In this chapter Hanuma gets discouraging thoughts about Seetha. He thinks that Seetha might be dead. He thus gets into depression for a moment.
sa tasya madhye bhavanasya vānaro |
latā gRhāmḥ citra gṛhān niśā gṛhān |
jagāma sītām prati darśana utsuko |
na ca eva tām paśyati cāru darśanām || 5-12-1
1. saH maarutiH = That Hanuma; darshanotsukaH = interested in sight; siitaam prati = toward Seetha; madhye = in the middle of; tasya bhavanasya = that building; jagaama = went; lataagR^ihaan = (towards) houses made of plant creepers; chitragR^ihaan = art houses; nishaagR^ihaan = nocturnal houses; na chaiva pashyati = but did not see; taam = Her; chaarudarshanaam = with a beautiful appearance.
That Hanuma interested in sight of Seetha, in the middle of that building, went towards houses made of plant creepers, art houses, and nocturnal houses but did not see Her with a beautiful appearance.
sa cintayām āsa tato mahā kapiḥ |
priyām apaśyan raghu nandanasya tām |
dhruvam nu sītā mriyate yathā na me |
vicinvato darśanam eti maithilī || 5-12-2
2. saH mahaakapiH = That great Hanuma; tataH = then later; apashyan = not seeing; taam = that Seetha; priyaam = dear; raghunanadanasya = to Rama; chintayaamaasa = thought thus; me = to me; vichinvataH = searching; maithilii = Seetha; yathaa = in what way; darshanam = appearance; na upayiti = not being obtained(from that); siitaa = Seetha; dhruvam = definitely; mriyate = has died.
That great Hanuma then later not seeing that Seetha dear to Rama thought thus: "to me searching Seetha in whatever way appearance not being obtained, from that Seetha definitely has died."
sā rākṣasānām pravareṇa bālā |
sva śīla samrakṣaṇa tat parā satī |
anena nūnam pratiduṣṭa karmaṇā |
hatā bhaved ārya pathe pare sthitā || 5-12-3
3. saa jaanakii = That Seetha; sthitaa = standing; pare aaryapathe = in the best traditional path; vashiilasamrakshaNaa tatparaa satii = being chaste interested in preserving her character; hataabhavet = must have been killed; anena raakshasaanaam pravareNa = by the king of these Rakshasas; pratidushhThakarmaNaa = who performed evil deeds; nuunam = this is certain.
"That Seetha standing in the best traditional path being chaste interested, in preserving her character must have been killed by the king of these Rakshasas who performed evil deeds - this is certain."
virūpa rūpā vikṛtā vivarcaso |
mahā ānanā dīrgha virūpa darśanāḥ |
samīkṣya sā rākṣasa rāja yoṣito |
bhayād vinaṣṭā janaka īśvara ātmajā|| 5-12-4
4. saa janakeshwara aatmajaa = that daughter of king Janaka; vinashhTaa = died; bhayaat = of fear; samiikshya = seeing; raakshasa raajayoshhitaH = the wives of Ravana; viruuparuupaaH = with crooked appearances; vikR^itaaH = horrible ones; vivarcha saH = without radiance; mahaananaaH = with great faces; diirgha viruupa darshanaaH = with long and crooked eyes.
"That daughter of King Janaka died of fear seeing the wives of Ravana with crooked appearances - horrible ones without radiance with great faces with long and crooked eyes."
sītām adRṣṭvā hi anavāpya pauruṣam |
vihRtya kālam saha vānaraiḥ ciram |
na me asti sugrīva samīpagā gatiḥ |
sutīkṣṇa daṇḍo balavāmḥ ca vānaraḥ || 5-12-5
5. adR^ishhTvaa = without seeing; siitaam = Seetha; anavaapya = not obtaining; paurushham = destiny; vihR^itya = and wandering; chiram kaalam = for a long time; vaanaraiH saH = together with Vanaras; me = to me; gatiH naasthi = there is no path; sugriiva samiipagaa = to go near Sugreeva; vaanaraH = Sugreeva; sutiikshaNadaNDaH = has a sharp punishment; balavaamshcha = and also is strong.
"Without seeing Seetha, not obtaining destiny and wandering for a long time together with Vanaras, to me there is not a path to go near Sugreeva. Sugreeva has a sharp punishment and also is strong."
dṛṣṭam antaḥ puram sarvam dṛṣṭvā rāvaṇa yoṣitaḥ |
na sītā dṛśyate sādhvī vṛthā jāto mama śramaḥ || 5-12-6
6. sarvam = all; antaHpuram = inner city; dR^ishhTaam = has been seen; raajayoshhitaH = women of Ravana; dR^ishhTaaH = have been seen; saadhvii = the chaste; siitaa = Seetha; na dR^ishyate = has not been seen; mama shramaH = my effort; jaataH = became; vR^ithaa = wasteful.
"All inner city has been seen. Women of Ravana have been seen. The chaste Seetha has not been seen. My effort became wastefull."
kim nu mām vānarāḥ sarve gatam vakṣyanti samgatāḥ |
gatvā tatra tvayā vīra kim kṛtam tad vadasva naḥ || 5-12-7
7. maam = to me; gatam = who has gone back; sarve vaanaraaH = all vanaras; samgataaH = after meeting; kim nu = what; vakshyanti = they would say; viiraa = O strong one; gatvaa = going; tatra = there; kim kR^itam = what has been done; tvayaa = by you; tat vadasva = tell that; naH = to us.
"To me who has gone back all Vanaras after meeting what they would say? O strong one! Going there, what has been done by you? Tell that to us."
adṛṣṭvā kim pravakṣyāmi tām aham janaka ātmajām |
dhruvam prāyam upeṣyanti kālasya vyativartane || 5-12-8
8. adR^ishhTvaa = without seeing; tam janakaatmajaam = that Seetha; kim = what; pravakshyaami = can I say; vyativartane = due to passing; kaalasya = of time; dR^ivam = definitely; upaishhyanti = they will obtain; praayam = fire.
"Without seeing that Seetha what can I say? Due to passing of time, definitely they will obtain fire."
kim vā vakṣyati vRddhaḥ ca jāmbavān angadaḥ ca saḥ |
gatam pāram samudrasya vānarāḥ ca samāgatāḥ || 5-12-9
9. gatam = (to me) who had gone; paaram = for the other shore; samudrasya = of the ocean; kim vaa = what will; vR^iddhaH jaambavaan = the old Jambava; vakshyati = say; saH = (what would)that; angadhashcha = Angada and; samaagataaH vaanaraashcha = vanaras who meet(say).
"To me who had gone for the other shore of the ocean what will the old Jambavan say? What would that Angada and vanaras who meet say?"
anirvedaḥ śriyo mūlam anirvedaḥ param sukham |
anirvedo hi satatam sarva artheṣu pravartakaḥ || 5-12-10
10. airhead = non-depression; mullah = is root; shriyaH = of development; anirvedaH = Absence of despondency; param sukham = is the greatest comfort; anirvedaH = self reliance; satatam = is always; pravartakaH hi = is indeed the promoter; sarvaartheshhu = in all matters.
"Non-depression is root of development. Absence of despondency is the greatest comfort. Self reliance always is indeed the promoter in all matters."
karoti saphalam jantoḥ karma yac ca karoti saḥ |
tasmād anirveda kRtam yatnam ceṣṭe aham uttamam || 5-12-11
adṛṣṭāmḥ ca viceṣyāmi deśān rāvaṇa pālitān |
11. yat = whatever; karma = action; karoti = (human) does; tat = that; jantoH = (action) of man; saphalam saH karoti = is made to be successful by non-depression; tasmaat = for that reason; aham = I; cheshhTe = will perform; uttamam prayatnam = a best effort; anirvedakR^itam = together with non-depression; vicheshhyaam taavat = I will search all those; deshaan = regions; raavanapaalitaan = ruled by Ravana; adR^ishhTaan = not (yet) seen.
"Whatever action a human does that action of man is made to be successful by non-depression. For that reason I will perform a best effort together with non-depression. I will search all those regions ruled by Ravana not yet seen."
āpāna śālā vicitāḥ tathā puṣpa gṛhāṇi ca || 5-12-12
citra śālāḥ ca vicitā bhūyaḥ krīḍā gṛhāṇi ca |
niṣkuṭa antara rathyāḥ ca vimānāni ca sarvaśaḥ || 5-12-13
12;13. apaanashaalaaH = bars; vichitaaH = have been searched; tathaa = in the same way; pushhpagR^ihaanicha = flower houses; chitrashaalaashcha = art houses; vichitaaH = have been searched; bhuuyaH = again; kriiDaagR^ihaanicha = pleasure houses; nishhkuTaantararathyaashcha = pathways in the middle of gardens; vimaanaanicha = buildings; sarvashaH = in all directions(have been searched).
"Bars have been searched; in the same way flower houses, art houses have been searched; again pleasure houses, pathways in the middle of gardens, buildings in all directions have been searched."
iti saṃcintya bhūyo api vicetum upacakrame |
bhūmī gṛhāmḥ caitya gṛhān gṛha atigṛhakān api || 5-12-14
14. iti = thus; samchintya = thinking; upachakrame = (Hanuma) began; vichetum = to search; bhuuyopi = again; bhuumiigR^ihaan = undergrounds; chaityagR^ihaan = houses at the beginning of street intersections; gR^ihaati gR^ihakaanapi = and also small houses faraway from the main houses.
Thus thinking Hanuma began to search again undergrounds, houses at the beginning of street intersections and also small houses faraway from the main houses.
utpatan nipatamḥ ca api tiṣṭhan gaccan punaḥ kvacit |
apāvṛṇvamḥ ca dvārāṇi kapāṭāni avaghaṭṭayan || 5-12-15
praviśan niṣpatamḥ ca api prapatann utpatann api |
sarvam api avakāśam sa vicacāra mahā kapiḥ || 5-12-16
15;16. saH mahaakapiH = the great Hanuma; utpatan = flying; punaH punaH = again and again; nishhpatamshchaapi = and jumping down; tishhThan = standing up; ghachchhan = walking; dvaaraaNi apaavR^iNvan = opening doors; kavaaTaani avaghaaTayan = pushing doors; pravishan = and entering(inside); nishhpatamshchaapi = coming out; prapatan = climbing down; utpatan api = climbing up; vichachaara = wandered; sarvam avakaasam = all opportunity.
The great Hanuma flying again and again and jumping down, standing up, walking, opening doors, pushing doors and entering inside, coming out, climbing down, climbing up wandered all opportunity.
catur angula mātro api na avakāśaḥ sa vidyate |
rāvaṇa antaḥ pure tasmin yam kapir na jagāma saḥ || 5-12-17
17. saH kapiH = that Hanuma; tasmin ravaNaantaH pure = in that city of Ravana; yam na jagaama = whatever region he did not go; saH = avakaashaH = that region; na vidhyate = was not there; chaturaN^guLa maatro.api = even for four angulas.
That Hanuma in that city of Ravana - whatever region he did not go that region was not there even for four angulas.
prākara antara rathyāḥ ca vedikaḥ caitya saṃśrayāḥ |
śvabhrāḥ ca puṣkariṇyaḥ ca sarvam tena avalokitam || 5-12-18
18. prakaarantara radhyaashcha = streets in the middle of fort walls; vedikaaH = platforms; chaitya samshrayaaH = together with the intersection of four streets; diirghikaaH = wells; pushhkariNyashcha = lakes; sarvam = all these; avalokitam = had been seen; tena = by him.
Streets between fort walls, platforms together with the intersection of four streets, wells, lakes all these had been seen by him.
rākṣasyo vividha ākārā virūpā vikṛtāḥ tathā |
dṛṣṭā hanūmatā tatra na tu sā janaka ātmajā || 5-12-19
19. raakshasyaH = Rakshasa women; vividhaakaaraaH = of various forms; viruupaaH = with crooked forms; tathaa = and; vikR^utaaH = horrific forms; dR^ishhTaaH = had been seen; tatra = there; hanumataa = by Hanuma; na tu = but not; saa janakaatmajaa = that Seetha.
Rakshasa women of various forms, with crooked forms and horrific forms had been seen there by Hanuma but not that Seetha.
rūpeṇa apratimā loke varā vidyā dhara striyaḥ |
dṛṭā hanūmatā tatra na tu rāghava nandinī || 5-12-20
20. varaaH = the best; vidhyaadhara striiyaH = Vidhyaadara women; ruupeNa apratimaaH = incomparable by beauty; loke = in the world; dR^ishhTaaH = had been seen; tatra = there; hanumataa = by Hanuma; na tu = but not; raaghavanandinii = Seetha.
The best Vidhyadhara women incomparable by beauty in the world had been seen there by Hanuma, but not Seetha.
nāga kanyā vara ārohāḥ pūrṇa candra nibha ānanāḥ |
dṛṣṭā hanūmatā tatra na tu sītā sumadhyamā || 5-12-21
21.naagakanyaaH = naaga women; varaaroha = with beautiful buttocks; puurNachandra nibhaananaaH = with faces equaling full moon; dR^ishhTaaH = had been seen; hanumataa = by Hanuma; tatra = there; na tu = but not; siitaa = Seetha; su madhyamaa = with a beautiful waist.
Naaga women with beautiful buttocks, with faces equaling full moon had been seen by Hanuma there, but not Seetha with a beautiful waist.
pramathya rākṣasa indreṇa nāga kanyā balādd hṛtāḥ |
dṛṣṭā hanūmatā tatra na sā janaka nandinī || 5-12-22
22. naagakanyaaH = naaga women; hR^itaaH = who had been stolen; balata = forcefully; pramathya = being defeated; raakshasendreNa = by Ravana; dR^ishhTaaH = had been seen; tatra = there; hanumataa = by Hanuma; na saa janakanandinii = not that Seetha.
Naaga women who had been stolen forcefully, being defeated by Ravana had been seen there by Hanuma, not that Seetha
so apaśyamḥ tām mahā bāhuḥ paśyamḥ ca anyā vara striyaḥ |
viṣasāda mahā bāhur hanūmān māruta ātmajaḥ || 5-12-23
23. saH hanuman = That Hanuma; mahaa baahuH = with great arms; diimaan = the wise one; maarutaatmaja = the son of Vayu; apasyan = not seeing; taam = that Seetha; pasyan = seeing; anyaaH = other; varastriyaH = best women; vishhasaada = became depressed; muhuH = again and again.
That Hanuma with great arms, the wise one, the son of Vayu not seeing that Seetha and seeing other women became depressed again and again.
udyogam vānara indrāṇam plavanam sāgarasya ca |
vyartham vīkṣya anila sutaḥ cintām punar upāgamat || 5-12-24
24. viikshya = seeing; udyogam = the effort; vaaNarendraaNaam = of the best Vanaras; plavanam cha = and the crossing; saagarasya = of ocean; vyartham = as being wasted; anilasutaH = Hanuma; chintaam upaagamat = got depression; punaH = again.
Seeing the effort of the best Vanaras and the crossing of ocean as being wasted, Hanuma got depression again.
avatīrya vimānāc ca hanūmān māruta ātmajaḥ |
cintām upajagāma atha śoka upahata cetanaḥ || 5-12-25
25. atha = there after; maarutaatmajaH = the son of Vaayu; hanuman = Hanuma; avatiirya = got down; vimaanaat = from Pushpaka; upaagamat = obtained; chintaam = thought; shokohahatachetanaH = with a mind overcome with grief.
Thereafter the son of Vayu Hanuma got down from Pushpaka, obtained thought with a mind overcome with grief.
- - -
ityārṣe śrīmadrāmāyaṇe ādikāvye sundarakāṇḍe dvādaśaḥ sargaḥ ||
|Top of Page||1||2||3||4|
© 2002 Dec, Durga and Kishore Kopalle