In this chapter Ravana entices Seetha with wealth, gems, sovereignty over all wives of Ravana.
sa tām parivṛtāṃ dīnāṃ nirānandāṃ tapasvinīm |
sākārairmadhurairvākyairnyadarśayata rāvaṇaḥ || 5-20-1
1. raavaNaH = Ravana; nyadarshayata = conveyed; saakaaraiH vaakyaiH = in significant words; taam = (to) that Seetha; parivR^itaam = surrounded (by ogresses); diinaam = (who was) wretched; nirranandaam = without happiness; tapasviniim = (and) pitiable.
Ravana conveyed in significant words to that Seetha who was surrounded by ogresses, wretched, without happiness and pitiable.
māṃ dṛṣṭvā nāganāsoru gūhamānā stanodaram |
adarśanamivātmānaṃ bhayānnetuṃ tvamiccasi || 5-20-2
2. naagavaasoru = (You are) With thighs like the trunk of an elephant; maam dR^ishhTvaa = seeing me; guhamaanaa = covering; stanodaram = (your) breasts and belly; tvam = you; ichchhasiiva = desire; netum = obtaining; adarshanam = disappearence; aatmaanam = of self; bhayaat = due to fear.
"You are with thighs like the trunk of an elephant. Seeing me covering your breasts and belly, you desire obtaining disappearance of self due to fear.
kāmaye tvām viśālākṣi bahumanyasva māṃ priye |
sarvāṅgaguṇasampanne sarvalokamanohare || 5-20-3
3. vishaalakshii = O wide eyed one!; sarvaaN^ga guNa sampannaa = you are endowed with bodily excellencies; sarva loka manohare = pleasing to all people; tvaam kaamaye = I desire you; priye = O lovable one!; maam bahumayasva = respect me.
"O wide eyed one! You are endowed with bodily excellencies, pleasing to all people. I desire you. O lovable one! respect me."
neha kecinmanuṣyā vā rākṣasāḥ kāmarūpiṇaḥ |
vyapasarpatu te sīte bhayam mattaḥ samutthitam || 5-20-4
4. seethe = O Seetha!; iha = here; kechit na = there are no; manushhyaaH = humans; kaamaruupiNaH raakshasaaH vaa = or ogres with ability to change form; te bhayam = (Let)your fear; samutthitam = caused; mattaH = due to me; vyapasarpatu = be removed;
"O Seetha! Here there are no humans or ogres with ability to change form. Let your fear caused due to me be removed."
svadharmo rakṣasāṃ bhīru sarvathaiva na saṃśayaḥ |
gamanaṃ vā parastrīṇām haraṇam sampramathya vā || 5-20-5
5. bhiiru = O one with fear; gamanam vaa = obtaining parastriiNaam = women belonging to others; haraNam vaa = or abducting; saMpramathya = by force; svadharmaH = is the righteous deed; rakshasaam = for ogres; sarvathaiva = by all means; saMshayaH na = there is no doubt (in this).
"O one with fear! Obtaining women belonging to others or abducting by force is the righteous deed for ogres by all means. There is no doubt in this."
evaṃ caitadakāmāṃ tu na tvāṃ sprakṣyāmi maithili |
kāmam kāmaḥ śarīre me yathākāmaṃ prārtatām || 5-20-6
6. maithili = O Seetha!; etat evam = It is like this; kaamaH = desire; kaamam = very much; yathaa kaamam pravartataam = may behave in whatever way it likes; me = in my; shariire = body; tu = but; na spR^ikshyaami = I will not touch; tvaam = you; akaamaam = without lust.
"O Seetha! It is like this. desire very much may behave in whatever way it likes in my body. But I will not touch you without lust."
devi neha bhayam kāryam mayi viśvasihi priye |
praṇayasva ca tatvaena maivam bhūḥ śikalālasā || 5-20-7
7. devi = O queen (of my heart)!;iha = in this matter; bhayam na kkaryam = fear is not to be made; priye = O love! vishvasihi = believe; mayi = in me; tattvena = truly; praNayasva = become with love; maa bhuuH = do not become; shokalaalasaa = absorbed in sorrow;evam = like this.
"O queen of my heart! In this matter fear is not to be made. O love! Believe in me. Truly become with love. Do not become absorbed in sorrow like this."
ekaveṇī dharāśayyā dhyānaṃ malinamambaram |
asthāne.apyupavāsaśca naitānyaupayikāni te || 5-20-8
8. ekaveNii = single plait; dharaashayya = the bed of ground; dhyaanam = meditation; malinam ambaram = dirty cloth; asthaane upavaasashcha = fasting at an inappropriate time; etaani = all these; na aupayikaani = are not useful; te = to you.
"Single plait, the bed of ground,mediation,dirty cloth,fasting at an inappropriate time - all these are not useful to you."
vicitrāṇi ca mālyāni candanānyagarūṇi ca |
vividhāni ca vāsāṃsi dvyānyābharaṇāni ca || 5-20-9
mahārhaṇi ca pānāni śayanānyāsanāni ca |
gītam nṛttaṃ ca vādyaṃ ca labha maṃ prāpya maithili || 5-20-10
9; 10. maithilii = O Seetha!; praapya = getting; maam = me; labha = gain; vichitraaNi maalyaani = wonderful garlands; chandanaani = sandals; agaruuNi = Agallochums; vividhaani vaasaaMsi cha = a variety of cloths; divyaani aabharaNaani cha = and best ornaments; mahaarhaaNi paanaani = the best drinks; shayanaani = beds; aasanaani cha = and seats; giitam = song; nR^ittam cha = and dance; vaadyam cha = and musical instrument.
"O Seetha! After getting me gain wonderful garlands, sandals, Agallochums, a variety of cloths and best ornaments, the best drinks, beds and seats, song and dance and musical instrument."
strīratnamasi maivam bhūḥ kuru gātreṣu bhūṣaṇam |
māṃ prāpya hi katham nu syāstvamanarhā suvigrahe || 5-20-11
11. strii ratnma asi = You are a gem among women; maa bhuuH = do not be; evam = like this; kuru = make; bhuushhaNam = decoration; aatrshhu = on your limbs; suvigrahe = O one with a good body!; praapya getting; maam = me; katham nu = how (will you); syyaH = become; anarhaaH = unsuited (for luxuries).
"You are a gem among women. Do not be like this. Make decoration on your limbs. O one with a good body! Getting me how will you become unsuited for luxuries?"
idam te cāru samjātam yauvanam vyativartate |
yadatītaṃ punarnaiti srotaḥ śīghramapāmiva || 5-20-12
12. idam = this; te yauvanum = your youth; chaaru saMjaatam = born beautifully; vyativartate = is passing away; yat = Whichever (youth); siighram = (is) quickly; atiitam = passing away; naiti = will not come back; punaH = again; apaam srotaH iva = like the flow of water.
"This your youth born beautifully is passing away, whichever youth is quickly passing away will not come back again like the flow of water."
tvāṃ kṛtvoparato manye rūpakartā sa viśvasṛk |
na hi rūpopamā tvanyā tavāsti śubhadarśane || 5-20-13
13. shubha darshane = O one with auspicious appearance!; ruupa kartaa = the creator of form; saH = that; visvasR^ik = creator of the world; Lord Brahma; kR^itvaa = made; tvaam = you; uparataH = and stopped; manye = I think so; anyaa = Another; naasti hi = is indeed not; tava ruupopamaa = equal to your appearance.
"O one with auspicious appearance! The creator of form, that creator of the world, Lord Brahma has made you and stopped - I think thus. There is not another who is equal to your appearance."
tvām samāasādya vaidehi rūpayauvanaśālinīm |
kaḥ pumānativarteta sākṣādapi pitāmahaḥ || 5-20-14
14. vaidehii = O Seetha!; samaasaadya = obtaining; tvaam = you; ruupayauvanashaaliniim = endowed with beauty and youth; kaH pumaan = which man; sakshaat pitaamahaH = (even if he is) Lord Brahma himself; ativarteta = will disregard (you).
"O Seetha! Obtaining you endowed with beauty and youth, which man even if he is Lord Brahma himself will disregard (leave) you."
yadyatpaśyāmi te gātram śītāṃśusadṛśānane |
tasmiṃstasmin pṛdhuśroṇi cakṣurmama nibadhyate || 5-20-15
15. shiitaaMshusadR^ishhanane = O one with face like that of moon!; pR^ithushroNi = O one with broad hips!; te = your; yadyat = whichever; gaatram = limb; pashyaami = I see; mama = my; chakshuH = eye; nibadhyate = is getting tied; tasmin tasmin = in that that (limb).
"O one with face like that of moon! O one with broad hips! Your whichever limb I see, my eye is getting tied in that that limb."
bhava maithili bhāyā me mohamenam visarjaya |
bahvīnāmuttamastrīṇāmāhṛtānāmitastataḥ || 5-20-16
sarvāpāmeva bhadraṃ te mamāgramahiṣī bhava |
16. maithilii = O Seetha!; bhava = become; me = my; bhaaryaa = wife; visarjaya = leave; evam = this; moham = ignorance; sarvasaameva = In all; mama = my;bahviinaam = many; uttama strrinaam = best women; aahR^itaanaam = brought; itastataH = from here and there; bhava = become; agramahishhii = foremost consort; te bhadram = (let there be) auspicious to you.
"O Seetha! Become my wife. Leave this ignorance. In all my many best women brought from here and there, become foremost consort. Let there be auspicious to you."
lokebho yāni ratnāni sampramathyāhṛtāni vai || 5-20-17
tāni me bhīru sarvāṇi rājyam caitadahaṃ ca te |
17. bhiiru = O timid one!; raani ratnaani = Whatever gems; aahR^itaani vai = (that have been)brought; saMpramadhya = by force; taani sarvaaNi = all those; me = my; etat = this; raajyam = kingdom; aham cha = and also myself; te = (belong to) you.
"O timid one! Whatever gems that have been brought by force, all those, my this kingdom and also myself belong to you."
vijitya pṛthivīṃ sarvāṃ nānānagaramālinīm || 5-20-18
janakāya pradāsyāmi tava hetorvilāsini |
18. vilaasini = O charmful lady!; vijitya = conquering; sarvaam pR^ithiviim = the entire earth; naanaa nagara maaliniim = together with chain of various cities; tava hetoH = for your sake; pradaasyaami = I can give; janakaaya = to king Janaka.
"O charmful lady! Conquering the entire earth together with chain of various cities for your sake, I can give to king Janaka.
neha paśyāmi loke.anyam yo me pratibalo bhavet || 5-20-19
paśya me sumahadvīryamapratidvandvamāhave |
19. iha loke = in this world; na pashyaami = I do not see; anyam = another one; yaH = who; pratibalaH = is equally matched (to me); pashya = see; me = my; sumahat = very great; viiryam = power.
"In this world I do not see another one who is equally matched to me. See my very great power."
asakṛtsamyuge bhagnā mayā vimṛditadhvajāḥ || 5-20-20
aśaktāḥ pratyanīkeṣu sthātuṃ mama surāsurāḥ |
20. suraasuraaH = Suras and Asuras; bhagnaaH = defeated; vimR^idita dhvajaaH = with broken flags; mayaa = by me; saMyuge = in war; asakR^it = many times; ashaktaaH = are powerless; sthaatum = to stand; pratyaniikeshhu = (in an army)against met;mama = of me.
"Suras and Asuras defeated with broken flags by me in war many times are powerless to stand in an army against me."
iccha māṃ kriyatāmadya pratikarma tavottamam || 5-20-21
saprabhāṇyavasajyantāṃ tavāṃge bhūṣaṇāni ca |
sādhu paśyāmi te rūpam samyuktaṃ pratikarmaṇā || 5-20-22
21; 22. iccha = desire; maam = me; adya = now; tava = (let) your; uttamam = best; pratikarma = decoration; kriyataam = be made; tava = on your; aN^ge = body; bhushhaNaani = (let) ornaments also; saprabhaaNi = with great brilliance; avasajya = be fit; saadhu pashyaami = I will see well; tava = your ruupam = form; pratikarmaNaa yuktam = together with decoration.
"Desire me! Now let your best decoration be made. On your body let ornaments also with great brilliance be fit. I will see well your form together with decoration."
pratikarmābhisamyuktā dākṣiṇyena varānane |
bhumkṣva bhogānyathākāmaṃ piba bhīru ramasva ca || 5-20-23
23. varaane = O one with best face!; bhiiru = O timid one! daakshiNyena = with consideration; pratikarmaabhi saMyuktaa = together with decoration; bhuMksva = enjoy; bhogaan = luxuries; yathaa kaamam = according to your desire; piba = drink; ramasva cha = Rejoice
"O one with best face! O timid one! With consideration enjoy luxuries according to your desire together with decoration. Drink. Rejoice."
yatheccham ca prayaccha tvaṃ pṛthivīm vā dhanāni ca |
lalasva mayi visrabdhā dhṛṣṭamājñāpayasva ca || 5-20-24
24. tvam = you; prayaccha = donate; priR^thiviim = land; dhanaani cha = and wealth; yathecchham = according to wish; visrabhdaa = with confidence; lalasva = behave freely; mayi = in my matter; dhR^ishhtam = fearlessly; aajJNaapayasva cha = order also.
"You donate land and wealth according to your wish. With confidence behave freely in my matter. Fearlessly order also."
matrpasādāllalantyāśca lalantāṃ bāndhavāstava |
buddhiṃ mamānupaśya tvam śriyam bhadre yaśaśca me || 5-20-25
25. matprasaadaat = By my grace; lalantyaaH = (with your) sporting; tava = your bandhavaaH = relatives; lalantaam = (will also) sport; bhadre = O auspicious one!; tvam = you; anupashya = see; mama = my; buddhim = wealth; me yashashcha = and my fame.
" By my grace with your sporting, tour relatives will also sport. O auspicious one! You see my wealth and my fame."
kiṃ kariṣyasi rāmeṇa subhage cīravāsasā |
nikṣiptavijayo rāmo gataśrīrvanagocaraḥ || 5-20-26
vratī sthaṇḍilaśāyī ca śaṅke jīvati vā na vā |
26. subhage = O beautiful one!;kim = what; karishhyasi = can you do; raameNa = with Rama; chiira vasasaa = clad in tatters; nikshipta vijayaH = with lost hope of victory; gatashrii = with gone fortune; vana gocharaH = roaming in forests; vratii = observing austerities; sthaNDilashayii cha = and also sleeping on floor; shaN^ke = I doubt; raamaH = (if) Rama; jiivati = (is) alive or; na vaa = not.
"O beautiful one! What can you do with Rama clad in tatters, with lost hope of victory, with gone fortune. Roaming in forests, observing austerities and also sleeping on floor, I doubt if Rama is alive or not."
na hi vaidehi rāṃstvāṃ draṣṭuṃ vā pyupalassyate || 5-20-27
purobalākairasitairme ghorjyotsnāmivāvṛtām |
27. vaidehii = O Seetha!; raamaH = Rama; na hi upalapsyate = indeed does not get opportunity; drashhTum vaapi tvaam = even to see you; jyotsnaamiva = like moonlight; aavR^itaam = covered; asitaiH meghaiH = by dark clouds; purobalaakaiH = with cranes at the front.
"O Seetha, Rama indeed does not get opportunity even to see you like moonlight covered by dark clous with cranes at the front."
na cāpi mama hastāttvāṃ prāptumarhati rāghavaḥ || 5-20-28
hiraṇyakaśipuḥ kīrtimindrahastagatāmiva |
28. kiirtimiva = like keerthi; hiraNyakashipuH = (got by) Hiranyakasipu; indrahastagataam = from Indra's hand; raaghavaH = Rama; na chaapi arhati = is not suited; praaptum = to get; tvaam = you; mama hastaat = from my hand.
"Like Keerthi got by Hiranyakasipu from Indra's hand, Rama is not suited to get you from my hands."
cārusmite cārudati cārunetre vilāsini || 5-20-29
mano harasi me bhīru suparṇaḥ panngaṃ yathā |
29. chaarusmite = O One with a beautiful smile!; chaarudati = O one with beautiful teeth!; chaarunetre = O one with beautiful eyes!; vilaasinii = O charmful one!; bhiiru = O timid one!; harasi = you are stealing; me manaH = my heart; pannagaM yathaa = like a serpent; suparNaH = (stolen) by Garuda.
"O one with a beautiful smile! O one with beautiful teeth!O one with beautiful eyes! O charmful one! O timid one! You are stealing my heart like a serpent stolen by Garuda.
kliṣṭakauśeyavasanām tanvīmapyanalamkṛtām || 5-20-30
tvāṃ dṛṣṭvā sveṣu dāreṣu ratiṃ nopalabhāmyaham |
30. kliSTa kausheya vasanaam = (You are) wearing a silk cloth in a bad condition; tanviim = (you are) emaciated; analaMkR^itaamapi = Even though you have not decorated; dR^ishhTvaa = seeing; tvaam = you; aham = I; nopalabhaami = am not getting; ratim = happiness; sveshhu daareshhu = in my wives.
"You are Wearing a silk cloth in a bad condition. You are emaciated. Even though you have not decorated, seeing you I am not getting happiness in my wives."
antḥ puravināsinyaḥ striyaḥ sarvaguṇānvitāḥ || 5-20-31
yāvantyo mama sarvāsāmaiśvaram kuru jānaki |
31. jaanaki = O Seetha!; yaavantyaH = whovever; striyaH = women; mama antaHpura nivaasinyaH = living in my gynaeceum; sarvaguNaanvitaaH = endowed with all virtues; kuru = have; aishvaryam = sovereignty; sarvaasaam = on all of them.
"O Seetha! whoever women living in gynaeceum endowed with all virtues, have sovereignty on all of them."
mama hyasitakeśānte trailokyapravarāḥ striyaḥ || 5-20-32
tāstvāṃ paricariṣyanti śriyamapsaraso yathā |
32. asitakeshhante = O one with black hair! mama = my; taaH = those; striyaH = women; apsarasaH = apsarasas; trailokyapravaraaH = best among the three worlds; paricharishhyanti = will serve; tvaam = you; shriyam yathaa = like the goddess of wealth.
"O one with black hair! My those women and apsarasas who are the best among the three worlds will serve you like the goddess of wealth."
yāni vaiśravaṇe subhru ratnāni ca dhanāni ca || 5-20-33
tāni lokāṃśca suśroṇi māṃ ca bhumkṣva yathāsukham |
33. sushroNi = O one with beautiful hips!; subhru = O one with beautiful eyebrows; bhunkshva = enjoy; yathaasukham = according to your comfort; yaani ratnaani = Whatever gems; dhanaani cha = and wealth; vaishravaNe = belonging to Kubera; taani = all those; lokaaMshcha = three worlds; maaM cha = and me;
"O one with beautiful hips! O one with beuatiful eyebrows! Enjoy according to your comfort whatever gems and wealth belonging to Kubera, all those three worlds and me."
na rāmastapasā devi na balena vikramaiḥ || 5-20-34
na dhanena mayā tulyastejasā yaśasāpi vā |
34. devii = O Seetha!; raamaH = Rama na tulyaH = is not equal; mayaa = to me; tapasaa = by austerity; na = not (equal); balaena cha = by might; na = not (equal); vikramaiH = by strength;na = not (equal) dhanena = by wealth; tejasaa = by brilliance; yashsaapi cha = and by fame.
"O Seetha! Rama is not equal to me by austerity, not equal by might; not equal by strength, not equal by wealth, by brilliance and by fame."
piba vihara ramasva bhuṃkṣva bhogān |
dhananicauam pradiśāmi medinīm ca |
mayi lala lalane yathāsukham tvam |
tvayi ca sametya lalantu bāndhavvaste || 5-20-35
35. lalane = O playful one!; pradishaami = I will give; dhananichayam = hordes of wealth; mediniim cha = and land; tvam = you; piba = drink; vihara = roam freely; ramasva = and play; bhunkshva = enjoy; bhogaan = luxuries; lala = sport; yathaasukham = = according to comfort; mayi = in me; te baandhavaaH = your relatives; lalantu = may sport; sametya = together; tvayi = in you.
"O playful one! I will give hordes of wealth and land. You drink. Roam freely and play. Enjoy luxuries. Sport according to comfort in me. Your relatives may sport together in you."
vihara mayā saha bhīru kānanāni || 5-20-36
36. bhiiru = O timid one!; kanakavimalahaarabhuushhinaaN^gii = with body decorated by gold colored; pure garlands; vihaara = roam; mayaa saha = with me; kaananaani = in forests; samudratiirajaani = born at sea shore;kusumita taru jaala saMtataani = filled with groups of flowered trees; bhramara yutaani = with humble bees
"O timid one! With body decorated with gold colored, pure garlands, roam with me in forests born at sea shore filled with groups of flowered trees and with humble bees."
- - -
ityārṣe śrīmadrāmāyaṇe ādikāvye sundarakāṇḍe vimṣaḥ sargaḥ
|Top of Page||1||2||3||4|
© May 2005, Kishore Kopalle