This chapter describes the ogre women speaking to Seetha about her marrying Ravana.
ityuktvā maithilīṃ rājā rāvaṇaḥ śatrurāvaṇaḥ |
saṃdiśya ca tataḥ sarvā rākṣasīrnirjagāma ha || 5-23-1
1. raajaa = the king; raavaNaH = Ravana; shatruraavaNaH = who makes enemies to cry; iti uktvaa = thus speaking; maithiliim = to Seetha; tataH = thereafter; saMdishya = also ordering; sarvaaH = all; raakshasiiH = ogre women; nirjagaama = went away.
The king Ravana who makes enemies to cry thus speaking to Seetha thereafter also ordering all ogre women went away.
niṣkrante rākṣasendra tu punarantaḥpuraṃ gate |
rākṣasyo bhīmarūpāstāḥ sītāṃ samabhidudruvuḥ || 5-23-2
2. raakshasendre = Ravana; nishhkraante = leaving; gate = obtaining; punaH = again; antaHpuram = gynaeceum; taaH raakshasyaH = those ogres; bhiimaruupaaH = with horrible appearances; samabhidudruvuH = went running; siitaam = to Seetha.
After Ravana left and obtained gynaeceum, those ogres with horrible appearances went running to Seetha.
tataḥ sītāmupāgamya rākṣasyaḥ krodhamūrcitāḥ |
paraṃ puruṣayā vācā vaidehīmidamabravan || 5-23-3
3. tataH = thereafter; upaagamya = reaching; siitaam = Seetha; raakshasyaH = ogre women; krodhamuurchitaaH = swooned with anger; vaachaa = (with a) speech; param = (which was) very; parushhayaa = harsh; abruvan = spoke; idam = this (word); vaidehiim = to Seetha.
Thereafter reaching Seetha ogre women swooned with anger and with a very harsh speech spoke these words to Seetha.
paulastyasya variṣṭhasya rāvaṇasya mahātmanaḥ |
daśagrīvasya bhāryātvaṃ sīte na bahumanyase || 5-23-4
4. siite = O Seetha!; na bahumanyase = you are not respecting; bhaaryaatvam = becoming wife; raavaNAsya = of Ravana; paulastasya = born in the family of Paulastya; varidhhThasya = best among men; mahaatmanaH = a great soul; dashagrrivasya = with ten heads;
"O Seetha! You are not respscting becoming wife of Ravana born in the family of Paulastya, best among men, a great soul with ten heads."
tatasvaekajaṭā nāma rākṣasī vākyamabravīt |
amantyra krodhatāmrākṣī sītāṃ karatalodarīm || 5-23-5
5. tataH = Thereafter; raakshasii = an ogre woman; ekajaTaa naama = named Ekajata; krodhataamraakshii = with red eyes due to anger; aamantrya = calling; siitaam = Seetha; karatalodariim = with stomach that can be held by a palm of the hand; abraviit = spoke; vaakyam = (these) words.
Thereafter an ogre woman named Ekajata with red eyes sue to anger calling Seetha with stomach that can be held by palm of the hand, spoke these words.
prajāpatīnām ṣaṇṇaṃ tu caturtho yaḥ prajāpatiḥ |
mānaso brahmaṇaḥ putraḥ pulastya iti viśrutaḥ || 5-23-6
6. aNNaam prajaapatiinaam = among the six Prajapathis; yaH = whichever; putraH = son;chaturthaH prajapatiH = the fourth Prajapati; maanasaH = born by the thought; brahmaNaH = of Lord Brahma; vishrutaH = (he is) famous; pulastyaH iti = as Pulastya.
"Among th six Prajapatis, whichever son, the fourth Prajapati, born by the thought of Lord Brahma ,he is famous as Paulastya."
pulastyasya tu tejasvī mahārṣirmānasaḥ sutaḥ |
nāmnā sa viśravā nāma prajāpatisamaprabhaḥ || 5-23-7
7. naamnaa = By the name; vishravaa naama = famous as Visrava; prajaapati samaprabhaH = with a radiance equalling that of Lord Brahma; saH tejasvii maharshhiH = that glorious sage; sutaH = is the son; maanasaH = (born) from the thought; pulastasya = of Pulastya.
By the name, famous as Visrava, with a radiance equalling that of Lord Brahmathat glorious sage is the son born from the thought of Pulastya.
tasya putro viśālākṣi rāvaṇaḥ śatrurāvaṇaḥ |
tasya tvaṃ rākṣasendrasya bhāryā bhavitumarhasi || 5-23-8
mayoktaṃ cārusarvāṅgi vākyam kiṃ nāmamanyase |
8. vishaakshii = O wide eyed one!; raavaNaH = Ravana; shatruraavaNaH = who makes enemies to cry; tasya = is his (Visrava's); putraH = son; tvam = you; arhasi = are suited; bhavitum = to become; tasya = Ravana's; bhaaryaa = wife; chaarusarvaaNgii = O one with all beautiful limbs!; kim = why; naanumanyase = will you not agree; vaakyam = words; uktam = spoken; mayaa = by me.
"O wide eyed one! Ravana who makes enemies to cry, is Visrava's son. You are suited to become Ravana's wife. O one with all beautiful limbs! Why will you not agree words spoken by me."
tato harijaṭā nāma rākṣasī vākyamabravīt || 5-23-9
vivartya nayane kopānmārjārasadṛśekṣaṇā |
9. tataH = Thereafter;raakshasii = an ogre woman; harijaTaa naama = named Harijata; maarjaarasadR^ishekshaNaa = with eyes like those of a cat; vivartya = turned around; nayane = eyes; kopaat = due to anger; abraviit = (and) spoke; vaakyam = (these) words.
Thereafter an ogre woman named Harijata with eyes like those of a cat turned around eyes due to anger and spoke these words.
yena devāstrāyastriṃśaddevarājaśca nirjatāḥ || 5-23-10
tasya tvaṃ rākṣasendrasya bhāryā bhavitumarhasi |
10. yena = by whom; trastriMshat = thirty three; devaaH = Devas; devaraajashcha = and the king of Devas; nirjitaaH = have been conquered; tvam = you; arhasi = are suited; bhavitum = to become; bhaaryaa = the wife; tasya raakshasendrasya = of that lord of ogres.
"By whom thirty three Devas and the king of Devas have been conquered, you are suited to become the wife of that lord of ogres.
tatastu praghasā nāma rākṣasī krodhamūrchitā || 5-23-11
bhartsayanī tadā ghoramidaṃ vacanamabravīt |
11. tataH = Thereafter; raakshasii = an ogre woman; praghasaa naama = named Praghasa; krodhamuurchhitaa = swooning with anger; tadaa = then; bhartsayantii = frightening (Seetha) ; abraviit = spoke; idam = this; ghoram = horrible (word).
Thereafter an ogre named Praghasa swooning with anger and then frightening Seetha, spoke this horrible word.
vīryotsiktasya śūrasya samgrāme na nivartinaḥ || 5-23-12
balino vīryayuktasya bhāryātvam kiṃ na lapsyase |
12. kim = why; na lapsyase = (you) will not get; bharyaatvam = wife-hood (of Ravana); viiryotsiktasya = (who is) proud of his might; shuurasya = valiant; anivartinaH = who will not turn back; saMgraameshhu = in wars; balinaH = strong; viiryayuktasya = together with valour.
"Why will you not get wifehood of Ravana who is proud of his might, valiant, who will not turn back in wars, who is strong together with valour."
priyāṃ bahumatāṃ bhāryāṃ tyaktvā rājā mahābalaḥ || 5-23-13
sarvāsāṃ ca mahābhāgāṃ tvāmupaiṣyati rāvaṇaḥ |
13. raavaNaH = Ravana; mahaabalaH = with great might; tyaktvaa = leaving;priyaam = dear; bahumataam = respectable; bhaaryaam = wife; sarvaasaam = who among all wives; mahaabhaagaam = is most fortunate; upaishhyati = can obtain; tvaam = you.
"The mighty Ravana can leave dear respectable wife who among all wives is most fortunate and can obtain you."
samṛddham strīsahasreṇa nānāratnopaśobhitam || 5-23-14
antaḥpuraṃ samutsṛjya tvāmupaiṣyati rāvaṇaḥ |
14. raavaNaH = Ravana; samutsR^ijya = leaving; antaHpuram = gynaeceum; samR^iddham = filled; strii sahasreNa = with thousand women; naanaa ratnopashobhitam = shone by various best things; upaishhyati = can obtain; tvaam = you.
"Ravana leaving gynaeceum filled with thousand women and shone by various best things can obtain you.
anyā tu vikaṭā nāma rākṣasī vākyamabravīt || 5-23-15
asakṛddevatā yuddhe nāgagandharvadānavāḥ |
nirjitāḥ samare yena sate pārśvamupāgataḥ || 5-23-16
15; 16. anyaa = another; raakshasii tu = ogre woman; vikaTaa naama = named Vikata; abraviit = spoke; vaakyam = (these) words; yena = by whom; asakR^it = a number of times; yuddhe = in war; devataaH = Devas; samare = in war; naagagandharvadaanavaaH = Nagas; Gandharvas and Danavas; nirjiaaH = have been conquered; saH = that Ravana; aagataH = has come; te paarsvam = to your side.
Another ogre woman named Vikata spoke these words: "By whom a number of times in war Devas, in war Nagas, Gandharvas and Danavas have been conquered that Ravana has come to your side."
tasya sarvasamṛddhasya rāvaṇasya mahātmanaḥ |
kimadya rākṣasendrasya bhāryātvaṃ neccha.adhame || 5-23-17
17. adhame = O vile one; kim = why; adya = now; nechchhase = are you not desring; bhaaryaatvam = wifehood; tasya raavaNasya = of such Ravana; sarvasamR^iddhasya = fulfilled in all respects; mahaatmanaH = great soul; raakshasendrasya = lord of ogres.
"O vile one! Why are you not desiring wifehood of such Ravana, fulfilled in all respects, who is a great soul and lord of ogres.
tatastu durmukhī nāma rākṣasī vākyamabravīt |
yasya sūryo na tapati bhīto yasya ca mārutaḥ || 5-23-18
na vāti smāyatāpāṅge kiṃ tvaṃ tasya na tiṣṭhasi |
18. tataH = Thereafter; raakshasii = an ogre woman; durmukhii naama = named Durmuukhi; abraviit = spoke; vaakyam = (these) words; aayataa paaN^ge = O one with long cornered eyes! bhiitaH = fearing; yasya = whom; suuryaH = sun; na tapati = will not consume by heat; bhiitaH = fearing; yasya = whom; maarutaH = wind; na vaati sma = will not blow; tasya = to that one; kim = why; tvam = are you; na tiShThasi = not favourable.
Thereafter an ogre woman named Durmukhi spoke these words: " O one with long eyes! Fearing whom the sun will not comsume by heat, fearing whom the win will not blow, to that one why are you not favourable."
puṣṭavṛṣṭaṃ ca taravo mumucuryasya vai bhayāt || 5-23-19
śailāśca subhru pānīyam jaladāśca yadecchati |
tasya nairṛtarājasya rājarājasya bhāmini || 5-23-20
kiṃ tvaṃ na kuruṣe buddhiṃ bhāryārthe rāvaṇasya hi |
19; 20. subhru = O one with good eyebrows!; bhaminii = O Seetha!; bhayaat = by the fear; yasya = of whom; taravaH = trees; mumuchuH = shed; pushhpavR^ishhTim = a shower of flowers; yadaa ichchhati = whenever desired; shailaashcha = mountains; jaladaashcha = and clouds; paniiyam = (will shed) water;kim = why; tvam = you; na kurushhe = are not making; buddhim = mind; baaryaardhe = to be the wife; tasya raavaNasya = of such Ravana; nairR^ita raajasya = king of ogres; raajaraajasya = (and) king of kings;
"O one with good eyebrows! O Seetha! By the fear of whom trees shed a shower of flowers, whenever Ravana desired mountains and clouds will shed water, why you are not making mind to be the wife of such Ravana, who is the king of ogres and king of kings."
sādhu te tattvato devi kathitaṃ sādhu bhāmini || 5-23-21
gṛhāṇa susmite vākyamanyathā na bhaviṣyasi |
21. susmite bhaaminii = O Seetha with good smile; devii = O princess! gR^ihaaNa = understand; saadhu vaakyam = kind words; te kathitam = spoken to you; saadhu = well; tattvataH = truly.
"O Seetha with a good smile! O princess! Understand kind words spoken to you well and truly."
- - -
ityārṣe śrīmadrāmāyaṇe ādikāvye sundarakāṇḍe trayoviṃśaḥ sargaḥ
|Top of Page||1||2||3||4|
© May 2005, Kishore Kopalle
Global View of
Fastest FTPS anywhere, FREE Go FTP Software