Seetha calls out Rama and others and bursts into a wail not being able to endure the threats of ogre women.
atha tāsāṃ vadantīnāṃ paruṣaṃ dāruṇaṃ bahu |
rākṣasīnāmasaumyānāṃ ruroda janakātmajā || 5-25-1
1; atha = thereafter; taasaam = (as) those; raakshasiinaam = ogre women; asaumyaanaam = with a cruel nature;vadantiinaam = were speaking; bahu = a lot; parushham = harshly; daaruNam = (and) horribly;janakaatmajaa = Seetha; ruroda = cried.
As those ogre woman with a cruel nature were speaking a lot harshly and horribly, Seetha cried.
evamuktā tu vaidehī rākṣasībhirmanasvinī |
uvāca paramatrastābāṣpagadgadayā girā || 5-25-2
2. evam = thus; uktaa = being spoken to; raakshasiibhiH = by ogre women; vaidehii = Seetha; manasvinii = with a good mind; paramatrastaa = being frightened a lot; baashhpa gadgadayaa giraa = with a voice indistinct due to tears; uvaacha = spoke (as follows).
Thus being spoken to by ogre women, Seetha with a good mind being frightened a lot spoke as follows with a voice indistinct due to tears.
na mānuṣī rākṣasasya bhāryā bhavitumarhati |
kāmaṃ khādata māṃ sarvā na kariṣyāmi vo vacaḥ || 5-25-3
3. maanushhii = a human woman; na arhati = is not suited; bhavitum = to become; bhaaryaa = a wife; raakshasasya = of an ogre; sarvaaH = all of you; khaadata = eat; maam = me; kaamam = according to your desire;na karishhyaami = I will not do; vaH = (according to) your; vachaH = words.
"A human woman is not suited to become a wife of an ogre. All of you eat me according to your desire. I will not do according to your words."
sā rākṣasīmadhyagatā sītā surasutopamā |
na śarma lebhe duḥkhārtā rāvaṇena ca tarjitā || 5-25-4
4. raakshsaiimadhyagataa = being in the middle of ogre women; tarjitaa = being frightened; raavaNena cha = by Ravana also; surasutopamaa = like a daughter of gods; saa siitaa = that Seetha; na lebhe = did not get; sharma = comfort; duHkhaartaa = being tormented by grief.
Being in the middle of ogre women, being frightened by Ravana also, like a daughter of gods, that Seetha did not get comfort being tormented by grief.
vepate smādhikaṃ sītā viśantī vāṅgamātmanaḥ |
vane yathā paribhraṣṭā mṛgī kokairivārditā || 5-25-5
5. mR^igiiva = like a fawn; vane = in a forest; yuudhaparibhrashhTaa = lost from its herd; arditaa = tormented; kokaiH = by wolves; vishantiiva = (Seetha was) as though sinking (into); aatmanaH = own; aN^gam = body; vepate sma = (and) shook; adhikam = a lot.
Like a fawn in a forest lost from its herd and tormented by wolves, Seetha was as though sinking into own body and shook a lot.
sā tvaśokasya vipulāṃ śākhāmālambya puṣpitām |
cintayāmāsa śokena bhartāraṃ bhagnamānasā || 5-25-6
6. saa tu = that Seetha; bhagna maanasaa = with a broken heart; shokena = due to grief; aalambya = holding; pushhpitaam shaakhaam = a flowering branch; vipulaam = which was wide; ashokasya = of Ashoka tree; chintayaamaasa = thought; bhartaaram = about husband.
That Seetha with a broken heart due to grief, held a wide flowering branch of Ashoka tree and thought about Her husband.
sā snāpayantī vipulau stanau netrajalasravaiḥ |
cintayantī na śokasya tadāntamadhigacchati || 5-25-7
7. tadaa = then; saa = that Seetha; snaapayantii = washing; vipulau stanau = Her wide breasts; netra jala sravaiH = with a flow of tears from eyes; chintayantii = (and) thinking; na adhigachchhati = did not get; antam = end; shokasya = of sorrow.
Then that Seetha washing Her wide breasts with a flow of tears from eyes and thinking, did not get end of sorrow.
sā vepamānā patitā pravāte kadaldī yathā |
rākṣasīnāṃ bhayatrastā vivarṇavadanābhavat || 5-25-8
8. saa = that Seetha; vepamaanaa = was shaking; kadaLii yathaa = like a plantain tree; patitaa = fallen down; pravaate = in an exceedingly windy place; raakshasii bhaya saMtrastaa = trembling with fear of the ogre women; abhavat = became; vivarNavadanaa = with a pale face.
That Seetha was shaking like a plantain tree fallen down in an exceedingly windy place, trembling with fear of the ogre women, and became with a pale face.
tasyāḥ sā dīrghavipulā vepantyā sītayā tadā |
dadṛśe kampinī veṇī vyāldīva parisarpatī || 5-25-9
9. saa kampinii veNii = that moving plait; diirgha vipulaa = which was wide and long; tasyaaH paramstriyaaH = of that best woman; vepantyaaH = trembling; dadR^ishe = was seen (to be); vyaaLiiva = like a serpant;parisarpatii = in motion.
That moving plait, which was wide and long, of that best woman was seen to be like a serpant in motion.
sā niḥśvasantī duḥkhārtā śokopahatacetanā |
ārtā vyasṛjadaśrūṇi maithilī vilalāpa ca || 5-25-10
10. saa maithilii = that Seetha; duHkhaartaa = tormented by grief; shokopahata chetanaa = with a mind hit by sorrow; aartaa = struck by calamity; niHshvasantii = was sighing; nyasR^ijat = let down; ashruuNi = tears; vilalaapa cha = and also cried.
That Seetha tormented by grief, with a mind hit by sorrow, struck by calamity was sighing and let down tears and also cried.
hā rāmeti ca duḥkhārtā hā punarlakṣmaṇeti ca |
hā śvaśru mama kausalye hā sumitreti bhāminī || 5-25-11
11. bhaaminii = Seetha; duHkhaartaa = being tormented by grief (said) ; haa raameti = Oh! Rama! punaH = again; haa lakshmaNeti = Oh! Lakshmana; haa kausalye = Oh! Kausalya; mama shvashru = my mother-in-law; haa sumitreti = Oh! Sumitra.
Seetha being tormented by grief said : "Oh! Rama!" and again "Oh! Lakshmana!","Oh! Kausalya!, my mother-in-law" "Oh! Sumitra!"
lokapravādaḥ satyo.ayaṃ paṇḍitaiḥ samudāhṛtaḥ |
akāle durlabho mṛtyuḥ striyā vā puruṣasya vā || 5-25-12
yadāhamevaṃ krūrābhī rākṣasībhirihārditā |
jīvāmi hīnā rāmeṇa muhūrtamapi duḥkhitā || 5-25-13
12; 13. aham = I; evam = thus; aarditaa = being tormented; kruuraabhiH raakshasiibhiH = by cruel ogre women; iha = here; hiinaa = lacking; raameNa = Rama; duHkhaartaa = being tormented by grief; yadaa = when; jiivaami = I am living; muhuurtamapi = even for a moment; mR^ityuH = death; akaale = at wrong time; striyaaH vaa = to woman; purushhasya = or to a man; durlabhaH = is hard; samudaahR^itaH = (thus) being said;lokapravaadaH = the popular saying in the world; satyaH = is true.
"I thus being tormented by cruel ogre women here lacking Rama, being tormented by grief, when I am living even for a moment,' death at wrong time to woman or to a man is hard' - thus being said this popular saying in the world is true."
eṣālpapuṇyā kṛpaṇā vinaśiṣyāmyanāthavat |
samudramathye nauḥ pūrṇā vāyuvegairivāhatā || 5-25-14
14. eshhaa = this me; alpapuNyaa = with small merit;kR^ipaNaa = wretched; anaathavat = like an orphan; vinashishhyaami = will perish; nauH iva = like a ship; samudramadhye = in the middle of the ocean; aahataa = being hit; vaayuvegaiH = by the speed of wind.
"This me with small merit,wreched, like an orphan, will perish like a ship in the middle of the ocean being hit by the speed of wind."
bhartāraṃ tamapaśyantī rākṣasīvaśamāgatā |
sīdāmi khalu śokena kūlaṃ toyahataṃ yathā || 5-25-15
15. apashyantii = not seeing; bhartaaram = my husband; tam = that Rama;aagataa = obtaining; raakshasii vasham = control of ogre women; tiiram yathaa = like a bank; toyahatam = hit by water; siidaami khalu = I am verily perishing; shokena = with sorrow.
"Not seeing my husband that Rama and obtaining control of ogre women like a bank hit by water I am verily perishing with sorrow."
taṃ padmadaldapatrākṣaṃ siṃhavikrāntagāminam |
dhanyāḥ paśyanti me nāthaṃ kṛtajñaṃ priyavādinam || 5-25-16
16. dhanyaaH = (only) fortunate; pashyanti = see; tam = that; me = my; naatham = husband; padmadaLapatraaksham = with eyes like petals of an expanded lotus; siMha vikraanta gaaminam = walking with the gait of a lion; kR^itajJNam = correct in conduct; priyavaadiam = pleasant talker;
"Only fortunate see that my husband with eyes like petals of an expanded lotus, walking with the gait of a lion, correct in conduct and a pleasant talker."
sarvathā tena hīnāyā rāmeṇa viditātmanā |
tīkṣṇaṃviṣamivāsvādyadurlabhaṃ mama jīvitam || 5-25-17
17. mama = to me; hiinaayaaH = lacking; tena = that Rama; viditaatmanaa = with a famous soul; aasvaadyeva = like after eating; tiikshNam vishham = a pungent poison; jiivitam = life; sarvathaa = in all ways; durlabham = is hard.
"To me lacking that Rama with a famous soul, like after eating a pungent poison life in all ways is hard."
kīdṛśaṃ tu mahāpāpaṃ mayā janmāntare kṛtam |
yenedaṃ prāpyate duḥkhaṃ mayā ghoraṃ sudāruṇaṃ || 5-25-18
18. yena = by what; mayaa = by me; praapyate = obtaining; idam = this; duHkham = grief; ghoram = which is horrible;sudaaruNam = very dreadful; kiidR^isham = what kind of; mahaa paapam = great sin;kR^itam = has been done; mayaa = by me; janmaantare = in an other life.
"By what this horrible and very dreadful grief is obtained by me, what kind of great sin had been done by me in another life."
jīvitaṃ tyaktuṃicchāmi śokena mahatā vṛtā |
rākṣasībhiśca rakṣyantyā rāmo nāsādyate mayā || 5-25-19
19. vR^itaa = together; mahataa shokena = with great grief; ichchhaami = I desire; tyaktum = to give away; jiivitum = life; kaamaH = (this) desire; na avaapyate = is not obtainable; mayaa = by me; surakshitaa = I am well protected; raakshasiibhiH = by ogre women.
"Together with great grief, I desire to give away my life. This desire is not obtainable by me. I am well protected by ogre women."
dhigastu khalu mānuṣyaṃ dhigastu paravaśyatām |
na śakyaṃ yatparityaktumātmacchandena jīvitam || 5-25-20
20. dhik astu = fie; maanushhyam = upon human condition; dhik astu = fie; paravashyataam = upon being in the control of others; yat = by what reason; aatmachchhandena = according to own desire; na shakyam = it is not possible; parityaktum = to give up; jiivitam = life.
"Fie upon human condition! Fie upon being in the control of others. By what reason it is not possible according to own desire to give up life."
- - -
ityārṣe śrīmadrāmāyaṇe ādikāvye sundarakāṇḍe pañcaviṃśaḥ sargaḥ
|Top of Page||1||2||3||4|
© July 2005, Kishore Kopalle
Read more about:
being and verse
Fastest SFTP (SSH) anywhere, FREE Go FTP