Sugreeva reports the incident that sparked off the indignation and ire of Vali towards Sugreeva. Sugreeva describes to Rama about the strength and heartless nature of Vali, with a kind of indirect portrayal of his enemy's capabilities.
vālī nāma mama bhrātā jyeṣṭhaḥ śatru niṣūdanaḥ |
pituḥ bahumataḥ nityam mama ca api tathā purā || 4-9-1
1. shatru niSuudanaH = oh, enemy, destroyer - Rama; vaalii naama mama jyeSThaH bhraataa = Vali, named, my elder brother; pituH = to our father, bahumataH = very dear; nityam = always; puraa = earlier; mama ca api = for me, to, even; tathaa = like that.
"Oh, great enemy destroyer Rama, my elder brother Vali is a very dear one to our father, and even for me too he was so, earlier. [4-9-1]
pitari uparate tasmin jyeṣṭho ayam iti maṃtribhiḥ |
kapīnām īśvaro rājye kṛtaḥ parama sammataḥ || 4-9-2
2. tasmin pitari uparate = that, father, on demise of; ayam jyeSThaH iti = he is, elder one, thus deciding; raajye parama sammataH = in kingdom, immense, on glorification; mantribhiH kR^itaH = ministers, he is made as kapiinaam iishvaraH = for monkeys, king.
After the demise of our father all the ministers have glorified him immensely and made him the king of all the monkeys as he is the elder. [4-9-2]
rājyam praśāsataḥ tasya pitṛ paitāmaham mahat |
aham sarveṣu kāleṣu praṇataḥ preṣyavat sthitaḥ || 4-9-3
3. aham = I am; mahat pitR^u paitaamaham = great, father's, forefather's; raajyam = kingdom; prashaasataH = while ruling; tasya = to him; sarveSu = in all; kaaleSu = times; praNataH = bowed down; preSyavat = like a servant; sthitaH = stood by.
While he was ruling the great kingdom of my father and forefathers, I have always bowed down to him like a servant and stood by him. [4-9-3]
māyāvī nāma tejasvī pūrvajo dundubheḥ sutaḥ |
tena tasya mahad vairam vālinaḥ strī kṛtam purā || 4-9-4
4. dundubheH puurvajaH = Dundubhi's, elder brother; [mayaH] sutaH = Maya's, son; maayaavii naama tejasvii [aasiit] = Maayaavi, named, fierce one [was there]; puraa tasya vaalinaH = previously, with him, that Vali; tena = to him [to Dundubhi]; strii kR^itam = female, due to; mahat vairam = great enmity; [aasiit = was there.]
There was a fierce demon named Maayaavi, the elder brother of Dundubhi and the son of one demon named Maya. There was a great enmity between this Maayaavi and Vali owing to some female. [4-9-4]
sa tu supte jane rātrau kiṣkindhā dvāram āgataḥ |
nardati sma susamrabdho vālinam ca āhvayat raṇe || 4-9-5
5. raatrau = in night; supte jane = while sleeping, people are; saH tu = he, but that Maayaavi; kishkindhaa dvaaram aagataH = Kishkindha's, at the doors of, arrived; su samrabdhaH = very, blaring; nardati sma = shouting, he was; vaalinam ca rane aahvayat = Vali is, invited, for a fight.
He that Maayaavi arrived at the doors of Kishkindha in a night when the people are sleeping, and blared very much inviting Vali for a fight. [4-9-5]
prasuptaḥ tu mama bhrātā nardito bhairava svanam |
śrutvā na mamṛṣe vālī niṣpapāta javāt tadā || 4-9-6
6. tadaa = then; pra suptaH tu = well, sleeping, but; mama bhraataa = my brother; Vali; narditaH bhairava svanam shrutvaa = bellowing, in a clamouring voice, on hearing; na mamR^ishe = not tolerated; javaat = speedily; niSpapaata = fell out [ palace chambers,] came out.
Then my brother who was also sleeping well, on hearing that bellowing in a clamouring voice, did not tolerate and came out speedily. [4-9-6]
sa tu vai niḥsṛtaḥ krodhāt tam hantum asurottamam |
vāryamāṇaḥ tataḥ strībhiḥ mayā ca praṇata ātmanā || 4-9-7
7. tataH = then; saH tu = he [Vali,] but; striibhiH = by women; praNata aatmanaa = bowing, themselves [while rquesting]; mayaa ca = by me, also; vaaryamaaNaH = though prevented; tam asurottamam = him, demon, the best; hantum = to kill; krodhaat = in anger; nihsR^itaH vai = came out, really.
Though the females and myself bowed reverently to prevent Vali, he came out of palace in all his anger to kill that great demon. [4-9-7]
sa tu nirdhūya sarvān no nirjagāma mahābalaḥ |
tataḥ aham api sauhārdān niḥsṛtaḥ vālinā saha || 4-9-8
8. saH tu = he, but; mahaabalaH = greatly strengthened one; sarvaan naH = all of us; nirdhuuya = on spurning away; nirjagaama = forged ahead; tataH = then; aham api = I also; sauhaardaat = by predisposition; nihsR^itaH = started; vaalinaa saha = Vali, along with.
But Vali spurned all of us away and forged ahead, and then I also have started to go along with Vali in all my predisposition. [4-9-8]
sa tu me bhrātaram dṛṣṭvā mām ca dūrāt avasthitam |
asuro jāta saṃtrāsaḥ pradudrāva tadā bhṛśam || 4-9-9
9. saH tu = he, also; asuraH = the demon; me bhraataram = my, brother; dR^iSTvaa = on seeing; maam ca = me, also; duuraat avasthitam = from a distance, coming on; tadaa = then; jaata sam traasaH = induced, with, fear; pra dudraava = well, ran away; bhR^isham = quickly.
A great fear was induced in that demon on seeing my brother and me too coming from a distance, and then he quickly ran away. [4-9-9]
tasmin dravati saṃtraste hi āvām drutataram gatau |
prakāśaḥ api kṛtaḥ mārgaḥ candreṇa udgacchatā tadā || 4-9-10
10. sam traste = with, fear; tasmin = he; dravati = while running away; aavaam = we two; druta taram = very quickly; gatau = followed; tadaa = then; udgacChataa candreNa maargaH api prakaashaH kR^itaH = just arising, by moon, the way, even, to brightness, it is made [way is lit by moonlight alone.]
While he is running away in fear we quickly followed him on a path that is barely lit by moonlight of the moon who is just coming up. [4-9-10]
sa tṛṇaiḥ āvṛtam durgam dharaṇyā vivaram mahat |
praviveśa asuraḥ vegāt āvām āsādya viṣṭhitau || 4-9-11
11. saH asuraH = he, that demon; dharaNyaa = in ground; dur gam = an un-enterable one; tR^iNaiH = with grass; aavR^itam = covered; mahat vivaram = a great, cleavage, cavity; vegaat = speedily; pravivesha = entered; aavaam = we; vegaat = speedily; aasaadya = reached at [that cleavage] viSThitau = stood there [for a while.]
That demon speedily entered an un-enterable cavity under the ground, covered with grass, and we too having reached there speedily stood at the aperture of that cavity for a while. [4-9-11]
tam praviṣṭam ripum dṛṣṭvā bilam roṣa vaśam gataḥ |
mām uvāca tato vālī vacanam kṣubhita indriyaḥ || 4-9-12
12. tataH = then; bilam praviSTam tam ripum dR^iSTvaa = in the hole, entered, him, that enemy, on observing; Vali; roSa vasham gataH = fury's, enfold, gone into; kSubhita indriyaH = one with outraged, senses; maam vacanam uvaaca = to me, this sentence, said.
Then Vali has gone into the enfoldment of fury on observing the entry of that demon into the hole, whereby his senses felt outraged, and he said this sentence to me. [4-9-12]
iha tiṣṭha adya sugrīva bila dvāri samāhitaḥ |
yāvat atra praviśya aham nihanmi samare ripum || 4-9-13
13. Sugreeva; aham atra pravishya = I, into this, on entering; samare ripum yaavat nihanmi = in fight, enemy, till, I destroy [and come back]; samaahita = on the alert; adya = now; iha = here; bila dvaari = at hole's, entrance; tiSTha = you stay.
Then Vali said to me, "Now you stay here on the alert, Sugreeva, at the entrance of this hole till I return on destroying the enemy in a fight on my entering this hole..." [4-9-13]
mayā tu etat vacaḥ śrutvā yācitaḥ sa paraṃtapaḥ |
śāpayitvā ca mām padbhyām praviveśa bilam tataḥ || 4-9-14
14. etat vacaH shrutvaa = those, words, on hearing; mayaa tu param tapaH yaacitaH = by me, but, great tormentor [of enemies,] is requested [for my entering the hole]; saH = he that Vali; maam padbhyaam shaapayitvaa = me, on his feet, made me to swear; tataH bilam pravivesha = then, the hole, he entered.
On hearing those words I requested him to allow me too to come in to the hole, but he being the great tormentor of his enemies disallowed it, and he made me to swear on his feet and entered that hole. [4-9-15]
tasya praviṣṭasya bilam sāgraḥ saṃvatsaraḥ gataḥ |
sthitasya ca bila dvāri saḥ kālaḥ vyatyavartata || 4-9-15
15. bilam praviSTasya tasya = cleavage, entered, to him; sa agraH = well, over; samvatsaraH = a year; gataH = is over; mama = me too; dvaari = at the entrance; sthitasya ca = stayed, also; saH = that; kaalaH = time; vyatyavartata = passed away.
Well over a year is over after his entering into that cleavage, and to me too who stayed at the entrance of the cleavage that much time had passed away. [4-9-15]
aham tu naṣṭam tam jñātvā snehāt āgata saṃbhramaḥ |
bhrātaram na prapaśyāmi pāpa śaṅki ca me manaḥ || 4-9-16
16. aham tu = I, but; naSTam tam = lost, him; j~naatvaa = on knowing [on thinking]; snehaat = in fondness; aagata sambhramaH = came upon, alarm; bhraataram = bother; na cha pashyaami = not, also, able to see; me manaH paapa shanki ca = my, mind, harm, doubting.
I thought I lost him for my brother is unseen, and in all fondness towards him my mind started to doubt about some harm might have befallen on him. [4-9-16]
atha dīrghasya kālasya bilāt tasmāt viniḥsṛtam |
saḥ phenam rudhiram dṛṣṭvā tato aham bhṛśaduḥkhitaḥ || 4-9-17
17. atha = afterwards; diirghasya kaalasya = a long time; tasmaat = from that; bilaat = from hole; vi nisR^itam = well, gush out; sa phenam = with, foam; rudhiram = blood; dR^istvaa = on seeing; tataH aham = then, I am; bhR^isha dukhitaH = deeply, saddened.
After a long time blood with foam gushed out that hole, and on seeing it I was deeply saddened. [4-9-17]
nardatām asurāṇām ca dhvaniḥ me śrotram āgataḥ |
na rastasya ca saṃgrāme krośato api svano guroḥ || 4-9-18
18. nardataam = screams; asuraaNaam ca = of the demon, also; dhvaniH = sounds; me shrotram aagataH = to my, ear, came; sangraame ratasya = in fight, involved in; kroshataH api = on who is screeching, even; guroH = of my brother; svanaH = sounds; na ca = not, even [heard.]
Sounds of screaming demon came to my ear, but the screeches of my brother who is involved in fight are unheard, in the least. [4-9-18]
aham tu avagataḥ buddhyā cihnaiḥ taiḥ bhrātaram hatam |
pidhāya ca bila dvāram śilayā giri mātrayā || 4-9-19
śokārtaḥ ca udakam kṛtvā kiṣkindhām āgataḥ sakhe |
gūhamānasya me tattvam yatnataḥ maṃtribhiḥ śrutam ||4-9-20
19. sakhe = oh, friend; aham tu = I, but; taiH cihnaiH = by those, indications; bhraataram hatam buddhyaa avagataH = brother, ended, with a mind, with thinking [infer doubtfully, surmised]; giri maatrayaa shilayaa = mountain, just in measure, with boulder; bila dvaaram pidhaaya ca = cavity's, entrance, on covering, even; shoka artaH ca udakam kR^itvaa = in sadness, pained, also, waters, performed [having oblated]; kiSkindhaam = to Kishkishkindha; aagataH = returned; me = by me; guuhamaanasya = one who is concealing; tattvam yatnataH = actuality, by persuasion; mantribhiH shrutam = by ministers, was heard.
Oh, friend, Rama... I have surmised and concluded in mind by the indications that my brother is finished, and covered the cavity's opening with a mountain similar boulder, and performed water oblations to my deceased brother with saddening pain, and then returned to Kishkindha. But the ministers have persuaded and heard from me the actual happening though I was concealing it. [4-9-19, 20]
tataḥ aham taiḥ samāgamya sametaiḥ abhiṣecitaḥ |
rājyam praśāsataḥ tasya nyāyato mama rāghava || 4-9-21
ājagāma ripum hatvā dānavam sa tu vānaraḥ |
21, 22a. tataH = then; sametaiH taiH samaagamya = all of them [the ministers,] by those ministers, summoned; aham abhishecitaH = I am, crowned; Raghava; tasya mama = such as I am, by me; raajyam nyaayataH pra shaasataH = kingdom, judiciously, while being ruled; saH vaanaraH = he, that semi-human; ripum daanavam hatvaa = enemy, demon, on killing; aajagaama = he returned.
Then duly summoned by all of those ministers I was crowned, and while I was ruling the kingdom judiciously, oh, Raghava, that semi-human Vali returned on killing that demoniac enemy. [4-9-21, 22a]
abhiṣiktam tu mām dṛṣṭvā kopāt saṃrakta locanaḥ || 4-9-22
madīyān maṃtriṇaḥ baddhvā paruṣam vākyam abravīt |
22b, 23a. abhishiktam tu maam dR^iSTvaa = who is crowned, but, me, on seeing; kopaat = in anger; sam rakta locanaH = well, reddened, eyes; madiiyaan = of me; mantriNaH = ministers; baddhvaa = arrested; paruSam vaakyam abraviit = rude, sentences, spoke.
But on seeing me crowned his eyes were reddened in anger, and he arrested all my ministers as he spoke rudely. [4-9-22b, 23a]
nigrahe ca samarthasya tam pāpam prati rāghava || 4-9-23
na prāvartata me buddhiḥ bhrātṛ gaurava yaṃtritā |
23b, 24a. Oh, Raghava; nigrahe api samarthasya = to counter him, even though, I am capable; me buddhiH = my, reason; bhraatR^i gaurava yantritaa = brotherhood, in esteem, controlled by; tam paapam prati = that, sin [of defying brother,] towards; na praavartata = not, disposed to.
And oh, Raghava, though I was capable enough to counter him, my reason was controlled by my esteem to brotherhood, and I was indisposed to commit that sin of defying brotherhood. [4-9-23b, 24a]
hatvā śatrum saḥ me bhrātā praviveśa puram tadā || 4-9-24
mānayan tam mahātmānam yathāvat ca abhiavādayam |
uktāḥ ca na āśiṣaḥ tena saṃtuṣṭena antarātmanā || 4-9-25
24b, 25. me bhraataa saH = my, brother, he that Vali; hatvaa shatrum tadaa pravivesha puram = having destroyed, enemy, then, entered, capital tam; maha aatmaanam maanayan = him that audacious soul, while respecting; yathaavat ca abhivaadayam = as usual, also, hailed; tena samtuSTena antaraatmanaa = by him, with satisfied, inner self; aashiSaH na uktaaH ca = blessings, not, said, even.
He that brother of mine entered the capital thus on destroying the enemy, and I hailed him as usual while respecting that audacious soul, but his inner self is unsatisfied and I remained unblest. [4-9-24b, 25]
natvā pādau aham tasya mukuṭena aspṛśam prabho |
api vālī mama krodhāt na prasādam cakāra saḥ || 4-9-26
26. prabhuH = oh, lord Rama; aham natvaa tasya paadau mukuTena aspR^isham = I, though bowed, at his, feet, with crown, though touched; api = even then; saH vaali krodhaat = he, that Vali, with rancour; mama prasaadam na chakaara = leniency [quarter,] not, done [showed no quarter.]
Oh, lord Rama, though I bowed with the crown touching his feet, he that rancorous Vali showed no quarter towards me." So said Sugreeva to Rama. [4-9-25]
- - -
iti vālmīki rāmāyaṇe ādi kāvye kiṣkindha kāṇḍe navamaḥ sargaḥ |
|Top of Page||1||2||3||4|
© 2000, Desiraju Hanumanta Rao [Revised : March, '04