In this chapter Seetha ponders a lot and decides to give up life without Rama.
प्रसक्ताश्रुमुखी त्वेवं ब्रुवती जनकात्मजा |
अधोगतमुखी बाला विलप्तुमुपचक्रमे || ५-२६-१
1. prasaktaashrumukhii = with a face continually shedding tears; jankaatmajaa = Seetha; balaa = an young woman; evam = thus; bruvatii = speaking; adhogatamukhii = with downward face; upachakrame = started; vilaptum = to weep.
With a face continually shedding tears, Seetha an young woman, thus speaking with a downward face, started to weep.
उन्मत्तेव प्रमत्तेव भ्रान्तचित्तेव शोचती |
उपावृत्ता किशोरीव विवेष्टन्ती महीतले || ५-२६-२
2. unmatteva = like a mad one; pramatteva = like an intoxicated one; bhraantachitteva = with a deluded mind; shochatii = (Seetha was) crying; kishoriiva = like a female horse; upaavR^ittaa = rolling on ground; viveshhTantii = (Seetha) rolled; mahiitale = on the ground.
Seetha was crying like a mad one, like an intoxicated one, with a deluded mind. Like a female horse rolling on ground, Seetha rolled on the ground.
राघवस्य प्रमत्तस्य रक्षसा कामरूपिणा |
रावणेन प्रमथ्याहमानीता क्रोशती बलात् || ५-२६-३
3. raaghavasya = (while) Rama; pramattasya = was heedless; aham = I; kroshatii = who have been crying; balaat aaniitaa = (was) forcibly brought; pramathya = overpowered; rakshasaa = by the ogre; raavaNena = Ravana; kaamaruupiNaa = who can wear desired form.
"While Rama was heedless (taken away by Mareecha), I who have been crying was forcibly brought overpowered by the ogre Ravana who can wear desired form."
राक्षसीवशमापन्ना भर्त्स्यमाना सुदारुणम् |
चिन्तयन्ती सुदुःखार्ता नाहं जीवितुमुत्सहे || ५-२६-४
4. aapannaa = obtaining; raaskasii vasham = control by ogresses; bartsyamaanaa = being frightened; sudaaruNam = very horribly; chintayantii = thinking; suduHkhaartaa = being tormented by grief; aham = I; na utsahe = do not desire; jiivitum = to live.
"Being under the control of ogresses, being frightened very horribly, thinking and being tormented by grief, I do not desire to live."
न हि मे जीविते नार्थो नै वार्थैर्न च भूषणैः |
वसन्त्या राक्षसीमध्ये विना रामं महारथम् || ५-२६-५
5. vinaa = without; raamaM = Rama; mahaaratham = a great car-warrior; vasantyaaH = living; raakshasii madhye = in the midst of ogresses; arthaH na = there is no use; jiivitena = with life; me = to me; na arthaiH = not with wealth; na bhushhaNaishcha = not with ornaments.
"Without Rama, a great car-warrior, living in the midst of ogresses, there is no use with life to me; not with wealth, not with ornaments."
अश्मसारमिदं नूनथवाप्यजरामरम् |
हृदयं मम येनेदं न दुःखेनावशीर्यते || ५-२६-६
6. athavaa = or; mama = my; idam = this; hR^idayam = heart; nuunam = truly; ashmasaaram = (is made of) iron; ajaraamaramapi = is undecaying and without death; yena = by what reason; naavashiiryate = is it not destroying; duHkhena = with sorrow.
"Or my this heart truly is made of iron. It is undecaying and without death. By what reason is it not destroying with sorrow?"
धिङ्मामनार्यामसतीं याहं तेन विना कृता |
मुहूर्तमपि रक्षामि जीवितं पापजीविता || ५-२६-७
7. yaa = whoever; aham = I; paapajiivitaa = with a sinful life; kR^itaa = made; tena vinaa = (to be) without Rama; rakshaami = protecting; jiivitam = life; muhuurtamapi = even for a moment; maam = to such me; anaaryaam = who am ignoble; asatiim = who am bad wife; dhik = shame (on me).
"Whoever I with a sinful life made to be without Rama, protecting life even for a moment, to such me who am ignoble, who am bad wife, shame on me."
का च मे जीविते श्रद्धा सुखे वा तं प्रियं विना |
भर्तारं सागरान्ताया वसुधायाः प्रियंवदम् || ५-२६-८
8. priyam vinaa = without husband Rama;bhartaaram = (who is) lord; vasudhaayaaH = of the earth; saagaraantaayaaH = with ocean at the end; priyaMvadam = a pleasant talker; kaa = what (is); shradhhaa = interest; me = to me; jiivite = in life; sukhe vaa = or in comfort.
"Without husband Rama who is the lord of the earth with ocean at the end, a pleasant talker, what is the interest to me in life or in comfort."
भिद्यतां भक्ष्यतां वापि शरीरं विसृजाम्यहम् |
न चाप्यहं चिरं कुःखं सहेयं प्रियवर्जिता || ५-२६-९
9. aham = I; visR^ijaami = will leave; shariiram = the body; bhidyataam = let it be split (into pieces); bhakshyataam vaapi = or let it be eaten; aham = I; priyavarjitaa = without husband; na cha saheyam = will not tolerate; duHkham = sorrow; chiram = for a long time.
"I will leave the body. Let it be split into pieces or let it be eaten. I without husband will not tolerate sorrow for a long time."
चरणेनापि सव्येन न स्पृशेयं निशाचरम् |
रावणं किं पुनरहं कावयेयं विगर्हतम् || ५-२६-१०
10. aham = I; na spR^isheyam = will not touch; savyena charaNenaapi = even with my left foot; raavaNam = Ravana; nishaacharam = ogre; vigarhitam = of reprehensible conduct; kaamayeyam kiM punaH = what to say of desiring (him).
"I will not touch even with my left foot Ravana an ogre of reprehensible conduct. What to say of desiring him."
प्रत्याख्यातं न जानाति नात्मानं नात्मनः कुलम् |
यो नृशंसस्वभावेन मां प्रार्थयितुमिच्छति || ५-२६-११
11. yaH = whoever (Ravana); nR^ishaMsa svabhaavena = with a cruel nature; icchhati = is desiring; praarthayitum = to solicit; maam = me (that Ravana); na jaanaati = does not know; aatmaanam = him; pratyaakhyaatam = to be refused; na = (he does) not (know); aatmanaH = his; kulam = race.
"Whoever Ravana with a cruel nature is desiring to solicit me, that Ravana does not know him to be refused; he does not know his race."
चिन्ना भिन्ना विभक्ता वा दीप्तेवाग्नौ प्रदीपिता |
रावणं नोपतिष्ठेयं किं प्रलापेन वश्चिरम् || ५-२६-१२
12. chhinna vaa = (even) if cut; bhinna vaa = or if divided into parts; pradiipitaa vaa = or (even) if burnt; agnau = in fire; diipte = which is blazing; nopatishhTeyam = I will not reach; raavaNam = Ravana; kim = what is the use; vaH pralaapena = with your prattling; chiram = for a long time.
"Even if cut or if divided into parts in blazing fire, I will not reach Ravana. What is the use with your prattling for a long time?"
ख्यातः प्राज्ञः कृतज्ञ्शश्च राघवः |
सद्वृत्तो निरनुक्रोशः शङ्के मद्भाग्यसंक्षयात् || ५-२६-१३
13. raaghavaH = Rama; khyaataH = is famous; praajJNaH = is a wise man; saanulroshashcha = is compassionate; sadvR^ittaH = with a good conduct; madbhaagya saMkshayaat = due to deterioration of my fortune; saN^ke = I doubt; niranukroshaH = (He became) hard hearted.
"Rama is famous, is a wise man, is compassionate with a good conduct. Due to the deterioration of my fortune, I doubt He became hard hearted."
राक्षसानां सहस्राणि जनस्थाने चतुर्दश |
येनैकेन निरस्तानि स मां किं नाभिपद्यते || ५-२६-१४
14. yena ekena = by whom alone; chaturdasa saharaaNi = fourteen thousand; raakshsaanaam = of ogres; nirastaani = have been destroyed; kim = why; saH = (is) that Rama; naabhipadyaH = not saving; maam = me.
"By whom alone fourteen thousand of ogres have been destroyed, why is that Rama not saving me."
निरुद्धा रावणेनाहमल्पवीर्येण रक्षसा |
समर्थः खलु मे भर्ता रावणं हन्तुमाहवे || ५-२६-१५
15. aham = I; niruddhaa = am withheld; rakshasaa raavaNena = by the ogre Ravana; alpaviiryeNa = with little strength; me bhartaa = my husband; samarthaH khalu = is indeed capable; hantum = to kill; raavaNam = Ravana; ahave = in a war.
"I am withheld by the ogre Ravana with little strength. My husband is indeed capable of killing Ravana in a war."
विराधो दण्डकारण्ये येन राक्षसपुङ्गवः |
रणे रामेण निहतः स मां किं नाभिपद्यते || ५-२६-१६
16. yena raameNa = By which Rama; viraadhaH = Viradha; raakshasa puN^gavaH = best among ogres; nihataH = has been killed; daNDakaaraNye = in Dandaka forest; raNe = in a war; kim = why; saH = (is) that He; naabhipadyate = not saving; maam = me.
"By which Rama Viradha, best among ogres, has been killed in Dandaka forest in a war, why is that He not saving me?"
कामं मध्ये समुद्रस्य लङ्केयं दुष्प्रधर्षणा |
न तु राघवबाणानां गतिरोधो भविष्यति || ५-२६-१७
17. iyam laN^kaa = this city of Lanka; samudrsya madhye = being in the middle of ocean; dushhpR^idharshhaNaa kaamam = is difficult to be attacked; tu = but; na bhavishhyati = there will not be; gatirodhaH = an obstacle to flying; raaghava baanaaNaam = of Rama's arrows;
"This city of Lanka being in the middle of ocean is difficult to be attacked. But there will not be an obstacle to flying of Rama's arrows."
किं नु तत्कारणं येन रामो दृढपराक्रमः |
रक्षसापहृतां भार्यामिष्टां नाभ्यवपद्यते || ५-२६-१८
18. kim nu = what now; tat kaaraNam = is that reason; yena = by which; raamaH = Rama; dR^iDha paraakramaH = with a firm courage; naabhyavapadyate = is not protecting; ishhTaam bhaaryaam = His dear wife; apahR^itaam = stolen; rakshasaa = by an ogre.
"What now is that reason by which Rama with a firm courage is not protecting His dear wife stolen by an ogre."
इहस्थां मां न जानीते शङ्के लक्ष्मणपूर्वजः |
जानन्नपि स तेजस्वी धर्षणं मर्षयिष्यति || ५-२६-१९
19. shaN^ke = I doubt that; lakshmana puurvajaH = Rama elder to Lakshmana; na jaanite = does not know; maam = me; ihasthaam = to be here; jaanannapi = after knowing; saH tejasvii = (will) that glorious Rama; marshhyishhyati = tolerate; dharshhaNam = (this) outrage.
"I doubt that Rama elder to Laksmana does not know me to be here. After knowing will that glorious Rama tolerate this outrage?"
हृतेति योऽधिगत्वा मां राघवाय निवेदयेत् |
गृध्रारजोऽपि स रणे रावणेन निपातितः || ५-२६-२०
20. yaH = whoever Jatayu; adhigatvaa = nearing (Rama); nivedayat = will have let known; raaghavaaya = to Rama; hR^iteti = (that Seetha) was stolen; saH gR^idhra raajaH api = that king of vultures; hataH = has been killed; raavaNena = by Ravana; raNe = in war.
"Whoever Jatayu nearing Rama will have let known to Rama that Seetha was stolen, that king of vultures has been killed by Ravana in war."
कृतं कर्म महत्तेन मां तथाभ्यवपद्यता |
तिष्ठता रावणद्वन्द्वे वृद्धेनापि जटायुषा || ५-२६-२१
21. mahat karma = a great deed; kR^itam = has been done; tena jaTaayushhaa = by that Jatayu; tathaa = thus; abhyavapadyataa = protecting; maam = me; vR^iddhenaapi = although of old age; tishhThataa = standing; raavaNa dvandve = in a dual combat with Ravana.
"A great deed has been done by that Jatayu, thus protecting me, although of old age, standing in a dual combat with Ravana."
यदि मामिह जानीयाद्वर्तमानां स राघवः |
अद्य बाणैरभिक्रुद्धः कुर्याल्लोकमराक्षसम् || ५-२६-२२
22. saH raaghavaH = that Rama; jaaniiyaadyadi = if He knows; maam = me; iha vartamaanaam = to be living here; abhikruddhaH = with anger; kuryaat = will make; lokam = the world; araakshasam = to be without ogres; baaNaiH = with (His) arrows; adya = now.
"If that Rama knows me to be living here, with anger He will make the world to be without ogres with His arrows now."
विधमेच्च पुरीं लङ्कां शोषयेच्च महोदधिम् |
रावणस्य च नीचस्य कीर्तिं नाम च नाशयेत् || ५-२६-२३
23. vidhamechcha = (Rama will) blow away laN^kaaM puriim = the city of Lanka; shoshhayechcha = will dry up; mahodadhim = the great ocean; naashayet = will destroy; kiirtim = the fame; naama cha = and name; raavaNasya = of Ravana.
"Rama will blow away the city of Lanka, will dry up the great ocean, will destroy the name and fame of Ravana."
ततो निहतनाथानां राक्षसीनां गृहे गृहे |
यथाहमेवं रुदती तथा भुयो न संशयः || ५-२६-२४
24. tataH = thereafter; yathaa = how; aham = I ; evam rudatii = am crying in this way; tathaa = in the same way; gR^ihe gR^ihe = in house and house; raakshasiinaam = ogresses; nihatanaadhaanaam = with killed husbands (will cry); bhuuyaH = again and again; na saMshayaH = there is no doubt.
"Thereafter how I am crying in this way, in the same way, in very house, ogresses with killed husbands will cry again and again. There is no doubt in this."
अन्विष्य रक्षसां लङ्कां कुर्याद्रामः सलक्ष्मणः |
न हि ताभ्यां रिपुर्दृष्टो मुहूर्तमपि जीवति || ५-२६-२५
25. raamaH = Rama; salakshmaNaH = together will Lakshmana; anvishhya = will search; laN^kaam = Lanka; rakshasaam = of ogres; kuryaat = will do (destruction); ripuH = an enemy; dR^ishhTaH = seen; taabhyaam = by those two; na jiivati hi = will indeed not live; muhuurtamapi = even for a moment.
"Rama together will Lakshmana will search the city of Lanka belonging to ogres. An enemy seen by those two will indeed not live even for a moment."
चिताधुमाकुलपथा गृध्रमण्डलसंकुला |
अचिरेण तु लङ्केयं श्मशानसदृशी भवेत् || ५-२६-२६
26. iyam = this; lan^kaa = Lanka; achireNa = shortly; bhavet = will become; shmashaana sadR^ishii = like a graveyard; chitaadhuumakulapathaa = with paths agitated with smoke of funeral pyres; gR^idhramaNDalasaMkulaa = crowded with a group of vultures.
"This Lanka shortly will become like a graveyard, with paths agitated with smoke of funeral pyres, crowded with a group of vultures."
अचिरेणैव कालेन प्राप्स्याम्येव मनोरथम् |
दुष्प्रस्थानोऽयमाख्याति सर्वेषाम् वो विपर्ययम् || ५-२६-२७
27. achireNa kaalenaiva = in a short time only; praapsyaameva = I will attain; manoratham = (my) desire; ayam = this; dushhprasthaanaH = evil course; aakhyaati = is telling; sarveshhaam = all; vaH = of your; viparyayam = destruction.
"In a short time only I will attain my desire. This evil course is telling of destruction of you all."
यादृशानीह दृशन्ते लङ्कायामशुभानि वै |
अचिरेणैव कालेन भविष्यति हतप्रभा || ५-२६-२८
28. iha = here; laN^kaayaam = in Lanka; yaadR^ishaani = whatever; ashubhaani = inauspicious things; dR^ishyante = are being seen; achireNaiva kaalena = (from those) in a short while; bhavishhyati = (Lanka) will become; hataprabhaa = deprived of glory.
"Here in Lanka whatever inauspicious things are being seen, from those, in a short while Lanka will become deprived of glory."
नूनं लङ्का हते पापे रावणे राक्षसाधमे |
शोषं यास्यति दुर्धर्षा प्रमदा विधव यथा || ५-२६-२९
29. paape = sinful; raakshasaadhame = vile ogre; raavaNe = Ravana; hate = while being killed; laN^kaa = Lanka; durdharshhaa = which is unconquerable; nuunam = definitely; yaasyati = will get; shoshham = drying up; pramadaa yathaa = like a woman; vidhavaa = who lost husband.
"While the sinful, vile ogre Ravana is being killed, Lanka which is unconquerable till now, definitely will get drying up like a woman who lost husband."
पुण्योत्सव समृद्धा च नष्टभर्र्ती सराक्षसी |
भविष्यति पुरी लङ्का नष्टभर्त्री यथाङ्गना || ५-२६-३०
30. puNyotsava samR^iddhaa = (now) abounding in pious festivities; laN^kaapurii = the city of Lanka; nashhTa bhartrii = with lost lord; saraakshasii = together with ogresses; bhavishhyati = will become; aN^ganaa yathaa = like a woman; nashhTa bhartrii = with lost husband;.
"Now abounding in pious festivities, the city of Lanka with lost lord together with ogresses will become like a woman with lost husband."
नूनं राक्षसकन्यानां रुदन्तीनां गृहे गृहे |
श्रोष्यामि नचिरादेव दुःखार्तानामिह ध्वनिम् || ५-२६-३१
31. nachiraadeva = in a short while; iha = here; gR^ihe gR^ihe = in every house; nuunam shroshhyaami = I can definitely hear; dhvanim = the sound; raakshasakanyaanaam = of ogresses; rudantiinaam = crying; duHkhaartaanaam = being tormented by grief.
"In a short while here in every house I can definitely hear the sound of ogresses crying being tormented by grief."
सान्धकारा हतद्योता हतराक्षसपुङ्गवा |
भविष्यति पुरी लङ्का निर्दग्धा रामसायकैः || ५-२६-३२
32. la~Nkaa purii = the city of Lanka; bhavishhyati = will become; nirdagdhaa = burnt; raamasaayakaiH = by Rama's arrows; saandhakaaraa = together with darkness; hadadyotaa = with destroyed lustre; hata raakshasa pu~Ngavaa = with killed best ogres.
"The city of Lanka will become burnt by Rama's arrows together with darkness, with destroyed luster with killed best ogres."
यदि नाम स शूरो मां रामो रक्तान्तालोचनः |
जानीयद्वर्तमानां हि रावणस्य निवेशने || ५-२६-३३
33. saH raamaH = that Rama; shuuraH = a strong man; raktaanta lochanaH = with red eye corners; yadi naama jaaniiyaat = will he know; maam = me; vartamaanaam = to be living; niveshane = in the house; raavaNasya = of Ravana.
"Will that Rama who is a strong man with red eye corners know me to be in the house of Ravana."
अनेन तु नृशंसेन रावणेनाधमेन मे |
समयो यस्तु निर्दिष्टस्तस्य कालोऽयमागतः || ५-२६-३४
स च मे विहितो मृत्युरस्मिन् दुष्टे न वर्तते |
34. yaH = whatever; samayaH = time; nirdishhTa = ordered; anena raavaNena = by this Ravana; nR^ishaMsena = who is cruel; adhamena = (and) vilest of men; ayam = this; kaalaH = time; aagataH = has come; me = to me; saH mR^ityuH = that death; vihitaH = decreed; me = to me; na vartate = does not hold good; asmin dushhTe = in the matter of this evil one.
"Whatever time has been ordered by this cruel and vilest of men Ravana, this time has come to me. That death decreed to me does not hold good to this evil one (Ravana)."
अकार्यं ये न जानन्ति नैरृताः पापकारिणः || ५-२६-३५
अधर्मात्तु महोत्पातो भविष्यति हि सांप्रतम् |
नैते धर्मं विजानन्ति राक्षसाः पिशिताशनाः || ५-२६-३६
35; 36. ye nairR^itaaH = Whoever ogres; paapakaariNaH = who are sinners; naa jaanati = do not know; akaaryam = what should not be done; adharmaattu = due to their unrighteousness; saaMpratam = now; bhavishhyati = there will be; mahotpaataH = a great calamity; ete = these; raakshasaaH = ogres; pishitanaashanaaH = who are meat eaters; na jaanati = do not know; dharmam = virtue.
"Whoever sinful ogres who do not know what should not be done, due to their unrighteousness now there will be a great calamity. These meat eating ogres do not know virtue."
ध्रुवं मां प्रातराशार्थे राक्षसः कल्पयिस्यति |
साहं कथं करिष्यामि तं विना प्रियदर्शनम् || ५-२६-३७
रामम् रक्तान्तनयनमपश्यन्ती सुकुःखिता |
37. raakshsaH = an ogre; dhruvam = will definitely; kalpayishhyati = make; maam = me; praataraashaarthe = for breakfast; saa aham = such I; katham karishhyaami = what should do; tam vinaa = without Rama; priyadarshanam = with pleasing appearance; suduHkhitaa = I am grieving a lot; apashyantii = not seeing; raamam = Rama; raktaantanayanam = with red eye corners.
"An ogre will definitely eat me for breakfast. What should such I do without Rama with pleasing appearance? I am grieving a lot not seeing Rama with red eye corners."
यदि कश्चित् प्रदाता मे विषस्याद्य भवेदिह || ५-२६-३८
क्षिप्रं वैवस्वतं देवं पश्येयं पतिना विना |
38. adya = now; kashchit bhavedyadi = if there exists any one; praadaataa = (who is a) giver; vishhasya = of poison; iha = here; patinaa vinaa = (I) without husband; kshipram = quickly; pashyeyam = will see; devam = the god; vaivasvatam = Yama.
"Now if there exists any one who is a giver of poison here, I without husband quickly will see the god Yama."
नाजानाज्जिवतीं रामः स मां लक्ष्मणपूर्वजः || ५-२६-३९
जानन्तौ तौ न कुर्यातां नोर्य्वां हि मम मार्गणम् |
39. saH raamaH = that Rama; lakshmaNa puurvajaH = elder to Lakshmana; naajaanaat = (may) not know; maam = me; jiivatiim = to be alive; tau = those two; jaanantau = knowing (me to be alive); na kuryataam iti na = it cannot be said that they will not do; mama maargaNam = my search; uurdhvaam = on earth;
"That Rama elder to Lakshmana may not know me to be alive. If those two know me to be alive, then it cannot be said that they will not do my search on earth."
नूनं ममैव शोकेन स नीरो लक्ष्मणाग्रजः || ५-२६-४०
देवलोकमितो यातस्त्यक्त्वा देहं महीतले |
40. lakshmaNaagrajaH = the elder brother of LakshmaNa; saH = that Rama; viiraaH = who is valiant; mama shokenaiva = due to grief of me; tyaktvaa = leaving; deham = the body; mahiitale = on earth; yaataH = has gone; itaH = from here; devalokam = to celestial world; nuunam = this is certain.
"That valiant Rama who is the elder brother of Lakshmana due to grief of me, leaving the body on earth has gone to celestial world. This is certain."
धन्या देवाह् सगन्धर्वाः सिद्धाश्च परमर्षयः || ५-२६-४१
मम पश्यन्ति ये नाथं रामं राजीवलोचनम् |
41. ye = whoever;pashyanti = is seeing; mama = my; naatham = husband; raamam = Rama; raajiiva lochanam = with eyes resembling a lotus flower; devaaH = (such) Devas; siddhaashcha = Siddhas; sagandhravaaH = together with Gandharvas; parmarshhayaH = and great sages; dhanyaaH = are fortunate.
"Whoever is seeing my husband Rama with eyes resembling a lotus flower such Devas, Siddhas together with Gandharvas and great sages are fortunate."
अथवा न हि तस्यार्थो द्कर्मकामस्य धीमतः || ५-२६-४२
मया रामस्य राजर्षेर्भार्यया परमात्मनः |
42. athavaa = or; tasya raamasya = to that Rama; dharmakaamasya = with a desire in virtuousness; dhiimataH = who is intelligent; raajarshheH = sage-king; paramaatmanaH = the supreme spirit; artham na = there is no use; mayaa = with me; bhaaryayaa = his wife.
"Or to that Rama with a desire in virtuousness, who is intelligent, a sage-king, the supreme spirit, there is no use with me, his wife."
दृश्यमाने भवेत्प्रीतिः सौहृदं नास्त्यपश्यतः || ५-२६-४३
नाशयन्ति कृतघ्नास्तु न रामो नाशयिष्यति |
43. priitiH bhavet = friendly disposition will occur; dR^ishyamaane = in what is being seen; naasti = there is no; sauhR^idam = friendship; apashyataH = to one who does not see; kR^itaghnaaH = ungreatful ones; naashayanti = destroy (friendship); raamaH tu = but Rama; na naashayishhyati = will not destroy friendship.
"Friendly disposition will occur in what is being seen. There is no friendship to one who does not see. Ungrateful ones destroy frindship. But Rama will not destroy friendship."
किं नु मे न गुणाः केचित्किं वा भाग्यक्षयो मम || ५-२६-४४
याहं सीदामि रामेण हीना मुख्येन भामिनी |
44. aham = I; yaa = who; bhaaminii = is a woman; siidaami = (who is) perishing; mukhyena raameNa vinaa = without the chief Rama; me = to (such) me; na kiM nu = are there no; kechit guNaaH = good qualities; kiM vaa = or; mama = (has) my; bhaagyakshayaH = fortune diminished.
"I who is a woman who is perishing without the chief Rama to such me are there no good qualities or has my fortune diminished."
श्र्यो हि हीवितान्मर्तुं विहीनाया महात्मनः || ५-२६-४५
45. vihiinaayaaH = deprived; raamaat = from Rama; aklishhTa chaaritraat = with untroubled reputation; shuuraat = a warrior; shatrunibarhaNaat = annihilator of enemies; mahaatmanaH = a great soul; me = to (such) me; jiivitaat = more than living; martuH = death; shreyaH = is good.
"To me who is deprived of Rama with untroubled reputation, a warrior, annihilator of enemies, a great soul, more than living, death is good."
अथवा न्यस्तशस्त्रौ तौ वने मूलफलाशिनौ || ५-२६-४६
भ्रातरौ हि नरश्रेष्ठौ संवृत्तौ वनगोचरौ |
46. athavaa = or; tau bhraatarau = those two brothers; narashresThau = best among men; nyasta shastrau = giving up weapons; vane = in the forest; saMvR^ittau = (may have) become; vanagocharau = dwellers of forest; muulaphalaashanau = eating roots and fruits.
"Or those two brothers who are best among men giving up weapons in the forest may have become dwellers of forest eating roots and fruits."
अथवा राक्षसेन्द्रेण रावणेन दुरात्मना || ५-२६-४७
चद्मना घातितौ शूरौ भ्रातरौ रामलक्ष्मणौ |
47. athavaa = or; raamalakshmaNau = Rama and Lakshmana; shuurau bhraatarau = the warrior brothers;ghaatitau = (may have been) killed; duraatmanaa = by the evil soul; raakshsendreNa raavaNena = by king of ogres Ravana; chadmanaa = by deceit;
"Or Rama and Lakshmana the warrior brothers may have been killed by the evil soul king of ogres Ravana by deceit."
साहमेवंगते काले मर्तुमिच्छामि सर्वथा || ५-२६-४८
न च मे विहितो मृत्युरस्मिन् दुःखेऽपि वर्तते |
48. evam gate = under such circumstances; kaale = (and time); saa = such; aham = I; sarvathaa = in all ways; ichchhaami = am desiring; martum = to die; asmin dukhaH api = even in this grief; mR^ityuH = death; vihitaH na vartate = is not bestowed (on me).
"Under such circumstances and time, such I in all ways am desiring to die. Even in this grief, death is not bestowed on me."
धन्याः खलु महात्मानो मुनयस्त्यक्तकिल्बिषाः || ५-२६-४९
जितात्मनो महाभागा येषां न स्तः प्रियाप्रिये |
49. mahaatmanaH = great souled ones; tyakta kilbishhaaH = with abandoned sins; jittatmanaH = with a conquered mind; mahaabhaagaaH = those with great fortune; munayaH = sages; dhanyaaH khalu = are indeed fortunate; yeshhaam = to whom; na staH = there is no; priyaapriye = pleasure or displeasure.
"Great souled ones with abandoned sins, with a conquered mind, those with great fortune, sages are indeed fortunate to whom there is no pleasure and displeasure."
प्रियान्न संभवेद्दुःखमप्रियादधिकं भयम् || ५-२६-५०
ताभ्यां हि ये वियुज्यन्ते नमस्तेषां महात्मनाम् |
50. priyaat = from pleasure; duHkham = sorrow; apriyaat = (and) from displeasure; adhikam bhayam = great fear; na sambhavet = do not occur (to great souls); ye = whoever; viyujyante = are separated; taabhyaam = from pleasure and displeasure; namaH = (my) obeisance; teshhaam mahaatmaanaam = to such great souls.
"From pleasure sorrow and from displeasure great fear do not occur to great souls. Whoever are separated from pleasure and displeasure, my obeisance to such great souls."
साहंत्युक्ता प्रियेणैव रामेन विदितात्मना || ५-२६-५१
प्राणांस्त्यक्ष्यामि पापस्य रावनस्य गता वशम् |
51. tyaktaa = left; priyeNaiva raameNa = by dear Rama; viditaatmanaa = with a well known mind; vasham gataa = coming under the control; paapasya = of sinful one; raavaNasya = of Ravana; saa aham = such I; tyakshaami = will leave; praaNaan = breath of life.
"Left by dear Rama with a well known mind coming under the control of sinful Ravana, such I will leave breath of life."
- - -
इत्यार्षे श्रीमद्रामायणे आदिकाव्ये सुन्दरकाण्डे षड्विंशः सर्गः
|Top of Page||1||2||3||4|
© July 2005, Kishore Kopalle