Seetha cites the examples of Sachi, Arundhati, Rohini et.al., on their devotion towards their husbands. Ogre women threaten to kill Seetha and eat her.
tataH siitaamupaagamya raakShasyo vikR^itaananaaH |
paruShaM paruShaa naarya UcustaaM vaakyamapriyam || 5-24-1
1. tataH = Thereafter; raakshasyaH naaryaH = ogre women; parushhaaH = with a cruel nature; vikR^itaananaH = with crooked faces; upaagamya = neared; taam siitaam = that Seetha; uuchuH = (and) spoke; apriyam = unpleasant; vaakyam = words; parushham = harshly.
Thereafter ogre women with a cruel nature, with crooked faces neared that Seetha and spoke unpleasant words harshly.
kiM tvamantaHpure siite sarvabhuutamanohare |
mahaarhashayanopete na vaasamanumanyase || 5-24-2
2. siite = O Seetha; kim = why; tvam = (are) you; naanuamanyase = not agreeing; vaasam = to stay; antaHpure = in the gynaeceum; sarvabhuuta manohare = pleasing to all beings; mahaarhashayanopete = together with the very best beds.
"O Seetha! Why are you not agreeing to stay in the gynaeceum pleasing to all beings together with very best beds."
maanuShii maanuShasyaiva bhaaryaatvaM bahumanyase |
pratyaahara mano raamaanna tvaM jaatu bhaviShyasi || 5-24-3
3. maanyshhii = you who are a human; bahumanyase = are thinking highly; bhaaryaatvam = (about) the wifehood; maanushhasyaiva = of a human being; pratyahaara = withdraw; manaH = mind; raamaat = from Rama; tvam = (otherwise) you; na bhavishhyasi = will not exist; jaatu = at all;
"You who are a human are thinking highly about the wifehood of a human being. Withdraw your mind from Rama. Otherwise you will not exist at all."
trailokyavasubhoktaaraM raavaNaM raakShaseshvaram |
bhartaaramupasaMgamya viharasva yathaasukham || 5-24-4
4. viharasva = sport; yathaasukham = according to (your) comfort; saMgamya = coming together; raakshaseshvaram = (with) the king of ogres; raavaNam = Ravana; trailokyavasubhoktaaram = enjoying luxuries of the three worlds; bhartaaram = (and taking him) as husband.
"Sport according to your comfort coming together with the king of ogres Ravana enjoying luxuries of the three worlds and taking him as husband.
maanuShii maanuShaM taM tu raamamichchhasi shobhane |
raajyaadbhraaShTamasiddhaarthaM viklabaM tvamanindite || 5-24-5
5. shobhane = O beautiful one!; anindite = O irreproachable one!; maanushhii tu = but being a human; tvam = you; iccchhasi = are desiring; tam raamam = that Rama; maanushham = who is a human; bhrashhTam = banished; raajyaat = from kingdom; asiddhaartham = unsuccessful; viklabam = (and) gloomy.
"O beautiful one! O irrreproachable one! But being a human you are desiring that Rama who is a human, banished from kingdom, unsuccessful and gloomy."
raakShasiinaaM vachaH shrutvaa siitaa padmanibhekShaNaa |
netraabhyaamashrupuurNaabhyaamidaM vacanamabraviit || 5-24-6
6. siitaa = Seetha; padma nibhekshaNaa = with eyes like lotuses; shrutvaa = hearing; vachaH = words; raakshasiinaam = of ogre women; abraviit = spoke; idam vachanam = these words; netraabhyaam = with eyes; ashrupuurNaabhyaam = filled with tears.
Seetha with eyes like lotuses hearing the words of ogre women spoke these words with eyes filled with tears.
yadidam lokavidviShTamudaaharatha saMgataaH |
naitanmanasi vaakyaM me kilbiShaM pratibhaati vaH || 5-24-7
7. saMgataa = (all of you) coming together; yat vaakyam = whatever words; lokavidviSTam = which are hated in the world; udaaharatha = you spoke; me = in my matter; etat = this; na pratibhaati = does it not seem; kilbishham = sinful; vaH = in your; manasi = mind;
"All of you coming together whatever words which are hated in the world you spoke in my matter, this does it not seem sinful in your mind?"
na maanuShii raakShasasya bhaaryaa bhavitumarhati |
kaamaM khaadata maaM sarvaa na kariShyaami vo vachaH || 5-24-8
8. maanushhii = Human woman; na arhati = is not suited; bhavitum = to become; bhaaryaa = wife; raakshasasya = of an ogre; sarvaaH = all of you; kaamam = freely; khaadata = eat; maam = me; na karishhyaami = I will not honour; vaH vachanaH = your words.
"Human woman is not waited to become wife of an ogre. All of you freely eat me. I will not honour your words."
diino vaa raajyahiino vaa yo me bhartaa sa me guruH |
taM nityamanuraktaasmi yathaa suuryaM suvarchalaa || 5-24-9
9. diinaH vaa = (although) wretched; raajya hiinaH vaa = or without kingdom; yaH = whoever; me bhartaa = is my husband; saH = He (alone); me = is my; guruH = master; suvarchalaa yathaa = like Suvarchala; suuryam = with the Sun God; anuraktaa asmi tam = I am fond of Him; nityam = always;
"Although wretched or without kingdom, whoever is my husband, He alone is my master. Like Suvarchala with the Sun God, I am fond of Him always."
yathaa shacii mahaabhaagaa shakraM samupatiShThati |
arundhatii vasiShThaM ca rohiNii shashinaM yathaa || 5-24-10
lopaamudraa yathaagastyaM sukanyaacyavanaM yathaa |
saavitrii satyavantaM ca kapilaM shriimatii yathaa || 5-24-11
saudaasaM madayantiiva keshinii sagaraM yathaa |
naiShadhaM damayantiiva bhaimii patimanuvrataa || 5-24-12
tathaahamikShvaakuvaraM raamaM patimanuvrataa |
10; 11; 12. yathaa = like; mahaabhaagaa = the highly fortunate; shachii = Sachi; samupatishhThati = (who) waits; shukram = upon Indra; arundhatii vasishhTham cha = like Arundhati on Vasishta; yathaa = like; rohiNi sashinam = Rohini on the Moon God; yathaa = like; lopamudraa agastyam = Lopamudra on Agastya; sukanyaa chyavanam yathaa = like Sukanya on Chyavana; saavitrii satyavantam = (like) Savitri on Satyavanta; shriimatii kapilam yathaa = like Srimati on Kapila; saudaasam madayantiiva = like Madayanti on Saudasa; keshinii sagaram yathaa = like Kesini on Sagara; damayantiiva = like Damayanti; bhaimii = daughter of Bhima; anuvrataa = devoted; patim naishhadham = to husband Nala; tathaa = in the same way; aham anuvrataa = I am devoted; patim raamam = to my husband Rama; ikshvaakuvaram = best in Ikshvaku dynasty.
"Like the highly fortunate Sachi who waits upon Indra, like Arundhati on Vasishta, like Rohini on the Moon God, like Lopamudra on Agastya, like Sukanya on Chyavana, like Savitri on Satyavanta, like Srimati on Kapila, like Madayanti on Saudasa, like Kesini on Sagara, like Damayanti the daughter of Bhima, devoted to husband Nala, in the same way I am devoted to my husband Rama, the best in Ikshvaku dynasty."
siitaayaa vacanaM shrutvaa raakShasyaH krodhamuurchitaaH || 5-24-13
bhartsayanti sma paruShairvaakyai raavaNacoditaaH |
13. raakshasyaH = ogre women; raavaNa choditaaH = incited by Ravana; shrutvaa = listening; vachanam = to the words; siitaayaaH = of Seetha; krodhamuurchitaaH = swooned with anger; bhartsayanti = frightened (Her); parushhaiH vaakyaiH = with harsh words.
Ogre women incited by Ravana listening to the words of Seetha, swooned with anger and frightened Her with harsh words.
avaliinaH sa nirvaakyo hanumaan shiMshupaadrume || 5-24-14
siitaaM saMtarjayantiistaa raaksasiirashR^iNot kapiH |
14. saH hanumaan = that Hanuma; kapiH = a monkey; nirvaakyaH = not talking; avaliinaH = (and) hiding; shiMshupaa drume = in the Simsupa tree; ashR^iNot = listened; taaH raakshasiiH = to those ogre women; saMtarjayantiiH = frightening; siitaam = Seetha.
That monkey Hanuma not talking and hiding in the Simsupa tree listened to those ogre women frightening Seetha.
taamabhikramya saMkruddaa vepamaanaaM samantataH || 5-24-15
bhR^ishaM saMlilihurdiiptaan pralabman dashanachchhadaan |
15. abhikramya = nearing; taam = that Seetha; vepamaanaam = shaking (with fear); samantataH = in all directions; saMkR^iddhaH = (those ogres) being angry; saMlilihuH = licked; bhR^isham = a lot; diiptaan = shining; pralambaan dashanachchhadaan = hanging lips.
Nearing that Seetha shaking with fear in all directions, those ogres being angry licked a lot shining and hanging lips.
Uchushcha paramakruddhaaH pragR^ihyaashu parashvadhaan || 5-24-16
neyamarhati bhartaaraM raavaNaM raakShasaadhipam |
16. paramkruddhaaH = being angry a lot; pragR^ihya = grasping; aashu = quickly; parashvadhaan = axes; uuchushcha = and spoke; iyam = this woman; naarhati = is not suited; raakshasaadhipam = (to have) the king of ogres; raavaNAm = Ravana; bhartaaram = as husband.
Being angry a lot and grasping axes quickly spoke as follows: "This woman is not suited to have the king of ogres Ravana as husband."
saa bhartasyamaanaa bhiimaabhii raakShasiibhirvaraananaa || 5-24-17
sabaaShpamapasarpantii shiMshupaaM taamupaagamat |
17.bhatsyamaanaa = being frightened; raakshasiibhiH = by ogre women; bhiimaabhiH = who were horrible; saa varaananaa = that Seetha with best face; sabaashhpam = with tears in eyes; apasarpantii = moving from there; uppagamat = reached; taam shiMshupaam = that Simsupa tree.
Being frightened by ogre women who were horrible that Seetha with best face with tears in eyes and moving from there reached that Simsupa tree.
tatastaaM shiMshupaaM siitaa raakShasiibhiH samaavR^itaa || 5-24-18
abhigamya vishaalaakShii tasthau shokapariplutaa |
18. tataH = Thereafter; vishaalaakshii = the wide eyed; siitaa = Seetha; abhigamya = nearing; taam siMsupaam = that Simsupa tree; samaavR^itaa = being surrounded; raakshasiibhiH = by ogre women; tasthau = was situated (there); shokapariplutaa = with gloom.
Thereafter the wide eyed Seetha nearing that Simsupa tree being surrounded by ogre women was situated there with gloom.
taaM kR^ishaaM diinavadanaaM malinaambaradhaariNiim || 5-24-19
bhartsayaaMchakrire siitaaM raakShasyastaam samantataH |
19. taaH = those; raakshasyaH = ogres; bhartsayaaMchakrire = frightened; samantataH = from all directions; taam siitaam = that Seetha; kR^ishaam = (who was) emaciated; diinavadanaam = with a pitiful face; malinaambaradhaariNiim = wearing dirty garments;
Those ogres frightened from all directions that Seetha who was emaciated with a pitiful face and wearing dirty garments.
tatastaaM vinataa naama raakShasii bhiimadarshanaa || 5-24-20
abraviitkupitaakaaraa karaaLaa nirNatodarii |
20. tataH = Thereafter; raakshasii = an ogre woman; vinataa naama = named Vinata; bhiimadarshnaa = with a horrible appearance; kupitaakaaraa = with an angry form; karaaLaa = crooked; nirNatodarii = having a prominent belly; taam abraviit = spoke to Her.
Thereafter an ogre woman named Vinata with a horrible appearance with an angry form, crooked, having a prominent belly spoke to Her.
siite paryaaptametaavadbhartuH sneho nidarshitaH || 5-24-21
sarvaatraatikR^itaM bhadre vyasanaayopakalpate |
21. siite = O Seetha!; snehaH = love; bhartuH = of husband; nidarshitaH = has been shown (by you); etaavat = this much; paryaaptam = is enough; bhadre = O auspicious one!; sarvatra = at all times; atikR^itam = doing (something) excessively; upakalpate = serves as; vyasanaaya = vice ;
"O Seetha! You have showed love of husband. This much is enough. O auspicious one! At all times doing something excessively serves as vice."
parituShTaasmi bhadraM te maanuShaste kR^ito vidhiH || 5-24-22
mamaapi tu vachaH pathyaM bruvantyaaH kuru maithili |
22. maithili = O Seetha! paritushhTaa asmi = I am happy; maanushhaH vidhiH = human duty; kR^itaH = has been done; te = by you; bhadram = (let there be) fortune; te = to you; kuru = do (according to); mama = my; pathyam = wholesome; vachaH api = words also;bruvantyaaH = (which are) being told;
"O Seetha! I am happy. Human duty has been done by you. Let there be fortune to you. Do also according to my wholesome words being told."
raavaNaM bhja bhartaaraM bhartaaraM sarvarakShasaam || 5-24-23
vikraantaM ruupavantaM cha sureshamiva vaasavam |
dakShiNaM tyaagashiilaM cha sarvasya priyadarshanam || 5-24-24
23; 24. bhaja = obtain; bhartaaram = as husband; raavaNam = Ravana; bhartaaram = (who is) the lord; sarva rakshasaam = to all ogres; vikraantam = bold; ruupavantam cha = and handsome; vaasavamiva = like Indra; sureshham = the lord of Devas; dakshiNam = able one; tyaagashiilaM cha = and liberal; priyadarshanam = with a pleasing appearance; sarvasya = to all;
"Obtain as husband Ravana who is the lord of al l ogres, bold and handsome, like Indra the lord of Devas, able one and liberal with a pleasing appearance to all."
maanuShaM kR^ipaNaM raamaM tyaktvaa raavaNamaashraya |
divyaaN^garaagaa vaidehi divyaabharaNabhuuShitaa || 5-24-25
adyaprabhR^iti sarveShaaM lokanaamiishvarii bhava |
25. tyaktvaa = leaving; raamam = Rama; maanushham = a human; kR^ipaNam = miserable; aashraya = seek refuge; raavaNam = (in) Ravana; vaidehi = O Seetha!; divyaN^garaagaa = with best unguents to the body; divyaabharaNa bhuushhitaa = decorated with best ornaments; bhava = become; iishvarii = mistress; sarveshhaam lokaanaam = of all the worlds; adyaprabhR^iti = from today.
"Leaving Rama who is a human and miserable, seek refuge in Ravana. O Seetha! With best unguents to the body and decorated with best ornaments, become mistress of all the worlds from today."
agneH svaahaa yathaa devii shichii vendrasya shobhane || 5-24-26
kiM te raameNa vaidehi kR^ipaNena gataayiShaa |
26. shobhane = O auspicious one!; svahaa yathaa = like Svaha; devii = wife; agneH = of the Fire God; shachiiva = like Sachi; indrasya = (wife) of Indra (become mistress of all worlds; vaidehi = O Seetha!; kim = what (is the use); raameNa = with Rama; kR^paNena = who is miserable; gataayushhaa = and with gone vigour;
"O auspicious one! Like Svaha the wife of the Fire God, like Sachi the wife of Indra become mistress of all worlds. O Seetha! What is the use with Rama who is miserable and with gone vigour."
etaduktaM cha me vaakyaM yadi tvaM na kariShyapi || 5-24-27
asminmuhuurte sarvaastvaaM bhakShayiShyaamahe vayam |
27. tvam na karishhyasi = if you do not do; me etat uktam vaakyam = my this spoken word; vayam sarvaaH = all of us; asmin = in this; muhuurte = moment; bhakshayishhyaamahe = will eat; tvaam = you.
If you do not do my this spoken word, all of us in this moment will eat you.
anyaa tu vikaTaa naama labamaanapayodharaa || 5-24-28
abraviitkupitaa siitaaM muShTimudyamya garjatii |
28. anyya tu = another (ogre); vikaTaa naama = named Vikata; lambamaanapayodharaa = with hanging breasts; udyamaya = rasing; mushhTim = fist; garjatii = roaring; kupitaa = with anger; abraviit = spoke; siitaam = to Seetha.
Another ogre named Vikata with hanging breasts raising fist and roaring with anger spoke to Seetha.
bahUnypriyaruupaaNi vachanaani sudurmate || 5-24-29
anukroshaanmaR^idutvaachcha soDhaani tava maithili |
29. sudurmate maithilii = O Seetha with evil mind!; tava bahuuni vachanaani = your many words; apriyaruupaaNi = very unpleasant ones; sodhaani = have been tolerated; anukroshaat = due to pity; mR^idutvaachcha = and due to softness.
"O Seetha with an evil mind! Your many words which are unpleasant have been tolerated due to pity and due to softness."
na cha naH kuruShe vaakyaM hitaM kaalapuruskR^itam || 5-24-30
aniitaasi samudrasya paaramanyairduraasadam |
raavaNaantaHpuraM ghoraM praviShTaa chaasi maithili || 5-24-31
30; 31. maithili = O Seetha!; na kurushhe cha = you are not doing; naH = our; vaakyam = word; kaalapuraskR^itam = (which is) respected by time; hitam = (and) wholesome; aaniitaa asi = you have been brought; samudrasya paaram = (to this) bank of the ocean; duraasadam = not obtainable; anyaiH = by others; pravishhTaa asi = you have entered; ghoram = terrible; raavaNaanantaHpuram = gynaeceum of Ravana.
"O Seetha! You are not doing according to our word which is respected by time and wholesome. You have been brought to this bank of the ocean not obtainable by others. You have entered the terrible gynaeceum of Ravana."
raavaNasya gR^ihe ruddhaamasmaabhistu surakShitaam |
na tvaaM shaktaH paritraatumapi saakShaatpurandaraH || 5-24-32
32. ruddhaam = withheld; raavaNasya gR^ihe = in the house of Ravana; surakshitaam = well protected; asmaabhiH = by us; purandaraH api = even Devendra; saakshaat = himself; na shaktaH = is not capable; paritraatum = to protect; tvaam = you.
"Withheld in the house of Ravana well protected by us, even Devendra himself is not capable to protect you."
kuruShva hitavaadinyaa vachanaM mama maithili |
alamashruprapaatena tyaja shokamanrthakam || 5-24-33
33. maithili = O Seetha!; kurushhva = do; mama vachanam = (according to) my word; hitavaadinyaaH = (which is) beneficial; ashruprapaatena = discharge of tears;alam = is enough; tyaja = leave; anarthakam = worthless; shokam = gloom.
"O Seetha! Do according to my word, which is beneficial. Discharge of tears is enough. Leave worthless gloom."
bhaja priitiM cha harShaM cha tyajaitaaM nityadainyataam |
siite raakShasaraajena saha kriiDa yathaasukham || 5-24-34
34. siite = O Seetha!;bhaja = have; priitim cha = love; harshham cha = and happiness; tyaja = leave; etaam = this; nityadainyataam = daily gloom; kriiDa = sport; yathaa sukham = according to comfort; raakshasaraajena saha = with the king of ogres.
"O Seetha! Have love and happiness. Leave this daily gloom. Sport according to comfort with the king of ogres."
jaanaasi hi yathaa bhiiru striiNaaM yauvanamadhruvam |
yaavanna te vyatikraamettaavatsukhamavaapnuhi || 5-24-35
35. bhiiru = O timid one!; jaanaasi hi = you know; yathaa = how; yauvanam = youth; striiNaam = of women; adhruvam = is not lasting; yaavat = as long as; te = your (youth);na vyatikraamet = will not pass away; taavat = so long; avaapnuhi = get; sukham = comfort.
"O timid one! You know how youth of women is not lasting. As long as your youth will not pass away, so long get comfort."
udyaanaani ca ramyaaNi parvatopavanaani cha |
saha raakShasaraajena chara tvaM madirekShaNe || 5-24-36
36. madirekshaNe = O one with intoxicating eyes!; tvam = you; raakshasa raajena = along with king of ogres; chara = roam; ramyaaNi udyaanaani = beautiful groves; parvatopavanaani = mountains and nearby forests.
"O one with intoxicating eyes! You along with king of ogres roam beautiful groves, mountains and nearby forests.
striisahasraaNi te sapta vashe sthaasyanti sundari |
raavaNaM bhaja bhartaaraM bhrtaaraM sarvarakShasaam || 5-24-37
37. sundari = O beautiful one!; sapta = seven; strii sahasraaNi = thousand women; sthaasyanti = will be; te vashe = in your control; bhaja = have; bhartaaram = as husband; raavaNam = Ravana; bhartaaram = lord; sarvarakshsaam = of all ogres;
"O beautiful one! seven thousand women will be in your control. Have as husband Ravana the lord of all ogres."
utpaaTya vaa te hR^idayaM bhakShayiShyaami maithili |
yadi me vyaahR^itaM vaakyaM na yathaavatkariShyasi || 5-24-38
38. maithili = O Seetha!; na karishhyasi yadi = if you do not do; me vyaahR^itam vaakyam = (according to) my spoken word; yathhvat = as is; bhakshayishhyaami = I will eat; te hR^idayam = your heart; utpaaTya vaa = (indeed by) plucking it out.
"O Seetha! If you do not do according to my spoken word as is, I will eat your heart indeed by plucking it out."
tatashchaNDodarii naama raakShasii krodhamUrchhitaa |
bhraamayantii mahacchuulamidaM vacanambraviit || 5-24-39
39. tataH = thereafter; raakshasii = an ogre woman; chaNDodarii naama = named Chandodari; krodhamuurchhitaa = swooning with anger; bhraamayantii = turning around; mahat = a big; shuulam = spike; abraviit = spoke; idam = this; vachanam = word.
Thereafter an ogre woman named Chandodari swooning with anger, turning around a big spike spoke this word.
imaaM hariNalolaakShiiM traasotkampipayodharaaM |
raavaNena hR^itaaM dR^iShTvaa dauhR^ido me mahaanabhuut || 5-24-40
40. dR^ishhTvaa = seeing; imaam = this woman; hariNalolaakshiim = with eyes like that of a deer; traasotkampipayodharaam = with moving breasts due to fear; hR^itaam = abducted; raavaNena = by Ravana; abhuut = (there) occurred; me = to me; mahaan = a great; dauhR^idaH = desire.
"Seeing this woman with eyes like that of a deer, with moving breasts due to fear, abducted by Ravana, there occured to me a great desire."
yakR^itlpiihamathotpiiDaM hR^idayaM cha sabandhanam |
antraaNyapi tathaa shiirShaM khaadeyamiti me matiH || 5-24-41
41. me matiH = it is my mind ;khadeyam iti = to eat; yakR^it = the liver; pliiham = the spleen; utpiiDam = flesh above heart; hR^idayaM cha = and heart; sabandhanam = together with muscle; antraaNyapi cha = and entrails; tathaa = and; shiirshham = the head.
"It is my mind to eat the liver, the spleen, flesh above heart and heart together with muscle and entrails and the head."
tatastu praghasaa naama raakShasii vaakyamabraviit |
kaNThamasyaa nR^ishaMsaayaaH piiDayaama kimaasyate || 5-24-42
42. raakshasii = ogre woman; praghasaa naama = named Pragasa; abraviit = spoke; vaakyam = (these) words; pIDayaama = squeeze; kaNTham = the neck; asyaaH = of this; nR^ishaMsaayaaH = cruel woman; kim = why; aasyate = do we delay?
An ogre woman named Pragasa spoke these words : "Squeeze the neck of this cruel woman. Why do we delay?"
nivedyataaM tato raajJNe maanuShii saa mR^iteti ha |
naatra kashchana saMdehaH khaadateti sa vakShyati || 5-24-43
43. tataH = thereafter; nivedyataam = let it be known; raajJNe = to the king (that) ;saa = that; maanushhii = human woman; mR^iteti = has died; saH = he; vakshyati = will say; iti = thus;khaadata = eat; na sandehaH = there is no doubt; atra = in this matter.
"Thereafter let it be known to the king that that human woman has died. He will say thus : "Eat.". There is no doubt in this matter."
tatastvajaamukhii naama raakShasii vaakyamabraviit |
vishasyemaaM tataH sarvaaH samaan kuruta piilukaan || 5-24-44
44. tataH = thereafter; raakshasii = an ogre woman; ajaamukhii naama = named Ajamukhi; abraviit = spoke; vaakyam = (these) words; sarvaaH = all of you; vishasya = killing; imaam = this woman; tataH = thereafter; kuruta = do; samaan = equal; piilukaan = pieces.
Thereafter an ogre woman named Ajamukhi spoke these words : "All of you killing this woman thereafter do equal pieces."
vibhajaama tataH sarvaa vivaado me na rochate |
peyamaaniiyataaM kShipraM lehyamuchchaavachaM bahu || 5-24-45
tataH = thereafter; sarvaaH = all of us; vibhajaama = will divide; vivaadaH = quarrel; na rochate = is not desirable; me = to me; peyam = liquor; uchchaavacham = many kinds; bahu = a lot of; lehyam = lickables; aniiyataam = be brought; kshipram = quickly.
"Thereafter all of us will divide. Quarrel is not desirable to me. Liquor, many kinds and a lot of lickables be brought quickly."
tataH shuurpaNakhaa naama raakShasii vaakyamabraviit |
ajaamukhyaa yaduktaM hi tadeva mama rochate || 5-24-46
46. tataH = thereafter; raakshasii = an ogre woman; shuurpaNakhaa naama = named Surpanakha; abraviit = spoke; vaakyam = (these) words; yat = that; uktaam = (which was) spoken; ajaamukhyaa = by Ajamukhi; tadeva = that; rochate = is desirable; mama = to me.
Thereafter an ogre woman named Surpanakha spoke these words: "That which was spoken by Ajamukhi, is desirable to me."
suraa chaaniiyataaM kShipraM sarvashokavinaashinii |
maanuShaM maaM samaasvaadya nR^ityaamotha nikumbhilaam || 5-24-47
47. suraa cha = liquor; sarvashokavinaashinii = (which is the) destroyer of all sorrow; aniiyataam = be brought; kshipram = quickly;aasvaadya = eating; maanushham maaMsam = human flesh; atha = afterwards; nR^ityaamaH = we will dance; nikumbhilaam = for (propitiating) Nikumbhila;
"Liquor which is the destroyer of all sorrow be brought quickly. Eating human flesh afterwards, we will dance for propitiating Nikumbila."
evaM saMbhartsyamaanaa saa siitaa surasutopamaa |
raakShasiibhiH sughoraabhirdhairyamutsR^ijya roditi || 5-24-48
48. evam = thus; saMbhartsyamaanaa = being frightened; sughoraabhiH = by horrible; raakshasiibhiH = ogres; saa siitaa = that Seetha; surasutopamaa = equalling a daughter of gods; utsR^ijya = abandoning; dhairyam = fortitude; rodati = is crying.
Thus being frightened by horrible ogres, that Seetha equalling a daughter of gods, abandoning fortitude, was crying.
- - -
ityaarShe shriimadraamaayaNe aadikaavye sundarakaaNDe chaturviMshaH sargaH
|Top of Page||1||2||3||4|
© June 2005, Kishore Kopalle