In this chapter Seetha replies to Ravana saying that He should seek friendship with Rama and return Her back to Rama.
tasya tadvacanam śrutvā sītā raudrasya rakṣasaḥ |
ārtā dīnasvarā dīnam pratyuvāca tataḥ śanaiḥ || 5-21-1
1. siitaa = Seetha; shrutvaa = listening; tasya raudrasya rakshasaH = to that horrible ogre's; tat = that; vachanam = word; aartaa = being tormented; pratyuvacha = spoke in reply; diina svaraa = with a pitiable voice; diinam = pitifully; shanaiH = slowly.
Seetha listening to that horrible ogre's word, being tormented spoke in reply with a pitiable voice, pitifully and slowly.
duḥkhārtā rudatī sītā vepamānā tapasvinī |
cintayantī varāroha patimeva pativratā || 5-21-2
tṛṇamantarataḥ kṛtvā pratyuvāca śucismitā |
2. duhkhaartaa = Being tormented by grief; tapasvinii = in a pitiful state; varaarohaa = with excellent limbs; pativrataa = devoted to husband; chintayantii = thinking; patimeva = about husband alone; shuchi smitaa = with pleasant smiles; siitaa = Seetha; rudati = was sobbing;vepamaanaa = shivering; kR^itvaa = making; tR^iNam = a grass straw;antarataH = in between (herself and Ravana);pratyuvaacha = spoke in reply.
Being tormented by grief, in a pitiful state, with excellent limbs, devoted to husband, thinking about husband alone, with pleasant smiles Seetha was sobbing, shivering and placing a straw in between herself and Ravana spoke thus in reply.
nivartaya mano mattaḥ svajane kriyatāṃ manaḥ || 5-21-3
na māṃ prārthayituṃ yuktaṃ susiddhimiva pāpakṛt |
3. nivartaya = turn back; manaH = mind; mattaH = from me; manaH kriyataam = let your mind be made; svajaH = on your own wives; susiddhimiva = like best emancipation;paapakR^it = (for) a sinner; na yuktam = it is not appropriate; praarthayitum = to pray;maam = me.
"Turn your mind back from me. Let your mind be made on your own wives. Like best emancipation for a sinner, it is not appropriate to pray me."
akāryam na mayā kāryamekapatnyā vigarhitam || 5-21-4
kulam samprāptayā puṇyam kule mahati jātayā |
4. jaatayaa = I was born; mahati = in a great; kule = family; saMpraaptayaa = getting;kulam = family;ekapatnyaa = having one husband; akaaryam = a bad deed; nigarhitam = which is blameable;na kaaryam = is not to be made; mayaa = by me.
"I was born in a great family. Getting such family, having one husband, a bad deed which is blameable is not to be made by me."
evamuktvā tu vaidehī rāvaṇam tam yaśasvinī || 5-21-5
rāvaṇam pṛṣṭhataḥ kṛtvā bhūyo vacanambravīt |
5. vaidehii = Seetha;yashasvinii = with renown; evam uktvaa = thus speaking; tam ravaNam = to that Ravana; kR^itvaa = making; pR^ishhThataH = the back; raakshasam = to (that) ogre; abraviit = spoke; vachanam = words; buuyaH = again.
Seetha with renown thus speaking to that Ravana, turned back and spoke words again.
vāhamaupayikī bhāryā parabhāryā satī tava || 5-21-6
sādhu dharmamavekṣasva sādhu sādhuvratam cara |
6. aham = I; parabharyaa = who am wife of another;satii = and devoted to husband; na = am not; aupaikii = suitable; bhaaryaa = wife; tava = to you; anvekshasva = observe; dharmam = righteousness; saadhu = well; chara = follow; saadhuvratam = course of conduct of virtuous; saadhu = well.
"I who am wife of another and devoted to husband am not suitable wife to you. Observe righteousness well. Follow well course of conduct of virtuous."
yathā tava tathānyeṣāṃ dārā rakṣyā viśācara || 5-21-7
ātmānamupamāṃ kṛtvā sveṣu dāreṣu ramyatām |
7. nishaachara = O ogre!; yathaa = how; tava = your (wives) rakshyaaH = are to be protected; tathaa = in the same way; anyeshhaam = others'; daaraaH = wives (are to be protected); aatmaanam upamaam kR^itvaa = making yourself as an example; ramyataam = enjoy; sveshhu daarseshhu = .your own wives.
"O Ogre! How your wives are to be protected, in the same way others' wives are to be protected. Making yourself as an example enjoy your own wives."
atuṣṭaṃ sveṣu dāreṣu capalam calitendriyam || 5-21-8
nayanti nikṛtiprajñaṃ paradārāḥ parābhavam |
8. atushhTam = one who is not satisfied; sveshhu daareshhu = in own wives; chapalam = fickle-minded one; chalitendriyam = with disturbed senses; nikR^iti prajJNaam = mean minded one; (to such a man)parabhaaryaaH = others' wives; nayanti = will lead; paraabhavam = to humiliation.
"One who is not satisfied in own wives, a fickle-minded one with disturbed senses, mean minded one, to such a man, others' wives will lead to humilation."
iha santo na vā santi sato vā nānuvartase || 5-21-9
tathāhi viparītā te buddhirācāravarjitā |
9. iha = here; na vaa santi = are there not; santaH = good people?; naanuvartase vaa = or are you not following; sataH = those (who are good)?; tathhahi = it must be like that; te buddhiH = (beacuse) your mind; aachaaravarjitaa = devoid of traditions; vipariitaa = is perverse.
"Here are there not good people? Or are you not following those who are good? It must be like that because your mind, devoid of traditions is perverse."
vaco mithyāpraṇītātmā pathyamuktaṃ vicakṣaṇaiḥ || 5-21-10
rākṣasānāmabhāvāya tvam vā na vratipadyase |
10. tvam = you; mithyaa praNiitaatmaa = who is being led by mind towards unreal; na pratipadya se = is not taking; pathyam = wholesome; vachaH = words; uptam = being said; vichakshaNaiH = by righteous ones; abhaavaaya = for the destruction; raakshasaanaam = of ogres.
"You who is being led by mind towards unreal is not taking wholesome words being said by righteous onesfor the destruction of ogres."
ākṛtātmānamāsādya rājānamanaye ratam || 5-21-11
samṛddhāni vinaśyanti rāṣṭrāṇi nagarāṇi ca |
tatheyam tvām samāsādya laṅkā ratnaughasamkulā || 5-21-12
aparādhāttavaikasya vacirādvinaśiṣyati |
11; 12. aasaadya = (after) getting; raajaanam = a king; akR^itaatmaanam = who has uncontrolled mind; ratam = interested; anaye = in bad path; samR^iddani = wealthy; raashhTraaNi = states; nagaraaNi cha = and cities also; vinashyanti = will be destroyed; samaasaadya = (after)getting; tvaam = you; tathaa = like that; iyam laN^kaa = this Lanka;ratnaugha saMkulaa = filled with best things; nachiraat = in a short while; vinashishhyati = will be destroyed; tava = due to your; ekasya = one; aparaadhaat = sin.
"After getting a king who has uncontrolled mind, interested in a bad path, wealthy states and cities also will be destroyed. After getting you like that this Lanka filled with best things in a short while will be destroyed due to your one sin."
svakṛtairhanyamānasya āvaṇādīrghadarśinaḥ || 5-21-13
abhinandanti bhūtāni vināśe pāpakarmaṇaḥ |
13. raavana = O Ravana!; vinaashe = (when there is) destruction; adiirgha darshinaH = (of) a short sighted one; hanyamaanasya svakR^itaiH = being hit by his own deeds; paapakamaNaH = a sinner; bhuutaani = living beings; abhinandanti = will be happy;
"O Ravana! When there is destruction of a short sighted one being hit by his own deeds, a sinner, living beings will be happy."
evaṃ tvāṃ pāpakarmāṇam vakṣyanti nikṛtā janāḥ || 5-21-14
diṣṭyaitad vyasanaṃ prāpto raudra ityeva harṣitāḥ |
14. tvaam = about you;paapakarmaaNam = who is a sinner; evam = thus being destroyed; janaaH = people; nikR^itaaH = who have been humiliated by you; harshhitaaH = being happy; ityeva vakshyanti = will speak thus; raudraH = the cruel Ravana; dishhTyaa = by God's grace; praaptaH = has got; etat vyasanam = this danger.
"About you who is a sinner thus being destroyed, people who have been humiliated by you being happy will speak thus: 'The cruel Ravana by God's grace has got this danger' ".
śakyā lobhayituṃ nāhamaiśvaryeṇa dhanena vā || 5-21-15
ananyā rāghaveṇāhaṃ bhāskareṇa prabhā yathā |
15. aham = I; na shakyaa = am not capable; lobhayitum = to be tempted; aisvaryeNa = by wealth; dhanena vaa = or by money;aham = I; ananyaa = am not separate; raaghaveNa = with Raghava; prabhaa yathaa = like the sun-shine; bhaaskareNa = with the sun.
"I am not capable to be tempted by wealth or by money. I am not separate with Raghava like the sun-shine with the sun."
upadhāya bhujam tasya lokanāthasya satkṛtam || 5-21-16
katham nāmopadhāsyāmi bhujamanyasya kasya cit |
16. upadhaaya = (after making) as a pillow; satkR^itam bhujam = that worshipped shoulder; lokanathasya = of that lord of the world; tasya = of that Rama;katham naama = how; upadhaasyaami = can I make as pillow; .anyasya kasya chit = some other one's; bhujam = shoulder.
"After making as a pillow that worshipped shoulder of that lord of the world, of that Rama, how can I make as pillow some other one's shoulder?"
ahamaupayīkī bhāryā tasyaiva vasudhāpateḥ || 5-21-17
vratasnātasya viprasya vidyeva viditātmanaḥ |
17. vidyaa iva = like the education;viprasya = of a brahmin; viditaatmanaH = with a famous mind; vrata snaatasya = initiated in religious vow; aham = I;aupayikii bharyaa = am a suitable wife; tasyaiva = to that Rama alone; vasudhaapateH = the lord of earth.
"Like the education of a brahmin with a famous mind, initiated in religious vow, I am suitable wife to that Rama alone the lord of earth."
sādhu rāvaṇa rāmeṇa māṃ samānaya duḥkhitām || 5-21-18
vane vāśitayā sārtham kareṇveva gajādhipam |
18. raavaNa = O Ravana!; maam samaanaya = let me meet;saadhu = well; raameNa saardham = together with Rama; vaashitayaa kareNveva = like a female elephant; gajaadhipam = with a (male) elephant; vane = in a forest.
"O Ravana! Let me meet together with Rama like a female elephant with a male elephant in a forest."
mitramaupayikam kartum rāmaḥ sthānam parīpsatā || 5-21-19
vadham cānicchatā ghoraṃ tvayāsau puruṣarṣabhaḥ |
19. aupayikam = it is suited; asau = this; raamaH = Rama; purushharshhabhaH = best among men; mitram kartum = is made to be a friend; tvayaa = by you; pariipsataa = who is desiring; sthaanam = continued existence; anichchhataa cha = and not desiring; ghoram vadham = a horrible slaying.
"It is suited that this Rama, best among men, is made to be a friend by you who is desiring continued existence and not desiring a horrible slaying."
viditaḥ sa hi dharmajñaḥ śaraṇāgatavatsalaḥ || 5-21-20
tena maitrī bhavatu te yadi jīvitumiccasi |
20. saH = He (Rama); dharmajJNaH = the righteous one; viditaH hi = is indeed known;sharaNaagatavatsalaH = as one who loves those who seek protection; ichchhasi yadi = if you desire; jiivitam = to live; maitrii bhavatu = let there be friendhip; te = to you; tena = with Rama.
"Rama the righteous one is indeed known as one who loves those who seek protection. If you desire to live. let there be friendship between you and Rama."
prasādayasva tvaṃ canaṃ śaraṇāgatavatsalam || 5-21-21
māṃ cāsmai niyato bhūtvā niryātayitumarhasi |
21. tvam = you; prasaadayasva = seek graciousness;enam = of this Rama; sharaNaagatavatsalam = who loves those who seek protection;prayataH bhuutvaa = becoming piously disposed; arhasi = you are suited; niryaatayitum = to return; maam = me; asmai = to this Rama.
"You seek graciousness of this Rama who loves those who seek protection. Becoming piously disposed, you are suited to return me to this Rama."
evam hi te bhavetsvasti sampradāya raghūttame || 5-21-22
anyathā tvam hi kurvaṇo vadham prāpsyasi rāvaṇa |
22. evam = in this way; sampradaaya = giving (me); raghuuttame = to Rama;bhavet = will become; svasti = fortunate; te = to you; ravaNa = O Ravana!; tvam = you; anyathaa kurvaaNa = doing in a different way; vadham praapsyasi = will get slaying.
"In this way giving me to Rama will become fortunate to you. O Ravana! If you do in a different way, you will get slayed."
varjayedvajramutsṛṣṭaṃ varjayedantakaściram || 5-21-23
tvadvidham tu na sa kruddho lokanāthaḥ sa rāghavaḥ |
23. utKRishhTam = drawn out; vajram = Vajrayudha; the weapon of Indra; varjayet = may spare;tvadvidham = some one like you; antakaH = Lord of death; varjayet = may spare you; chiram = for a long time; saH RaaghavaH = that Rama; lokanaathaH = the lord of worlds; saMkruddhaH = greatly enraged; na = will not (spare you).
"Drawn out Vajrayudha, the weapon of Indra may spare some one like you. Lord of death may spare you for a long time. That Rama the lord of worlds greatly enraged will not spare you."
rāmasya dhanuṣaḥ śabdaṃ śroṣyasi tvaṃ mahāsvanam || 5-21-24
śatakratuvisṛṣṭasya nirghoṣamaśaneriva |
24. nirghoshhamiva = like the great sound; ashaneH = of Vajrayudha; shatakratuvisR^iSTaya = hurled by Indra; tvam shroshhyasi = you will hear; mahaasvanam = a loud sound; shabdam = which is sonorous; raamasya dhanushhaH = of Ram's bow.
"Like the great sound of Vajrayudha hurled by Indra, you will hear a loud sound which is sonorous of Rama's bow."
iha śīgraṃ suparvāṇo jvalitāsya ivoragāḥ || 5-21-25
iṣavo nipatiṣyanti rāmalakṣmaṇalakṣaṇāḥ |
25. ishhavaH = arrows; suparvaaNaH = with good nodes;prajvalitaasyaaH = with blazing tips; uragaaH iva = like snakes; raamalakshmaNa lakshaNaaH = with characteristic signs of Rama and Lakshmana nipatishhyanti = will fall down; iha = here (in Lanka); shiighram = soon.
"Arrows with good nodes, with blazing tips, like snakes, with characteristic signs of Rama and Lakshmana will fall down soon here in Lanka."
rakṣāṃsi parinighnastaḥ puryāmasyāṃ samantataḥ || 5-21-26
asampātaṃ kariṣyanti patantaḥ kaṅkavāsasaḥ |
26. kaN^ka vaasasaH = arrows tied with the plumes of an eagle; parivighnantaH = will hit; rakshaaMsi = ogres; samantataH = everywhere; asyaam puryaam = in this city; karishhyanti = (and) will make; asaMpaatam = without space.
"Arrows tied with the plumes of an eagle will hit ogres everywhere in this city and will cover the city without space."
rākṣasendramahāsarpān sa rāmagaruḍo mahān || 5-21-27
uddhariṣyati vegena vainateya ivoragān |
27. saH = That; raamagarudaH = Garuda called Rama; vegena = speedily; uddharishhyati = will pluck; raakshasendramahaasarpaan = the great serpents called ogres; vainateyaH uragaaniva = like Vainateya (plucking) the serpents.
"That Garuda called Rama speedily will pluck the great serpants called ogres like Vainateya plucking the serpants."
apaneṣyati māṃ bhartā tvattaḥ śīghramarindamaḥ || 5-21-28
asurebhyaḥ śriyaṃ dīptāṃ viṣṇustribhiriva kramaiḥ |
28. bhartaa = my husband;ariMdamaH = the destoyer of foes; maam apaneshhyati = will take me away; tvattaH = from you; vishhNuH iva = like Lord Vishnu; tribhiH kramaiH = with three steps; diiptaam shriyam = (taking away) brilliant prosperity; asurebhyaH = from Asuras.
"My husband who is a destroyer of foes will take me away from you like Lord Vishnu with three steps taking away the brilliant prosperity from Asuras."
janasthāne hatasthāne nihate rakṣasāṃ bale || 5-21-29
aśaktena tvayā rakṣaḥ kṛtametadasādhu vai |
29. rakshaH = O ogre!;rakshasaam bale = (while the) army of ogres; nihate = was being killed; janasthaane = at Janasthana; hatasthaane = (which became) land of the dead; etat = this; asaadhu = bad (deed); kR^itam vai = has been done; tvayaa = by you; ashaktena = being powerless;.
"O ogre! While the army of ogres was being killed at Janasthana which became the land of dead, this bad deed has been done by you being powerless."
aśramam tu tayoḥ śūnyaṃ praviśya narasimhayoḥ || 5-21-30
gocaraṃ gatayorrbhātrorapanītā tvayādhama |
30. adhama = O lowest one!; tayoH bhraatroH = (when) those brothers; gatayoH = were gone; gocharam = out; pravishya = entering; aashramam = hermitage; shuunyam = without them; apanitaa = I have been abducted; tvayaa = by you.
"O lowest one! When those brothers were gone out, entering hermitage without them, I have been abducted by you."
na hi gandhamupāghrāya rāmalakṣmaṇayostvayā || 5-21-31
śakyaṃ saṃdarśane sthātuṃ śunā śārdūlayoriva |
31. shaarddulayoriva = like tiger; shunaa = by dog; upaaghraaya = smelling; gandham = scent;raamalakshmaNayoH = of Rama and Lakshmana; na shakyam hi = it is indeed not possible; tvayaa = by you; sthaatum = to stand; saMdarshane = (in their) view.
"Like tiger by dog, smelling the scent of Rama and Lakshmana it is indeed not possible by you to stand in their view."
tasya te vigrahe tābhyāṃ yugagrahaṇamasthiram || 5-21-32
vṛtrasyevendrabāhubhyāṃ bāhorekasya vigrahe |
32. te = To you; tasya = like that; vigrahe = enmity; tabhyaam = with those two; vigrahe iha = is like the enmity; ekasya bahoH = of one hand; vR^itrasya = of Vruttasura; indra baahubhyaam = with two hands of Indra; asthiram = (and) it is not persevering; yugagrahanam = (for you) to be an opponent (with them).
"To you like that, enmity with those two is like the enmity of one hand of Vruttasura with two hands of Indra and it is not persevering for you to be an opponent with them."
kṣipraṃ tava sa nātho me rāmaḥ saumitriṇā saha || 5-21-33
toyamalpamivādityaḥ prānānādāsyate śaraiḥ |
33. me naathaH = my husband; saH raamaH = that Rama; saumitriNaa saha = together with Lakshmana; adaasyate = will take away; sharaiH = with His arrows; tava praaNaan = your life; kshipram = quickly;aadityaH iva = like the sun;alpam toyam = (drying) shallow water.
"My husband that Rama together with Lakshmana will take away with His arrows your life quickly like the sun drying up shallow water."
giriṃ kuberasya gato.athavālayam |
sabhāṃ gato vā varuṇasya rājñaḥ |
asaṃśayaṃ dāśaratherna mokṣyase |
mahādrumaḥ kālahato.aśaneriva || 5-21-34
34. kaala hataH = Killed by time; kuberasya girim gatam = (even if you) go to the mountain of Kubera; athavaa = or; aalyam = to his house; gato vaa = or if you go; sabhaam = to the assembly; raajJNaH varunasya = of King Varuna; asaMshayaM = without doubt; na mokshyase = you will not be released; daasharatheH = from Rama; mahaadrumaH = like a great tree; ashani = (from) thunderbolt.
"Killed by time even if you go to the mountain of Kubera or to his house or if you go to the assembly of King Varuna, without doubt you will not be relased from Rama like a great tree from thunderbolt."
- - -
ityārṣe śrīmadrāmāyaṇe ādikāvye sundarakāṇḍe ekaviṃśaḥ sargaḥ
|Top of Page||1||2||3||4|
© June, 2005, Kishore Kopalle