Ravana gives Seetha two months to marry hm. He orders ogres to frighten Seetha and bring Her to his control. Ravana then goes back to his own house with his consorts.
siitaaya vachanaM shrutvaa paruShaM raakshaseshvaraH |
pratyuvaacha tataH siitaaM vipriyaM priyadarshanam || 5-22-1
1. raakshasesvaraH = King of ogres; shrutvaa = listening; sitaayaaH vachanam = to Seetha's words; parushham = which were harsh; tataH = thereafter; siitaam pratyuvaacha = replied to Seetha; vipriyam = unpleasant (words); priyadarshanam = which are seen to be pleasant.
Ravana listening to Seetha's words which were harsh thereafter replied to Seetha unpleasant words which are seen to be pleasant.
yathaa yathaa saantvayitaa vashyaH striiNaaM tathaa tathaa |
yathaa yathaa priyam vaktaa pariBhuutastathaa tahaa || 5-22-2
2. yathaa yathaa = in whatever way; saantvayitaa = gentle language (is used); striiNaam = to women; tathaa tathaa = in that way; vashyaH = (they) will be under control; yathaa yathaa = in whatever way; vaktaa = (men) speak; priyam = dear words; tathaa tathaa = in that way; paribhuutaH = they will be rejected.
"In whatever way gentle language is used to women in that way they will be under control. In whatever way men speak dear words, in that way they will be rejected."
saMniyachchati me krodhaM tvayi kaamaH samutthitaH |
dravato.amaargamaasaadya hayaaniva susaarathiH || 5-22-3
3. tvayi = in your matter; kaamaH = desire;samutthitaH = which has risen up; saMniyachchhati = is subdueing; krodham = anger;hayaniva = like horses; dravataH = running;amaargam aasaadya = obtaining a bad path; susaarathiH = (being subdued by) a good charioteer.
"In your matter desire which has risen up is subdueing my anger like horses running obtaining a bad path being subdued by a good charioteer."
vaamaH kaamo manuShyaaNaam yasmin kila nibadhyate |
jane tasmiMstvanukroshaH snehashcha kila jaayate || 5-22-4
4. kaamaH = deisre; manushhyaaNaam = of men; vaamaH = is unfavourable; yasmin = in which; jane = man;nibadhyate = (desire) is tied up; tasmin = in that man; jaayate kila = there is; anukroshaH = compassion;snehashcha = and fondness.
"Desire of men is unfavourable. In which man desire is tied up, in that man there is compassion and fondness."
etasmaatkaaraNaanna tvaaM ghaatayaami varaanane |
vadhaarhamavamaanaarhaaM mithyaapravrajite rataam || 5-22-5
5. varaanane = O one with a beautiful face!; etasmaat = for this reason; tvaam = (although) you (are); vadhaarhaam = suitable to be killed; avamaanaarhaam = (and) suitable to be humiliated; rataam = interested; mithyaapravrajite = ( in Rama who is in) sham exile; na ghaatayaami = I am not killing you.
"O one with a beautiful face! For this reason although you are suitable to be killed and suitable to be humilaited, interested in Rama who is in sham exile, I am not killing you."
paruShaaNiiha vaakyaani yaani yaani braviiShi maam |
teShu teShu vadho yuktastava maithili daaruNaH || 5-22-6
6. maithilii = O Seetha!; iha = here; yaani yaani = whatever; parushhaNi = harsh; vaakyaani = words; braviishhi = you are speaking; maam = about me; teshhu teshhu = (because of) those (words); tava daaruNaH vadha = your horrible slaying; yuktaH = is suitable;
"O Seetha! Here whatever harsh words you are speaking about me, because of those words, you are suitable to be horribly slayed."
ekamuktvaa tu viadeshiiM raavaNo raakshasaadhipaH |
krodhasaMrambhasamyuktaH siitaamuttaramabraviit || 5-22-7
7. raakshasaadhipaH = king of ogres; raavanaH = Ravana; evam uktvaa = speaking thus; vaidehiim = to Seetha; krodhasaMrambhasaMyuktaH = full of anger and fury; abraviit = spoke; uttaram = subsequent word; siitaam = to Seetha.
The king of ogres Ravana speaking thus to Seetha, full of anger and fury spoke subsequent word to Seetha.
dvau maasau rakShitavyau me yo.avadhiste mayaa kR^itaH |
tataH shayanamaaroha mama tvaM varavarNini || 5-22-8
8. varavarNini = O Seetha with best complexion!; yaH = whatever; avadhiH = limit; kR^ita = has been made; mayaa = by me; te = to you; dvau = (those) two; maasau = months; rakshitavyau = are protectable; me = to me; tataH = thereafter; aaroha = ascend; mama shayanam = my bed.
"O Seetha with best complexion! Whatever limit has been made by me to you, those two months are protectable to me. Thereafter ascend my bed."
uurdhvaM dvaabhyaaM tu maasaabhyaaM bhartaaram maamanichchatiim |
mama tvaaM praataraashaarthamaalabhante mahaanase || 5-22-9
9. uurdhvam = above; dvaabhyaam maasaabhyaaM = two months; tvaam = you; anichchhatiim = not desiring; mama = me; bhartaaram = as husband; aalabhante = will be killed; mahaanase = in my kitchen; mama praataraashaartham = for my breakfast.
"Above two months you not desiring me as husband will be killed in my kitched for my breakfast."
taaM tarjyamaanaaM samprekShya raakShasendreNa jaanakiim |
devagandharvakanyaastaa viShedurvikR^itekShaNaaH || 5-22-10
10. saMprekshya = Seeing; jaanakiim = Seetha; tarjyamaanaam = being frightened; raakshasendreNa = by Ravana; taaH = those; devagandharva kanyaa = Deva and Gandharva maidens; vishheduH = grieved; vikR^itekshaNaaH = with troubled eyes.
Seeing Seetha being frightened by Ravana those Deva and Gandharva maidens grieved with troubled eyes.
auShThaprakaarairaparaa vaktranetraistathaaparaaH |
siitaamaashvaasayaamaasustarjitaaM tena rakShasaa || 5-22-11
11. taparaaH = some;oshhThaprakaraiH = in the way of lips; tathaa = and in the like manner; aparaaH = some (others); vaktranetraiH = with faces and eyes; aashvaasayaamaasuH = consoled;taam siitaam = that Seetha; tarjitaam = frightened; tena rakshsaa = by that ogre;
Some in the way of lips and in like manner some others with faces and eyes consoled that Seetha frightened by that ogre.
taabhiraashvaasitaa siitaa raavaNam raakShasaadhipam |
uvaachaatmahitaM vaakyaM vR^ittashauNDiiryagarvitam || 5-22-12
12. aashvaasitaa = consoled; taabhiH = by them; siitaa = Seetha; vR^itta shaunDiirya garvitam = proud of virtuous conduct; uvaacha = spoke; vaakyam = words; aatmahitam = beneficial to self;raakshsaadhipam raavaNam = to the king of ogres Ravana.
Consoled by them Seetha proud of virtuous conduct spoke words beneficial to self to the king of ogres Ravana.
nuunam na te janaH kashchidasti niHshreyase sthitaH |
nivaarayati yo na tvaaM karmaNo.asmaadvigarhitaat || 5-22-13
13. yaH = Whoever; nivaarayati = prevents; tvaam = you; asmaat karmaNaH = from these actions; nigarhitaat = (which are) blameable; janaH = (such) a person; rataH = interested; te niHshreyase = in your welfare; kashchit naasti = there is none. nuunam = this is definite.
"Whoever prevents you from these actions which are blameable, such a person interested in your welfare there is none. This is definite."
maaM hi dharmaatmanaH patniiM shachiimiva shachiipateH |
tvadanyastriShu lokeShu praarthayenmanasaapi kaH || 5-22-14
14. trishhu lokeshhu = in all the three worlds; tvadanyaH = except you; kaH = who; manasaapi = even by heart; praarthayet = will desire;maam = me; patniim = (who am the) wife; dharmaatmanaH = of virtuous Rama;shachiimiva = like Sachi; shachiipateH = the wife of Indra.
"In all the three worlds except you who even by heart will desire me who am the wife of virtuous Rama like Sachi the wife of Indra."
raakShasaadhama raamasya bhaaryaamamitatejasaH |
uktavaanasi yatpaapaM kva gatastasya mokShyase || 5-22-15
15. raakshasaadhama = O vile ogre!;yat paapam = whatever sinful word; uktavaan asi = you spoke; bharyaam = to me who is the wife; amitatejasaH raamasya = of the great respendent Rama; tasya = from that word; kva = where; gataH = will you go; mokshyase = to be released?
"O vile ogre! Whatever sinful word you spoke to me who is the wife of the great resplendent Rama, from that word where will you go to be released?"
yathaa dR^iptashcha maataN^gaH shashashcha sahitau vane |
tathaa dviradavadraamastvaM niicha shashavat smR^itaH || 5-22-16
16. yathaa = like;dR^iptaH maataJNgaashcha = an elephant in rut; shashashcha = and a hare;sahitau = at war; vane = in the forest;tathaa = in the same way; niicha = O vile one! raamaH = Rama; dviradavat = is like an elephant; tvam = you; smR^itaH = are said; shshavat = to be like a hare.
"Like an elephant in rut and a hare at war in the forest, in the same way O vile one! Rama is like an elephant and you are said to be like a hare."
sa tvamikShvaakunaatham vai kShipanniha na lajjase |
chakShuShorviShayam tasya na taavadupagachchhasi || 5-22-17
17. saH = such; tvam = you; na lajjase = are not shameful; kshipan = abusing; ikshvaakunaatham = the lord of Ikshvaku dynasty Rama; na upagachchhasi = you are not getting; tasya = Rama's; vishayam taavat = matter so much.
"Such you are not shameful abusing the lord of Ikshvaku dynasty Rama. You are not getting Rama's matter so much."
ive te nayane kruute viruupe kR^iShNapiN^gale |
kShitau na patite kasmaanmaamanaarya niriikShataH || 5-22-18
18. anaarya = O ignoble one!; te = your; ime nayane = these eyes; kruure = (which are) cruel; viruupe = crooked; kR^ishhNa piJNgaLe = which are black and reddish brown; maam niriikshitaH = which are seeing me; kasmaat = for what reason; na patite = are (they) not falling down.
"O ignoble one! your these eyes which are cruel, crooked, which are black and reddish brown, which are seeing me, for what reason are they not falling down."
tasya dharmaatmanaH patniiM snuShaaM dasharathasya cha |
kathaM vyaaharato maaM te na jihvaa vyavashiiryate || 5-22-19
19. vyaaharataH = thus speaking; maam = a bout me;patniim = (who am) the wife; dharmaatmanaH tasya = of virtuous Rama; snushhaam cha = and the daughter-in-law; dasharathasya = of Dasaratha; katham = how; te jihvaa = your tongue;vyavashiiryate = did not fall off.
"Thus speaking about me who am the wife of virtuous Rama and the daughter-in-law of Dasaratha how your tongue did not fall off."
asaMdeshaattu raamasya tapasashchaamapaalanaat |
na tvaaM kurmi dashagriiva bhasma bharmaarha tejasaa || 5-22-20
20. dashagriiva = O Ravana!; bhasmaarha = (although you are) suited to be burnt into ashes; asaMdeshaat = not having mandate; raamasya = of Rama; anupaalanaat = (and) preserving; tapasaH = austerity; na kurmi = I am not making; tvaam bhasmam = you into ashes; tejasaa = (with my) glory.
"O Ravana! Although you are suited to be burnt into ashes, not having the mandate of Rama and preserving austerity, I am not reducing you into ashes with my glory."
naapahartumahaM shakyaa tvayaa raamasya dhiimataH |
vidhistava vadhaarthaaya vihito naatra saMshayaH || 5-22-21
21. dhiimataH = wise; raamasya = Rama's; aham = I; na shakyaa = am not capable of being; apahartum = abducted; tvayaa = by you; vidhiH = (this) act; vihitaH = has been made; tava = for your; vadhaarthaaya = slaying; atra = in this; na saMshayaH = there is no doubt.
"Wise Rama's I am not capable of being abducted by you. This act has been made for your slaying. In this there is no doubt."
shuureNa dhanadabhraatraa balaiH samuditena cha |
apihya raamaM kasmaaddhi daarachauryaM tvayaa kR^itam || 5-22-22
22. tvayaa = by you; shuureNa = (who is) strong; dhanadabhraatraa = brother of Kubera; samuditena cha = possessed of; balaiH = army; apohya = removing; raamam = Rama; kasmaat = for what reason; daarachauryam = abduction of wife; kR^itam = has been done.
"By you who is strong, brother of Kubera possessed of army, removing Rama for what reason abduction of wife has been done."
siitaayaa vachanaM shrutvaa raavaNo raakShasaadhipaH |
vinR^itya nayane kruure jaanakiimanvavaikShata || 5-22-23
23. raakshasaadhipaH = king of rakshasas; raavanaH = Ravana; shrutvaa = listening; siitaayaaH vachanam = to Seetha's words; vivR^itya = turned around; kruure = (his) cruel; nayane = eyes; anvavaikshata = and saw; jaanakiim = Seetha.
King of rakshasas Ravana listening to Seetha's words turned around his cruel eyes and saw Seetha.
niilajiimuutasamkaasho mahaabhujashirodharaH |
siMhasattvagatiH shriimaan diipta jihvagralochanaH || 5-22-24
24. niilajiimuuta saMkaasho = (Ravana was) equal to a black cloud; mahaabhujashirodharaH = with big shoulders and neck; siMhasattvagatiH = with the strength and gait of a lion; shriimaan = glorious; diipta jihvaagra lochanaH = with radiant tip of tongue and eyes.
Ravana was qual to a black cloud, with big shoulders and neck with the strength and gait of a lion, glorious with radiant tip of tongue and eyes.
raktamaalyaambaradharastaptaaN^gadavibhuuShaNaH || 5-22-25
25. chalaagramakutapraaMshuH = (He was) tall with moving front portion of crown; chitramaalyaanulepananaH = with excellent garlands and anointments; raktamaalyaambara dharaH = wearing red garlands and clothes; taptaaN^gada vibhuushhanaH = with ornaments made of refined gold;
He was tall with moving front portion of crown, with excellent garlands and anointments, wearing red garlands and clothes, with ornaments made of refined gold.
shroNisuutreNa mahataa mechakena susamvR^itaH |
amR^itotpaadanaddhena bhujageneva mandaraH || 5-22-26
26. mandaraH iva = Like Mount Mandara; bhujagena = by Vasuki; amR^itotpaadaneddhena = tied for producing nectar;susaMvR^itaH = (Ravana was) well tied; mahataa mechakena shroNi suutreNa = by a black big thread
Like Mount Mandara tied by Vasuki for producing nectar, Ravana was well tied by a black big thread.
taabhyaaM sa paripuurNaabhyaaM bhujaabhyaaM raakShaseshvaraH |
shushubhe.achalasaMkaashaH shR^iN^gaabhyaamiva mandaraH || 5-22-27
27. achala saMkaashaH = Equalling a mountain; raakshasesvaraH = the king of ogres; shushubhe = shone; taabhyaam paripuurNaabhyaam bhujaabhyaam = (with) those perfect shoulders; mandaraH i va = like Mount Mandara; shR^iN^gaabhyaam = with its peaks.
Equalling a mountain the king of ogres shone with those perfect shoulders like Mount Mandara with its peaks.
taruNaadityavarNaabhyaaM kuNDalaabhyaaM vibhuuShitaH |
raktapallavapuShpaabhyaamashokaabhyaamivaachalaH || 5-22-28
28. taruNaaditya varNaabhyaam = With the color of just risen sun; vibhuushhitaH = decorated; kuNDalaabhyaam = by earrings; achalaH iva = (he) was like a mountain;ashokaabhyaam = with Ashoka trees; raktapallava pushhpaabhyaam = (with) red flowers and shoots.
With the color of just risen sun, decorated by earrings, he was like a mountain with Ashoka trees with red flowers and shoots.
sa kalpavR^ikShapratimo vasanta iva muurtimaan |
shmashaanachaityapratimo bhuuShito.api bhayamkaraH || 5-22-29
29. kalpavR^iksha pratima = Equalling a Kalpavriksha; saH = he; vasantaH muurtimaan iva = was like the embodiment of spring; shmashaana chaitya pratimaH = like a funeral mound in a grave-yard; bhayankaraH = was horrible; bhuushhito api = even though decorated.
Equalling a Kalpavriksha he was like the embodiment of spring season. Like a funeral mound in a grave-yard was horrible even though decorated.
avekShamaaNo vaidehiiM kopasamraktalochanaH |
uvaacha raavaNaH siitaaM bhujaN^ga iva niHshvasan || 5-22-30
30. kopasaMraktalochanaH = With red eyes due to anger; raavanaH = Ravana; avekshamaaNaH = was looking; vaidehiim = (at) Seetha; niHshvasan = sighing; bhujaN^gaH iva = like a serpant; uvaacha = spoke; siitaam = to Seetha.
With red eyes due to anger Ravana was looking at Seetha sighing like a serpant and spoke to Seetha.
naashayaamyahamadya tvaaM suuryaH sandhyaamivaujasaa || 5-22-31
31. anuvrate = O follower of Rama!;abhisampannam = possessed; anayena = with bad conduct; arthahiinam = without wealth; adya = now; aham = I; naashayaami = will destroy; tvaam = you; suuryaH iva = like the sun; sandhyyaa = (destroying) morning twilight; ojasaa = with light.
O foloower of Rama posessing bad conduct, without wealth! Now I will destroy you like sun destroying morning twilight with light.
ityuktvaa maithiliim raajaa raavaNaH shatruraavaNaH |
sa.ndidesha tataH sarvaa raakShasiirgoradarshanaaH || 5-22-32
32. raajaa = the king; raavaNa = Ravana; shatruraavanaH = who causes enemies to cry; iti uktvaa = thus speaking; maithiliim = to Seetha; tataH = thereafter; sandidesha = ordered; sarvaaH = all; raakshasiiH = ogre women; ghoradarshanaaH = with horrible appearances.
The king Ravana who causes enemies to cry thus speaking to Seetha, thereafter ordered all ogre women with horrible appearances.
ekaakShiimekakarNaaM cha karNapraavaraNaaM tathaa |
gokarNiiM hastikarNiim cha lambakarNiimakarNikaam || 5-22-33
hastipaadyashvapaadyau cha gopaadiiM paadachuuLikaam |
ekaakShiimekapaadiiM cha pR^ithupaadiimapaadikaam || 5-22-34
atimaatraasyanetraam cha diirghajihvamajihvikaam || 5-22-35
anaasikaaM simhamukhiiM gomukhiim suukariimukhiim |
33; 34; 35. ekaakshiim = (Ravana ordered) one with a singe eye; ekakarNaam cha = one with a single ear; tataa = and; karNapraavaraNaam = one with ears as covering; gokarNiim = one with cow's ears; hastikarNiim cha = one with ears of an elephant; lambakarNiim = one with dangling ears; akarNikaam = one without ears; hastipaadyashvapaadyau cha = and one with the feet of an elephant and one with feet of a horse; gopaadiim = one with feet of a cow; paadachuulikaam = one with hair over the feet; ekaakshiim = one with a single eye; ekapaadiim cha = and one with a single foot; pR^ithupaadiim = one with big feet; apaadikaam = one wthout feet; atimaatrashirogriivaam = one with a big head and neck; atimaatrakuchodariim = one with big breats and stomach; atimaatraasya netraam cha = and one with big mouth and eyes; diirghajihvaam = one with long tongue; ajihvikaam = one without tongue; anaasikaam = one without nose; siMhamukhiim = one with the face of a lion; gomukhiim = one with the face of a cow; suukaramukhiim = one with the face of a pig.
Ravana ordered one with a single eye, one with a single ear and one with ears as covering, one with cow's wars, one with ears of an elephant, one with dangling ears, one without ears and one with the feet of an elephant and one with the feet of a horse, one with feet of a cow,one with hair over feet, one with a single eye and one with a single foot, one with big feet, one without feet, one with a big head and neck,one with big breasts and stomach, and one with big mouth and eyes, one with a long tongue, one without tongue, one without nose, one with the face of a lion, one with the face of a cow,one with the face of a pig.
yathaa madvashagaa siitaa kShpraM bhavati jaanakii || 5-22-36
tathaa kuruta raakShasyaH sarvaaH kShipraM sametya cha |
36. raakshasyaH = O ogres! yathaa = how; jaanakii = the daughter of Janaka; siitaa = Seetha; madvashagaa bhavati = becomes (under) my control; kshipram = quickly; tathaa = thus; sarvaaH = all of you; sametya cha = together; kuruta = do that task).
"O ogres! How the daughter of Janaka, Seetha becomes under my control quickly, thus all of you together do that task."
pratilomaanulomaishcha saamadaanaadibhedanaiH || 5-22-37
avarjayata vaidehiiM daNDasyodyamanena cha |
37. pratiloma anulomaishcha = with hostile and favourable (tasks); saamadaanaadibhedanaiH = with kind words; with gifts; and dividing words; udyamanena cha = and exertion; daNDasya = of punishment; avarjayata = bring under possession; vaidehiim = Seetha.
"With hostile and favourable tasks, with kind words, with gifts and dividing words and exertion of punishment, bring Seetha under my possession."
iti pratisamaadishya raakShasendraH punaH punaH || 5-22-38
kaamamanyupariitaatmaa jaanakiiM paryatarjayat |
38. raakshsendraH = Ravana; iti = thuus; pratisamadishya = ordered; punaH punaH = again and again; kaamamanyu pariitaatmaa = with a mind full of lust and anger; paryatarjayat = frightened; jaanakiim = Seetha.
Ravana thus ordered again and again with a mind full of lust and anger frightened Seetha.
upagamya tataH shiighraM raakShasii dhaanyamaalinii || 5-22-39
pariShvajya dashagriivamidaM vachanamabraviit |
39. tataH = Thereafter; raakshasii = an ogre; dhaanyamaalinii = (called) Dhanyamalini; shiighram = quickly; upagamya = neared; dashagriivam = Ravana; parishhvajya = embraced (him); abraviit = (and) spoke; idam = these; vachanam = words.
Thereafter an ogre named Dhanyamalini quickly neared Ravana, embraced him and spoke these words.
mayaa kriiDa mahaaraaja siitayaa kiM tavaanayaa || 5-22-40
vivarNayaa kR^ipaNayaa maanuShyaa raakShaseshvara |
40. mahaaraajaa = O king!; kriiDa = sport; mayaa = with me; raakshasesshvara = O lord of ogres!; kim prayojanam = of what use; tava = to you; anayaa = (is) this; siitayaa = Seetha; vivarNayaa = (who is) colorless; kR^ipaNayaa maanushhyaa = and a wreched human;
"O king! Sport with me. O lord of ogres! Of what use to you is this Seetha who is colorless and a wreched human."
nuunamasyaa mahaaraaja na divyaan bhogasattamaan || 5-22-41
vidadhaatyamarashreShThastava baahubalaarjitaan |
41. maharaja = O king!; amarashreshhThaH = Lord Brahma; na vidadhaata = did not assign; asyaaH = to Her; divyaan = wonderful; bhogasattamaan = best luxuries; tava baahubalaarjitaan = earned by the might of your arms; ;nuunam = this is definite.
"O king! Lord Barhma did not assign to Her wonderful best luxuries earned by the might of your arms. This is definite."
akaamaaM kaamayaanasya shariiramupatapyate || 5-22-42
ichchhantiiM kaamayaanasya priitirbhavati shobhanaa |
42. shariiram = the body; kaamayaanasya = of one who desires; akaamaam = (a woman) without desire; upatapyate = suffers pain; shobhanaa = good; priitiH = happiness; bhavati = will occur; kaamayaanasya = to one who loves;icchantiim = (a woman) who desires (him).
"The body of one who desires a woman without desire suffers pain. Good happiness will occur to one who loves a woman who desires him."
evamuktastu raakShasyaa samutkShiptastato balii || 5-22-43
prahasanmeghasamkaasho raakShasaH sa nyavartata |
43. evam = thus; uktaH = spoken to; raakshasyaaH = by that ogre; saH = that; raakshasaH = Ravana; balii = who was strong; meghasaMkaashaH = equalling a cloud; tataH = thereafter; samutkkshipataH = being taken away; nyavartata = turned back; prahasan = laughing.
Thus spoken to by that ogre that Ravana who was strong equalling a cloud, thereafter being taken away turned back laughing."
prasthitaH sa dashagriivaH kampayanniva mediniim || 5-22-44
jvaladbhaaskaravarNaabham pravivesha niveshanam |
44. saH = that; dashagriivaH = Ravana; prasthitaH = departing; kampayanniva = was as though shaking; mediniim = the earth; pravivesha = entered; niveshanam = (his) house jvaladbhaaskaravarNaabham = with the lustre of blazing sun shine;
That Ravana departing was as though shaking the earth and entered his house with the lustre of blazing sun shine.
devagandharvakanyaashcha naagakanyaashcha sarvataH || 5-22-45
parivaarya dashagriivaM vivishustaM gR^ihottamam |
45. deva gandharva kanyaashcha = Deva and Gandharva maidens; naagakanyaashcha = and Naga maidens; parivaarya = surrounding; raavaNam = Ravana; sarvataH = in all directions; vivishuH = entered; tam = that; gR^ihottamam = best among houses.
Deva and Gandharva maidens and Naga maidens surrounding Ravana in all directions entered that best among houses.
sa maithiliiM dhrama paraamavasthitaaM |
pravepamaanaaM paribharsya raavaNaH |
vihaaya siitaaM madanena mohitaH |
svameva veshma pravivesha bhaasvaram || 5-22-46
46. saH = that; raavanaH = Ravana; paribhartsya = frightening; maithiliim = Seetha; avasthitaam = (who was) steadfastly; dharmaparaam = intent on virtue; pravepamaanaam = (and who was) shaking; vihaaya = leaving; siitaam = Seetha; mohitaH = infatuated; madanena = by love;pravivesha = entered; svam = his own; veshmaiva = house; bhaasvaram = which was shining.
That Ravana frightening Seetha who was steadfastly intent on virtue and who was shaking, leaving Seetha, infatuated by love, entered his own house which was shining.
- - -
ityaarShe shiirmadraamaayaNe aadikaavye sundarakaaNDe dvaaviMshaH sargaH
|Top of Page||1||2||3||4|
© June, 2005, Kishore Kopalle
Check here for
File transferred by Go FTP FREE Software