In this chapter Hanuma sees Seetha surrounded by ogresses.
ततः कुमुदषण्डाभो निर्मलम् निर्मलोदयः |
प्रजगाम नभश्चन्द्रो हंसो नीलमिवोदकम् || ५-१७- १
1. tataH = Thereafter; chandraH = the moon; nirmala udayaH = with a peaceful rise; kumuda shhanDaabhaH = with radiance equaling that of a group of lotuses; prajagaama = obtained;nirmalam nabhaH = clear sky; iva = like; hamsaH = a swan; niilam udakam = blue water;
Thereafter the moon with a peaceful rise, with radiance equaling that of a group of lotuses, obtained the clear sky like a swan obtaining blue water.
साचिव्यमिव कुर्वन् स प्रभया निर्मलप्रभः |
चन्द्रमा रश्मभिः शीतैः सिषेवे पवनात्मजम् || ५-१७-२
2. saH chandramaaH = that moon; nirmala prabhaH = with a peaceful glow; sishheve = served; pavanaatmajam = Hanuma; shiitaiH rashmibhiH = with cool rays; kurvan iva = as though performing; saachivyam = help; prabhaayaa = with radiance.
That moon with a peaceful glow served Hanuma with cool rays as though performing help with radiance.
स ददर्श ततः सीताम् पूर्णचन्द्रनिभाननाम् |
शोकभारैरिव न्यस्तां भारैर्नावमिवाम्भसि || ५-१७-३
3. tataH = Thereafter; saH = Hanuma; dadarsha = saw; siitaam = Seetha; puurNa chandra nibhhananaam = with face like a full moon; nyastaam = put down; shookabhaaraiH = by the weight of grief; naavamiva = like a ship; nyastaam = sinking down; ambhasi = in water; bhaaraiH = due to weight;
Thereafter Hanuma saw Seetha with a face like a full moon, put down by the weight of grief, like a ship sinking down in water due to weight.
दिदृक्षमाणो वैदेहीम् हनुमान् मारुतात्मजः |
स ददर्शाविदूरस्था राक्षसीर्घोरदर्शनाः || ५-१७-४
एकाक्षीमेककर्णाम् च कर्णप्रावरणाम् तथा |
अकर्णाम् शङ्कुकर्णाम् च मस्तकोच्छ्वासनासिकाम् || ५-१७-५
अतिकायोत्तमाङ्गीं च तनुदीर्घशिरोधराम् |
ध्वस्तकेशीम् तथाकेशीम् केशकम्बलधारिणीम् || ५-१७-६
लम्बकर्णललाटाम् च लम्बोदरपयोधराम् |
लम्बोष्ठीं चुबुकोष्ठीं च लम्बास्याम् लम्बजानुकाम् || ५-१७-७
ह्रस्वाम् दीर्घाम् च कुब्जाम् विकटाम् वामनां तथा |
करालाम् भुग्नवक्त्राम् च पिङ्गाक्षीम् विकृताननाम् || ५-१७-८
4;5;6;7;8. maarutaatmajaH = Hanuma; didR^ikshamaaNaH = wanting to see; vaidehiim = Seetha; dadarsha = saw; viduurasthaa = nearby; raakshasiiH = ogresses; ghora darshanaaH = with horrible appearance; ekaakshiim = (ogress) with one eye; ekakarNaam cha = and (another) with a single ear; tathaa = and also; karNapraavaraNaam = one with ears as covering body; saN^ku karNaam = with conch shell like ears; mastakochchvaasa naasikaam = one with fattened nose up to head; tanu diirgha shirodharaam = one with a lean and long neck; dhvastakesiim = one with disheveled hair; tathaa = and also; akeshiim = one without hair; keshakambala dhaariNiim = one with hair like a blanket; lamba karNa lalaataam cha = one with hanging stomach and breasts; lamboshhThiim = one with hanging face; chubukoshhThiim = one with lips at chin; lambaasyaam = one with hanging face; lambajaanukaam = with hanging knees; hrasvaam = one who is short; diirghaam = one who is tall; tathaa = and also; kubjaam = hunch backed one; vikaTaam = one who is distorted; vaamanaam = one is dwarf; tathaa = and also; karaalaam = one with high teeth; bhugna vaktraam cha = and one with crooked mouth; piN^gaakshiim = one with green eyes; vikR^itaananaam = one with a horrible face.
Hanuma wanting to see Seetha saw nearby ogresses with horrible appearance - one with one eye; one with a single ear and also one with ears as covering; one with conch shell like ears; one with fattened nose up to head; one with lean and long neck; one with disheveled hair and also one without hair; one with blanket like hair; one with hanging stomach and breasts; one with hanging face; one with lips at chin; one with hanging face; one with hanging knees; one who is short; one who is tall and also hunch backed one; one who is distorted; a dwarf one and also one with high teeth and one with crooked mouth, one with green eyes and one with a horrible face.
विकृताः पिङ्गलाः कालीः क्रोधनाः कलहप्रियाः |
कालायसमहाशूलकूटमुद्गधारिणीः || ५-१७-९
गजोष्ट्र हयपादीश्च निखातशिरसोपराः || ५-१७-१०
एकहस्तैकपादाश्च खरकर्ण्यश्वकर्णिकाः |
गोकर्णीर्हस्तिकर्णीईश्च हरिकर्णीस्तथापराः || ५-१७-११
अतिनासाश्च तिर्यङ्नासा अनासिकाः |
गजनन्निभनासाश्च ललाटोच्च्वासनासिकाः || ५-१७-१२
हस्तिपादा महापादा गोपादाः पादचूळिकाः |
अतिमात्रशिरोग्रीवा अतिमात्रकुचोदरीः || ५-१७-१३
अतिमात्रस्यनेत्राश्च दीर्घजिह्वानखास्तथा |
अजामुखीर्हस्तिमुखीर्गोमुखाः सूकरीमुखीः || ५-१७-१४
हयोष्ट्रखरवक्त्राश्च राक्षसीर्घोरदर्शनाः |
शूलमुद्गरहस्ताश्च क्रोधनाः कलहप्रियाः || ५-१७-१५
कराळा धूम्रकेशीश्च राक्षसीर्विकृताननाः |
पिबन्तीः सततं पानं सदा मां ससुराप्रियाः || ५-१७-१६
ता ददर्श कपिश्रेष्ठो रोमहर्षणदर्शनाः || ५-१७-१७
स्कन्धवन्तमुपासीनाः परिवार्य वनस्पतिम् |
9;10;11;12;13;14;15;15; 17. kapi shhresThaH = Hanuma; dadrsha = saw; vikR^itaaH = horrible ones; piN^galaaaH = dark complexioned ones; krodhanaaH = angry ones;kalaha priyaaH = those who like quarrels; kaalaayasamahaa shuula kuuTa mudgara dhaariniiH = ones wearing big darts; mallets and clubs of iron;varaaha mR^iga shaarduula mahishhaa shivaa mukhiiH = with faces like those of pigs; deer;tigers;buffaloes;goats;she-foxes; gajoshhTra hayapaadiiH = with feet like those of elephants; camels;horses;nikaata shirasaH = with heads sunk into bodies;aparaaH = some others; eka hastaika paadaashcha = with a single hand and those with single foot; khara karNyasva karNikaa = those with donkey ears and horse ears;gokarNiiH = those with cow ears; hasti karNiiH = those with elephant ears; hari karNiiH = those with monkey ears; aparaaH = and some others; anaasaaH = without nose; ati naasaashcha = with big nose; tiryajN^aasaaH = those with horizontal nose; vinaasikaaH = those with crooked nose; gajasannibha naasaashcha = those with elephant-like nose; lalaaTocchvaasa naasikaaH = nose fixed in forehead; hasti paadaaH = with feet like those of elephant; mahaapaadaaH = those with big feet; gopaadaaH = those with cow like feet; paada chuuLikaaH = those with hair on their feet; atimaatra shirogriivaaH = those with big heads and necks; atimaatrakuchodariiH = those with big nipples and big stomach; atimaatraasyanetrashcha = those with big mouths and eyes; diirghajihvaa nakhaaH = with long tongues and nails; tathaa = and also;ajaamukhiiH = those with face like that of a she-goat; hastimukhiiH = those with elephant like face; gomukhiiH = those with face like that of a cow;suukarii mukhiiH = those with face of a she-pig; hayoshhTrakharavaktraashcha = with faces like those of horses; camels; donkeys; ghoradarshanaaH = those with horrible appearance; raakshasiiH = ogresses; shuula mudgara hastaashcha = carrying pikes and clubs in their hand; krodhanaaH = angry ones; kalaha priyaaH = those who like quarrels; karaaLaaH = those with high teeth; dhuumra kesiishcha = with hair color like that of smoke; vikR^itaanaaH = with horrible faces; satatam = always; pibantiiH = drinking; paanam = liquor; sadaa = always; maamsasuraa priyaaH = desiring meat and liquor; maamsa shoNitadigdhaaN^gii = with body smeared by meat and blood; maamsa shoNita bhojanaaH = with meat and blood as food; romaharshhaNa darsanaaH = whose appearance made hair to stand up; upaasinnaaH = sitting; parivaarya = around; vanapatim = a great tree; skandhavantam = with huge trunk;
Hanuma saw horrible ogresses, dark complexioned ones, angry ones, those who like quarrels, ones wearing big darts, mallets and clubs of iron, with faces like those of pigs, deer, tigers, buffaloes, goats, she-foxes, with feet like those of elephants, camels, horses, with heads sunk into bodies, with single hand and single foot, those ears like that of donkeys and horses, those with cow ears, those with elephant ears, those with monkey ears, and some others without nose, those with horizontal nose, those with crooked nose, those with elephant-like nose, toes with nose fixed in forehead, with feet like those of elephant, those with big feet, those with cow like feet, those with hair on their feet, those with big heads and necks, those with big nipples and big stomach, those with big eyes and mouths, with long tongues and nails, and also the a face like that of a she-goat, those with elephant like face, those with face like that of a cow, those with face of a she-pig, those with faces like those of horses, camels, donkeys, those with horrible appearance, ogresses carrying pikes and clubs in their hand, angry ones, those who like quarrels, those with high teeth, with hair color like that of smoke, with horrible faces, always drinking liquor, always desiring meat and liquor, with body smeared by meat and blood, with meat and blood as food, whose appearance made hair to stand up, sitting around a great tree with huge trunk.
तस्याधस्ताच्च ताम् देवीम् राजपुत्रीमनिन्दिताम् || ५-१७-१८
लक्षयामास लक्ष्मीवान् हनुमान् जन्कात्मजाम् |
18. hanumaan = Hanuma; lakshmiivaan = the glorious one; lakshayaamaasa = saw; taam deviim = that Seetha; raajaputriim = the princess;janakaatmajaam = daughter of Janaka; aninditaam = unblemished one; tasya adhastaat = below that tree
Hanuma the glorious one saw that Seetha, the princess, daughter of Janaka, unblemished one below that tree.
निष्प्रभाम् षोकसन्तप्ताम् मलसम्कुलमूर्धजाम् || ५-१७-१९
क्षीणपुण्याम् च्युताम् भूमौ ताराम् निपतितामिव |
19. nishhprabhaam = lack lustre one; shokasamtaptaam = being tormented by grief; malasamkulamuurdhajaam = with hair covered by dirt; kshhiNa puNyaam = with merits exhausted; taaraamiva = like a star; chyutaam = fallen from heavens; bhuumau nipatitaam = that fell on ground.
She was lack luster being tormented by grief, with hair covered by dirt, with merits exhausted, like star fallen from heavens onto ground.
चारित्रव्यपदेशाड्यां भर्तृदर्शनदुर्गताम् || ५-१७-२०
भूषणैरुत्तमोर्हीनाम् भर्तृवात्सल्यभूषणाम् |
20. chaaritravyapadeshaadyaam = rich with fame of character; bhartR^idarshana durgataam = poor due to not seeing husband; hiinaam = lacking; uttamaiH bhuushhanaiH = excellent ornaments; bhartR^ivaatsalya bhuushhaNaam = with husband's love as ornament.
She was rich with fame of lofty character, poor due to not seeing husband, lacking excellent ornaments, with husband's love as ornament.
राक्षसाधिपसम्रुद्धाम् बन्धुभिश्च विना कृताम् || ५-१७-२१
वियूथाम् सिम्हसम्रुद्धाम् बद्धाम् गजवधूमिव |
21. raakshaadhipa saMruddhaam = Being held captive by Ravana; kR^itaam = made; bandhubhiH vinaa cha = without relatives; gajavadhuumiva = like a she-elephant; viyuudhaam = without herd; siMha saMruddhaam baddhaam = being detained by a lion; .
Being held captive by Ravana, without any relatives, She was like a she-elephant without herd, being detained by a lion.
चन्द्ररेखाम् पयोदान्ते शारदाब्रैरिवावृताम् || ५-१७-२२
क्लिष्टरूपामसंस्पर्शादयुक्तामिव वल्लकीम् |
22. chandrarekhaamiva = like moon; aavR^itaam = being covered; shaaradaabhraiH = by clouds; payodaante = at the end of rainy season; klishhta rupaam = With an appearance lacking lustre; asamsparshaat = due to lack of contact (with husband); valaakiimiva = like Veena; aayuktaam = which was unplucked.
She was like moon being covered by clouds at the end of rainy season with an appearance lacking lustre due to lack of contact with husband, was like an unplucked Veena.
स ताम् भर्तवशे युक्तामयुक्ताम् राक्षसीवशे || ५-१७-२३
अशोकवनिकामध्ये शोकसागरमाप्लुताम् |
23. siitaam = (Hanuma saw)Seetha; bhartR^ivashe yuktaam = being suited to be with her husband; raakshasiivashe = in the custody of ogresses; ashokavanikaa madhye = in the middle of Ashoka garden;aaplutaam = being immersed; shoka saagaraam = in an ocean of grief.
Hanuma saw Seetha being suited to be with her husband, in the custody of ogresses, in the middle of Ashoka garden being immersed in an ocean of grief
ताभिः परिवृताम् तत्र सग्रहामिव रोहिणीम् || ५-१७-२४
ददर्श हनुमान् देवीम् लतामकुसुमामिव |
24. hanumman = Hanuma; dadarsha = saw; deviim = Seetha; tatra = there; parivR^itaam = surrounded; taabhiH = by those ogresses; sagrahaamiva rohiNiim = like Rohini with planets; lathaamiva = like a creeper; akusumaam = without flowers.
Hanuma saw Seetha there surrounded by those ogresses, like Rohini with planets, like a creeper without flowers.
सा मलेन च दिग्धाङ्गीवपुषा चाप्यलंकृता || ५-१७-२५
मृणाली पङ्कदिग्धेव विभाति च न भाति च |
25. igdhaaN^gii = With body smeared; malena = with dirt; vapusshaa chaapi alaMkR^itaa = being graced by her body; saa = that Seetha; vibhaati = shone; na vibhaati cha = and also not shining;mR^iNaaliiva = like a lotus-fibre; paN^ka digdhaaH = covered with dirt.
With body smeared with dirt, being graced by Her body, that Seetha shone and also did not shine, like a lotus-fibre covered with dirt.
मलिनेन तु वस्त्रेण परिक्लिष्टेन भामिनीम् || ५-१७-२६
संवृताम् मृगशाबाक्षीं ददर्श हनुमान् कपिः |
ताम् देवीं दीनवदनामदीनां भर्तृतेजसा || ५-१७-२७
रक्षिताम् स्वेन शीलेन सीतामसितलोचनाम् |
26; 27. hanumaan kapiH = the monkey Hanuma;darasha = saw; taam deviim seethaam = that Seetha; bhaaminiim = with great beauty;asitalochanaam = with black eye;samvR^itaam = covered; vastreNa = by a cloth; pariklishhTena = which was creased; malinena = dirty; mR^iga shaabaakshiim = with eyes of a deer; diinavadanaam = with a pitiful face; adiinaam = not depressed; bhartR^i tejasaa = due to the brilliance of husband; rakshitaam = protected; svena shiilena = by her own character.
The monkey Hanuma saw that Seetha with great beauty with black eyes, covered by a cloth which was creased and dirty, with eyes of a deer, with a pitiful face, not depressed due to the brilliance of her husband, protected by her own character.
ताम् दृष्ट्वा हनुमान् सीताम् मृगशाबनिभेक्षणाम् |
मृगकन्यामिव त्रस्ताम् वीक्षमाणाम् समन्ततः || ५-१७-२८
दहन्तीमिव निःश्वासैर्वृक्षान् पल्लवधारिणः |
सम्घातमिव शोकानाम् दुःखस्योर्मिमिवोथिताम् || ५-१७-२९
28; 29. hanumaan = Hanuma; siitaam dR^ishhTvaa = on seeing Seetha (became very happy); mR^iga shaaba nibhekshaNaam = with eyes of a fawn; trastaam mR^iga kanyaamiva = fearful like a she-deer; viikshamaNaam = seeing; vR^ikshaan = trees; pallava dhaariNaH = with young shoots; dahantiimiva = as though being burnt; niHshvaasaiH = by sighs; shokaanaam samghaatamiva = like a bundle of grief; uurmimiva = like a wave; duHkhasya = of sorrow; uthitaam = risen up.
Hanuma became happy on seeing Seetha with eyes of a fawn, fearful like a she-deer, seeing trees with young shoots, as though being burnt by sighs, like a bundle of grief, with a wave of sorrow risen up.
ताम् क्षमां सुविभक्ताङ्गीं विनाभरणशोभिनीम् |
प्रहर्षमतुलम् लेभे मारुतिः प्रेक्ष्य मैथिलीम् || ५-१७-३०
30. maarutiH = The son of wind-god Hanuma;prekshya = on seeing; taam maithiliim = that Seetha; kshamaam = like the goddess Earth; suvibhaktaaN^giim = with well divided body parts; vinaabharaNa shobhiniim = shining even without ornaments; lebhe = obtained; atulam praharshaam = great joy.
Hanuma the son of wind god on seeing Seetha that Seetha like the goddess earth, with well divided body parts shining eve without ornaments, obtained great joy.
हर्षजानि च सोऽश्रूणि ताम् दृष्ट्वा मदिरेक्षणाम् |
मुमुचे हनुमांस्तत्र नमश्चक्रे च राघवम् || ५-१७-३१
31. hanumaan = Hanuma; dR^ishTvaa = on seeing; taam = her;tatra = there; madirekshaNaam = with intoxicating eyes ; mumuche = shed; harshajaani ashruuNi = tears of joy;namashchakre cha = and also paid obeisance; raaghavam = to Sri Rama.
Hanuma on seeing Seetha there with intoxicating eyes shed tears of joy and also paid obeisance to Sri Rama.
नमस्कृत्वा रामाय लक्ष्मणाय च वीर्यवान् |
सीतादर्शनसम्हृष्टो हनुमान् सम्वृतोऽभवत् || ५-१७-३२
32. siita darshana samHR^isTaa = Being joyful on seeing Seetha; hanumaan = Hanuma; viiryavaan = the mighty one; namaskR^itvaa = paid obeisance; raamaaya = to Sri Rama; lakshmaNaaya cha = and to Lakshmana;samvR^itaH abhavat = became covered (with leaves)
Being joyful on seeing Seetha, Hanuma the mighty one paid obeisance to Sri Rama and to Lakshmana and became covered with leaves.
- - -
इत्यार्षे श्रीमद्रामायणे आदिकाव्ये सुन्दरकाण्डे सप्तदशः सर्गः
|Top of Page||1||2||3||4|
© April 2005, Kishore Kopalle