In this chapter Hanuma starts to search for Seetha overcoming the depression. He begins to go towards Ashoka garden to continue his search.
vimānāt tu susamkramya prākāram hari yūthapaḥ |
hanūmān vegavān āsīd yathā vidyud ghana antare || 5-13-1
1. hanuman = Hanuma; hariyuudhapaH = the leader of vanaras; susamkramya = crossed; vimaanaat = from pushpaka; praakaaram = toward the fort wall; aasiit = and became; vegavaan = with speed; vidhyut yathaa = like a lighting; ghanantare = in the middle of cloud.
Hanuma the leader of Vanaras crossed from pushpaka toward the fort wall and became with speed like lighting in the middle of a cloud.
samparikramya hanumān rāvaṇasya niveśanān |
adṛṣṭvā jānakīm sītām abravīd vacanam kapiḥ || 5-13-2
2. kapiH hanuman = the simian Hanuma; samparikramya = went far; raavaNasya niveshanaat = from the house of Ravana; adR^ishhTvaa = not seeing; siitaam = Seetha; jaanakiim = the daughter of king Janaka; abraviit = said; vachanam = (these)words.
The simian Hanuma went far from the house of Ravana and not seeing Seetha, the daughter of King Janaka, said these words:
bhūyiṣṭham loḍitā lankā rāmasya caratā priyam |
na hi paśyāmi vaidehīm sītām sarva anga śobhanām || 5-13-3
3. laN^kaa = the city of Lanka; bhuuyishhTham lolitaa = had been mostly explored; charataa = (by me)attempting; raamasya priyam = the pleasure of Sri Rama; na hi pashyaami = but I am unable to see; siitaam = Seetha; sarvaaN^ga shobhanaam = beautiful in all limbs; vaidehiim = and the daughter of Videha;
"The city of Lanka has been mostly explored by me attempting for the pleasure of Rama. But I am unable to see Seetha, beautiful in all limbs, and the daughter of Videha."
palvalāni taṭākāni sarāṃsi saritaḥ tathā |
nadyo anūpavana antāḥ ca durgāḥ ca dharaṇī dharāḥ || 5-13-4
loḍitā vasudhā sarvā na ca paśyāmi jānakīm |
4. sarvaaH vasudaa = all earth; palvaalaani = (consisting of) pools; taTaakaani = ponds; saraamsi = lakes; tathaa = and; saritaH = streams; nadyaH = rivers; anupavanaantashcha = and forest areas; filled with water; dharaNiidharaaH = mountains; durgaaH = difficult of access; Lolitaa = have been explored; na tu pashyaami = but I did not see; jaanakiim = Seetha.
"All earth consisting of pools, ponds, lakes and streams, rivers and forest areas filled with water, mountains difficult of access have been explored but I did not see Seetha."
iha sampātinā sītā rāvaṇasya niveśane || 5-13-5
ākhyātā gṛdhra rājena na ca paśyāmi tām aham |
5. akhyaataa = it has been said; gR^idhraraajena sampaatinaa = by the eagle king Sampaati; siitaa = Seetha; iha = (to be) here; raavaNasya niveshane = in the house of Ravana; aham = I; na cha pashyaami = I am unable to see; taam = her.
"It has been said by the eagle King Sampati that Seetha is here in the house of Ravana. I am unable to see her."
kim nu sītā atha vaidehī maithilī janaka ātmajā || 5-13-6
upatiṣṭheta vivaśā rāvaṇam duṣṭa cāriṇam |
6. atha = otherwise; siitaa = Seetha; vaidehii = belonging to Videha; maithilii = born in Mithila; janakaatmaja = and daughter of king Janaka; kim nu upatishhTheta = can she be; vivashaa = helplessly; dushhTachaariNam raavaNam = (together with) the evil minded Ravana.
"Otherwise Seetha belonging to Videha born in Mithila and daughter of king Janaka - Can she be helplessly together with the evil minded Ravana."
kṣipram utpatato manye sītām ādāya rakṣasaḥ || 5-13-7
bibhyato rāma bāṇānām antarā patitā bhavet |
7. manye = I think; rakshasaH = while Ravana; bibhyataH = fearing; raamabaaNaanaam = Rama's arrows; kshipramutpatataH = flew quickly; siitaam aadaaya = carrying Seetha; patitaa bhavet = (She) might have fallen down; antaraa = in the middle(of the journey).
"I think while Ravana fearing Rama's arrows flew quickly carrying Seetha, she might have fallen down in the middle of the journey."
athavā hriyamāṇāyāḥ pathi siddha niṣevite || 5-13-8
manye patitam āryāyā hṛdayam prekṣya sāgaram |
8. athavaa = or; manye = I think; hR^idayam = the heart; aayraayaaH = of the noble Seetha; hR^iyamaaryaayaaH = being stolen; patii = in the path; sidhhanishhevite = served by Siddhaas; patitam = must have sunk; saagaram prekshya = at the site of the ocean.
"Or I think the heart of the noble Seetha being stolen in the path served by Siddhas must have sunk at the site of the ocean."
rāvaṇasya ūru vegena bhujābhyām pīḍitena ca || 5-13-9
tayā manye viśāla akṣyā tyaktam jīvitam āryayā |
9. manye = I think; raavanasya uruvegeNa = due to great speed of Ravana; bhujaabhyaam piiDitenacha = and due to the torture of Ravana's shoulders; jiivitam chaktam = the life has been given up; tayaa aaryayaa = by that noble one; vishaalaakshyaa = with wide eyes.
"I think due to great speed of Ravana and due to the torture of Ravana's shoulders the life has been given up by that noble one with wide eyes."
upari upari vā nūnam sāgaram kramataḥ tadā || 5-13-10
viveṣṭamānā patitā samudre janaka ātmajā |
10. tadaa = then; kramataH = while being flown; saagaram upari upari = upon the surface of the ocean; janakaatmaja = Seetha; nunam = definitely; patitaa = fell down; saagare = in the ocean; viveshhThamaana = while wriggling.
"Then while being flown upon the surface of the ocean, Seetha definitely fell down in the ocean while wriggling."
āho kṣudreṇa ca anena rakṣantī śīlam ātmanaḥ || 5-13-11
abandhur bhakṣitā sītā rāvaṇena tapasvinī |
11. aho = or; tapasvinii siitaa bhakishtaa = has the austere Seetha been eaten; anena raavaNena = by this Ravana; kshudreNa = the evil minded one; atmanaH shiilam rakshantii = while she was protecting her chastity; abandhuH = without any relatives(near her).
"Or has the austere Seetha been eaten by this Ravana, the evil minded one while she was protecting her chastity without any relatives near her."
athavā rākṣasa indrasya patnībhir asita īkṣaṇā || 5-13-12
aduṣṭā duṣṭa bhāvābhir bhakṣitā sā bhaviṣyati |
12. athavaa = otherwise; adushhTaa = not being evil; asitekshaNaa = with black eyes saa = she; bhakshitaa bhavishhyati = may have been eaten; raakshasendrasya patniibhi = by the wives of Ravana; dushhTabhaavaabhi = with evil thoughts.
"Otherwise not being evil with black eyes, She may have been eaten by the wives of Ravana with evil thoughts."
sampūrṇa candra pratimam padma patra nibha īkṣaṇam || 5-13-13
rāmasya dhyāyatī vaktram pancatvam kṛpaṇā gatā |
13. kR^ipaNaa = the pitiable Seetha; sampuurNachandra pratimam = equaling full moon; padmapatra nibhyekshaNam = with eyes equaling lotus petals; paJNchantvam gataa = must have obtained death; dhyaayatii = while meditating; raamasya vaktram = upon Rama's face.
"The pitiable Seetha equaling full moon, with eyes equaling lotus petals must have obtained death while meditating upon Rama's face."
hā rāma lakṣmaṇa iti eva hā ayodhyeti ca maithilī || 5-13-14
vilapya bahu vaidehī nyasta dehā bhaviṣyati |
14. vaidehii = the daughter of Videha; maithilii = Seetha; ha raamaa = O Rama; ha lakshmaNa = O Lakshmana; ha ayodhye = O Ayodhya; iti = thus; bahuvilapya = weeping greatly; nyasta dehaa bhavishhyati = may have given up her body.
"The daughter of Videha, Seetha. �O Rama!' �O Lakshmana!' �O Ayodhya!', thus weeping greatly may have given up her body."
athavā nihitā manye rāvaṇasya niveśane || 5-13-15
nūnam lālapyate mandam panjarasthā iva śārikā |
15. manye = I think; athavaa = otherwise; nihitaa = being put; raavaNasya niveshane = in the house of Ravana; siitaa = Seetha; nunam laalpyate = is definitely crying; paJNjarastaa shaarikaa iva = like a caged myna.
"I think otherwise being put in the house of Ravana Seetha is definitely crying like a caged myna."
janakasya kule jātā rāma patnī sumadhyamā || 5-13-16
katham utpala patra akṣī rāvaṇasya vaśam vrajet |
16. katham = how(can); janakasya sutaa = the daughter of King Janaka; ramapatniim = Rama's wife; siita = Seetha; su madhyamaa = with a beautiful waist; utpala patraakshi = with eyes like black lotus petals; vrajet = obtain; raavanasya vasam = Ravana's capture.
"How can the daughter of King Janaka, Rama's wife Seetha with a beautiful waist, with eyes like black lotus petals obtain Ravana's capture."
vinaṣṭā vā pranaṣṭā vā mṛtā vā janaka ātmajā || 5-13-17
rāmasya priya bhāryasya na nivedayitum kṣamam |
17. na kshamam = it is not fair; nivedayutum = to let know; raamasya priyabhaaryasya = to Rama who has a dear wife; janakaatmaja = (if) Seetha; vinashhTaa vaa = is lost; praNashhTavaa = or is not to be seen; mR^itaavaa = or has died.
"It is not fair to let know Rama who has a dear wife if Seetha is lost or is not to be seen or has died."
nivedyamāne doṣaḥ syād doṣaḥ syād anivedane || 5-13-18
katham nu khalu kartavyam viṣamam pratibhāti me |
18. nivedyamaane = to be let known; syaat doshhaH = becomes an error; anivedane = not to let know; syaat = becomes; doshhaH = an error; khatham = how; kartavyam nu khalu = to perform the duty; me = to me; pratibhaati = (this) seems; vishhamam = dire (situation).
"To be let known becomes an error; not to let know becomes an error how to perform the duty? To me this seems dire situation."
asminn evam gate karye prāpta kālam kṣamam ca kim || 5-13-19
bhaved iti matim bhūyo hanumān pravicārayan |
19. asmin kaarye = this task; evam gate = while it goes this way; praaptakaalam = the time is approaching; kim bhavet = what becomes; kshamam = appropriate; iti = thus; hanuman = Hanuma; bhuuyaH pravichaarayat = thought again; matam = (this) view point.
"This task while it goes this way the time is approaching. What becomes appropriate" thus Hanuma thought again this view point.
yadi sītām adṛṣṭvā aham vānara indra purīm itaḥ || 5-13-20
gamiṣyāmi tataḥ ko me puruṣa artho bhaviṣyati |
20. yadi aham gamishhyaami = if I go; vaanarendra puriim = towards Sugreeva's city; ita ha = from here; adR^ishhTvaa = without seeing; siitaam = Seetha; tataH = from that; kaH = (to) what; purushhaarthaH bhavishhyati = avail will this effort be.
"If I go towards Sugreeva's city from here without seeing Seetha from that to what avail will this effort be?"
mama idam langhanam vyartham sāgarasya bhaviṣyati || 5-13-21
praveśaḥ civa lankāyā rākṣasānām ca darśanam |
21. idam = this; mama = my; saagarasya laN^ghanam = crossing of the ocean; laN^kaayaaH praveshascha = entering the city of Lanka; raakshasaanaam darshanam = the site of Rakshasas; vyartham bhavishhyati = (all this) will become waste.
"My crossing of the ocean entering the city of Lanka the site of rakshasas - all this will become waste."
kim vā vakṣyati sugrīvo harayo va samāgatāḥ || 5-13-22
kiṣkindhām samanuprāptau tau vā daśaratha ātmajau |
22. maam = to me; samanupraaptam = reaching; kishkindhaam = Kishkindha; kim vaksyati sugriivaH = what would Sugreeva say; samaagataaH harayaH vaa = or vanaras there; tau dasharaathmajau vaa = or those sons of Dasharatha (what would they say).
"To me reaching Kishkindha what would Sugreeva say or Vanaras there or those sons of Dasharatha what would they say?"
gatvā tu yadi kākutstham vakṣyāmi param apriyam || 5-13-23
na dṛṣṭā iti mayā sītā tataḥ tyakṣyanti jīvitam |
23. gatvaa = going(there); mayaa = by me; kaakustham = for Rama; siitaa na dR^ishhTeti = Seetha has not been seen; iti = thus; vakshaami yadi = if I say; param apriyam = a very unpleasant (word); tataH = thereafter; jiivitam tyakshati = (Rama) will give up life.
"Going there by me for Rama, �Seetha has not been seen' - thus if I say a very unpleasant word thereafter Rama will give up life."
paruṣam dāruṇam krūram tīkṣṇam indriya tāpanam || 5-13-24
sītā nimittam durvākyam śrutvā sa na bhaviṣyati |
24. shrutvaa = hearing; durvaakhyam = bad words; siitaa nimittam = belonging to Seetha; parushham = (that is) harsh; daaruNam = horrible; kruram = cruel; tiikshaNam = sharp; indriyataapanam = sense agonizing; saH na bhavishhyati = He will not exist.
"Hearing bad word belonging to Seetha that is harsh, horrible, cruel, sharp, sense agonizing, He will not exist."
tam tu kṛccra gatam dṛṣṭvā pancatva gata mānasam || 5-13-25
bhṛśa anurakto medhāvī na bhaviṣyati lakṣmaṇaḥ |
25. dR^ishhTvaa = seeing; tam = that Rama; kR^ichchhra gatam = being with troubles; paJNchatva gatamaanasam = being with a heart towards death; lakshmaNaH = Lakshmana; bhR^ishaanuraktaH = one with great love; medhaavi = and an intellectual; na bhavishhyati = will not exist.
"Seeing that Rama being with troubles, being with a heart towards death, Lakshmana, one with great love and an intellectual will not exist."
vinaṣṭau bhrātarau śrutvā bharato api mariṣyati || 5-13-26
bharatam ca mṛtam dṛṣṭvā śatrughno na bhaviṣyati |
26. shR^itvaa = hearing; braatarau = brothers; vinashhTau = to be dead; bharataH api = Bharata also; marishhyati = will die; dR^ishhTvaa = seeing; mR^itam = the dead; bharatam = Bharata; shatrughnashcha = Shatrughana also; na bhavishhyati = will not exist.
"Hearing brothers to be dead, Bharata also will die. Seeing the dead Bharata, Shatrughana also will not exist."
putrān mṛtān samīkṣya atha na bhaviṣyanti mātaraḥ || 5-13-27
kausalyā ca sumitrā ca kaikeyī ca na saṃśayaḥ |
27. atha = thereafter; sa miikshya = seeing; putraan = sons; mR^itaan = to be dead; maataraH = the mothers; kausalyaa cha = Kausalya sumitraa; cha = and Sumitra; kaikeyii cha = and Kaikeyi; na bhavishhyanti = will not exist; samsayaH na = there is no doubt.
"Thereafter seeing sons to be dead the mothers Kausalya, Sumitra and Kaikeyi will not exist - there is no doubt."
kṛtajñaḥ satya saṃdhaḥ ca sugrīvaḥ plavaga adhipaḥ || 5-13-28
rāmam tathā gatam dṛṣṭvā tataḥ tyakṣyanti jīvitam |
28. kR^itajJNaH = grateful; satyasandhashcha = true to pledge; sugriivaH = Sugreeva; plavagaadhi paH = the leader of Vanaras; dR^ishhTvaa = seeing; raamam = Rama; tathaa gatam = die in that way; jiivitam tyakshyati = will give up life; tataH = thereafter.
"Grateful, true to pledge Sugreeva, the leader of Vanaras, seeing Rama the leader of Vanaras seeing Rama die in that way will give up life thereafter."
durmanā vyathitā dīnā nirānandā tapasvinī || 5-13-29
pīḍitā bhartṛ śokena rumā tyakṣyati jīvitam |
29. piiDitaa = being tortured; bhartrushokena = by the sorrow of husband; vyathitaa = made sad; durmanaaH = by a gloomy heart; diinaa = disconsolate; niraanandaa = without happiness; tapasvinii = to be pitied; rumaa = Ruma; tyakshati = will give up; jiivitam = life.
"Being tortured by the sorrow of husband, made sad by a gloomy heart, disconsolate without happiness, to be pitied, Ruma will give up life."
vālijena tu duhkhena pīḍitā śoka karśitā || 5-13-30
pancatva gamane rājñaḥ tārā api na bhaviṣyati |
30. piiDitaa = being distressed; vaalijenadukhena = from the sorrow of Vali; shokakarshitaa = being emaciated from grief; taaraapi = Tara also; na bhavishhyati = will not exist; raajJNi = (while) the king Sugreeva; paJNchatvam gate = is obtaining death.
"Being distressed from the sorrow of Vali, being emaciated from grief, Tara also will not exist while the king Sugreeva is obtaining death."
mātā pitror vināśena sugrīva vyasanena ca || 5-13-31
kumāro api angadaḥ kasmād dhārayiṣyati jīvitam |
31. kumaaraH = the young; angada api = Angada also; vinaashenaa = from the death; maataa pitro = of mother and father; vyasanena = from the grief; suriivasya = of Sugreeva; kasmaat = why will (he); dhaarayishhyati jiivitam = retain life.
"The young Angada also from the death of mother and father, from the grief of Sugreeva - why will he retain life?"
bhartṛjena tu śokena abhibhūtā vana okasaḥ || 5-13-32
śirāṃsi abhihaniṣyanti talair muṣṭibhir eva ca |
32. vanaukasaH = Vanaras; hyabhibhuutaaH = being rejected; bhatrujena duHkhena = by the sorrow due to their lord; abhihanishhyanti = will strike; shiraamsi = their heads; talaiH = with palms; mushhTibhirevacha = and fists.
"Vanaras being rejected by the sorrow due to their lord will strike their heads with palms and fists."
sāntvena anupradānena mānena ca yaśasvinā || 5-13-33
lālitāḥ kapi rājena prāṇāmḥ tyakṣyanti vānarāḥ |
33. vaanaaraaH = Vanaras; laalitaaH = loved; yashasvinaa kapiraajeH = by the famous Sugreeva; saantvenaa = through good words; anupradaanena = through small gifts; maanena = through respect; chakshyanti = will give up praNaan = lives.
"Vanaras loved by the famous king Sugreeva through good words, through small gifts, through respect will give up lives."
na vaneṣu na śaileṣu na nirodheṣu vā punaḥ || 5-13-34
krīḍām anubhaviṣyanti sametya kapi kunjarāḥ |
34. kapikuJNjaraaH = best among Vanaras; na anubhavishhyanti = will not enjoy; sametya = together; kriiDaam = sport; vaneshhu = in forest; na shaileshhu = not on mountains; nirodheshhu vaa punaH = not again in covered places.
"Best among Vanaras will not enjoy together sport in forest, not on mountains, not again in covered places."
saputra dārāḥ sāmātyā bhartṛ vyasana pīḍitāḥ || 5-13-35
śaila agrebhyaḥ patiṣyanti sametya viṣameṣu ca |
35. sa putra dhaaraaH = together with wife and children; saamaatyaaH = and together with ministers; bhartuvyasana piiDitaaH = being tortured by grief of their lord; patishhyanti = they will fall down; shailaagrebhyaH = from top of mountains; sameshhu = on to flat lands; vishhameshhu cha = and on to rugged lands.
"Together with wife and children and together with ministers being tortured by grief of their lord, they will fall down from top of mountains on to flat lands and on to rugged lands."
viṣam udbandhanam vā api praveśam jvalanasya vā || 5-13-36
upavāsam atho śastram pracariṣyanti vānarāḥ |
36. vaanaraaH = Vanaras; pracharishhyanti = will perform(death); vishham = (taking) poison; utbandhanam vaapi = or get hanged; jvalanasya pravesham vaa = or entering fire; upavaasam = or fasting; atho = or; shastram = a weapon.
"Vanaras will perform death by taking poison or getting hanged or entering fire or fasting or a weapon."
ghoram ārodanam manye gate mayi bhaviṣyati || 5-13-37
ikṣvāku kula nāśaḥ ca nāśaḥ caiva vana okasām |
37 mayi gate = while I am going; manye = I think; ikshvaaku kula naashashcha = (about) the destruction of Ikshvaaku dynasty; naashashcaiva = and destruction; vanaukasaam = of Vanaras; bhavishhyati = and there will be; ghoram aarodhanam = a terrible wail.
"While I am going I think about the destruction of Ikshvaaku dynasty and destruction of Vanaras and there will be a terrible wail."
so aham na eva gamiṣyāmi kiṣkindhām nagarīm itaḥ || 5-13-38
na hi śakṣyāmi aham draṣṭum sugrīvam maithilīm vinā |
38. aham = I; naiva gamishhyaami = will not go; itaH = from here; kishkindhaam nagariim = to the kishkindha city; aham = I; na cha shakshyaamyaham = (am)not capable; drashhTum = to see; sugriivam = Sugreeva; maithiliim vinaa = without Seetha.
"I will not go from here to the Kishkindha city. I am not capable to see Sugreeva without Seetha."
mayi agaccati ca ihasthe dharma ātmānau mahā rathau || 5-13-39
āśayā tau dhariṣyete vanarāḥ ca manasvinaḥ |
39. mayii = I; agachchhati = while not going; ihasthe = being here; dharmaatmaanau = those virtuous ones; mahaa rathau = those great warriors; tau = those two Rama and Lakshmana; dharishhyate = will live; aashayaa = by hope; vaanaraashcha = Vanaras also; manasvinaH = who are agile.
"I while not going, being here those virtuous ones, those great warriors those two Rama and Lakshmana will live by hope. Vanaras also who are agile will live."
hasta ādāno mukha ādāno niyato vṛkṣa mūlikaḥ || 5-13-40
vānaprastho bhaviṣyāmi adṛṣṭvā janaka ātmajām |
sāgara anūpaje deśe bahu mūla phala udake || 5-13-41
40; 41. adR^ishhtvaa = without seeing; janakaatmajaa = Seetha; hastaa danaH = (subsisting on) whatever falls on hand; mukhaadaanaH = whatever comes to mouth; niyataH = being self restrained; bhavishhyaami = will become; vaana prastaH = a hermit; vR^ikshamuulikaH = living on trees and herbs; saagaraanupaje dese = at a region near ocean; bahumuulaphalodake = which has many roots; fruits and much water.
"Without seeing Seetha subsisting on whatever falls on hand, whatever comes to mouth, being self restrained I will become a hermit living on trees and herbs at a region near ocean which has many roots, fruits and much water."
citām kṛtvā pravekṣyāmi samiddham araṇī sutam |
upaviṣṭasya vā samyag linginam sādhayiṣyataḥ || 5-13-42
śarīram bhakṣayiṣyanti vāyasāḥ śvāpadāni ca |
42. pravekshyaami = or I will enter; araNiisutam = fire; samidham = which is glowing; chitaam kR^itvaa = after making a funeral pile; vaa = or; upavishhTasya = while sitting; saadhayishhyataH = performing; liN^gnam = fasting onto death; sariram bhakshayishhyanti = my body will be eaten; vaayasaaH = by crows; shvapadaani cha = and by beasts of prey.
"Or I will enter fire which is glowing after making a funeral pile or while sitting performing fasting onto death my body will be eaten by crows and by beasts of prey."
idam api ṛṣibhir dṛṣṭam niryāṇam iti me matiḥ || 5-13-43
samyag āpaḥ pravekṣyāmi na cet paśyāmi jānakīm |
43. idam = this; niryaaNam = way to giving up body; dR^ishhTam = has been seen; maharshhibhi = by sages; iti = this; me matiH = is my; opinion; jaanakiim na chetpashyaami = if I do not see Seetha; pravekshyaami = I will enter; samyak aapaH = lot of water.
"This way to giving up body has been seen by sages. This is my opinion if I do not see Seetha, I will enter lot of water."
sujāta mūlā subhagā kīrti mālā yaśasvinī || 5-13-44
prabhagnā cira rātrī iyam mama sītām apaśyataḥ |
44. siitaam apashyataH = not seeing Seetha; mama kiirtimaalaa = my garland of glory; chiraraatraaya = of long time; sujaatamuula = with a strong foundation; subhagaa = beautiful one; yashasvinii = together with fame; prabhagnaa = has been destroyed.
"Not seeing Seetha, my garland of glory of long time with a strong foundation, beautiful one together with fame has been destroyed."
tāpaso vā bhaviṣyāmi niyato vṛkṣa mūlikaḥ || 5-13-45
na itaḥ pratigamiṣyāmi tām adṛṣṭvā asita īkṣaṇām |
45. bhavishhyaami = I will become; taapasovaa = as a hermit; niyataH = who is self restrained; vR^ikshamuulikaH = resorting to trees and herbs; na pratigamishhyaami = I will not go; itaH = from here; adR^ishhTvaa = not seeing; taam = Seetha; asitekshanaam = with black eyes.
"I will become a hermit who is self restrained resorting to trees and herbs, I will not go from here not seeing Seetha with black eyes."
yadi itaḥ pratigaccāmi sītām anadhigamya tām || 5-13-46
angadaḥ sahitaiḥ sarvair vānarair na bhaviṣyati |
46. yadi pratigachchhaami = if I go back; itaH = from here; anadhigamyaa = without knowing; taam siitaam = that Seetha; na bhavishhyati = there will not be; angadhaH = Angada; sarvaiH tai vaanaraiH saH = together with all those Vanaras.
"If I go back from here without knowing that Seetha, there will not be Angada together with all those Vanaras."
vināśe bahavo doṣā jīvan prāpnoti bhadrakam || 5-13-47
tasmāt prāṇān dhariṣyāmi dhruvo jīvati samgamaḥ |
47. bahavaH doshhaaH = there are lot of blemishes; vinaashe = in dieing; jiivan = one who is alive; pashyati = sees; bhadraaNi = auspicious things; tasmaat = for that reason; dharishhyaami = I will keep; praaNaan = my life; druvaH = it is definite; jiivitasamgaaH = for the meeting of people who are alive.
"There are lots of blemishes in dying; one who is alive sees auspicious things. For that reason I will keep my life. It is definite for the meeting of people who are alive."
evam bahu vidham duhkham manasā dhārayan muhuḥ || 5-13-48
na adhyagaccat tadā pāram śokasya kapi kunjaraḥ |
48. kapikuJNjaraH = Hanuma; dhaarayan = carrying; manasaa = in mind; bahuvidham duHkham = sorrow of various kinds; muhuH = again and again; naadhyagachchhat = did not get; tadaa = then; shokhasya paaram = the crossing of sorrow.
Hanuma carrying in mind sorrow of various kinds again and again did not get then the crossing of sorrow.
rāvaṇam vā vadhiṣyāmi daśagrīvam mahā balam || 5-13-49
kāmam astu hṛtā sītā pratyācīrṇam bhaviṣyati |
49. vaa = otherwise; vadhishhyaami = I will kill; raavaNam = Ravana; dashagriivam = with ten heads; mahaabalam = with great prowess; hR^itaa = the stolen; siitaa = Seetha; kaamam astu = whatever happened to her; pratyaachiirNam bhavishhyati = this will be a revenge to that.
"Otherwise I will kill Ravana with ten heads, with great prowess. Whatever happened to the stolen Seetha, this will be revenge to that."
athavā enam samutkṣipya upari upari sāgaram || 5-13-50
rāmāya upahariṣyāmi paśum paśu pater iva |
50. athavaa = otherwise; samutkshipyaa = carrying; evam = this Ravana; saagaram uparyupari = over the surface of ocean; upaharishhyaami = I will take him; raamaaya = to Rama; pashum iva = like an animal; pashupate = to the lord of animals.
"Otherwise carrying this Ravana over the surface of ocean I will take him to Rama like an animal to the lord of animals."
iti cintā samāpannaḥ sītām anadhigamya tām || 5-13-51
dhyāna śokā parīta ātmā cintayām āsa vānaraḥ |
51. vaanaraH = Hanuma; anadhigamya = not seeing; taam siitaam = that Seetha; iti = thus; samaapannaH = begetting; chintaam = sorrow; chintayaamaasa = thought; dhyaanashokapariitaatma = with a mind cluttered with thoughts and sorrow.
Hanuma not seeing that Seetha thus begetting sorrow, thought with a mind cluttered with thoughts and sorrow.
yāvat sītām na paśyāmi rāma patnīm yaśasvinīm || 5-13-52
tāvad etām purīm lankām vicinomi punaḥ punaḥ |
52. yaavat = to wherever; pashyaami = I see; siitaam = Seetha; raamapatniim = the wife of Sri Rama; yashasviniim = and one with fame; tavat = till there; vichinomi = I will search; etaam laN^kaam puriim = the city of Lanka; punaH punaH = again and again.
"To wherever I see Seetha, the wife of Sri Rama and one with fame, till there I will search the city of Lanka again and again."
sampāti vacanāc ca api rāmam yadi ānayāmi aham || 5-13-53
apaśyan rāghavo bhāryām nirdahet sarva vānarān |
53. sampaati vachanaat = based on words of Sampati; aham aanayaami yadi = if I bring; raamam = Sri Rama(then); raghavaH = Sri Rama; apasyan = not seeing; bhaaryaam = wife; nirdahet = will burn; sarva vaanaraan = all Vanaras.
"Based on words of Sampati if I bring Sri Rama then Sri Rama not seeing wife will burn all Vanaras."
iha eva niyata āhāro vatsyāmi niyata indriyaḥ || 5-13-54
na mat kṛte vinaśyeyuḥ sarve te nara vānarāḥ |
54. niyataahaaraH = with limited food; yatendriyaH = and with restrained senses; vatsyaami = and I live; ihaiva = here itself; matkR^ite = by my deed; te naravaanaraaH = those men and vanaras; na vinasheyuH = let they not be destroyed.
"With limited food and with restrained senses, I live here itself. By my deed those men and vanaras - let they not be destroyed."
aśoka vanikā ca api mahatī iyam mahā drumā || 5-13-55
imām abhigamiṣyāmi na hi iyam vicitā mayā |
55. yaa = whatever; iyam = this; ashokavanikaa = Ashoka garden; mahaadR^imaa = with great trees; dR^ishyate = is being seen; imam = this; adhigamishhyaami = I will obtain; iyam = this; na vichitaaH = has not been searched; mayaa = by me.
"Whatever this Ashoka garden with great trees is being seen this I will obtain. This has not been searched by me."
vasūn rudrāmḥ tathā ādityān aśvinau maruto api ca || 5-13-56
namaḥ kṛtvā gamiṣyāmi rakṣasām śoka vardhanaḥ |
56. namaskR^itvaa = saluting; vasuun = the eight Vasus; rudraan = Rudras; tathaa = and; aadityaan = Adityas; aswinau = the two Aswinis; maruto api cha = seven maruts; gamishhyaami = I will go; shokavardhanaH = to increase the grief; rakshasaam = of Rakshasas.
"Saluting the eight Vasus, Rudras and Adityas, the two Aswinis, seven Maruts, I will go to increase the grief of Rakshasas."
jitvā tu rākṣasān devīm ikṣvāku kula nandinīm || 5-13-57
sampradāsyāmi rāmāyā yathā siddhim tapasvine |
57. jitvaatu = defeating; sarvaan rakshasaan = all Rakshasas; sampradaasyaami = I will give; ikshvaaku kulanandinii = Seetha who gives happiness to Ikshvaaku dynasty; raamaya = to Sri Rama; sidhhim yathaa = as the fruit of austerity; tapasvine = to an ascetic.
"Defeating all rakshasas, I will give Seetha, who gives happiness to Ikshvaaku dynasty to Sri Rama as the fruit of austerity to an ascetic."
sa muhūrtam iva dhyātvā cintā vigrathita indriyaḥ || 5-13-58
udatiṣṭhan mahā bāhur hanūmān māruta ātmajaḥ |
58. mahaa tejaaH = the great gloried; maarutaatmajaH = son of Vayu; saH hanuman = that Hanuma; vudatishhTat = got up; chintaaH grathitedriyaH = with his senses tied by grief; dhyaatvaa = meditating; muhurtam iva = for a moment.
The gloried son of Vayu that Hanuma got up with his senses tied by grief.
namo astu rāmāya salakṣmaṇāya |
devyai ca tasyai janaka ātmajāyai |
namo astu rudra indra yama anilebhyo |
namo astu candra arka marud gaṇebhyaḥ || 5-13-59
59. namaH astu = let there be salutations; raamaaya = to Sri Rama; sa lakshmaNaaya = together with Lakshmana; tasyai janakaatmajaayai cha = also to that; daughter of Janaka; devyai = who is divine namaH astu = let there be salutations; rudrendra yamaanilebhyaH = to Rudra; Indra; Yama and Vaayu; namaH astu = let there be salutations; chandrarkamarudgaNebhyaH = to Chandra; Sun and Marut ganas.
"Let there be salutations to Sri Rama together with Lakshmana, also to that, who is divine let there be salutations. To Rudra, Indra, Yama and Vaayu let there be salutations."
sa tebhyaḥ tu namaḥ kṛtvā sugrīvāya ca mārutiḥ |
diśaḥ sarvāḥ samālokya aśoka vanikām prati || 5-13-60
60. saH marutiH = that Hanuma; namaskR^itvaa = saluting; tebhyaH = to all those; sugriivaaya cha = and also to Sugreeva; samaalokya = observing; sarvaaH dishaH = all directions; gataH = went; ashokavanikaam = towards Ashoka garden.
That Hanuma saluting to all those and also to Sugreeva, observing all directions went towards Ashoka garden.
sa gatvā manasā pūrvam aśoka vanikām śubhām |
uttaram cintayām āsa vānaro māruta ātmajaḥ || 5-13-61
61. maarutaatmajaH = the son of Vayu; saH vaanara = that Vanara; gatvaa = went; manasaa = by mind; puurvam = before itself; ashoka vanikaam = toward that Ashoka garden; shubham = the auspicious one; chintayaamaasa = pondered; uttaram = the task to be done later.
The son of Vayu, that Vanara went by mind before itself toward that Ashoka garden. The auspicious one pondered the task to be done later.
dhruvam tu rakṣo bahulā bhaviṣyati vana ākulā |
aśoka vanikā cintyā sarva saṃskāra saṃskṛtā || 5-13-62
62. ashokavanikaa = the Ashoka garden; dR^ivam = definitely; bhavishhyati = will be; rakshobahulaa = with many rakshasas; vanaakulaa = filled with trees; sarvasamsaara samskR^itaa = adorned with various cultures; puNyaa = and sacred.
"The Ashoka garden definitely will be with many rakshasas, filled with trees, adorned with various cultures and sacred."
rakṣiṇaḥ ca atra vihitā nūnam rakṣanti pādapān |
bhagavān api sarva ātmā na atikṣobham pravāyati || 5-13-63
samkṣipto ayam mayā ātmā ca rāma arthe rāvaṇasya ca |
63. tatra = there; muulam = definitely; rakshinashcha = guards; rakshyanti = will be protecting; vihitaaha = assigned; paadapaan = trees; sarvaatma = omni present; bhagavaan api = lord Vayu also; pravaati vai = will be blowing by; naatikshobham = without force; mayaa = by me; iyam atmaa = this body; samkshiptaH = has been made small; raamaadhe = for the sake of Sri Rama; ravaNasya cha = and (to avoid) Ravana.
"There definitely guards will be protecting assigned, trees, omnipresent Lord Vayu also will be blowing by without force, and by me this body has been made small for the sake of Sri Rama and to avoid Ravana."
siddhim me samvidhāsyanti devāḥ sarṣi gaṇāḥ tv iha || 5-13-64
brahmā svayambhūr bhagavān devāḥ caiva diśantu me |
siddhim agniḥ ca vāyuḥ ca puru hūtaḥ ca vajradhṛt || 5-13-65
varuṇaḥ pāśa hastaḥ ca soma ādityai tathaiva ca |
aśvinau ca mahātmānau marutaḥ sarva eva ca || 5-13-66
siddhim sarvāṇi bhūtāni bhūtānām caiva yaḥ prabhuḥ |
dāsyanti mama ye ca anye adṛṣṭāḥ pathi gocarāḥ || 5-13-67
64;65;66;67. devaaH = Devas; sarshhigaNaaH = together with ascetics; samvidhaasyanti = will make; siddhim = success; me = to me; iha = here; svayambhuuH = self born; brahmaa = Brahma; bhagvaan = the divine one; devaashchaivaa = and devas; agnishcha = and Agni; vaayushcha = and Vaayu; puruhuutashcha = devendra; vajrabhR^it = wearing the weapon of Vajra; varuNashcha = and Varuna ; paashahastaH = with Pasha in hand; tathaiva cha = and also; somaadityau = the Sun and the moon; aswinau cha = and the aswinis; mahaatmaanau = the great ones; marutaH = maruts; sharvaH eva cha = and Eshwara; dishantu = may give; me siddhim = my success; yaH = whoever; prabhuuH = is the lord; bhuutaanaam = of all living creatures; sarvaaNi bhuutaani = among all living beings; anye = others; ye = who; adR^ishhTaaH = being unseen; ghocharaaH = exist; pathi = in the path; daasyanti = may give; sidhhim = success; mama = to me.
"Devas together with ascetics will make success to me here, self born Brahma the divine one and devas and Agni and Vaayu, Devendra wearing the weapon of Vajra and Varuna with Pasha in hand and also the Sun and the moon and the aswinis. The great ones Maruts and Eshwara may give my success. Whoever is the lord of all living creatures among all living beings others who being unseen exist in the path may give success to me."
tad unnasam pāṇḍura dantam avraṇam |
śuci smitam padma palāśa locanam |
drakṣye tad āryā vadanam kadā nv aham |
prasanna tārā adhipa tulya darśanam || 5-13-68
68. kadaa = when; aham drakshye nu = will I see; tat aarya vadanam = that noble face; unnasam = with a high nose; paaNDuram dantam = with white teeth; avraNam = without any injuries; shuchismitam = with a bright smile; padmaphalaasha lochanam = with eyes resembling lotus petals; prasanna taaradhipa tulya darshanam = with sight equaling the splendor of clear full moon.
"When will I see that noble face with a high nose, with white teeth without any injuries with a bright smile, with eyes resembling lotus petals with sight equaling the splendor of clear full moon?"
kṣudreṇa pāpena nṛśaṃsa karmaṇā |
sudāruṇa alāmkṛta veṣa dhāriṇā|
bala abhibhūtā abalā tapasvinī |
katham nu me dṛṣṭa pathe adya sā bhavet || 5-13-69
69. kadam = how; saa abalaa = that powerless Seetha; tapasvinii = helpless one; balaabhibhuutaa = forcefully taken away; kshudreNa = (by the) mean ; paapena = vile (Ravana); nR^ishamsa karmaNa = with a cruel action; sudaaruNa alankR^ita veshha dhaariNaa = with a horribly decorated form; bhavet nu = will fall; me dR^ishhTipathe = in the range of my sight; adya = today.
"How that powerless Seetha, a helpless one, forcefully taken away by the mean vile Ravana with a cruel action, with a horribly decorated form will fall in the range of my sight today."
- - -
ityārṣe śrīmadrāmāyaṇe ādikāvye sundarakāṇḍe trayodaśaḥ sargaḥ
|Top of Page||1||2||3||4|
© 2003 Jan, Durga and Kishore Kopalle