In this chapter Seetha replies to Ravana saying that He should seek friendship with Rama and return Her back to Rama.
तस्य तद्वचनम् श्रुत्वा सीता रौद्रस्य रक्षसः |
आर्ता दीनस्वरा दीनम् प्रत्युवाच ततः शनैः || ५-२१-१
1. siitaa = Seetha; shrutvaa = listening; tasya raudrasya rakshasaH = to that horrible ogre's; tat = that; vachanam = word; aartaa = being tormented; pratyuvacha = spoke in reply; diina svaraa = with a pitiable voice; diinam = pitifully; shanaiH = slowly.
Seetha listening to that horrible ogre's word, being tormented spoke in reply with a pitiable voice, pitifully and slowly.
दुःखार्ता रुदती सीता वेपमाना तपस्विनी |
चिन्तयन्ती वरारोह पतिमेव पतिव्रता || ५-२१-२
तृणमन्तरतः कृत्वा प्रत्युवाच शुचिस्मिता |
2. duhkhaartaa = Being tormented by grief; tapasvinii = in a pitiful state; varaarohaa = with excellent limbs; pativrataa = devoted to husband; chintayantii = thinking; patimeva = about husband alone; shuchi smitaa = with pleasant smiles; siitaa = Seetha; rudati = was sobbing;vepamaanaa = shivering; kR^itvaa = making; tR^iNam = a grass straw;antarataH = in between (herself and Ravana);pratyuvaacha = spoke in reply.
Being tormented by grief, in a pitiful state, with excellent limbs, devoted to husband, thinking about husband alone, with pleasant smiles Seetha was sobbing, shivering and placing a straw in between herself and Ravana spoke thus in reply.
निवर्तय मनो मत्तः स्वजने क्रियतां मनः || ५-२१-३
न मां प्रार्थयितुं युक्तं सुसिद्धिमिव पापकृत् |
3. nivartaya = turn back; manaH = mind; mattaH = from me; manaH kriyataam = let your mind be made; svajaH = on your own wives; susiddhimiva = like best emancipation;paapakR^it = (for) a sinner; na yuktam = it is not appropriate; praarthayitum = to pray;maam = me.
"Turn your mind back from me. Let your mind be made on your own wives. Like best emancipation for a sinner, it is not appropriate to pray me."
अकार्यम् न मया कार्यमेकपत्न्या विगर्हितम् || ५-२१-४
कुलम् सम्प्राप्तया पुण्यम् कुले महति जातया |
4. jaatayaa = I was born; mahati = in a great; kule = family; saMpraaptayaa = getting;kulam = family;ekapatnyaa = having one husband; akaaryam = a bad deed; nigarhitam = which is blameable;na kaaryam = is not to be made; mayaa = by me.
"I was born in a great family. Getting such family, having one husband, a bad deed which is blameable is not to be made by me."
एवमुक्त्वा तु वैदेही रावणम् तम् यशस्विनी || ५-२१-५
रावणम् पृष्ठतः कृत्वा भूयो वचनम्ब्रवीत् |
5. vaidehii = Seetha;yashasvinii = with renown; evam uktvaa = thus speaking; tam ravaNam = to that Ravana; kR^itvaa = making; pR^ishhThataH = the back; raakshasam = to (that) ogre; abraviit = spoke; vachanam = words; buuyaH = again.
Seetha with renown thus speaking to that Ravana, turned back and spoke words again.
वाहमौपयिकी भार्या परभार्या सती तव || ५-२१-६
साधु धर्ममवेक्षस्व साधु साधुव्रतम् चर |
6. aham = I; parabharyaa = who am wife of another;satii = and devoted to husband; na = am not; aupaikii = suitable; bhaaryaa = wife; tava = to you; anvekshasva = observe; dharmam = righteousness; saadhu = well; chara = follow; saadhuvratam = course of conduct of virtuous; saadhu = well.
"I who am wife of another and devoted to husband am not suitable wife to you. Observe righteousness well. Follow well course of conduct of virtuous."
यथा तव तथान्येषां दारा रक्ष्या विशाचर || ५-२१-७
आत्मानमुपमां कृत्वा स्वेषु दारेषु रम्यताम् |
7. nishaachara = O ogre!; yathaa = how; tava = your (wives) rakshyaaH = are to be protected; tathaa = in the same way; anyeshhaam = others'; daaraaH = wives (are to be protected); aatmaanam upamaam kR^itvaa = making yourself as an example; ramyataam = enjoy; sveshhu daarseshhu = .your own wives.
"O Ogre! How your wives are to be protected, in the same way others' wives are to be protected. Making yourself as an example enjoy your own wives."
अतुष्टं स्वेषु दारेषु चपलम् चलितेन्द्रियम् || ५-२१-८
नयन्ति निकृतिप्रज्ञं परदाराः पराभवम् |
8. atushhTam = one who is not satisfied; sveshhu daareshhu = in own wives; chapalam = fickle-minded one; chalitendriyam = with disturbed senses; nikR^iti prajJNaam = mean minded one; (to such a man)parabhaaryaaH = others' wives; nayanti = will lead; paraabhavam = to humiliation.
"One who is not satisfied in own wives, a fickle-minded one with disturbed senses, mean minded one, to such a man, others' wives will lead to humilation."
इह सन्तो न वा सन्ति सतो वा नानुवर्तसे || ५-२१-९
तथाहि विपरीता ते बुद्धिराचारवर्जिता |
9. iha = here; na vaa santi = are there not; santaH = good people?; naanuvartase vaa = or are you not following; sataH = those (who are good)?; tathhahi = it must be like that; te buddhiH = (beacuse) your mind; aachaaravarjitaa = devoid of traditions; vipariitaa = is perverse.
"Here are there not good people? Or are you not following those who are good? It must be like that because your mind, devoid of traditions is perverse."
वचो मिथ्याप्रणीतात्मा पथ्यमुक्तं विचक्षणैः || ५-२१-१०
राक्षसानामभावाय त्वम् वा न व्रतिपद्यसे |
10. tvam = you; mithyaa praNiitaatmaa = who is being led by mind towards unreal; na pratipadya se = is not taking; pathyam = wholesome; vachaH = words; uptam = being said; vichakshaNaiH = by righteous ones; abhaavaaya = for the destruction; raakshasaanaam = of ogres.
"You who is being led by mind towards unreal is not taking wholesome words being said by righteous onesfor the destruction of ogres."
आकृतात्मानमासाद्य राजानमनये रतम् || ५-२१-११
समृद्धानि विनश्यन्ति राष्ट्राणि नगराणि च |
तथेयम् त्वाम् समासाद्य लङ्का रत्नौघसम्कुला || ५-२१-१२
अपराधात्तवैकस्य वचिराद्विनशिष्यति |
11; 12. aasaadya = (after) getting; raajaanam = a king; akR^itaatmaanam = who has uncontrolled mind; ratam = interested; anaye = in bad path; samR^iddani = wealthy; raashhTraaNi = states; nagaraaNi cha = and cities also; vinashyanti = will be destroyed; samaasaadya = (after)getting; tvaam = you; tathaa = like that; iyam laN^kaa = this Lanka;ratnaugha saMkulaa = filled with best things; nachiraat = in a short while; vinashishhyati = will be destroyed; tava = due to your; ekasya = one; aparaadhaat = sin.
"After getting a king who has uncontrolled mind, interested in a bad path, wealthy states and cities also will be destroyed. After getting you like that this Lanka filled with best things in a short while will be destroyed due to your one sin."
स्वकृतैर्हन्यमानस्य आवणादीर्घदर्शिनः || ५-२१-१३
अभिनन्दन्ति भूतानि विनाशे पापकर्मणः |
13. raavana = O Ravana!; vinaashe = (when there is) destruction; adiirgha darshinaH = (of) a short sighted one; hanyamaanasya svakR^itaiH = being hit by his own deeds; paapakamaNaH = a sinner; bhuutaani = living beings; abhinandanti = will be happy;
"O Ravana! When there is destruction of a short sighted one being hit by his own deeds, a sinner, living beings will be happy."
एवं त्वां पापकर्माणम् वक्ष्यन्ति निकृता जनाः || ५-२१-१४
दिष्ट्यैतद् व्यसनं प्राप्तो रौद्र इत्येव हर्षिताः |
14. tvaam = about you;paapakarmaaNam = who is a sinner; evam = thus being destroyed; janaaH = people; nikR^itaaH = who have been humiliated by you; harshhitaaH = being happy; ityeva vakshyanti = will speak thus; raudraH = the cruel Ravana; dishhTyaa = by God's grace; praaptaH = has got; etat vyasanam = this danger.
"About you who is a sinner thus being destroyed, people who have been humiliated by you being happy will speak thus: 'The cruel Ravana by God's grace has got this danger' ".
शक्या लोभयितुं नाहमैश्वर्येण धनेन वा || ५-२१-१५
अनन्या राघवेणाहं भास्करेण प्रभा यथा |
15. aham = I; na shakyaa = am not capable; lobhayitum = to be tempted; aisvaryeNa = by wealth; dhanena vaa = or by money;aham = I; ananyaa = am not separate; raaghaveNa = with Raghava; prabhaa yathaa = like the sun-shine; bhaaskareNa = with the sun.
"I am not capable to be tempted by wealth or by money. I am not separate with Raghava like the sun-shine with the sun."
उपधाय भुजम् तस्य लोकनाथस्य सत्कृतम् || ५-२१-१६
कथम् नामोपधास्यामि भुजमन्यस्य कस्य चित् |
16. upadhaaya = (after making) as a pillow; satkR^itam bhujam = that worshipped shoulder; lokanathasya = of that lord of the world; tasya = of that Rama;katham naama = how; upadhaasyaami = can I make as pillow; .anyasya kasya chit = some other one's; bhujam = shoulder.
"After making as a pillow that worshipped shoulder of that lord of the world, of that Rama, how can I make as pillow some other one's shoulder?"
अहमौपयीकी भार्या तस्यैव वसुधापतेः || ५-२१-१७
व्रतस्नातस्य विप्रस्य विद्येव विदितात्मनः |
17. vidyaa iva = like the education;viprasya = of a brahmin; viditaatmanaH = with a famous mind; vrata snaatasya = initiated in religious vow; aham = I;aupayikii bharyaa = am a suitable wife; tasyaiva = to that Rama alone; vasudhaapateH = the lord of earth.
"Like the education of a brahmin with a famous mind, initiated in religious vow, I am suitable wife to that Rama alone the lord of earth."
साधु रावण रामेण मां समानय दुःखिताम् || ५-२१-१८
वने वाशितया सार्थम् करेण्वेव गजाधिपम् |
18. raavaNa = O Ravana!; maam samaanaya = let me meet;saadhu = well; raameNa saardham = together with Rama; vaashitayaa kareNveva = like a female elephant; gajaadhipam = with a (male) elephant; vane = in a forest.
"O Ravana! Let me meet together with Rama like a female elephant with a male elephant in a forest."
मित्रमौपयिकम् कर्तुम् रामः स्थानम् परीप्सता || ५-२१-१९
वधम् चानिच्छता घोरं त्वयासौ पुरुषर्षभः |
19. aupayikam = it is suited; asau = this; raamaH = Rama; purushharshhabhaH = best among men; mitram kartum = is made to be a friend; tvayaa = by you; pariipsataa = who is desiring; sthaanam = continued existence; anichchhataa cha = and not desiring; ghoram vadham = a horrible slaying.
"It is suited that this Rama, best among men, is made to be a friend by you who is desiring continued existence and not desiring a horrible slaying."
विदितः स हि धर्मज्ञः शरणागतवत्सलः || ५-२१-२०
तेन मैत्री भवतु ते यदि जीवितुमिच्चसि |
20. saH = He (Rama); dharmajJNaH = the righteous one; viditaH hi = is indeed known;sharaNaagatavatsalaH = as one who loves those who seek protection; ichchhasi yadi = if you desire; jiivitam = to live; maitrii bhavatu = let there be friendhip; te = to you; tena = with Rama.
"Rama the righteous one is indeed known as one who loves those who seek protection. If you desire to live. let there be friendship between you and Rama."
प्रसादयस्व त्वं चनं शरणागतवत्सलम् || ५-२१-२१
मां चास्मै नियतो भूत्वा निर्यातयितुमर्हसि |
21. tvam = you; prasaadayasva = seek graciousness;enam = of this Rama; sharaNaagatavatsalam = who loves those who seek protection;prayataH bhuutvaa = becoming piously disposed; arhasi = you are suited; niryaatayitum = to return; maam = me; asmai = to this Rama.
"You seek graciousness of this Rama who loves those who seek protection. Becoming piously disposed, you are suited to return me to this Rama."
एवम् हि ते भवेत्स्वस्ति सम्प्रदाय रघूत्तमे || ५-२१-२२
अन्यथा त्वम् हि कुर्वणो वधम् प्राप्स्यसि रावण |
22. evam = in this way; sampradaaya = giving (me); raghuuttame = to Rama;bhavet = will become; svasti = fortunate; te = to you; ravaNa = O Ravana!; tvam = you; anyathaa kurvaaNa = doing in a different way; vadham praapsyasi = will get slaying.
"In this way giving me to Rama will become fortunate to you. O Ravana! If you do in a different way, you will get slayed."
वर्जयेद्वज्रमुत्सृष्टं वर्जयेदन्तकश्चिरम् || ५-२१-२३
त्वद्विधम् तु न स क्रुद्धो लोकनाथः स राघवः |
23. utKRishhTam = drawn out; vajram = Vajrayudha; the weapon of Indra; varjayet = may spare;tvadvidham = some one like you; antakaH = Lord of death; varjayet = may spare you; chiram = for a long time; saH RaaghavaH = that Rama; lokanaathaH = the lord of worlds; saMkruddhaH = greatly enraged; na = will not (spare you).
"Drawn out Vajrayudha, the weapon of Indra may spare some one like you. Lord of death may spare you for a long time. That Rama the lord of worlds greatly enraged will not spare you."
रामस्य धनुषः शब्दं श्रोष्यसि त्वं महास्वनम् || ५-२१-२४
शतक्रतुविसृष्टस्य निर्घोषमशनेरिव |
24. nirghoshhamiva = like the great sound; ashaneH = of Vajrayudha; shatakratuvisR^iSTaya = hurled by Indra; tvam shroshhyasi = you will hear; mahaasvanam = a loud sound; shabdam = which is sonorous; raamasya dhanushhaH = of Ram's bow.
"Like the great sound of Vajrayudha hurled by Indra, you will hear a loud sound which is sonorous of Rama's bow."
इह शीग्रं सुपर्वाणो ज्वलितास्य इवोरगाः || ५-२१-२५
इषवो निपतिष्यन्ति रामलक्ष्मणलक्षणाः |
25. ishhavaH = arrows; suparvaaNaH = with good nodes;prajvalitaasyaaH = with blazing tips; uragaaH iva = like snakes; raamalakshmaNa lakshaNaaH = with characteristic signs of Rama and Lakshmana nipatishhyanti = will fall down; iha = here (in Lanka); shiighram = soon.
"Arrows with good nodes, with blazing tips, like snakes, with characteristic signs of Rama and Lakshmana will fall down soon here in Lanka."
रक्षांसि परिनिघ्नस्तः पुर्यामस्यां समन्ततः || ५-२१-२६
असम्पातं करिष्यन्ति पतन्तः कङ्कवाससः |
26. kaN^ka vaasasaH = arrows tied with the plumes of an eagle; parivighnantaH = will hit; rakshaaMsi = ogres; samantataH = everywhere; asyaam puryaam = in this city; karishhyanti = (and) will make; asaMpaatam = without space.
"Arrows tied with the plumes of an eagle will hit ogres everywhere in this city and will cover the city without space."
राक्षसेन्द्रमहासर्पान् स रामगरुडो महान् || ५-२१-२७
उद्धरिष्यति वेगेन वैनतेय इवोरगान् |
27. saH = That; raamagarudaH = Garuda called Rama; vegena = speedily; uddharishhyati = will pluck; raakshasendramahaasarpaan = the great serpents called ogres; vainateyaH uragaaniva = like Vainateya (plucking) the serpents.
"That Garuda called Rama speedily will pluck the great serpants called ogres like Vainateya plucking the serpants."
अपनेष्यति मां भर्ता त्वत्तः शीघ्रमरिन्दमः || ५-२१-२८
असुरेभ्यः श्रियं दीप्तां विष्णुस्त्रिभिरिव क्रमैः |
28. bhartaa = my husband;ariMdamaH = the destoyer of foes; maam apaneshhyati = will take me away; tvattaH = from you; vishhNuH iva = like Lord Vishnu; tribhiH kramaiH = with three steps; diiptaam shriyam = (taking away) brilliant prosperity; asurebhyaH = from Asuras.
"My husband who is a destroyer of foes will take me away from you like Lord Vishnu with three steps taking away the brilliant prosperity from Asuras."
जनस्थाने हतस्थाने निहते रक्षसां बले || ५-२१-२९
अशक्तेन त्वया रक्षः कृतमेतदसाधु वै |
29. rakshaH = O ogre!;rakshasaam bale = (while the) army of ogres; nihate = was being killed; janasthaane = at Janasthana; hatasthaane = (which became) land of the dead; etat = this; asaadhu = bad (deed); kR^itam vai = has been done; tvayaa = by you; ashaktena = being powerless;.
"O ogre! While the army of ogres was being killed at Janasthana which became the land of dead, this bad deed has been done by you being powerless."
अश्रमम् तु तयोः शून्यं प्रविश्य नरसिम्हयोः || ५-२१-३०
गोचरं गतयोर्र्भात्रोरपनीता त्वयाधम |
30. adhama = O lowest one!; tayoH bhraatroH = (when) those brothers; gatayoH = were gone; gocharam = out; pravishya = entering; aashramam = hermitage; shuunyam = without them; apanitaa = I have been abducted; tvayaa = by you.
"O lowest one! When those brothers were gone out, entering hermitage without them, I have been abducted by you."
न हि गन्धमुपाघ्राय रामलक्ष्मणयोस्त्वया || ५-२१-३१
शक्यं संदर्शने स्थातुं शुना शार्दूलयोरिव |
31. shaarddulayoriva = like tiger; shunaa = by dog; upaaghraaya = smelling; gandham = scent;raamalakshmaNayoH = of Rama and Lakshmana; na shakyam hi = it is indeed not possible; tvayaa = by you; sthaatum = to stand; saMdarshane = (in their) view.
"Like tiger by dog, smelling the scent of Rama and Lakshmana it is indeed not possible by you to stand in their view."
तस्य ते विग्रहे ताभ्यां युगग्रहणमस्थिरम् || ५-२१-३२
वृत्रस्येवेन्द्रबाहुभ्यां बाहोरेकस्य विग्रहे |
32. te = To you; tasya = like that; vigrahe = enmity; tabhyaam = with those two; vigrahe iha = is like the enmity; ekasya bahoH = of one hand; vR^itrasya = of Vruttasura; indra baahubhyaam = with two hands of Indra; asthiram = (and) it is not persevering; yugagrahanam = (for you) to be an opponent (with them).
"To you like that, enmity with those two is like the enmity of one hand of Vruttasura with two hands of Indra and it is not persevering for you to be an opponent with them."
क्षिप्रं तव स नाथो मे रामः सौमित्रिणा सह || ५-२१-३३
तोयमल्पमिवादित्यः प्रानानादास्यते शरैः |
33. me naathaH = my husband; saH raamaH = that Rama; saumitriNaa saha = together with Lakshmana; adaasyate = will take away; sharaiH = with His arrows; tava praaNaan = your life; kshipram = quickly;aadityaH iva = like the sun;alpam toyam = (drying) shallow water.
"My husband that Rama together with Lakshmana will take away with His arrows your life quickly like the sun drying up shallow water."
गिरिं कुबेरस्य गतोऽथवालयम् |
सभां गतो वा वरुणस्य राज्ञः |
असंशयं दाशरथेर्न मोक्ष्यसे |
महाद्रुमः कालहतोऽशनेरिव || ५-२१-३४
34. kaala hataH = Killed by time; kuberasya girim gatam = (even if you) go to the mountain of Kubera; athavaa = or; aalyam = to his house; gato vaa = or if you go; sabhaam = to the assembly; raajJNaH varunasya = of King Varuna; asaMshayaM = without doubt; na mokshyase = you will not be released; daasharatheH = from Rama; mahaadrumaH = like a great tree; ashani = (from) thunderbolt.
"Killed by time even if you go to the mountain of Kubera or to his house or if you go to the assembly of King Varuna, without doubt you will not be relased from Rama like a great tree from thunderbolt."
- - -
इत्यार्षे श्रीमद्रामायणे आदिकाव्ये सुन्दरकाण्डे एकविंशः सर्गः
|Top of Page||1||2||3||4|
© June, 2005, Kishore Kopalle