoughts; shoka paraayaNaH iti cha yat = and is fully overwhelmed by sorrow; amR^itam = (are like) ambrosia; viSa samsR^iSTam = filled with poisons.
"O Hanuma! The words spoken by you viz. that Rama is not having any other thoughts (than on me) and is fully overwhelmed by sorrow are like ambrosia mixed with poisons."
aishvarye vaa suvistiirNe vyasane vaa sudaaruNe |
rajjvaa iva puruSham baddhvaa kR^ita antaH parikarShati || 5-37-3
3. kR^itaantaH = destiny; parikarSati = drags out; puruSam = a man; suvistiirNe aishvaryavaa = into a very extensive fortune; atidaaruNe vyasane vaa = or into a very dreadful adversity; rajjvaa baddhvaa iva = as (dragged out) bound with ropes.
"Destiny drags out a man into a very extensive fortune or into a very dreadful adversity, as if being dragged, tied with ropes."
vidhiH nuunam asamhaaryaH praaNinaam plavaga uttama |
saumitrim maam ca raamam ca vyasanaiH pashya mohitaan || 5-37-4
4. plavagottama = O Hanuma the best of monkeys!; praaNinaam = for living beings; vidhiH = destiny; nuunam = is surely; asamhaaryaH = irresistible; pashya = see; saumitrim = Lakshmana; maamcha = myself; raamamcha = and Rama; mohitaan = are bewildered; vyasanaiH = by misfortunes.
"O Hanuma the best of monkeys! For living beings, destiny is surely irresistible. See how Lakshmana, myself and Rama are baffled by misfortunes."
shokasya asya kadaa paaram raaghavo adhigamiShyati |
plavamaanaH parishraanto hata nauH saagare yathaa || 5-37-5
5. kadaa = when; raaghavaH = will Rama; parishraantaH yathaa = as a thoroughly fatigued man; plavamaanaH = swimming; hatanauH = having his ship wrecked; saagare = in (the middle of) the sea; adhigamiSyati = indeed reach; paaram = the end; asya shokasya = of this grief?
"When will Rama reach the end of this grief any more than a thoroughly fatigued man, having suffered a ship wreck is swimming in the middle of the sea?"
raakShasaanaam kShayam kR^itvaa suudayitvaa ca raavaNam |
lankaam unmuulitaam kR^itvaa kadaa drakShyati maam patiH || 5-37-6
6. kadaa = when; drakSyati patiH = will my husband see; maam = me; vadham kR^itvaa = after annihilation; raakSasaam = of demons; suudayitvaa = killing; raavaNam cha = Ravana too; kR^itvaa = and making; laN^kaam = the city of Lanka; unmuulitaam = debacled?"
"When will my husband see me, after annihilation of the demons, killing of Ravana and making the City of Lanka debacled?."
sa vaacyaH samtvarasva iti yaavat eva na puuryate |
ayam samvatsaraH kaalaH taavadt hi mama jiivitam || 5-37-7
7. yaavadeva = till; ayam = this; samvatsara kaalaH = period of one year; na puuryate = is not completed; saH = that Rama; vaachyaH = is to be told; samtvarasveti = to make haste; mama = (since) my; jiivitam = survival; taavaddhi = will indeed be till that time.
"Till the current period of one year is not completed, that Rama is to be told to make haste to save me; since my life will be lasting till such time only."
vartate dashamo maaso dvau tu sheShau plavamgama |
raavaNena nR^isha.nsena samayo yaH kR^ito mama || 5-37-8
8. plavaN^gama = O Hanuma!; yaH = In that; samayaH = time; kR^itaH = given; mama = to me; nR^ishamsena raavaNena = by the cruel RavanaH; dashamaH = the tenth; maasaH = month; vartate = is running; dvau tu = only two months; sheshau = are left.
"O Hanuma! Out of the time-limit given to me by the cruel Ravana for my survival, the tenth month is now running. Only two months are left out."
vibhiiShaNena ca bhraatraa mama niryaatanam prati |
anuniitaH prayatnena na ca tat kurute matim || 5-37-9
9. anuniitaH = (even if) humbly entreated; prayatnena = with continued exertion; vibhiiSaNena = by Vibhishana bhraatraa = his brother; mama niryaatanam prati = about my giving back; a kurute = (Ravana) is not making up; matim = his mind; tat = in that matter.
"Even when humbly entreated with continued exertion by Vibhishana his brother about my restoration (to Rama), Ravana is not making up his mind to do so."
mama pratipradaanam hi raavaNasya na rocate |
raavaNam maargate samkhye mR^ityuH kaala vasham gatam || 5-37-10
10. mama prati pradaanam = my restoration; na rochate = is not agreeable; raavaNasya = to Ravana; samkhye = In the battle; mR^ityuH = death; maargate = is seeking; raavaNam = for Ravana; kaala vashamgatam = who has become subject to the power of time.
"My restoration is not agreeable to Ravana. In the battle, death lies in wait for Ravana, who has become subject to the power of Time."
jyeShThaa kanyaa analaa nama vibhiiShaNa sutaa kape |
tayaa mama etat aakhyaatam maatraa prahitayaa svayam || 5-37-11
11. kape = O Hanuma!; nalaa = Nala; jyeSThaa = the eldest; kanyaa = maiden; vibhiiSaNa sutaa = daughter of Vibhishana; prahitayaa = sent; svayam = personally; tayaa = by her; maatraa = mother; aakhyaatam = told; mama = me; idam = this.
"O Hanuma! Nala, the eldest maiden daughter of Vibhishana, when she was sent personally to me by her mother, told me about this."
aasha.nsa iti hari shreShTha kShipram maam praapsyate patiH |
antaH aatmaa hi me shuddhaH tasmin ca bahavo guNaaH || 5-37-12
12. harishreSTha = O Hanuma the excellent of monkeys!; patiH = Rama; my husband; asamshayam = without doubt; praapasyasi = will obtain; maam = me; kSipram = soon; me = My; antaraatmaacha = heart; shuddhaH = is pure; tasmimshcha = In that Rama also; bahavaH = (there are) many; guNaaH = good qualities.
"O Hanuma the excellent of monkeys! Rama, my husband, will soon regain me without any doubt. Because my heart is pure and in Rama also, there are many good qualities existing."
utsaahaH pauruSham sattvam aanR^isha.nsyam kR^itaj~nataa |
vikramaH ca prabhaavaH ca santi vaanara raaghave || 5-37-13
13. vaanara = O Hanuma!; raaghave = In Rama; utsaahaH = perseverance; paruSam = manliness; sattvam = courage; anR^ishamsyam = non-mischievousness; kR^itaJNataa = gratitude; vikramashcha = prowess; prabhaavashcha = and energy; santi = are there.
"O Hanuma! In Rama are figured, pesseverence, manliness, courage, non-mischievousness, gratitude, prowess and energy."
caturdasha sahasraaNi raakShasaanaam jaghaana yaH |
jana sthaane vinaa bhraatraa shatruH kaH tasya na udvijet || 5-37-14
14. yaH = which Rama; vinaabhraatraa = without the help of Lakshmana; his brother; janasthaane = in Janasthana; part of the forest; kaH = which shatruH = adversary; nodvijet = will not have fear; tasya = of such Rama?
"Which Rama, who without the help of Lakshmana his brother, killed fourteen thousand demos in Janasthana (part of the forest), what adversary will not have fear of such a man?"
na sa shakyaH tulayitum vyasanaiH puruSha R^iShabhaH |
aham tasya anubhaavaj~naa shakrasya iva pulomajaa || 5-37-15
15. saH = that Rama; puruSarSabhaH = the excellent of men; na shakyaH = is not compelled; tulayitum = to be moved; vyasanaiH = by troubles; aham = I; prabhaavaJNaa = know the energy; tasya = of Rama; pulomajaa = as Shachi; the wife of Indra; shakrasyeva = (knows) of Indra the Lord of celestials.
"Rama, the excellent among men, is not compelled to be moved by troubles. I now well the energy of Rama, as Shachi the wife of Indra knows the energy of Indra the Lord of celestials."
shara jaala a.nshumaan shuuraH kape raama divaa karaH |
shatru rakShomayam toyam upashoSham nayiShyati || 5-37-16
16. kape = O Hanuma!; shuuraH = the powerful; raama divaakaraH = Rama like the sun; shara jaalaamshumaan = with his multitude of ray-like arrows; nayiSyati = will get; toyam = the water; shatrurakSau ayam = of adversaries as demons; upashoSam = dried up.
"O Hanuma! The powerful Rama like the sun, with his multitude of ray-like arrows, will dry up the water in the form of hostile adversaries."
iti samjalpamaanaam taam raama arthe shoka karshitaam |
ashru sampuurNa vadanaam uvaaca hanumaan kapiH || 5-37-17
17. kapiH = Hanuma; uvaacha = spoke; vachanam = (the following) words; taam = to Seetha; samjalpamaanam = who was talking; iti = thus; shoka karshitaam = who was emaciated with grief; raamarthe = for Rama; ashrusampuurNanayanaam = and with her eyes full of tears.
Hanuma spoke the following words to Seetha, who was thus talking with grief for Rama and with her eyes full of tears."
shrutvaa eva tu vaco mahyam kShipram eShyati raaghavaH |
camuum prakarShan mahatiim hari R^ikSha gaNa samkulaam || 5-37-18
18. shrutvaiva = soon after hearing; mama = my; vachaH = words; raaghavaH = Rama; kSipram = will soon; eSyati = come; prakarSan = engaging; mahatiim = a great; chamuum = army; haryR^ikSaguNa samkulaam = comprising a multitude of monkeys and bears.
"Soon after hearing my words, Rama will soon come, engaging a great army comprising of a multitude of monkeys and bears with him."
athavaa mocayiShyaami taam adya eva hi raakShasaat |
asmaat duhkhaat upaaroha mama pR^iShTham anindite || 5-37-19
19. varaanane = O Seetha with a charming face!; athavaa = Or rather; mochayiSyaami = I shal relieve; tvaam = you; asmaatduHkhaat = from this grief; adyaiva = now itself; anindite = O irreproachable lady!; upaaroha = Ascend; mama pR^iSTham = my back.
"O Seetha with a charming face! Or rather, I shall relieve you from this grief now itself. O irreproachable lady! Ascend my back. I shall take you to Rama."
tvam hi pR^iShTha gataam kR^itvaa samtariShyaami saagaram |
shaktiH asti hi me voDhum lankaam api saraavaNaam || 5-37-20
20. tvaam pR^iSTha gataam kR^itvaa = I shall cause you sit on my back; samtariSyaami = and cross; saagaram = the ocean; me = to me; shaktiH asti hi = there is indeed capacity; voDhum = to carry; laN^kaam api = Lanka too; saraavaNam = along with Ravana.
"I shall cause you sit on my back and cross the ocean. I have indeed capacity to carry even Lanka together with Ravana."
aham prasravaNasthaaya raaghavaaya adya maithili |
praapayiShyaami shakraaya havyam hutam iva analaH || 5-37-21
21. maithili = O Seetha!; adyaiva = now itself; aham = I; praapayiSyaami = shall cause you to attain; raaghavaaya = Rama; prasravaNasthaaya = who is stationed at Prasravana Mountain; analah = even as fire-god; (hands over); havyam hutam = the oblations offered; shakraaya = to Indra the Lord of celestials.
"O Seetha! Now itself, I shall cause you to reach Rama who is staying at Prasravana Mountain, even as fire-god hands over the oblations offered in the sacrifices to Indra the Lord of celestials."
drakShyasi adya eva vaidehi raaghavam saha lakShmaNam |
vyavasaaya samaayuktam viShNum daitya vadhe yathaa || 5-37-22
22. vaidehi = O Seetha!; adyaiva = now itself; drakSyasi = you can see; raaghavam = Rama; sahalakSmaNam = together with Lakshmana; vyavasaaya samaayuktam = getting ready for a strenuous effort ( to annihilate the demons); viSnum yathaa = as Vishnu the Lord of preservation; (is getting ready); daitya vadhe = for annihilation of demons.
"O Seetha! Now itself, you can see Rama together with Lakshmana, getting ready for a strenuous effort to annihilate the demons, as Vishnu the Lord of Preservation getting ready for killing of demons."
tvat darshana kR^ita utsaaham aashramastham mahaabalam |
pura.ndaram iva aasiinam naaga raajasya muurdhani || 5-37-23
23. mahaabalan = the mighty Rama; tvaddarshana kR^itotsaaham = with a gusto to see you; ashramastham = is staying in a hermitage; puramdaramiva = even as Indra the destroyer of strong holds; aasiinam = sitting; top of Airavata the elephant.
"The mighty Rama, with a gusto to see you, is staying in a hermitage, even as Indra the destroyer of strong-holds sitting on the back of Airavata the elephant."
pR^iShTham aaroha me devi maa vikaankShasva shobhane |
yogam anvicchha raameNa shasha ankena iva rohiNii || 5-37-24
24. shobhane devi = O Seetha the auspicious princess!; aaroha = Ascend; mama = my; pR^iSTham = back; maa vichaaraya = do not have hesitation; anvichchha = be inclined; yogam = of joining; raameNa = with Rama; rohiNii iva = as Rohini moon's favourite wife; shashaaN^ka = (went) to the moon
"O Seetha the auspicious princess! Mount on my back. Do not have any hesitation. Be inclined of joining Rama even as Rohini, moon's favourite wife, joined the moon."
kathayanti iva candreNa suuryeNa iva suvarcalaa |
mat pR^iShTham adhiruhya tvam tara aakaasha mahaaarNavam || 5-37-25
25. tvam = you; adhiruhya = ascend; matpR^iSTham = my back; tara = and cross; aakaashamahaarNavau = the sky and the ocean; kathayantiiva = as though speaking; mahaarchiSaa suuryeNa = to the greatly resplendent sun; chandreNa = and to the moon.
"You ascend my back and cross the ocean by journeying through the sky, as though speaking to the greatly resplendent sun and to the moon."
na hi me samprayaatasya tvaam ito nayato angane |
anugantum gatim shaktaaH sarve lankaa nivaasinaH || 5-37-26
26. aaNgane = O Seetha!; anugantam = following; me = my; gatim = way; samprayaatasya = of the journey; nayataH = talking; tvaam = you; itaH = from here; sarve = all; laN^ka nivaasinaH = the residents of Lanka; na shaktaaH = are not competent.
"O Seetha! While I am taking you from here, no body staying in Lanka is competent to come along with me."
yathaa eva aham iha praaptaH tathaiva aham asa.nshayam |
yaasyaami pashya vaidehi tvaam udyamya vihaayasam || 5-37-27
27. vaidehi = O Seetha; yathaiva = In what manner; aham = I; praaptaH = reached; iha = here; tathaiva = in the same manner; yaasyaami = I shall move; vihaayasam = through the sky; tvaam udyamya = lifting you up; pashya = see; asamshayam = there is no doubt.
"O Seetha! In what manner I reached here, in the same manner, I shall move through the sky, taking you along with me. See, there is no doubt."
maithilii tu hari shreShThaat shrutvaa vacanam adbhutam |
harSha vismita sarva angii hanuumantam atha abraviit || 5-37-28
28. shrutvaa = hearing; adbhutam = the surprising; vachanam = words; harishreSThaat = from Hanuma; maithiliitu = Seetha then; harSa vismita sarvaaNgii = with her entire body astonished with joy; atha = thereafter; abraviit = spoke; hanumantam = to Hanuma (as follows):
Hearing those astonishing words from Hanuma, Seetha with her entire limbs flowered with joy, thereafter spoke to Hanuma (as follows):
hanuuman duuram adhvanam katham maam voDhum icchhasi |
tat eva khalu te manye kapitvam hari yuuthapa || 5-37-29
29. hanuman = O Hanuma!; katham = how; ichchhasi = are you wishing; voDhum = to carry; maam = me; duuram adhvaanam- for such a long distance?; hariyuuthapa = O chief of monkeys!; manye = I consider; tadeva khalu = that itself indeed; te = (as) your; kapitvam = apishness.
"O Hanuma! How are you wishing to carry me for such a long distance? O chief of monkeys! I consider this indeed as your apishness!"
katham vaa alpa shariiraH tvam maam ito netum icchhasi |
sakaasham maanava indrasya bhartuH me plavaga R^iShabha || 5-37-30
30. plavagarSabha = O the excellent of monkeys! katham vaa = how do; tvam = you; alpashaiiraH = with such a small body; ichchhasi = wish; netum = to take; (me); itaH = from here; sakaasham = to the presence; bhartuH maanavaendrasya = of my husband; Rama the Lord of human beings.
"O Hanuma the best of monkeys! With such a small seized body, how do you wish to take me from here to the presence of my husband, Rama the Lord of human beings?"
siitaayaa vacanam shrutvaa hanuumaan maaruta aatmajaH |
cintayaamaasa lakShmiivaan navam paribhavam kR^itam || 5-37-31
31. shrutvaa = hearing; vachanam = the words; siitaayaaH = of Seetha; lakSmiivaan = the illustrious; hanumaan = Hanuma; maarutaatmajaH = the son of wind-god; chintayaamaasa = thought; navam = that a new; paribhavam = insult; kR^itam = was caused (to him)
Hearing the words of Seetha, the illustrious Hanuma, the son of wind-god thought it to be the first insult was caused to him.
na me jaanaati sattvam vaa prabhaavam vaa asita iikShaNaa |
tasmaat pashyatu vaidehii yat ruupam mama kaamataH || 5-37-32
32. vaidehii = Seetha; asitekSaNaa = having black eyes; na jaanaati = is not aware; sattvam vaa = of my strength; prabhaavam vaa = or power; tasmaat = that is why; pashyatu = let her see; mama = my; yat = whatever; ruupam = form; kaamataH = (I can disguise) at my will.
(Hanuma said to himself); "The black-eyed Seetha is not aware of my strength or power. That is why, let her see the form I can assume at will."
iti sa.ncintya hanumaan tadaa plavaga sattamaH |
darshayaamaasa vaidehyaaH svaruupam ari mardanaH || 5-37-33
33. hanumaan = Hanuma; plavagasattamah = the best of monkeys; arimardanaH = and the annihilator of enemies; iti = thus; samchitya = thinking; tadaa = then; darshayaamaasa = showed; svaruupam = his peculiarity; vaidehyaaH = to Seetha.
Hanuma, the best of monkeys and the annihilator of enemies, thinking in this way, then showed his peculiarity to Seetha.
sa tasmaat paadapaat dhiimaan aaplutya plavaga R^iShabhaH |
tato vardhitum aarebhe siitaa pratyaya kaaraNaat || 5-37-34
34. saH = that Hanuma; dhiimaan = the intelligent; plavagarSabhaH = and the excellent of monkeys; aaplutya = jumped down; tasmaat paadapaat = from that tree; tataH = and then; siitaapratyayakaaraNaat = to creat confidence in Seetha; aarebhe = started; vardhitum = to increase (his body).
Hanuma, the intelligent and the excellent of monkeys, leaped down from that tree and then, to create confidence in Seetha, started to increase his body-form.
meru mandaara samkaasho babhau diipta anala prabhaH |
agrato vyavatasthe ca siitaayaa vaanara R^iShabhaH || 5-37-35
35. vaanarottomaH = Hanuma; the best of monkeys; babhau = flashed; meru mandarasamkaashaH = like Meru and Mandara mountains; diiptaanalaprabhaH = shinning brightly like a blazing fire; vyavabasthecha = (He) stood too; agrataH = in front; siitaayaaH = of Seetha.
Hanuma, the foremost of monkeys, flashed like Meru and Mandara mountains, shining brightly like a blazing fire. He thus stood too in front of Seetha.
hariH parvata samkaashaH taamra vaktro mahaabalaH |
vajra damShTra nakho bhiimo vaidehiim idam abraviit || 5-37-36
36. mahaabalaH = the mighty; hariH = Hanuma; parvata samkaashaH = resembling a mountain; taamravaktraH = having a red face; vajradamSTra nakhaH = having teeth and nails as hard as adamant; bhiimaH = and terrific in appearance; abraviit = spoke; idam = these; vaidehiim = to Seetha.
The mighty Hanuma, resembling a mountain, having a red face, having teeth and nails as hard as adamant and terrific in appearance, spoke the following words to Seetha.
saparvata vana uddeshaam saaTTa praakaara toraNaam |
lankaam imaam sanathaam vaa nayitum shaktiH asti me || 5-37-37
37. me = to me; asti = there is; shaktiH = capability; nayitum = to carry; immam = this; laN^kaam vaa = Lanka; saparvatavanoddeshaam = along with its hills and forest-areas; saaTTa praakaara toraNaam = together with its market-places; defensive walls and arches; sanaathaam = and its Lord Ravana.
"To me, there is capability to carry this Lanka along with its hills, forest-areas, market-places, defensive walls and arches together with its Lord Ravana himself."
tat avasthaapya taam buddhiH alam devi vikaankShayaa |
vishokam kuru vaidehi raaghavam saha lakShmaNam || 5-37-38
38. devi = O princess!; tat = for that reason; alam = enough; vikaaN^kaSayaa = of your suspicion; buddhiH avasthaapyataam = let your mind be steady; vaidehi = O Seetha!; kuru = make; raaghavam = Rama; sahakakSmaNam = along with Lakshmana; vishokam = bereft of grief.
"O princess! For this reason, leave your suspicion and keep you mind steady. Come along with me and make Rama and Lakshmana bereft of grief."
tam dR^iShTvaa acala samkaasham uvaaca janaka aatmajaa |
padma patra vishaala akShii maarutasya aurasam sutam || 5-37-39
39. janakaatmajaa = Seetha; padmapatra vishaalaakSii = with her large eyes resembling; lotus-petals; uvaacha = spoke; dR^iSTvaa = seeing; tam = that Hanuma; bhiima samkaasham = who was terrific; aurasam sutam = who is the son; maarutasya = of wind-god.
Seetha, with her large eyes resembling lotus-petals, spoke to that terrific Hanuma, the son of wind-god (as follows)
tava sattvam balam caiva vijaanaami mahaakape |
vaayoH iva gatim ca api tejaH ca agniH iva adbhutam || 5-37-40
40. mahaakape = o great monkey!; vijaanaami = I know; tava = you; sattvam = courage; balamchaiva = strength; gatim = power of movement; vaayoriva = like that of wind; adbhutam = wonderful; tejashcha = brilliance; agneriva = like that of fire.
"O great monkey! I know fully well your courage, strength, your power of movement like that of the wind and your wonderful brilliance like that of the fire."
praakR^ito anyaH katham ca imaam bhuumim aagantum arhati |
udadheH aprameyasya paaram vaanara pumgava || 5-37-41
41. vaanara puN^gava = O the best of monkeys!; katham = how; praakR^itaH anyaH = can any other common person; arhati = be fit; paaram = (to reach) this shore; aprameyasya udadheH = of the unfathomable ocean; aagantam = and to come; imaam = to this; bhuumim = place?
"O the best of monkeys! How can any other common person cross this unfathomable ocean and reach this place?"
jaanaami gamane shaktim nayane ca api te mama |
avashyam saampradhaarya aashu kaarya siddhiH iha aatmanaH || 5-37-42
42. jaanaami = I know; shaktim = your capacity; gamane = in going; mama = and in my; nayane = carrying; avashyam sampradhaaryaa = It is surely determinable; aashu = quickly; kaaryasiddhiH = about the accomplishment of work; mahaatmanaH = by the high-souled Rama.
"I know your capacity of carrying and taking me from here. However, we have to determine soon whether the accomplishment of work by the high souled Rama would not thus get spoiled."
ayuktam tu kapi shreShTha mayaa gantum tvayaa saha |
vaayu vega savegasya vego maam mohayet tava || 5-37-43
43. anagha = O the faultless one!; kapishreSTha = O the excellent of monkeys!; ayuktam = It is not proper; mama = for me; gantum = to go; tvayaa = with you; tava = your; vegaH = speed; vaayuvega savegasya = resembling winds speed; mohayet = may bewilder; maam = me.
"O the faultless one! O the excellent of monkeys! It is not befitting of me to go with you. For, your speed resembling the winds speed, may bewilder my mind."
aham aakaasham aasaktaa upari upari saagaram |
prapateyam hi te pR^iShThaat bhayaat vegena gacchhataH || 5-37-44
44. aham = I; aapannaa = reaching; aakaasham = the sky; saagaram uparyupari = high above the sea; prapateyam = will fall down; bhayaat = out of fear; pR^iSThaat = from the back; te = of you; gachchhataH = who are going; vegena = speed."
"Reaching the sky high above the sea, I will fall down out of fear from your back even as you sweep with speed."
patitaa saagare ca aham timi nakra jhaSha aakule |
bhayeyam aashu vivashaa yaadasaam annam uttamam || 5-37-45
45. aham = I; patitaa = having fallen; vivashaa = insensible; saagare = into the sea; timi nakra jhaSaakule = filled with sharks; crocodiles and giant fish; bhaveyam = may become; uttamam = the best; annam = food; aashu = soon; yaadasaam = for the aquatic creatures.
"Having fallen insensible into the sea, which is filled with sharks, crocodiles and giant fish, I may become the best food soon for the aquatic creatures."
na ca shakShye tvayaa saardham gantum shatru vinaashana |
kalatravati sa.ndehaH tvayi api syaat asa.nshayam || 5-37-46
46. shatruvinaashana = O Hanuma the annihilator of enemies!; na shakSye cha = It is not possible for me; gantum = to go; tvayaa saartham = along with you; syaat = there will be; samdehaH = a risk; tvayyapi = too for you; ka Latravati = having a lady to protect; asamshayaH = there is no doubt.
"O Hanuma the annihilator of enemies! It is not possible for me to go with you. There will also be a risk for you, having me a lady additionally to protect. There is no doubt."
hriyamaaNaam tu maam dR^iShTvaa raakShasaa bhiima vikramaaH |
anugacchheyuH aadiShTaa raavaNena duraatmanaa || 5-37-47
47. dR^iSTvaa = seeing; maam = me; hriyamaaNaam = being taken away; raakSasaaH = the demons; bhiima vikramaaH = with their terrific prowess; aadiSTaah = ordered; raavaNena duraatmanaaH = the evil minded Ravana; anugachchheyuH = will follow.
"Seeing me being taken away by you, the demons of terrific prowess, incited by the evil-minded Ravana, will follow you."
taiH tvam parivR^itaH shuuraiH shuulam udgara paaNibhiH |
bhaveH tvam sa.nshayam praapto mayaa viira kalatravaan || 5-37-48
48. viira = O brave monkey! tvam = you; parivR^itaH = will be surrounded; taiH shuuraiH = by those valiant demons; shuula mudgara paaNibhiH = wielding darts and clubs in their hands; kaLatravaan = (Accompanied) by a lady; mayaa = in me; tvam bhaveH = you will be; praptaH = getting; samshayam = a risk.
"O brave monkey! Those valiant demons wielding darts and clubs in their hands will surround you. Accompanied by a lady in me, you will be at a risk."
saayudhaa bahavo vyomni raakShasaaH tvam niraayudhaH |
katham shakShyasi samyaatum maam caiva parirakShitum || 5-37-49
49. bahavaH = Many; raakSasaaH = demons (will come); saayudhaaH = with their weapons; vyomni = in the sky; tvam = you; niraayudhaH = will be without weapons; katham = how; shakSyasi = will you be capable; samyaatum = of travelling; parirakSitumcha = and protecting; maam = me?
"Many demons will come with their weapons, in the sky. You will be alone without any weapon. How can you continue your travel, while protecting me?"
yudhyamaanasya rakShobhiH tataH taiH kruura karmabhiH |
prapateyam hi te pR^iShThat bhaya aartaa kapi sattama || 5-37-50
50. kapisattama = O the best of monkeys!; tava = (While) you; yuddhyamaanasya = will be resorting to battle; taiH rakSobhiH = with those demons; kruura karmabhiH = who perform cruel acts; bhayaartaa = becoming frightened; prapateyam hi = I will indeed fall down; te pR^iSThaat = from your back.
"O the best of monkeys! While you will be resorting to battle with those demons, who perform cruel acts, I, stricken with fear, may fall down from your back."
atha rakShaa.nsi bhiimaani mahaanti balavanti ca |
katha.ncit saamparaaye tvaam jayeyuH kapi sattama || 5-37-51
51. kapisattama = O the excellent of monkeys!; atha = thereafter; rakSaamsi = the demons; bhiimaani = of fearful form; mahaanti = with their giant bodies; balavanticha = and powerful ones; jayeyuH = will conquer; tvaam = you; saamparaaye = in battle; kathamchit = somehow or other.
"O excellent of monkeys! Then the powerful and terrific demons with their giant bodies will conquer you in battle, somehow or other."
athavaa yudhyamaanasya pateyam vimukhasya te |
patitaam ca gR^ihiitvaa maam nayeyuH paapa raakShasaaH || 5-37-52
52. athavaa = otherwise; te = (while) you; vimukhasya = are indifferent of me; yudhyamaanasya = and resort to the battle; pateyam = I may fall down; paaparaakSasaaH = the wicked demons; gR^ihiitvaa = catching hold; maam = of me; patitaam = fallen; nayeyuH = may take me away.
"Otherwise, if you are indifferent of me and resort to battle, I may eventually fall down. Then, the wicked demons, catching hold of me fallen, may take me again to Lanka."
maam vaa hareyuH tvadt hastaat vishaseyuH atha api vaa |
avyavasthau hi dR^ishyete yuddhe jaya paraajayau || 5-37-53
53. maam hareyuH = (or) they may take me awa; tvaddhastaat = from your hand; vaa = or; vishaseyuH = or may even kill (me); yuddhe = In battle; jayaapajayau = victory and defeat; dR^ishyete hi = indeed are being seen; avyavasthau = as unsettled.
"Or they may take me away from your hand, or may even kill me. In battle, victory and defeat are perceived as uncertain."
aham vaa api vipadyeyam rakShobhiH abhitarjitaa |
tvat prayatno hari shreShTha bhaven niShphala eva tu || 5-37-54
54. harishreSTha = O the best of monkeys!; vaa = or; aham = (while) I; abhitarjitaa = am frightened; rakSobhih = by the demons; vipadyeyam api = I may get into a calamity; tvatprayatnaH = your effort; bhavet = will become; niSphala eva tu = futile indeed.
"O the best of monkeys! Or while I am frightened by the demons, I may get into a mishap. Thus, your effort may become futile indeed!"
kaamam tvam api paryaapto nihantum sarva raakShasaan |
raaghavasya yasho hiiyet tvayaa shastaiH tu raakShasaiH || 5-37-55
55. tvam = you; paryaaptaH asi kaamam = may be surely sufficient; nihantum = to kill; sarva raakSasaan = all the demons; raakSasaiH = all by the demons; shastaiH = killed; tvayaa = by you; raaghavasya = Rama's yashaH = celebrity; hiiyeti = will be lowered.
"You may be surely able to kill all the demons. But if you alone kill all the demons, Rama's celebrity will be lowered."
athavaa aadaaya rakShaa.nsi nyasyeyuH samvR^ite hi maam |
yatra te na abhijaaniiyuH harayo na api raaghavaH || 5-37-56
56. athavaa = otherwise; rakSaamsi = the demons; aadaaya = after having taken; maam = me; nyaseyuH = may keep; yatra samvR^ite = in which secret place; naabhijaaniiyuH = that will not be known; te harayaH = to those monkeys; raaghavau.api = or even to Rama and Lakshmana.
"Otherwise, the demons may take me away and hide me in any secret place that will not be known by those monkeys or even Rama and Lakshmana."
aarambhaH tu mat artho ayam tataH tava nirarthakaH |
tvayaa hi saha raamasya mahaan aagamane guNaH || 5-37-57
57. tataH = then; tava = your; aarabhastu = effort; madarthaH = taken for my sake; nivarthakaH = will become futile; mahaan = there is a great; guNaH = merit; aagamane = in coming; raamasya = of Rama; tvayaa saha = along with you.
"Then your effort taken for my sake will become futile. That is why there is a great merit in Rama's coming here along with you."
mayi jiivitam aayattam raaghavasya mahaatmanaH |
bhraatR^iR^iNaam ca mahaabaaho tava raaja kulasya ca || 5-37-58
58. mahaabaaho = O the long armed monkey!; jiivitam = the survival; mahaatmanaH = raaghavasya = of the high souled Rama; bhraatruuNaam = (of) his brothers; tava = of yourself; raajakulasyacha = of your royal family; aayattam = is dependent; mayi = on me.
"O Hanuma the long-armed! The survival of the high souled Rama, his brothers, of yourself and of your royal family (of Sugreeva) is dependent on me."
tau niraashau mat arthe tu shoka samtaapa karshitau |
saha sarva R^ikSha haribhiH tyakShyataH praaNa samgraham || 5-37-59
59. tau = those two men Rama and Lakshmana; shokasamtaapa karshitau = who are emaciated by grief and anguish; sarvarkSaharibhiH saha = with all bears and monkeys; niraashau = bereft of hope; tyakSyataH = will abandon; praaNasamgraham = their protection of life.
"Those two men Rama and Lakshmana who are emaciated by grief and anguish along with all bears and monkeys, losing their hope, will abandon their lives."
bhartuH bhaktim puraH kR^itya raamaat anyasya vaanara |
na aham spraShTum padaa gaatram icchheyam vaanara uttama || 5-37-60
60. vaanara = O Hanuma; vaanarapuNgava = thes best of monkeys; puraskR^itya = Honouring; bhaktim = the devotion; bhartuH = to my husband; na spR^ishaami = I can not touch; shariiramtu = the body; anyasya pumsaH = of any other man; raamaat = than Rama.
"O Hanuma, the best of monkeys! Honouring the devotion to my husband, I cannot touch the body of any man other that of Rama."
yat aham gaatra sa.nsparsham raavaNasya gataa balaat |
aniishaa kim kariShyaami vinaathaa vivashaa satii || 5-37-61
61. aham gataayat = that I got; balaat = by force; samsparsham = the touch; raavaNasya gaatra = of Ravana's body; kim kariSyaami = what can I do; aniishaa = being helpless; vivashaa satii = having lost control of myself; vinaathaa = and without a protector?
"That I got, by force, the touch of Ravana's body, was because being helpless, having lost control of myself and without a protector, I could not do anything."
yadi raamo dashagriivam iha hatvaa saraakShasam |
maam ito gR^ihya gacchheta tat tasya sadR^isham bhavet || 5-37-62
62. raamaH yadi = If Rama; hattvaa = by killing; dashagriivam = Ravana; iha = here; sabaandhavam = along with his relatives; gachheta = and goes taking; maam = me; itaH = from here; tat = that; bhavet = will become; sadR^isham = proper; tasya = for him.
"If Rama kills Ravana here along with his relatives and departs taking me from here, it would be proper for him"
shrutaa hi dR^iShTaaH ca mayaa paraakramaa |
mahaatmanaH tasya raNa avamardinaH |
na deva gandharva bhujamga raakShasaa |
bhavanti raameNa samaa hi samyuge || 5-37-63
63. shrutaaH = It was heard; dR^iSTaashcha = and seen; mayaa = by me; paraakramaaH (about) the strength tasya = mahaatmanaH = of the high souled Rama; raNaavamardinaH = destroying enemies in battle; deva gandharva bhujaNga raakSasaaH = the celestials; divine musicians; serpent-gods; and demons; nahi samaaH = are not equal; raameNa = to Rama; samguge = in combat.
"I have not only heard but seen myself about the strength of the high souled Rama destroying enemies in battle. Neither the celestials nor the divine musicians nor the serpent-gods nor the demons are equal to Rama in combat."
samiikShya tam samyati citra kaarmukam |
mahaabalam vaasava tulya vikramam |
salakShmaNam ko viShaheta raaghavam |
huta ashanam diiptam iva anila iiritam || 5-37-64
64. kaH = who; viSaheta = can with stand; samiikSya = seeing; samiti = in battle; tam raaghavam = that Rama; diiptam = dazzling; anileritam = fanned by wind; hutaashanamiva = like a fire; anileritam = fanned by wind; chitra kaarmukam = wielding a conspicuous bow; samyati = endowed with; mahaabalam = great strength; vaasava tulyavikram = having prowess; equal to that of Indra the Lord of celestials; salakSmanam- together with Lakshmana.
"Who can withstand seeing in battle that mighty Rama, dazzling like fire fanned by wind, wielding his conspicuous bow and having prowess equal to that of Indra the Lord of celestials, together with Lakshmana?"
salakShmaNam raaghavam aaji mardanam |
dishaa gajam mattam iva vyavasthitam |
saheta ko vaanara mukhya samyuge |
yuga anta suurya pratimam shara arciSham || 5-37-65
65. vaanara mukhya = O the best of monkeys!; kaH = who; samyuge = in battle; saheta = can endure; raaghavam = Rama; yugaanta snurya pratimam = resembling the sun during the noon-time; salakSmaNam = together with Lakshmana; aajimardanam = the destroyer in battle; vyavasthitam = stationed; dishaagajamiva = like a mythical elephant (which stand in the four quarters of the sky and protect the earth); mattam = in rut; sharaarchiSam = with arrows resembling the rays of the sun.
"O the best of monkeys! In battle, who can endure Rama resembling the sun at noon-time, with his arrows resembling its rays, the destroyer in battle, stationed like a mythical elephant in rut, along with Lakshmana?
sa me hari shreShTha salakShmaNam patim |
sayuuthapam kShipram iha upapaadaya |
ciraaya raamam prati shoka karshitaam |
kuruShva maam vaanara mukhya harShitaam || 5-37-66
66. harishreSTha = O the excellent of monkeys!; saH = here; kshipram; = soon; patim = my husband; sa lakSmaNam = along with Lakshma; sayuuthapam = with chiefs of army; vaanaramukhya = O the best of monkeys!; kuruSva = make; maam = me; shokakarshitaam = who is emaciated with grief; raamam prati = about Rama; chiraaya = since a long time; harSitaam = joyful.
"O the excellent of monkeys! You, as such, soon bring my husband here along with Lakshmana, and the chiefs of army. O the best of monkeys! I am emaciated with grief about Rama since long. Make me now joyful."
- - -
ityaarShe shriimadraamaayaNe aadikaavye sundarakaaNDe saptatri.nshaH sargaH
|Top of Page||1||2||3||4|
© November, 2005, K. M. K. Murthy
Read more about:
rama and verse
The Fastest FTPS and FTPS anywhere, Go FTP FREE Program