Sugreeva reports the incident that sparked off the indignation and ire of Vali towards Sugreeva. Sugreeva describes to Rama about the strength and heartless nature of Vali, with a kind of indirect portrayal of his enemy's capabilities.
वाली नाम मम भ्राता ज्येष्ठः शत्रु निषूदनः |
पितुः बहुमतः नित्यम् मम च अपि तथा पुरा || ४-९-१
1. shatru niSuudanaH = oh, enemy, destroyer - Rama; vaalii naama mama jyeSThaH bhraataa = Vali, named, my elder brother; pituH = to our father, bahumataH = very dear; nityam = always; puraa = earlier; mama ca api = for me, to, even; tathaa = like that.
"Oh, great enemy destroyer Rama, my elder brother Vali is a very dear one to our father, and even for me too he was so, earlier. [4-9-1]
पितरि उपरते तस्मिन् ज्येष्ठो अयम् इति मंत्रिभिः |
कपीनाम् ईश्वरो राज्ये कृतः परम सम्मतः || ४-९-२
2. tasmin pitari uparate = that, father, on demise of; ayam jyeSThaH iti = he is, elder one, thus deciding; raajye parama sammataH = in kingdom, immense, on glorification; mantribhiH kR^itaH = ministers, he is made as kapiinaam iishvaraH = for monkeys, king.
After the demise of our father all the ministers have glorified him immensely and made him the king of all the monkeys as he is the elder. [4-9-2]
राज्यम् प्रशासतः तस्य पितृ पैतामहम् महत् |
अहम् सर्वेषु कालेषु प्रणतः प्रेष्यवत् स्थितः || ४-९-३
3. aham = I am; mahat pitR^u paitaamaham = great, father's, forefather's; raajyam = kingdom; prashaasataH = while ruling; tasya = to him; sarveSu = in all; kaaleSu = times; praNataH = bowed down; preSyavat = like a servant; sthitaH = stood by.
While he was ruling the great kingdom of my father and forefathers, I have always bowed down to him like a servant and stood by him. [4-9-3]
मायावी नाम तेजस्वी पूर्वजो दुन्दुभेः सुतः |
तेन तस्य महद् वैरम् वालिनः स्त्री कृतम् पुरा || ४-९-४
4. dundubheH puurvajaH = Dundubhi's, elder brother; [mayaH] sutaH = Maya's, son; maayaavii naama tejasvii [aasiit] = Maayaavi, named, fierce one [was there]; puraa tasya vaalinaH = previously, with him, that Vali; tena = to him [to Dundubhi]; strii kR^itam = female, due to; mahat vairam = great enmity; [aasiit = was there.]
There was a fierce demon named Maayaavi, the elder brother of Dundubhi and the son of one demon named Maya. There was a great enmity between this Maayaavi and Vali owing to some female. [4-9-4]
स तु सुप्ते जने रात्रौ किष्किन्धा द्वारम् आगतः |
नर्दति स्म सुसम्रब्धो वालिनम् च आह्वयत् रणे || ४-९-५
5. raatrau = in night; supte jane = while sleeping, people are; saH tu = he, but that Maayaavi; kishkindhaa dvaaram aagataH = Kishkindha's, at the doors of, arrived; su samrabdhaH = very, blaring; nardati sma = shouting, he was; vaalinam ca rane aahvayat = Vali is, invited, for a fight.
He that Maayaavi arrived at the doors of Kishkindha in a night when the people are sleeping, and blared very much inviting Vali for a fight. [4-9-5]
प्रसुप्तः तु मम भ्राता नर्दितो भैरव स्वनम् |
श्रुत्वा न ममृषे वाली निष्पपात जवात् तदा || ४-९-६
6. tadaa = then; pra suptaH tu = well, sleeping, but; mama bhraataa = my brother; Vali; narditaH bhairava svanam shrutvaa = bellowing, in a clamouring voice, on hearing; na mamR^ishe = not tolerated; javaat = speedily; niSpapaata = fell out [ palace chambers,] came out.
Then my brother who was also sleeping well, on hearing that bellowing in a clamouring voice, did not tolerate and came out speedily. [4-9-6]
स तु वै निःसृतः क्रोधात् तम् हन्तुम् असुरोत्तमम् |
वार्यमाणः ततः स्त्रीभिः मया च प्रणत आत्मना || ४-९-७
7. tataH = then; saH tu = he [Vali,] but; striibhiH = by women; praNata aatmanaa = bowing, themselves [while rquesting]; mayaa ca = by me, also; vaaryamaaNaH = though prevented; tam asurottamam = him, demon, the best; hantum = to kill; krodhaat = in anger; nihsR^itaH vai = came out, really.
Though the females and myself bowed reverently to prevent Vali, he came out of palace in all his anger to kill that great demon. [4-9-7]
स तु निर्धूय सर्वान् नो निर्जगाम महाबलः |
ततः अहम् अपि सौहार्दान् निःसृतः वालिना सह || ४-९-८
8. saH tu = he, but; mahaabalaH = greatly strengthened one; sarvaan naH = all of us; nirdhuuya = on spurning away; nirjagaama = forged ahead; tataH = then; aham api = I also; sauhaardaat = by predisposition; nihsR^itaH = started; vaalinaa saha = Vali, along with.
But Vali spurned all of us away and forged ahead, and then I also have started to go along with Vali in all my predisposition. [4-9-8]
स तु मे भ्रातरम् दृष्ट्वा माम् च दूरात् अवस्थितम् |
असुरो जात संत्रासः प्रदुद्राव तदा भृशम् || ४-९-९
9. saH tu = he, also; asuraH = the demon; me bhraataram = my, brother; dR^iSTvaa = on seeing; maam ca = me, also; duuraat avasthitam = from a distance, coming on; tadaa = then; jaata sam traasaH = induced, with, fear; pra dudraava = well, ran away; bhR^isham = quickly.
A great fear was induced in that demon on seeing my brother and me too coming from a distance, and then he quickly ran away. [4-9-9]
तस्मिन् द्रवति संत्रस्ते हि आवाम् द्रुततरम् गतौ |
प्रकाशः अपि कृतः मार्गः चन्द्रेण उद्गच्छता तदा || ४-९-१०
10. sam traste = with, fear; tasmin = he; dravati = while running away; aavaam = we two; druta taram = very quickly; gatau = followed; tadaa = then; udgacChataa candreNa maargaH api prakaashaH kR^itaH = just arising, by moon, the way, even, to brightness, it is made [way is lit by moonlight alone.]
While he is running away in fear we quickly followed him on a path that is barely lit by moonlight of the moon who is just coming up. [4-9-10]
स तृणैः आवृतम् दुर्गम् धरण्या विवरम् महत् |
प्रविवेश असुरः वेगात् आवाम् आसाद्य विष्ठितौ || ४-९-११
11. saH asuraH = he, that demon; dharaNyaa = in ground; dur gam = an un-enterable one; tR^iNaiH = with grass; aavR^itam = covered; mahat vivaram = a great, cleavage, cavity; vegaat = speedily; pravivesha = entered; aavaam = we; vegaat = speedily; aasaadya = reached at [that cleavage] viSThitau = stood there [for a while.]
That demon speedily entered an un-enterable cavity under the ground, covered with grass, and we too having reached there speedily stood at the aperture of that cavity for a while. [4-9-11]
तम् प्रविष्टम् रिपुम् दृष्ट्वा बिलम् रोष वशम् गतः |
माम् उवाच ततो वाली वचनम् क्षुभित इन्द्रियः || ४-९-१२
12. tataH = then; bilam praviSTam tam ripum dR^iSTvaa = in the hole, entered, him, that enemy, on observing; Vali; roSa vasham gataH = fury's, enfold, gone into; kSubhita indriyaH = one with outraged, senses; maam vacanam uvaaca = to me, this sentence, said.
Then Vali has gone into the enfoldment of fury on observing the entry of that demon into the hole, whereby his senses felt outraged, and he said this sentence to me. [4-9-12]
इह तिष्ठ अद्य सुग्रीव बिल द्वारि समाहितः |
यावत् अत्र प्रविश्य अहम् निहन्मि समरे रिपुम् || ४-९-१३
13. Sugreeva; aham atra pravishya = I, into this, on entering; samare ripum yaavat nihanmi = in fight, enemy, till, I destroy [and come back]; samaahita = on the alert; adya = now; iha = here; bila dvaari = at hole's, entrance; tiSTha = you stay.
Then Vali said to me, "Now you stay here on the alert, Sugreeva, at the entrance of this hole till I return on destroying the enemy in a fight on my entering this hole..." [4-9-13]
मया तु एतत् वचः श्रुत्वा याचितः स परंतपः |
शापयित्वा च माम् पद्भ्याम् प्रविवेश बिलम् ततः || ४-९-१४
14. etat vacaH shrutvaa = those, words, on hearing; mayaa tu param tapaH yaacitaH = by me, but, great tormentor [of enemies,] is requested [for my entering the hole]; saH = he that Vali; maam padbhyaam shaapayitvaa = me, on his feet, made me to swear; tataH bilam pravivesha = then, the hole, he entered.
On hearing those words I requested him to allow me too to come in to the hole, but he being the great tormentor of his enemies disallowed it, and he made me to swear on his feet and entered that hole. [4-9-15]
तस्य प्रविष्टस्य बिलम् साग्रः संवत्सरः गतः |
स्थितस्य च बिल द्वारि सः कालः व्यत्यवर्तत || ४-९-१५
15. bilam praviSTasya tasya = cleavage, entered, to him; sa agraH = well, over; samvatsaraH = a year; gataH = is over; mama = me too; dvaari = at the entrance; sthitasya ca = stayed, also; saH = that; kaalaH = time; vyatyavartata = passed away.
Well over a year is over after his entering into that cleavage, and to me too who stayed at the entrance of the cleavage that much time had passed away. [4-9-15]
अहम् तु नष्टम् तम् ज्ञात्वा स्नेहात् आगत संभ्रमः |
भ्रातरम् न प्रपश्यामि पाप शङ्कि च मे मनः || ४-९-१६
16. aham tu = I, but; naSTam tam = lost, him; j~naatvaa = on knowing [on thinking]; snehaat = in fondness; aagata sambhramaH = came upon, alarm; bhraataram = bother; na cha pashyaami = not, also, able to see; me manaH paapa shanki ca = my, mind, harm, doubting.
I thought I lost him for my brother is unseen, and in all fondness towards him my mind started to doubt about some harm might have befallen on him. [4-9-16]
अथ दीर्घस्य कालस्य बिलात् तस्मात् विनिःसृतम् |
सः फेनम् रुधिरम् दृष्ट्वा ततो अहम् भृशदुःखितः || ४-९-१७
17. atha = afterwards; diirghasya kaalasya = a long time; tasmaat = from that; bilaat = from hole; vi nisR^itam = well, gush out; sa phenam = with, foam; rudhiram = blood; dR^istvaa = on seeing; tataH aham = then, I am; bhR^isha dukhitaH = deeply, saddened.
After a long time blood with foam gushed out that hole, and on seeing it I was deeply saddened. [4-9-17]
नर्दताम् असुराणाम् च ध्वनिः मे श्रोत्रम् आगतः |
न रस्तस्य च संग्रामे क्रोशतो अपि स्वनो गुरोः || ४-९-१८
18. nardataam = screams; asuraaNaam ca = of the demon, also; dhvaniH = sounds; me shrotram aagataH = to my, ear, came; sangraame ratasya = in fight, involved in; kroshataH api = on who is screeching, even; guroH = of my brother; svanaH = sounds; na ca = not, even [heard.]
Sounds of screaming demon came to my ear, but the screeches of my brother who is involved in fight are unheard, in the least. [4-9-18]
अहम् तु अवगतः बुद्ध्या चिह्नैः तैः भ्रातरम् हतम् |
पिधाय च बिल द्वारम् शिलया गिरि मात्रया || ४-९-१९
शोकार्तः च उदकम् कृत्वा किष्किन्धाम् आगतः सखे |
गूहमानस्य मे तत्त्वम् यत्नतः मंत्रिभिः श्रुतम् ||४-९-२०
19. sakhe = oh, friend; aham tu = I, but; taiH cihnaiH = by those, indications; bhraataram hatam buddhyaa avagataH = brother, ended, with a mind, with thinking [infer doubtfully, surmised]; giri maatrayaa shilayaa = mountain, just in measure, with boulder; bila dvaaram pidhaaya ca = cavity's, entrance, on covering, even; shoka artaH ca udakam kR^itvaa = in sadness, pained, also, waters, performed [having oblated]; kiSkindhaam = to Kishkishkindha; aagataH = returned; me = by me; guuhamaanasya = one who is concealing; tattvam yatnataH = actuality, by persuasion; mantribhiH shrutam = by ministers, was heard.
Oh, friend, Rama... I have surmised and concluded in mind by the indications that my brother is finished, and covered the cavity's opening with a mountain similar boulder, and performed water oblations to my deceased brother with saddening pain, and then returned to Kishkindha. But the ministers have persuaded and heard from me the actual happening though I was concealing it. [4-9-19, 20]
ततः अहम् तैः समागम्य समेतैः अभिषेचितः |
राज्यम् प्रशासतः तस्य न्यायतो मम राघव || ४-९-२१
आजगाम रिपुम् हत्वा दानवम् स तु वानरः |
21, 22a. tataH = then; sametaiH taiH samaagamya = all of them [the ministers,] by those ministers, summoned; aham abhishecitaH = I am, crowned; Raghava; tasya mama = such as I am, by me; raajyam nyaayataH pra shaasataH = kingdom, judiciously, while being ruled; saH vaanaraH = he, that semi-human; ripum daanavam hatvaa = enemy, demon, on killing; aajagaama = he returned.
Then duly summoned by all of those ministers I was crowned, and while I was ruling the kingdom judiciously, oh, Raghava, that semi-human Vali returned on killing that demoniac enemy. [4-9-21, 22a]
अभिषिक्तम् तु माम् दृष्ट्वा कोपात् संरक्त लोचनः || ४-९-२२
मदीयान् मंत्रिणः बद्ध्वा परुषम् वाक्यम् अब्रवीत् |
22b, 23a. abhishiktam tu maam dR^iSTvaa = who is crowned, but, me, on seeing; kopaat = in anger; sam rakta locanaH = well, reddened, eyes; madiiyaan = of me; mantriNaH = ministers; baddhvaa = arrested; paruSam vaakyam abraviit = rude, sentences, spoke.
But on seeing me crowned his eyes were reddened in anger, and he arrested all my ministers as he spoke rudely. [4-9-22b, 23a]
निग्रहे च समर्थस्य तम् पापम् प्रति राघव || ४-९-२३
न प्रावर्तत मे बुद्धिः भ्रातृ गौरव यंत्रिता |
23b, 24a. Oh, Raghava; nigrahe api samarthasya = to counter him, even though, I am capable; me buddhiH = my, reason; bhraatR^i gaurava yantritaa = brotherhood, in esteem, controlled by; tam paapam prati = that, sin [of defying brother,] towards; na praavartata = not, disposed to.
And oh, Raghava, though I was capable enough to counter him, my reason was controlled by my esteem to brotherhood, and I was indisposed to commit that sin of defying brotherhood. [4-9-23b, 24a]
हत्वा शत्रुम् सः मे भ्राता प्रविवेश पुरम् तदा || ४-९-२४
मानयन् तम् महात्मानम् यथावत् च अभिअवादयम् |
उक्ताः च न आशिषः तेन संतुष्टेन अन्तरात्मना || ४-९-२५
24b, 25. me bhraataa saH = my, brother, he that Vali; hatvaa shatrum tadaa pravivesha puram = having destroyed, enemy, then, entered, capital tam; maha aatmaanam maanayan = him that audacious soul, while respecting; yathaavat ca abhivaadayam = as usual, also, hailed; tena samtuSTena antaraatmanaa = by him, with satisfied, inner self; aashiSaH na uktaaH ca = blessings, not, said, even.
He that brother of mine entered the capital thus on destroying the enemy, and I hailed him as usual while respecting that audacious soul, but his inner self is unsatisfied and I remained unblest. [4-9-24b, 25]
नत्वा पादौ अहम् तस्य मुकुटेन अस्पृशम् प्रभो |
अपि वाली मम क्रोधात् न प्रसादम् चकार सः || ४-९-२६
26. prabhuH = oh, lord Rama; aham natvaa tasya paadau mukuTena aspR^isham = I, though bowed, at his, feet, with crown, though touched; api = even then; saH vaali krodhaat = he, that Vali, with rancour; mama prasaadam na chakaara = leniency [quarter,] not, done [showed no quarter.]
Oh, lord Rama, though I bowed with the crown touching his feet, he that rancorous Vali showed no quarter towards me." So said Sugreeva to Rama. [4-9-25]
- - -
इति वाल्मीकि रामायणे आदि काव्ये किष्किन्ध काण्डे नवमः सर्गः |
|Top of Page||1||2||3||4|
© 2000, Desiraju Hanumanta Rao [Revised : March, '04