In this chapter Valmiki describes the plight of Seetha in Ashoka garden in detail.
tasminneva tataH kaale raajaputrii tvaninditaa |
ruupayauvanasampannaM bhuuShaNottamabhuuShitam || 5-19-1
tato dR^iShTvaiva vaidehii raavaNam raakshasaadhipam |
praavepata varaarohaa pravaate kadalii yathaa || 5-9-2
1; 2. tataH = Thereafter; tasmin kaale eva = at that time;vaidehii = Seetha; raajaputrii = a princess; aninditaa = without any blame; varaarohaa = of excellent limbs; praavepata = shook; kadalii yathaa = like a plantain tree; pravaate = in wind; dR^ishhTvaiva = on seeing; raavaNam = Ravana; raakshasaadhipam = the king of Rakshasas; ruupa yauvana sampannam = endowed with beauty and youth; bhuushaNotaama bhuushhitam = adorned with excellent ornaments.
Thereafter at that time Seetha a princess without any blame of excellent limbs shook like a plantain tree in wind on seeing Ravana the king of rakshasas endowed with beauty and youth adorned with excellent ornaments.
aacchhaadyodaramuurubhyaaM baahubhyaaM ca payodharau |
upaviShTaa vishaalaakShii rudantii varavarNinii || 5-19-3
3. vishaalaakshii = The wide eyed Seetha; varavarNinii = with excellent color; aachchhaadya = covering; udaram = stomach; uurubhyaam = with thighs; payodharau = breasts; baahubhyaam = with hands; upavisshTaa = sat down; rudantii = crying.
The wide eyed Seetha with excellent color covering stomach with thighs and breasts with hands sat down crying.
dashagriivastu vaidehiim rakShitaaM raakshasiigaNaiH |
dadarsha diinaam duHkhaartaaM naavaM sannaamivaarNave || 5-19-4
4. dashagriivastu = Ravana; dadarsha = saw; vaidehiim = Seetha;rakshitaam = protected; raakshasiigaNaiH = by batches of ogres; diinaam = (looking) miserable; duHkhaataam = being struck with grief; naavamiva = like a ship; sannaam = in danger; aarNave = in the sea;
Ravana saw Seetha protected by batches of ogres looking miserable being struck with grief like a ship in danger in the sea.
asaMvR^itaayaamaasiinaam dharaNyaam saMshitavrataam |
chinaaM prapatitaaM bhuumau shaakhaamiva vanaspateH || 5-19-5
5. aasiinaam = (Hanuma saw Seetha) sitting down;asamvR^itaam = on uncovered; dhaaraNyaam = land;samShitavrataan = with a firm resolve; vanaspateH shaakhaamiva = like a branch of a tree; prapatitaam = fallen down; bhumau = on earth; chinnam = being torn (from the tree).
Hanuma saw Seetha sitting down on uncovered land, with a firm resolve, like a branch of a tree fallen down on earth being torn from the tree.
malamaNDanacitraaN^giim maNDanaarhaamamaNDitaam |
mR^iNaalii paN^kadigdheva vibhaati na vibhaati ca || 5-19-6
6. malamaNDana chitraaN^giim = (Hanuma saw Seetha) With a strange body with dirt as an ornament; maNDanaarhaam = suitable to decorate with ornaments; amaNDittam = without any ornaments;vibhaati = shining; mR^iNaaliiva = like a lotus stem; paN^kadigdhaa = being covered with mud; na vibhaati cha = and also not shining
Hanuma saw Seetha with a stange body with dirt as ornament, who although suited to decorate with ornaments was without ornaments. Although She was shining like a lotus stem covered with mud, She was not shining also.
samiipam raajasimhasya raamasya viditaatmanaH |
saN^kalpahayasamyuktairyaantiimiva manorathaiH || 5-19-7
yaantiimiva = (Seetha) Was as though going;samiipam = near; raamasya = to Rama; raajasimhasya = a lion among kings; viditaatmanaH = with a famous personality; manorathaiH = with desires as chariot; samkalpahayasamyuktaiH = tied with thoughts as horses
Seetha was as though going near to Rama a lion among kings with a famous personality with desires as chariot tied with thoughts as horses.
shuShyantiim rudatiimekaaM dhyaanashokaparaayaNaam |
duHkhasyaantamapashyantiiM raamaaM raamamanuvrataam || 5-19-8
8. raamaam = (Seetha) a pleasant one; shhuShyanttim = was emaciated; rudatiim = was crying; ekaam = being alone; dhyaanashokaparaayaNaam = having surrendered to Her thoughts and sorrow; apashyantiim = not seeing; antam = the end; dukhasya = of grief;anuvrataam = following the will; raamam = of Rama.
Seetha a pleasant one, was emaciated, was crying, being alone having surrendered to Her thoughts and sorrow not seeing the end of grief, following the will of Rama.
cheShTamaanaaM tathaaviShTaaM pannagendravadhuumiva |
dhuupyamaanaam graheNeva rohiNiiM dhuumaketunaa || 5-19-9
9. tathaa = And also; pannagendravadhuumiva = (Seetha) was like great she-serpant; cheshhTamaanaam = writhing;aavishhTaam = under the spell of an incantation;rohiNiimiva = like Rohini; dhuupyamaanaam = being fumigated; dhuumaketunaa grahena = by a smoke colored planet called Ketu.
And also Seetha was like a great she-serpant writhing under the spell of an incantation. She was like Rohini being fumigated by a smoke colored planet called Ketu.
vR^ittashiilakule jaataamaacaaravati dhaarmike |
punaH sa.nskaaramaapannaaM jaataamiva ca duShkule || 5-19-10
10. jaataam = Being born; dhaarmike = in a virtuous; aachaaravati = traditional; vR^itta shiila kule = family with good conduct and character; aapannaam = getting; samskaaram = married; punaH = again; jaataamiva = (Seetha was) like being born; dushhkule = in a bad family
Being born in a virtuous traditional family with good conduct and character and getting married, Seetha appeared as if She was born in a bad family.
abhuutenaapavaadena kiirtiim nipatitaamiva |
amnaayaanaamayogena vidyaaM prashithilaamiva || 5-19-11
11. kiirtimiva = (Seetha was) like fame;nipatitaam = fallen down;abhuutena = (due to) false; apavaadena = blame;vidyaamiva = like education; prashithitaam = runied; ayogena = (due to) non conformity ;aamnaayaanaam = (of) learning by heart.
Seetha was like fame fallen down due to false blame. She was like education ruined due to lack of learning by heart.
sannaamiva mahaakiirtiM shraddhaamiva vimaanitaam |
prajJNaamiva parikShiiNaamaashaaM pratihataamiva || 5-19-12
12. sannam iva = (Seetha was) like deteriorated; mahaakiirtim = great fame; shraddaamiva = like faith; vimaanitaam = insulted; praJNaamiva = like an understanding; parikshiiNaam = grown feeble; aashaamiva = like hope; pratihataam = dulled.
Seetha was like deteriorated great fame,like insulted faith,like an understanding grown feeble, like dulled hope.
aayatiimiva vidhvastaamaajJNaaM pratihataamiva |
diiptaamiva dishaM kaale puujaamapahR^itaamiva || 5-19-13
13. aayatiimiva = (Seetha was) like expectation; vidhvastaam = destroyed; aajJNaamiva = like an order; pratihataam = flouted; diiptaam dishaamiva = like a blazing quarter; kaale = during a period of destruction; puujaamiva = like a worship; avahR^itaam = stolen;
Seetha was like an expectation destroyed, like an order flouted; like a blazing quarter during a period of destruction, like a worship stolen.
padminiimiva vidhvastaaM hatashuuraaM camuumiva |
prabhaamiva tamodhvastaamupakShiiNaamivaapagaam || 5-19-14
14. padminiimiva = (Seetha was) like a lotus; vidhvastaam = destroyed; chamuumiva = like an army; hata shuraam = with killed warriors; prabhaamiva = like light; tamodhvastaam = destroyed by darkness; apaagaamiva = like a river; upakshiiNaam = vanished.
Seetha was like a lotus destroyed, like an army with killed warriors, like light destroyed by darkness, like vanished river.
vediimiva paraamR^iShTaaM shaantaamagnishikhaamiva |
paurNamaasiimiva nishaaM raahugrastendumaNDalaam || 5-19-15
15. vediimiva = (Seetha was) like an altar; paraamR^ishhTaam = desecrated; agnishikhaamiva = like a tongue of fire; shantaam = gone out; paurNamaasiim nishaamiva = like a full moon night; raahugrastendumaNDalaam = with moon devoured by Rahu.
Seetha was like an altar desecrated, like a tongue of fire gone out, like a full moon night with moon devoured by Rahu.
utkR^iShTaparNakamalaaM vitraasitavihaN^gamaam |
hastihastaparaamR^iShTamaakulaaM padminiimiva || 5-19-16
16. padminiimiva = (Seetha was) like a lotus pond; aakulaam = agitated; utKR^ishhTapaNakamalaam = with torned out leaves and lotuses; hastihastaparaamR^ishhTaam = (being) roughly treated by the trunk of an elephant.
Seetha was like a lotus pond agitated with torned out leaves and lotuses, being roughly traeated by the trunk of an elephant.
patishokaaturaaM shuShkaaM nadiiM visraavitaamiva |
parayaa mR^ijayaa hiinaam kR^iShNapakshanishaamiva || 5-19-17
17. patishokaaturaam = Grieved for husband; nadiimiva = (Seetha was) like a river; shushhkaam = dried up; visraavitaam = (with water) caused to flow out; hiinaam = lacking; parayaa mR^ijayaa = best washing; kR^ishhNa paksha nishaamiva = like a new moon night.
Grieved for husband, Seetha was like a river which has dried uo with water caused to flow out lacking best washing, was like a new moon night.
sukumaariim sujaataaN^giiM ratna garbhagR^ihochitaam |
tapyamaanaamivoShNena mR^iNaaliimachiroddhR^itaam || 5-19-18
18. sukumaariim = (Seetha was) a delicate one; sujaataN^giim = with well built limbs; ratnagarbhagR^ihochitaam = accustomed to houses full of diamonds; tapyamaanaam = being tormented; ushhNena = by heat; mR^iNaaliimiva = like a lotus fibre; achiroddhR^itaam = uprooted short time back.
Seetha was a delicate one with well built limbs, accustomed to houses full of diamonds, being tormented by heat, like a lotus fibre uprooted short time back.
gR^ihiitaamaaLitaaM stambhe yuuthapena vinaakR^itaam |
niHshvasantiiM suduHkhaartaaM gajaraajavadhuumiva || 5-19-19
19. gajaraajavadhuumiva = (Seetha was) Like a she-elephant; gR^ihiitaam = captured; aaLitaam = tied; stambhe = to a pillar; kR^itena = made; yuudhapena vinaa = (to be) without the leader of herd; niHshvasantiim = sighing; suduHkhartaam = very much tormented by grief.
Seetha was like a she-elephant captured and tied to a pillar, made to be without the leader of herd, sighing, very much tormented by grief.
ekayaa diirghayaa veNyaa shobhamaanaamayatnataH |
niilayaa niiradaapaaye vanaraajyaa mahiimiva || 5-19-20
20. diirghayaa = with a long; ekayaa = single; veNyaa = plait;shobhamaanaam = shining; ayatnataH = without effort; mahiimiva = (Seetha) was like the earth; niilayaa vanaraajyaa = with dark groups of trees; niiradaapaaye = at the end of rainy season.
With a long single plait, shining without effort, Seetha was like the earth with dark groups of trees at the end of rainy season.
upavaasena shokena dhyaanena ca bhayena cha |
parikShiiNaaM kR^ishaaM diinaamalpaahaaraaM tapodhanaam || 5-19-21
21. parikshiiNaam = wasted; kRishaam = emaciated; upavaasena = due to fasting; shokena = due to sorrow; dhyaanena = due to thought; bhayena cha = and due to fear; alpaahaaraam = (Seetha) was with limited food; tapodhanaam = (and) with austerity as wealth.
Wasted, emaciated due to fasting, due to sorrow, due to thought and due to fear, Seetha was with limited food and with austerity as wealth.
aayaacamaanaam duHkhaartaaM praaJNjaliM devataamiva |
bhaavena raghumukhyasya dashagriivaparaabhavam || 5-19-22
22. devataamiva = (Seetha was) like a celestial being; duHkhaartaam = tormented by grief; bhavena = by thought; praaN^jalim = with joined palms; ayaachamaanaam = desiring; dashagriiva paraabhavam = defeat of Ravana; raghu mukhyasya = (at the hands of) Sri Rama.
Seetha was like a celestial being, tormented by grief and by thought with joined palms, desiring the defeat of Ravana at the hands of Sri Rama
samiikShamaaNaaM rudatiimaninditaaM |
anuvrataaM raamamatiiva maithiliiM |
pralobhayaamaasa vadhaaya raavaNaH || 5-19-23
23. raavanaH = Ravana; pralobhayaamaasa = (was trying) to allure; vadhaaya = (and threatening) death ( to Seetha) ;samiikshamaaNaam = who was looking at every direction; rudatiim = crying; aninditaam = without blame; supakshmataamraayata shuklalochanaam = with good eye lids and reddish and white eyes;atiiva anuvrataam = with an excessive vow to follow; raamam = Sri Rama;
Ravana was trying to allure and threatening death to Seetha who was looking at every direction, crying, without blame, with good eye lids and reddish and white eyes, with an excessive vow to follow Sri Rama.
- - -
ityaarShe shriimadraamaayaNe aadikaavye sundarakaaNDe ekonaviMshaH sargaH
|Top of Page||1||2||3||4|
© May 2005, Kishore Kopalle
File transported by FREE Go FTP Client