In this Chapter Hanuma has first glimpse of Ravana in his house. He also observes various wives of Ravana sleeping in the house. He sees Mandodari and thinks her to be Seetha.
tatra divya upamam mukhyam sphaaTikam ratna bhuuShitam |
avekShamaaNo hanumaan dadarsha shayana aasanam || 5-10-1
daantakaaJNchanichitraaN^gervaishcha varaasanaiH |
mahaarhastaraNopetairupapannam mahaadhanaiH || 5-10-2
1;2. tatra = in that house; avekshamaaNaH = while observing; hanumaan = Hanuma; dadarsha = saw; shayanaasanam = (a portion of house with) beds and couches; upetam = consisting of; varaasanaiH = best couches; divyopamam = equaling those in heaven; mukhyam = best; sphaaTikam = made of crystal; ratnabhuushhitam = decorated with diamonds; daantakaaJNchana chitraaN^gaiH = with wonderful parts made of ivory and gold; vyDuuryaiH mahaarH aastaraNa upetaiH = covered with best beds made of cat's eye gems; mahaadhanaiH = of great value.
In that house, while observing, Hanuma saw a portion of house with beds and couches, consisting of best couches equaling those in heaven, made of crystal decorated with diamonds, with wonderful parts made of ivory and gold, covered with best beds made of cat's eye gems of great value.
tasya ca ekatame deshe so agrya maalya vibhuuShitam |
dadarsha paaNDuram chatram taaraa adhipati samnibham || 5-10-3
3. saH = Hanuma; dadarsha = saw; ekatamedeshe = in a part; tasya = of that room; chhatram = an umbrella; paaNDuram = white in colour; agryamaalaavibhuushhitam = decorated with best flower garlands; taaraadhipatisannibham = and resembling moon the lord of stars.
Hanuma saw in a part of that room, an umbrella white in colour decorated with best flower garlands and resembling moon - the lord of stars.
jaataruupaparikshiptam chitrabhaanusamaprabham |
ashokamaalaavitatam dadarsha paramaasanam || 5-10-4
4. dadarsha = (Hanuma) saw; paramaasanam = an excellent couch; jaataruupapariikshiptam = made of gold; chitrabhaanusamaprabham = with radiance equaling that of fire; asokamaalaavitatam = spread by garlands of Ashoka flowers.
Hanuma saw an excellent couch made of gold with radiance equaling that of fire, spread by garlands of Ashoka flowers.
vaala vyajana hastaabhir viijyamaanam samantataH |
gandhaiH ca vividhair juShTam vara dhuupena dhuupitam || 5-10-5
5. viijyamaanam = fanned; vaalavyajanahastaabhiH = by women with fans in their hands; samantataH = in all the four directions; jushhTam = obtained; vividhaiH gandhaiH = by various fragrances; dhuupitam = fumigated; paradhuupena = by the best incense.
Fanned by women with fans in their hands in all the four directions and obtained by various fragrances fumigated by the best incense.
parama aastaraNa aastiirNam aavika ajina samvrtam |
daamabhir vara maalyaanaam samantaad upashobhitam || 5-10-6
6. paramaastharaNaastiirNam = covered by an excellent bed; aavikaajinasamvR^itam = spread by sheep skin; samantaat = everywhere; upashobhitam = shone; damabhiH = by rows; varamaalyaanaam = of excellent garlands.
Covered by an excellent bed, spread by sheep skin everywhere and shone by rows of excellent garlands.
tasmin jiimuuta samkaasham pradiipta uttama kuNDalam |
lohita akSham mahaa baahum mahaa rajata vaasasam || 5-10-7
7. (Hanuma saw Ravana) tasmin = in that; jiimuutasamkaasham = equaling a cloud; pradiiptottamakuNDalam = wearing earrings with a brilliant shine; lohitaaksham = with read eyes; mahaabaahum = with long arms; mahaarajatavaasasam = wearing gold clothes.
Hanuma saw Ravana in that house, equaling a cloud, wearing earrings with a brilliant shine with red eyes and with long arms wearing gold clothes.
lohitena anulipta angam candanena sugandhinaa |
sa.ndhyaa raktam iva aakaashe toyadam sataDid guNam || 5-10-8
8. anuliptaaN^gam = with body smeared; lohitenachandanena = with red sandal wood; sugandhinaa = with good fragrance; sandhyaaraktam aakaashe toyadam iva = like a cloud in the red sky at sunset; sataTidgaNam = together with groups of lightening.
With his body smeared with red sandal-wood with good fragrance like a cloud in the red sky at sunset, together with groups of lightening.
vR^itam aabharaNair divyaiH suruupam kaama ruupiNam |
savrkSha vana gulma aaDhyam prasuptam iva mandaram || 5-10-9
9. vR^itam = filled; divyaiH aabharaNaiH = with excellent jewellery; surrupam = with a good appearance; kaamaruupiNam = with ability to assume desired form; mandaram iva = resembling mount Mandara; prasuptam = in sleep; savR^ikshavanagulmaaDhyam = together with groups of trees and bushes.
Ravana was filled with excellent jewellery, with a good appearance, with an ability to assume desired form, resembling mount Mandara in sleep, together with groups of trees and bushes.
kriiDitvaa uparatam raatrau vara aabharaNa bhuuShitam |
priyam raakShasa kanyaanaam raakShasaanaam sukha aavaham || 5-10-10
10. uparatam = resting; kriiDitvaa = after having pleasure; raatrau = at night; varaabharaNabhuushhitam = bedecked with the best ornaments; priyam = lover; raakshasakanyaanaam = to the Rakshasa girls; sukhaavaham = causing comfort; raakasaanaam = to rakshasas.
Resting after having pleasure at night, bedecked with the best ornaments, he was a lover to the rakshasa girls and causing comfort to rakshasas.
piitvaa api uparatam ca api dadarsha sa mahaa kapiH |
bhaaskare shayane viiram prasuptam raakShasa adhipam || 5-10-11
11. sa mahaakapiH = that great Hanuma; dadarsha = saw; viiram = the gallant; raakshasaadhipam = king of rakshasas; prasuptam = in the sleep; uparatam = resting; piitvaa = after drinking; bhaasvare shayane = on a shining couch.
That great Hanuma saw the gallant king of rakshasas in sleep on a shining couch resting after drinking.
nihshvasantam yathaa naagam raavaNam vaanara uttamaH |
aasaadya parama udvignaH so apaasarpat subhiitavat || 5-10-12
12. saH vaanararshhabhaH = that Hanuma; best among Vanaras; aasaadya = neared; raavaNam = Ravana; paromdvignaH = became very gloomy; apaasarpat = (and) moved away; subhiitavat = with great dread; niHshvasantam naagam yathaa = as though from a hissing serpent.
That Hanuma, best among Vanaras neared Ravana, became very gloomy and moved away with great dread, as though from a hissing serpent.
atha aarohaNam aasaadya vedikaa antaram aashritaH |
suptam raakShasa shaarduulam prekShate sma mahaa kapiH || 5-10-13
13. atha = thereafter; mahaakapiH = the great Hanuma = aasaadya = neared; aarohaNam = staircase; aashritaH = sought; vedikaantaram = another dais; prekshate sma = (and) observed closely; raakshasa shaarduulam = Ravana.
Thereafter the great Hanuma neared staircase, sought another dais and observed closely Ravana.
shushubhe raakShasa indrasya svapataH shayana uttamam |
gandha hastini samviShTe yathaa prasravaNam mahat || 5-10-14
14. shayanottamam = the excellent couch; svapataH raakshasendrasya = of the sleeping Ravana; shushubhe = shone; mahat prasravaNam yathaa = like a great lake; gandhahastini samvishhThe = when a scented elephant resides (in it).
The excellent couch of the sleeping Ravana shone like a great lake when a scented elephant resides in it.
kaancana angada naddhau ca dadarsha sa mahaatmanaH |
vikShiptau raakShasa indrasya bhujaav indra dhvaja upamau || 5-10-15
15. saH = that Hanuma; dadarsha cha = also saw; mahaatmana = the wealthy; raakshasendrasya = Ravana's; bhujaaH = arms; kaaJNchnaaN^gadanaddhau = tied with golden armlets; vikshiptau = thrown apart; indradhvajoptamau = resembling flag staffs(raised in honor ) of Indra.
That Hanuma also saw the wealthy Ravana's arms tied with golden armlets thrown apart, resembling flag staffs raised in honor of Indra.
airaavata viShaaNa agrair aapiiDita krta vraNau |
vajra ullikhita piina a.nsau viShNu cakra parikShitau || 5-10-16
16. aapiiDanakR^itavraNau = (those arms had) wounds made by stabbing; airaavatavishhaaNaagraiH = from the pointed edges of tusks of Iraavata; vajrollikhitapiinaamsau = fleshy shoulders smeared with diamond; vishhNuchakraparikshatau = hit by Vishnu chakra;
Those arms had wounds made by stabbing from the pointed edges of tusks of Iraavata and fleshy shoulders smeared with diamond and hit by Vishnu chakra.
piinau samasujaata a.nsau samgatau bala samyutau |
sulakShaNa nakha anguShThau svangulii tala lakShitau || 5-10-17
17. piinau = (these arms of Ravana were) corpulent; samasujaataamsau = with well grown and equal shoulders; samgatau = proportionate to body; balasamyutau = with strength; sulakshaNanakhaaN^gushhThau = with knees and thumbs of good characteristic; svaN^guliitalalaskhsitau = with good fingers and palms.
These arms of Ravana were corpulent with well grown and equal strong shoulders proportionate to body, with knees and thumbs of good characteristics, with good fingers and palms.
samhatau parigha aakaarau vrttau kari kara upamau |
vikShiptau shayane shubhre panca shiirShaav iva uragau || 5-10-18
18. samhatau = with strong joints; parighaakaarau = with a shape of club; vR^ittau = round in shape; karikaropamau = resembling the trunks of an elephant; paJNchashiirshhaauvivoragau iva = like five headed snakes; vikshiptau = thrown; subhre shayane = on clean couch.
With strong joints in the shape of club, round in shape resembling the trunks of an elephant, like five headed snakes thrown on clean couch.
shasha kShataja kalpena sushiitena sugandhinaa |
candanena para ardhyena svanuliptau svalamkrtau || 5-10-19
uttama strii vimrditau gandha uttama niShevitau |
yakSha pannaga gandharva deva daanava raaviNau || 5-10-20
19;20. bhujau = shoulders; su anuliptau = well smeared; paraarthyena chandanena = by best sandal; sugandhina = with good smell; sushiitena = and very cool; shashakshatajakalpena = resembling a hare's blood; svalankN^kR^itau = well decorated; uttamastriivimR^iditau = massaged by the best women; gandhottamanishhevitau = served by the best sandal; yakshapannaga gandharva deva daanava raaviNau = (which made) yakshas; nagas; gandharvas; devas and daanavaas scream.
Shoulders well smeared by best sandal with good smell and very cool resembling in color to a hare's blood, well decorated, massaged by the best women, served by the best sandal and which made yakshas, nagas, gandharvas, devas and daanavaas scream.
dadarsha sa kapiH tasya baahuu shayana sa.nsthitau |
mandarasya antare suptau mahaa arhii ruShitaav iva || 5-10-21
21. saH kapiH = That Hanuma; dadarsha = saw; tatra = there; baahu = arms; shanasamsthitau = on the couch; mahaahii iva = like great serpents; rushhitau = in anger; suptau = sleeping; mandarasya antare = in the middle of mount Mandara.
That Hanuma saw there arms on the couch like great serpents in anger sleeping in the middle of mount Mandara.
taabhyaam sa paripuurNaabhyaam bhujaabhyaam raakShasa adhipaH |
shushubhe acala samkaashaH shrngaabhyaam iva mandaraH || 5-10-22
22. saH = That; raakshaseshvaraH = king of Rakshasas(Ravana); achalasamkaashaH = equaling a mountain; taabhyaam bhujaabhyaam = with those two shoulders; paripuurNaabhyaam = which were well built; shushubhe = and shone; mandaraH iva = like Mount Mandara; shR^iN^gaabhyaam = with twin peaks
That king of Rakshasas equaling a mountain with those shoulders, which were well built and shone like Mount Mandara with twin peaks.
cuuta pumnaaga surabhir bakula uttama samyutaH |
mR^iShTa anna rasa samyuktaH paana gandha puraH saraH || 5-10-23
tasya raakShasa simhasya nishcakraama mukhaan mahaan |
shayaanasya vinihshvaasaH puurayann iva tad grham || 5-10-24
23;24. maahaamukhaat = from the great face; raakshasasimhasya = of that king of Rakshasas; shayanasya = who was sleeping; nishchakraama = came out; vinisvaasaH = breath; chuutapunnaaga surabhiH = fragrant like the flowers of chuuta and punnaaga; vakuLottamasamyutaH = consisting of the best fragrance of Vakula flowers; mR^ishhTaannarasasamyuktaH = together with the flavor of best cooked rice; paanagandhapuraskR^itaH = with the smell of liquor; puurayanniva = as though filling; tat gR^iham = that house.
From the great face of that king of Rakshasas who was sleeping, came out breath with fragrance like that of flowers of chuuta and punnaaga, consisting of the best fragrance of Vakula flowers, together with the flavor of best cooked rice, with the smell of liquor as though filling that house.
muktaa maNi vicitreNa kaancanena viraajataa |
mukuTena apavrttena kuNDala ujjvalita aananam || 5-10-25
rakta candana digdhena tathaa haareNa shobhitaa |
piina aayata vishaalena vakShasaa abhiviraajitam || 5-10-26
paaNDureNa apaviddhena kShaumeNa kShataja iikShaNam |
mahaa arheNa susamviitam piitena uttama vaasasaa || 5-10-27
maaSha raashi pratiikaasham nihshvasantam bhujangavat |
gaange mahati toya ante prasutamiva kunjaram || 5-10-28
caturbhiH kaancanair diipair diipyamaanaiH catur disham |
prakaashii krta sarva angam megham vidyud gaNair iva || 5-10-29
paada muula gataaH ca api dadarsha sumahaatmanaH |
patniiH sa priya bhaaryasya tasya rakShaH pater grhe || 5-10-30
25;26;27;28;29;30. saH = that Hanuma; dadarsha = saw; tasya rakshaH pateH gR^ihe = in the house of that king of Rakshasa's; patniishcha = wives; paadamuulagataaH = at the feet; sumahaatmanaH = a gigantic one; priyabhaaryasya = with loving wives; viraajitam = shone; apavR^ittena makuTena = with crown tilted to the side; muktaamaNivichitreNa = having strange hue with pearls and diamonds; kaaJNchanaan = and of golden colour; kuNDalojjvalitaananam = with a face made brilliant made by earrings; abhiviraajitam = shone; vakshasaa = with the chest region; raktachandanadigdhena = smeared with red sandal; shobhinaahaareNa = shining with a necklace; piinaayatavishaalena = wide high and corpulent; kshaumeNa = with a silk cloth; paaNDareNa = of white colour; apaviddhena = falling on him; kshatajekshanam = with eyes reddish like blood; susamviitam = well tied; uttamavasasaa = by a best cloth; piitena = of yellow colour; mahaarheNa = and of very best quality; maashharaashipratiikaasham = resembling a heap of black beans; nishshvasantam = snoring; bhujaN^gavat = like a hiss of a snake; kuJNjaram iva = like an elephant; prasuptam = sleeping; toyaante = in the middle of water; mahati gaaN^ge = belonging to the great river Ganga; diipyamaanachaturdisham = with all the four directions shone; chaturbhiH diipaiH = by the four lamps; kaaJNchanaiH = of golden colour; megham iva = resembling a cloud; praakaasiikR^ita sarvaaN^gam = with all the parts being shone; vidhyugaNaiH = by groups of lighting.
That Hanuma saw in the house of that king of Rakshasa's, wives at the feet, Ravana being a gigantic one with loving wives, shone with crown tilted to the side, having strange hue with pearls and diamonds and of golden colour, with a face made brilliant by earrings, shone with the chest region smeared with red sandal, shining with a necklace wide, high and corpulent with a silk cloth of white colour falling on him, with eyes reddish like blood, well tied by a best cloth of yellow colour and of very best quality, resembling a heap of black beans, snoring like a hiss of a snake, like an elephant sleeping in the middle of water belonging to the great river Ganga with all the four directions shone by the four lamps of golden colour, resembling a cloud with all the parts being shone by groups of lighting.
shashi prakaasha vadanaa vara kuNDala bhuuShitaaH |
ambaala maalya aabharaNaa dadarsha hari yuuthapaH || 5-10-31
31. hariyuudhapaH = the leader of Vanaras; dadarsha = saw; shashiprakaashavadanaaH = (those wives of Ravana) with faces with radiance of moon; chaarukuNDalabhuushhitaaH = adorned with beautiful earrings; amlaanamaalyabharaNaaH = wearing jewellery and flower garlands which were not worn out.
The leader of Vanaras saw those wives of Ravana with faces with radiance of moon, adorned with beautiful earrings, wearing jewellery and flower garlands which were not worn out.
nR^itta vaaditra kushalaa raakShasa indra bhuja ankagaaH |
vara aabharaNa dhaariNyo niShannaa dadrshe kapiH || 5-10-32
32. hariH = Hanuma; dadR^ishe = saw; nR^ittavaaditrakushalaaH = (wives of Ravana) with skill in dance and musical instruments; raakshasendrabhujaaN^kagaaH = obtained the shoulders of Ravana; varaabharaNadhaariNyoH = wearing the best jewellery; nishhaNNaaH = being in sleep.
Hanuma saw wives of Ravana with skill in dance and musical instruments, who obtained the shoulders of Ravana wearing the best jewellery and being in sleep.
vajra vaiduurya garbhaaNi shravaNa anteShu yoShitaam |
dadarsha taapaniiyaani kuNDalaani angadaani ca || 5-10-33
33. dadarsha = (he) saw; kuNDalaani = earrings; yoshhitaam = of those women; shravaNaanteshhu = at the end of ears; vjravaiDuuryagarbhaaNi = with embedded diamonds and cats eye gems; taapaniiyaani = and having golden colour.
He saw earrings of those women at the end of ears with embedded diamonds and cats eye gems and having golden colour.
taasaam candra upamair vaktraiH shubhair lalita kuNDalaiH |
viraraaja vimaanam tan nabhaH taaraa gaNair iva || 5-10-34
34. vaktraiH = with the faces; taasaam = of those women; lalitakuNDalaiH = with delicate earrings; chandropamaiH = which were equal to moon; shubhaiH = (and)auspicious; tat vimaanam = that house; viraraaja = shone; nabhaH iva = like the sky; taaraagaNaiH = with clusters of stars.
With the faces of those women with delicate earrings which were equal to moon and auspicious that house shone like the sky with clusters of stars.
mada vyaayaama khinnaaH taaH raakShasa indrasya yoShitaH |
teShu teShv avakaasheShu prasuptaaH tanu madhyamaaH || 5-10-35
35. yoshhitaH = women; taaH raakshasendrasya = of that Ravana; madavyaayaamakinnaaH = being tired from lustful passion and exertion; tanumadhyamaaH = and having lean waists; prasuptaaH = slept; teshhu teshhu avakaasheshhu = at opportunity.
Women of that Ravana being tired from lustful passion and exertion and having lean waists slept at first opportunity.
aN^gahaaraistathaivaanyaa kovalairnR^ittashaalinii |
vinyastashubhasarvaaN^gii prasuptaa varavarNinii || 5-10-36
36. anyaa = another; nR^ittashaalinii varavarNinii = woman with skill in dancing; komalaiH aN^gahaaraiH = consisting of delicate body postures; prasuptaa = slept; tathaiva = in the same way; vinyastashubhasarvaaN^gi = with all her body parts making the same dance postures.
Another woman with skill in dancing consisting of delicate body postures slept in the same way with all her body parts making the same dance postures.
kaacid viiNaam pariShvajya prasuptaa samprakaashate |
mahaa nadii prakiirNaa iva nalinii potam aashritaa || 5-10-37
37. kaachit = one women; parishhvajya = hugging; veeNaam = veena; prasuptaa = and sleeping; samprakaashate = was shining; naliniiva = like a lotus plant; mahaanadiiprakiirNa = thrown away by( the flow of) a great river; aashritaa = and resorting; potam = a boat.
One woman hugging veena and sleeping was shining like a lotus plant thrown away by the flow of a great river and resorting a boat.
anyaa kakSha gatena eva maDDukena asita iikShaNaa |
prasuptaa bhaaminii bhaati baala putraa iva vatsalaa || 5-10-38
38. anyaa = another woman; asitekshaNaa = with black eyes; prasuptaa = sleeping; maDukena = with an instrument called madduka; kakshagatenaiva = under arm pit; bhaati = shone; bhaaminiiva = like a woman; vatshalaa baalaputraa = (carrying) an infant boy with love.
Another woman with black eyes sleeping with an instrument called madduka under arm pit shone like a woman carrying an infant boy with love.
paTaham caaru sarva angii piiDya shete shubha stanii |
cirasya ramaNam labdhvaa pariShvajya iva kaaminii || 5-10-39
39. bhaamini = a women; chaarusarvaaN^gii = with beautiful body features; subhastanii = with beautiful breasts; shete = slept; piiDya = tightly hugged; paTaham = instrument called pataha; parishhvajyeva = as though hugging; ramaNam = a lover; labdhvaa = getting him; chirasya = after a long time.
A woman with beautiful body features and with beautiful breasts slept tightly and hugged instrument called pataha as though hugging a lover, getting him after a long time.
kaacid a.nsham pariShvajya suptaa kamala locanaa |
rahaH priyatamam gR^ihya sakaameva cha kaaminii || 5-10-40
40. kaachit = another woman; kamalalochanaa = with lotus like eyes; parishhvajya = hugging; vasam = a flute; suptaa = slept; sakaamaa kaaminiiva = like a woman with lust; gR^ihya = holding; priyatamam = (her) lover; rahaH = in secret.
Another woman with lotus like eyes hugging a flute slept like a woman with lust holding her lover in secret.
vipaJNchaiim parigR^ihyaanyaa niyataa nR^ittashaalinii |
nidraa vasham anupraaptaa saha kaantaa iva bhaaminii || 5-10-41
41. anyaa = another woman; nR^ittashaalinii = skilled in dance; anupraaptaa = obtained; nidraavasham = sleep; parigR^ihyaa = getting vipanJNchiim = an instrument like veena; niyataa = (and being) in tune with it; bhaaminii = like a woman; saha kaanta = together with her lover.
Another woman skilled in dance obtained sleep getting an instrument like veena and being in tune with it like a woman together with her lover.
anyaa kanaka samkaashair mrdu piinair mano ramaiH |
mR^idangam paripiiDya angaiH prasuptaa matta locanaa || 5-10-42
42. anyaa = another woman; mattalochana = with lusty eyes; prasuptaa = slept; paripiiDyaa = hugging; mR^idaN^ga = a percussion instrument called mridanga; anN^gaiH = with her body parts; manoharaiH = which were pleasant; kanakasamkaashaiH = which resembled gold; mR^idupiinaiH = and which were smooth and fleshy.
Another woman with lusty eyes slept hugging a percussion instrument called mridanga with her body parts which were pleasant which resembled gold and which were smooth and fleshy.
bhuja paarshva antarasthena kakShagena krsha udarii |
paNavena saha anindyaa suptaa mada krta shramaa || 5-10-43
43. kR^ishodarii = another woman with thin stomach; anindyaa = who was not to be blamed; suptaa = slept; madakR^itasramaa = due to tiresomeness from lust; padameshaH = together with an instrument called Padama; bhujapaashaantarasthena = between her shoulders; kakshagena = and reaching arm pits.
Another woman with thin stomach, who was not to be blamed, slept due to tiresomeness from lust together with an instrument called Padama between her shoulders and reaching arm pits.
DiNDimam parigrhya anyaa tathaiva aasakta DiNDimaa |
prasuptaa taruNam vatsam upaguuhya iva bhaaminii || 5-10-44
44. anyaa = another woman; aasaktaDiNDimaa = with an instrument called Dindima near her; parigR^ihya = got; DinDimam = that Dindima; prasuptaa = slept; tathaiva = and in the same way; bhaaminii iva = as a woman; taruNamupaguhya = hugging her husband; vastham = and also her child;
Another woman with an instrument called Dindima near her slept in the same way as a woman hugging her husband and also her child.
kaacid aaDambaram naarii bhuja sambhoga piiDitam |
kR^itvaa kamala patra akShii prasuptaa mada mohitaa || 5-10-45
45. kaachitnaarii = another woman; kamalapatraakshi = with eyes like lotus petals; prasuptaa = slept; kR^itvaa = making; aaDambaram = the instrument called aadambara; bhujasamyogapiiDitam = pressing it by her shoulders; madamoohitaa = being desired by lust;
Another woman with eyes like lotus petals slept making the instrument called adambara pressing it by her shoulders being desired by lust.
kalashiim apaviddhya anyaa prasuptaa bhaati bhaaminii |
vasante puShpa shabalaa maalaa iva parimaarjitaa || 5-10-46
46. anyaa bhaaminii = another women; prasuptaa = sleeping; apavidhya = felling down; kalasiim = a small pot; bhaati = shone; maaleva = like a flower garland; pushhpashabalaa = with the flowers of strange hue; vasante parimaarjitaa = made auspicious in spring.
Another woman sleeping, felling down a small pot, shone like a flower garland with the flowers of strange hue made auspicious in spring.
paaNibhyaam ca kucau kaacit suvarNa kalasha upamau |
upaguuhya abalaa suptaa nidraa bala paraajitaa || 5-10-47
47. kaachit ablaa = another woman; suptaa = slept; upaguhyaa = hugging; kuchau = her breasts; suvarNkalashopamau = resembling golden pots; paaNibhyaam = by her hands; nidraabalaparaajitaa = overcome with sleep.
Another woman slept hugging her breasts resembling golden pots by her hands, overcome with sleep.
anyaa kamala patra akShii puurNa indu sadrsha aananaa |
anyaam aalingya sushroNii prasuptaa mada vihvalaa || 5-10-48
48. anyaa = another woman; kamalapatraakshi = with eyes like lotus petals; puurNedu sadR^ishaanana = with her face resembling full moon; madavihvalaa = overcome with lust; prasuptaa = slept; aaliN^gyaa = hugging; anyaam = another woman; shushroNiim = with a beautiful hip region.
Another woman with eyes like lotus petals, with her face resembling full moon, overcome with lust slept hugging another woman with a beautiful hip region.
aatodyaani vicitraaNi pariShvajya vara striyaH |
nipiiDya ca kucaiH suptaaH kaaminyaH kaamukaan iva || 5-10-49
49. varastriyaH = some excellent woman; suptaaH = slept; parishvajya = hugging; vichitraaNi aatodhyaani = strange instruments; kuchaih nipiiDhya = and pressing them with breasts; kaaminyaH kaamukaaniva = as though lustful woman with lusty men;
Some excellent women slept hugging strange instruments and pressing them with breasts as though lustful woman with lusty men.
taasaam eka anta vinyaste shayaanaam shayane shubhe |
dadarsha ruupa sampannaam aparaam sa kapiH striyam || 5-10-50
50. saH kapiH = that Hanuma; dadarsha = saw; taasaam = among those women; ruupasampannaam striyam = a very beautiful woman; syaanaam = sleeping; shubhe shayane = on an auspicious couch; ekaanta vinyaste = arranged alone at a side.
That Hanuma saw among those women a very beautiful woman sleeping on an auspicious couch arranged alone at a side.
muktaa maNi samaayuktair bhuuShaNaiH suvibhuuShitaam |
vibhuuShayantiim iva ca sva shriyaa bhavana uttamam || 5-10-51
gauriim kanaka varNa aabhaam iShTaam antaH pura iishvariim |
kapir manda udariim tatra shayaanaam caaru ruupiNiim || 5-10-52
51;52. kapiH = Hanuma; mandodariim = (saw) Mandodari; charuruupiNiim = with a beautiful form; muktaamaNisamaamuktaiH = together with diamonds and pearls; suvibhuushhitaam well decorated; bhuushhaNaiH = by jewellery; svashriya = and with her self radiance; vibhuushhayantiimiva = as though decorating bhavanottamam = that great building; gauriim = with a fair complexion; kanakavarNaabhaam = and with a radiance like golden colour; ishhTaam = who was dear to her husband; antaHpureshvariim = the lady of the women in that gynaeceum; shayaanaam = sleeping; tatra = there.
Hanuma saw Mandodari with a beautiful form together with diamonds and pearls, well decorated by jewellery and with her self radiance as though decorating that great building with a fair complexion and with a radiance like golden colour, who was dear to her husband the lady of women in that gynaeceum sleeping there.
sa taam dR^iShTvaa mahaa baahur bhuuShitaam maaruta aatmajaH |
tarkayaam aasa siitaa iti ruupa yauvana sampadaa || 5-10-53
harSheNa mahataa yukto nananda hari yuuthapaH |
53. saH maarutaatmajaH = that Hanuma; mahaabaahuH = with great arms; taamdR^ishhTvaa = seeing that woman; bhuushhitaam = well decorated; tarkayaamaasa = in logic though; siiteti = this is Seetha; ruupayauvana sampadaa = by the wealth of her appearance and her youth; hariyudhapaH = that warrior of vanaras; nananda = was delighted; mahataa harshhenayuktaH = together with great pleasure.
That Hanuma with great arms seeing the woman well decorated, out of logic thought thus: "This is Seetha by the wealth of her appearance and her youth". That warrior of Vanaras was delighted together with great pleasure.
aashpoTayaam aasa cucumba puccham |
nananda cikriiDa jagau jagaama|
stambhaan arohan nipapaata bhuumau |
nidarshayan svaam prakrtim kapiinaam || 5-10-54
54. aasphoTayaamaasa = clasped his arms; chuchumbha puchchham = kissed his tail; nananda = he was delighted; chikriiDa = he was playful; jagau = sang; jagaama = paced; nidarshayan = showing; svaam = his; kappiinaam prakR^itim = simian nature; aarohat = climbed; stambaat = pillars; nipapaata bhuumau = and fell down on land.
He clasped his arms, kissed his tail he was delighted, he was playful, sang, paced showing his simian nature, climbed pillars and fell down on land.
- - -
iti vaalmiiki raamayane aadi kaavye sundara kaaNDe dashamaH sargaH
|Top of Page||1||2||3||4|
© 2002 oct, Durga and Kishore Kopalle
What the world says about
verse and locator
Fastest FTPS anywhere, FREE Go FTP Client