Stepping down from the tree, Hanuma approached Seetha and asked her to clarify him whether she is the wife of Rama. Seetha then starts to narrate her antecedents and the story of Rama along with circumstances under which she along with Rama and Lakshmana went to Dandaka forest as per the command of King Dasaratha. She also informs Hanuma about her snatching away of Ravana from the forest.
सोऽवतीर्य द्रुमात्तस्माद्विद्रुमप्रतिमाननः |
विनीतवेषः कृपणः प्रणिपत्योपसृत्य च || ५-३३-१
ताम् अब्रवीन् महातेजा हनूमान् मारुत आत्मजः |
शिरसि अञ्जलिम् आधाय सीताम् मधुरया गिरा || ५-३३-२
1; 2. saH hanumaan = that Hanuma; vidruma prati maana naH = with coral-coloured countenance; mahaa tejaa = very bright; maarutaatmajaH = and the so of wind-god; viniita veSaH = with a humble look; kR^ipaNaH = and feeble; upasR^itya = approached; taam siitaam = that Seetha; praNipatya = offered his salutation; aadhaaya = by keeping; aN^jalim = his joined palms; shirasi = on his head; abraviit = and spoke; (the following); madhurayaa = sweet; giraa = words.
That Hanuma, with coral-coloured face, very bright, the son of wind-god, wearing a humble and feeble look, approached Seetha by stepping down from the tree and offered her his salutation by keeping his joined palms on his head and spoke the following sweet words:
का नु पद्म पलाश अक्षी क्लिष्ट कौशेय वासिनी |
द्रुमस्य शाखाम् आलम्ब्य तिष्ठसि त्वम् अनिन्दिता || ५-३३-३
3. padma palaashakSi = O Lady with your eyes resembling lotus leaves!; kliSTa kaushaya vaasini = wearing worn-out sila cloth; anindita = O the irreproachable one! tiSThasi = you have stood aalambya = taking by the hand; shaakhaam = a branch; drumasya = of the tree; kaanu = who are you?
"O Lady with your eyes resembling lotus leaves, wearing a worn out silken cloth! O, the irreproachable one! You have stood, holding by the hand a branch of the tree who are you?"
किम् अर्थम् तव नेत्राभ्याम् वारि स्रवति शोकजम् |
पुण्डरीक पलाशाभ्याम् विप्रकीर्णम् इव उदकम् || ५-३३-४
4. vaari shokajam = tears of sorrow; sravati = are gushing down; tava = from you; netraabhyaam = eyes; udakam = as water; viprakirNam = scattered down; puNDariika palaashaabhyaam = from two lotus petals; kimartham = why?
"Tears of sorrow are gushing down from your eyes, as water is scattered down from two lotus-petals. Why?"
सुराणाम् असुराणाम् च नाग गन्धर्व रक्षसाम् |
यक्षाणाम् किम्नराणाम् च का त्वम् भवसि शोभने || ५-३३-५
5. shobhane = O auspicious lady!; kaa = In whom; tvam = are you; bhavasi = born; suraaNaam = whether in celestials; asuraaNaam vaa = or in ogres; naaga gandharvarakSasaam = or in serpent-demons or in celestial musicians or in demons; yakSaaNaam = or in semi-divine being; kimnaraaNaam = or in mythical beings.
"O auspicious lady! In whom are you born-whether in celestials or in ogres or in serpent-demons or in celestial musicians or in demons or in semi-divine beings or in mythical beings?"
का त्वम् भवसि रुद्राणाम् मरुताम् वा वर आनने |
वसूनाम् वा वर आरोहे देवता प्रतिभासि मे || ५-३३-६
6. varaanane = O Lovely faced woman!; kaa = who; bhavasi = are ; tvam- you; rudraaNaam = among eleven Rudras; who; marutaam vaa = or among Maruts the storm-gods; vasuunaam = or among eight Vasus; the beneficient gods?; varaarohe = O handsome lady with fine hips!; me = to me; pratibhaasi = you appear; devataa = as a deity.
"O lovely-faced woman! Who are you among eleven Rudras who bestow strength, or among Maruts the storm-gods or among eight Vasus the beneficent gods? O Handsome lady with fine hips! You appear to me as a deity."
किम् नु चन्द्रमसा हीना पतिता विबुध आलयात् |
रोहिणी ज्योतिषाम् श्रेष्ठा श्रेष्ठा सर्व गुण अन्विता || ५-३३-७
7. rohiNiikimvaa = Are you Rohini; shreSTha sarva guNaanvitaa = endowed with all excellent qualities; patitaa = fallen; vibudhaalayaat = from heaven; hiinaa = left behind; chandramasaa = by moon; shreSThaa = excellent; jyotiSaam = among stars.
"Are you Rohini, endowed with all the best qualities, fallen from heaven, left behind by moon and excellent among stars."
कोपात् वा यदि वा मोहात् भर्तारम् असित ईक्षणा || ५-३३-८
वसिष्ठम् कोपयित्वा त्वम् न असि कल्याणि अरुन्धती |
8. asitekSaNe = O dark eyed lady!; tvam naasi = are you not; kalyaaNii = the auspicious; arundhati = Arundhati; kopayitvaa = who irritated; vasiSTham = the sage Vasishta; bhartaaram = her husband; kopaadvaa yadivaa = either by anger.
"O dark-eyed lady! Are you not the auspicious Arundhati, who irritated her husband, Vasishta the sage either by anger or by error?"
को नु पुत्रः पिता भ्रात भर्ता वा ते सुमध्यमे || ५-३३-९
अस्माल् लोकात् अमुम् लोकम् गतम् त्वम् अनुशोचसि |
9. sumadhyame = O the slender waisted lady!; tvam = you; anushochasi = seem to be lamenting; gatam = (about someone) who has gone; asmaat = from thus; lokaat = world; amum lokam = to the other world; te = your; putraH son; pitaa = father; bhraataa = brother; bhartaa vaa = or your husband?
"O the slender waisted lady! You seem to be lamenting over someone who died is he your son, or father or brother or husband."
रोदनादतिनिःश्वासाद्भूमिसंस्पर्शनादपि || ५-३३-१०
न त्वाम् देवीमहम् मन्ये राज्ञः संज्ञावधारणात् |
10. rodanaat = for you lamenting; atiniH shvaasaat = for you long sighs; bhuumi sam sparshanaadapi = also for your touching of the earth; samjJNaavadharaNaat = for holding the signs; raajJNaH = of a king; aham = I; na manye = do not think; tvaam = you; deviim = as a divine woman.
"You are lamenting. You are sighing a lot. You are touching the earth. You have royal insignia in you. According to these things, I do not consider you as a divine woman."
व्यञ्जनानि हि ते यानि लक्षणानि च लक्षये || ५-३३-११
महिषी भूमि पालस्य राज कन्या असि मे मता |
11. yaani = which; vyaN^janaani = marks on your person; te lakSaNaamcha = and your form; lakSaye = I see; (according to that); me = to me; mataa = (your are) believed to be; mahiSii = a queen; bhuumipaalasya = of an emperor; raaja kanyaacha = and a king's daughter.
"Based on the marks on your person and your bodily characteristics, I believe you to be a queen of an emperor and the daughter of a king."
रावणेन जन स्थानात् बलात् अपहृता यदि || ५-३३-१२
सीता त्वम् असि भद्रम् ते तन् मम आचक्ष्व पृच्छतः |
12. asi yadi tvam = If you; siitaa = are Seetha; apahR^itaa = stolen; balaat = by force; raavaNena = by Ravana; janasthaanaat = from Janasthana; aachakSya = tell; tat = it; mama = to me; pR^ichchhataH = who is asking; bhadram te = if you please."
"If you are Seetha stolen per force by Ravana from Janasthana, tell it to me who is asking if you please!"
यथा हि तव वैदैन्यम् रूपम् चाप्यतिमानुषम् || ५-३३-१३
तपसा चान्वितो वेषस्त्वं राममहिषी ध्रुवम् |
13. yathaa = according to; tava = your; dainyam = miserable state; ruupam cha = the (beautiful) figure; atimaanuSam = which is super-human; veSaH = your costume; anvitaH = endowed with; tapasaa = austerity; dhruvam = surely; tvam = you are; raama mahiSii = Rama's wife."
"According to your miserable state, the super-human beautiful figure and your costume endowed with austerity, surely you are Rama's wife."
सा तस्य वचनम् श्रुत्वा राम कीर्तन हर्षिता || ५-३३-१४
उवाच वाक्यम् वैदेही हनूमन्तम् द्रुम आश्रितम् |
14. shrutvaa = hearing; tasya = his; vachanam = words; saa vaidehii = that Seetha; raama kiirthana harSitaa = was delighted of Rama's mention; uvaacha = and spoke; vaakyam = (the following) words; hanumantam = to Hanuma; drumaashritam = who was dwelling on a tree.
Hearing his words, Seetha was delighted of Rama's mention and spoke the following words to Hanuma, who was dwelling on a tree.
पृथिव्यां राजसिंहानां मुख्यस्य विदितात्मनः || ५-३३-१५
स्नुषा दशरथस्याहम् शत्रुसैन्यप्रतापिनः |
15. aham = I; snuSaa = am the daughter-in-law; dasharathasya = of Dasaratha; mukhyasya = the eminent; raaja simhaanaam = among the excellent kings; pR^ithi vyaam = on earth; viditaatmanaH = who understands the nature of the spirit; shatrusainya prataapinaH = and who torments the army of the adversary.
"I am the daughter-in-law of Dasaratha, eminent among the excellent kings on earth, who understands the nature of the spirit and who torments the army of the adversary."
दुहिता जनकस्य अहम् वैदेहस्य महात्मनः || ५-३३-१६
सीता च नाम नाम्ना अहम् भार्या रामस्य धीमतः |
16. aham = I; duhitaa = am the daughter; janakasya = of Janaka; vaidehasya = the king of Videha kingdom; mahaatmanaH = having a noble nature; Seetha; naamnaa = by name; bhaaryaa = and wife; raamasya = of Rama; dhiimataH = the wise man.
"I am the daughter of the noble-natured Janaka, the king of Videha kingdom. I am know.
समा द्वादश तत्र अहम् राघवस्य निवेशने || ५-३३-१७
भुन्जाना मानुषान् भोगान् सर्व काम समृद्धिनी |
17. aham = I; (stayed); tatra = there; raaghavasya = in Rama's; niveshane = house; dvaadasha = for twelve; samaaH = years; bhuJNaanaa = enjoying; bhogaan = the worldly pleasures; maanuSaan = belonging to mankind; sarvakaama samR^iddhinii = and fulfilling all the desires.
"I stayed in Rama's house there for twelve years, enjoying the worldly pleasures belonging to human kind and fulfilling all my desires."
ततः त्रयोदशे वर्षे राज्येन इक्ष्वाकु नन्दनम् || ५-३३-१८
अभिषेचयितुम् राजा स उपाध्यायः प्रचक्रमे |
18. tataH = thereafter; trayodashe varSe = in the thirteenth year; raajaa = the king Dasaratha; sopaadhyaayaH = along with his preceptors; prachakrame = started; abhiSechayitum = to; anointment; raajyena = of; the kingdom; ikSvaakunandanam = to Rama; a celebrity of Ikshvaku dynasty.
"Thereafter, in the thirteenth year, King Dasaratha along with his preceptors started to perform anointment of the kingdom to Rama, a celebrity of Ikshvaku dynasty."
तस्मिन् सम्भ्रियमाणे तु राघवस्य अभिषेचने || ५-३३-१९
कैकेयी नाम भर्तारम् देवी वचनम् अब्रवीत् |
19. tasmin = (While) that; abhiSechane = anointment; raaghavasya = of Rama; sambhriyamaaNe = was being arranged; devii = a queen; kaikeyii naama = called Kaikeyi; abraviit = spoke; vachanam = the (following) words; bhartaaram = to Dasaratha; her husband.
"While that anointment of Rama was being arranged, a queen called Kaikeyi spoke the following words to Dasaratha, her husband.
न पिबेयम् न खादेयम् प्रत्यहम् मम भोजनम् || ५-३३-२०
एष मे जीवितस्य अन्तो रामो यदि अभिषिच्यते |
20. raamaH yadi abhiSichyate = If Rama gets anointed; na pibeyam = I shall not drink water; na khaadeyam = I shall not eat; mama = my; bhojanam = food; pratyaham = daily; eSaH = this is; antaH = the end; me = to my; jiivitasya = life.
"If Rama gets anointed for the kingdom, from now onwards, I shall neither drink water nor take my food daily. This is the end to my life."
यत् तत् उक्तम् त्वया वाक्यम् प्रीत्या नृपति सत्तम || ५-३३-२१
तच् चेन् न वितथम् कार्यम् वनम् गच्छतु राघवः |
21. nR^ipatisattama = O the excellent king!; yat = which; tat vaakyam = that word; uktam = was uttered; tvayaa = by you; priityaa = with affection; tat yadi = and if that; na kaaryam = for waste; raaghavaH = (let) Rama; gachchatu = go; vanam = to the forest.
"O the excellent king! If that word of pledge was uttered affectionately by you and if it is not going to be a waste, let Rama go to the forest."
स राजा सत्य वाग् देव्या वर दानम् अनुस्मरन् || ५-३३-२२
मुमोह वचनम् श्रुत्वा कैकेय्याः क्रूरम् अप्रियम् |
22. shrutvaa = hearing; kruuram = the cruel; apriyam = and the disagreeable; vachanam = words; kaikeyyaaH = of Kaikeyi; anusmaram = and recollecting; varadaanam = the boon given; devyaaH = to the queen; saH raajaa = that king; satyaraak = who was true to his word; mumoha = became unconscious.
"Hearing the cruel and the disagreeable words of Kaikeyi and recollecting the boon given to the queen, King Dasaratha who was true to his word, fell unconscious.
ततः तु स्थविरो राजा सत्य धर्मे व्यवस्थितः || ५-३३-२३
ज्येष्ठम् यशस्विनम् पुत्रम् रुदन् राज्यम् अयाचत |
23. tataH = then; sthaviraH = the aged; raajaa = king; vyavasthitaH = who was firmly established; satye = in truth; dharme = and righteousness; rudan = while weeping; ayaachat = asked for ; raajyam = the kingdom; yashasvinam = from his illustrious; jyeSTham = eldest; putram = son.
"Then, the aged king, who was firmly established in truth and righteousness, regretfully asked his illustrious eldest son to give back the kingdom, which he bestowed him earlier."
स पितुः वचनम् श्रीमान् अभिषेकात् परम् प्रियम् || ५-३३-२४
मनसा पूर्वम् आसाद्य वाचा प्रतिगृहीतवान् |
24. shriimaan = the glorious; saH = that Rama; puurvam = first; aasaadya = admitted; pituH = his father's; vachanam = words; manasaa = in mind; param priyam = more dearer; abhiSekaat = than his anointment to the kingdom; pratigR^ihiitavaan = and accepted (them); vaachaa = with his word.
"That glorious Rama first admitted his father's words in mind, considering them more dearer than his anointment to the kingdom and accepted them with his word."
दद्यान् न प्रतिगृह्णीयान् न ब्रूयत् किंचित् अप्रियम् || ५-३३-२५
अपि जीवित हेतोः हि रामः सत्य पराक्रमः |
25. raamaH = Rama; satya paraakramaH = the truly courageous man; dadyaat = (always) gives (to others) na pratigR^ihNiiyaat = and does not take (from others); na bruuyaat = (He) does not speak; kimchit = even a little; apriyam = of disagreeable word; api jiivita hetorvaa = even for the cause of his life.
"The truly courageous Rama always gives anything to others and does not take anything from others. He does not speak just a little of a disagreeable word even for the cause of his life."
स विहाय उत्तरीयाणि महाअर्हाणि महायशाः || ५-३३-२६
विसृज्य मनसा राज्यम् जनन्यै माम् समादिशत् |
26. vihaaya = leaving behind; mahaarhaaNi = greatly valuable; uttariiyaaNi = outer garments; (and wearing garments made of bark); saH = that Rama; mahaayashaaH = the highly illustrious one; visR^ijya = gave up; raajyam = his kingdom; manasaa = intentionally; samaadishat = (and) assigned; maam = me; jananyai = to his mother.
"Leaving behind his greatly valuable outer garments and wearing garments made of bark, that highly illustrious Rama gave up his kingdom willingly and assigned me to his mother."
सा अहम् तस्य अग्रतः तूर्णम् प्रस्थिता वन चारिणी || ५-३३-२७
न हि मे तेन हीनाया वासः स्वर्गे अपि रोचते |
27. hiinaayaaH = bereft; tena = of him; vaasaH = dwelling; svarge.api = even in heaven; na rochate hi = does not indeed give pleasure; saa aham = I; as such; vana chaariNii = (decided) to proceed to the forest; tuurNam = and soon; prasthitaa = was ready to start; agrataH = (even) ahead; tasya = of that Rama.
"To me bereft of him, residing even in heaven does not indeed give pleasure. I, as such, decided to proceed to the forest and soon was ready to start even ahead of Rama."
प्राग् एव तु महाभागः सौमित्रिः मित्र नन्दनः || ५-३३-२८
पूर्वजस्य अनुयात्रा अर्थे द्रुम चीरैः अलम्कृतः |
28. saumitriH = Lakshmana; mahaabhaagaH = the illustrious man; mitra nandanaH = the rejoice of his friends; anuyaatraarthe = for the purpose of following; puurvajasya = of his elder brother; alamkR^itaH = adorned; praageva = even before (me).
"Adorned with clothes of bark, the illustrious Lakshmana, the rejoice of his friends, got ready to follow his elder brother even before (me)."
ते वयम् भर्तुः आदेशम् बहु मान्य दृढ व्रताः || ५-३३-२९
प्रविष्टाः स्म पुरात् दृष्टम् वनम् गम्भीर दर्शनम् |
29. bahumaanya = obeying respectfully; aadesham = the command; bhartuH = of Lord Dasaratha; vayam = we; te = as such; dR^iDhavrataaH = firm in our resolution; praviSTaaH = smaH = entered; vanam = the forest; adR^iSTam = not seen; puraa = before; gambhiira darshanam = with its deep and profound appearance.
"Obeying respectfully the command of Lord Dasaratha, we as such with a firm resolution, entered the forest, which we have never seen before and which was deep and profound in appearance."
वसतो दण्डक अरण्ये तस्य अहम् अमित ओजसः || ५-३३-३०
रक्षसा अपहृता भार्या रावणेन दुरात्मना |
30. aham = I; bhaaryaa = the wife; tasya = of Rama; amitaujasaH = of great vigour; vasataH = dwelling; daN^DakaaraNya = in the forest of Dandaka; apahR^itaa = was taken away; raavaNena = by Ravana; rakSasaa duraatmanaa = the evil-minded demon.
While Rama of great vigour was dwelling in the forest of Dandaka, the evil-minded demon, Ravana took me, Rama's wife, away."
द्वौ मासौ तेन मे कालो जीवित अनुग्रहः कृतः || ५-३३-३१
ऊर्ध्वम् द्वाभ्याम् तु मासाभ्याम् ततः त्यक्ष्यामि जीवितम् |
31. me = to me; dvau = two; maasau = months; jiivitaanugrahaH = of favour of survived; kR^itaH = have been given; tena = by him; tataH = for that reason; uurdhvam = after; dvaabhyaam = two; maasaabhyaam = months; tyakSyaami = I shall give up; jiivitam = my life.
"A period of two months of survival-benefit has been given to me by him. For that reason, after the said two months, I shall give up my life."
- - -
इत्यार्षे श्रीमद्रामायणे आदिकाव्ये सुन्दरकाण्डे त्रयस्त्रिंशः सर्गः
|Top of Page||1||2||3||4|
© December, 2005, K. M. K. Murthy