In this chapter an ogress named Trijata describes her dream. She dreams of Sri Rama triumphs and the ogre Ravana is conquered.
इत्युक्ताह् सीतया घोरं राक्षस्यः क्रोधमूर्छिताः |
काश्चिज्जग्मुस्तदाख्यातुं रावणस्य दुरात्मनः || ५-२७-१
1. iti = thus; uktaaH = spoken to; siitayaa = by Seetha; raakshasyaH = ogresses; krodha muurchhitaaH = swooned with anger; ghoram = terribly; kaashchit = some; jagmuH = went; aakhyaatum = to tell; tat = that; raavaNasya = to Ravana; duraatmanaH = the evil minded one.
Thus spoken to by Seetha, ogresses swooned with anger terribly. Some went to tell that to Ravana the evil minded one.
ततः सीतामुपागम्य राक्षस्यो घोरदर्शनाः |
पुनः पुरुषमेकार्थमनर्थार्थमथाब्रुवन् || ५-२७-२
2. tataH = thereafter; raaksasyaH = ogresses; ghora darshanaaH = with a terrible appearance; upaagamya = neared; siitaam = Seetha; atha = then; punaH = again; abruvan = spoke; anarthaartham = (words of) evil purpose; ekkartham = with a single meaning; parushham = (which were) harsh.
Therafter ogresses with a terrible appearance neared Seetha and ten agin spoke words of evil purpose, with a single meaning and which were harsh.
अद्येदानीं तवानार्ये सीते पापविनिश्चये |
राक्षस्यो भक्षयिष्यन्ति मांसमेतद्यथासुखम् || ५-२७-३
3. anaarye = O ignoble one!; paapavinishchaye = O one with sinful resolve!; siite = O Seetha; adya = today; idaaniim = at this moment; raakshasyaH = ogresses; bhakshayishhyanti = will eat; etat = this; tava = your; maaMsam = flesh; yathhasukham = according to comfort.
"O ignoble one! O one with a sinful resolve! O Seetha! Today at this moment ogreeses will eat this your flesh according to comfort."
सीतां ताभिरनार्याभिर्दृष्ट्वा संतर्जितां तदा |
राक्षसी त्रिजटा वृद्धा शयाना वाक्यमब्रवीत् || ५-२७-४
4. tadaa = then; dR^iSTvaa = seeing; siitaam = Seetha; saMtarjitaam = frightened; taabhiH anaaryaabhiH = by those evil ones; raakshasii = an ogress; trijaTaa = (named) Trijata; shayanaa = sleeping (till then); abraviit = spoke; vaakyam = (these) words.
Then, seeing Seetha frightened by those evil ones, an ogress named Trijata, sleeping till then, spoke these words.
आत्मानं खादतानार्या न सीतां भक्षयिष्यथ |
जनकस्य सुतामिष्टां सुन्नषां दशरथस्य च || ५-२७-५
5. anaaryaaH = O evil ones! khaadata = eat; aatmaanam = your selves; na bhakshayishhyatha = you will not eat; siitaam = Seetha; ishhTaam sutaam = dear daughter; janakasya = of king Janaka; snushhaam cha = and daughter-in-law; dasarathasya = of king Dasaratha.
"O evil ones! Eat your selves. You will not eat Seetha who is the dear daughter of king Janaka and daughter-in-law of king Dasaratha."
स्वप्नो ह्यद्य मया दृष्टो दारुनो रोमहर्षणः |
राक्षसानामभावाय भर्तुरस्या भवाय च || ५-२७-६
6. adya = now; svapnaH = a dream; daaruNaH = (which is) terrible; romaharshhaNaH = causing the hairs to stand erect; abhaavaaya = for the destruction; raakshasaanaam = of ogres; bhavaaya = for the welfare; asyaaH bhartuH = of Her husband; dR^iShTaH = has been seen; mayaa = by me.
"Now a dream which is terrible, causing the hairs to stand erect for the destruction of ogres and for the welfare of Her husband, has been seen by me."
एवमुक्टास्त्रिजटया राक्षस्यः क्रोधमूर्छिताः |
सर्वा एवाब्रुवन्भीतास्त्रिजटां तामिदं वचः || ५-२७-७
7. evam = thus; uktaaH = spoken to; trijaTayaa = by Trijata; sarvaaH eva = all; raakshasayaH = ogresses; bhiitaaH = were frightened; abruvan = (and) spoke; taam trijaTaam = to that Trijata; idam = this; vachaH = sentence.
Thus spoken to by Trijata all ogresses were frightened and spoke to that Trijata these words.
कथयस्व त्वया दृष्टः स्वप्नोऽयं कीदृशो निशि |
तासां श्रुत्वा तु वचनं राक्षसीनां मुखाच्य्चुतम् || ५-२७-८
उवाच वचनं काले त्रिजटा स्वप्नसंश्रितम् |
8. kiidR^ishii = of what kind; ayam svapnaH = (is) this dream; dR^ishhTaH = seen; tvayaa = by you; kathayasva = tell (us); shrutvaa = listening; vachanam = (to the) utterance; chyutam = (that) came forth; mukhaat = from the mouths; taasaam raakshasiinaam = of those ogresses; trijaTaa = Trijata; uvaacha = spoke; kaale = at that time; vachanam = (this) word; svapna saMshritam = relating to the dream.
"Of what kind is this dream seen by you. Tell us". Listening to this utterance that came forth from the mouths of those ogresses, Trijata spoke at that time this word relating to the dream.
गजदन्तमयीं दिव्यां शिबिकामन्तरिक्षगाम् || ५-२७-९
युक्तां हंससह्रेण स्वयमास्थाय राघवः |
शुक्लमाल्याम्बरधरो लक्ष्मणेन सहागतः || ५-२७-१०
9;10.raaghavaH = Rama; shuklamaalyaambara dharaH = wearing white garlands and clothes; antarikshagaam = passing through the sky; svayam aasthaaya = Himself ascending; shibikaam = a palanquin; gajadantamayiim = made of ivory; yuktaam = tied; haMsa sahasreNa = with a thousand swans; aagataH = arrived; lakshmaNena saha = along with Lakshmana.
"Rama wearing white garlands and clothes passing through the sky, Himself ascending a palanquin made of ivory tied with a thousand swans, arrived along with Lakshmana."
स्वप्ने चाद्य मया दृष्टा सीता शुक्लाम्बरावृता |
सागरेण परिक्षिप्तं स्वेतं पर्वतमास्थिता || ५-२७-११
11. adya = now; dR^ishhTaa = (it has been) seen; mayaa = by me; svapne = in the dream (that); siitaa cha = Seetha also; shuklaambaraavR^itaa = wearing white clothes; aasthitaa = was sitting; shvetam parvatam = on a white mountain; parikShiptam = surrounded; saagareNa = by the ocean.
"Now it has been seen by me in the dream that Seetha also wearing white clothes was sitting on a white mountain surrounded by the ocean."
रामेण संगता सीता भास्करेण प्रभा यथा |
राघवश्च मया दृष्टश्च तुर्दंष्ट्रं महागजम् || ५-२७-१२
12. siitaa = Seetha; saMgataa = came together; raameNa = with Rama; prabhaa yathaa = like the light; bhaaskareNa = with the Sun; raamashcha = Rama also; mayaa dR^ishhTaH = was seen by me; aaruuDhaH = (to be) mounted; mahaagajam = on a great elephant; chaturdraShTram = with four tusks; shailasaMkaasham = equalling a mountain; chachaara = (and) wandered; saha lakshmanaH = together with Lakshmana.
"Seetha came together with Rama like the light with the Sun. Rama also was seen by me to be mounted on a great elephant with four tusks and equalling a mountain and Rama wandered together with Lakshmana."
ततस्तौ नरशार्दूलौ दीप्यमानौ स्वतेजसा || ५-२७-१३
शुक्लमाल्याम्बरधरौ जानकीं पर्युपस्थितौ |
13. tataH = thereafter; diipyamaanau = shining; svatejasaa = with their own radiance; shuklamaalyaambara dharau = wearing white garlands and clothes; tau = those two; narashaarduulau = best among men (Rama and Lakshmana); paryupasthitau = neared; jaanakiim = Seetha.
"Thereafter shining with their own radiance, wearing white garlands and clothes, those two best among men Rama and Laksmana neared Seetha."
ततस्तस्य नगस्याग्रे ह्याकाशस्थस्य दन्तिनः || ५-२७-१४
भर्त्रा परिगृहीतस्य जानकी स्कन्धमाश्रिता |
14. tataH = Thereafter; jaanakii = Seetha; aashritaa = rested on; skandham = the upper part of back; dantinaH = of elephant; aakaashasthasya = in the sky; parigR^ihiitasya = taken; bhartraa = by Her husband Rama; agre = to the front; tasya nagasya = of that mountain;
"Thereafter Seetha rested on the upper part of back of elephant in the sky; taken by Her husband Rama to the front of that mountain."
भर्तुरङ्कात्समुत्पत्य ततः कमललोचना || ५-२७-१५
चन्द्रसूर्यौ मया दृष्टा पाणिना परिमार्जती |
15. tataH = thereafter; mayaa dR^ishhTaa = it has been seen by me (that); kamalalochanaa = Seetha with eyes like lotuses; samutpatya = has risen up; a~Nkaat = from the lap; bahrtuH = of Her husband; parimaarjatii = gently touched; chandra suuryau = the Moon and the Sun; paaNinaa = with Her hand.
"Thereafter it has been seen by me that Seetha with eyes like lotuses has risen up from the lap of Her husband and gently touched the Moon and the Sun with Her hand."
ततस्ताभ्यां कुमाराभ्यामास्थितः स गजोत्तमः || ५-२७-१६
सीतया च विशालाक्ष्या लङ्काया उपरिस्थितः
16. tataH = thereafter; saH gajottamaH = that best elephant; aasthitaH = ascended; taabhyaam kumaaraabhyaam = by those princes; siitayaa cha = and by Seetha; vishaalakshyaa = with wide eyes; stitaH = stood; upari = on the top; la~NkayaaH = of Lanka.
"Thereafter that best elephant ascended by those princes Rama and Lakshmana and by Seetha with wide eyes stood on the top of Lanka."
पाण्डुरर्षभयुक्तेन रथेनाष्टयुजा स्वयम् || ५-२७-१७
इहोपयातः काकुथ्सः सीतया सह भार्य या |
17. kaakutthsaH = Rama; bhaaryayaa siitayaa saha = together with wife Seetha; svayam = Himself; iha upayaataH = came here; rathena = in a chariot; paaNDurarShabhaH yuktena aShTa yujaa = tied with eight white bulls;
"Rama together with wife Seetha, Himself came here in a chariot tied with eight white bulls."
लक्ष्मणेन सह भ्रात्रा सीतया सह वीर्यवान् || ५-२७-१८
आरुह्य पुष्पकं दिव्यं विमानं सूर्यसन्निभम् |
उत्तरां दिशमालोक्य जगाम पुरुष्त्तमः || ५-२७-१९
18;19. viiryavaan = The valorous; puruShottamaH = best among men Rama; saha = together; bhraatraa lakshmaNena saha = with brother Lakshmana; siitayaa = (and) with Seetha; aaruhya = ascended; divyam = wonderful; puShpakam vimaanam = Pushpaka aeroplane; suurya sannibham = equalling the Sun; jagaama = went; aalokya = beholding; uttaraam disham = northern direction.
"The valorous best among men Rama together with brother Lakshmana and with Seetha ascended wonderful Pushpaka aeroplane equalling the Sun, went in the northern direction."
एवं स्वप्ने मया दृष्टो रामो विष्णुपराक्रमः |
लक्ष्मणेन सह भ्रात्रा सीतया सह राघवः || ५-२७-२०
20. raamaH = Rama; viShNuparaakramaH = with strength equalling that of Lord Vishnu; raaghavaH = born in Raghu's dynasty; saha = together; bhraatraa lakshmaNena = with brother Lakshmana; siitayaa = (and) with Seetha; dR^iShTaH = has been seen; mayaa = by me; evam = thus; svapne = in the dream.
"Rama with strength equalling that of Lord Vishnu, born in Raghu's dynasty together with brother Lakshmana and with Seetha has been seen by me thus in the dream."
न हि रामो महातेजाः शोक्यो जेतुं सुरासुरैः |
राक्षसैर्वापि चान्यैर्वा स्वर्गः पापजनैरिव || ५-२७-२१
21. raamaH = Rama; mahaatejaaH = with great glory; na shakyaH = is not possible; jetum = to be defeated; suraiH = by Suras; raakshasairvaapi = or by ogres; anvairvaa = or by others; svargaH iva = like heaven; paapajanaiH = by sinners.
"Rama with great glory is not possible to be defeated by Suras or by ogres or by others like heaven not being conquerable by sinners."
रावणश्च मया दृष्टः क्षितौ तैलसमुक्षितः |
रक्तवासाह् पिबन् मत्तः करवीरकृतस्रजः|| ५-२७-२२
22. raavanashcha = Ravana also; dR^iShTaH = was seen; mayaa = by me; kshitau = on earth; tailasamukshitaH = sprinkled with oil; rakshavaasaaH = with red clothes; karaviira kR^ita srajaH = with garlands tied with Oleander flowers; piban = drinking oil; mattaH = intoxicated;
"Ravana also was seen by me on earth sprinkled with oil, with red clothes, with garlands tied with Oleander flowers, drinking oil and intoxicated."
विमानात्पुष्पकादद्य रावणः पतितो भुवि |
कृष्यमाणः स्त्रिया दृष्टो मुण्डः कृष्णाम्बरः पुनः || ५-२७-२३
23. adya = now; raavaNa = Ravana; patitaH = fallen down; bhuvi = (on to) earth; puShpakaat vimaanaat = from Pushpaka aeroplane; muNDaH = having the head shaved; kR^iShNaambaraH = wearing black clothes; punaH = again; dR^iShTaH = was seen; kR^iShyamaaNaH = (to be) pulled; striyaa = by a woman.
"Now Ravana fallen down on to earth from Pushpaka aeroplane having the head shaved, wearing black clothes again was seen to be pulled by a woman."
रथेन खरयुक्तेन रक्तमाल्यानुलेपनः |
पिबंस्तैलं हसन्नृतन् भ्रान्तचित्ताकुलेन्द्रियः || ५-२७-२४
24. rakta maalyaanulepanaH = Wearing red garlands and unguents; piban = drinking; tailam = oil; hasan = laughing; nR^ityan = dancing; bhraanta chitta = with a confused mind; akulendriyaH = with agitated senses; rathena = (Ravana went) by a chariot; kharayuktena = tied by donkeys;
"Wearing red garlands and unguents, drinking oil, laughing, dancing, with a confused mind, with agitated senses, Ravana went by a chariot tied by donkeys."
गर्दभेन ययौ शीग्रं दक्षिणां दिशमास्थितः |
पुनरेव मया दृष्टो रावणो राक्षसेश्वरः || ५-२७-२५
पतितोऽवाक्छिरा भूमौ गर्दभाद्भयमोहितः |
25. aasthitaH = undertaking; dakshinaam disham = southern direction; yayau = (Ravana) went; shiighram = quickly; gardhabena = by a donkey; punareva = again; ma dR^iShTaH = it was seen by me; raakshasesvaraH = (that) the king of ogres; raavaNaH = Ravana; bhaya mohitaH = stupefied with fear; patitaH = fell down; gardhabaat = from the donkey; avaakchiraaH = with head down.
"Undertaking southern direction, Ravana went quickly by a donkey.Again it was seen by me that the king of ogres Ravana stupefied with fear, fell down from the donkey with head down."
सहसोत्थाय संभ्रान्तो भयार्तो मदविह्वलः || ५-२७-२६
उन्मत्त इव दिग्वासा दुर्वाक्यं प्रलपन् बहु |
दुर्गन्धं दुस्सहं घोरं तिमिरं नरकोपमम् || ५-२७-२७
मलपङ्कं प्रविश्याशु मग्नस्तत्र स रावणः |
26; 27. saH raavaNaH = that Ravana; utthaaya = rising up; sahasaa = quickly; saMbhraantaH = together with perplexity; bhayaartaH = distressed with fear; madavihvala = excited by passion; digvaasaa = being naked; unmattaH iva = like a mad man; praplapan = prattling; bahu durvaakyam = many bad words; pravishya = entering; malapapa~Nkam = dirt; durgandham = with a bad smell; dussaham = intolerable; ghoram = horrible; timiram = dark; narakopamam = like hell; ashu = quickly; magnaH = sank; tatra = in that.
"That Ravana rising up quickly, together with perplexity, distressed with fear, excited by passion, being naked, like a mad man, prattling many bad words, entering dirt with a bad smell, which was intolerable, horrible, dark, like the hell and quickly sank in that."
कण्ठे बद्ध्वा दशग्रीवं प्रमदा रक्तवासिनी || ५-२७-२८
काळी कर्दमलिप्ताङ्गी दिशं याम्यां प्रकर्षति |
28. pramadaa = a woman; raktavaasinii = with red clothes; kaLii = who was black; kardamaliptaa~Ngii = with body smeared with dirt; badhvaa = tying; dashagriivam = Ravana; kaNThe = by the throat; prakarShati = was pulling him; yaamyaam disham = in southern direction.
"A woman with red clothes, who was black, with body smeared with dirt, tying Ravana by the throat, was pulling hiim in southern direction."
एवं तत्र मया दृष्टह् कुम्भकर्णो निशाचरः || ५-२७-२९
रावणस्य सुताः सर्वे दृष्टास्तैलसमुक्षिताः |
29. tatra = in that (dream); nishaacharaH = the ogre; kumbhakarNaH = Kumbhakarna; dR^iShTaH = has been seen; evam = thus; mayaa = by me; sarve = all; raavaNasya = Ravana's; sutaaH = sons; dR^iShTaaH = have been seen; tailasamukshitaaH = to be sprinkled with oil.
"In that dream the ogre Kumbhakarna has been seen thus by me. All Ravana's sons have been seen to be sprinkled with oil."
वराहेण दशग्रीवः शिंशुमारेण चेन्द्रजित् || ५-२७-३०
उष्ट्रेण कुम्भकर्णश्च प्रयाता दक्षिणां दिशम् |
30. dashagriivaH = Ravana; varaaheNa = by a pig; indrajit = Indrajit; shiMshumaareNa cha = by a porpoise; kumbhakarNaH = Kumbhakarna; uShtreNa cha = by a camel; prayaataaH = set out; dakshiNaam disham = in southern direction.
"Ravana by a pig, Indrajit by a porpoise, Kumbhakarna by a camel set out in southern direction."
एकस्तत्र मया दृष्टः श्वेतच्छत्रो विभीसणः || ५-२७-३१
शुक्लमाल्याम्बरधरः शुक्लगन्धानुलेपनः |
31. tatra = among those; vibhiiShaNaH = Vibhishana; ekaH = is the only one; dR^iShTaH = (who) has been seen; mayaa = by me; shvetachchhatraH = to be having a white umbrella; shuklamaalyaambaradharaH = wearing white garlands and clothes; shuklagandhaanulepanaH = anointing body with white unguents.
"Among those Vibhishana is the only one who has been seen by me to be having a white umbrella, wearing white garlands and clothes and anointing body with white unguents."
शङ्खदुन्दुभिनिर्घोषैर्नृत्तगीतैरलङ्कृतः || ५-२७-३२
आरुह्य शैलसंकाशं मेघस्तनितनिस्वनम् |
चतुर्धन्तं गजं दिव्यमास्ते तत्र विभीषणः || ५-२७-३३
चतुर्भिः सचिवैः सार्धं वहायसमुपस्थितः |
32;33. vibhiiShaNaH = Vibhishana; tatra aste = is there; alakR^itaH = adorned sha~NkadundubhiniroghoShaiH = with the sound of conch shells and kettledrums; nR^itta giitaiH = with dances and songs; aaruhya = ascended; divyam gajam = a best elephant; shailasaMkaasham = equalling a mountain; meghastanitanisvanam = with the sound of a thundering cloud; chaturdantam = with four tusks; uoasthitaH = (he) approached; vaihaayasam = the sky; chaturbhiH sachivaiH saartham = together with four ministers.
"Vibhishana is there adorned with the sound of conch shells and kettledrums, with dances and songs, ascended a best elephant equalling a mountain with the sound of a thundering cloud, with four tusks. He approached the sky together with four ministers"
समाजश्च मया दृष्टो गीतवादित्रनिःस्वनः || ५-२७-३४
पिबतां रक्तमाल्यानां रक्षसां रक्तवाससाम् |
34. samaajashcha = an assembly also; rakshasaam = of ogres; pibataam = drinking (oil); raktamaalyaanaam = wearing red garlands; raktvaasasaam = with red clothes;giitavaaditraniHsvanaH = with the sound of songs and musical instruments; dR^iShtaH = has been seen; mayaa = by me.
"An assembly also of ogres drinking oil and wearing red garlands, with red clothes, with the sound of songs and musical instruments has been seen by me."
लङ्का चेयं पुरी रम्या सवाजिरथकुञ्जरा || ५-२७-३५
सागरे पतिता दृष्टा भग्नगोपुरतोरणा |
35. iyam = this; ramyaa = beautiful; la~Nkaa purii cha = city of Lanka also; dR^iShTaa = has been seen; savaajirathaku~njaraaH = together with horses and elephants; bhagnagopuratoraNaa = with broken gates and arches; patitaa = fallen down; saagare = in the ocean.
"This beautiful city of Lanka has also been seen together with horses and elephants with broken gates and arches fallen down in the ocean."
लङ्का दृष्टा मया स्वप्ने रावणेनाभिरक्षिता || ५-२७-३६
दग्धा रामस्य दूतेन वानरेण तरस्विना |
36. la~Nkaa = Lanka; abhirakshitaa = protected; raavaNena = by Ravana; dR%iShTaa = has been seen; mayaa = by me; svapne = in the dream; dagdhaa = to be burnt; vaanreNa = by a Vanara; raamsya duutena = (who is) a messenger of Rama; tarasvinaa = (who is) a quick one;
"Lanka protected by Ravana has been seen by me in the dream to be burnt by a quick Vanara who is a messenger of Rama."
सीत्वा तैलं प्रनृत्ताश्च प्रहसन्त्यो महास्वनाः || ५-२७-३७
लङ्कायाण् भस्मरूक्षायां सर्वा राक्षसयोषितः |
37. la~Nkaayaam = in Lanka; bhasmaruukshaayaam = horrible with ash; sarvaaH = all; raakshasa striyaH = ogresses; piitvaa = (were) drinking; tailam = oil; prahasantyaH = laughing heartily; mahaasvanaaH = with a great noise; pranR^ittaaH cha = and also dancing a lot.
"In Lanka horrible with ash, all ogresses were drinking oil, laughing heartily with a great noise and also dancing a lot."
कुम्भकर्णादयश्चेमे सर्वे राक्षसपुङ्गवाः || ५-२७-३८
रक्तं निवसनं गृह्य प्रविष्टा गोमयह्रदे |
38. ime sarve = all these; raakshsapu~NgavaaH = best among ogres; kumbhakarNaadayaH = (such as) Kumbhakarna and others; gR^ihya = taking; raktam = a red; nivasanam = cloth; praviShTaaH = entered; gomayahrade = a hole filled with cow dung.
"All these best among ogres such as Kumbhakarna and others taking a red cloth entered a hole filled with cow dung."
अपगच्छत नश्यध्वं सीतामाप्नोति राघवः || ५-२७-३९
घातयेत्परमामर्षी युष्मान् सार्धं हि राक्षनैः |
39. apagachchha = go away; nashyadhvam = be destroyed; raaghavaH = Rama; aapnoti = will get; siitaam = Seetha; paramaamarShii = with a great anger; yuShmaan ghaatayet = He will get you killed; raakshasaiH saartham = together with (other) ogres.
"Go away! Be destroyed! Rama will get Seetha. With a great anger He will get you killed together with other ogres."
प्रियां बहुमतां भार्यां वनवासमनुव्रताम् || ५-२७-४०
भर्त्सितां तर्जितां वापि नानुमंस्यति राघवः |
40. raaghavaH = Rama; na anumaMsyati = will not approve; bharsitaam = frightening; tarjitaaM vaapi = or threatening; priyaam bhaaryaam = His dear wife; bahumataam = who is highly valued (by Him); anuvrataam = who followed Him; vanavaasam = to live in forest.
"Rama will not approve frightening ot threatening His dear wife who is highly valued by Him, who followed Him to live in the forest."
तदलं क्रूरवाक्यैश्च सान्त्वमेवाभिधीयताम् || ५-२७-४१
अभियाचाम वैदेहीमेतद्धि मम रोचते |
41. tat = for that reason; alam = enough; kruura vaakyaiH = of cruel words; saantvameva = gentle words indeed; abhidiiyataam = be said; abhiyaachaama = (let us) request; vaidehiim = Seetha; etaddhi = this; rochate = is agreeable; me = to me.
"For that reason, enough of cruel words. Gentle words indeed be said. Let us request Seetha. This is agreeable to me."
यस्यामेवंविधः स्वप्नो दुःखितायां प्रदृश्यते || ५-२७-४२
सा दुःखैर्विविधैर्मुक्ता प्रियं प्राप्नोत्यनुत्तमम् |
42. yasyaam = which woman; duHkhitaayaam = while being sorrowful; evaMvidhaH = such type; svapnaH = (of) dream; pradR^ishyate = has been seen;saa = that woman; muktaa = being released; vividhaiH duHkhaiH = from various sorrows; praapnoti = will get; anuttamam = unsurpassed; priyam = pleasure.
"Which woman while being sorrowful, such type of dream has been seen, that woman being released from various sorrows, will get unsurpassed pleasure."
भर्त्सितामपि याचध्वं राक्सस्यः किं विवक्षया || ५-२७-४३
राघवाद्धि भयं घोरं राक्षसानामुपस्थितम् |
43. raakshasyaH = O ogresses! yaachadhvam = entreat (Her); bhartsitaamapi = who has been frightened; kim = what (is the use); vivakshayaa = with desire to speak; raaghavaat = from Rama; ghoram bhayam = a horrible fear; upasthitam = has come; raakshasaanaam = to ogres;
"O ogresses! Entreat Seetha who has been frightened. What is the use with a desire to speak. From Rama a horrible fear has come to ogres."
प्रणिपातप्रसन्ना हि मैथिली जनकात्मजा || ५-२७-४४
अलमेषा परित्रारुं राक्षस्यो महातो भयात् |
अपि चास्या विशालाक्ष्या न किंचिदुपलक्षये || ५-२७-४५
विरूपमपि चाङ्गेषु सुसूक्ष्ममपि लक्षणम् |
44;45. raakshasyaH = O ogresses!; eShaa = this; maithilii = Seetha; janakaatmajaa = daughter of Janka; praNipaata prasannaa = pleased with prostration; alam = is competent; paritraatum = to protect; mahataH = (from) great; bhayaat = danger. apicha = and also; na upalashaye = I do not see; asyaaH = in Her; vishaalaakshyaa = who is wide eyed; a~NgeShu = in Her limbs; susuuskhmamapi = even a minute; viruupam lakshaNam = misshapen characteristic; kiMchidapi = even insignificant (one).
"O ogresses! This Seetha daughter of Janaka, pleased with prostration is competent to protect us from great danger. And also I do not see in Her who is wide eyed, in Her limbs even a minute misshapen characteristic, even insignificant one."
चायावैगुण्यमात्रं तु शङ्के दुःखमुपस्थितम् || ५-२७-४६
अदुःखार्हमिमां देवीं वैहायसमुपस्थिताम् |
46. chaayaavaiguNya maatraM = (I see) an imperfection in complexion alone; sha~Nke = I doubt; imaam deviim = (that) this princess; upasthitaam = who came near; vaihaayasam = an aeroplane (in my dream); aduHkhaarhaam = who is not suited to sorrows; upasthitam = received; duHkham = sorrow.
"I see an imperfection in complexion alone. I doubt that this princess who came near an aeroplane in my dream, who is not suited to sorrows received sorrow."
अर्थसिद्धिं तु वैदेह्याः पश्याम्यहमुपस्थिताम् || ५-२७-४७
राक्षसेन्द्रविनाशं च विजयं राघवस्य च |
47. aham = I; pashyaami = am seeing; ardhasiddhiM tu = accomplished motive; vaidehyaaH = of Seetha; upasthitaam = coming near; raakshasendra vinaasham cha = the destruction of Ravana also; raaghavasya vijayaM cha = and victory of Rama (coming near).
"I am seeing Seetha coming near accomplishment of motive. I also see the destruction of Ravana also and victory of Rama coming near."
निमित्तभूतमेतत्तु श्रोतुमस्या महत्प्रियम् || ५-२७-४८
दृश्यते च स्फुरच्चक्षुः पद्मपत्रमिवायतम् |
48.nimittabhuutam = being a cause; shrotum = to listen; mahat = (to) a great; priyam = pleasure; asyaaH = of Her; etat = this; spurat = throbbing; chakshuH = eye; aayatam = long; padmapatramiva = like a lotus petal; dR^ishyate = is being seen ( by me).
"Being a cause to listen to a great pleasure of Her, this throbbing eye long like a lotus petal is being seen my me."
ईषच्च हृषितो वास्या दक्षिणाया ह्यदक्षिणः || ५-२७-४९
अकस्मादेव वैदेह्या बहुरेकः प्रकम्पते |
49. ekaH adakshiNaH baahuH = one left arm; t asyaaH dakshiNaayaaH vaidehyaaH = of this straight forward Seetha; akasmaadeva = suddenly; hR^iShitaH = has become erect; iiShat = slightly; prakampate = is trembling.
"One left arm of this strightforward Seetha suddenly has become erect and is slightly trembling."
करेणुहस्तप्रतिमः सव्यश्चोरुरनुत्तमः || ५-२७-५०
वेपमानः सूचयति राघवं पुरतः स्थितम् |
50. anuttamaH savyaH uuruH = (Seetha's) best left thigh; kareNuhastapratimaH = equal to an elephant's trunk; vepamaanaH = is trembling; suuchayati = indicating; raaghavam = Rama's; sthitam = is standing; purataH = in front (of Her).
"Seetha's best left thigh equal to an elephant's trunk is trembling indicating Rama's standing in front of Her."
पक्षी च शाखानिलयं प्रविष्टः |
पुनः पुनश्चोत्तमसान्त्ववादी |
सुस्वागतं वाचमुदीरयानः |
पुनः पुनश्चोदयतीव हृष्टः || ५-२७-५१
51. pakshii cha = a bird also; praviShTaH = entering; shaakhaa nilayam = (its) dwelling place on a branch; punaH punashcha = again and again; uttamasaantvavaadii = speaking best consolating words; susvaagatam vaacham udiirayaanaH = telliing heartily welcoming words; hR^iShTaH = being delighted; punaH punaH = again and again; chodayatiiva = as though impelling (Seetha).
"A bird also entering its dwelling place on a branch again and again speaking best consolating words, is telling heartily welcoming words being delighted again and again, as though impelling Seetha."
- - -
इत्यार्षे श्रीमद्रामायणे आदिकाव्ये सुन्दरकाण्डे सप्तविंशः सर्गः
|Top of Page||1||2||3||4|
© July, 2005, Kishore Kopalle