In this chapter Hanuma sees Ravana entering Ashoka garden with a retinue of his wives following him.
tathaa viprekshamaaNasya vanam puShpitapaadapam |
vichinvatashcha vaidehiim kiMchiccheShaa nishaabhavat || 5-18-1
1. nishaa = the night; abhavat = became; kiMchichheshaa = a little remaning; tathaa viprekshamaaNasya = while (Hanuma) searched like that; vaidehiim = Seetha; vanam = in the garden; pushhpitapaadapam = with flowers in blossom;
A little of the night was left while Hanuma was searching like that for Seetha in the garden with flowers in blossom.
ShaDaN^gavedaviduShaam kratupravarayaajinaam |
shushraava brahmaghoShaan sa viraatre brahmarakshasaam || 5-18-2
2. saH = That Hanuma; shushraava = heard; brahma ghoshhaan = Vedic sounds; viraatre = early in the morning; brahmaraakshasaam = of Brahma Rakshasas;shhadaN^ga veda vidushhaam = well versed in six parts of Vedas; kratu pravara yaajinaam = who performed excellent sacrifices;
That Hanuma heard Vedic sounds early in the morning of Brahma Rakshasas well versed in six parts of Vedas and those who performed excellent sacrifices.
atha maN^galavaaditrashabdaiH shrutimanoharaiH |
prabudhyata mahaabaahurdashagriivo mahaabalaH || 5-18-3
3. atha = Thereafter; dasagriivaH = Ravana; mahaa baahuH = with great arms; mahaa balaH = with great prowess; praabudhyata = was woken; mangalavaaditra shabdaiH = by the sounds of various auspicious musical instruments; shrutimanoharaiH = pleasing to the ear.
Thereafter Ravana with great arms and great prowess was woken by the sounds of various auspicious musical instruments pleasing to the ear.
vibudhya tu yathaakaalam raakshasendraH prataapavaan |
srastamaalyaambaradharo vaidehiimanvacintayaat || 5-18-4
4. raakshasendraH = The king of rakshasas; prataapavaan = with great might; vibudhya = woke up; yathaakaalam = at the appropriate time; srasta maalyaambara dharaH = wearing slippery flower garlands; anvachintayat = remembered; videhiim = about Seetha.
The king of rakshasas with great might woke up at the appropriate hour wearing slippery flower garlands remembered about Seetha.
bhR^ishaM niyuktastasyaam ca madanena madotkaTaH |
na sa taM raakshasaH kaamaM shashaakaatmani guuhitum || 5-18-5
5. tasyaam = In that Seetha's matter; niyuktaH = directed; bHR^isham = a lot; madanena = by the god of love; madotkaTaH = excited by passion; saH raakshasaH = that Rakshasa; na shasaaka = was not capable; guuhitum = to suppress; aatmani = in self; tam kaamam = that desire.
In that Seetha's matter, directed a lot by the god of love and excited by passion, that Rakshasa was not capable to suppress in self that desire.
sa sarvaabharaNairyukto bibhacchhriyamanuttamaam |
taaM nagairbahubhirjuShTaam sarvapuShpaphalopagaiH || 5-18-6
6. yuktaH = together with; sarvaabharaNaiH = all ornaments; bibhrat = wearing; anuttamaam shriyam = great glory; saH = that Ravana; (entered) that Ashoka garden; jushhTaam = having; bahubhiH nagaiH = a lot of trees; sarvapushhpaphalopagaiH = with all fruits and flowers.
Together with all ornaments wearing great glory that Ravana entered that Ashoka garden having a lot of trees with all fruits and flowers.
vR^itaaM puShkariNiibhishca naanaapuShpopashobhitaam |
sadaamadaishcha vihagairvichitraam paramaadbhutaam || 5-18-7
7. (Ravana entered that Ashoka garden) paramaadbhutaam = a great wonderful one; vR^itaam = together; pushhkariNiibhiH = with lakes; naanaa pushhpopashobitaam = shone by various flowers; vichitraam = brilliant;vihagaiH = with birds; sadaa madaiH = always in rut.
Ravana entered that great wonderful Ashoka garden together with lakes, shone by various flowers, brilliant with birds always in rut.
iihaamR^igaishcha vividhairjuShTaaM DR^iShTimanoharaiH |
viithiiH saMprekshamaaNashcha maNikaaJNcanatoraNaaH || 5-18-8
naanaamR^igagaNaakiirNaaM phalaiH prapatitairvR^itaam |
ashokavanakaameva praavishatsaMtatadrumaam || 5-18-9
8; 9. praavishat = (Ravana) entered; ashokavanikaameva = Ashoka garden; saMprekshamaaNashcha = seeing;maNikaaN^chana toranaaH = archways of gold and gems; jushhTaam = crowded; iihaamR^igaishcha = by artificial deer; vividhaiH = of various varieties; dR^ishhTimanoharaiH = ravishing the eyes and mind; naanaamR^igagaNaakiirNaam = filled with animals of various kinds; vR^itaam = together; prapatitaiH phalaiH = with fallen fruits;samtatadrumaam = full of trees.
Ravana entered Ashoka garden seeing archways of gold and gems crowded by artificial deer of various kinds ravishing eyes and mind, filled with animals of various kinds, together with fallen fruits and full of trees.
aN^ganaashatamaatraM tu taM vrajantamanuvrajat |
mahendramiva paulastyamM devagandharvayoShitaH || 5-18-10
10. vrajantam = while going; aN^ganaashatamaatram = only a hundred of women;anuvrajat = followed; tam paulastyam = that Ravana; devagandharvayoshitaH = like Deva and Gandharva women; mahendram = (following) Indra.
While He was going only a hundred of women followed that Ravana like Deva and Gandharva women following Indra.
diipikaaH kaaJNcaniiH kaashchijjagR^ihustatra yoShitaH |
vaalavyajanahastaashcha taalavR^intaani chaaparaaH || 5-18-11
11. tatra = there; kaashchit = some; yoshhitaH = women; jagR^iH = bore; diipikaaH = lamps; kaaN^chaniiH = of gold; aparaaH = some others; taalavR^intaani = (carried) chowries vaalavyajana hastaashcha = (some others had) fans of Palmyra leaves in their hands.
There some women bore lamps of gold; some others carried chowries; some others had fans of Palmyra leaves in their hands.
kaaJNchanairapi bhR^iN^gaarairjahruH salilamagrataH |
maNDalaagaan brusiiMshchaapi gR^ihyaanyaaH pR^iShThato yayuH || 5-18-12
12. (Some women) juhruH = carried; salilam = water; bhR^ingaaraiH = in small vessels; kaaN^chaniH = of gold; anyaaH = some others; pR^ishhThataH yayuH = followed in the back; gR^ihya = taking; brusiiMshchaiva = pillows; maNDalaagraan = with circular ends
Some women carried water in small vessels of gold; some others followed in the back taking pillows with circular ends.
kaachidratnamayiiM sthaaliiM puurNaaM paanasya braajatam |
dakshiNaa dakshiNenaiva tadaa jagraaha paaNinaa || 5-18-13
13. kaachit = one; bhaaminii = woman; dakshinaa = to the right (of Ravana); jagraaH = held; dakshinenaiva paaNinaa = with her right hand; sthaaliim = a vesel; paanasya = of liqour; ratnamayiim = with gem stones; puurNaam = full (of liqour)
One woman to the right of Ravana held with her right hand a vessel with gem stones filled with liqour.
raajahaMsapratiikaashaM chatraM puurNashashiprabham |
sauvarNadaNDamaparaa gR^ihiitvaa pR^iShThato yayau || 5-18-14
14. aparaa = another (woman); pR^ishhthataH yayau = went at back; gR^ihiitvaa = taking; chhatram = an umbrella; raajahamsapratiikaasham = equalling a royal swan; puurnashasiprabhaam = with the radiance of full moon; sauvarNadaNDam = with a golden handle.
Another woman went at back taking an umbrella equalling a royal swan with the radiance of full moon with a golden handle.
nidraamadapariitaakShyo raavanasyottamaaH striyaH |
anujagmuH patiM viiram ghanam vidyullataa iva || 5-18-15
15. nidraamada pariitaakshyo = With sleepy eyes; uttamaaH striyaH = best women; raavaNasya = of Ravana; anujagmuH = followed; viiram patim = mighty husband; vidyullataaH ghanamiva = like lightning (following a) cloud.
With sleepy eyes best women of Ravana followed mighty husband like lightning following a cloud.
vyaaviddhahaarakeyuuraaH samaamR^iditavarNakaaH |
samaagaLitakeshaantaaH sasvedavadanaastathaa || 5-18-16
ghorNantyo madasheSheNa nidrayaa ca shubhaananaaH |
svedakliShTaaN^gakusumaaH sumaalyaakulamuurdhajaaH || 5-18-17
prayaantaM nairR^itapatiM naaryo madiralochanaaH |
bahumaanaaccha kaamaacca priyaa bhaaryaastamanvayuH || 5-18-18
16;17;18. vyyaviddha keyuuraaH = With displaced necklaces and armlets; samaamR^idita varNakaaH = with effaced cover (of sandal-paste); samaagaLita keshaantaaH = with dishevelled hair; tathaa = and also; sasveda vadanaaH = with sweaty faces; ghoorNantyaH = staggering; madasheshheNa nidrayaa cha = due to surviving trace of liqour and due to sleepiness; sveda klishhTaN^ga kusumaaH = with shrivelled flowers on perspiring bodies; sumaalyaakulamuurdhajaaH = with dishevelled hair along with good garlands; madiralochanaaH = with intoxicating eyes; naaryaaH = women; priyaaH bhaaryaaH = who were dear wives; anvayuH = followed; tam = that; nairR^itapatim = king of Rakshasas; prayaantam = who was going; bahumaanaachcha = due to respect; kaamaachcha = and due to love.
With displaced necklaces and armlets, with effaced cover of sandal-paste, with dishevelled hair, and also with sweaty faces, staggering due to surviving trace of liquor and due to sleepiness, with shrivelled flowers on perspiring bodies, with dishevelled hair along with good garlands, with intoxicating eyes, women who were dear wives followed that king of Rakshasas who was going due to respect and due to love.
sa ca kaamaparaadhiinaH patistaasaaM mahaabalaH |
siitaasaktamanaa mando mandaaJNcitagatirbabhau || 5-18-19
19. patiH = husband; taasaam = of those (women); mahaabalaH = of great might; kaamaparaadhiinaH = who was surrendered to lust; sa cha = that Ravana also; mandaH = (who was) dull witted; siitaasakta manaaH = with his mind interested in Seetha; babhau = shone; mandaaN^chita gatiH = with a slow and beautiful gait.
Husband of those women, of great might, who was surrendered to lust, that Ravana also who was dull witted, with his mind interested in Seetha shone with a slow and beautiful gait.
tataH kaaJNciininaadaM ca nuupuraaNaam ca nisvanam |
shushraava paramastriiNaaM sa kapirmaarutaatmajaH || 5-18-20
20. tataH = Thereafter; saH kapiH = that Hanuma; maarutaatjamjaam = the son of wind-god; sushraava = heard; kaaN^chiininaadam = the sound of waist-bands; nuupuraaNam nisvanam cha = and the sound of anklets; paramastriiNaam = of those excellent women.
Thereafter that Hanuma, the son of wind-god heard the sound of waist-bands and the sound of anklets of those excellent women.
taM caapratimakarmaaNamacintyabalapauruSham |
dvaaradeshamanupraaptaM dadarsha hanumaan kapiH || 5-18-21
21. hanumaan = Hanuma; kapiH = the monkey; dadarsha = saw; tam cha = that Ravana also; apratima karmaaNam = performer of deeds without an equal; achintya bala paurushham = with unfathomable might and virility; anupraaptam = reaching; dvaara desham = entrance region.
Hanuma the monkey saw that Ravana also, performer of deeds without an equal, with unfathomable might and virility, reaching the entrance region.
diipikaabhiranekaabhiH samantaadavabhaasitam |
gandhatailaavasiktaabhirdriyamaaNaabhiragrataH || 5-18-22
22. gandha tailaavasiktaabhH = Wettened by fragrant oil; dhriyamaaNaabhiH = being carried; agrataH = in front; (Hanuma saw Ravana) avabhaasitam = being shone; samantaat = in all directions; anekaabhiH = by many; diipikaabhiH = lamps;
Wettened by fragrant oil, being carried in front of Ravana, Hanuma saw Ravana being shone in all directions by many lamps.
kaamadarpamadairyuktaM jihmataamraayatekshaNam |
samakshamiva kandarpamapaviddhasharaasanam || 5-18-23
23. (Hanuma saw Ravana) yuktam = together; kaamadarpamadaiH = with lust; vanity and intoxication; jihmataamraayatekshaNam = with wide red eyes which were slanted; samaksham kandarpamiva = like Manmadha; the god of love in person;apaviddhasharaasanam = with bow kept at a distance;
Hanuma saw Ravana together with lust, vanity and intoxication, with wide red eyes which were slanted, like the god of love in person with bow kept at a distance.
saliilamanukarShantaM vimuktaM saktamaN^gade || 5-18-24
24. (Hanuma saw Ravana) salillam = playfully; anukarshhantam = readjusting;uttamam vastram = excellent (upper) garment;mathitaamR^itaphenaabham = With the lustre of churned nectar froth; arajaH = without stain;vimuktam = slipping; aN^gade saktam = being entangled with armlet; .
Hanuma saw Ravana playfully readjusting his excellent upper garment with the luster of churned nectar froth, without stain,slipping being entangled in armlet.
taM patraviTape liinaH atrapuShpaghanaavR^itah |
samiipamiva saMkraantaM nidhyaatumupachakrame || 5-18-25
25. (Hanuma) liinaH = blended;patraviTape = in a branch full of leaves; patrapusshpaghanaavR^itaH = covered by groups of leaves and flowers; upachakrame = started; nidhyaatum = to see; tam = that Ravana; samkraantamiva = as though coming; samiipam = near (Him);
Hanuma blended in a branch full of leaves covered by groups of leaves and flowers started to see that Ravana as though coming near Him.
avekshamaaNastu tato dadarsha kapikuJNjaraH |
ruupayauvanasaMpannaa raavaNasya varastiyaH || 5-18-26
26. tataH = Thereafter; kapikuN^jaraH = the best among Vanaras; avekashamaaNaH = looking in all directions; dadarsha = saw;varastriyaH = best women; raavaNasya = of Ravana; ruupayauvanasampannaaH = full of beauty and youth;
Thereafter Hanuma, the best among Vanaras looking in all directions saw best women of Ravana full of beauty and youth.
taabhiH parivR^ito raajaa suruupaabhirmahaayashaaH |
tasmR^igadvijasamghaShTaM praviShTaH pramadaavanam || 5-18-27
27. raajaa = king; mahaa yashaaH = of great fame; parivR^itaH = together; taabhiH = with those women; suruupaabhiH = with good appearance; pravishhTaH = entered; tat = that garden; mR^igadvijasaMghushhtam = resounded by animals and birds.
King of great fame, Ravana, together with those women with good appearance entered that garden resounded by animals and birds.
kShiibo vicitraabharaNaH shaN^kukarNo mahaabalaH |
tena vishravasaH putraH sa dR^iShTo raakShasaadhipaH || 5-18-28
vR^itaH paramanaariibhistaaraabhiriva candraamaaH |
taM dadarsha mahaatejaastejovantaM mahaakapiH || 5-18-29
28; 29. saH raakshsaadhipaH = that king of Rakshasas; kshiibaH = who was intoxicated; vichitraabharaNaH = with wonderful ornaments; saN^kukarNaH = with pointed ears; vishravasaH putraH = son of Visravasa; chandramaaH iva = was like the moon; taaraabhiH = together with stars; vR^itaH = together; paramanaariibhiH = with best women; dR^ishhtaH = was seen; tena = by that Hanuma; mahaa kapiH = that great Vanara; mahaa tejaaH = with great brilliance; dadarsha = saw; tam = that Ravana; tejovantam = with glory.
That king of Rakshasas who was intoxicated with wonderful ornaments, with pointed ears, son of Visravasa was like the moon together with stars, together with best women was seen by Hanuma. That great Vanara with great brilliance saw that Ravana with glory.
raavaNo.ayam mahaabaahuriti saMchintya vaanaraH |
avapluto mahaatejaa hanumaanmaarutaatmajaH || 5-18-30
30. maarutaatmajaH = The son of god of wind; vaanaraH = Vanara; hanumaan = Hanuma; mahaa tejaaH = of great brilliance; ayam = this; mahaabaahuH = long armed one; raavaNaH = is Ravana; iti samchintya = thinking thus; avaplutaH = jumped down.
The son of god of wind Vanara Hanuma of great brilliance thinking thus "This long armed one is Ravana", jumped down.
sa tathaapyugratejaaH sannirdhuutastasya tejasaa |
patraguhyaantare sakto hanumaan saMvR^ito.abhavat || 5-18-31
31. tathaa = thus; hanumaan = Hanuma; ugra tejaaH sannapi = (although) of terrible energy; nirdhuutaH = was overshadowed; tasya tejasaa = by Ravana's brilliance; abhavat = (and) became; patra guhyaantare saktaH = rooted behind a group of leaves; samvR^itaH = and was concealed;
Thus Hanuma although of terrible energy was overshadowed by Ravana's brilliance and became rooted behind a group of leaves and was concealed.
sa taamasitakeshaantaaM sushroNiiM saMhatastaniim |
didR^ikshurasitaapaaN^gamupaavartata raavaNaH || 5-18-32
32. saH raavanaH = that Ravana; upaavartata = neared; taam = Seetha; asitakeshaantaam = with black hair; sushroNiim = with charming limbs; samhatastaniim = with well knit breasts; asitaapaaN^gaam = with black corners of eyes; didR^ikshuH = wishing to see (Her);
That Ravana neared Seetha with black hair, with charming limbs with well knit breasts, with black corners of eyes, wishing to see Her.
- - -
ityaarShe shriimadraamaayaNe aadikaavye sundarakaaNDe aShTaadashaH sargaH
|Top of Page||1||2||3||4|
© May 2005, Kishore Kopalle